• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Selling equipment is, ultimately, mandatory: A guide

David Wonn

Smash Ace
"Sell equipment? I never do that! Why should I?"

These are probably some of your initial reactions to reading such a seemingly ludicrous title. That is, until you eventually discover that the game is eliminating equipment behind your back without any warning. As it turns out, your equipment is finite. Prior estimates have shown that the game purges equipment when you approach 3000 pieces. I later found it to be 2991 to be more precise. You can check your total in Games & More - Vault - Records - Stats, and scroll almost two-thirds of the way down.

"I know, I'll just feed my inferior equipment to my Amiibos!"

Sure, that will work... for just a little while. Eventually, all your Amiibos will be maxed at level 50 with attack, defense, and speed all perfectly evened out at +40 each with three bonus effects on top of that. Then what? Collect more Amiibos? Obviously this will eventually reach its cap.

"Well, I will just ignore the problem for now."

You can go this route, at least until you get close to maxing out on equipment. Then you risk inferior equipment overwriting the good pieces you have been saving. Oops, those are gone now.

"OK, I give up. How can I stop my good equipment from vanishing forever?"

As a temporary partial solution, you can create several custom fighters for every character, equipping your must-have pieces on at least one character. You can even create extra Mii fighters for the sole purpose of storing equipment you never want to lose. But that will only go so far. There is only one other way to take control of what stays and what goes....

Start selling! If you haven't done so already, take a good look at what you have. Pick any fighter, go in and customize one, and then press the button to sell equipment. Everyone's tastes will be different on what is best to keep and what should go. If you are a collector, you probably want to have at least one of every type of equipment with bonus effects, even ones you are unlikely to use. Fine. But don't keep too much of one type.

"How much is too much to keep?"

Keep in mind that no fighter will ever hold more than three pieces of equipment at once. Therefore, try not to hold much more than three or four of the exact same name of equipment. You may want to keep extras of ones you know you like to use all the time to give a little more flexibility in customizing fighters, but just keep a bare minimum of the ones you don't think you'll be using very often.

"How will I possibly go through my entire inventory?"

Admittedly it will be a tedious process the first time you go through all your equipment. Start alphabetically and compare duplicates. Then also compare character-specific equipment with badges. Sell anything that is completely inferior to another. For instance, if you have two pieces of the same equipment, each with the same negatives, but different positives, obviously sell the one with the lower positive. If a badge has completely superior stats compared to character-specific equipment, obviously keep the badge and sell the character-specific equipment. But if the badge has inferior stats, DON'T sell it, as it is still useful for other characters.

"How can I streamline the process?"

Once you've done a full inventory sweep, equipment management becomes exponentially easier to maintain. Assuming you now have exactly what you want to keep, make note of your most recently acquired equipment by changing the sort view during the selling process. Sometimes I'll intentionally do a quick Master Orders or Trophy Rush, then acquire a weak piece of equipment as my "marker." These often sell for very few coins. This way, I know where to begin my search the next time I start purging equipment. I then go about my business acquiring equipment in other modes of play, and then when I need to purge, the process goes like the following:

Customize a fighter, start to sell equipment, sort by recently acquired, and scroll down to your "marker" piece of equipment noted previously. Now place a checkmark by that equipment and all pieces above it. Then change the sort view to alphabetical. The beauty of this technique is that it makes all of your most recent equipment stand out against your long-standing, streamlined equipment. Now all you have to do is compare the checked ones with your older stuff. If the new ones are better, uncheck them, and check the ones you want to sell; otherwise leave the checkmark on and sell the more recent stuff. If you happened to have acquired badges, then you may consider keeping them, since they may make several old pieces of equipment obsolete. Continue the process until you reach the bottom. As a tip, scrolling with left and right are faster than up and down, btw. Press start to sell all the checked items.

"Is there anything you always keep or purge?"

While this will vary from person to person, I have specific favorites. My top keepers are Home-Run Bat, First Striker, Quick Batter, Trade-Off Defender, All-Around Trade-Off, and Desperate Immortal. Why? These are the best of the best for Crazy Orders, which is where you can acquire the strongest equipment in the entire game. I only sell these if they are completely inferior to another duplicate. Also, Risky Respawner equipment generally has the highest positives with the least negatives. I keep at least the best three or four of each kind I find. Naturally Auto-Healer, Vampire, KO Healer, Critical Hitter, and some other equipment are very handy to collect.

