• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrink's View/Guide on Olly in Doubles

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
hmmmmmmmm, thanks for the answer... new question... my friend can play diddy and mk... he wants to do mk/oli team... but i keep telling him that the diddy/oli combo is way better.main reason... has anyone tried to banana spam with oli? its broken haha, also most oli's can keep track of bananas since oli's are used to keeping track of their pikmin. oli and diddy both have spikes, they are both very mobile... theres alot to say.... but what is everyone else's opinion?

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
hmmmmmmmm, thanks for the answer... new question... my friend can play diddy and mk... he wants to do mk/oli team... but i keep telling him that the diddy/oli combo is way better.main reason... has anyone tried to banana spam with oli? its broken haha, also most oli's can keep track of bananas since oli's are used to keeping track of their pikmin. oli and diddy both have spikes, they are both very mobile... theres alot to say.... but what is everyone else's opinion?
OLI/MK - absolutely - considering you play with the competative standard this means that friendly fire is on. With bananas on the ground this means that olly must spend his time in the air or be a standstill player. By limiting olly's ability to hold his second jump - you reduce your ability to space and most importantly you are much easier to gimp - much easier. I'm not saying the diddy team WOULDN'T work...but I have chosen to play on a mk/olly team which is possibly the best team that olly matches up in.

-Shrink

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
hmmmmmmm, i am one of the few aggressive olimars.... so i'm in the air anyway.... and like... if diddy does nto trip o bannas, why should i? and olimar and diddy have the same dash atk, so picking them up is easy... do u have any friends that play a decent diddy that u could try the team with? o yea... also, the fact that diddy has "diddy hump" and a spike.. allows for mind games off the stage that ensure death when we do it correctly, like i'll go for a spike and if they air dodge, diddy will "diddy hump" them or spike depending on where they are.

monday or tuesday... i'll see if me and my friend can make vids of oli/mk and oli/diddy.. and you can tell me which seems to work best for our playstyle. and if you see any flaws with either playstyle

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
hmmmmmmm, i am one of the few aggressive olimars.... so i'm in the air anyway.... and like... if diddy does nto trip o bannas, why should i? and olimar and diddy have the same dash atk, so picking them up is easy... do u have any friends that play a decent diddy that u could try the team with? o yea... also, the fact that diddy has "diddy hump" and a spike.. allows for mind games off the stage that ensure death when we do it correctly, like i'll go for a spike and if they air dodge, diddy will "diddy hump" them or spike depending on where they are.

monday or tuesday... i'll see if me and my friend can make vids of oli/mk and oli/diddy.. and you can tell me which seems to work best for our playstyle. and if you see any flaws with either playstyle
alright - you showed you disagreement well - i can't wait to see your videos.

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friend have put together a oli + marth team.

We decided that i should stay more grounded and he should be in the air.

Is that a good idea.

And can you post some good tactics for us.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Me and my friend have put together a oli + marth team.

We decided that i should stay more grounded and he should be in the air.

Is that a good idea.

And can you post some good tactics for us.
This is the "easiest" teammate to pick up with olly - across the board, Marth has everything that olly wants in a teammate - combo ability - speed, ability to go off the stage - its all there. Olly also picks up the slack when it comes to marth's lack of killing ability.

For strats - for one OLLY MUST STAY ON THE STAGE...allow marth to go off the edge - now everythin that marth goes off the stage, olly should head right to the edge and protect to make sure your teammate doesn't get gimped. Another positive strat is to allow the marth to stand behind the olly while olly throws pikmin - when the opponent charges, move back as the marth begins a fair combo.

Both of you have spikes!!! Abuse them!

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I personally prefer Snake, I know Falco prefers the air but lets leave him out of this.

Few reasons for Snake on a team.

Heavy, explosives, amazing strength and projectiles and mine games.

Some tactics I like is that Mortar Sliding allows for both Snake to get out of the gate fast and split up. But it also lets you force an opponent into a direction you want, i.e. snake slides and jumps toward them with a Back air and misses but you have an up smash waiting.

Grab game with Snake is ridiculous, grab down throw lets them choose their poison. They roll they are going be killed via tech chase.

Example
T
________O____V_S_____

V=Victim
T=Victim's Teammate
S is for Snake and O is for Oli Oli O!!!

