• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae Smash Teaser?

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
No, I don't mean popular. I mean, let Nintendo use its B-list franchises first. That way, said franchises can get rebooted/revived and Nintendo can make more of those games instead of another Mario game, like Kid Icarus Uprising.

Truthfully, no indie characters should get into Smash. They are a dime a dozen and most have no relation to Nintendo nor are they important to the gaming industry. Third party characters should only be for those that actually matter.
Sonic: Mario's biggest rival, the face of the console wars.
Mega Man: Arguable one of the most recognizable characters from the NES era, most games were Nintendo exclusive.
PAC-MAN: Possibly the most recognized video game character, at least in his circle form, and Miyamoto's inspiration.
Snake: The odd man out, only in due to Sakurai bias.

When Shantae becomes as recognizable as Sonic the Hedgehog and PAC-MAN, then maybe you can convince me she should be playable in Smash.
Alrighty, I see what you mean, and that is a valid point. But there are a number of characters in Smash that aren't as recognisable as the four gaming legends. I mean, not too many people heard of Fire Emblem before Melee, and correct me if I'm wrong with this.
I can understand why indie characters should not be in Smash according to some, but something you have to remember is that Shantae has a longer amount of loyalty to Nintendo than any other indie, starting all the way back on the GBC (albeit the game was made around the GBA's beginnings).

Do I believe Shantae should be in Smash? Hell yeah, there's no better time with all the hype surrounding her. Do I believe she will get in? There's a legit possibility due to her past and present, even if it ain't as much as other characters.

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
That is so obviously him nudging at Nintendo that he would like to see it happen, not that it already has happened...

Evil Burrito

Smash Cadet
I want Isaac from Golden Sun to get in! I mean come on, he's not even an assist trophy this time around! D:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'm totally okay with Shantae. Although I'd like Quote from Cave Story, Captain Commando or Shovel Knight, she would be a solid addition representing indie characters.

Maybe her Final Smash will consist of her riding a ship and on board are some other indie characters firing cannon balls at her foes. Would be a cute treat for fans of these games.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Shantae would be a great indie character rep should Nintendo wish having an indie rep. She has history, is part of a genre that is popular with Nintendo, and she does have a moveset that fits in a Smash environment. Only problem is that many people in Japan haven't really heard of her or even people here because indie games are... Well, not the biggest thing right now and yet people praise Shovel Knight when he himself is part of the indie franchise.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
much as I liked both shantae games for 3DS(waiting for the *real* wii U shantae game, not a port of the 3DS title) it'd feel very awkward seeing her in smash....

god I don't even wanna think of what will happen on miiverse with all the dirty minded children there if shantae is revealed....
Well, I mean...it shouldn't be too bad considering Zero Suit Samus and Shulk.

link2702

Smash Champion
Well, I mean...it shouldn't be too bad considering Zero Suit Samus and Shulk.
again though, none of their movesets or personality make their few alt costumes( or in zss's case, all her costumes) that are slightly revealing seem that bad. Shantae's is a little bit different.

Granted, *IF* it was a decision between bayo and shantae, i'd take shantae easily, as she's not anywhere close to the level of bayonetta who absolutely should not be in smash, because to try and make her work would require them to strip bayo of her entire identity.

IDK....i just don't think shantae would be a very good idea to put in smash.

Last edited:

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
Wow, I never knew Matt joking around would become such a big deal. If Playtonic came out and said "Yooka and Laylee are joining Smash!", people would be fine.
Except if Bandai Namco said "We're adding two more Namco/Bandai reps into Smash! .....it's Miki and Rin from Idolmaster!" people would outbreak, and I could see why....but Shantae? Why is that such a big deal?

She originated on a Nintendo console, not to mention the second most sold Nintendo console/handheld, she has great potential for a Moveset and she's one of the most iconic Indie Videogame Characters out there.
You don't have to like Shantae, or you don't have to want her in Smash, but some of these comments have some bad arguments.

"Ugh! Indie reps are DUMB!"
"Who is this? I don't know her so she must be a sucky character from a sucky videogame!" (sucky being subjective)
I'll be honest, if it were an Indie like Meat Boy, I would've been LEGIT mad. I can understand why some people are mad because a character they don't like was "teased", but at least give a fair argument instead of something especially kiddy like "EWWWWWWW, I HATE MICHELANGELO! HE'S THE WORST NINJA TURTLE!". I have reasons why I don't want Roy in, several of them, though "oh god roy SUX Dx" isn't so reasonable.

