• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I feel like the more time passes and the more people are dissing Shantae, the more fed up I see people in here and elsewhere get. I understand that all the jokes about what we'll do once she gets revealed are in good fun, but let's be more humble and mature with our reactions once she's added.

I know it may be tempting to rub it in everyone's faces, but that's really just giving them a justification to have been acting poorly in the first place. Let's all celebrate together and voice our happiness, but not in an angry, arrogant manner towards others. Kill 'em with kindness as it were.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Okay, wow. Been here for a couple weeks and this one crazy theory is my most liked. Well, here's some of my MORE crazy theory that goes off but comes back to Shantae.

Anybody remember that "leak" with Skullkid? Where he's a potential boss? Lets think about that for a second. What if it were true?

Now, I never played any of the Legend of Zelda games, but it seems Skullkid is the most favorite. Only game I have played was Windwaker, and even then its not my forte. But anyway....

I assume Skullkid is in Breath of the Wild. Probably. But lets say that Sakurai takes some of his moves from that game (or Majoras Mask is where I'm guessing he came from) and makes them into Smash Bros. Would they be any fun to play with? I honestly don't know, so someone who HAS played it, let me know.

Even Bomberman is an odd choice as a playable character. Nothing wrong with him, we have Shantae. But if he's any fun is the real question.

I watched walkthroughs of bomberman, and his playstyle isn't exactly fun for or against. If for, he'd be an absolute stage hazard, making it completely difficult to even land a hit. PLUS, different types of bombs too? Its chaotic! I love me chaotic, but its not fun for bomber to constantly leave bombs that he himself could be hurt by, or pass of as nothing, and against if he has absolute stage control the moment he sets foot. We already have Bayonetta.

It makes sense why Sakurai put him as an assist trophy. He wouldn't be fun to implement.

Where it BACKFIRES is someone like Rayman. Rayman is a good game. Rayman is fun. HE is fun. To play with, AND would be fun to play against. Rabbids too. Yes, we'd be a little annoyed, but its just the sound they make, rather than their character. If they tone down how they shout, everyone would warm up to them.

If we think like this, we can potentially see who has the most LIKELY chance of getting in, EVEN if they fit ALL of the requirements.

I think I have a picture too. Its somewhere around it, but it should give us an idea if Shantae fits the deal. I'll come back with an edit if I find it.

EDIT:
Skull Kid, as a character, wouldn't make for a good character, mainly because he seems to be very limited to what he could do even with the Majora's Mask. We simply don't know how powerful a mage he is if he didn't have the mask on. That being said, though, I think he could make for a pretty good boss character, since with the mask, he is able to do nasty stuff with the characters (as proven in Majora's Mask), alongside with Majora itself being able to detatch from its host and fight against you, the hero.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, wow. Been here for a couple weeks and this one crazy theory is my most liked. Well, here's some of my MORE crazy theory that goes off but comes back to Shantae.

Anybody remember that "leak" with Skullkid? Where he's a potential boss? Lets think about that for a second. What if it were true?

Now, I never played any of the Legend of Zelda games, but it seems Skullkid is the most favorite. Only game I have played was Windwaker, and even then its not my forte. But anyway....

I assume Skullkid is in Breath of the Wild. Probably. But lets say that Sakurai takes some of his moves from that game (or Majoras Mask is where I'm guessing he came from) and makes them into Smash Bros. Would they be any fun to play with? I honestly don't know, so someone who HAS played it, let me know.

Even Bomberman is an odd choice as a playable character. Nothing wrong with him, we have Shantae. But if he's any fun is the real question.

I watched walkthroughs of bomberman, and his playstyle isn't exactly fun for or against. If for, he'd be an absolute stage hazard, making it completely difficult to even land a hit. PLUS, different types of bombs too? Its chaotic! I love me chaotic, but its not fun for bomber to constantly leave bombs that he himself could be hurt by, or pass of as nothing, and against if he has absolute stage control the moment he sets foot. We already have Bayonetta.

It makes sense why Sakurai put him as an assist trophy. He wouldn't be fun to implement.

Where it BACKFIRES is someone like Rayman. Rayman is a good game. Rayman is fun. HE is fun. To play with, AND would be fun to play against. Rabbids too. Yes, we'd be a little annoyed, but its just the sound they make, rather than their character. If they tone down how they shout, everyone would warm up to them.

If we think like this, we can potentially see who has the most LIKELY chance of getting in, EVEN if they fit ALL of the requirements.

