• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I get Smash Bros Melee?

Should I get it?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I play Brawl and like competitive play. However, everybody says that Brawl is too slow and disappoints competitive players, so I want to get Melee because I like to play Smash more competitively and Melee is a competitive game. The thing is, I see competitive Melee players, for example Mango and Mew2King, and they're playing as fast as frick. I can't keep up with what they're doing, so my fingers probably can't do anything of what they're capable either. Another reason I feel like I possibly shouldn't get Melee is because I have a little bit of a difficulty with learning, so I might have a lot of troubles with Melee things like moonwalking, foxtrotting, wavedashing, etc so I might suck at the game if I can't learn those things. Even with these things, should I get Melee? I wanna get Melee because so many Smash players have it and Smash Bros is my favorite series of all time. Oh, and the reason why I have a Melee main under my avatar is because I thought you had to choose one for every game.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I play Brawl and like competitive play. However, everybody says that Brawl is too slow and disappoints competitive players,
That's just the internet or whatever twitch chat oozing melee or smash 4 elitism. Play whatever game you want and not give a crap about what other people say.

so I want to get Melee because I like to play Smash more competitively and Melee is a competitive game.
You don't have to play Melee to be a competitive Smash player. You can be just as competitive in one of the other games' scenes.

The thing is, I see competitive Melee players, for example Mango and Mew2King, and they're playing as fast as frick. I can't keep up with what they're doing, so my fingers probably can't do anything of what they're capable either. Another reason I feel like I possibly shouldn't get Melee is because I have a little bit of a difficulty with learning, so I might have a lot of troubles with Melee things like moonwalking, foxtrotting, wavedashing, etc so I might suck at the game if I can't learn those things
I'm sure this is everyone's first thought nowadays when they're trying to get into Melee. I was in the same boat you were a year or two ago; I thought I'd never be decent with movement at the game. A couple months of practice later, I was playing with somewhat decent movement.

Even with these things, should I get Melee? I wanna get Melee because so many Smash players have it and Smash Bros is my favorite series of all time.
We can't really tell you or convince you to start playing Melee. It's really down to your personal preference of what Smash game to play.

So few people can reach Mango's and Mew2King's level. Don't worry about not being able to put up a fight against them. Melee's a fun competitive game. The general tech skill is pretty easy to learn. I recommend it

Kadano

Magical Express
If you are unsure, don’t buy it yet. Watch some old videos (M2K vs Shiz, Mango vs Armada etc.) and some new ones. You‘ll either get the urge to pick up Melee for real, or you won’t.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sounds cliche but even for old school players, watching the melee documentary is a huge hype generator. If that doesn't spark something, forget it. But hopefully you'll like it and get 20XX tournament edition and enter a tournament one day. It's insanely fun.

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
it is definitely worth a try, same with project M, which if you like brawl, and like the playstyle of melee, try that!

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
If you are unsure, don’t buy it yet. Watch some old videos (M2K vs Shiz, Mango vs Armada etc.)
Well that's the whole reason of why I'm unsure. Those people look perfect at such an insanely fast game. I've seen the video ''How fast is Melee?'' and then there was this slowed down version of Fox doing all these competitive Fox things, with all these button inputs. Then it was put in real time and then there were so many inputs at once, probably about nine inputs a second. I can do more than nine inputs a second, but these Melee players know exactly where, when, how, why, and maybe a lot more ways you can use these inputs. The speed of the inputs in that video probably don't even compare to what you see in those tournaments. So pretty much, the reason I'm unsure about getting Melee is because my fingers are garbage.

Kadano

Magical Express
Who ever said you need to play spacies? Jigglypuff, Mario Bros., Marth, Ganondorf and many others are much easier on your hands.

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
play the entire roster, and try as many matchups on all the legal stages, then you will start to get a feel for the game and what you want to do.

