• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Great, as always.

I dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, but those little items you guys call fireballs are Shine Sprites from Super Mario Sunshine.

Strongside

Smash Apprentice
“And now, your highness, we will discuss the locat
I am glad you guys liked my video so much, especially with the ZP reference. :)

It is nice to know that I lost to such a great guy, CyberLink, and that I was atleast runnerup.

I will keep my application open for future episodes, if you ever decide to have more with guests. I will try to offer my insight on games, Brawl, anime, music, or nerd culture in general.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Ah, a great episode, as always :)

I don't know if I want spoilers though... but I guess I couldn't wait for the game to come out here in europe anyway ^^

SamuraiPanda seems so familiar... I'm feeling the same for Knuckles. Knuckles for Brawl! :laugh:

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
LOVE that ring tone! Okay, the "Hey, listen!" one is pretty cool!

Mushroomy Kingdom a perfect stage? There's zero recovery. Unbalance much? But it's fun at least. I don't think the pipes will work in this. If you enter the pipe as it very first appears on the right, how would it work? Where would you go? Or would it take like 15 seconds to use the pipe?

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Rant

So, back in November or whenever it was, I decided to stop listening to SMYN. I had started listening with Episode 3, and listened to the archives, then faithfully listened every week. When Youko switched to the Round Table format, I thought it was a good idea, as it allowed for a more relaxed atmosphere, less work, and just more fun. But a couple weeks in, I noticed that Youko and Samurai Panda would basically say things, and the other agree. Which was okay. But I thought that maybe it wouldn't be such a good thing when something controversial came up.

Then I listened to a podcast where Samurai Panda went on and on, whining about the plight of the "professional" player, and how they are so abused by the community. All Youko did was agree. I don't care that they agreed, per se, but it does seem like a more "journalistic" approach would have been good, showing all sides of the argument. Either way, the whole thing turned me off.

It was around this week that Youko became a mod. It was also around this time that the infamous "up until now" entry on the DOJO happened. I saw Samurai Panda saying how perfectly correct his translation was. And I saw Youko closing threads with nothing more than the response, "Ness is out." I was disgusted. I decided that I didn't want to hear SMYN again, because I knew that Youko would only accept SP's "perfect" translation as fact.

So last week, Ness was (mostly) confirmed. And I thought, well, let me try SMYN again. If Youko is who I think he is, he'll be humble enough to say that he was wrong (I'd already seen Samurai Panda defending himself on the threads, basically calling Sakurai a liar, rather than consider the possibility that his translation skills are not perfect). So I started listening to Episode 30. It took a long time for them to get around to it, and they went on so many tangents, and I really got sick of Samurai Panda, who whined about how the game is not exclusively targeted to "professional" players. (For the love of god, Nintendo is a business! It needs new customers! You can't only appeal to people who will buy it either way!)

Finally, they talked about the leak. No apologies. No "I guess we were wrong." Nothing but the same defiant declarations of Samurai Panda's perfection. And they had the nerve to declare that Mewtwo was almost certainly out. My god, how low has this show sunk. Goodbye again, SMYN.

I wish Youko had chosen a different partner. He can't even remember how to unlock characters in Melee. (The one good point I heard).

WaterTails

Smash Lord
But a couple weeks in, I noticed that Youko and Samurai Panda would basically say things, and the other agree.
Maybe they did agree (or weren't paying attention and just going "yeah, uh huh, I get what you're saying)

Then I listened to a podcast where Samurai Panda went on and on, whining about the plight of the "professional" player, and how they are so abused by the community. All Youko did was agree. I don't care that they agreed, per se, but it does seem like a more "journalistic" approach would have been good, showing all sides of the argument. Either way, the whole thing turned me off.
Big deal, maybe Panda was just expressing his opinions. Maybe he DISAGREED with Sakurai's decision to make Brawl more casual-oriented.

And I saw Youko closing threads with nothing more than the response, "Ness is out." I was disgusted. I decided that I didn't want to hear SMYN again, because I knew that Youko would only accept SP's "perfect" translation as fact.
A. Did you want the Brawl rooms filled with "OMG, Ness Deconfirmed" threads? Youko was just cleaning up.

