• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Toad is one of the characters who I think really deserves to be represented in smash whether it's Toad, Blue Toad, Captain Toad, Toadette, or whatever toad. It hurts to see Bowser Jr., Koopalings, and Dr. Mario over him (though I love BJ) while he remains a useless shield for peach.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well all we can do is hope and insist to all our friends who own wii u to buy treasure tracker

And I'm with you on the treasure tracker dlc I hope I continues this trend nintendo is starting where we get dlc based on other games imagine a level based on kirby
Ooohh!!! I would love DLC levels based on Kirby, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Wind Waker.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ooohh!!! I would love DLC levels based on Kirby, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Wind Waker.
Exactly all them would be awesome, after sonic lost world and mario kart 8 I really hope this dlc crossover becomes a regular thing

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Treasure Tracker x Zelda would be brilliant!
Can you imagine little Toad dressed as Link? That would be so adorable :3

Just replace coins with rupees, add in some Wind Waker-style Zelda enemies, and design the levels after Zelda locations. It would be perfect; I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
This is the great thing about Treasure Tracker being the launch for Captain Toad's true thrust into the spotlight. It doesn't HAVE to be in the Mushroom Kingdom; he's a great explorer, remember? He could not only visit other Nintendo-verses (and dress accordingly, I'm smiling over the thought of Toad in Link, Fox, and Samus costumes) but discover universes of his own. Will Nintendo take advantage of the fact that he's a space leader? ...probably not, but it'd be awesome if they did.

As depressing as it is to see all these other Mario characters get in (especially Dr. Mario...) I guess it's great enough that Captain Toad is getting his own game/series. At least we get that!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
This is the great thing about Treasure Tracker being the launch for Captain Toad's true thrust into the spotlight. It doesn't HAVE to be in the Mushroom Kingdom; he's a great explorer, remember? He could not only visit other Nintendo-verses (and dress accordingly, I'm smiling over the thought of Toad in Link, Fox, and Samus costumes) but discover universes of his own. Will Nintendo take advantage of the fact that he's a space leader? ...probably not, but it'd be awesome if they did.
I think it would be neat if Treasure Tracker was about Captain Toad's journey around the Mario universe.
The worlds could be Mushroom Kingdom, Delfino Island, Sarasa Land, Subcon, Yoshi Island, The Galaxy... They could really go all-out with this game!

As cool as having Toad travel the Nintendo universe would be, I don't think Nintendo would do it... but I'd still be happy to see him travel the Marioverse, especially if it brings back some classic locations.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sarasa Land

...my god, yes. That location alone would do it for me, we barely know anything about that land despite it's Princess appearing in every Mario spinoff under the sun. Last time we visited Sarasa Land all the creatures were possessed or something. I'd like to know what Daisy's equivalent to Peach and Rosalina's Toad and Luma species is already.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Does anybody else think that a level editor would be a perfect feature for Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker?

The simple puzzle mechanics and cube-based environments lend very well to a level builder.
Imagine being able to build levels by using the GamePad, by dragging and dropping blocks, enemies, and collectibles on the touchscreen.
They could even integrate this into Miiverse by allowing people to share, download, and rate levels!

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
That's a neat idea and I hadn't envisioned it ! It's true that it could easily work and it would be awesome and give the game a lot of replayability.

My Nintendo dumb ass mode senses are tingling. I don't know what's causing it but it's tingling heavily.

Maybe it's because they might market this poorly therefore wasting EAD Tokyo's efforts. Curse my senses. Please be wrong. You guys wanna predict its opening week sales for the lulz?

Or maybe it's that they're actually having a tough time deciding when to localize Fatal Frame 5

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dammit Nintendo. Reveal info about the game already....
I really wish Nintendo is doing more to promote Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. It's bad enough that they didn't offer Toad recolors and Captain Toad as a separate character in Mario Kart 8 DLC. Captain Toad would have been available in Mario Kart 8 when his own game comes out.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping they'll do the same type of promotion similar to SM3DW as last year. Release a trailer that completely blows away the fans - as I remember, SM3DW was considered disappointing during the E3, but it was MUCH more accepted once the trailer came around during September-October.

Though I too hope Nintendo releases some kind of information related to the game soon. I want to know more about the game and the game seriously needs more hype at this point of time. It's been 3 months since we got any kind of new information about the game (aside from a few screenshots). I sure hope we get a new Wii U direct soon.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I'm hoping they'll do the same type of promotion similar to SM3DW as last year. Release a trailer that completely blows away the fans - as I remember, SM3DW was considered disappointing during the E3, but it was MUCH more accepted once the trailer came around during September-October.