As for what I always purge, I look for generic equipment with no added effects first. If the sum of the positive and negative effects is less than +30, I ALWAYS sell it, no questions asked. Character-specific generic equipment will generally have higher stats than badges, so the ONLY Rare Agility/Brawn/Protection Badges I ever keep are +59/-29, +60/-30, +61/-30, and +61/-31, but they are all excessively rare. Eventually I raise this threshold for certain character-specific equipment by only keeping anything that adds up to +40 or higher. That is, +79/-39 is the minimum I'll keep, while +85/-42 is the ultimate best possible.

Also Meanderer and Hasty Edge equipment generally are not any better than generic equipment without bonus effects. Therefore, they are the most useless out of all possible equipment since they already come with penalties to boot. I only keep one of each badge just for completionist stats purposes.

"What patterns can be seen in equipment?"

Obviously analyzing equipment so rigorously gives an insight into what stats are possible. On generic equipment without bonus effects, the positives will never be more than one unit higher than double the absolute value of the negative stat. On equipment with bonus effects, the negative numbers will be more intense, while equipment with penalized effects will have much less significant negatives. Use this knowledge to your advantage in determining which equipment is best to keep and which is the most expendable. It all may sound daunting and tedious now, but it will be worth it in the long run if you start going through your equipment now.

I only made it to around 900 items before I got spooked and started selling duplicates. 2,991 isn't awful - I always estimated the limit to be much lower. But I also thought the game would have the courtesy to warn you when the limit is close, or have some system of overwriting equipment that is objectively inferior. Something, anything but the way it currently works.

After selling what felt like a billion things, my gain in coins was extremely meager, but my true satisfaction lied in the shorter list of items to scroll through when customizing characters.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Selling equipment can actually be undone if you do not save when you exit the fighter you are customizing. This may be handy if you accidentally sell something unintentionally. I discovered this long after defeating all the challenges, so I would be curious if someone can test a theory of mine:

What happens if you have never earned the 300,000 gold challenge, but are getting close to that amount, sell all equipment to reach 300,000 gold, and then undo the transaction by not saving the custom fighter? Do you get credit for the challenge since you were temporarily over the magic 300,000 mark, or does the game only count it after all sales are final? I would love to know, but I definitely don't want to start the entire game over to find out. Thanks in advance to anyone who can still test this out.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Selling it all also allows you to select Random with customizations on (for assorted Customs practice) without any unwanted equipment changes.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
If you do happen to max out on equipment and acquire more, I performed several tests to confirm what actually happens:

Your newest equipment will overwrite your least recently acquired equipment, and not your least recently used equipment (which I had hoped would be the case instead.) If the latter had been the case, we would have more control over what stays and what goes, but unfortunately it is not that way. Therefore, it is a good idea once in a while to keep track of the bottom-most equipment sorted by recently acquired while you are already in the process of going through all your equipment.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Hmm, didn't know this. I have no problem selling equipment (as long as it isn't the more rare kinds). I don't use it that much, anyway (only when I want a solo mode to be easier).

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably point out that whenever you sell equipment, you MUST save the changes to your customizations, or else you'll end up selling nothing.

Also, try to sell only the equipment that doesn't have bonus effects, as they're usually more common to pick up. In fact, try going after the duplicates, and equipment that shares the same stat boost, but the stat drop is higher.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Saving changes to a custom fighter is definitely a point I should have made more clear in the initial post.

As for exact duplicates (same name and stats), I am actually more likely to save these dupes of equipment without bonus effects or with negative bonus effects, as compared to ones with positive bonus effects. With a few very situational exceptions (healing equipment perhaps), there is generally no benefit to stacking two or more of such equipment if it has a positive effect.

Examples:

1. Let's say I have two Home-Run Bat Gloves with the exact same stats, each at A+48/D-37. There is no benefit to equipping any fighter with both. Therefore I will dump one of them and only keep other Home-Run Bat Gloves with different stats for sake of tweaking stats. I would hang onto one with A+46/D-35 as an alternative since one stat goes down but the other goes up. I'd definitely dump A+47/D-37 or A+48/D-40 immediately since they are both inferior in every way to A+48/D-37.