I think I have a picture too. Its somewhere around it, but it should give us an idea if Shantae fits the deal. I'll come back with an edit if I find it.

EDIT:
See, this is why I'm thinking the Hudson Soft mascot, if anybody, would actually be Master Higgins (Mr. Hudson Soft himself) or Bonk. Both are fun to play with, to various degrees, have their own flaws, yet that makes them all the more likely for players to master with.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I assume Skullkid is in Breath of the Wild.
He's not.

Also, Sakurai is a developer that can see potential in a Laughing Dog from the NES era, a literal toy (R.O.B.) and Wii Fit Trainer. I wouldn't put too much stock into whether or not a character feels innately fun. Especially since Sakurai's opinion on the matter could be radically different from anyone else's. After all, fun is a subjective experience.

Shantae has the potential to sell herself as a character and I would certainly consider it a point in her favor. However, any character that meets Sakurai's criteria is on the table, regardless of whether or not you can conceive of them as "fun".

zferolie

Smash Hero

EDIT:
SKullkid was only in Majora's mask. And where is that image from?

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling a lot of haters will be on suicide watch the minute Shantae gets revealed. :4pacman:
Yah need to chill.
It's common slang.
Don't need that I don't think.

I'm not all that interested in indulging in the "hater tears" if she were to get in.
Yeah, just be nice to people.

Sadly that's just how it is on the internet, some people you just can't reason with, they'll do the online equivalent of plugging their ears going "lalala I can't hear you!"

Honestly the people who bag on Shantae and use Shovel Knight as a reason don't strike me as actual Shovel Knight fans. I mean if you really liked that character, why would you put down another character and their fans? Isn't Shovel Knight supposed to be an embodiment of chivalry and goodness? Seems antithetical to me.
Most fans I think are playing shovel knight and enjoying games where he cameos.
I'd like to think upholding shovelry is a common ideal.

Hey guys: I don't usually ask stuff like this and I haven't done it on here before until now, but how have you guys thought of me as the thread owner? I do admit to being inactive sometimes mainly due to my occasional bouts of laziness or being genuinely busy, but I always try my best to be the best thread owner I can be, especially in light of Ultimate. And from that, I intend on continuing to be here beyond December and/or Shantae gets confirmed.

Thought I'd ask either way as feedback never hurts. :)
Somehow it seems appropriate for the leader to make their rare, but dignified appearance.

I'm curious.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
but it seems Skullkid is the most favorite
Just currently a favorite antagonist from a very well-liked game. I'd say Midna is the probably most liked non-cyclical Zelda character.
I assume Skullkid is in Breath of the Wild. Probably.
He's not. Just the Majora's Mask item.
But lets say that Sakurai takes some of his moves from that game (or Majoras Mask is where I'm guessing he came from) and makes them into Smash Bros. Would they be any fun to play with? I honestly don't know, so someone who HAS played it, let me know.
I've played both the original and the remake and I can't say I can even think up a moveset AT ALL for him.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious.
Picture is up. Let me know if you don't see it.

He's not.

Also, Sakurai is a developer that can see potential in a Laughing Dog from the NES era, a literal toy (R.O.B.) and Wii Fit Trainer. I wouldn't put too much stock into whether or not a character feels innately fun. Especially since Sakurai's opinion on the matter could be radically different from anyone else's. After all, fun is a subjective experience.

Shantae has the potential to sell herself as a character and I would certainly consider it a point in her favor. However, any character that meets Sakurai's criteria is on the table, regardless of whether or not you can conceive of them as "fun".
Its a crazy theory. I just assume this is how Sakurai thinks, because this makes the most sense to me.

Now I could be extremely wrong, but its just a theory.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yah need to chill.
Sorry, but the thing is Shantae hate has started to seep into the general now, and it's disheartening to see. If those people could accept the inevitable and politely apologize when a potential reveal happens, that would be nice.

It's one thing for us to be sportsmanlike, they should also act as such when the time comes.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
There are going to be sore winners, especially with how the disdain for her is growing. We can sit here and claim the high-ground, but people are people and it's going to happen regardless. We can't stop either side from throwing shade at each other.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't remember. I found it a long time ago, then wiped my phone. Came across it on 4chan when I was searching for it recently.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Skull Kid is in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess, as well as the spinoff Hyrule Warriors.

