• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Custom Mii's Be Seprated From Fighter Customs?

Would you allow Custom Mii's in a non-custom tournament?

• Total voters

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Assuming customs are banned, Custom Miis should be banned because any non-1111 moveset on any character should be considered a custom moveset. It's my personal opinion and I feel it's justified. Calling it an opinion doesn't discredit me.

Again, I'm not arguing to ban custom Miis. I'm arguing to consider them custom equally with other custom characters.

If customs are banned, custom Miis should be banned. If customs are not banned, custom Miis should not be banned.
You say you aren't one of those people who ban them out right which is a good thing in your eyes and it is..

..however your reasoning of bunching them into customs when they are separate from them is just as bad if not worse because you are forcing your opinion that they are something that they are not and ignoring their design as character.

Arguing that they are customs is just as bad as banning them because by limiting them to 1111, you pretty much are banning them but that I has been said before

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
What annoys me about your argument is this: You claim that your stance on the issue is justifiable, but when asked to justify your stance, you simply reword your stance. This is not justification. This is wasting everyone's time for not having any depth to your reasoning, save for "I oppose most so I must oppose all". This is a delicate and different situation, and the reason it's even a discussion in the first place is because Custom Mii Fighters are available in non custom play.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Ban Rosalina because shes the only one with Luma

Ban Diddy because hes the only one who can spawn Bananas

Ban Little Mac because he is the only one who has a KO Punch

Ban Kirby because he is the only one who can copy the opponent's B move.

Ban Mii Fighters because they are the only ones who can use other specials in a custom OFF environment.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
"Alternate Special Moves instead of Custom Special Move Variation" That's just semantics. I don't care how different they are. They're different and should be treated as custom. Palutena has "Alternate Special Moves" and they're considered custom.
See your key words there? "I don't care how different they are. They're different and should be treated as custom."

Why? They aren't customs so why should we make them into something they fundamentally aren't. You forcing your personal view doesn't help your argument or make your points more valid because they are literally not based on fact but based on how you view something which is opposite from what they are. That is like saying a very light skinned African is white just because he the skin of a Caucasian individual. That person isn't actually Caucasian but they look very close to one so therefore that person is not African American but Caucasian

See where a personal view can make an argument look silly?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Sure, and some people argue that Miis shouldn't even be allowed in the first place. Thankfully, I'm not one of those people.
looool at putting yourself above those people

I'd say they're far more justified than you are (there's at least consistency there, either miis are completely custom characters or they're all allowed by default). And you're not actually doing anything different, you're still ostracizing mii mains and banning their moves making them unviable.

Last edited:

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
looool at putting yourself above those people

I'd say they're far more justified than you are (there's at least consistency there, either miis are completely custom characters or they're all allowed by default). And you're not actually doing anything different, you're still ostracizing mii mains and banning their moves making them unviable.
Aah, see this is where I draw the line. Viability has nothing to do with this. The character has a unique option in the non custom environment. Viability is a relative term in the first place; using it to justify something doesn't work.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Aah, see this is where I draw the line. Viability has nothing to do with this. The character has a unique option in the non custom environment. Viability is a relative term in the first place; using it to justify something doesn't work.
Wasn't really an argument to why they should be legal, more to point out GwJ's double standard.

Even if all of miis alternate specials were blatantly worse than their 1111s I'd still be making all the same arguments.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's the thing. We're not supposed to be having a argument of opinions. We're supposed to be arguing facts as to why Mii fighter specials and custom moves are different. And you are not giving any substantial evidence to support that they are the same enough to be treated the same.

We're arguing that they are different enough to be subject to different rules and backing our arguments with factual difference from the game itself. This is the basis of the thread. You might as well be de-railing with your insistence on your personal opinion that is disrupting the main discussion.
I'll restate my argument:

A custom move is defined as a move that is not default.
Moves that are not default are designated as "1" (full set being "1111")
A set that is not 1111 should be considered custom.
1123 DK and 1123 Mii Brawler are both considered custom.
1111 DK and 1111 Mii Brawler are both considered non-custom.

It is my opinion that the toggle (see a few posts above for the image) is not the sole deciding factor on what makes something custom.

You might as well be.

Creating a default specifically for mii's is banning them. Like, it's not a debate.