B. If you didn't know, SP is essentially the official SWF translator. He's had accurate translations before, and Youko knew that.

So I started listening to Episode 30. It took a long time for them to get around to it, and they went on so many tangents,
Big deal, if you had been listening to past SMYNs, you would notice that they typically admit when they go on tangents.

and I really got sick of Samurai Panda, who whined about how the game is not exclusively targeted to "professional" players. (For the love of god, Nintendo is a business! It needs new customers! You can't only appeal to people who will buy it either way!)
I somewhat agree with this paragraph, but the thing is, they could at least try to appeal to us. In Iwata asks, didn't he say he was trying to make it less complex? What about taking out WD and L-canceling(in the form we know it)? What about slowing down the pace of the game? I think those are trying to make SSBB more newbie-friendly

Finally, they talked about the leak. No apologies. No "I guess we were wrong." Nothing but the same defiant declarations of Samurai Panda's perfection. And they had the nerve to declare that Mewtwo was almost certainly out. My god, how low has this show sunk. Goodbye again, SMYN.
Maybe M2 is out, how many Pokemon reps do we have? Pika, Jigs, PT (which has 3), Lucario, etc. Do we really need another (who was bottom tire in Melee)?

Why should they apologise? The VAST majority of the community thought Ness was out. Want to make them say that they're sorry they thought wrong?

And finally, good bye, SMYN doesn't need any ranters.

I wish Youko had chosen a different partner. He can't even remember how to unlock characters in Melee. (The one good point I heard).
Oh, wow. Real mature, makng a personal attack. Big deal! They go to the same school, meaning they can get in touch easier. They also "click", do you know how much worse SMYN could be if it was someone who there is no way to get in touch with them and every episode is just forced small talk?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I usually wouldn't respond to stuff like this, but I feel bored right now so I might as well.

But a couple weeks in, I noticed that Youko and Samurai Panda would basically say things, and the other agree. Which was okay.
Yeah, some people have expressed their desire that we should disagree more often, but we're not going to disagree just for the sake of arguing. If we truly feel different about something, then we'll debate it back and forth, but Youko and I are alot alike in our opinions. Although we do disagree here and there. Plus, SMYN features alot of guests for the sake of getting more opinions and viewpoints on things.

You're right, we're not allowed our own opinions.

It was around this week that Youko became a mod. It was also around this time that the infamous "up until now" entry on the DOJO happened. I saw Samurai Panda saying how perfectly correct his translation was. And I saw Youko closing threads with nothing more than the response, "Ness is out." I was disgusted. I decided that I didn't want to hear SMYN again, because I knew that Youko would only accept SP's "perfect" translation as fact.
Frankly, this misconception of yours is the only reason I'm responding to this. Do you honestly think I mistranslated "up until now"? Really? Because here is a newsflash: The translation is "until now" (doesn't include the 'up', but that doesn't matter anyways). Period. There is no other translation for it that doesn't carry the same meaning. Think I'm wrong? Ask anybody else with a basic grasp of the Japanese language what "Ima Made" means, and you'll get the exact same response.

You can express your dislike for my opinions, my personality, or whatever you want, thats your opinion. But don't spread any lies that I mistranslated something, because that is completely false.

(I'd already seen Samurai Panda defending himself on the threads, basically calling Sakurai a liar, rather than consider the possibility that his translation skills are not perfect).
a) Huh? b) Again, the translation stands as accurate.

I really got sick of Samurai Panda, who whined about how the game is not exclusively targeted to "professional" players. (For the love of god, Nintendo is a business! It needs new customers! You can't only appeal to people who will buy it either way!)
Really? I was trying to convey my exasperation that they ONLY talk about casuals and never talk about the more hardcore of the fanbase. I've never complained the game was not exclusively targeted to "pro" players at all. I just said that I wished they would throw the "pro" players a bone to chew on every now and then. I guess I might not have made that clear enough.

