• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow Games Mafia Over: Dgames Doomed

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
oh, really? I guess I tend to do that when a deadline comes up, yeah.
i think that was more me being worried about a no lynch though..

Lol for what it's worth trying to be as nice as possible. Only other option is report.
I'M SORRY BUT.. I really think both of you could have handled that situation better. It honestly takes two to argue, and if you think Kary's actions are reportable, you might wanna consider how you might be at fault as well. I think if either of you had backed down or acted more calmly, the argument could have ended a lot sooner. AND admittedly, I skimmed over those arguments, but I don't see a reason for it to have gone on for that long if Kary is the only one to blame. you said Kary was not being confrontational, but was FLAMING, HOWEVER in REALITY, that was a very long confrontation between the two of you. I can honestly see why you're irritated, but you can't throw all the blame on Kary, even if they did start it. (I HONESTLY CAN't REMEMBER WHO STARTED IT, BUT THE POINT STANDS.)

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
AND THAT'S NORMAL I GUESS. I mean, the ability to quickly end an argument is not one that comes naturally to many people. Admittedly, I'm still dragging this ultimate noobtown example business on, as I still believe it is the STRETCHIEST STRETCH OF ALL TIME. Showing one or two signs of noobyness doesn't make me the ultimate example. Can you really even say it makes me a good example at all?
:069::069::069:

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
IN FACT, spending too long (IN THIS CASE, I THINK IT WAS LIKE A COUPLE OF REAL LIFE WEEKS) on one argument was the reason I got rekt in my first game as town, so I'm extremely capable of dragging an argument on.

Last edited:

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME BY THE WAY, J. The flavor was super unique, and whether or not the game was balanced, the setup got us into some really interesting situations. Having 3 fake vigs was especially memorable, and it added a lot of rad hysteria to the game.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Haha, that was more referencing your "call me noobtown again..." post as a joke and an excuse to illustrate to you that just because I was scum didn't necessarily make the reasoning I provided for my actions scummy. Actually I hope I'd pick up on a lot of the stuff half as fast as town.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
i think that was more me being worried about a no lynch though..
Nah you were switching between worrying about a no lynch and trying to get what you viewed as the best possible lynch. And I mean it's good to consider it but difficult to get others to follow when you're not following through. Just a consideration for the future (and for reference no lynch worry was the better choice there :p).

I'M SORRY BUT.. I really think both of you could have handled that situation better. It honestly takes two to argue, and if you think Kary's actions are reportable, you might wanna consider how you might be at fault as well. I think if either of you had backed down or acted more calmly, the argument could have ended a lot sooner. AND admittedly, I skimmed over those arguments, but I don't see a reason for it to have gone on for that long if Kary is the only one to blame. you said Kary was not being confrontational, but was FLAMING, HOWEVER in REALITY, that was a very long confrontation between the two of you. I can honestly see why you're irritated, but you can't throw all the blame on Kary, even if they did start it. (I HONESTLY CAN't REMEMBER WHO STARTED IT, BUT THE POINT STANDS.)
Are you poopooing argument and confrontation in mafia?

That means I can't lynch somebody who has a toxic temper, because I'd be responsible for them going off.

No Zalak, for the game of mafia to work each person needs to be entirely responsible for keeping their conduct within the site rules. I could've backed off, but to back off just because a player has a toxic temper, that literally makes the game unplayable, no lynches would ever be reached.

No, each person is totally responsible for their own conduct.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Why wouldn't it? Rb should resolve before anything else in nar
look what happened here. RBer was on kary the entire time. the scenario where RBer is on VBer all day is statistically unlikely to happen unless there's something i don't know about the VBer being obvious. I AINT TRYNA BE THAT GUY BUT I GOTTA BE THAT GUY

like, RBer is great, but town has more opportunities to **** the bed than scum does here. god i could write an entire EE wall about it but my little muppet hands can only move so fast, RIP. if the better players play the PRs correctly then yeah things may work out if they have incredible reads but NO ORBO, JUST NO. also @ adumbrodeus adumbrodeus I SEE YOU SIDING WITH ORBO WITH DAT LIKE, screw you brah

(i'm also salty that i was hella busy and couldn't contribute much this game, RIParoni)

maybe i'm just wrong and idk what i'm talking about. from a balance perspective i think it's wonky but maybe i'm totally wrong.

