• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I wait for SM4SH Wii U version or get 3ds version?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I can't make a decision ;(
I'm not really a patient person and I have to save up money, I get $40 a week (obviously, I'm a student)
I do not have neither the Wii U nor 3ds
The one thing I'm worried about the 3ds version is the controls
Please help me make a decision

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
While I may not be able to speak from experience for the WiiU, I can tell you that the 3DS has a very strong library of games, even outside of Smash Bros. So, if you got it there, you could start playing in October and know that you'll have access to tons of other great titles.

On the other hand, with the new 3DS coming out, you might just want to end up waiting for that instead and get the WiiU now to tie you over until that happens.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
3DS option is cheaper and it's going to be just as good as the WiiU version. Many have said the controls work perfectly well. Boom, done.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well at $40 a week AND being a student, it'll probably be a while for you to save up for either one anyways. I would say go all the way and save up for the Wii U bundle that is no doubt happening.

And as wingedarcher said, if you're worried about controls, it'd be in your best interest to wait for the NEW 3DS to get that extra thumbstick and shoulder buttons.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
You can already an XL within a week.Or you can wait next year until they annouce the new 3ds.
So I advise you should buy the 3ds first, get some friend codes and buy Smash Bros 3DS.
If Smash Bros Wii U comes out in December just save money at least two months and buy the Wii U and the game.
The controls are easy, don't worry.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Well at $40 a week AND being a student, it'll probably be a while for you to save up for either one anyways. I would say go all the way and save up for the Wii U bundle that is no doubt happening.

And as wingedarcher said, if you're worried about controls, it'd be in your best interest to wait for the NEW 3DS to get that extra thumbstick and shoulder buttons.
I have like $200 or something

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Isn't it possible just to buy a Circle Pad Pro for the current 3DS and get the same effect of the second circle pad for Smash Bros?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
While I may not be able to speak from experience for the WiiU, I can tell you that the 3DS has a very strong library of games, even outside of Smash Bros. So, if you got it there, you could start playing in October and know that you'll have access to tons of other great titles.

On the other hand, with the new 3DS coming out, you might just want to end up waiting for that instead and get the WiiU now to tie you over until that happens.
True, loads pf great Wii U games will come in 2015

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I have like $200 or something
Well then that's up to you. You can either get a 3DS and Smash in October, or you can continue saving up for that Wii U and the Gamecube adapter as well.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
True, loads pf great Wii U games will come in 2015
Plus, I'm sure some people would tell you the WiiU already has a good library. If anything, I'd say look at the games for both systems. If you think the WiiU has enough to keep you going, get it now. If not, you might want a 3DS.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Well then that's up to you. You can either get a 3DS and Smash in October, or you can continue saving up for that Wii U and the Gamecube adapter as well.
I came here to get opinion from you guys cuz I can't make a decision myself:4pacman:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I came here to get opinion from you guys cuz I can't make a decision myself:4pacman:
I see. Well looking forwards into the Wii U library, there's tons of great games on it's way and Smash is the best way to start. Plus you got Mario Kart 8 and it's fantastic DLC coming up. I wouldn't want to miss that.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I have a WiiU and yeah it's library is decent but 3DS has an incredible library at this point. Just something to consider.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
They're releasing a new 3ds probably early 2015. Wii U has the definitive version of smash. Still.. waiting 2 months is a long time when waiting for Smash, the entire board can vouch for that. Go with the 3ds, sell it for like 30% less later if you really want to!

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
They're releasing a new 3ds probably early 2015. *Wii U has the definitive version of smash.* Still.. waiting 2 months is a long time when waiting for Smash, the entire board can vouch for that. Go with the 3ds, sell it for like 30% less later if you really want to!
Get outta here.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Going by the amount of money you say you have and the amount you get a week, you'll probably have enough to buy both versions by the time the 3DS version releases outside of Japan.

I only say probably because there are occurrences that may require you to use money earlier.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
While I personally don't have a Wii U I'd say it's the better of the two to get ATM. If you are going to get a 3DS wait for the NEW 3DS to come out.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Get both. Though the Wii u version is better in most cases the 3ds version can hold its own. I'm also getting both

D

Deleted member

I can't make a decision ;(
I'm not really a patient person and I have to save up money, I get $40 a week (obviously, I'm a student)
I do not have neither the Wii U nor 3ds
The one thing I'm worried about the 3ds version is the controls
Please help me make a decision
To be honest, my suggestion would be to buy a 2DS since I rarely use the 3D effect (I do every once in a while, but you probably won't miss it, seeing as it appears to mess up the screen if you move an inch.) Its also cheaper, and I'd suggest buying another 3DS game if you want one during the Super Smashing Sale. Plus you get the game sooner. And I'm saying this as a Wii U and a 3DS owner.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
No clue on your region, but in a few regions Nintendo sells refirbished 3DSes for $95 (regular) to $135 (XL).
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat20003
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat160011

I would say just get a 3DS, as we don't even have a date for the WiiU version lol.
CCP seems like it won't work with the game though sadly. Heck, I wouldn't worry about the controls
since everyone is going to deal with the same thing (America doesn't get the new 3DS until next year).