Though I too hope Nintendo releases some kind of information related to the game soon. I want to know more about the game and the game seriously needs more hype at this point of time. It's been 3 months since we got any kind of new information about the game (aside from a few screenshots). I sure hope we get a new Wii U direct soon.
Mm, don't count on it. Our SM3DW savior trailer came in October, so we could be looking at around then. However, it always could be subject to change.

Even with 3D World, though, they had interviews, developer directs, etc. Of course because it's a Mario game, but considering this is Captain Toad (who, in all honesty, has now surpassed many other Nintendo characters in terms of importance) we should be getting more than we are now. If I remember correctly, the last thing we got (besides the 2015 launch window) was someone at NoA saying the game isn't an expanded version of the 3D World bits but its own thing.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Please add my name to the supporters list.

Like many of you here, I too am disappointed by Toad's fate in this game. It truly is saddening to see a beloved character to be pushed aside as a "meatshield" for the third time in a row. If Sakurai truly is unwilling to add Toad in the roster, I do hope Captain Toad fares better.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
omg
i just found a toad specials moveset i made a while back, before the leak
i made 3 specials for each move because idk if they were good or not

[collapse= Specials Moveset]
Standard: Bazooka. Toad takes out his bazooka and fires it. The farther it goes, the more damage it does. 25 max damage.

Standard 2: Spores. Toad shoots out spores that paralyze the enemy for a short while.

Standard 3: Bombs. Toad pulls out bombs that can be thrown.

Recovery: Propeller Hat. Toad puts on his propeller hat and propells into the air.

Recovery 2: Jetpack. Toad puts on his jetpack and takes flight.

Recovery 3: Bubble. Toad gets into a bubble and flies off.

Down Special: Toad pulls out a turnip. Able to be thrown.

Down Special 2: Toad pulls out a healing Mushroom. It can heal Toad by 10%, but takes long to pull out. It can also be taken from Toad, but heals 5% if they use it.

Down Special 3: Shrink Shroom. Toad shoots a Shrink Shroom at the opponent and it shrinks them for 3 seconds. 5-10 damage.

Side Special: Hammer. Toad brings out a chargable hammer.

Side Special 2: Toad hops in his Kart and rams his opponents.

Side Special 3: Toad summons Wanda to dash in and drop a bomb. If used again, the bomb explodes. (basically you control when it explodes)

Final Smash: Toad Brigade. Toad hops into his ship and drops down Bomb-Ombs and Star Bits on the opposing characters.
[/collapse]

sadly i haven't made a captain toad specials moveset in the past. :c

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Pretty nifty moveset you got there!

Dang, if only Toad was seen using that bazooka of his. That would have been so EPIC. :o

So far, this is what I've seen for Captain Toad from his debut to Treasure Tracker:

*Starshroom (potential FS/recovery?)
*Toad Brigade crew (assisting characters for FS? Assist Trophy? Alts?)
*Stars/Green Stars (an attack?)
*Pickaxe (a potential move/Smash attack)
*Turnips (at this point, it's hard to deny that turnips have become iconic to Toad - potential move variation)
*Minecart (a move?)
*Propeller platforms (recovery? substitute for jumps?)
*Gems/diamonds (attack? shield?)
*Backpack (weight alteration?)
*Biddy Bud? (this is random, but perhaps the little bug enemy can be used as a recovery and they're pretty common in 3D World)
*A massive dragon to demolish stages with as a FINAL SMASH
*Anything moves and abilities that Toad himself and the Toads from NSMB are able to perform as well.

Additionally, who knows what other tricks the good captain has under his sleeve in Treasure Tracker. We'll just have to wait and see!

Also welcome back Zap tackle! Haven't seen you for a while. :0

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
New Captain Toad screens if you haven't seen:
http://www.explosion.com/67294/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-receives-some-new-screenshots/

Also, one of my friends found a Captain Toad "leak" in Smash. I dunno, it seems awfully fake, but I'll put it here anyways:
photo.JPG

From what he told me, this is the list of Pros and Cons it's got going for it.

Cons:
-Captain's pose looks a lot like one from another screenshot
-Things like weird distortion at the right and the awful lighting aren't good signs
-No shadows for the characters
-Turnips are already a part of Peach's moveset
-Gotten from a Smash fansite

Pros:
-Removed by Nintendo, with the claim saying it was their property
-The turnip looks different from the picture Toad could've been pulled from (however, the turnip could've been pulled from a different image)

As you can see, I'm really thinking this is fake. It seems way too artificial, and the "claim" from Nintendo could've been fake. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, that pose of Captain Toad looks way too similar to this:

Also I kind of doubt Captain Toad: TT content in this build of SM4SH for now - the game is too recent. Maybe for DLC.

But dang man... you don't know how much I wish that screenshot of Captain Toad in SM4SH to be true. DX Toad has always been the contender for rumours in Smash...

