• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'd like a new Toad game... not necessarily a Captain Toad game... maybe a sidescrolling platformer but it plays like Wario's Woods where Toad needs to pick up and carry stacks of mushroom blocks to climb to the goal... Toad can pick up and carry enemies like in SMB2, Toad can walk on walls like in WW... Toad might enter puzzle rooms where he needs to clear out enemies by matching colors like in WW before he can continue with his adventure... it's more like a cross between SMB2 and WW...

Toad could have new abilities such as throwing enemies and objects from the stack he's carrying in any direction... like where you press a button to make a cursor appear, you press the same button again to make Toad throw something from his stack at the cursor's direction... Toad can carry up to six enemies and objects at a time... and he can jump while carrying the stack too... and he can pick up more enemies and objects and add them to the stack.
I love platformers, but I think Toad would be better having a franchise of a different genre (puzzle) with the Captain Toad franchise instead of having yet another platforming series coming from Nintendo. Variety is nice. :)

Edit: Add me to the supporters list, too! Please and thank you. I like the idea of Capt. Toad being in Smash and the only thing I had against him was that the Mario franchise is already very well represented, but since we are getting Fire Emblem characters left and right, why not one more Mario rep as well?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love platformers, but I think Toad would be better having a franchise of a different genre (puzzle) with the Captain Toad franchise instead of having yet another platforming series coming from Nintendo. Variety is nice. :)

Edit: Add me to the supporters list, too! Please and thank you. I like the idea of Capt. Toad being in Smash and the only thing I had against him was that the Mario franchise is already very well represented, but since we are getting Fire Emblem characters left and right, why not one more Mario rep as well?
I am happy you realized that we don't have to not support a character just because their series already has too many characters.

So what if Fire Emblem has 5 characters, support more characters if you want them

So what if Kid Icarus has 3 characters, support more characters if you want them.

So what if Pokemon has 6 characters, support more characters if you want them. Additionally, so what if it has 4 1st Gen Pokemon, support more if you want them.

Reila

I am happy you realized that we don't have to not support a character just because their series already has too many characters.

So what if Fire Emblem has 5 characters, support more characters if you want them

So what if Kid Icarus has 3 characters, support more characters if you want them.

So what if Pokemon has 6 characters, support more characters if you want them. Additionally, so what if it has 4 1st Gen Pokemon, support more if you want them.
Yeah, but I still give preference to characters of less represented/unrepresented series. Like Rhythm Heaven... >_>

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, but I still give preference to characters of less represented/unrepresented series. Like Rhythm Heaven... >_>
Personally I tend to like characters due to liking them, but we're all different.

Regardless welcome to the Toad Brigade. We're a little understated but a friendly bunch.

In other news; Captain Toad is apparently in the top 20 most wanted in Japan. He ranks 20th, admittedly, but until now we had no idea if he had any support at all over there.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why not both?

I support certain characters from franchises that already have many characters.

I also support certain characters from unrepresented franchises that I like...

• Advance Wars (I like the idea of playing as a generic Infantry Unit)
  • Captain N (it's still Nintendo)
  • Castlevania (I want Simon Belmont, dammit!)
  • Chibi-Robo!
  • Golden Sun
  • Mole Mania
  • Pushmo
  • Puzzle League
  • Rhythm Heaven (the idea of Chorus Kids grew on me thanks to the Gematsu Leak)
  • Splatoon
  • StarTropics
  • StreetPass Mii Plaza (the Wandering Heroes from Find Mii; they are cats, dogs, and bunnies; I want more Mii Fighters :awesome:)
  • The Legendary Starfy
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
For already-represented franchises, I mainly want Captain Toad, and perhaps Hawlucha?

For reps from brand-new franchises, the Inklings -- my most wanted newcomer -- are way up there, but I'd also be down for Boxboy and Wonder-Red. And the ICs, if we're counting vets. Basically, I'd be down for most of the stuff in this post.