So Snake sets them down from the grab.
1a) Attacks so Snake Regrabs and/or you Up Smash
1b) normal get up and gets grabbed, feed him to the pikmin its time to latch
2) V rolls away and Snake Tech chases and you attack the opponent.
3) Rolls toward you, Oli grabs and Snake RPGs

Assuming the teammate got knocked away or is recovering.

But one moment of loneliness is enough to score a kill. RPG is devastating and the Pikmin latch while some one is being held up with Snake is amazing. Because latching a white and one other and then setting them down is enough to make most people do a get up attack and you proceed to control the match.

C4 teammates! Hey it might seem stupid but it works really well, Especially if you catch some one and give them the C4. Getting some one stuck with C4 and Olimar's Up throw around 60% is about as good as Death, or just with Olimar doing an Up air.

Grenades and Mines are tough to follow but pay attention and you will be fine.

BTW fun combo from 0%
Oli grabs and up throws, Snake Short Hops Neutral Air, Olimar Up airs and Snake Charges up an Up smash. A seriously nasty comb I only got off once but great none the less.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Me and a Diddy are joining the same League as Pokerface and the Marth :p. Any strats? We've come up with some already, but posting them would be stupid because our enemies can see them :O.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I personally prefer Snake, I know Falco prefers the air but lets leave him out of this.

Some tactics I like is that Mortar Sliding allows for both Snake to get out of the gate fast and split up. But it also lets you force an opponent into a direction you want, i.e. snake slides and jumps toward them with a Back air and misses but you have an up smash waiting.

Grab game with Snake is ridiculous, grab down throw lets them choose their poison. They roll they are going be killed via tech chase.

Example
T
________O____V_S_____

V=Victim
T=Victim's Teammate

But one moment of loneliness is enough to score a kill. RPG is devastating and the Pikmin latch while some one is being held up with Snake is amazing. Because latching a white and one other and then setting them down is enough to make most people do a get up attack and you proceed to control the match.

C4 teammates! Hey it might seem stupid but it works really well, Especially if you catch some one and give them the C4. Getting some one stuck with C4 and Olimar's Up throw around 60% is about as good as Death, or just with Olimar doing an Up air.

BTW fun combo from 0%
Oli grabs and up throws, Snake Short Hops Neutral Air, Olimar Up airs and Snake Charges up an Up smash. A seriously nasty comb I only got off once but great none the less.
Great points made here - moving this up to the first post.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just a thought- anyone ever play with a lucario? He'll get to like 200% and you throw all your pikmen on him so he'll do more damage. just saying...

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Thanks Shrinkray

The thing about Lucario that is beneficial to Olimar is that he can go off the stage and kill for me.

I know its lame and gay but the dang Fair will just finish off whoever. Honestly, the latching pikmin on him in theory can be good for his counter as a surprise if he gets high in the air he just gets a huge blitz to the ground and attacking. But in Real matches, IRM, things don't go that easily on purpose.

Witty Board Name

Smash Cadet
How's Wario/Olimar?

Me and my friend were playing it, but we had a lot of trouble with ranged attackers.

On another note though, we would have him Bike across the match while I followed behind and would try to grab someone, throw him up in the air-and have Wario jump off and play his aerial game on him for a while.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
How's Wario/Olimar?

Me and my friend were playing it, but we had a lot of trouble with ranged attackers.

On another note though, we would have him Bike across the match while I followed behind and would try to grab someone, throw him up in the air-and have Wario jump off and play his aerial game on him for a while.
Honestly I think that Wario is a nice teammate but I have no one around me that truly knows how to use him to his full potential and neither do I so I'm lacking the proper knowledge on how to use him.

So I think I'm gonna team up with one of my friends who gives me headaches with his falco, since he beats me, I personally think its gay how easy he gets to play with the jab spam but w/e.

I think the matches might go well I just have to convince him to give aerial cover fire with the double lasers and I run underneath and grab or Up smash the unfortunate being that gets hit. I think that this team can be good. Falco has really good projectiles and holds his own really well when we aren't together. Personally I think that he has a good compliment to Olimar's smashes and tilts.

I'll post more on this match if it happens tomorrow.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace

Example
T
________O____V_S_____

V=Victim
T=Victim's Teammate

BTW fun combo from 0%

Heh, I knew an Olimar/Snake combination would be good!

