• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Skyworld Hub - "Soaring through the Skys"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Did Sakurai chuck a MIB on people who remembered?

:135:
Exactly. He didn't want his wife knowing he and Pit secretly cheated on her with goddessess.
Palutena
Viridi
Medusa
Pandora
Amazon Pandora
Phosphora
Samus
Rosalina
Peach
Zelda
Impact
Fi
Daisy
Wii Fit Trainer
Robin
Lucina/LuCena

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Exactly. He didn't want his wife knowing he and Pit secretly cheated on her with goddessess.
Palutena
Viridi
Medusa
Pandora
Amazon Pandora
Phosphora
Samus
Rosalina
Peach
Zelda
Impact
Fi
Daisy
Wii Fit Trainer
Robin
Lucina/LuCena
Whoa, what?

Daisy? WFT? Peach?

These wafuis aren't even goddesses.

Also, who's Impact?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Whoa, what?

Daisy? WFT? Peach?

These wafuis aren't even goddesses.

Also, who's Impact?

Didn't even notice I typed that. Oh well

They might not be goddesses, but they were some of the women on the list of many one night stands. Plautena'sholding Pit back.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Didn't even notice I typed that. Oh well

They might not be goddesses, but they were some of the women on the list of many one night stands. Plautena'sholding Pit back.
*shrugs*

Wait, did you say Pit? But Pit is to innocent to like this.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Added the timestamps to the description of the video. Didn't explain much because it's all pretty, well, self-explanatory.

Still planning on making a Dair video next (not saying when because I have a tendency to break promises on things like this :estatic:) but I'm still wondering what I should be covering next. It doesn't have to be a single move, so it could be his grounded moves or throws or something like that. I really only plan on making videos that go this in-depth on important moves, so you're not going to see three minutes of Ftilts or anything.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm bored and insomniac-y, (Can of knock-off lemon-lime was actually knock-off Mountain Dew.:bee:) so I'm going to talk about what I believe to be the bottom five characters.

Fifth worst is :4dedede:. He has a few good matchups, (lol:4pit::4darkpit:) but other then that he can't do anything. His Gordos don't work as a projectile, everything is extremely slow, and he lacks a good way out of situations. His grabs and throws are good, and Gordos do shine in certain situations, but other then that there's not much.

Fourth is :4gaw:. Again, he lacks a lot of important things. Throws are nice, hits like a truck, tons of little gimmicks... But light as a feather, frame data is average at best, and he can't handle many projectiles on good characters for different reasons. Unlike everybody else in my bottom five, he feels functional, but is just underwhelming. Might end up changing if I see somebody do really, really well.

Last two had real uses, actual metagame relevance to a point. These guys have basically one notable matchup at best but really take a dive past that.

Third is :4drmario:. Big part is just being outclassed by the Mario bros. :4luigi: beats him in effective power, :4mario: in speed. I'm sure that every decent matchup Doc has is 100 times worse then the less fitting bro's equivalent. No, it's not that his matchups are all just worse then the bros, but everything he tries to do in design is done better by the other two. Like, Lucina has incredibly obvious inferiorities compared to others, (:4feroy::4pit::4marth: literally have it covered no matter what you're looking for, and at least two are much better then her) but she functions, and she functions decently well. Doc gets bopped offstage and ded like :4littlemac: on top of his other problems.

Second worst is :4zelda:. Okay, vs. :rosalina: is hilarious, (Din's Fire >>>>> Luma) but other then that she doesn't really function. Projectile is a complete joke otherwise besides dealing with the likes of :4littlemac::4feroy::4drmario:, lacks get-off-mes, few combos, KO moves are risky and inconsistent, and generally lacks reward. Not a lot to say really, since it's more that she's mediocre in most areas rather then having (comparative) extreme flaws.

Absolute worst is :4mewtwo:. Like the rest of the bottom four, survival is a major issue. His frame data is actually pretty good, but the weak moves don't combo well and the strong moves are pretty lacking compared to other characters'. Shadow Ball is great when thrown and combined with Confusion, but Confusion's drawbacks as a reflector make it ineffective at keeping really campy characters out and thus SB doesn't get used. If a character gets up close, he doesn't have any good options to escape at all. So his neutral is terrible no matter what type of character he goes against, his disadvantage is really terrible, and honestly his advantage is also bad. Every single aspect of fighting games in general, Mewtwo is terrible at. Like, he supposedly has a neutral matchup with :4villager:, but that's it. It's like Brawl Dorf but not quite as extreme, really.