And they had the nerve to declare that Mewtwo was almost certainly out. My god, how low has this show sunk. Goodbye again, SMYN.
In fact, I was very careful in choosing my words. I specifically said something like, "Am I right in assuming that Show Me Your News doesn't think Mewtwo is returning?" I avoided saying any absolutes or sweeping generalizations. Just our opinions.

<3 At least I'll always remember you as my first hater.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
I usually wouldn't respond to stuff like this, but I feel bored right now so I might as well.

Yeah, some people have expressed their desire that we should disagree more often, but we're not going to disagree just for the sake of arguing. If we truly feel different about something, then we'll debate it back and forth, but Youko and I are alot alike in our opinions. Although we do disagree here and there. Plus, SMYN features alot of guests for the sake of getting more opinions and viewpoints on things.

Frankly, this misconception of yours is the only reason I'm responding to this. Do you honestly think I mistranslated "up until now"? Really? Because here is a newsflash: The translation is "until now" (doesn't include the 'up', but that doesn't matter anyways). Period. There is no other translation for it that doesn't carry the same meaning. Think I'm wrong? Ask anybody else with a basic grasp of the Japanese language what "Ima Made" means, and you'll get the exact same response.

You can express your dislike for my opinions, my personality, or whatever you want, thats your opinion. But don't spread any lies that I mistranslated something, because that is completely false.

a) Huh? b) Again, the translation stands as accurate.

Really? I was trying to convey my exasperation that they ONLY talk about casuals and never talk about the more hardcore of the fanbase. I've never complained the game was not exclusively targeted to "pro" players at all. I just said that I wished they would throw the "pro" players a bone to chew on every now and then. I guess I might not have made that clear enough.

In fact, I was very careful in choosing my words. I specifically said something like, "Am I right in assuming that Show Me Your News doesn't think Mewtwo is returning?" I avoided saying any absolutes or sweeping generalizations. Just our opinions.

What SP is trying to say is that Great minds think alike (at at least he can translate!)

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
First, may I just say THANK YOU SO MUCH for saying you wont spoil the Subspace Emissary plot! Honestly that really is the only thing that I don't want spoiled for me in Brawl.

Secondly, I remember you mentioning the "leaker" who posted three videos and you questioned why people wanted to debunk it. I'm not sure about the vast majority, but I just hate the fact that the videos are toying with us in the fact that he has the game but isn't showing anything that we don't already know, even though in a few days it won't matter. And also, don't you find it just a liiittle bit strange that in the first video, when he selects Pit, a voice clip from one of the Japanese adverts is heard, rather than the announcer saying Pit's name (as we've seen in the demo?) *hinthint*

mario-man

Smash Lord
Wow that was an amazing Panda hate speech. I <3 Panda and Youko and practically everyone they have on the show. The show's just cool like that... aww yeah

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Hehehe.

You're funny.

No, really, it's amusing how you pick out the littlest things just to express your distaste in them. But that is your choice, there's no denying that.
True enough. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good stuff from SMYN, but I guess I am a nitpicker at heart. Sorry.

And it is that dismissiveness that I found distasteful.

DQP

Smash Ace
i don't know why, but somehow the sound quality isn't as good as it was. but maybe it was just me. anybody else got poor (kinda) sound quality?

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Okay.

Never said that. I found it tedious, and less than "journalistic." I know, it's not really a "news" program, but I kind of thought it should be. Not that I dislike opinions, but to hear someone going on about some conceived attack with no counter is not very interesting.

Maybe you are completely correct, and there is absolutely no possibility that you are wrong. I don't know Japanese at all. I 'm sorry that I implied that you were a liar. I don't know your credentials, and I might be totally off-base by doubting you.

If you say that you translated perfectly, that there is no ambiguity, then one must look to the source. Why would Sakurai say he wasn't in it if he was? He would be lying. But you are right, I inferred something which you probably weren't implying. I apologize again.

Hm. I guess I should listen to it again. I could easily have been searching for fault. You do make a point and I think I can understand where you're coming from.