i'm gonna go watch muppets

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I'm not factoring in what happened once they were rolled put to people
Just in that theoretical situation rber wins over vber

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Naaaaaah he a as just right on resolve order. Unsure about overall power though, rb and vig meant a lot of night power for town.

god that ending has me so sad

why did the voteblocker have to be perma

i feel like i was watching an amazing comedy after soup underwent probably the worst town play i have literally ever seen in my entire life

and then all of a sudden there was a glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel; kary embodying all that is angelic and heavenly shot down the australian dreadlord himself after having voted for maven the previous day phase

and then we get ********** the **** out by a perma voteblocker

WHY

now I'M going to go live in a dumpster and find self-validation and self love
I love you bardull, you don't happen to be in the market for a new so? ;)

Last edited:

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Nah you were switching between worrying about a no lynch and trying to get what you viewed as the best possible lynch. And I mean it's good to consider it but difficult to get others to follow when you're not following through. Just a consideration for the future (and for reference no lynch worry was the better choice there :p).
That's highly subjective. If you ask me, when you consider the person who instigated the vote wagon to be highly scummy, and you consider the person being voted to be highly town, a no lynch is easily the better option, which is why I UNVOTED... when it was too late. Sure, lynching is the town's only weapon against the mafia, but when the person we're lynching has zero connection to anyone, what do we really learn? You were the only one with any kind of connection to BarD at that point, and knowing his alignment doesn't change the circumstances of your push for his lynch.

Are you poopooing argument and confrontation in mafia?

That means I can't lynch somebody who has a toxic temper, because I'd be responsible for them going off.

No Zalak, for the game of mafia to work each person needs to be entirely responsible for keeping their conduct within the site rules. I could've backed off, but to back off just because a player has a toxic temper, that literally makes the game unplayable, no lynches would ever be reached.

No, each person is totally responsible for their own conduct.
MAN, you know I don't have a problem with you and Kary actually talking about the game, my problem is when Kary attacks you personally, and you retaliate. I REALLY have to apologize though, because I did not find nearly as much retaliation from you as I expected. For the most part, you were totally just playing the game, which I now realize I did not remember as well as I thought I did. At the same time though, I didn't see nearly as much flaming by Kary as I expected, and I still feel like you said some pretty unnecessary things post-game. My perception of your argument was WAY OFF though, and I apologize.

Last edited:

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Haha, that was more referencing your "call me noobtown again..." post as a joke and an excuse to illustrate to you that just because I was scum didn't necessarily make the reasoning I provided for my actions scummy. Actually I hope I'd pick up on a lot of the stuff half as fast as town.
You were acting scummy though! In fact, I think that and the BarD lynch (though the BarD lynch was really sneaky because you were able to pass it off as no-lynch fear) were your only big scum tells in the entire game. Your reasoning made sense at FIRST, but when I asked you about it, I could see that you were getting confrontational instead of cooperating and trying to get info on me, a player whom you did not know a lot about at the time.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's highly subjective. If you ask me, when you consider the person who instigated the vote wagon to be highly scummy, and you consider the person being voted to be highly town, a no lynch is easily the better option, which is why I UNVOTED... when it was too late. Sure, lynching is the town's only weapon against the mafia, but when the person we're lynching has zero connection to anyone, what do we really learn? You were the only one with any kind of connection to BarD at that point, and knowing his alignment doesn't change the circumstances of your push for his lynch.
Unless its mod confirmed town or a strong pr, lynching at odd player numbers is always a mathematical advantage. You're 100% wrong on this and its a lesson I learned well in code grass mafia (probably my second game here).

MAN, you know I don't have a problem with you and Kary actually talking about the game, my problem is when Kary attacks you personally, and you retaliate. I REALLY have to apologize though, because I did not find nearly as much retaliation from you as I expected. For the most part, you were totally just playing the game, which I now realize I did not remember as well as I thought I did. At the same time though, I didn't see nearly as much flaming by Kary as I expected, and I still feel like you said some pretty unnecessary things post-game. My perception of your argument was WAY OFF though, and I apologize.
:p its OK I understand, easy to do that when you're fixated on scum, correct or not.