They're not the same as any other character. Saying that mii fighters are like any other character is nothing but ignorance.

The rule doesn't say "1111" . The rules say custom fighters are off. This isn't just the games default, this is what all of the rulesets say.

They just add another rule to limit mii fighters because they don't use or care about mii fighters.

I don't care about getting a response from you, because putting it bluntly your logic is garbage and you're literally saying "I'm going by what I'm saying, not what the rules and game says". You're a brick wall, and the only reason why I'm posting this is for people that think like you but aren't nearly as dense.
I'm not creating a default for Miis, I'm defining the default. I do not hold the opinion that Miis have no default. I think they do have a default and that default is 1111. Even if I were to say Miis have no default, I still think 1111 should be considered the "default" because it is the same for all other characters. I do not think it is fair to give Miis access to more than one set when no other character is given that luxury.

Are you at least willing to admit that you understand the reason that this is a discussion is because they are enabled on the non custom character select screen and therefore hold some weight to an argument supporting them?
Sure. But as I've been saying, I do not think that button defines customs.

Assuming customs are banned, Sonic should be banned because any Sonic-based moveset on any character should be considered a custom moveset. It's my personal opinion and I feel it's justified.

^This is what you sound like to the rest of us.
Perhaps you should get your ears checked.

You say you aren't one of those people who ban them out right which is a good thing in your eyes and it is..

..however your reasoning of bunching them into customs when they are separate from them is just as bad if not worse because you are forcing your opinion that they are something that they are not and ignoring their design as character.

Arguing that they are customs is just as bad as banning them because by limiting them to 1111, you pretty much are banning them but that I has been said before
My reasoning for bunching non-1111 Miis into customs is that we bunch all other non-1111 characters into customs.

What annoys me about your argument is this: You claim that your stance on the issue is justifiable, but when asked to justify your stance, you simply reword your stance. This is not justification. This is wasting everyone's time for not having any depth to your reasoning, save for "I oppose most so I must oppose all". This is a delicate and different situation, and the reason it's even a discussion in the first place is because Custom Mii Fighters are available in non custom play.
I have a definition for customs and an argument for why Custom Mii Fighters are considered in them:

My definition of custom differentiates from all of yours because I do not considered the toggle on the CSS to be what defines a custom move. The game does not define customs for us. You can select custom Miis with customs off, yet to create them you must go in the custom menu in the first place. However, that would make it impossible to allow Miis in the first place under a no-customs environment. That is why I am not arguing that the game's label defines what we view as customs. My view of customs is the most reasonable in that it most accurately describes what we mean when we say custom.

Ban Rosalina because shes the only one with Luma

Ban Diddy because hes the only one who can spawn Bananas

Ban Little Mac because he is the only one who has a KO Punch

Ban Kirby because he is the only one who can copy the opponent's B move.

Ban Mii Fighters because they are the only ones who can use other specials in a custom OFF environment.
Luma is not a custom move. Nanner is not a custom move. KO punch is not a custom move. Inhale is not a custom move. Using other specials in a custom OFF environment is customs, which happens to be what we're arguing about.

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
Wasn't really an argument to why they should be legal, more to point out GwJ's double standard.

Even if all of miis alternate specials were blatantly worse than their 1111s I'd still be making all the same arguments.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not a Mii Fighter main, and I care very little for the character in general. But I'm not blind to the rules that we make as a competitive community. The rule of "1111 Mii's only" was made early in the beginning because we wanted customs as a whole completely separate for a certain amount of time and this was the simplest way to do it.

Now that it's been openly realized that Mii specials are available even when customs are off, this rule can now be called into question with full legitimacy. We're basically saying "Why do we need this rule now? Let's get rid of it and see how things go." That is the basis of our arguments now.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps you should get your ears checked.
Or maybe you should start listening to yourself. All this time and you STILL haven't provided a legitimate reason for why we should use your definition of "custom move" over the game's. You just keep saying that your definition is "better" or "justified" and act like that's reason enough to go against the game's definition.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
"My reasoning for bunching non-1111 Miis into customs is that we bunch all other non-1111 characters into customs."