Witty Board Name

Smash Cadet
Honestly I think that Wario is a nice teammate but I have no one around me that truly knows how to use him to his full potential and neither do I so I'm lacking the proper knowledge on how to use him.

So I think I'm gonna team up with one of my friends who gives me headaches with his falco, since he beats me, I personally think its gay how easy he gets to play with the jab spam but w/e.

I think the matches might go well I just have to convince him to give aerial cover fire with the double lasers and I run underneath and grab or Up smash the unfortunate being that gets hit. I think that this team can be good. Falco has really good projectiles and holds his own really well when we aren't together. Personally I think that he has a good compliment to Olimar's smashes and tilts.

I'll post more on this match if it happens tomorrow.
I actually played Falco/Olimar today. We worked really well together.

He would simply spam laser them, and when they did manage to get over to us, we worked Falco's aerial game while I supported by assiting in our focus and throwing the partner away.

This was going well untill we faced a G&W/Wolf team. If Wolf wasn't blocking, G&W was absorbing the blows, so it was pretty tought to play as defensively as we were, which eventualy lost us the match thanks to Wolf's OP range.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I'm very impressed with the direction, civility, and knowledge that the olly forums has posted in this thread...keep it up - expect new doubles vids up soon!

Dotcom

Smash Lord
In doubles I go with Pit. (speaking with Friendly Fire on)

Pit has great Smashses and racks up damage so very easily.

Working with Pit in doubles is all about the role of a strong supporter. Pit gets another characters damage up very fast so you just have to play your role. In the start of the match you should tilt, jab, and latch. Your smashes won't kill ye so if your using smashes it's just to rack up, which is key.

When the match starts to reach 100 and up %'s that is when your key role comes in effect. Your Kill mmoves come off way easier than a Pit's would in a doubles match. So your job is to take those kills. The Usmash as described by Shrink,the Purp, Yell, and Red U smashes especially when sweetspotted will get that job done. Even more efficient when Pit grabs and you get time to rearrange and USmash more efficiently.

Mind you the spacing is very important.
You want to be near your Partner but not near enough to hit them with an accidental latch or Smash something that looks like

______P__V___O____T__

P = Pit
O = Olimar
V = Opponent
T = Opponent

now as you know Olimar recovery IS NOT GOOD. and with Pit everything is so much easier. Pit will rarely ever need the ledge. If you both get knocked off stage and you grab one ledge pit can easily come back to the stage, or they could glide to the other side and grab that ledge.

At mid percents if needed pit can blow Olimar upward with his UAir allowing for better recovery aand an easier to getting back on stage.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
In doubles I go with Pit. (speaking with Friendly Fire on)

Pit has great Smashses and racks up damage so very easily.

Working with Pit in doubles is all about the role of a strong supporter. Pit gets another characters damage up very fast so you just have to play your role. In the start of the match you should tilt, jab, and latch. Your smashes won't kill ye so if your using smashes it's just to rack up, which is key.

When the match starts to reach 100 and up %'s that is when your key role comes in effect. Your Kill mmoves come off way easier than a Pit's would in a doubles match. So your job is to take those kills. The Usmash as described by Shrink,the Purp, Yell, and Red U smashes especially when sweetspotted will get that job done. Even more efficient when Pit grabs and you get time to rearrange and USmash more efficiently.

Mind you the spacing is very important.
You want to be near your Partner but not near enough to hit them with an accidental latch or Smash something that looks like