You were acting scummy though! In fact, I think that and the BarD lynch (though the BarD lynch was pretty sneaky because you were able to pass it off as no-lynch fear) were your only big scum tells in the entire game. Your reasoning made sense at FIRST, but when I asked you about it, I could see that you were getting confrontational instead of cooperating and trying to get info on me, a player whom you did not know a lot about at the time.
Nah. People sleep on strong townreads.

And again you're 100% wrong there, you're wrong on the theory and wrong that I'd ever make a different decision d1 with an inactive town. From my view that was a 100% protown play I did for the mask with 0 scum benefit.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Unless its mod confirmed town or a strong pr, lynching at odd player numbers is always a mathematical advantage. You're 100% wrong on this and its a lesson I learned well in code grass mafia (probably my second game here).
math.... isn't everything :060: certain lynches are more revealing than others. and yeah, i get that it was the mathematically correct thing to do, but I had a gut feeling that we were making a terrible mistake. From what little BarD play I had seen, I got the feeling that people would be quickly town-reading him if he survived until the next day.

Nah. People sleep on strong townreads.

And again you're 100% wrong there, you're wrong on the theory and wrong that I'd ever make a different decision d1 with an inactive town. From my view that was a 100% protown play I did for the mask with 0 scum benefit.
Perhaps I have explained myself incorrectly. I am not saying that town-reading me early on was scummy, I'm saying that your actions afterwards were scummy. Instead of trying to explain why it was important to town-read me early and move on, you did the opposite and got into a drawn-out argument on why I MUST have been town. town!Adum was initially concerned with efficiency, but his play didn't support it at all, and if he was going to spend so much time on me, he might as well have listened to what the others were saying.

I'M NOT TRYING TO DISS ON YOUR PERFORMANCE THOUGH. You were EXCEPTIONALLY sneaky. I'm just trying to tell you that my reasons for being suspicious of you were 100% valid.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Just think about what would have happened kf we didn't lymch bardull...
Youuave no flip to judge adum on
And bardulls input directly changes the way the rest of the game woth no way of telling how.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
math.... isn't everything :060: certain lynches are more revealing than others. and yeah, i get that it was the mathematically correct thing to do, but I had a gut feeling that we were making a terrible mistake. From what little BarD play I had seen, I got the feeling that people would be quickly town-reading him if he survived until the next day.
You're right, not all lynches are equal.

But if town makes a kill there's chance that it's scum, whereas if scum gets to make a kill instead then there's 0% chance, and unless you're depending on a vig or sk not making the kill means gifting it to scum.

Don't look at it in postscript as "we lynched a townie", look at is as "that's one less potential scumbag". The point of choosing scummier players is increasing the odds of getting scumbags.

If "bardull isn't scum" is the only absolute information town gets from that lynch it was still well worth it. I've made that decision before.

Perhaps I have explained myself incorrectly. I am not saying that town-reading me early on was scummy, I'm saying that your actions afterwards were scummy. Instead of trying to explain why it was important to town-read me early and move on, you did the opposite and got into a drawn-out argument on why I MUST have been town. town!Adum was initially concerned with efficiency, but his play didn't support it at all, and if he was going to spend so much time on me, he might as well have listened to what the others were saying.

I'M NOT TRYING TO DISS ON YOUR PERFORMANCE THOUGH. You were EXCEPTIONALLY sneaky. I'm just trying to tell you that my reasons for being suspicious of you were 100% valid.

Ah.

You are correct in that getting into an argument over it was inefficient, but you neglect to account for my inherent stubbornness and pride. I feel bad in saying this, but I have done that sort of thing as town before. A number of times :(. It's bad habit I need to excise at least in game.

You have no idea how bad it makes me feel that a brand new player called me out on my big systematic weakness in play and I really didn't think about it before, I served myself a gigantic slice of humble pie that day. For theater should've made a bigger deal though but I was actually too embarrassed to use it properly.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Sorry I ended up needing a replacement without any warning, some stuff happened and I couldn't post.
It seems I wasn't the only one who went somewhat inactive during the game.

Also @ Jdietz43 Jdietz43 for best game mod

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Aw, is everything ok jay?

I'm also sorta worried about gorf, he doesn't usually disappear like this.

Oh and a self-observation, I made a lot of mechanical mistakes this game, missing context, voting totals, etc during initial reads. I attribute this to rust.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Yeah. I had some stuff going on, but it's all clear now. I regret I didn't get to play out this game( setup looks cool ) and with several dGames bigwigs in it too.