Again, why are you treating them like traditional fighters that were designed to have a default moveset? The Miis ONCE AGAIN are balanced and designed that way so why are you ignoring their design and making them something they are not? That is my question, stop dodging the question at hand please.

Your reasoning is that its not default so its a customs..yet

How can you argue that when the character has no defaults?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
"My reasoning for bunching non-1111 Miis into customs is that we bunch all other non-1111 characters into customs."

Again, why are you treating them like traditional fighters that were designed to have a default moveset? The Miis ONCE AGAIN are balanced and designed that way so why are you ignoring their design and making them something they are not? That is my question, stop dodging the question at hand please.

Your reasoning is that its not default so its a customs..yet

How can you argue that when the character has no defaults?
Why should I even make a distinction between Miis and traditional fighters. They're all fighters with xxxx movesets. I don't care if they're balanced; it has no impact on the discussion.

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
I'll restate my argument:

It is my opinion that the toggle (see a few posts above for the image) is not the sole deciding factor on what makes something custom.
I don't think you understand that by saying "It is my opinion that the toggle (see a few posts above for the image) is not the sole deciding factor on what makes something custom." I can now say whatever I want and label it my opinion and the discussion goes nowhere.

Opinions are for the poll. The reply box is for discussion about your opinion. Discussion involves give and take with information. You stated that you believe your opinion to be truth. You now have to state the reason why you believe that to be true for this to go any further, since I and many others have stated our opinions as well as given a reason for why we believe ours to be true. Since they're not the same, the ball is in your court. So to speak.

After that, we can try the facts that show that our opinions are truth and have a real discussion, but so far we haven't made it this far and I still wait for that post. All we can do is say what we've already said, since you haven't given anything further to discuss that we haven't already discussed.

My definition of custom differentiates from all of yours because I do not considered the toggle on the CSS to be what defines a custom move. The game does not define customs for us. You can select custom Miis with customs off, yet to create them you must go in the custom menu in the first place. However, that would make it impossible to allow Miis in the first place under a no-customs environment. That is why I am not arguing that the game's label defines what we view as customs. My view of customs is the most reasonable in that it most accurately describes what we mean when we say custom.
Why should I even make a distinction between Miis and traditional fighters. They're all fighters with xxxx movesets. I don't care if they're balanced; it has no impact on the discussion.
..HUH?!

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Luma is not a custom move. Nanner is not a custom move. KO punch is not a custom move. Inhale is not a custom move. Using other specials in a custom OFF environment is customs, which happens to be what we're arguing about.
For some reason I've got a feeling that you reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly hate custom moves, even when they're not custom moves.

My sincerest condolences if they've scared you for life. I hope you and your family are okay

Just... don't get mad if you're at the airport checking out customs. You have to do that.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't think you understand that by saying "It is my opinion that the toggle (see a few posts above for the image) is not the sole deciding factor on what makes something custom." I can now say whatever I want and label it my opinion and the discussion goes nowhere.

Opinions are for the poll. The reply box is for discussion about your opinion. Discussion involves give and take with information. You stated that you believe your opinion to be truth. You now have to state the reason why you believe that to be true for this to go any further, since I and many others have stated our opinions as well as given a reason for why we believe ours to be true. Since they're not the same, the ball is in your court. So to speak.

After that, we can try the facts that show that our opinions are truth and have a real discussion, but so far we haven't made it this far and I still wait for that post. All we can do is say what we've already said, since you haven't given anything further to discuss that we haven't already discussed.
I haven't been saying I don't accept the toggle as the deciding factor for no reason. The toggle says Miis are not customs. The menu says ALL Miis are customs. I argue the best definition of customs isn't decided by either of these, but by looking at what makes a character custom, or their moves.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2

Gotta be careful with the wording. I instantly shoot down the "Viability" argument for custom characters.

Back to GwJ, though.

You fail to elaborate. You fail to justify. You fail to view this from any perspective besides those previously formed. You aren't actually arguing anything, you're throwing your opinions out there as if to be fact. Your opinions are, in fact, not fact.
I'm not creating a default for Miis, I'm defining the default. I do not hold the opinion that Miis have no default. I think they do have a default and that default is 1111. Even if I were to say Miis have no default, I still think 1111 should be considered the "default" because it is the same for all other characters. I do not think it is fair to give Miis access to more than one set when no other character is given that luxury.