2. Now let's assume I have three Risky Respawner Swords, each with A+70/D-7. I will definitely keep all three since they stack well, without hurting a fighter further. In fact, I commonly set up fighters this way for event matches. Of course I would dump a fourth exact duplicate.

3. Assume I have two Vintage Overalls, each at D+81/S-40. I will definitely keep both since they stack very well. In fact, this is how I set up all my fighters to tackle Classic mode at 9.0 difficulty, along with an auto-heal item. Keeping a third exact duplicate may be questionable in this scenario.

Hopefully seeing examples of numbers in action will clarify things further.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is this the case in the 3DS version too? I'm only at about 1,500 pieces of equipment in the Wii U version, but I have much more on 3DS, and I wouldn't be surprised if the game has already started deleting stuff.

nicholigh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nicholigh
Wow. great guide, stupid in-game mechanic. There should be a finite list that you can't get duplicates of. Or maybe only a total of three in case you want that piece in all three slots.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Yes, it would be nice if there were built-in game mechanics to prevent excessive duplicates. Heck, I would just be happy if they added an ability to "wrap around" to the bottom of the inventory simply by pressing Up while at the top of the list, as it worked on the stickers screens in Brawl. Speaking of which...

<getting more technical now>

Brawl's sticker system allowed for an extremely high number of duplicates due to how it was implemented. Each of the 700 stickers had a predetermined, fixed set of attribute changes along with determining which characters could use them. As a result, the game only needed 700 counters to say how many you acquired of each. Each counter likely took up two bytes (I had way more than 256 Boo stickers, so one byte wouldn't have been enough.) Therefore 1400 bytes would have been sufficient user data to store this.

The developers of Smash 4 decided for whatever reasons to abandon fixed attributes when implementing equipment. Since each of the many types of equipment now have seemingly random positives and negatives (within certain defined parameters), there would be no realistic way to implement counters (Brawl-style) of each possible permutation. So instead, we end up with a database containing almost 3000 slots (maybe a few are reserved for other reasons, leading to 2991 usable?) Each slot now contains data to say which types of equipment are in each slot (2 bytes perhaps), and an additional two bytes to say how strong the positives and negatives are, leading to possibly 12 kB or so of user data to store all this.

I am probably oversimplifying though, as there are additional data structures to say which characters are currently using each piece of equipment and which slots they occupy, etc. These are merely observations of how it might be put together, and not necessarily how it really was coded.

<end of technical observations>

I won't do any further math here in this post, but it suffices to say that there would be additional overhead to implement a duplicate checker, as much as we all wish it existed. They do need to make some changes though, for ease of managing equipment, and the "wrap-around" I mentioned earlier would be simplest to implement if any Smash developers happen to be reading this by some chance.

Last edited:

cg0rz152

Smash Rookie
I don't know why, but on my Wii U version I start to notice equipment missing around the 2,800 mark, but on my 3DS version it's definitely closer to 3,000. Are we sure both versions have the exact same limit?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Are you getting 2800 from manually counting the equipment on the selling screen (which never includes equipment in use by fighters) or is this the number you see in the Stats screen? I used to count my equipment by fives every time I pressed right on the selling screen and would also come up with the 2800 approximation, but I just want to be sure of which method you are using to come up with your estimate.

I do not own a 3DS, so someone else will have to verify the exact total there.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The stats do keep track on how much equipment you have in your possession. If you sell any equipment, the value will decrease.

cg0rz152

Smash Rookie
^

Are you getting 2800 from manually counting the equipment on the selling screen (which never includes equipment in use by fighters) or is this the number you see in the Stats screen? I used to count my equipment by fives every time I pressed right on the selling screen and would also come up with the 2800 approximation, but I just want to be sure of which method you are using to come up with your estimate.

I do not own a 3DS, so someone else will have to verify the exact total there.
The way I keep track of my equipment is through the vault under records. It always displays the true amount of equipment I have in total and it has never once reached near 3,000.

I just know that on my Wii U version whenever I reach around 2,808, I start to lose equipment. The way I found this out is I had checked my records when I was around the 2,780 mark. After doing some Amiibo farming to get about 50-80 pieces of new equipment I noticed in my records it said I only had around 2,808, which I thought seemed really off.