(spoilers) Though, his only major role is in Majora's Mask, where he's possessed by the mask itself. Hyrule Warriors has this version of Skull Kid. It's implied he's the same Skull Kid in the three main-series games he's in; in MM he says "you smell like that boy who taught me that song in the woods" at the end of the game if you become his friend, referring to how you can teach him Saria's Song in OoT, and in TP the Skull Kid knows Saria's Song, as well as teleports around and disappears plus he has a Poe lantern, implying he could be the original Skull Kid's spirit.

He has some interesting moves in Warriors from what I've seen, and could take from the boss fight with Majora in MM as well as a couple of things from OoT and TP; he may use dark magic, Tatl & Tael (his fairy friends), and laser eyes, maybe even puppets and blow-darts, maybe he could teleport, use the ocarina, cause effects, be a trickster, whatever makes sense for his character. Him being a boss would literally make no sense, as he'd be a pain to hit unless they make him too easy, which would be lame. All Smash bosses have been huge, making them easy to hit so you can actually lower their health. The only way he would make sense as a boss is if he's in the same vein as Bowser in Subspace Emissary, in which he's more of a "challenger approaching!" LeakyPandy isn't credible, anyway, as the only thing they've gotten right was an easy prediction, the March direct's date, and they said it would have Luigi's Mansion DLC for Mario Odyssey. Skull Kid may seem insignificant, but he lucked out by having a major role in one of the most iconic games in the Zelda series, even if he's being used as a puppet by a malevolent spirit.

Now, I have no opinion on Shantae (haven't played her games), but she seems like an interesting character, with the transformations and such, and I tried her in the Smash Bros. Crusade fangame, but I don't get why a couple of yall seem to think first-parties unrelated to Shantae could hurt her chances, or even third-parties when Sakurai's team likely has a dev for each character or most of 'em since I believe I remember reading that the work on each unique fighter can take up-to a year or so.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but the thing is Shantae hate has started to seep into the general now, and it's disheartening to see. If those people could accept the inevitable and politely apologize when a potential reveal happens, that would be nice.

It's one thing for us to be sportsmanlike, they should also act as such when the time comes.
"Inevitable"? Now you're the one who's being unsportsmanlike. People don't like fanbases that are so cocksure they can't admit they could be wrong.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
There are going to be sore winners, especially with how the disdain for her is growing. We can sit here and claim the high-ground, but people are people and it's going to happen regardless. We can't stop either side from throwing shade at each other.
Change starts with you. =P

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Change starts with you. =P
We're going to get lumped in with them anyway since we usually keep to ourselves over here. We can be saints, but the vocal outbursts of "ha! suck it!" from fans aren't going to go away just because we've got halos over our heads.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"Inevitable"? Now you're the one who's being unsportsmanlike. People don't like fanbases that are so cocksure they can't admit they could be wrong.
Okay, well I'm not sure what is the right word to use instead of that, improbability?

Anyway, there is certainly what seems to be mounting evidence towards a secret Shantae reveal. Sure, there's a chance that she may not actually be revealed for the game at all and that it's purely theories, it's no big deal, I can accept that and move on.

What I wouldn't like to see though is the haters feeling justified in thinking indies don't stand a chance.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
We're going to get lumped in with them anyway since we usually keep to ourselves over here. We can be saints, but the vocal outbursts of "ha! suck it!" from fans aren't going to go away just because we've got halos over our heads.
Well, you're obviously locked into your opinion.

What I was offering was more of a suggestion. I personally wouldn't like subscribing to the "sore winner" mentality and would disassociate from it. If you feel like it's an inevitability and have resolved yourself to it then by all means.

Although, I can't say I understand your apprehension. It's not as if I'm suggesting we're literally righteous angels over here. I'm just cautioning against, to be frank, being a d***. It reflects poorly on the character and can hurt her in the long run.

That's all.

And to be clear, I'm not accusing you of any of this either.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Has anyone seen this graphic on Twitter? It basically sums up everything that we've been saying about Shantae's chances in Smash.

The Twitter user @Egderp94 posted it, although I'm not sure if they created it or not.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmO4IRmUwAAOAbG.jpg:large
Oh, ok well it's already begun huh..

well ****..... there goes several hours of work >.>
Yours is a bit different. I'm surprised you both started with the jammies mode, but I do like the image comparisons the other (egderp) has. That said, he doesn't go into poll data, so to me it's incomplete.
There's no reason we couldn't use both, especially since yours is a bit different, prettier, and will be more complete.