Well that's the whole reason of why I'm unsure. Those people look perfect at such an insanely fast game. I've seen the video ''How fast is Melee?'' and then there was this slowed down version of Fox doing all these competitive Fox things, with all these button inputs. Then it was put in real time and then there were so many inputs at once, probably about nine inputs a second. I can do more than nine inputs a second, but these Melee players know exactly where, when, how, why, and maybe a lot more ways you can use these inputs. The speed of the inputs in that video probably don't even compare to what you see in those tournaments. So pretty much, the reason I'm unsure about getting Melee is because my fingers are garbage.
Don't diefy good players too much. You're thinking too poorly about yourself

Delta Chae

The Observer
That specifically was Chilean Fox player Dark who is very well known for having one of the most if not the most technical Foxes in the world. That being said there's a lot more to Melee than tech skill and Dark regularly loses to top players in his area that have less tech skill. All that tech skill means absolutely nothing if you lose neutral 9 times out of 10.

If tech skill is a concern for you then play Puff, Sheik, or Marth who get much more mileage out of strong fundamentals while requiring only basic tech.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Don't diefy good players too much. You're thinking too poorly about yourself
This is one of the biggest things I see among newer players and I really despise it. People thinking that the top players are all that matters and ignoring the actual game itself. Paying more attention to if your favorite player is winning rather than the whole picture. I don't suppose it's all bad, it builds hype for sure. But when it's the primary focus, I think it begins to hinder their ability to learn about the game.

I highly recommend picking up Melee. However, I would say that you should just go ahead and play whichever game is your favorite. Whether that be Smash 4, Brawl, Project M, or even Smash 64! Whatever is the most fun to you, you should play.
And don't let the tech skill frighten you. It becomes natural after a while and it becomes so much fun to slam away at your controller while you body your friends.

goobaje

Smash Cadet
I think what you sauy about pro players is wrong. I'm not slamming anyone, but as M2k says, no pro player is perfect. There are still things to be learned and honestly I had the same view you had a year ago. You just gotta suck it up, work hard, and practice. No one gets to the top without a lot of practice, and my fingers have sped up a lot with all the practice ive had. If you want to do it, do it!

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
That specifically was Chilean Fox player Dark who is very well known for having one of the most if not the most technical Foxes in the world. That being said there's a lot more to Melee than tech skill and Dark regularly loses to top players in his area that have less tech skill.
So tech skill barely if not doesn't help, whatever the f*** tech skill even is?
All that tech skill means absolutely nothing if you lose neutral 9 times out of 10.
God, the competitive Melee vocabulary.
If tech skill is a concern for you then play Puff, Sheik, or Marth who get much more mileage out of strong fundamentals while requiring only basic tech.
Aren't there other characters I can play that only require basic tech? Because if I got Melee I would play Kirby because I main him in Smash games in the series that don't have PAC-MAN, and I would play Kirby in Melee, regardless of his tier. He just fits my playstyle.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
So tech skill barely if not doesn't help? God, the competitive Melee vocabulary.Aren't there other characters I can play that only require basic tech? Because if I got Melee I would play Kirby because I main him in Smash games in the series that don't have PAC-MAN, and I would play Kirby in Melee, regardless of his tier. He just fits my playstyle.
Kirby isn't as terrible as most believe but he plays so much differently than most other characters, even Puff (who he has the most in common with). You will have to rely a lot on his fast tilts/Dsmash, OoS Bair, grab range, and also have impeccable spacing. But to actually get wins you will have to WD, DD, WL, and use other techs. IMO not much of the time you invest practicing and using Kirby will transfer when you inevitably switch to a much better character. I wouldn't recommend Kirby any player that doesn't have a high intelligence and a knack for hard reads and edge guarding.

Honestly just use Fox or Sheik. Even playing a lame low tech Fox you'd stand a better chance than after a year trying to use Kirby (unless you are some kind of savant).

Last edited:
So tech skill barely if not doesn't help, whatever the f*** tech skill even is?

God, the competitive Melee vocabulary.

