• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Loving the artstyle in SF5.

Cammy right now is fan service galore.
Every female is becoming fanservice in SF5 im guessing. The first build Chun li was maximum fanservice, they toned her down now but still. Maybe its cuz of the improved art direction oh well.

DK=Zangief, Sheik=Chun-Li/Ibuki(?), ZSS=C. Viper, Bowser=T. Hawk, Little Mac=Dudley On mobile, so format might look wonky. These are a few characters from SF and Smash I think are comparable more/less. Could be wrong. Kinda want this to be a thing in social, but who knows.
Here's mine
:4bowser:- Zangeif(Drop kick)
:4ganondorf:- Hugo(Biggest characters in their games)
:4falcon:- Ken(hotblooded,unpredictable and both have fire uppercuts)
:4metaknight:- Vega(Masked fighters, Vega hates ugly people, MK hates lazy people)
:4greninja:- Ibuki(Dorky ninja)
:4zss:- Cammy(Fanservice hot blondes that are fast and use kick moves)
:4yoshi:- Akuma(Victory pose)
:4zelda:- Dan(lololol get it?)
:4littlemac:- Dudley(Boxing + Similar idle animation)
:4sheik:- Poison(Man or Woman?)
:4wario2:- M.Bison(Huge smiles,signature laughs and both wear hats)
:4miibrawl:- Sean(TORNEEEEI 3S players will get it)
:4ryu: -Ryu
:4sonic:- El Furte(TOO FAST 4 U)

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
You guys are such party-poopers.

BTW, I think Ryu can fake-out a Hadouken, pretty much like he did in the past. When inputting the command, tap twice :GCA: or :GCB:. Like this, Ryu will just let a small dust out of his hands. Can someone lab it? It's a good course of action to play mind-games against spammers.
Not sure how I pooped on your party. I thought was interesting. Anyway I think this fake out dealio could interesting

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Been trying for a bit with no success, leaning more towards no.
Theoretically, what would we use this option for if we could do that?

Last edited:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Been trying for a bit with no success, leaning more towards no.
Theoretically, what would we use this option for if we could do that?
Mind games. Pretty much it. After throwing one or two actual ones out to keep people at bay off stage, you could throw out a fake and bait some unfavorable movements. Probably wouldn't be the most viable thing in the world, but nice to have in your pocket.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Mind games. Pretty much it. After throwing one or two actual ones out to keep people at bay off stage, you could throw out a fake and bait some unfavorable movements. Probably wouldn't be the most viable thing in the world, but nice to have in your pocket.
But isn't the animation the same as actually throwing a hadoken? (Puff of smoke)
It would be the same as throwing it except you wouldn't have a hitbox with it.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
But isn't the animation the same as actually throwing a hadoken? (Puff of smoke)
It would be the same as throwing it except you wouldn't have a hitbox with it.
Yeah, thats what I'm saying. Would be the same animation so people would think a hadoken is coming, but a puff of smoke comes out and they would hopefully make their recovery decision based on that. Like I said, probably not the most viable thing but still a thing.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
actually, i think fake hadouken is a thing. I've seem several players try throwing out a fireball, but only a puff a smoke comes out, probably from trying to throw it before the one no stage disappeared. Is this what you guys are talking about?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
If a fake hadouken has the same frame data as a normal hadouken... there will never be a reason to do a fake hadouken... unless you're trying to bait out a reflect or absorb.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anybody notice Ryu striking his parry pose when perfect shielding?

And how many times have you done an "accidental" input shoryu for the win?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Man, I really wish people would read the stickied threads before making the same thread as a bunch of other people.

I bet three months from now we're still going to get people questioning how to do Ryu's input moves :ohwell:

The fact the Combo thread has three times as many views as the Q&A thread only proves my point lol. People don't care to ACTUALLY learn the character, they just wanna learn flashy combos and style without putting in the appropriate work.

Last edited:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Man, I really wish people would read the stickied threads before making the same thread as a bunch of other people.