Again, maybe I should have listened more closely. It just seems to me that after the Ness debacle, one shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I don't hate you at all. That was uncalled for on my part, and I'm sorry (again).

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
i don't know why, but somehow the sound quality isn't as good as it was. but maybe it was just me. anybody else got poor (kinda) sound quality?
I got used to the 32 quality after the music stopped.

And great podcast as always!

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Playing Devil's advocate, you guys DO come off as pretty **** arrogant every now and then.

Also "Up until now", at least in English, does not imply a change in the future. Just saying.

Example:

"Sir, we heard the store will not be selling cakes anymore come march!"

"Up until now, this store has sold cake, and we will continue to do so in the forseable future."

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
To clarify a few points on the blog. The big upsurge in the 35 character roster was because of the 35 mock up matching with the leaked starting roster list. I don't know if you guys checked it out fully or not. It was so "right."
NeoGAF renamed their major Brawl thread as "Denial Stage" because everyone was accepting it. It wasn't just because it's Chronobound's list. This was "proof" as some would say.
A bunch of people on GameFAQs agreed it to be true. The forums filled up saying "No one can guess that and be that lucky. It's our roster list. :("
The desire to prove the picture and the video as false would prove the 35 roster theory false which is why everyone was adamant on finding something wrong with it.

Well, that's that. I'm not asking for a apology or correction like that. I don't care, but you guys were a bit uninformed during your podcast so I thought I'd clear up a few points.

Keep up the good work guys.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
SamuraiPanda - how is ROB not a WTF character? Assuming this roster is true, I don't think anyone saw him coming, even though people were digging up every obscure character they could possibly think of. The mere fact that people are saying "ROB? No way would Sakurai do that!" proves he's a huge WTF, perhaps even more than Game and Watch. Speaking of which, I find it odd you would say that Toon Link would look too out of place when we had Game and Watch in Melee.

Now, it is a valid point that he doesn't have much moveset potential, though I think we should give Sakurai the benefit of the doubt until we see how he works. But I really don't think you can say this 35-character roster lacks a crazy out-there character.

BTW, if this roster is true, I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. We have about as many newcomers as Melee (since Pichu and a couple of others are definitely getting cut), but with few or no clones, while half of Melee's secret characters were clones (only three were newcomers with new movesets, actually). It's also quite possible that we'll have old characters like Ganon decloned, which is almost as good as gettinga new character. I would have liked to have Ridley, but I would still be basically happy with this roster. Especially if Zero Suit Samus is selectable from the start, that's basically 36 right there (and we have Sheik and the PT).

Finally, I do agree that it's annoying how Youko and SamuraiPanda completely agree on almost everything, even on controversial issues. I'm sure you two just think alike, but still - there's not much as real discussion as there could be when both of the hosts always agree "this sucks" or "this is great". For example, when SamuraiPanda said that he was really upset that some bad special moves were still in - I was very surprised that no one pointed out that for all we know, some of those specials are being improved (Din's Fire looks a lot faster from the 5-minute for example). Maybe you should add a third permanent host who thinks a little differently, I don't know.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Btw, Sakurai has confirmed R.O.B. will fire rockets and lasers. That's good for a B attacks if he chooses to make him playable. he also has rockets propulsion to fly.

the no moveset argument was repeated by many with G&W

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
SamuraiPanda - how is ROB not a WTF character? Assuming this roster is true, I don't think anyone saw him coming, even though people were digging up every obscure character they could possibly think of. The mere fact that people are saying "ROB? No way would Sakurai do that!" proves he's a huge WTF, perhaps even more than Game and Watch. Speaking of which, I find it odd you would say that Toon Link would look too out of place when we had Game and Watch in Melee.

Now, it is a valid point that he doesn't have much moveset potential, though I think we should give Sakurai the benefit of the doubt until we see how he works. But I really don't think you can say this 35-character roster lacks a crazy out-there character.