Aren't there other characters I can play that only require basic tech? Because if I got Melee I would play Kirby because I main him in Smash games in the series that don't have PAC-MAN, and I would play Kirby in Melee, regardless of his tier. He just fits my playstyle.
Tech skill is just ability, in the simplest sense

"Neutral game" is used in all competitive fighting game's terminologies. It's just the 'game' that happens when players aren't comboing/hitting each other (yet)

Peach is really easy to use. Captain Falcon is a pretty simple character. Kirby's often considered as 1 of the worst characters in the game. Know what you're jumping into when you select him. Winning won't be impossible, just very unlikely/difficult

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
It's actually not that hard to get faster hands. It's more important to develop game sense and spacing as tech skill just evolves naturally with practice. Melee is a lot of fun as it seems like you just keep getting better and don't stagnate for long. It's very deep and is still changing today. It's better to get into the scene now as opposed to later.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So tech skill barely if not doesn't help, whatever the f*** tech skill even is? God, the competitive Melee vocabulary.Aren't there other characters I can play that only require basic tech? Because if I got Melee I would play Kirby because I main him in Smash games in the series that don't have PAC-MAN, and I would play Kirby in Melee, regardless of his tier. He just fits my playstyle.
You can play Kirby, but you won't make it far with Kirby. Just play Marth

or Project M

Delta Chae

The Observer
So tech skill barely if not doesn't help, whatever the f*** tech skill even is? God, the competitive Melee vocabulary.Aren't there other characters I can play that only require basic tech? Because if I got Melee I would play Kirby because I main him in Smash games in the series that don't have PAC-MAN, and I would play Kirby in Melee, regardless of his tier. He just fits my playstyle.
No, tech skill is very important but I would argue that your ability to outplay your opponent is just as if not more important. Tech skill is, simply put: your ability to manipulate the controller and produce the desired inputs for whatever action you are doing. Basically dexterity.

Neutral is when neither player has any distinct advantage over the other and both are simply poking eachother and trying to turn one of those pokes into an advantageous situation.

If you want to main Kirby nobody is going to stop you. You just need to understand what you are getting into by choosing to do so, same as any other character.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
You can play Kirby, but you won't make it far with Kirby. Just play Marth

or Project M
I give neither a f***, s***, or d*** about Kirby's tier and how far I will get with him. I'm playing Kirby right when I get my hands on Melee. I'm not going to play Marth, Falco, Fox, Jigglypuff, or any of these ''super duper or top tear wombo combo'' characters. I like to play characters that are underrated. Characters that people say suck but just don't know their potential. Kirby, Pichu, Ness, those tiers.
No, tech skill is very important but I would argue that your ability to outplay your opponent is just as if not more important. Tech skill is, simply put: your ability to manipulate the controller and produce the desired inputs for whatever action you are doing. Basically dexterity.
Ah, I see. Your ability to manipulate the controller. I would say I'm pretty good at tech still. I know exactly how to use the controller when it comes to the basics of how to control your character. There are times though that I try to use an up special but instead use a side special. Do pro players sometimes make that mistake too?

Neutral is when neither player has any distinct advantage over the other and both are simply poking eachother and trying to turn one of those pokes into an advantageous situation.
So pretty much playing safe until you have a big enough advantage to start playing aggressive? If not, I still understand. Now I have a new Smash vocabulary word to confuse my brother with :smirk:

If you want to main Kirby nobody is going to stop you. You just need to understand what you are getting into by choosing to do so, same as any other character.
While I said previously that I don't give a f***, s***, or d*** about Kirby's tier and how far I will get with him, I still feel like I will disgust and gross people out by maining a bottom tier, even knowing Kirby's considered garbage. I feel like people would talk s*** on me and not invite me to any Melee gatherings because since I main a bottom tier I would be less socially accepted as a Smash player and even as a person.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I give neither a f***, s***, or d*** about Kirby's tier and how far I will get with him. I'm playing Kirby right when I get my hands on Melee. I'm not going to play Marth, Falco, Fox, Jigglypuff, or any of these ''super duper or top tear wombo combo'' characters. I like to play characters that are underrated. Characters that people say suck but just don't know their potential. Kirby, Pichu, Ness, those tiers.
Ah, I see. Your ability to manipulate the controller. I would say I'm pretty good at tech still. I know exactly how to use the controller when it comes to the basics of how to control your character. There are times though that I try to use an up special but instead use a side special. Do pro players sometimes make that mistake too?