Important mentions would be pre-buffs :4charizard::4dk::4lucas::4miisword:&:4robinm:. Swordfighter was a lot like Mewtwo where nothing was good, but not nearly as extreme as Mewtwo's. Probably number three on the current list. DK, Zard, and Robin had pretty much the same problem as each other, being that their grabs had no reward. They were honestly tied for fourth before they got their buffs. Lucas was just completely disfunctional before the buffs, but I think he was more around seventh then anything. Characters considered bad commonly like :4samus::4wiifit::4bowserjr::4palutena::4marth: I don't think were ever that bad, but they've mostly gotten buffs since the beginning.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
hi pit social

someone explain this bs about d3 having a reasonable matchup with pit to me, i've seen several different people say it and it seems kinda dumb but it does make me feel marginally better about getting bopped by a scrubby d3 in tournament recently. fat penguins are stupid.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
hi pit social

someone explain this bs about d3 having a reasonable matchup with pit to me, i've seen several different people say it and it seems kinda dumb but it does make me feel marginally better about getting bopped by a scrubby d3 in tournament recently. fat penguins are stupid.
Dedede is the Scrub Wrecker. Every low-level player has to go through their trial by fire against the fat penguin. It's a rite of passage. We've all been there.

Honestly, I don't know. For all the pomp and vigour about Dedede being bottom-tier, he has a tendency to beat players of low to intermediate skill level - I've even seen really good players bopped by his magnanimous hammer. Maybe it's matchup inexperience, maybe the Dedede mains know more than we do. But it can't be coincidence that I've seen quite a few people (myself included, way back when) who swear blind that Dedede is an unwinnable matchup for their character.

Hyperbole, but you get what I mean.

Join our circle, brother, drink deep of our divine nectar and grow strong of it!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I think I'm here to stay, for now at least. My character pool needs to shrink though, spreading myself too thin contributed to my worst ever tournament performance. I'd honestly get better results going solo... anyone, really, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to that. Pit is certainly in my plans for the near future, anyway.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Thing with DDD vs. Pit is that Pit's pretty helpless offstage. A good DDD can anticipate the angle you'll approach the ledge and beat out Pit's recovery every single time. Onstage though, Pit's obviously got the advantage. He just can't afford to screw up is all.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
New plan on the next video guys. Found a new tech of sorts involving edgeguarding, so I'm going to make a video about it.

I'm thinking it'll be done soon, so I'll tell you guys about it then.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I'm bored and insomniac-y, (Can of knock-off lemon-lime was actually knock-off Mountain Dew.:bee:) so I'm going to talk about what I believe to be the bottom five characters.

Fifth worst is :4dedede:. He has a few good matchups, (lol:4pit::4darkpit:) but other then that he can't do anything. His Gordos don't work as a projectile, everything is extremely slow, and he lacks a good way out of situations. His grabs and throws are good, and Gordos do shine in certain situations, but other then that there's not much.

Fourth is :4gaw:. Again, he lacks a lot of important things. Throws are nice, hits like a truck, tons of little gimmicks... But light as a feather, frame data is average at best, and he can't handle many projectiles on good characters for different reasons. Unlike everybody else in my bottom five, he feels functional, but is just underwhelming. Might end up changing if I see somebody do really, really well.

Last two had real uses, actual metagame relevance to a point. These guys have basically one notable matchup at best but really take a dive past that.

Third is :4drmario:. Big part is just being outclassed by the Mario bros. :4luigi: beats him in effective power, :4mario: in speed. I'm sure that every decent matchup Doc has is 100 times worse then the less fitting bro's equivalent. No, it's not that his matchups are all just worse then the bros, but everything he tries to do in design is done better by the other two. Like, Lucina has incredibly obvious inferiorities compared to others, (:4feroy::4pit::4marth: literally have it covered no matter what you're looking for, and at least two are much better then her) but she functions, and she functions decently well. Doc gets bopped offstage and ded like :4littlemac: on top of his other problems.

Second worst is :4zelda:. Okay, vs. :rosalina: is hilarious, (Din's Fire >>>>> Luma) but other then that she doesn't really function. Projectile is a complete joke otherwise besides dealing with the likes of :4littlemac::4feroy::4drmario:, lacks get-off-mes, few combos, KO moves are risky and inconsistent, and generally lacks reward. Not a lot to say really, since it's more that she's mediocre in most areas rather then having (comparative) extreme flaws.

Absolute worst is :4mewtwo:. Like the rest of the bottom four, survival is a major issue. His frame data is actually pretty good, but the weak moves don't combo well and the strong moves are pretty lacking compared to other characters'. Shadow Ball is great when thrown and combined with Confusion, but Confusion's drawbacks as a reflector make it ineffective at keeping really campy characters out and thus SB doesn't get used. If a character gets up close, he doesn't have any good options to escape at all. So his neutral is terrible no matter what type of character he goes against, his disadvantage is really terrible, and honestly his advantage is also bad. Every single aspect of fighting games in general, Mewtwo is terrible at. Like, he supposedly has a neutral matchup with :4villager:, but that's it. It's like Brawl Dorf but not quite as extreme, really.