Most of my most wanted ones are from already-represented franchises (K. Rool, Dee, Wolf, Cpt. Toad) and two others are third-parties (Black Mage and Bomberman).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If we're talking other characters...

Whilst Captain Toad is the main one I've been asking for, I've also thrown in a vote for the following;

Dixie Kong
Impa
Meowth(yes I know he's impossible this game)
Bandana Dee
Inklings
Samurai Goroh(see Meowth)

I also passively support Isaac, Chibi Robo and Vaati.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
If we're talking other characters...

Whilst Captain Toad is the main one I've been asking for, I've also thrown in a vote for the following;

Dixie Kong
Impa
Meowth(yes I know he's impossible this game)
Bandana Dee
Inklings
Samurai Goroh(see Meowth)

I also passively support Isaac, Chibi Robo and Vaati.
Great taste in characters.

Reila

Personally I tend to like characters due to liking them, but we're all different.

Regardless welcome to the Toad Brigade. We're a little understated but a friendly bunch.

In other news; Captain Toad is apparently in the top 20 most wanted in Japan. He ranks 20th, admittedly, but until now we had no idea if he had any support at all over there.
I should clarify that I don't support any character solely because they come from an unrepresented series. For example: I couldn't care less about Isaac being playable. It is just that if I had to choose between say, Inkling and Adeleine, I would choose Inkling, because I like the character and Splatoon lacks representation. The most important aspect for me still is how much I like the character.
Why not both?
That is precisely what I am doing by supporting Captain Toad and Adeleine (Kirby) :p

It's nice to see the Captain have some support.
Sure, he was at the bottom,but at least he made it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@@BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
So, Super Mario Maker is out, and Toad is thirty years old today. Rather fitting, then, that the new game may hide a bit of new information about him.

So, as you may know, scanning in an amiibo in Super Mario Maker allows you to play as that character in-game. It's only in the Super Mario Bros. game style, and it's merely cosmetic, but any non-Mii, non-card amiibo is compatible. If you beat the 100- or 10-Mario challenge's final level while using one of these costumes, Peach or Toad will react in a different way -- for example, Peach is shocked if you play as Bowser.

Now, I can't confirm this myself, but apparently, scanning in the Toad amiibo and beating the challenge also has a unique reaction. The Toad that would normally inform you that the Princess is in another castle, now refers to you as "Captain". Apparently Captain Toad is "the" Toad, or at least "the" Toad that is featured on the amiibo figure.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
More Captain Toad support in Japan is fine and all, but it's actually surprising that he managed to beat out Daisy since the last time. So not much had really changed with his other Mario competitors like Geno and Paper Mario knowing how huge those two always were. This alone makes me more excited to see the international results next month since it would be interesting to see how well Cap fared in the Smash Ballot.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now, I can't confirm this myself, but apparently, scanning in the Toad amiibo and beating the challenge also has a unique reaction. The Toad that would normally inform you that the Princess is in another castle, now refers to you as "Captain". Apparently Captain Toad is "the" Toad, or at least "the" Toad that is featured on the amiibo figure.
Interesting. If someone can confirm this, this creates some contradictory statements to the one we heard in the interview. I'd be interested in seeing a screen if you can manage it too.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Interesting. If someone can confirm this, this creates some contradictory statements to the one we heard in the interview. I'd be interested in seeing a screen if you can manage it too.
I've only heard of this on an image-less IGN wiki. It wouldn't be very easy to test, either -- you'd have to finish the challenge with a level containing a Toad amiibo costume. :/

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So, Super Mario Maker is out, and Toad is thirty years old today. Rather fitting, then, that the new game may hide a bit of new information about him.

So, as you may know, scanning in an amiibo in Super Mario Maker allows you to play as that character in-game. It's only in the Super Mario Bros. game style, and it's merely cosmetic, but any non-Mii, non-card amiibo is compatible. If you beat the 100- or 10-Mario challenge's final level while using one of these costumes, Peach or Toad will react in a different way -- for example, Peach is shocked if you play as Bowser.