______P__V___O____T__

P = Pit
O = Olimar
V = Opponent
T = Opponent

now as you know Olimar recovery IS NOT GOOD. and with Pit everything is so much easier. Pit will rarely ever need the ledge so if you both get knocked off stage
This is one setup that my teammates and I bailed on immediately - but I'm curious how effective this has been - now the main damage dealer would be pit in this matchup? That's the one setup that worries me - b/c I don't trust the close range ability to pit to control a match and I've already stated my opinion on olly being the main damage dealer...and I'm not a fan of "splitting the stage" as you described above - I think that's a technique that will be punished ruthlessly by good doubles teams...I'm curious what you opinion is on this.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
This is one setup that my teammates and I bailed on immediately - but I'm curious how effective this has been - now the main damage dealer would be pit in this matchup? That's the one setup that worries me - b/c I don't trust the close range ability to pit to control a match and I've already stated my opinion on olly being the main damage dealer...and I'm not a fan of "splitting the stage" as you described above - I think that's a technique that will be punished ruthlessly by good doubles teams...I'm curious what you opinion is on this.
yes The amin damage dealer would be Pit and you are right in saying that his ground game is not as strong as his air game. but Pit has pretty solid gorund game, solid enough that I can cme in Latch, Jab, Tilt and Smash as I please. but this pair goes really well throwing in Crunch's throws. Pit can rack damage up at a fast rate as i stated before so it's alright to assist and come in for kills as you see fit. The Splitting the stage may not work for all doubles yes, but for this pair it's really ideal. because Pit is good in the air it allows him to focus his air game on people without me getting in the way. Usally as they do their ground game which i said with pit's tilts and smashes is pretty darned good, or he takes advantage of the air.

The split stage allows me to Smash, grab , and Latch as I see fit (usually focusing on the player with the higher damage) Without getting in his way or accidentaly latching him or ending up putting him in a grab (has happened before with hilarious results... we lost).
Maybe splitting the stage with you presents a risk because of a possible 2 on 1 since either you ro Pit is in the middle but it actually works really well. Usually enemy 1 or 2 is usually too tied up with their going ons to stop and try to 2 on 1, and if they do they would have to communicate which would then be averted. but with Pit and Crunch I can grab and throw down or towrds him. The Dthrow is usually followed by a short hopped Fmash towards Pit or just a regualr grab towards them with me chasing . This way we can initiate a short 2 on 1 beofre their partner intervenes.

hope this clarifys, I really want this to be on the front page lol.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
yes The amin damage dealer would be Pit and you are right in saying that his ground game is not as strong as his air game. but Pit has pretty solid gorund game, solid enough that I can cme in Latch, Jab, Tilt and Smash as I please. but this pair goes really well throwing in Crunch's throws. Pit can rack damage up at a fast rate as i stated before so it's alright to assist and come in for kills as you see fit. The Splitting the stage may not work for all doubles yes, but for this pair it's really ideal. because Pit is good in the air it allows him to focus his air game on people without me getting in the way. Usally as they do their ground game which i said with pit's tilts and smashes is pretty darned good, or he takes advantage of the air.

The split stage allows me to Smash, grab , and Latch as I see fit (usually focusing on the player with the higher damage) Without getting in his way or accidentaly latching him or ending up putting him in a grab (has happened before with hilarious results... we lost).
Maybe splitting the stage with you presents a risk because of a possible 2 on 1 since either you ro Pit is in the middle but it actually works really well. Usually enemy 1 or 2 is usually too tied up with their going ons to stop and try to 2 on 1, and if they do they would have to communicate which would then be averted. but with Pit and Crunch I can grab and throw down or towrds him. The Dthrow is usually followed by a short hopped Fmash towards Pit or just a regualr grab towards them with me chasing . This way we can initiate a short 2 on 1 beofre their partner intervenes.

hope this clarifys, I really want this to be on the front page lol.
Hey, I still hate splitting the stage but that's my opinion and this forum is about the community's feelings - you made it to the front page :D

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Shrinkray, is it okay if I put some or all of your doubles videos in a doubles section in the new Olimar treasure trove? I would also put a link to your thread here so people who like the videos can discuss.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I fixed the error on the first page - and yes hyde - feel free to take ANY video that I've posted...they are for the community and its helpful to me when people discuss them anyway.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Tink is an interesting matchup that would work with a patient team...that being said...you would just get torn up by like a marth/mk team b/c of their ability to kill people...not my top tier of teams.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Mhm, just teamed up with a Dedede. It was the first time ever we teamed up, but I had played him a lot in 1on1's already, so I kind of knew what he was capable off. Wi-Fi.

Went surprisingly good. DDD lacks a real killing move, I think, and Olimar has plenty. He can cover you while recovering easily and can let you footstool him in emergency. When the DDD recovers, you can keep the others busy so they don't attack him while he's in the air. He can rack up damage quickly and however he is big, he did not get "in my way" once. When we ended up 2vs1, I let him do the damaging and then he tossed the Diddy Kong over to me and I gently uSmash'd it.