Important mentions would be pre-buffs :4charizard::4dk::4lucas::4miisword:&:4robinm:. Swordfighter was a lot like Mewtwo where nothing was good, but not nearly as extreme as Mewtwo's. Probably number three on the current list. DK, Zard, and Robin had pretty much the same problem as each other, being that their grabs had no reward. They were honestly tied for fourth before they got their buffs. Lucas was just completely disfunctional before the buffs, but I think he was more around seventh then anything. Characters considered bad commonly like :4samus::4wiifit::4bowserjr::4palutena::4marth: I don't think were ever that bad, but they've mostly gotten buffs since the beginning.

Where's Spamus?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
hi pit social

G'Day

Personal, I hate DDD for his range. Much like DK. I just can't seem to get to him and always end up running into his hammer. It's freaking annoying >:I

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Where's Spamus?
Lower mid to high low. Samus is less disfunctional and more wonky. You can work around the silly stuff like her roll or weird hitboxes, but she still has problems. Honestly, people wouldn't think she's the worst if there were any signs of her getting buffed in the future. Probably the reason she wasn't buffed is Japan puts her around where I put her.

Then again, Japan somehow thinks Ike is trash and Mewtwo is functional so IDK.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lower mid to high low. Samus is less disfunctional and more wonky. You can work around the silly stuff like her roll or weird hitboxes, but she still has problems. Honestly, people wouldn't think she's the worst if there were any signs of her getting buffed in the future. Probably the reason she wasn't buffed is Japan puts her around where I put her.

Then again, Japan somehow thinks Ike is trash and Mewtwo is functional so IDK.
Japan us a weird place

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh yeah, I wrote this up after lunch for the neutral/advantage/disadvantage ratings topic. Looking at everybody else's scores, I think I undershot a bit. :p Doesn't matter that much since it turns out Pit wasn't really in the evaluation yet.

Pit's actually got a great neutral. All his aerials AC out of a SH, and the important ones can either be FF'd significantly, Fair, Bair and Nair, or has little aerial endlag, in Dair. With range that competes with Marth, that's a pretty big deal. Pit also has great dash options. Dash grab is great, and his dash attack is excellent since it's a pretty big disjoint, pokes through the bottom of shields easily, and is safe on shield if spaced properly.

Then there's his arrows... Pit's like Shiek in the sense that his arrows beat almost everything. Pit's goal is to shoot over (or under) everybody else's projectiles while either being out of range or simply jumping over it. Jumping and shooting is pretty important for Pit because that shaves off about ten frames of endlag. Shiek directly beats out projectiles, Pit dodges projectiles and counters with his own. Pit's probably a ★★★★, ★★★☆ at worst in neutral.

In disadvantage onstage, Pit's probably more average. He has a bunch of jumps, isn't particularly big, and his floatyness snuffs out more combos then it puts him into. His aerials aren't incredibly reliable for escaping though, since there's some startup on most. Nair is frame four and has a good sized hitbox though.

In disadvantage offstage, most characters can't really do anything. Pit's arrows stop most conventional follow-ups, his Fspecial's super armor lets him close the gap to the ledge easily, and between his jumps and how far his Uspecial reaches he stalls out most characters to the point where it takes a very hard read and precise spacing to even get a light hit in. Only a handful of characters can do anything to him offstage, really. More in the ★★★ to ★★★☆ range for disadvantage overall.

Advantage onstage is again average. Dthrow combos for days, Dair combos into itself and then into Uairs, Uair itself is a massive disjoint horizontally and vertically and beats out almost every other aerial action besides airdodges. (Good spacing beats out things from Wizard's Kick to Shulk's Dair.) When you do land, you have to be careful against him or he'll get another grab/Fspecial and you're back in disadvantage again. His advantage onstage is less about being extremely punishing and more about keeping you there.

Advantage offstage however is great. Arrows wreak havoc on tons of character's recoveries, Fair and Bair have ton of reach and their own different advantages, and Dair does a ton if you hit, spike or not. He can go impossibly deep too. Overall advantage I'd say is ★★★ to ★★★☆.

Quick note on Dark Pit... He trades neutral for offstage advantage. Arrows can't be used as creatively and aren't really any more rewarding. His neutral in customs off is more at ★★★, customs on is basically equal to Pit. Offstage Dark Pit is more like a ★★★★★ against the right character. His Fspecial has SA, can be recovered from, and does 9% much like Pit's does, but his launches quite strongly at an angle rather then up. The type of character Dark Pit would be fighting will be dead if they got hit by it.