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Honestly, that pose of Captain Toad looks way too similar to this:

Also I kind of doubt Captain Toad: TT content in this build of SM4SH for now - the game is too recent. Maybe for DLC.

But dang man... you don't know how much I wish that screenshot of Captain Toad in SM4SH to be true. DX Toad has always been the contender for rumours in Smash...
Yeah, that's what I thought. We should tell whoever made that leak that, instead of creating screenshots, they can come here and reason with us :D
He has? I see people reasoning any other character BUT Toad...Waluigi, Krystal, Chorus Men, even Goomba and Koopa Troopa.
I was thinking about that MK8 DLC though...it's strange to see Nintendo disregard the horrendous Battle Mode, correct?
What if they're planning DLC for (battle arenas and stuff) and are planning to release Toad and Koopa Troopa recolors? Or maybe different Toads, such as Captain or power-ups?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
http://www.explosion.com/67294/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-receives-some-new-screenshots/

Also, one of my friends found a Captain Toad "leak" in Smash. I dunno, it seems awfully fake, but I'll put it here anyways:
View attachment 23815

Cons:
-Things like weird distortion at the right and the awful lighting aren't good signs

Pros:
-The turnip looks different from the picture Toad could've been pulled from (however, the turnip could've been pulled from a different image)

As you can see, I'm really thinking this is fake. It seems way too artificial, and the "claim" from Nintendo could've been fake. What do you guys think?
Incredibly fake IMO, as much as I wish it wasn't. I can't quite place my finger on that turnip though...it looks familiar, I'm just not sure from where.

Whilst I don't think Captain Toad sharing turnips with Peach is a bad thing(considering clone moves being a thing), the fact it's so badly photographed automatically makes me think it's a big old fake.

I like the new batch of screenshots though. Look at the shine effects on the Shy Guy masks!

A little disappointed there's no screens from any previously unseen stages though. I want to see some more info of this game!

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

View attachment 23815

Cons:

Pros:

Looks fake but I'll give credit to whoever made this because it doesn't look too bad.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Wow, the picture has so much glare and distortion we can't check for photoshop errors!
How awfully convenient.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Also, new thing, but does anyone else think that turnip in this "leak" looks a bit out of place? It seems to stand out too much...

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I thought that turnip looked awfully familiar...

Doesn't the turnip in the blurry leak pic strongly resemble the turnip that the captain is tossing in this screenshot?

On a side note, dang...Captain Toad is loaded with turnips. :o

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Look at the direct and go to the part with final destination stages. It's fake.
BTW, I support. Toad seriously should get in to Smash at this point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope that leaked blurry picture is Captain Toad as a playable character and not as an Assist Trophy. But I am positive it is fake. Sakurai would never include a playable Toad in Smash.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai sure has put us all down in the dumps, but let's not give up just yet. Captain Toad truly is opening the doors for potential. He's a character that's all about wits and quick-thinking as opposed to super powers. I'm curious to see what Treasure Tracker brings in for Toad.

Also agreed - someone really did quite an interesting job with this fake leak. Also I was referring to the Melee leaks with Toad, Albo. The whole "shoot all the credits" sequence which would unlock Toad. Well...at least we're still sailing in the same boat as the Ridley and King K. Rool fans. We all obviously missed our stop at Melee and are still sailing somewhere...

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
I support Captain Toad for Smash 4!
Toad should really be included due to the fact that it would complete the Mario quartet.
I may have my doubts of seeing him in the initial roster, I think Nintendo will drop a bombshell of Captain Toad DLC to promote his new game. Mark my words, he will be in everything from Smash Bros, to Mario Kart!
and hyrule warriors
All in all, I guess you could say I'm.....
READY FOR ADVENTURE!!!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I hope that leaked blurry picture is Captain Toad as a playable character and not as an Assist Trophy. But I am positive it is fake. Sakurai would never include a playable Toad in Smash.
don't jynx it pls

it'd be purdy funny if this happened tho

Smash 5:

Challenger Approaching! A Toad has appeared for the battle!

fyi im talking about slippy toad :)

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the support and motivation for those joining! :D We'll all be doing our best to hope and see our captain make it to Smash Bros. as a playable character!

Also Hyrule Warriors, eh? Now that would be beyond epic to see Captain Toad there! xD

May as well call the game "Toad Warriors" :p

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
New members have been added to the OP!

I really like this idea of Captain Toad appearing in literally everything even if it's just a cameo. Anyone got any other ideas?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I'll bite...
SM4SH - Finally made into a playable character with his own DLC pack. Comes with his own stage that could probably be a shifting/rotating stage that rotates around similar to Brinstar Depths. Oh yes, and he gets his own Amiibo for SM4SH too.

Mario Kart 8 - Captain Toad is playable (as a heavy character due to this backpack) and his DLC pack includes recolours for Toad. Comes with a vehicle that is based off the minecart from his game.

Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo really wants to promote Treasure Tracker and makes him a playable character. Link's in Mario Kart - forget Mario, just add Captain Toad here! :p A sage? A miner based moveset with dual pickaxes? Launching his fellow brigade members from cannons? Regardless, the captain will definitely be awesome regardless. :troll:

Pokemon Omega/Alpha Sapphire - Captain Toad is the new champion. Surely has a Breloom, Amoongus, Parasect on his party. Grass types? Fighting types? Poison types? Holy shrooms, Captain Toad must be a competitive battler!

Mario Maker - Toad is playable for the jump factor. Captain Toad gets his own mode which is similar to his games, but the player can make retro levels with the Captain Toad gameplay.

Mario Party 10 - Captain Toad: "Time for a PARTY!"

Yoshi's Woolly Word - Captain Toad levels make a cameo appearance in a woolly form. Woolly Captain Toad waves from the background. Probably mining through woolly caves or some woolly mess.

StarFox U- Captain Toad randomly flies through the sky in his starshroom. Probably has some airship repair shop too somewhere.

Zelda U - Captain Toad can be called upon using the "Toad Tuner". When used in specific locations, the player can control Captain Toad and collect rupees.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Captain Toad's probably just floating around somewhere... Probably makes a cameo in the background of one of the mini-games.

Xenoblade X - Captain Toad befriends the Nopons and Riki.

Splatoon - Some painting of Captain Toad is displayed in some area.

Animal Crossing U - Captain Toad moves in as a turnip collector! Sets up a Toad House too.

H-how's that? o.o Damn..I'd laugh if Nintendo does make random cameos for Captain Toad in almost all the upcoming games.

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Thanks for all the support and motivation for those joining! :D We'll all be doing our best to hope and see our captain make it to Smash Bros. as a playable character!

Also Hyrule Warriors, eh? Now that would be beyond epic to see Captain Toad there! xD

May as well call the game "Toad Warriors" :p
Oh my god :laugh:

New members have been added to the OP!

I really like this idea of Captain Toad appearing in literally everything even if it's just a cameo. Anyone got any other ideas?
I'll bite...
SM4SH - Finally made into a playable character with his own DLC pack. Comes with his own stage that could probably be a shifting/rotating stage that rotates around similar to Brinstar Depths. Oh yes, and he gets his own Amiibo for SM4SH too.

Mario Kart 8 - Captain Toad is playable (as a heavy character due to this backpack) and his DLC pack includes recolours for Toad. Comes with a vehicle that is based off the minecart from his game.

Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo really wants to promote Treasure Tracker and makes him a playable character. Link's in Mario Kart - forget Mario, just add Captain Toad here! :p A sage? A miner based moveset with dual pickaxes? Launching his fellow brigade members from cannons? Regardless, the captain will definitely be awesome regardless. :troll:

Pokemon Omega/Alpha Sapphire - Captain Toad is the new champion. Surely has a Breloom, Amoongus, Parasect on his party. Grass types? Fighting types? Poison types? Holy shrooms, Captain Toad must be a competitive battler!

Mario Maker - Toad is playable for the jump factor. Captain Toad gets his own mode which is similar to his games, but the player can make retro levels with the Captain Toad gameplay.

Mario Party 10 - Captain Toad: "Time for a PARTY!"

Yoshi's Woolly Word - Captain Toad levels make a cameo appearance in a woolly form. Woolly Captain Toad waves from the background. Probably mining through woolly caves or some woolly mess.

StarFox U- Captain Toad randomly flies through the sky in his starshroom. Probably has some airship repair shop too somewhere.

Zelda U - Captain Toad can be called upon using the "Toad Tuner". When used in specific locations, the player can control Captain Toad and collect rupees.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Captain Toad's probably just floating around somewhere... Probably makes a cameo in the background of one of the mini-games.

Xenoblade X - Captain Toad befriends the Nopons and Riki.

Splatoon - Some painting of Captain Toad is displayed in some area.

Animal Crossing U - Captain Toad moves in as a turnip collector! Sets up a Toad House too.

H-how's that? o.o Damn..I'd laugh if Nintendo does make random cameos for Captain Toad in almost all the upcoming games.
OMG Captain Toad is a new Pokemon in the new Pokemon games!!!

And he has a Primal Reversion too!!!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
So I assume Captain Toad is gonna be an early game bulky-sweeper? Dang, the captain has been working out. xDD

More future Captain cameos! Looks like even Sega likes Captain Toad. :troll:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
So I assume Captain Toad is gonna be an early game bulky-sweeper? Dang, the captain has been working out. xDD

More future Captain cameos! Looks like even Sega likes Captain Toad. :troll:

I can't wait for those games, but I'm more excited for this one!!

Top Bottom