I bet three months from now we're still going to get people questioning how to do Ryu's input moves :ohwell:
Welcome to online forums hahah Never will change

Being an adult sucks, hinders my Smash Bros time. I could be labbing Ryu but instead I'm selling cars right now and planning my wedding when I get home. Get rekt child-Itch :(

mimgrim

Smash Hero

The fact the Combo thread has three times as many views as the Q&A thread only proves my point lol. People don't care to ACTUALLY learn the character, they just wanna learn flashy combos and style without putting in the appropriate work.
Aka just like every other fighting game.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
This was pretty much the case when street fighter 4 came out. Especially when trying to learn Zangief and Gen.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You know I'm think about creating a thread about SF terminology, not that I'm an expert at it, so things become less confusing for those who don't the SF terminology thqt getw used. Thoughts?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You know I'm think about creating a thread about SF terminology, not that I'm an expert at it, so things become less confusing for those who don't the SF terminology thqt getw used. Thoughts?
Def should make a thread. It'll help us (hopefully) make the transition to just use SF terms for his attacks since they make more sense to use.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I think that instead of having many important threads we should focus on having just a few, but information rich threads as to avoid needless board cluttering. We should try to have all the necessary information as easy to find as possible. To this end, the terminology could go in the Q&A thread (which already has a dictionary of sorts), or in a guide/character overview. I'm working on a guide/character over view which will focus on dmg data and Kb, inputs, explanations of certain Smash mechanics for new members (such as DI, stale moves, etc), and will also centralize the frame data that I have already found in two separate threads.

If you want we can work together to have the terminology in it a well as to make the guide even more complete and helpful for new members.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think I can get most of it myself. I'm only unsure as what to do about strong Utilt and strong Ftilt, dunno if jab can be brought to SF lingo but I think jab works just fine for it as is.

I know weak Dtilt is cr.lk, strong Dtilt is cr.mk, Dsmash is cr.hk, weak Ftilt is st.lk, Fsmash is st.hk, weak Utilit is st.lp (or at least its equivilent in Smash) and Usmash is st.hp. I think strong Utilt is st.mp and strong Ftilt is foward st.mp (not really sure on that) and there doesn't seem to be a st.mk as far as I can tell.

The Specials and motions lingo are easy at least.

Edit - personally I'm of the opinion where I would rather see more threads with info rather then fewer. But this is because I hate cluttered threads (Too much stuff in a single thread isn't good looking imo) while a cluttered forum is less of an issue to me as long as it is done properly. But I'm fine with w/e

Last edited:

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Up tilt2 looks like to close.hp (when you're right next to the opponent) from the Street Fighter games, and F-Tilt2 is called Collarbone Breaker according to Smash / Street Fighter. F-Smash is called Joudan Sokutogeri (or Donkey Kick in some circles). I want to say that st.mk is Ryu's pummel, but I'm not too sure on that.

I'd like to help in anyway I can, no matter how small.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I think I can get most of it myself. I'm only unsure as what to do about strong Utilt and strong Ftilt, dunno if jab can be brought to SF lingo but I think jab works just fine for it as is.

I know weak Dtilt is cr.lk, strong Dtilt is cr.mk, Dsmash is cr.hk, weak Ftilt is st.lk, Fsmash is st.hk, weak Utilit is st.lp (or at least its equivilent in Smash) and Usmash is st.hp. I think strong Utilt is st.mp and strong Ftilt is foward st.mp (not really sure on that) and there doesn't seem to be a st.mk as far as I can tell.

You'll have a hard time matching all the moves since smash has more throws and we also have the jabs (which I think Jab 1 is St.lp). Maybe try to just agree on out to en terminology but have a table of equivalences of sorts for SF players looking to pick up Ryu here.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well you guys keep on fixing up my terminology for the moves I listed, if anyone knows the lingo for his aerials as well that would be cool. When I get onto acomp I'll try to organize everything together and we can make a new thread or put it in the q/a thread. Probs won't be on comp till tommorow though and tablet is annoying as ****.

There's a glossary in the Q&A thread
Yea I know but it is small and stuff and I'm looking at linking all his attacks to SF lingo.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Yea I know but it is small and stuff and I'm looking at linking all his attacks to SF lingo.
These are all of Ryu's moves that correspond to Street Fighter. Names use traditional Street Fighter names for the buttons (see attached pic). I just added all of this info to the Q&A thread by the way! Animations are from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Capcom Vs. SNK 2, and Street Fighter II Turbo.