So to test it again I did a quick farming session and noticed the number of equipment it said I had was the same in my records. I also happened to lose some of my equipment I first got, including an auto heal badge. After that I've been keeping a close eye on my records and whenever it gets above 2,500 I start selling.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

That is very interesting that your equipment disappears at an earlier threshold, which could mean that others have varying thresholds based on another factor we haven't considered. Do you by chance have a very high amount of Mii fighters, custom stages, and/or replays? I ask because I know that custom stages and replays share the same user space, as evidenced by having to delete hundreds of replays on version 1.02 in the past just to make room for a second custom stage. Maybe too many custom fighters get in the way of equipment? I definitely want to trace the root cause of this further.

cg0rz152

Smash Rookie
^

That is very interesting that your equipment disappears at an earlier threshold, which could mean that others have varying thresholds based on another factor we haven't considered. Do you by chance have a very high amount of Mii fighters, custom stages, and/or replays? I ask because I know that custom stages and replays share the same user space, as evidenced by having to delete hundreds of replays on version 1.02 in the past just to make room for a second custom stage. Maybe too many custom fighters get in the way of equipment? I definitely want to trace the root cause of this further.
As far as Mii fighters go, I have about 52.

Total custom fighters is 154 according to my records screen. Though I don't know for sure if this would affect the data as my 3ds has the exact same amount as my Wii U version. To be honest, I was quite stumped as well as to why it was doing this, but never really gave it much thought.

I just wanted people to be aware to keep an eye on your custom equipment in case something similar happens to them. It's so annoying to lose rare equipment.

Currently I'm at 2,280 equipment, so when I reach my threshold again I'll try some more intensive testing to give some more accurate numbers.

David Wonn

Smash Ace

Total custom fighters is 154 according to my records screen. [...]
For sake of reference, (also in Vault - Records - Stats) I have 265 fighters customized but only a mere 19 Mii fighters customized. My current theory is that your Mii fighters might be competing for the same user data as your equipment. If not that, it may be custom stages (I only created one) or number of replays (I used to have well over 200 in version 1.02 but I have very few now since the Mewtwo upgrade.)

I would be curious to hear of anyone else's maximum equipment totals so we can narrow down the cause, assuming anyone wants to risk overwriting a piece of equipment or two....

cg0rz152

Smash Rookie
For sake of reference, (also in Vault - Records - Stats) I have 265 fighters customized but only a mere 19 Mii fighters customized. My current theory is that your Mii fighters might be competing for the same user data as your equipment. If not that, it may be custom stages (I only created one) or number of replays (I used to have well over 200 in version 1.02 but I have very few now since the Mewtwo upgrade.)

I would be curious to hear of anyone else's maximum equipment totals so we can narrow down the cause, assuming anyone wants to risk overwriting a piece of equipment or two....
Okay, so I did a little more testing today on maxing out my custom equipment to get a little more information.

Basically as I neared the 2,800 mark (which I used the Stats kept under Records for reference) I made a list of all the potential equipment I would lose if I ever went over the max amount. (You can do this by going to Sell Your Equipment and checking the bottom under Order Obtained.)

The method I used was amiibo farming to gain custom equipment. It's the easiest way for me to do it cause I can just have 8 of them battle it out for several hours while I'm at work or asleep.

Anyways, as I passed the 2,800 mark I frequently checked my Stats after collecting custom equipment from each amiibo. To my surprise I was exceeding my previous limit of 2,808 without losing any customs.

It was not until I reached 2,900 that I noticed some of my equipment went missing. Interestingly enough, it happened after I tried collecting from 2 amiibo figures back to back.

Lost 5 equipment:

Vintage overalls
No flinch smasher agility badge
Beam sword agility badge
Vampire sandals
All around trade off agility badge

And my Stats say I have 2,900 when I should have 2,905. So, perhaps it could be amiibo related? I'm not sure. Anyways, I'm going to be selling off some of my useless equipment before I lose something more valuable.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
If by chance it is amiibo-related, I just have four, each maxed at level 50 and +40 in each attribute, and each with three bonus effects. For now, I still lean toward our differences in number of Mii fighters being a possible contributor toward our differences in maximum equipment.