I have a definition for customs and an argument for why Custom Mii Fighters are considered in them:

This is you pegging your opinion as fact once again. The fact that I don't agree with you here means that while your definition is well thought out, it is not the end all answer to the matter of customs. As it stands, customs are defined by the game. Period. When customs are off, the sets are 1111. The Mii Fighters have 1111, but this is not necesarily the default set, as Miis do not have a default set until finalized. Grandfathering the definition of customs and bootlegging it as fact does not help you.

The point is that these characters have unique tools, and these unique tools are what make them the characters they are. If Miis have custom moves available to them in default play, then that is to be considered their unique property, as no other character is able to do so.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Because they're different fighters with different defaults.

Balanced doesn't matter. We're not playing with 1111. We're playing with defaults. Mii Fighters defaults are that they either don't exist or that they have access to all of their moves. You don't decide the default, the game does. This isn't a debate. This is you, people like you, and garbage TO's making bad rules and getting away with it only because the majority of people that make these rules don't care about or use Mii Fighters.

If you're failing to understand that we're playing with defaults (which is VERY CLEARLY not 1111 for Mii Fighters), then you have no place in this discussion.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Ummm in order for a player to use a Mii with a certain custom moveset (after all that's literally what it is), they must first go to the actual CUSTOM MOVES section of the game. In other words, they are still considered "custom moves" and should be categorized as such.

Yes, they can be selected when the icon says "Custom Fighters Off". However, you go about CUSTOMIZING their moveset the same way you would Diddy, Rosalina, Sheik, etc.

If custom moves are to be banned, then they should ALL be banned. After all, you go to the same place to change them no matter the type of character.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Gotta be careful with the wording. I instantly shoot down the "Viability" argument for custom characters.
This is very true. The viability improvement is not to be considered a forefront argument. That being said, I'm already heavily convinced that Mii Brawler is mid tier at best without size changes and when everybody learns the MU.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This is you pegging your opinion as fact once again. The fact that I don't agree with you here means that while your definition is well thought out, it is not the end all answer to the matter of customs. As it stands, customs are defined by the game. Period. When customs are off, the sets are 1111. The Mii Fighters have 1111, but this is not necesarily the default set, as Miis do not have a default set until finalized. Grandfathering the definition of customs and bootlegging it as fact does not help you.
Hence why the toggle does not properly define customs. The game contradicts itself.

The point is that these characters have unique tools, and these unique tools are what make them the characters they are. If Miis have custom moves available to them in default play, then that is to be considered their unique property, as no other character is able to do so.
If Miis have custom moves available to them in default play, we should ban them because custom moves aren't allowed in default play.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
Ummm in order for a player to use a Mii with a certain custom moveset (after all that's literally what it is), they must first go to the actual CUSTOM MOVES section of the game. In other words, they are still considered "custom moves" and should be categorized as such.

Yes, they can be selected when the icon says "Custom Fighters Off". However, you go about CUSTOMIZING their moveset the same way you would Diddy, Rosalina, Sheik, etc.

If custom moves are to be banned, then they should ALL be banned. After all, you go to the same place to change them no matter the type of character.
You've completely missed the point of this discussion. The character is not available by default; a Mii must be created before made available for use. The act of customization is not the issue here. The fact that the miis are allowed to have customs in a non custom environment is why anyone is even talking about it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You do realize that to even get 1111 Mii Fighters you have to do this too.... right?

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
Hence why the toggle does not properly define customs. The game contradicts itself.

If Miis have custom moves available to them in default play, we should ban them because custom moves aren't allowed in default play.
All this talk of the game contradicting itself and you've gone and done it too. Custom moves are allowed in non custom play, as Mii Fighters have customs available to them.

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
I haven't been saying I don't accept the toggle as the deciding factor for no reason. The toggle says Miis are not customs. The menu says ALL Miis are customs. I argue the best definition of customs isn't decided by either of these, but by looking at what makes a character custom, or their moves.
That goes against the main point of having a "Competitive Ruleset". That is when people try to adjust factors to allow us to play the game with as little random-ness as possible, and still allow for skill to have the most benefit in winning a match, all while adhering to as many of the in-game rules as possible.

