• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show me something NEW - How to become one of the greats

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
When I think of the best players I know, they all are ORIGINAL.

they dont do all the other things that other players with the same character do, they all have their own style. The show me something new part of this thread is the most important IMO.

M@v

Subarashii!
Good Article gimpy. Very good advice to many. Be sure to read this carefully. Dont misinterpret it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
gimpy ur wrong ;D the real way to win is to copy m2k/forte/omni/azen/plank metaknight style, except with more tornados please

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
gimpy ur wrong ;D the real way to win is to copy m2k/forte/omni/azen/plank metaknight style, except with more tornados please
Can you win by combining the styles of two great players like Azen and M2K? I'm not talking about their MK style, but simply watching how a few great players play, and replecating the most effective aspect of their styles into a powerful, hybrid style?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm, it does work to take gameplay from superior players. for example when i play sheik in melee and i always watch captain jack or kdj videos for some tippers on how to handle certain situations.

however the bottom line is that one can never surpass the originals that way. cuz that's what they are, originals. they created their own strategies off what they knew.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
hm, it does work to take gameplay from superior players. for example when i play sheik in melee and i always watch captain jack or kdj videos for some tippers on how to handle certain situations.

however the bottom line is that one can never surpass the originals that way. cuz that's what they are, originals. they created their own strategies off what they knew.
Which is why you cannot use the style of only one origonal. To get anywhere worth getting, you need to figure out the best aspects of multiple playstyles to overcome the fact that you cannot overcome the origonal. Hence a "hybrid" style. This is only hypothetical though; I am not good enough at the game to know how it works in practice, nor do I know much beyond playstyles than "M2K is good because of his deep knowledge of all the possibilities" and "Azen bases his talent primarily on his ability to anticipate his opponent."

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i need to separate myself from other players. crizthakidd aka seph, but how does one separate themselves as a MK main lol. or GnW. they all do the same.

another big part is improving your game and attending tournaments. you can talk all you want but you gota prove it to someone at a venue with 25+ pple

Legan

Smash Lord
This is exactly what Ive been telling my crew about brawl. All they want to do is continue and play melee and perfect on other peoples techniques and styles. They refuse to play brawl, and they think it's just a waste of time and it's bad. Now, Im one of the most watched/imitated brawl link players in the country. Im doing things that no ones ever seen before. There is nothing wrong with being a follower, but I am having alot more fun being a leader.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Gimpy, I'm not so much interested in the idea of becoming well known, but I have been struggling to find ways to get a few of my videos exposed that I believe are very much worth watching.

The first one here is tongue-in-cheek. The tech is not in anyway viable, but I was more interested in the ides of the video as a product than the viability of the tech. My friend and I came up with it one night while doing a Green Set, so to speak. :lick: Anyway, lace up yr lollerskates and enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWviVCni8Ho&feature=channel_page

The second and third videos are advanced techniques. The first of them I believe is specific only to Ganon due to the ratio of his weight to his jump height. That is, perhaps you can utilize the tech with other characters, but I don't think you can chain them the way I do in the vid. The second one is probably slightly more universally applicable, but I'm not sure. Here they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYKqxTSnI0&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5P8jyCvT4A&feature=channel_page

P.S.- I know it's old news by now, but your shiek vid is insane. The footstool kills are the most demoralizing thing. LOL. Inspiring.

darkpheonix

Smash Rookie
thx man. i really want to be known as a TL and luigi master, and this is helpin. thx again, darkpheonix

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
This pretty much sums up why I'm getting nowhere with brawl. I'm pretty much the only Luigi in Washington, and I don't get to practice with the good people from the state that often. So when I do get to play against them there is little room to experiment and try new things because it is so much easier (and more effective until you practice more) to just play it safe and do Dair Nair over and over. *sigh*

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Good guide. Need to practice variety.

If i go to February's gameclucks, will you play friendlies with me if i ask?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I applied this information from this thread and came up with something useful. Just click on my sig, to find out.

I discovered Sonic's spindash cancel. Shielded and jump versions. And Toon Link's Invinci-bombing technique.

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
There's probably a strategy out there that will allow you to beat just about anybody. Hopefully one day somebody will find it.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
The only way to be one of the greats is to ink drop a lot.

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
Gimpyfish, your incredible. I swear, as soon as I read over the creativity section of your post, I examined all of my characters underused moves and found a practical use for them. Of course, it's all just theory at the moment, but the OP struck me with inspiration to progress my characters metagame even further, beyond that of just running up and shield grabbing everything. :laugh:

Sliq

Smash Master
I think it is worth noting that a lot of the time I come up with a bunch of crazy ideas, and then never test them out because I have no time, and I don't tell anyone about them because of a combination of laziness and the fact that some of my ideas sound ****ing ********.

Anyways, this sort of inspired me to play brawl, even though I don't have any time. The only reason I'm really excited is because you reminded me to try my ******** ideas, because they might be pro as ****.

Browny

Smash Hater
I now lol @ this thread, considering other sbr members have now stated that if we ever want to be good at this game, we should only use god/top tier characters.

because thats original

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Great article Gimpy. I'd really like to highlight a specific section of the article that everyone needs to pay attention to:

Gimpyfish62 said:
Efficiency should be the name of the game here - but many focus their attention in other areas for flashiness or added flair. There is no problem with added flair from time to time as long as efficiency is never sacrificed.

In order to assure yourself efficiency and precision you must learn what each character can do and how fast they can do it - learn where each character can be punished and where they can't.
The caveat to help people distinguish between playing creative (i.e. unique) and playing stupid is something everyone really needs to take to heart.

GameyHarp

Smash Rookie
I have read up on all of Snakes techs and have most of them down pat. I do watch videos of people playing snakes in tournaments and I pick up on things they do and apply them where I see fit. What I really love though is when I'm in class not listening to a lecture and think of a way to use what I already know in a new way. I love thinking of something on my own and seeing it get applied in game just how I imagined it (although it doesn't always turn out that way). I can't wait to get to my first tourney spring break and come away with that much more knowledge to put into my game.

AndreVeloso

Smash Apprentice
Im really good at adapting to my opponents game but it takes me a hell of a long time to do it. I usually win if time is on my side. I just can't deal with campers.

Top Bottom