David Wonn

Smash Ace

[...]
I just thought of something today. I have a few Mii fighters I downloaded which of course cannot be edited. Together they have nine pieces of equipment, which may very well account for why my maximum is 3000 - 9 = 2991 pieces of equipment. Have you by chance downloaded several Mii fighters containing equipment? This is my newest working theory.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I have a new discovery and a warning out there to all of you who value equipment. Just now I downloaded 4 custom stages, a Mii fighter (with no equipment), and a couple replays. I watched my total equipment drop from around 2820 to 2788. I highly suspect the custom stages to be the culprit, since I have often downloaded replays without issue. Custom stages used to compete for resources with replays on version 1.01, since I used to have to delete hundreds of replays just to make one additional custom stage. Now my working theory is that downloading custom stages shares the same data with equipment ever since version 1.02.

Until Nintendo fixes this very nasty bug (or at least gives us some explanation of the vanishing equipment bug prior to 3000 pieces), I highly recommend to everyone who values equipment to turn off the ability to receive custom stages, replays, etc. from friends. Also keep downloads to a minimum on the Share channel, especially with custom stages. Keep an eye on your least recently acquired equipment by taking screen shots, and equip anything you want to keep on fighters ASAP. You will unexpectedly lose equipment, and it is no longer a matter of if, but when it will happen. This bug is quite nasty since it happens silently, so it is best to be proactive on this, or lose equipment at your own risk.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Honestly, the idea of restricting the amount of data that can be dedicated to such data on the Wii U version of the game is pretty stupid.

If we're talking kilobytes of data, there really should be no limit aside from actual physical storage, considering that the patches alone take up gigabytes of space. The 3DS version has an excuse - as the cartridge itself needs to store the data if you have a physical copy. (Especially considering that too much bloat on the Extra Data causes problems going online)

It's almost as if programmers still believe that we live in an age of single megabit memory cards.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
[...] It's almost as if programmers still believe that we live in an age of single megabit memory cards.
As a programmer, I can appreciate efficient code without the unnecessary bloat. Most likely it was the 3DS that tied their hands on going much further with the Wii U version, which is most unfortunate. I do understand why they limited equipment to 3000 pieces, since they would have to set a limit somewhere even if the 3DS did not exist. Imagine scrolling through 10,000 pieces; it would be even more painful to go through.

My main beef with the design is that they did not give us any warning when we hit 3000 pieces that equipment is going to disappear. Even worse, there are bugs in the algorithm which cause equipment to seemingly disappear even sooner for causes that aren't fully known yet. So far the only discernible pattern I notice is that they seem to vanish 32 pieces at a time, often when undoing sales or messing with Share features online. We simply have no way of knowing for sure when a purge may strike out of the blue.

I would much prefer seeing an "Inventory Full!" message when trying to acquire a 3001st piece of equipment and leave all old equipment intact. Or perhaps have equipment disappear by least recently used rather than by least recently acquired so that we could have some control over what is going on. Just about anything could be better than the current implementation....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To avoid these kinds of dilemmas, you'll just have to get rid of the inferior duplicates. One tip would be to use the following equation...

Stat boost / Stat drop = Ratio

Now, let's say that you have the following duplicates...

Holy Staff: +85 Attack, -42 Defense
Holy Staff: +85 Attack, -59 Defense
Holy Staff: +61 Attack, -30 Defense

The ratios would go as follows...

85 / 42 = 2.0238095238095238095238095238095
85 / 59 = 1.4406779661016949152542372881356
61 / 30 = 2.0333333333333333333333333333333

Now, since the +85 Attack and -59 Defense Holy Staff has a lower ratio than the +85 Attack and -42 Defense Holy Staff, the one with the stronger stat drop has to hit the bucket. The +61 Attack and -30 Defense Holy Staff would stick around though, since its ratio is a tad higher than that of the +85 Attack and -42 Defense Holy Staff.

Basically, try to only keep the weaker duplicates if their ratios are higher than your duplicate with the strongest stat boost.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

That was similar to the approach I used to use. The problem now is that my equipment is getting so highly optimized, that I seldom get equipment that supersedes my existing equipment, and I never know when the next purge may strike earlier than expected.

Rather than go by ratios, I go by raw sums of the positive with the negative, so the +61/-30 generics (outside of badges) are among the first I delete. The vast majority of my characters will not accept sums lower than +40. In fact, I acquired a fourth +85/-42 Expensive Boots a while back, meaning I have that particular equipment perfectly optimized to the maximum possible, so I actually had to sell one. I am also increasingly having to use up custom fighter slots to avoid letting some better equipment vanish.