BTW, if this roster is true, I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. We have about as many newcomers as Melee (since Pichu and a couple of others are definitely getting cut), but with few or no clones, while half of Melee's secret characters were clones (only three were newcomers with new movesets, actually). It's also quite possible that we'll have old characters like Ganon decloned, which is almost as good as gettinga new character. I would have liked to have Ridley, but I would still be basically happy with this roster. Especially if Zero Suit Samus is selectable from the start, that's basically 36 right there (and we have Sheik and the PT).
to me its not who is in the roster it is just if you are going to make rob playable why make him a subspace enemy? seems pointless to me.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
hey guys! thnx for quoting me! anyway, i think that i should let everyone know that i'm trying to find a host that supports radios, and i wanted to know if SWF or brawl central does.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
The more I listen to you guys, the more I realize...GO OUT AND FLIPPIN' PLAY THE NINTENDO GAMES REPRESENTED IN BRAWL!

You haven't played Pikmin. You haven't played Kirby. And the others...Come on! Go...play...them. Be able to appreciate the games. Because...wow, it's laughable how puny your Nintendo repertoire is...

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
What I think of SMYN and something I want the hosts to know :)

I don't really post on this forum, but recently ive been reading seriously a lot (for obvious reasons), and I came across 'Show me your news' like a month or 2 ago, though I listened to it on a website? I loved it but came back and the site never updated, I actually beleived u STOPPED making it because it took to much effort.

Well anyways I realised you didnt stop when i began reading this forum religiously. So ive listened to a few of the recent podcasts and I WOULD go through and listen the ones I missed, but Id have to loose like 2 Days? lol and a lot of the stuff in them we already know about. I do feel TERRIBLY gutted to have missed out because I love the podcasts so much, as im about to explain.

So yeah I love the podcast, 100% entertaining for me and has actually made me LOL litterly a lot, more so than a lot of the crap on British TV these days. The thing I like is that it allows us to get to know you guys, I love how you all enjoy Video games so MUCH, it reminds me of when I was like 10-15yrs old when I used to buy every game and beat it. Now im concentrating so hard on studies (I barely play video games but do still read up on them) listening to you guys makes me realise what im missing in the video game world! HOWEVER I feel right at home with your Super Smash Bros talk.

SMYN to me feels like, EXACTLY what I want, and what gamers need. Its VERY proffessional just like radio or tv, EXCEPT its spoken at our level, but with knowledge and understanding of our needs far greater than anything official like the Dojo, IGN or w.e - and im sure thats why you actually wanted to make this. The way you talk and present your podcasts is exactly how the radio should be (IMO), especially if there was a radio show for GAMERS. Recently ive just been laying on my bed just doing nothing but listening to the 2 new podcasts, was not bored for a second, made me laugh, and well i feel like you deserve something, because its better than anything we're paying for on TV.

Anyway to the future of SMYN. Im sure you can imagine how **** us europeans feels, Japan are playing the game in like 2 days? While I have to wait maybe 4 Months? Well anyway I would love it if you did podcasts maybe after the USA release? (I dont mean this aimed towards europeans) because i would love to get your insight of actually playing the game and unlocking stuff. I would love this because you guys seem to notice things that pass me (and probably a lot of other people) and thats what I love about SMYN, so would be cool to get your takes on the game, and possibly TIPS, HINTS and more? - I doubt ull want to carry on working on this later but if you were up for it, I would be so happy.

(NON SMYN related here. One of you guys said you got Angels and Airwaves I-Empire? Im curious on your opinion because they're my favourite band. I run a FANSITE for them which is one of the most popular on the internet, so like you guys I spend a serious amount of time and effort working content and the forums, our site is www.AvaEmpire.com would be cool if took a peek!)

Anyways SORRY this is so long, basically im saying thanks, from now on im listening to everything from SMYN. I wish I had some mates like you guys IRL because I think your great. Thanks a lot!

- Matty

Kowz

Smash Journeyman
In the video on the DOJO!!! sonic uses a taunt where he's running in place and he says, " You're too slow!".... I hate this!!!

Top Bottom