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
look what happened here. RBer was on kary the entire time. the scenario where RBer is on VBer all day is statistically unlikely to happen unless there's something i don't know about the VBer being obvious. I AINT TRYNA BE THAT GUY BUT I GOTTA BE THAT GUY

like, RBer is great, but town has more opportunities to **** the bed than scum does here. god i could write an entire EE wall about it but my little muppet hands can only move so fast, RIP. if the better players play the PRs correctly then yeah things may work out if they have incredible reads but NO ORBO, JUST NO. also @ adumbrodeus adumbrodeus I SEE YOU SIDING WITH ORBO WITH DAT LIKE, screw you brah

(i'm also salty that i was hella busy and couldn't contribute much this game, RIParoni)

maybe i'm just wrong and idk what i'm talking about. from a balance perspective i think it's wonky but maybe i'm totally wrong.

i'm gonna go watch muppets
You'll have to remember that you had an entirely extra slot that Town normally wouldn't get in a typical 13 man setup versus a mafia whose strongest power was confusion and a VB that is pretty much untenable to use until endgame when confusion should have been overcome by a competent town, or sunk already if not.

In this case your extra slot was absorbed by a modkill which would have sunk the game for town immediately in a regular setup. But you lost 6 townies versus one mafia member before the VB was checkmate.

Yes, this setup gave town the tools to hang themselves purposefully, but it also gave them ample opportunity to sort it out between three convo abilities and a track roleblock combo. In this case Soup was a dum dum and killed himself as tracker for no reason. But there should have beenenough wiggle room to navigate.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
We can has scumchat
You can has

http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/7yWLf3BtcGhj

That feel when you realize this setup can literally end in a stalemate. Town has a roleblocker and scum has a voteblocker. :facepalm:
Roleblocker trumps voteblocker, it would stop both the voteblock and the kill, so no.

god that ending has me so sad

why did the voteblocker have to be perma
Because the restriction on it was -6 to charisma, you'll see when I can get role PM's up. For the record it was only used once, so it would have been the same whether it was 1 shot or no.

In the future I don't plan to use voteblockers fyi. I don't like how this one ended either.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh ya I forgot to mention this but the restriction for my power made effective defense and effective town control ridiculously difficult, especially with a vig in play. I couldn't do this the day before due to that issue.

And technically it was the double use that made what I did possible.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh ya I forgot to mention this but the restriction for my power made effective defense and effective town control ridiculously difficult, especially with a vig in play. I couldn't do this the day before due to that issue.

And technically it was the double use that made what I did possible.
Oh, yeah in that case indeed it was.

I was thinking of the initial checkmate possibility where you dropped the spaghetti on reading the full restriction, which would've been a one use KO after the Zalak vig.

Either way, I don't think I'll be including them again this way. This game was a really good teacher to me of what I can and can't do as a mod setup wise, as technically speaking this is only my second game running without a co-mod for the setup.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There were a lot of cool things here, but a few design choices which didn't necessarily make it unbalanced made the game seem torturous. The activity restrictions on myself and gheb were big ones as was the choice of including a voteblocker.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Town Role PMs

[collapse=FML]

Hello, and welcome to Filmcow Mafia!

You are Detective Heart of America, One-Shot Vigilante

YEAAAH America! You love America! Why... if anything were to happen to poor, sweet America... well you're just not sure you could live with yourself! What's that? The chief is calling? And America is in trouble!? OH NO.

Abilities:

2nd Amendment: As a true-blooded American it's your God-given right to wave a gun around and occasionally use it; but probably only once before you go to jail or something. Once, during the night phase, you may PM me to visit a player of your choice and kill them.

The Patriot Act: You love America more than anyone, and as such you're the perfect candidate to judge whether others have America's best interests at heart. Once per night you may PM me to visit a player of your choice and determine whether they're guilty of not loving America as much as you do. They physically can't. No one loves America as much as you do! But you can still visit them if you want. (MOD NOTE: Yes, this is literally informed Paranoid Cop to make that perfectly clear. Everybody is guilty of not loving America as much as you.)

Win Condition:

You are town aligned and win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

[/collapse]
Role information not in PM: The vig shot here is fake.