Hey guys: I don't usually ask stuff like this and I haven't done it on here before until now, but how have you guys thought of me as the thread owner? I do admit to being inactive sometimes mainly due to my occasional bouts of laziness or being genuinely busy, but I always try my best to be the best thread owner I can be, especially in light of Ultimate. And from that, I intend on continuing to be here beyond December and/or Shantae gets confirmed.

Thought I'd ask either way as feedback never hurts. :)
I agree with champion, I think it's kinda cool to see you pop in once in a while as a rare occasion ;p
Feel free to voice your thoughts on shantae more often too, but I say it's fine. Maybe someone can make a seperate copy of the supporters if you're still going to be away at some points. Not me though, but whoever feels like doing it ;P

I feel like the more time passes and the more people are dissing Shantae, the more fed up I see people in here and elsewhere get. I understand that all the jokes about what we'll do once she gets revealed are in good fun, but let's be more humble and mature with our reactions once she's added.

I know it may be tempting to rub it in everyone's faces, but that's really just giving them a justification to have been acting poorly in the first place. Let's all celebrate together and voice our happiness, but not in an angry, arrogant manner towards others. Kill 'em with kindness as it were.
Even though I get fed up with stuff once in a while, I think it doesn't really matter, we can't convince everyone to be more reasonable, and personally I'm not even going to bother with people being upset about her if she gets in, that's their business, and ultimately we're better off just enjoying her than caring what the others think.
At the same time, we can't control everyone, and some people (including shantae fans) might still do it and be mean in some way (whether sore or in retaliation), and it is what it is. It'll settle eventually. And I'm not even convinced there are that many who'd hate her. Just residues from bandwagons.

And about bomberman. I do agree that he's a good fit as an AT. I have good memories with bomberman, but really even if it's possible to make him into a fighter, I think he's suited for being an AT. I think Sakurai does have a sense of what would be fun to use in battle. And that doesn't always mean having a fun moveset already, he might enjoy making one for characters that dont have much, like duck hunt dog, but sometimes it might be personal choice, and I like his choices up to now, though obviously Krystal was pretty sad to see as an AT, and I hope that can still change in the future, like Ashley and some others.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Well, you're obviously locked into your opinion.
What I was offering was more of a suggestion. I personally wouldn't like subscribing to the "sore winner" mentality and would disassociate from it. If you feel like it's an inevitability and have resolved yourself to it then by all means.

Although, I can't say I understand your apprehension. It's not as if I'm suggesting we're literally righteous angels over here. I'm just cautioning against, to be frank, being a d***. It reflects poorly on the character and can hurt her in the long run.

That's all.

And to be clear, I'm not accusing of you of any of this either.
I'm not saying it's an excuse, nor am I saying it's okay just because it's inevitable. I agree with all that you have to say; my point is simply that we are going to get hit by it regardless. By all means, avoid it as much as you choose to, but don't be upset when people lump you in with other, more "enthusiastic" fans. People paint with broad brushes.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I'm not saying it's an excuse, nor am I saying it's okay just because it's inevitable. I agree with all that you have to say; my point is simply that we are going to get hit by it regardless. By all means, avoid it as much as you choose to, but don't be upset when people lump you in with other, more "enthusiastic" fans. People paint with broad brushes.
I've already paid my dues as a Geno supporter for over 12 years but thanks. xD

I agree.~

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
It's common slang/friendly ribbing. >_>
Some slang may best go the way of dinosaur. At any rate, it can easily be interpreted as unfriendly. To me it's less about being malicious and more about being...Ned Flanders.
But you will feel good about yourself. And that's what counts.

where is that image from?
Here.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/
As soon as I saw I was like "oh shoot I know where that's from".

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yeah....if Shantae does happen to get in I don’t think rubbing it in to the haters would be wise.

I understand that some of Shantae’s detractors can get a little aggressive, but her getting in in the first place should say enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Skullkid was a bit part in Ocarina of Time, followed by a stranger and kookier one in Twilight Princess.

Doesn't' change much but I like to make sure all the facts are straight.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen it posted here yet, but the ongoing fan poll for Ultimate characters on r/smashbros finally has arrived on Shantae.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9cx386/day_1434vote_using_strawpoll_randomized_smash/

She's currently losing and there's a number of petty anti-Shantae comments in the thread, so if you want to vote, the Strawpoll links are in the comments section of the post.
Direct link to the strawpoll with her: https://www.strawpoll.me/16397345/r

Even though it's just a reddit thing that probably doesn't matter, I'd appreciate you all voting to make our point across. Besides what better way to counter the vocal haters in that thread than to show our support does not give a flying **** about their negativity ;)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
So, when Shantae is announced, we should bring out our smug Shantae face.