The reason I target sums rather than ratios is because some of my builds balance all three stats. For example I have a Mii Brawler customized for Crazy Orders with the following:

+69/-39 First Striker Jacket
+60/-43 Home-Run Bat Boots
+59/-43 Quick Batter Gloves

This gives me a fighter with +16 Attack, +26 Defense, and +21 Speed, for a grand total of +63 across all three stats in addition to the three very handy effects. If I went by ratios (prior to compensating for bonus effects), these overall stats would be significantly lower. Sure, this equipment isn't yet perfect, but it is quickly approaching the max. The gloves, in fact, are just shy of the +59/-42 maximum possible.

Perhaps it is even easier to illustrate using your Rosalina example (which I don't have perfectly optimized yet, so I'll use the theoretical max.) Imagine putting together three +61/-30 generics, one of each type: Designer Pumps, Holy Staff, and Exquisite Dress. The net result would be +31 for each of Attack, Defense, and Speed. Now imagine having each at +85/-42 instead. Despite the slightly lower ratio, the overall stats would come out to +43 for each attribute. While I have not yet acquired the max possible, I do have several characters than I can optimize to +42, +43, +43 or even +41, +44, +43, etc. Needless to say, it is getting difficult to maintain without losing something good. I wish the developers would step in and give us some better options in a future update....

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should also point out that if you have any duplicate equipment with bonus effects, if you have any with a stronger stat boost than stat drop, "always" remove the duplicates that have a stronger stat drop than stat boost. For an example...

Glider Staff: +60 Attack, -42 Defense
Glider Staff: +25 Attack, -25 Defense
Glider Staff: +5 Attack, -15 Defense

The +25 Attack and -25 Defense Glider Staff, and the +5 Attack and -15 Defense Glider Staff, both have to go, because the former's ratio is 1, while the latter has a stronger stat drop than stat boost. However, some equipment bonus effects will always offer a stronger stat drop than stat boost, such as the following example...

Critical Hitter Boots: +27 Attack, -42 Defense

You can't do any better than this with the Critical Hitter equipment, since lower stat boost values will always equal a lower ratio, and the Critical Hitter equipment always subtracts 58 points from the positive value; 85-58=27.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I sure spent a lot of time cleaning up my equipment supply not too long ago. The cleaning at least lowered my equipment count down to 1098.

I had to make a Microsoft Excel table to record my equipment, so that way, I could figure out which equipment would stay, and which ones would have to go. This even went as far as cleaning up the bonus effect equipment as well.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

It is funny that you mention this, but I also keep track of much of my Smash equipment in a spreadsheet as well. I primarily do this to keep track of my best badges in every category. With 93 types of bonus effects, plus the generic badges with no bonus effects, each in three categories, it all adds up space quickly. I find it handy to be able to sort everything alphabetically or by bonus offsets, so that negative effect equipment is all clustered together while positive effect equipment is also together. I memorize my most-used equipment stats, but the spreadsheet certainly frees up the brain cells so I don't have to mentally keep track of it all.

I also try to keep track of my strongest non-badge equipment, mostly for equipment that I frequently use. Additionally I highlight perfect, maxed out equipment in one color and near-perfect equipment in another color so I can very easily see at a glance which equipment needs to be improved further and which does not. I also color text red for equipment where the negative value exceeds the positive absolutely so it can stand out as well. Doing all of this in addition to techniques described much earlier in the thread makes the manual purge process much less of a headache than it could be otherwise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I have been doing lately is whenever I find any character-specific equipment that has the same exact stat boosts and stat drops as my badges, they would hit the road.

Rare Agility Badge: +46 Speed, -23 Attack
Stylish Boots: +46 Speed, -23 Attack

The strike on the Stylish Boots example gives you an idea that I'm selling it, all because I have a Rare Agility Badge with those very same stat values, AND as a bonus, the Rare Agility Badge can be used by anyone.

Also, my equipment selling is becoming more influenced by my badge supply. For example, I have a Rare Brawn Badge with +60 Attack and -30 Defense, which has a ratio of 2. If I have "any" generic attack equipment that has a stat boost that's less than or equal to that Rare Brawn Badge, AND their ratio is less than 2, then they must hit the road; this applies to even the character-specific equipment.