[collapse=Kary]

You are Zulway: God of Mercy, One-Shot Vigilante

You are Zulway: God of Mercy. Your Twelve Tenets of Mercy are unbreakable; the punishment, death. There are currently some out there who would defy your Tenets of Mercy. Prepare them for Destruction.

Abilities:

Prepare for Destruction: As Zulway: God of Mercy, you have unimaginable powers of Mercy as long as someone has broken one of your Tenets thereof; and truly, they are easy to break. Once, during the night phase, you may PM me to visit a player of your choice and kill them.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]
Role info not in PM: Obtains a second vig shot after the first has been used (in order to make the worst case for scum one day phase better than having two real one-shot vigs).

[collapse=Gorf]

You are Paul the Llama, Town Neighbor

It's not an easy life being a Llama with Hat(s), no, not even close. You're just out here trying to live your life like a normal Llama, but this guy can't even go one day without causing some kind of genocide. Still, you're stuck with him for some unexplained reason, so you might as well make the most of it.

Abilities:

Caaaaaaaarrrllll!: You swear you can't leave Carl alone for a second. At any point in time you may communicate freely with Playername: Carl the Llama. A Smashboards conversation will be created for you, but you may contact them in any other way about mafia at any time providing you are both still alive.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

[collapse=Jexs]

You are Carl the Llama, Town One-Shot Vig

For some reason whenever something goes wrong in your everyday life, someone always blames you for it. You just try to go about your day doing normal activities like going to the store, committing double homicide, and cleaning out the garage; but every time you do Paul is right there acting like you're the bad guy for some reason. It's not like you can satisfy your craving for human hands without taking some hands after all.

Abilities:

Dangerous Sociopath With a Long History of Violence: Okay you admit, maybe a few of those things you get blamed for are your fault. But you can't just develop these kind of people skills overnight you know. Once, during the night phase, you may PM me to visit a player of your choice and kill them.

Why, Whatever Do You Mean: At any point in time you may communicate freely with Playername: Paul the Llama. A Smashboards conversation will be created for you, but you may contact them in any other way about mafia at any time providing you are both still alive.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]
Info not in role PM: Vig shot is fake. Receives a second fake shot after using the first.

[collapse=DSH]

You are Depressed Whale, Town One-Shot Vig

Gotcha, this was a sting! Yeah that's right, you weren't depressed at all. Heck you weren't even a robber. That was a ruse.

It's time to clean up this town from the inside out.

Abilities:

Internal Affairs Officer Investigating Undercover Corruption: You just never know who's a bad cop on the beat anymore, it's up to you to weed them out. Once, during the night phase, you may PM me to visit a player of your choice and kill them.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]
Info not in PM: Vig shot is fake. You're a fry-cook, not a cop.

[collapse=Maven]

You are Wizard of the West, Town Apathetic Wizard

Eh.

Abilities:

Duel You, With Magic: I mean technically, you're still a wizard. Once, during the night phase (or Twilight), you may PM me the name of a player you'd like to challenge to a Wizard Duel. You and that player will gain private communication for the remainder of the night. Use it wisely.

Unforgivably Lazy: Sometimes the other wizards just reach their limits with you. If you have not used your above magic duel powers by Night 3, the Wizards of the North and South (Chosen at random from the remaining players) will call you out and force you to live up to your duties instead of catching monkeys. You will have an unsolicited 3-way private conversation with them for the remainder of the night. Once again, the targets are random.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

[collapse=Soup]

You are George the Egg Lover, Town Tracker

Man you know you can't have a goddang animal floating around the house, but if you leave it to your wife you'll never be able to cook in peace. You're sure if you give it a little effort and bring your trusty broom you can track down this godforsaken animal and shoo it out; you just hope your eggs (and roof) can take it while you're gone.