So pretty much playing safe until you have a big enough advantage to start playing aggressive? If not, I still understand. Now I have a new Smash vocabulary word to confuse my brother with :smirk:

While I said previously that I don't give a f***, s***, or d*** about Kirby's tier and how far I will get with him, I still feel like I will disgust and gross people out by maining a bottom tier, even knowing Kirby's considered garbage. I feel like people would talk s*** on me and not invite me to any Melee gatherings because since I main a bottom tier I would be less socially accepted as a Smash player and even as a person.
Yikes, the things you are saying here. You're setting yourself up for failure or you have no clue what you're getting into.

Those tiers don't have hidden potential, and you aren't going to be the magical person to unlock some amazing new discoveries about them after 14 years. I get being the underdog and trying to be "unique", that's fine but don't kid yourself if you think you are some special snowflake that's gonna wreck your local scene with poop characters (especially just starting out). Melee is very linear, the time you put in is VERY proportional to how good you are. If your local scene has veterans that have been playing for a few years, you will not be able to even stand a chance for a while (a year or more). It's not like Smash 4 or brawl where it's actually possible to go even with veterans, Melee requires experience and rewards it because actually has a high skill ceiling that allows for compounding skill and growth.

So using Kirby is like using only a knife, while other people using Fox/Falco it's like they have AK-47s pointed at you from 100yds away. There are a TON of obvious downsides to using Kirby. You would have to have an extreme skill, experience, and intellect advantage to win against a Fox that's been playing as long as you. And if people in your area have been playing already 3-4 years before you even started, you have no hope of ever winning.

And yes there will be people locally, probably a majority that will not want to play any low-tiers (especially BAD ones that can't WD or even do simple Melee tech). And even if you were to get to a competent level and somehow beat one of their top tiers they would still consider it a waste of valuable time since they could instead be practicing top tier common MUs that might actually face at regionals or nationals.

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Yikes, the things you are saying here. You're setting yourself up for failure or you have no clue what you're getting into.

Those tiers don't have hidden potential, and you aren't going to be the magical person to unlock some amazing new discoveries about them after 14 years. I get being the underdog and trying to be "unique", that's fine but don't kid yourself if you think you are some special snowflake that's gonna wreck your local scene with poop characters (especially just starting out). Melee is very linear, the time you put in is VERY proportional to how good you are. If your local scene has veterans that have been playing for a few years, you will not be able to even stand a chance for a while (a year or more). It's not like Smash 4 or brawl where it's actually possible to go even with veterans, Melee requires experience and rewards it because actually has a high skill ceiling that allows for compounding skill and growth.

So using Kirby is like using only a knife, while other people using Fox/Falco it's like they have AK-47s pointed at you from 100yds away. There are a TON of obvious downsides to using Kirby. You would have to have an extreme skill, experience, and intellect advantage to win against a Fox that's been playing as long as you. And if people in your area have been playing already 3-4 years before you even started, you have no hope of ever winning.

And yes there will be people locally, probably a majority that will not want to play any low-tiers (especially BAD ones that can't WD or even do simple Melee tech). And even if you were to get to a competent level and somehow beat one of their top tiers they would still consider it a waste of valuable time since they could instead be practicing top tier common MUs that might actually face at regionals or nationals.
So I think what you're saying here is either I shouldn't main Kirby or I should main Kirby along with a higher tier secondary to deal with some matchups. It kind of also sounds like you're saying it's impossible to be good with Kirby, which I disagree with. It's possible to be good with any character. It's definitely possible to be good with Fox and Falco and all those ''top tier wombo combo lol'' characters, but I believe there is also a way to be deadly with some hungry pink squishy ball. You're right, the bottom tiers don't have a lot of potential, but you shouldn't talk s*** on Kirby. He CAN be good. Though you're seriously sounding like you're saying ''Don't main Kirby. He's garbage and Melee is Fox only.''

