• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae Smash Teaser?

SlyTyler

Smash Rookie
NNID
t.sherry3
3DS FC
1590-4779-5709
Personally if we had to have a character in the game that could use their hair as a weapon I would want Dixie Kong. My hopes for the DLC Ballot Winner are King K. Rool, Dixie, or Isaac. I also would prefer having Shovel Knight or Quote represent the indie side of gaming if we were to get a character from that genre.

PlasticSilver

Smash Rookie
NNID
EyelessVagabond
3DS FC
3496-9511-1528
I'd love to see the Indie games get some love. WayForward with Shantae, Yacht Club with Shovel Knight, and Nicalis with Quote?

Dude, that'd be sweet.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm very skeptical about this, considering how revealing Shantae's wardrobe is. Even Zero Suit Samus's wardrobe isn't THAT revealing.

Anyway, I'd like to at least see Wolf make the cut, especially since Smash Wii U does have the Lylat Cruise stage. Remember, Wolf has his own secret taunt for that stage in Brawl.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
much as I liked both shantae games for 3DS(waiting for the *real* wii U shantae game, not a port of the 3DS title) it'd feel very awkward seeing her in smash....

god I don't even wanna think of what will happen on miiverse with all the dirty minded children there if shantae is revealed....
I don't see how Shantae being in smash would be awkward. If it's because of her character design than it's a poor excuse because we have zero suit Samus in blue and bright orange short shorts with a curvy figure, plus the shiny tight body suit in 6 designer colors. Then there's her taunts...

Shantae belly dances but it's not a big deal at all if you've played the Shantae games or watched gameplay. Her belly dancing and her design would be pretty cool to see if translated in 3D correctly.

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
I'd prefer Shovel Knight tbh... I didn't really enjoy the Shantae games all that much. I think Shovel Knight is just so quirky and I love his concept xD

If Shantae gets in I'll try her out, might even pick up her games again for round 2.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Honestly, this isn't a teaser. Nintendo probably doesn't even have the smash ballot character decided yet. Even if they did (and if it was shantae), they wouldn't let this guy tweet about it.

I personally believe that Shantae has no chance to make it in (mainly because of how many people want the characters like Isaac and K rool).

(I personally hope that K rool makes it in, it is our finest hour after all)
They definitely would NOT let him tweet about it.

In fact, if a 3rd party like this spilled the beans on something that Nintendo was doing in this fashion, it would get him sued like nothing else...

You don't steal the big N's thunder and live to tell about it...

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
oh gosh yes
*it's not official sources*
the dream is over.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Who needs important first parties like K. Rool, Dixie, Paper Mario, Wolf, etc when you can have her!

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
It just means that it's very respectful that Shantae is listed up there on the GameStop banner with other great Nintendo franchises. The winky face after "See you in Smash" was just a pun.

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
It just means that it's very respectful that Shantae is listed up there on the GameStop banner with other great Nintendo franchises. The winky face after "See you in Smash" was just a pun.
I thought the same thing. Usually, Bozon jokes around on his Twitter account, so it can't be that big of a deal.

Who needs important first parties like K. Rool, Dixie, Paper Mario, Wolf, etc when you can have her!
Yeah, who needs important when we can have Not Important?:

Last edited:

SlyTyler

Smash Rookie
NNID
t.sherry3
3DS FC
1590-4779-5709
I'd love to see the Indie games get some love. WayForward with Shantae, Yacht Club with Shovel Knight, and Nicalis with Quote?

Dude, that'd be sweet.
Yea I just recently started getting into Indie games so now I don't mind if a character from that type of genre gets in. Shovel Knight and Cave Story have been my favorites so far, and I don't have anything against Shantae, I just haven't played any of her games to give my say on the character, I just know she is a half-genie that uses her hair to attack.

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
Didn't mean to make this post! Doggonit!

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Sakurai is really picky when it comes to third party characters, so he's not going to add some character from an indie game that most people haven't even heard of.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I would love for shantae to get in. You can tell he isn't serious by the tweet people so salty over character votes lol. People should play the games they are great.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
She would be a fantastic addition. I wish she was more popular though. I consider her a long shot but, as someone who knows her backstory and how she was created, I think she'd bring something to Smash that hasn't been added before. The gist of it is that the character was originally created in the early 90's and named after a little Middle Eastern girl in an elementary school class Bozon's wife taught. His wife was actually the one that designed the character. The original game was in development hell and borderline vaporware for years but finally came out in the early 2000s, making it one of the first major incidences where Nintendo worked with an indie developer. Nevermind Shantae's incredible moveset potential or fantastic games, I think how she came to be is enough to warrant a place for her in Smash because, from a development standpoint, it's pretty inspiring.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I don't see how Shantae being in smash would be awkward. If it's because of her character design than it's a poor excuse because we have zero suit Samus in blue and bright orange short shorts with a curvy figure, plus the shiny tight body suit in 6 designer colors. Then there's her taunts...