Abilities:

Where'd it Go: This animal keeps coming in your house, now you've just got to hunt it down and figure out where it came from. Once per night you may PM me with the name of a player you'd like to track to receive a message on who, if anyone, they visited that night.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

[collapse=Zalak]

You are Robot Ice-Cream Sandwich, Town Compulsive Roleblocker

Abilities:

No Escaping From Our Love (Or This Box): Love can be a scary thing; and whoever becomes the object of your love isn't going annnnyywhere. Once per night you must PM me the name of a player you would like to visit and they will be blocked from access to any and all abilities that night. This includes any forced active ability, but not passive abilities. If you do not choose a target it will be randomized. Your target will be informed they were roleblocked, but not that it was you who kept them up.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

[collapse=GiraffeLaserGun]

You are Horse Man, Vanilla Town

Abilities:

The 9/11 of Everything: What, you're not a power role? Man this sucks. Get back at everyone by declaring how much they also suck. Once, at any time, you may PM me to have a player of your choosing mod-declared the 9/11 of this game in thread. Otherwise your only abilities are your wits and your vote. Use them well!

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

[collapse=Bardull]

You are Marshmallow Person, Vanilla Town

Abilities:

Soooo Bored: You're always so bored, not getting power roles is boooring! Once per in-game day you must publicly declare at least one topic of conversation boring. If you don't, you'll just die of boredom! Otherwise your only abilities are your wits and your vote. Use them well!

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

Mafia Roles

[collapse=Kantrip]

...Is what I would normally be saying here.

However, instead...

I extend to you a true Welcome:

To "Shadow Games Mafia".

You are The Spirit of DDoS Attacks Future

"..."

-The Ghost of Christmas Future, "A Christmas Carol"

There are few people in this world who fully understand you. Words are hollow to you, indeed you rarely speak at all, letting your actions speak for you. Your methods and motives are as mysterious as your identity; perhaps in part... because you haven't even begun yet. One thing is certain though, when you do come, no amount of Cloudflare will save these lands. Your origins may be the most mysterious of the spirits three, but they are also by far the most malignant; there is no reasoning with a foe that wants nothing of it's quarry. Beware the day and steady the watchword, for without proper vigil you surely soon approach.

Abilities:

Restless Spirit of Dgames: You, as a part of the evil force driving these events, can communicate freely with your fellow Spirits: (Spirit Names here). A smashboards conversation will be created for you, but you may contact them freely in any way about mafia at any time providing all participants are still alive.

You also have access to the shared faction night-kill with the other Spirits. Each night you may decide a player to kill and who will perform it, PM me or include it in bold in your conversation to make it official. If no kill is decided upon, it will be carried out at random.

Total Blackout: Once per game during the day phase you may PM me to carry out a Distributed Denial of Service attack on the thread. As soon as I see the command issued, the thread will be closed and no one may publicly post or vote for 48 hours, as if it were night. After 48 hours have passed day phase will resume exactly as it was with a minimum of 24 hours given until deadline if it would resume with any less time allotted.

Seven Proxies Deep: It is difficult to discern the true origin of your cyber attacks. You are considered one-shot bulletproof.

Win Condition:

You are spirit aligned and win when your faction reaches majority or nothing can prevent this.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Gheb]

However, instead...

To "Shadow Games Mafia".

You are The Spirit of Real Lives' Present

"There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not here any more.”

-The Ghost of Christmas Present, "A Christmas Carol"

So busy! Busy! Busy! Busy! Always work to be done, things to do, people to see. And all of it much more important than silly games. But those Smashboarders defy you. They seek our their fun, their socializing, here. Watching smash, talking of smash, playing smash, all instead of all the other things that tie you down. And worst, yes worst of all, when they tire of that they come here to enjoy a sub-game in mafia. As if they hadn't already done enough shirking! Well you're sick of it! They're laughing it up while you're stuck at every board meeting, house-cleaning, work-doing minute around the globe! If you can't have free time to enjoy for yourself: you'll make sure no one can.

Abilities:

Restless Spirit of Dgames: You, as a part of the evil force driving these events, can communicate freely with your fellow Spirits: (Spirit Names here). A smashboards conversation will be created for you, but you may contact them freely in any way about mafia at any time providing all participants are still alive.

You also have access to the shared faction night-kill with the other Spirits. Each night you may decide a player to kill and who will perform it, PM me or include it in bold in your conversation to make it official. If no kill is decided upon, it will be carried out at random.

Familiar Face: Of all the spirits, you are by far the most inconspicuous, but also the least available. You've already found an unwitting accomplice Maven with which to work with while you're too busy to attend to things by yourself. Being who you are, they never had a hope to refuse, nor will they realize your true ill nature. After all, who among the living has no obligations, no duties to attend to? None, that you know of; you've seen to that. You may freely chat with them at any time as long as you are both still alive.