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I think what you're saying here is either I shouldn't main Kirby or I should main Kirby along with a higher tier secondary to deal with some matchups. It kind of also sounds like you're saying it's impossible to be good with Kirby, which I disagree with. It's possible to be good with any character. It's definitely possible to be good with Fox and Falco and all those ''top tier wombo combo lol'' characters, but I believe there is also a way to be deadly with some hungry pink squishy ball. You're right, the bottom tiers don't have a lot of potential, but you shouldn't talk s*** on Kirby. He CAN be good. Though you're seriously sounding like you're saying ''Don't main Kirby. He's garbage and Melee is Fox only.''
Kid, the game is older than you... trying to tell people something about a game many have been playing longer than you've been alive is asking for trouble.

You could probably make some noise at a local level, and I mean the kind of local where most people are free, but once you go outside that, Kirby and other low tiers really falter

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I actually like Kirby and I think out of the bottom tiers he has the best chance (aside from Pichu) since he actually has some of the best tilts in the game and great grab range and a good bair that allows amazing edge guarding. He also can't be comboed very easily at all and his crouch nullifies a lot of the top tiers usual neutral strats.

I'll put as simply as I can considering you are new to Melee.

Kirby gets 1 hit......okay....now can't do anything more since he's too slow and his moves don't really set up for any combos on most of the cast.

Fox gets 1 hit.....now he has so many options to continue up to 4-5 hits combos and sometimes 0-deaths. Almost every single move sets up for something on any weight class.

Kirby gets a grab.....okay.....his throws don't lead to anything on almost anyone. His B and F throws can be jumped out of instantly until infinite percentages.

Fox gets a grab.....and now he can throw and combo/KO almost the entire cast.

Kirby can't convert like top tiers can. Kirby will get 5-13% off a hit while all the others can get 35-70%.....plus simple things like CGs....Kirby has nothing like that, no top tier qualities or priority.

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Kid, the game is older than you... trying to tell people something about a game many have been playing longer than you've been alive is asking for trouble.
Well, what I'm saying is my experience with the Smash games I'm familiar with.. God! Why the f*** is Melee so f****** different?!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well, what I'm saying is my experience with the Smash games I'm familiar with.. God! Why the f*** is Melee so f****** different?!
That doesn't really change much as Kirby is still on the lower end of the tier list in every Smash game, sans 64. He fairs better, to an extent, but the top tiers of the other games still destroy him.

Oh, and Melee is different cause it's a different game, simple as that.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Here I'll quote my earlier message -

Melee is very linear, the time you put in is VERY proportional to how good you are. If your local scene has veterans that have been playing for a few years, you will not be able to even stand a chance for a while (a year or more). It's not like Smash 4 or brawl where it's actually possible to go even with veterans, Melee requires experience and rewards it because actually has a high skill ceiling that allows for compounding skill and growth.
Melee is so fast that it's all about how fast a character is, and how far a character can take a hit confirm into combos. So if you're not fast and you don't know the combos (or how to escape those combos) then you will never win against equal or more skilled players.

Other smash games are so much slower and don't require as much knowledge and experience to have close games (or even wins) over equal or more skilled players. The skill ceiling is much lower, Nintendo intentionally did this so that newer players would never feel frustrated. With Melee the whole goal of that game is the complete opposite, it rewards speed, intelligence, and experience. It's a game that wants you to feel frustrated if you haven't put in the time like everyone else, deservedly so.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
I actually like Kirby and I think out of the bottom tiers he has the best chance (aside from Pichu) since he actually has some of the best tilts in the game and great grab range and a good bair that allows amazing edge guarding. He also can't be comboed very easily at all and his crouch nullifies a lot of the top tiers usual neutral strats.
Ok, good, you're not a ''Fox Falco wombo combo'' scrub.