DSC03111.JPG

F-Smash (Joudan Sokuto Geri)
U-Smash (Crouching Fierce Punch)
D-Smash (Crouching Roundhouse Kick)
F-Air (Jumping Forward Kick)
U-Air (Jumping Strong Punch)
D-Air (Jumping Fierce Punch)
B-Air (Neutral Jump Roundhouse Kick)
N-Air (Jumping Short Kick)
Strong F-Tilt ( Command Normal. Forward + Strong Punch = Collarbone Breaker)
Weak F-Tilt (Far Standing Forward Kick)
Strong D-Tilt (Crouching Forward Kick)
Weak D-Tilt (Crouching Short Kick)
Strong U-Tilt (Close Standing Fierce Punch)
Weak U-Tilt (Close Standing Jab Punch)
Ledge Attack (Crouching Roundhouse Kick [From Street Fighter 3])
Jab Combo (Far Standing Jab Punch, Close Standing Strong Punch, Far Standing Fierce Punch)
HOLD Jab (Far Standing Roundhouse Kick)

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice

Edit - personally I'm of the opinion where I would rather see more threads with info rather then fewer. But this is because I hate cluttered threads (Too much stuff in a single thread isn't good looking imo) while a cluttered forum is less of an issue to me as long as it is done properly. But I'm fine with w/e

USmash is actually cr.hp, if I'm not mistaken. In SFII that was his anti-air. While fsmash is his Donkey Kick (from Third Strike), it's his strong neutral that's actually his st.hk. Utilt2 is cl.hp (close hard punch) if I recall correctly, and Ftilt2 is actually his forward st.mp overhead. Nintendo actually snuck in his forward st.hp move in the second hit of his jab combo, which I thought was pretty cute, lol. His Ftilt1 is actually not in SFII. I've seen that move somewhere before, but not in SF2 that's for sure. Nair is his j.lp/nj.lp, fair is j.mk (or j.hk, since it's the same exact move, but stronger), uair is j.mp, bair is nj.hk and dair is j.hp.

Seems I've been ninja'd ;_;

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
I want to say that st.mk is Ryu's pummel, but I'm not too sure on that.
His pummel in Smash might actually be his pummel from the Street Fighter Alpha series. I remember in SFA3 a lot of characters had multiple normal throws. One version would typically be a normal grab-and-throw, but others were really similar to how they are in Smash where you just mash the buttons for more hits.

It's been a while since I've played those games though so I'm not sure if that's the case for Ryu. I know Ken had one.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Question. Would you guys pay for alternate DLC costumes? Not just for Ryu, but the whole entire cast, just like how Capcom does for Ultra SF4. A whole bundle pack with 4-8 additional costumes for every character for $10. Reasonable?

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Question. Would you guys pay for alternate DLC costumes? Not just for Ryu, but the whole entire cast, just like how Capcom does for Ultra SF4. A whole bundle pack with 4-8 additional costumes for every character for $10. Reasonable?
I just want evil ryu skin at least

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
I just want evil ryu skin at least
I don't know why Nintendo didn't give him 16 colors like they did with Little Mac. The 8 he has now, his green gi/red headband, dark blue gi/white headband, purple gi (Akuma reference), Ken, Dan, Gouken colors (dirty, dusty, dark olive green top and tan bottoms), Sean, and Evil Ryu. But, you know, only in a perfect world....

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I want a Ken (my SF main) and Akuma reskin, similar to the Koopalings. Also because red tends to be the color of my smash chars (red or white).

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Wished for an Abel skin... Oh wait! He ain't shoto. Wished I could Tornado Throw to oblivion.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
Do we really need a thread for Street Fighter terminology? Lol. What would it contain? The FG lingo for his numerous normals and inputs? I'm fine with referring his strong D.Tilt as "strong D.Tilt" and not "crouch forward". I think we need to come to an understanding that despite Ryu being from Street Fighter, this is still Smash in every single way. I even see some people making comparisons to his street fighter self saying things like "well he could never combo from a throw in Street Fighter so it makes sense he can't do it here..."

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Do we really need a thread for Street Fighter terminology? Lol. What would it contain? The FG lingo for his numerous normals and inputs? I'm fine with referring his strong D.Tilt as "strong D.Tilt" and not "crouch forward". I think we need to come to an understanding that despite Ryu being from Street Fighter, this is still Smash in every single way. I even see some people making comparisons to his street fighter self saying things like "well he could never combo from a throw in Street Fighter so it makes sense he can't do it here..."
That's what happens when you mix a true fighting game character in a party game.
:troll:

Top Bottom