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
I was actually in the same position as you, but I chose the 3ds for 2 reasons:
1. No way im waiting an extra 1-2 months for the game
2. IMO Portable smash>HD smash

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
3DS VERSION
>CHEAPER
>AS GOOD AS WII U VERSION
>PORTABLE
>COMES OUT FIRST
>PLUS THE 3DS HAS A AWESOME LIBRARY OF GAMES BESIDES SMASH

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I was actually in the same position as you, but I chose the 3ds for 2 reasons:
1. No way im waiting an extra 1-2 months for the game
2. IMO Portable smash>HD smash
It may sound weird, but when I play 3DS games on a small screen, they look HD, despite actually being 240p.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The 3DS version have Smash Run, therefore it is better. Skipping it would be foolish imo. Plus, portable Smash is amazing.

SuperEpicClay

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperEpicClay
3DS FC
0044-2846-6176
I currently own a Wii U, I'd really appreciate another game to play on it. But I'm still buying the 3DS version regardless.

Basically, if you already have a Wii U, buy Smash for Wii U, if you want the cheaper option, go with 3DS. But that's just me.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Wii U has the definitive version of smash.
The two versions are the same thing

The only difference is that the Wii U version has more music which I wouldn't use even if I got the Wii U version, the stages, Smash Run and that's it (for now, I suppose)

Unless you're some C-stick fanatic that can't miss 40 bucks, you're just better off buying the 3DS version :smash:

SuperEpicClay

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperEpicClay
3DS FC
0044-2846-6176
The 3DS version have Smash Run, therefore it is better. Skipping it would be foolish imo. Plus, portable Smash is amazing.
Simply because one version has a mode that the other lacks doesn't mean it's better. However, I'm still hoping for a new gamemode for the Wii U version. Plus the Wii U version has more music, better graphics, built in C-Stick and Amiibo. No new model or add-on to buy.

Last edited:

joelsdaman1

Smash Cadet
NNID
joelsdaman1
3DS FC
4785-6676-7225
I was in the same situation as you, and I finally decided on the 3DS. I bought it on craigslist for $120, and it came with Ocarina of Time. I beat it, then traded it in for Pokemon X. Now all I need is Sm4sh, Fire Emblem Awakening, Kirby Triple Delux, Omega Ruby, Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Kart and Link Between Worlds.

The sheer comfort, convenience, cheap-ness, library and 3d-ness of the 3DS makes it infinitely superior. Hence its infinitely-superior sales numbers.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, my inherent need for instant gratification would probably influence me to buy the 3DS version. However, at that point, I would probably want the Wii U version as that is quite clearly the superior version with all of the longevity. Controls are subjective, but it is going to be easier to use your controller of preference than the 3DS despite the notion that others found the controls "easy to get used to." Basically, that means, "it is possible and not as bad as you thought it was going to be." I have not heard ANYONE assert that they preferred the 3DS controls.

As others have mentioned, if there are other games in the 3DS library that you are interested in... it is worth the investment. However, if you are not interested in: Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon X and Y, Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Super Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default, Professor Layton and/or Ace Attorney, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds, or the 3DS remakes of Nintendo 64 classics: Star Fox 64 or Ocarina of Time... it is not worth the investment.

I tried to list out the 3DS titles worth a damn. If you only had to get one, I would base your decision off of other games, rather than Smash as anyone who is competent understands that the Wii U version is better for Smash. The only detriment is that it is not portable. So I suppose if that is relevant to your needs, consider that. For instance, I do not care about portability. I play my 3DS exclusively at home. So that point is moot regarding my habits. If you are interested in two or three titles that I listed above, it is probably worth the investment of a 2DS at the very least.

Kokiris

Smash Cadet
Smash 3DS marketing started, and so dumb peoples thinks it's the best version. But when they're gonna realize what the Wii U version truly got after the 3DS release, they'll start to cry about their choices :)

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Smash 3DS marketing started, and so dumb peoples thinks it's the best version. But when they're gonna realize what the Wii U version truly got after the 3DS release, they'll start to cry about their choices :)
Yes, because nothing is better than lugging my Wii U all the way to my friends house. Also, who doesn't love going on road trips and playing games on your lightweight Wii U.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Smash has always been a console game, so to me the more familiar version will be the Wii U one, but having portable Smash will be great. If you're not sure if the controls will bother you, you could go to a store that has it on demo (at least one should around release date). If you like it, get it, if not, go for the Wii U one.

My personal opinion? Wait for the Wii U one, but both I'm sure will be great games.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
Get the 3DS version, it'll be just as good as the Wii U (plus portability, nothing beats that).

Why are you even in the 3DS section? Go somewhere.

Top Bottom