• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show me something NEW - How to become one of the greats

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Obviously many of you players want to be seen as a cut above the rest - you want to be the best - or perhaps the best with your character - or perhaps the flashiest - or perhaps the most unique - or perhaps the most aggressive... Whatever your goal is in gaming there is always one consistency for players - to have your name known.

But how do you do that? How do you separate yourself from all of the other people who play the same character as you? How do you ensure that your name is the one synonymous with the character and that you are respected and recognized as a good player?

Well here is where I tell you how that's done and help you step your game up beyond the fundamentals and transform yourself into something more. So let's break this down into a few of the base aspects of any players game. These are organized (in my mind) in order of difficulty to add to your game.

Technical Skill

Technical ability covers spacing, timing, and speed. Obviously every player who is anybody has got this covered. Precision is key - this is the aspect of your skill that will come easiest. Your game play should NEVER focus on technical ability - almost nobody is impressed by technical ABILITY (especially in brawl) but something people CAN be impressed by is technical APPLICATION. Efficiency should be the name of the game here - but many focus their attention in other areas for flashiness or added flair. There is no problem with added flair from time to time as long as efficiency is never sacrificed.

In order to assure yourself efficiency and precision you must learn what each character can do and how fast they can do it - learn where each character can be punished and where they can't. These are your smash basics. Basically take smash 101 all the way through the 700 classes (college people - you get me - other people... just learn the game all the way through)

Variety

This is often mislabeled as "mindgames" by some of our less skilled/experienced players. Variety means what it says. You can have an overall great game plan but if you are overly repetitive you will be punished for it by good players. I often say "anything that can be predicted can be punished" and it's important to keep that in mind.

This is essentially where you start to go from a solid base player to becoming one of the greats. Having a good variety in your approach, your reaction to your opponents attacks, your reactions to players in the air or off the edge, your actions when you or your opponent respawn with invincibility or in any other area of game is CRITICAL to high level play. Variety is where we separate the men from the boys as it were - players who have little variety can still perform well - but it's a huge hindrance.

Adaptability

This is an amazingly important aspect of competitive gaming and it goes hand in hand with variety. The ability to adapt is one of the most difficult things to learn because the only way to get it is through experience. Basically you should have a game plan that doesn't just pertain to one play style.

This is where we start to get intricate. Players reading other players, seeing through their variety and approaches, and adapting to what the opponent can really do. This is not a response to a CHARACTER - this is a response to a PLAYER.

This is also an area where you really see the players who perform well - this is where you become a serious force in the tournaments. If you are good at quickly adapting to your opponents play style and answering with something effective on your end - and re-adapting based on how they adapt and so on and so on - you're going to be doing some serious damage to your opponents.

Originality/Creativity

By this I do not mean your personal "tricks" - which are also mislabeled "mindgames". This to me is the real game breaker. This is what will make me remember playing you and this is what will seperate you from the rest more than any other aspect. This is something that you should be working on from the time you start playing as a character all the way through to when you think there is nothing else to learn. There is always some variation of something you haven't tried.

This is one of the hardest things to teach a newer player. A lot of you reading this simply watch matches and add what you like into your own game or ask other players for help - and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with doing this. HOWEVER you should all also notice that the players who are on top are RARELY the ones going out and asking others what to do in what situation or how to best punish certain things. It isn't because they have some magical power and they don't require any outside source - it's because they are the players who will think about the situations on their own and come up with their own solutions. They will see what others have done and adapt it to their own play style or alter it to their preferences or liking. Players who do this are often (not always) players who discover new techniques - or new ways to use old ones.

ALWAYS be on the look out for something new - but please don't misinterpret what I'm saying here. Do not limit yourself for the sake of creativity - but even if what you are trying isn't seemingly the most effective you should still try it out and find out for yourself. Experiment in your friendlies - that's what they are for after all. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Conclusion

So in conclusion we've got our standard technical application as a base for you as a player. Ensure that you as a player have full control over your character - this is something that can be practiced alone. Once you've gained full control you should work on adding in variety. Don't always react the same way to certain situations - work on mixing it up. This is difficult to practice - but almost impossible alone. You'll start entering the realm of "experienced players" at this point. Once you've got your techs and you learn how to add the variety you begin to enter the next level. Here you aren't playing against character or circumstance, you are playing against another specific player. This is where you start to really adapt to what is going on in the mind of both players. After you've inserted some amount of variety and begin to play the player not the character you've become at very least a good player - and some very good players stop here and are content. You're name should be out there by this point - recognized as a very good player. In order to truly separate yourself from the rest of the sea of names you have to be unique. You shouldn't play exactly like the other people playing your character - but you obviously shouldn't go so far as to limit yourself in order to make that distinction. Be creative, don't be afraid to break the mold. Basically...