Shantae belly dances but it's not a big deal at all if you've played the Shantae games or watched gameplay. Her belly dancing and her design would be pretty cool to see if translated in 3D correctly.
I think he's remarking about the top, which could easily be changed with a bit of extra fabric.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
To those who are pointlessly bashing Shantae over this news post, please stop. I'm sorry, but it's just ridiculous how people are looking at this and then just saying immediately that she should not be in the game without thought. Honestly, I can understand some people saying that they don't want her in, but with actual thoughts put in their response instead of mindless thoughts being put in. Either way, I just dislike how a deserving character is getting bashed over a news post and getting unnecessary hate as a result. Besides, it is just a tweet with the creator being hopeful, and I can understand that. I have the same hope she gets in. Anyways, that's all I wanted to say.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
To those who are pointlessly bashing Shantae over this news post, please stop. I'm sorry, but it's just ridiculous how people are looking at this and then just saying immediately that she should not be in the game without thought. Honestly, I can understand some people saying that they don't want her in, but with actual thoughts put in their response instead of mindless thoughts being put in. Either way, I just dislike how a deserving character is getting bashed over a news post and getting unnecessary hate as a result. Besides, it is just a tweet with the creator being hopeful, and I can understand that. I have the same hope she gets in. Anyways, that's all I wanted to say.
I think most of us are just really saying that these Indie developers shouldn't get their hopes up too high. They may end up getting dissappointed in the end again for their charcter not getting into Smash even without the ballot none were able get them in because the roster was planned from the beginning of development. Besides Sakurai is already picky and somewhat stubborn when it comes to what third parties should be in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeahhh, I don't really believe it means anything. Just Matt being very happy that his creation is getting such advertising recognition. Do I want Shantae to be in? **** yes. Do I think she has a good chance? Ehhh, not really if you compare her to other 3rd party or Indie titles.

Shovel Knight is definitely more popular than her, which I bemoan endlessly, but it's the reality of the situation. And neither really have any sort of recognition in Japan itself.

I'm glad there's recognition in general though, and I'm just hoping that Shantae will be more well-known as time goes by. She's definitely one of my favourite game characters of all time.

D

Deleted member

no just no please!!! they are way more deserving 3rd party chracters before her you cant compare megaman to shantae
There's no point making that comparison in the first place. Megaman is a well-established 3rd party character which is owned by a large corporation, and he's already in Smash Bros to begin with. Wether he deserves it more or not is the most irrelevant thing to discuss to this day.

B'sides, if anything, Shantae would be a good representative of 3rd party INDIE developers rather than the more established ones. That's the general consensus her supporters have.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This just a #-organization for people to vote Shantae in Smash Ballot.
Even Shovel Knight fit better to Smash, BUT, Shanate is from Game Boy color era indie, She really is a franchise and long story with nintendo than Shovel Knight. That why she triumph higher than our knight.

Even I want more Isaac(golden sun) and Bandana Waddle Dee.
Im not Mad is K. Rool, Shovel Knight and Shantae get in.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
no just no please!!! they are way more deserving 3rd party chracters before her you cant compare megaman to shantae
Hey, @ Geno Boost Geno Boost ! Please don't hate my mystical dear lovely, Half Genie Hero:
Xm4T6Nk Shantae's Icon.png
Shantae to be confirmed in SMASH and besides we're friends to support
l5ueA3i Geno's Icon.png
#GenoForSmash too! Everything will be perfectly A-Ok as long we don't forget and lacking about our precious favorite characters to vote for them in Super Smash Bros Franchise in T-I-M-E!

P.S:#ShantaeForSmash: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shan...sh-4-3DSWii-U-version/769600476420657?fref=nf
CCVZcuPW0AAxa_z Shantae.jpg

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
As much as I would be excited for this to happen (I could just feel drafts of it surging as I browsed the article), this barely means anything more than wishful speculah for Shantae's supporters.

All these tweets amounted to was a retweet of an existing image early in the campaign and a gracious comment about an eShop promo. None of this provides any concrete evidence for Shantae's inclusion in Smash 4. This isn't even leak material.

I'm rather disappointed that this warranted front page news.

Top Bottom