Relegated to Regularity: You aren't in full control of your daily activities anymore, you've got too much to do it all alone. You may only cast a vote if the player you chose to create a chat with has voted at least as many times as you that day. (In other words, if that player has voted twice overall, you may vote if you have also voted twice so far, but not if you have voted three times already). Any votes made outside of this stipulation will not count or appear on the vote tally. (It will be up to you to explain why if anyone notices.)

Too Much to Bear: Let's be honest, sometimes all that real life is just too much for someone. Once during the game, during the night phase, you may PM the name of a player you would like to heap extra responsibilities on. This kill will be sent in addition to the normal factional night-kill.

Win Condition:

You are spirit aligned and win when your faction reaches majority or nothing can prevent this.

[/collapse]

Info not in role PM: Extra kill ability is fake. A clue to the nature of the vigs claiming. Also was not aware of the restriction on his neighborhood before choosing an accomplice pre-game.

[collapse=Adumbrodeus]

However, instead...

To "Shadow Games Mafia".

You are The Spirit of Queues Past

"These are the shadows of the things that have been. They are what they are, do not blame me."

-The Ghost of Christmas Past, "A Christmas Carol"

One. At. A time. For you there has always been a natural order of things, a regularity that cannot be disobeyed. There is a time and a place for everyone, but not necessarily now. No, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, so to each one in turn their time. That is how it had been, that is, until you were disposed of. Cast aside to let the rabble push and jostle for position as they pleased. A disgusting cacophony of disorganization. Haven't they learned that there was only ever room for one? You will teach them yet though, that it was not yet your turn to go. If they will not have you as their master then they shall have none. Let destruction be their guide hereafter!

Abilities:

Get In Line: One may go, then the rest follow. Each night you may PM me the name of a player to visit and you will voteblock them for the following day phase. In order to use this ability however, you must wait until every other living player has posted at least once before making each post during the previous day phase. This applies to each post in turn. You may post at any time for your first post of each day. You may of course, choose to disregard this ability any particular day if you wish.

Bureaucratic Pace: Timeliness mean little to you, as long as order is achieved. Your deadline for posting before receiving a mod-vote is every 72 hours instead of 48.

Bored to Death: Once during the game, during the night phase, you may PM the name of a player you would like to force to wait for a turn that never comes, killing them. This kill will be sent in addition to the normal factional night-kill.

Win Condition:

[/collapse]

Info not in role PM: Extra kill ability is fake. A clue to the nature of the vigs claiming. Restriction on Get in Line was clarified to include prods as considered having posted after Gorf went AFK.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
There were a lot of cool things here, but a few design choices which didn't necessarily make it unbalanced made the game seem torturous. The activity restrictions on myself and gheb were big ones as was the choice of including a voteblocker.
I can agree with that criticism. I also don't think I'll be including this many false hope roles ever again either for the same reason, balanced or no. It did get people immediately hyped on the game which was hoped for, but having a fake role really did a number on some players' morale even outside of game.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I had fun with this. Especially later i to the gameonce we got it on track. Apologies gor all the he said/he said between me n rake

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Yeah night phases were good times for us. Also rake flipping onto you once we hit that last day, we were straight up. I'm jist annoyed i stuck to sucha hard read on you for so long

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
oh @ Jdietz43 Jdietz43 one more thing, if you're going to make most of the roles and abilities so strongly consistent with the flavor you need to be consistent throughout. Otherwise it reads like a fakeclaim and isn't fair to the player.

Similarly gheb should've had a fakeclaim that worked better with starting in a neighborhood with a wizard.

Recognizing a poor claim via flavor is one thing, but that should be the player's fault, not the mod's decision.

Not as bad as death note mafia's example but still.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Basically it was super flavor infused and faithfully as best we could tell.

There was a conversion mechanic for some townies, if they held a death note they too became kira (represented as kira aligned) and the justification flavor-wise was using the death note during the show. Basically it was showing the death note could corrupt them into murderers.

All well and good, but the problem was... light's father was a morbid composer. If you've seen the show you'll realize that he's literally the worse possible choice for that role.

RR claimed light's dad, morbid composer. The people who were flavor-knowledgable called "bs, inconsistent". Turns out he was telling the truth.

Top Bottom