Show me something NEW.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
tasty...
its gimpy.

but to tell you the truth... its not a very original writing, sounds like any old advise thread would...
still worth the read though.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
People remember getting banana locked by me.

: /

I even made one person (*cough*rune*cough) start a thread asking with how to deal with Banana tech.

Want to be unique?
Play Diddy Kong.

Thanks for the read Gimpy : 3
I enjoyed it.

And to everyone that says otherwise, this is the kind of thing that needs to be re-iterated over and over.

I still say Mookie's 'Playing to learn' is a must read though.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed. ~Dr. Samuel Johnson

i prefer a simple read and simple information for something of this nature ;P

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Good Stuff as usually Gimpy... so what's your Brawl status? It seems like you disappeared for a while...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
all i can say is thank you,
sometimes i lose track of what i really need to be focusing on
thats why people need to be reminded of the simple things that are important, in brawl and in life

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
Sweet Gimpy. Good to see you still involved in the smash community. Great read too. I'd like to think I've thought of most of that, but it is a good thing to refocus my attention and do the right things to get better.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Gimpys red font ftw.
Very good read. =P

D

Deleted member

eh, it was interesting enough

now gimpy you should be the one to enforce this and start playing brawl again lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
SHDL!!!!!!

Laser Laser Laser!

waks

Smash Journeyman
Ill show you something new.

Firebird into Dair spike! :D

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Yea, thanks for the time spent.
This hit close to home actually, the whole making your name out thing.
Its been something I've been working on, and accomplishing.
So again, thanks on the "insider scoop".
-t2

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
Come back to brawl Gimpy. Help rep some of the lower placing characters(Bowser :D)

Good read, good to see your still around, this can definitely help some newer players looking to start playing competitively.

Candide

Smash Apprentice
This isn't especially new, but a technique I often use is to evade, jab once, dodge, and repeat. Just evasion annoys everyone, but the jab-dodge, which makes your opponent focus not on their own damage but on their inability to hit you, inevitably infuriates them into a clumsy approach and an easy setup.
All of this is good stuff and was especially apparent in your boozer cute combo videos on youtube. Are you going to make a new one for Brawl?

Genos

Smash Apprentice
You're a cool guy Gimpy. You seem to like helping out the newer players a lot when you have little reason to do so. :D

Tenki

Smash Hero
hooray, now i have justification for an ego trip.

but really, it boils down to efficiency, doesn't it?

ADHD

Smash Hero
People remember getting banana locked by me.

: /

I even made one person (*cough*rune*cough) start a thread asking with how to deal with Banana tech.

Want to be unique?
Play Diddy Kong.

Thanks for the read Gimpy : 3
I enjoyed it.

And to everyone that says otherwise, this is the kind of thing that needs to be re-iterated over and over.

I still say Mookie's 'Playing to learn' is a must read though.
Diddy--most unique and most room to be original. Diddy for top tier

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I'm confused.

Not to knock you Gimpy, but why the thread if you don't, well, "play" the game?
Was this a conclusion by x amount of people you may talking to here or IRL?

Also, I feel like because it's you posting it people will lose sight of what you really mean or intend to say. I think you understand what I'm talking about.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I love you so much, Gimpyfish.

Brb reading this thread.

1st.
lol

As for the post gimpy, very nice...and a very good read. A lot of people do rely heavily on other people's advice, which isn't a bad thing at all, but at the same time they shouldn't constrain their play style to just what other players are doing.

*applauds*

Fletch

Smash Master
Good **** as always... as for this being in the Brawl forums, it still applies to Melee as well, if not moreso as the game actually requires tech skill whereas there is basically no need to learn it in Brawl. But go post this in the Melee forums anyways...

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I really appreciate this thread. Some parts of it really stood out to me. Particularly the creativity parts.

I played Melee and considered myself decently good, but I came into it late and mostly copied other players style. I'm getting a completely different experience from Brawl having picked it up on day one. I'm really noticing how personal experience and experimentation are much more effective than simply learning from others examples.

Good stuff.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Gj man. Seriously. It's simple stuff yeah but it's also the very basics and some ppl seem to forget, how important that staff actually is. That's not just for "beginners". Even a pro plays by these rules and mustn't forget them

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It does clean up some words that are usually running by me, but it feels like the same message that's been already said. However, I guess I should still take it to account that it's useful. Thanks for the little pep talk there Gimpy.

Top Bottom