One of the arguments I've seen the most around here is "I don't know her!". I didn't know what Fire Emblem was until Melee. I didn't know what Game and Watch was until Melee. I didn't know who Ganondorf was until Melee, either. As a matter of fact, I thought Mr. G&W, Marth, Roy and Ganondorf would be terrible. I enjoyed those characters, surprisingly. It even got me into FE and Zelda. Once in a while, I'd play Game & Watch games for a long time. Not only do new characters in Smash introduce you to different playstyles, but sometimes even new games.

If I didn't know Shulk before Smash, I'd probably try out Xenoblade, even though I did start playing that game since it came out in the U.S. Try some new things, even new characters. Characters from existing series are still welcome and will introduce new movesets, but that won't stop new representatives. In the end, you can still hate Shantae, just for a fair reason. At least try Shantae if you haven't and if you have the time. I think (not know) you will enjoy it.

p.s. sorry for this long wall of text :sick:

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
IMO WayForward is just riding the Smash hype train and this means literally nothing at all.

But I tend to cave to peer pressure whenever the community gets overexcited post-Gematsu, so I guess I'll add Shantae to the list of characters I'll prep for just in case.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I FORGET TO GET EVERY TIME IM AT A FAST FOOD PLACE? STRAWS.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
That tweet had NOTHING to do with Smash.
Your article is bad and you should feel bad.
first of all, futurama reference lol
second of all, i think takamaru would be great for sm4sh, but the problem is that he is already an assist trophy.

Haki

Smash Rookie
NNID
hakidesu
3DS FC
3239-5816-4737
I'd be open to Shantae in Smash. (I kinda already voted though...)

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I'm voting for Shantae, the game was enjoyable and I like her character. I'd vote for her or Knuckle Joe. But I'm biased and I should feel biased.

TheBeatles

Smash Rookie
Wow, I never knew Matt joking around would become such a big deal. If Playtonic came out and said "Yooka and Laylee are joining Smash!", people would be fine.
Except if Bandai Namco said "We're adding two more Namco/Bandai reps into Smash! .....it's Miki and Rin from Idolmaster!" people would outbreak, and I could see why....but Shantae? Why is that such a big deal?

She originated on a Nintendo console, not to mention the second most sold Nintendo console/handheld, she has great potential for a Moveset and she's one of the most iconic Indie Videogame Characters out there.
You don't have to like Shantae, or you don't have to want her in Smash, but some of these comments have some bad arguments.

"Ugh! Indie reps are DUMB!"
"Who is this? I don't know her so she must be a sucky character from a sucky videogame!" (sucky being subjective)
I'll be honest, if it were an Indie like Meat Boy, I would've been LEGIT mad. I can understand why some people are mad because a character they don't like was "teased", but at least give a fair argument instead of something especially kiddy like "EWWWWWWW, I HATE MICHELANGELO! HE'S THE WORST NINJA TURTLE!". I have reasons why I don't want Roy in, several of them, though "oh god roy SUX Dx" isn't so reasonable.

One of the arguments I've seen the most around here is "I don't know her!". I didn't know what Fire Emblem was until Melee. I didn't know what Game and Watch was until Melee. I didn't know who Ganondorf was until Melee, either. As a matter of fact, I thought Mr. G&W, Marth, Roy and Ganondorf would be terrible. I enjoyed those characters, surprisingly. It even got me into FE and Zelda. Once in a while, I'd play Game & Watch games for a long time. Not only do new characters in Smash introduce you to different playstyles, but sometimes even new games.

If I didn't know Shulk before Smash, I'd probably try out Xenoblade, even though I did start playing that game since it came out in the U.S. Try some new things, even new characters. Characters from existing series are still welcome and will introduce new movesets, but that won't stop new representatives. In the end, you can still hate Shantae, just for a fair reason. At least try Shantae if you haven't and if you have the time. I think (not know) you will enjoy it.

p.s. sorry for this long wall of text :sick:
There's a huge difference between the first party characters and Shantae. You could replace Shantae with any other character--people wouldn't know them, and yet putting them would let more people know them!

I'm sorry, but Shantae needs to do much more to get into Smash.

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
There's a huge difference between the first party characters and Shantae. You could replace Shantae with any other character--people wouldn't know them, and yet putting them would let more people know them!

I'm sorry, but Shantae needs to do much more to get into Smash.
Fair point. Though, "putting them would let more people know them"; Couldn't that apply to Shantae? A lot of people I know don't know Shantae.

"I'm sorry," What is there to be sorry about? You made a fairly good point and maybe there is more requirements to meet before she appears in Smash Bros. I just think people should try things before instantly dismissing/hating it.

Top Bottom