I'll put as simply as I can considering you are new to Melee.
I'm not new to Melee, I've never played the game. I want to play the game and have a lot of fun.

Kirby gets 1 hit......okay....now can't do anything more since he's too slow and his moves don't really set up for any combos on most of the cast.

Fox gets 1 hit.....now he has so many options to continue up to 4-5 hits combos and sometimes 0-deaths. Almost every single move sets up for something on any weight class.
While you are true, I kind of disagree with this. Fox may have combos and options after doing certain things while Kirby doesn't but what if a decent Kirby was playing against a casual who doesn't know anything about combos and setups and all this competitive vocabulary, the Kirby would have an advantage because the Kirby player is smarter about Melee than the casual Fox player.

Kirby gets a grab.....okay.....his throws don't lead to anything on almost anyone. His B and F throws can be jumped out of instantly until infinite percentages.

Fox gets a grab.....and now he can throw and combo/KO almost the entire cast.
Again, it depends on the player about the advantages I think.

Kirby can't convert like top tiers can. Kirby will get 5-13% off a hit while all the others can get 35-70%.....plus simple things like CGs....Kirby has nothing like that, no top tier qualities or priority.
So true. I'm sure you just gotta learn with Kirby, man. CGs, another one of those vocabulary terms? There are just so many things I don't know..

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Ok, good, you're not a ''Fox Falco wombo combo'' scrub.

I'm not new to Melee, I've never played the game. I want to play the game and have a lot of fun.

While you are true, I kind of disagree with this. Fox may have combos and options after doing certain things while Kirby doesn't but what if a decent Kirby was playing against a casual who doesn't know anything about combos and setups and all this competitive vocabulary, the Kirby would have an advantage because the Kirby player is smarter about Melee than the casual Fox player.

Again, it depends on the player about the advantages I think.

So true. I'm sure you just gotta learn with Kirby, man. CGs, another one of those vocabulary terms? There are just so many things I don't know..
CGs = Chaingrabs

Like Sheik has a pseudo changrab on pretty much EVERYONE. She can Dthrow tech chase until KO percents theoretically and her Dthrow actually does decent damage (unlike most character's CGs).

"the Kirby would have an advantage because the Kirby player is smarter about Melee than the casual Fox player."

I hate to break it to you but this doesn't make much sense. Playing a low tier doesn't give you an automatic +10 intelligence over all other players. Top tiers players are just as smart if not smarter AND they are playing a good character that can 0-death when played properly. For the time you put in you will gain knowledge and find new ways to take 1 hit to the maximum possible damage. With Kirby you will never get that like you do with all the top tiers and some of the mid tiers, low tiers have much lower skill growth ceilings. And the "tech" and things you learn off those worse character aren't nearly as useful as the stuff the top tiers can learn and implement.

As an analogy, with low tiers you earn minimum wage $8/hr for the time you invest, with top tiers it would be like making $40/hr for the time invested.

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
"the Kirby would have an advantage because the Kirby player is smarter about Melee than the casual Fox player."

I hate to break it to you but this doesn't make much sense. Playing a low tier doesn't give you an automatic +10 intelligence over all other players. Top tiers players are just as smart if not smarter AND they are playing a good character that can 0-death when played properly. Putting in so much time you can have to gain knowledge and find new ways to take 1 hit to the maximum possible damage. With Kirby you will never get that like you do with all the top tiers and some of the mid tiers, low tiers have much lower skill growth ceilings. And the "tech" and things you learn off those worse character aren't nearly as useful as the stuff the top tiers can learn and implement.