Helps my theory that Captain Toad is the main Toad featured in all the spinoffs. I still think that's him (Plus imagine the amount of appearance for him lol).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Well, there it is.

My theory to this is that localization put this to fight also against inconsistencies of Toad's identity in the games (since this apparently contradicts the interview about Captain Toad's relation to "The Toad"). Though if anything, this confirms that (Blue) Toad from SM3DW is not "Captain" that we've all grown up with to this day.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@@BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.
BTW, @BluePikmin11, I've been meaning to ask you, when added Captain Toad to your poll, were the results of Captain Toad also affecting "Cadet" Toadette, or is that just my wacky imagination wanting that to happen? :p

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I want to ask, how can Captain Toad work, he can't jump?

Last edited:
But Isn't the the gimmick of his game that he can't jump? How could they not incorporate him without his iconic pack?
Olimar's gimmick is having an army. He now has 3 in smash
Captain Falcon's gimmick is driving
Ness's gimmick is mostly defensive and status PSI. He uses 1 defensive PSI and 4 offensive attacks in smash
Shulk's gimmick of special spells got turned on it's head to not make any sense in smash as buffs.

Smash isn't canon and never has been. artistic liberties are the name of the game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Olimar's gimmick is having an army. He now has 3 in smash
Captain Falcon's gimmick is driving
Ness's gimmick is mostly defensive and status PSI. He uses 1 defensive PSI and 4 offensive attacks in smash
Shulk's gimmick of special spells got turned on it's head to not make any sense in smash as buffs.

Smash isn't canon and never has been. artistic liberties are the name of the game.
As has been said, (or at the very least, strongly, STRONGLY implied by by now, to the point that it's taken as fact) Smash is NOT canon, for all we know, a child (Just for kicks, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the child in question could be a boy OR a girl, even though it is more likely a boy than anything else.) simply has one HECK of a vivid imagination, and imagines that their trophies/action figures come to life to fight, and it looks like the child in question does not give much of a rat's tail on "canon" in various video game series.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
As has been said, (or at the very least, strongly, STRONGLY implied by by now, to the point that it's taken as fact) Smash is NOT canon, for all we know, a child (Just for kicks, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the child in question could be a boy OR a girl, even though it is more likely a boy than anything else.) simply has one HECK of a vivid imagination, and imagines that their trophies/action figures come to life to fight, and it looks like the child in question does not give much of a rat's tail on "canon" in various video game series.
Isn't he an adult now?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
But Isn't the the gimmick of his game that he can't jump? How could they not incorporate him without his iconic pack?
No, the gimmick of the game is to make a platformer into a puzzler by giving the playable character a limited form of mobility.
In Smash, this can translate to Captain Toad having a bad mobility, but having tools through his specials to overcome that.

You can watch a moveset at page 41

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I want to ask, how can Captain Toad work, he can't jump?
Probably the most common question we get here. There are ways around it for sure however.

The reason for his backpack being the plot excuse to why he can't jump is of course he's weighed down by all his treasures/equipment. What a well prepared fellow.
However you could technically turn this weighing down into a mechanic for him in Smash by having him collect items to become heavier and harder to knock off the stage or unleash his load to make himself lighter and nimbler.

Alternatively you could have him not jump at all, and instead have his various jumps performed by other things to get him higher; a cannon, a floating platform, a ladder, etc. As Captain Toad is also about manipulating your environment to get around, having objects out of CT's physical body help him get around is rather in character I think.

Another option would be to sacrifice the two regular jumps entirely and have an absolutely amazing up+B as his sole recovery. Plenty of risk-reward if that's his only means of returning. To balance I'd hope he'd be given some incredible aerial attacks that deal serious damage; if only to encourage the players to do as Captain Toad does; and risk their life for some delicious rewards.

Top Bottom