Obviously, character-specific equipment with stat boost values greater than my strongest badges would stay.

Kamen Rider Blade

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2938-8476-4481
How do you folks manage to keep so many items?

I have a hard time finding equipment that will replace all my existing gear.

I usually find a piece of gear with a negative bonus effect to give it higher raw stats that I can live with and try to max out my raw stats.

That's why my custom characters can move faster, jump higher, hit harder with minor penalties.

Ergo it's hard to find replacement gear

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

If your overall equipment inventory is as good as I suspect it is, then play Crazy Orders almost exclusively. It is the only mode in the game where I can generally expect to pick up at least some better equipment in the higher turns. It is very rare (less than 10% of the time) for me to find just one better piece of equipment in any other mode of the game, including Classic at 9.0 difficulty, All-Star on hardest difficulty, Trophy Rush, Smash Tour, amiibo battles, etc.

I'm not saying it is impossible to find good stuff in the other modes, but it is almost astronomically rare in some modes (I was very surprised to pick up something worth more than 110 gold in Smash Tour once in 30,000 turns for instance.) In Crazy Orders, on the other hand, I routinely pick up several pieces of equipment worth more than 100 gold, and even among those, I often still have to sell many of them. To give you an idea of just how good Crazy Orders is, I recently sold my fourth and fifth "perfect" Expensive Boots with +85/-42 stats at 102 gold each.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's a shame that not even Crazy Orders is guaranteed to give you equipment with the bonus effects that you're looking for. Anchor Jump and Double-Jump Drag are just so rare to acquire, and yet I have better odds of getting the Critical Hitter equipment from just my amiibo alone.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

It all depends on your goals: quantity vs. quality. If your intention is to acquire multiple pieces of Critical Hitter equipment, perhaps for purposes of feeding amiibos, then certainly continue with your amiibo battles. You'll get weaker equipment there, but they're perfect for feeding amiibos. I also recommend amiibo battles for those who do not have much equipment yet overall.

In my situation, I've already given Critical Hitter to all my amiibos (plus Vampire and Auto-Heal) and their stats are evened out at +40 in each attribute, so I have them set up to my liking. My best Critical Hitter pieces of equipment at +27/-42 (maxed) and +26/-42 came from Crazy Orders, and nowhere else. At the moment I get better badges, I'll happily dump all character-specific Critical Hitter non-badges. It is the only type of equipment where the theoretical best badges are better than the best non-badges, strictly from the point of view of sums of the positives with the negatives, where I prioritize all equipment. I personally think the designers overlooked this unique quirk of Critical Hitter equipment, but I'll just capitalize on it once my badges have sums better than -16 (my current best) so that I'll only ever have to carry precisely three of such equipment, freeing up space for other goodies....

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's a shame that the only way you can modify your equipment is to go the Homebrew route, which is not an advisable thing to do. And even then, the equipment modifying tools that exist right now are not without their flaws.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

For those who attempt the Homebrew route, they are proceeding at their own risk. I prefer earning all my equipment in this game the legit way, even as random as it may be.

Just to further illustrate how much better Crazy Orders is compared to other modes for equipment quality purposes, I decided to compare apples with apples just recently. I was using Mega Man in Crazy Orders and picked up an Auto Healer Arm Cannon with +43/-45 stats. I then equipped that to my Samus, Mega Man, and Mii Gunner for Classic mode and played it on 9.0 difficulty. Upon completing that with all three characters, one of them also picked up an Auto Healer Arm Cannon, but its stats were only +10/-32, which is already worse than my +28/-31 Auto Healer Brawn Badge. Obviously I quickly sold off the useless +10/-32 version.

Despite all the inferior equipment I earned in Classic mode, it was still well worth it since one of the three characters picked up three Crazy Orders passes, so each mode does help out in its own ways, fortunately.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Homebrew stuff is for the 3DS anyway, so it's not like you're able to modify your equipment supply in Smash Wii U yet.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Although I do not own a 3DS (nor see the need), is it not possible to transfer Mii fighters over to the Wii U with such equipment, or does the Wii U detect the equipment as invalid? I'm assuming transfers are read-only, similar to the Share features online.

Top Bottom