I'll ask him to play some more 2vs2's tomorrow, so I get to know more of this team.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Mhm, just teamed up with a Dedede. It was the first time ever we teamed up, but I had played him a lot in 1on1's already, so I kind of knew what he was capable off. Wi-Fi.

Went surprisingly good. DDD lacks a real killing move, I think, and Olimar has plenty. He can cover you while recovering easily and can let you footstool him in emergency. When the DDD recovers, you can keep the others busy so they don't attack him while he's in the air. He can rack up damage quickly and however he is big, he did not get "in my way" once. When we ended up 2vs1, I let him do the damaging and then he tossed the Diddy Kong over to me and I gently uSmash'd it.

I'll ask him to play some more 2vs2's tomorrow, so I get to know more of this team.
That's a good start with this...get some more info and I'll drop it on page 1...

However, after playing with a kirby - I wonder how two characters that both chain grab deal with each other on a serious level...I need your opinion here jarri...do you both try to chain grab less...and is there any ddd forward throw to olly forward throw...back and forth and the like...if you also get a chance...if you post some vids, I'll put them up as well.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Okay me and my friend are in the process of working out our doubles, and I came across a great little tidbit of informatio.
No matter who your partner is, Worming works wonders.when he leaves i'll post more but DTilt is super great in teams.

Puddin

Smash Lord
My personal favorite match up is Oli+Wario, and G&W+Oli. Wario because he pressures people to stay out of the air, but against Olimars ground game they could be forced into the air which could help your team split up the other team with you two back to back. G&W because I have a friend I play doubles with sometimes and I cant tell you how many times his Uair has saved Olimars space ***.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Okay back to the worm. It seems that everytime i caught osmeone in the worm my partner could easily do a Smash move on them and it led to easy kills. But I thought this was too easy as we practiced this on computers. Some other frineds of mine came over and we teamed the(mainly because we're getting ready for a tourney.) But when someone had a fresh stock he would use any of his moves with igh knockback on the character who just campe back's PARTNER. In the process of this I wormed(continous dtilt) them and they couldn't figgure out what I was doing. My partner came in(Snake)Did a Utilt over me and it was like butter smooth.

We laughed and giggled and tried it wih other characters:
Wolf Bair.
Pit Bair.
Gannon Fair. He also Dair'd and I upsmashed for a great combo.
Ice Climber Fair
Mario fair
Falco F Smash( took some readjusting because he hit me once in the process.

So deducing this I figure most characters havea move with some pretty good knock back, or with some knockback that you could cocmbo into.

Either way you look at it. Worming is a practical technique to pull off once or twice in doubles matches.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Okay back to the worm. It seems that everytime i caught osmeone in the worm my partner could easily do a Smash move on them and it led to easy kills. But I thought this was too easy as we practiced this on computers. Some other frineds of mine came over and we teamed the(mainly because we're getting ready for a tourney.) But when someone had a fresh stock he would use any of his moves with igh knockback on the character who just campe back's PARTNER. In the process of this I wormed(continous dtilt) them and they couldn't figgure out what I was doing. My partner came in(Snake)Did a Utilt over me and it was like butter smooth.

We laughed and giggled and tried it wih other characters:
Wolf Bair.
Pit Bair.
Gannon Fair. He also Dair'd and I upsmashed for a great combo.
Ice Climber Fair
Mario fair
Falco F Smash( took some readjusting because he hit me once in the process.

So deducing this I figure most characters havea move with some pretty good knock back, or with some knockback that you could cocmbo into.

Either way you look at it. Worming is a practical technique to pull off once or twice in doubles matches.
very interesting perspective...this is truly unique and I will examine it more in full this weekend when I go to my next tourney.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Welll, instead of a partner jumping off and hitting oli to help him recover, you can footstool allies remember.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Footstooling isn't very good because it takes too much time and precision to get your partner under you to footstool. In this thime if you have someone on the other time with some even semi good projectiles or just a good edgegaurd game the situation isn't really that good, because they have enough time to punish you. Also depending on your partner their recovery might not be good enough for oyu to footstool them, and for you to make it back to the stage.

By training with your partner enough you should know some technuiques that could boost your recovery. Whether it's a certain aerial move your partner hits you with boosting you high enough to get back on the stage. Or it's a projectile that gives you a little bost so you can chain on to the ledge. All of these things you should know before hand, when you go into a real match with real players who have probably figured all this out.

Top Bottom