What you are trying to do is make Smash 5. There is a huge difference that we're attempting to do here...

We're not going around changing the game's rules here. Only you are.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You've completely missed the point of this discussion. The character is not available by default; a Mii must be created before made available for use. The act of customization is not the issue here. The fact that the miis are allowed to have customs in a non custom environment is why anyone is even talking about it.
You do realize that to even get 1111 Mii Fighters you have to do this too.... right?
Hence why the game's toggles/menus don't properly define customs.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
"In order for a player to use a Mii" is all you needed to say.

You have to go to that menu to add that character to the menu.

You create a 1111 mii just like you create a 1112 Mii. They're all the same CUSTOM OFF and DEFAULT character. 1112 is a default mii fighter. 3322 is a default mii fighter. 1111 is a default mii fighter.

The default Mii Fighter is that they don't exist or that they have all of their moves. 1111-only is NOT a default for Mii Fighter. 1111 is a piss poor excuse of an attempt to standardize Mii Fighters. Seriously, if you're going to force Mii Fighters into 1111, you're better off banning them.

You're not legalizing Mii Fighters by forcing them into 1111. You're just adding three bottom 3 characters to the roster and expecting Mii Fighter mains to play them and to take your tournament seriously lmao.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Why should you? Because its important to the conversation because they are different. Ignoring design and just saying "oh this is traditional and they aren't but they are close enough so I will count it" is a lazy, ignorant and un-intelligent response

If you don't care if they're balance, that is fine but that does have an impact on the discussion because its a point to the discussion as a whole and its also part of the discussion where you ignore truth in place of how you personally feel.

Tbh Jay has had your number from the start and I didn't need to jump into this but your blatant and INTENTIONAL ignorance towards the design of the character is just appalling. How you can consider your own view as a solid point is beyond me at this point

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hence why the game's toggles/menus don't properly define customs.
If you're going to ban customs, you ban Mii Fighters as well. You don't limit them to 1111 only. It should be up to the TO's to allow Mii fighters or not. But if mii fighters ARE allowed, then they get to use anything they want

They're two separate toggles for a reason

You can have them both off, both on, one of and the other on, and vice versa.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If you're going to ban customs, you ban Mii Fighters as well. You don't limit them to 1111 only. It should be up to the TO's to allow Mii fighters or not. But if mii fighters ARE allowed, then they get to use anything they want

They're two separate toggles for a reason

You can have them both off, both on, one of and the other on, and vice versa.
I don't believe 1111 Mii is custom, so I don't have to ban it. The toggles don't define customs because the game contradicts itself.

no, they do not fit with YOUR INTERPRETATION of customs.

You are once again stating your opinion as fact and it is not working.
No I am not. The game says Miis are not customs. The game also says Miis ARE customs. That is a fact.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't believe 1111 Mii is custom, so I don't have to ban it. The toggles don't define customs because the game contradicts itself.

No I am not. The game says Miis are not customs. The game also says Miis ARE customs. That is a fact.
Your own opinion is being a tiebreaker. Yes you are.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
And I'm sure everyone here realizes that a standard character's moveset in the custom moves section is also considered 1111? In other words their moveset would have to be matching in order for it to not be considered "custom". Deviating from this standard becomes customization.

And if we aren't arguing " viability" why would anyone use the argument "they are 3 bottom tiers" @ Dooms Dooms if viability is not an argument, then this goes down the drain.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Where does the game say that the Mii's alternate moves are "custom moves" in the same way everyone else's are? It only says the exact opposite.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
No, the game says that Miis are not customs. The game also says that Miis are CUSTOMIZABLE, but allowed in non custom play. The game has taken its stance on customs and you refuse to accept it.

What you're going to say next is that "We should not trust the game's definition of what is custom or not, but instead yours as it is 'the most reasonable'".

Check. Mate.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
No, the game says that Miis are not customs. The game also says that Miis are CUSTOMIZABLE, but allowed in non custom play. The game has taken its stance on customs and you refuse to accept it.

What you're going to say next is that "We should not trust the game's definition of what is custom or not, but instead yours as it is 'the most reasonable'".

Check. Mate.
Miis are literally under the menu labeled "Custom"

Top Bottom