• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Selling equipment is, ultimately, mandatory: A guide

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
^

Although I do not own a 3DS (nor see the need), is it not possible to transfer Mii fighters over to the Wii U with such equipment, or does the Wii U detect the equipment as invalid? I'm assuming transfers are read-only, similar to the Share features online.
Based on what I've read, hacked equipment pretty much has to appear legal by game standards if you want to transfer any Smash 3DS customizations onto Smash Wii U. In other words, the stat boosts and stat drops need to follow the formula calculations that are used for the random equipment drops; for an example, your equipment is only allowed to have a stat boost of +85, and a stat drop of -5, if the equipment is character-specific, and its bonus effect is either Anchor Jump, Double-Jump Drag, Antiglide, or Air Piñata.

Also, transferred customizations can't be edited, and have absolutely no effect on your Smash Wii U equipment supply and custom specials list.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Whelp, might've cut things a little closer then intended with my equipment totals... Guess it's fine now since I ground up 1000 pieces.

If y'all are wondering why there's such a strict limit on all the custom stuff that's because they don't want another Smash Stack or whatever.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The limit also makes it impossible to acquire every single kind of equipment in the game. You've got 93 bonus effects, 3 generic rarity levels, and 61 equipment types; that adds up to as many as 5,856 different equipment combinations.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Lately I have been struggling to keep my total equipment inventory under 2900 pieces. This of course hinders my chances of playing full Crazy Orders sessions since I have to manually keep track of what I am picking up in any given run. I also seem to have confirmed my theory that downloaded Mii fighters were the culprit to having a lower maximum on equipment. In a recent Crazy Orders run, I was extra careful not to pick up any treasure chests in the final battle and managed to have 2997 pieces of equipment when the run was over. This is higher than the 2991 figure I used when I originally created this topic, back when I had a few downloaded Mii fighters with equipment, which have long since been deleted.

So what does this mean? If you truly want the ability to hold 3000 pieces of equipment, do not download Mii fighters online which have any equipment. Their equipment essentially gets mixed into your total pool invisibly, but you cannot share their equipment with your other fighters. Therefore, downloaded Mii fighters with equipment are actually lowering the ceiling you can achieve by poisoning your equipment pool with what I call "invisible equipment." They never show up on the selling screens since they are in use, but you cannot de-equip them either. Thus, deleting these Mii fighters is the only solution to regaining your potential cap of 3000 pieces.

On the other hand, you can have downloaded Mii fighters created by others without equipment, and those will not interfere with the ceiling of 3000 pieces of equipment. In fact, I had a handful of such fighters when I hit 2997 just recently, so they did not interfere at all.

Bottom line? Be very frugal with the Share features online if you want the ability to hold 3000 pieces of equipment or if your inventory is so highly optimized that you cannot afford to have equipment mysteriously vanish. There are still other situations when equipment vanishes, and these glitches are still not completely ironed out yet. But as long as you disable the ability for friends to send you stuff and as long as you sparingly use Share features online and as long as you avoid undoing sales, your inventory of equipment has a significantly higher chance of staying under your control.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does transferred fighters have an impact on how much equipment can be held too? If the shared Miis are able to hinder your equipment supply, then I would think that this would apply to the transferred fighters as well.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I highly suspect the implementation is the same, though I would need someone who owns a 3DS to confirm this. Start out with no transferred fighters, see if you can reach 3000 pieces of equipment on the Wii U, then transfer just one 3DS fighter with three pieces of equipment and see if the grand total on the Wii U lowers to 2997 pieces. This should be easy enough to confirm for any 3DS owner who is willing to sacrifice a few pieces of equipment on the Wii U.

On the Wii U, I've run into scenarios where equipment consistently vanishes 32 pieces at a time, but I haven't fully tested whether undoing a sale causes this or if another Share feature (stages perhaps) online causes this.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I have both good news and bad news on the mysterious vanishing equipment glitch, though this may warrant a topic of its own.

The good news? I can confirm a very nasty bug in the game, and know how to avoid it now.

The bad news? I lost around 100 pieces of equipment to figure this out. Ouch!

Apparently the Share modes online are much more poorly coded than I realized. Just even viewing custom fighters online are enough to wipe out a huge chunk of your equipment inventory. You don't even have to download a single fighter; merely viewing them is enough. It appears that all the equipment on custom fighters online are downloaded temporarily into your inventory. When you leave, they are then deleted. Unfortunately if you always hover close to the 3000 mark, that means they will wipe out your oldest equipment. I was very close to 2900 pieces, viewed shared fighters online, and then my total dropped sharply to 2789 pieces!

Moral of the story? If you consistently struggle to keep your equipment totals from going too high and even if you are diligent about not going over the dreaded 3000 cap, stay away from the Share features online! You have been warned!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Jesus, that's nasty. Don't understand how they went from KIU to SSB4 and undid things like synthesis, warnings and notifications about the cap, and now the old stuff vanishing instead of the new being immediately converted to money.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I also noticed that when I modified my Smash 3DS game data's equipment supply, my equipment counter increased from 1610, to around 1645, and I didn't even add ANY new equipment. It's possible that turning normal equipment into bonus effect equipment is to blame, but that's a dilemma that apparently hasn't been looked at yet.

Top Bottom