As an analogy, with low tiers you earn minimum wage $8/hr for the time you invest, with top tiers it would be like making $40/hr for the time invested.
What I mean there is that if there's a decent Kirby player vs a complete noob Fox player, I say the Kirby has the advantage because the players knows how to play, rather than a top tier player not knowing anything about specials, jabs, aerials, things like that, and just thinks that Smash is about mashing random buttons. Also, I don't just wanna play Melee Kirby to be a special snowflake and be unique from those "Fox Falco wombo combo" players, I also want to play Melee Kirby because he's my Brawl main, and most important of all, he's fun. Smash Bros is a fun game. I want to play competitively at Evo and Apex, but I also want to play for fun. I want to buy Melee to enjoy myself with a fun fighting game to play when I'm bored. Me learning about these competitve things, according to my brother, has ruined the purpose of the game and is going against Sakurai's intentions for Smash Bros. Even knowing and doing these competitive things, I still play the game for fun. Now this thread is becoming a "Should I main Kirby when I get Melee" thread rather than this thread's actual title. So guys, should I get Melee? I want to get my hands on the game, I want it really bad, but I'm not sure I'm ready for a game that its own fanbase has made very intense.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
What I mean there is that if there's a decent Kirby player vs a complete noob Fox player, I say the Kirby has the advantage because the players knows how to play, rather than a top tier player not knowing anything about specials, jabs, aerials, things like that, and just thinks that Smash is about mashing random buttons. Also, I don't just wanna play Melee Kirby to be a special snowflake and be unique from those "Fox Falco wombo combo" players, I also want to play Melee Kirby because he's my Brawl main, and most important of all, he's fun. Smash Bros is a fun game. I want to play competitively at Evo and Apex, but I also want to play for fun. I want to buy Melee to enjoy myself with a fun fighting game to play when I'm bored. Me learning about these competitve things, according to my brother, has ruined the purpose of the game and is going against Sakurai's intentions for Smash Bros. Even knowing and doing these competitive things, I still play the game for fun. Now this thread is becoming a "Should I main Kirby when I get Melee" thread rather than this thread's actual title. So guys, should I get Melee? I want to get my hands on the game, I want it really bad, but I'm not sure I'm ready for a game that its own fanbase has made very intense.
If I'm being completely blunt/honest with you it's a dumb thread and dumb question.

Just get it, it doesn't cost very much and you have nothing to lose. If you want to play it for fun that's fine, but there is no point is asking or coming here then. Since a LARGE majority of the people here are into it competitively, it would just be a waste of everyone's time including your own.

You keep saying contradictory things about the fan base, and then saying you don't care what we think, then asking our opinions, and then arguing about the competitive aspect of the game and then wanting to compete, and then asking if you should get it or not to play casually.....and then competitively. It's coming off very troll-ish as if you are just wanting attention and posts to reply to.

Oh and P.S. Sakurai wanted more than anything for Melee to be a full on competitive game. You need to brush up on your history, you don't accidentally work night and day to jam pack so much tech and emergent game play into one of the greatest competitive games of all time.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Get ready to put in an insane amount if work as Kirby, get sick of losing, and switch mains.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
You need to have perfect execution to make any low tier character competitively viable. A lot of them actually have some pretty rigorous technical requirements to play well (yoshi and pikachu, especially) that many people overlook.

I play low tiers a lot (G&W, Kirby, and Bowser) and the biggest difference between them and high tiers (IMO) is not tech utilization, but is lack of viable strategy.

They have a lot of unique techniques and abilities that are so hopelessly overwhelmed by simple things characters like fox or sheik can do that it's very hard for them to be viable at a competitive level.

So, I'll say what I always say to people who are just starting out and wanting to play low tiers competitively: Play whatever character you want, but you don't get to be mad when someone who is just starting gets better than you, faster than you, because they chose a better character.

goobaje

Smash Cadet
I mean sure you might have a chance wrecking scrubs as kirby, but competitively he is less viable than high tiers. You'll have to put in a lot of work, and you'll probably realize that you're better off just playing another character if you have so much knowledge. I'll link you this video of Omni's that talks about why you should play a high tier. If you wanna learn a new game dont be so stubborn about who to play and soak in the new info like a sponge mang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNlI4jzNQ8

Top Bottom