• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow Games Mafia Over: Dgames Doomed

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
oh @ Jdietz43 Jdietz43 one more thing, if you're going to make most of the roles and abilities so strongly consistent with the flavor you need to be consistent throughout. Otherwise it reads like a fakeclaim and isn't fair to the player.

Similarly gheb should've had a fakeclaim that worked better with starting in a neighborhood with a wizard.

Recognizing a poor claim via flavor is one thing, but that should be the player's fault, not the mod's decision.

Not as bad as death note mafia's example but still.
In this case it was intentional, because you weren't actually supposed to "be here" in a flavor sense, and there were enough claim shenanigans to work with. The intent was you'd realize that bulletproof is claimable and so is one-shot vig and after that it was up to your flavor skills. The roles I gave for fakeclaims I tried to make varied enough to give wiggleroom without hand feeding. (Ironically people were willing to believe Obama being bulletproof until you fed Kantrip to the wolves.)

Gheb on the other hand could never have a fakeclaim that worked because his slot chooses the player to be paired with, but the wizard was not locked to being whoever he picked in this case. I had considered that being the case at first but it seemed mildly unfair to do considering the role would behoove mafia picking a player who the mafia thinks makes poor use of outside communication/is manipulable. It just happened to be that role that RNG picked anyway for Maven.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In future games they'll likely be directly as consistent as the Town though unless I intentionally choose it to be a weakness again.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
In this case it was intentional, because you weren't actually supposed to "be here" in a flavor sense, and there were enough claim shenanigans to work with. The intent was you'd realize that bulletproof is claimable and so is one-shot vig and after that it was up to your flavor skills.

Gheb on the other hand could never have a fakeclaim that worked because his slot chooses the player to be paired with, but the wizard was not locked to being whoever he picked in this case. I had considered that being the case at first but it seemed mildly unfair to do considering the role would behoove mafia picking a player who the mafia thinks makes poor use of outside communication/is manipulable. It just happened to be that role that RNG picked anyway for Maven.
The thing is, the rest of his claim didn't fit masonry either. It was just obscenely bad luck that he also got picked for a the permanent masonry with gheb.

In that case I'd make the masonry clearly a one way thing where the other is in it by the power of one (charlie was good for that due to the inter-reality shennaigins he was subjected to in 2 iirc), don't make it the power of both masons. It's just too damn obvious that at least one is mafia if it's mutual and at least one of the other masonry is flipped/cleared.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I straight up told Gheb there would be no flavor reason for him to have a convo, and it was up to him to play it off however he liked. It was up to him to decide he'd claim credit or non-credit for it. In my mind that made it more versatile because mafia could decide their preferred framing to work with.

Whether that was actually true that it was more powerful that way I'm not sure, but that's how I saw it when creating the role.

Maven89

Smash Master
I don't think my flavor was that off, my point with Kantrip's claim was he never explained how any of those things made him bulletproof, not that the guy wasn't bulletproof in the films. I don't expect flavor to match 100% all the time, I mean you can just think about making a game and realize that's probably not going to happen

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I straight up told Gheb there would be no flavor reason for him to have a convo, and it was up to him to play it off however he liked. It was up to him to decide he'd claim credit or non-credit for it. In my mind that made it more versatile because mafia could decide their preferred framing to work with.

Whether that was actually true that it was more powerful that way I'm not sure, but that's how I saw it when creating the role.
Talking bout maven not gheb here lol

Top Bottom