In customs, the biggest thing they collectively get is Dark Pit's Fspecial plus good arrows. But compared to what everybody else gets, I'd say they get a half star in advantage when used as a pair in customs.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Anyone think Pink Fresh has been stepping his game up on his Pit?

Project_B

Smash Cadet
I don't know anything about Pink Fresh switching to Lucas, but he has seemed to be playing Pit better recently. That could just be him getting better at fundamentals though, so it's hard to tell.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Found something else. Apparently you can drop off and shoot two arrows without touching the ledge when arrow planking. Actually, it's three, but that's TAS only. :estatic:

I found this while practicing the new ledge tech, although it's not required to do double arrow planking. (You guys don't mind me naming everything do you? :lol:) It's really simple and effects a lot of Pit's ledge interactions, namely arrow planking in general. I'm trying it out and recording replays tonight, planning on uploading tomorrow night a little less late then usual. Compared to the time of this post... About three hours before this time tomorrow I'll start. Last one took like an hour for three minutes, this I'm thinking will be two.

Edit: Got the replay already. Been messing around with this whenever I got the chance to, so it didn't take long.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Isn't he going to just switch to Lucas when he gets a Wii U though?
Nah, he tried switching to Lucas some time ago, but it never works. His Pit on the other hand, got him 3rd place last week, and he almost beat Angel Cortez.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nah, he tried switching to Lucas some time ago, but it never works. His Pit on the other hand, got him 3rd place last week, and he almost beat Angel Cortez.
I'm not entirely surprised... Lucas definitely isn't trash now, but viable? Like, main viable? I don't really think so. I don't think Ness is either for similar reasons, but Lucas is still just worse then Ness.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm not entirely surprised... Lucas definitely isn't trash now, but viable? Like, main viable? I don't really think so. I don't think Ness is either for similar reasons, but Lucas is still just worse then Ness.
If Sm4sh :4lucas:and Brawl:lucas:fused together, Pink Fresh would probably use him just as much as he uses :4pit:and:4peach:(:4darkpit:he used for a tad bit against a Pikachu and Fox I believe, but never mained).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Huh?

Can you please explain, I am confused.

Arrow planking is where you hand from the ledge, pop off (preferably by pressing back instead of down), jump, and shoot an arrow. After the first arrow you can jump and shoot a second without shooting the edge of the stage.

Double arrow planking will be shown off in tonight's video, in conjunction with the new technique.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Arrow planking is where you hand from the ledge, pop off (preferably by pressing back instead of down), jump, and shoot an arrow. After the first arrow you can jump and shoot a second without shooting the edge of the stage.

Double arrow planking will be shown off in tonight's video, in conjunction with the new technique.
So, is it like when Yoshi hangs off the edge, drops, the throws an egg at you?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sorry, got on the video a little late. Says it'll take an hour to upload...

Since I doubt anybody's up anyway, I'll spill the beans on the tech.

After you perform almost any move, the animation lingers past the FAF. Usually this is irrelevant, but for aerial actions it keeps you from ledge grabbing. It's a big pain for arrow planking right? Well, you can Fspecial and you'll ledge snap on frame one, meaning you can cut down time spent fumbling around the ledge. There's lots of other applications too, shown off in the video. Hope you guys tune in, I should get everything set up proper tomorrow. I'll try and post it tonight if I'm awake. :p

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sorry, got on the video a little late. Says it'll take an hour to upload...

Since I doubt anybody's up anyway, I'll spill the beans on the tech.

After you perform almost any move, the animation lingers past the FAF. Usually this is irrelevant, but for aerial actions it keeps you from ledge grabbing. It's a big pain for arrow planking right? Well, you can Fspecial and you'll ledge snap on frame one, meaning you can cut down time spent fumbling around the ledge. There's lots of other applications too, shown off in the video. Hope you guys tune in, I should get everything set up proper tomorrow. I'll try and post it tonight if I'm awake. :p
What's FAF?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
FAF means "First active Frame" and it is the first frame whereupon you are free to act after using a move. Basically, it is the total number of frames that occur after any action.
Oh, so I'm guessing it goes hand to hand with ISAS?

Project_B

Smash Cadet
I think that you mean IASA (Interruptible as soon as) which is when an attack can be cancelled into another attack. They are similar, but FAF is when the attack ends, and IASA is when you can cancel a move with another input (like Ryu dashing out of his focus attack, iirc).

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think that you mean IASA (Interruptible as soon as) which is when an attack can be cancelled into another attack. They are similar, but FAF is when the attack ends, and IASA is when you can cancel a move with another input (like Ryu dashing out of his focus attack, iirc).
Ah yes, I meant IASA.

Though I don't think Ryu's down b is the best example, since it was made so that if you land the hit, you can cancel it, rather than cancelling the move while the animation is still happen.

Know what, never mind.

Top Bottom