Amazing

atleast this topic is far nicer than gamefaqs ever could be.

So can I not be considered a Fan if only recently played one of her games?

I plan to play the others but i see the appeal for having her in smash, i think she'd be really fun.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess reddit isn't the best place for her. Well, I voted, and since she's not that far off behind it could be nice to pass it on to shantae fans. dont think it matters too much tho, but maybe it's nice to show people the care too.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Amazing

atleast this topic is far nicer than gamefaqs ever could be.

So can I not be considered a Fan if only recently played one of her games?

I plan to play the others but i see the appeal for having her in smash, i think she'd be really fun.
Dude, I'm here every day and I've never beaten a single one of her games lol.
Everyone is welcome.

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
Skull Kid, as a character, wouldn't make for a good character, mainly because he seems to be very limited to what he could do even with the Majora's Mask. We simply don't know how powerful a mage he is if he didn't have the mask on.
This has never been obstacle for characters to appear. Captain Falcon had barely anything to work with from his source material, and yet they came out with a completely original moveset for the character and is now pretty synonymous when talking about Smash Bros. And like Jinx said, Sakurai has run into this time and time again, yet he makes so many characters work well.

That said, Shantae is one of those characters that they can easily pull so much from her games to make a moveset. It would make it less of a challenge for Sakurai and co., which is always a plus.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
The key word: PERSONALITY. That’s why I believe Hilda and Impa have way better odds than Skull Kid. He also doesn’t have much unique about him (Majora was the main villain, not him. Without that mask he’s just another pointless side character who can’t really do much.) In fact, Hilda does more in her game than skull kid ever did (Summon Ganon, Steal the triforce, have a misunderstood villain cliché, and shows lots of personality toward the end), and Impa is in several games, usually either as a sheikah warrior or a wise old lady, so there’s a lot to do there. Also, I should probably mention skull kid includes an entire race (I know that we’re only talking about one, but I’m including the race as a whole and I’m just gonna point out they all pretty much do the same thing, the only thing that makes ‘Skull Kid’ different is that he is controlled by the spirit of Majora, and that was only for one game + a spin-off that doesn’t really count toward the canon). This all also heavily applies to Shantae, Personality, unique moves, something she’s known for, and her franchise has no reps to worry about oversaturation.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Truth be told, I think I would be that one Shantae fan who won't shut up about her being in the roster. Hell, if anything, I'd just laugh like a maniac if she got in, just like I did when I saw Shovel Knight, Ridley, and K. Rool getting in. Yeah, SK getting in as an assist trophy is different to being fully playable, but I couldn't care because it still gave us something.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
The key word: PERSONALITY. That’s why I believe Hilda and Impa have way better odds than Skull Kid. He also doesn’t have much unique about him (Majora was the main villain, not him. Without that mask he’s just another pointless side character who can’t really do much.) In fact, Hilda does more in her game than skull kid ever did (Summon Ganon, Steal the triforce, have a misunderstood villain cliché, and shows lots of personality toward the end), and Impa is in several games, usually either as a sheikah warrior or a wise old lady, so there’s a lot to do there. Also, I should probably mention skull kid includes an entire race (I know that we’re only talking about one, but I’m including the race as a whole and I’m just gonna point out they all pretty much do the same thing, the only thing that makes ‘Skull Kid’ different is that he is controlled by the spirit of Majora, and that was only for one game + a spin-off that doesn’t really count toward the canon). This all also heavily applies to Shantae, Personality, unique moves, something she’s known for, and her franchise has no reps to worry about oversaturation.

I'm not sure how we got on the topic of Skull Kid but I don't think it's fair to say he's lacking in personality. He has an entire character arc in Majora's Mask and it's a pretty solid one imo. Also there's no point in separating the skull kid from Majora's Mask, he would obviously have the mask if he was a playable character.

Now Shantae is obviously overflowing with personality and unique abilities and everything so it's true she really will make for a fantastic Smash character

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If there’s any time then now is a good time for me to share this:
D6692D1F-3CBF-414B-B623-AB4843437486.jpeg

It honestly makes a lot of really good points, the references to Ultimate are extremely in-your-face and not subtle at all so I don’t think it’s much of a coincidence.

Take it for what you will everyone.

Top Bottom