• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bceagles

Smash Cadet
Thank you for proving Scar's point.
uhh, not really. Did you read the rest of my post?
"Who had the most fun- A or B?
Both."
That is referring to how in melee, you would lose (if you're bad) to some awesome player, and feel like crap.
In Brawl, you will almost always (unless you're horrible) get pretty close to the person who should have crushed you. You won't feel like crap. You'll want another game with the same person. Actually, what I just said may have been exaggerated- you won't always get close. Theres just less of a gap between good and great. Anyone here watch March Madness (american college hoops)? There are so many upsets- take the Clemson vs. Duke game yesterday. Do people hate March Madness because there are more upsets than NCAA Bowl Games (american college football)? No, they actually like it more.

Aesir

Smash Master
Both."
That is referring to how in melee, you would lose (if you're bad) to some awesome player, and feel like crap.
In Brawl, you will almost always (unless you're horrible) get pretty close to the person who should have crushed you. You won't feel like crap. You'll want another game with the same person. Actually, what I just said may have been exaggerated- you won't always get close. Theres just less of a gap between good and great. Anyone here watch March Madness (american college hoops)? There are so many upsets- take the Clemson vs. Duke game yesterday. Do people hate March Madness because there are more upsets than NCAA Bowl Games (american college football)? No, they actually like it more.
Upsets are nice when it's based on skill, (Mango at p3 anyone?) however when it's isn't based on skill and a game of luck upsets are frustrating.

Being beaten by a better player in melee doesn't make a truly competitive person feel like ****. They'll feel more driven to succeed. If you feel like **** then you probably shouldn't be in competitive gaming in general.

Your Basketball argument doesn't work, as basketball has a lot of strategy behind it. Where as brawl is a lot like the lottery.

Melee = Basketball

Brawl = Lottery.

If an average team ended up taking a top team it would be skilled based, they must have really earned their victory.

However if someone who's never even played the lottery won a million dollars, is it skill based? No.

Thats why you see Basketball as a competitive sport, but the lottery? Not so much.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'm going to try to respond to the best of my ability to all posts that seem to be intelligently written and haven't already been addressed. I've been getting a good bit of help (which I greatly apprecite) and was a bit upset by page 9 (holy fawken **** so many fawken *s), but the debate returned to civility so it's all good.
That I respect. Anyone can throw out their opinion, but defending it takes time and patience. Good on you.

Melee is too in depth to say how good a person is based on a few matches. I'm sure you know all the factors. Silent Wolf is probably the BEST IN THE WORLD technically, and he does well at tournaments but he's not one of the very top pros. Magus, locally, is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, experienced smashers, but I'm sure you've never heard of him.

In the end, though, we do know who is better than who. The Melee community is very tight, we all know eachother, we all know our records in tourney, we are a community. So yes, we know who is better than who, and even when people are REALLY CLOSE in overall skill, there is usually a very consistent winner.

This is because Melee allows us to see these small differences in skill. It translates them into results, honest to God it does.

The "pro Melee debaters" are generally 4 or 5 respected and knowledgeable members of the community.
I don't doubt that the people you mentioned are highly, highly skilled Melee players. Nor do I doubt the community's ability to guage their skill - based on their preformance in Melee matches over long period of times (not just a couple matches). The key word being "Melee" matches.

This being a new game, you can't say definitively that the best Melee players will be as skilled when it comes to a new game like Brawl. It seems to me that a person's level of skill at Brawl should similarly be determined by how well they preform in Brawl matches over time. And if two people are competing on an equal level, it matters not their Melee experience. They are equally skilled at Brawl. That's just how I see it.

First of all, this simply doesn't happen. This is the beauty of Melee IMO, you almost never win luckily. It's always because your level of skill is higher than the other person! I have had to argue this with non-gamers, too. They seem to think, from their limited video game experience, that anyone can win at any game, you're just pushing your fingers. It's not like a sport.

I argue that Melee is different from other video games. You need to condition your body (muscle memory) before you can even move like the others. You need this movement to increase your options and your overall speed. Then when you're playing the same game, you need experience. You cannot win without both.

My arguments for why Brawl is not as competitive lie here. I don't think Brawl has that.
I was exagerating, but I think the point is valid. If a non wavedasher could beat a Melee pro in Brawl, its because they played the better game. Nothing random or lucky about it.

Perhaps a finely honed skillset like quick reflexes will turn out to be less essential in Brawl. That doesn't make the game less competitive. Rather it simply rewards other equally valid skills like strategic thinking and ingenuity. Calculating what moves to use against an oppoent at a given time.

Maybe that kind of skill requires fewer hours than perfecting one's muscle memory. But requiring a different skill set does not make a game less competitive.

I mean that's just the difference between smart people and not so smart people. Ryoko is one of the most technical Melee players there is, he never messes up. His deal is mostly frame perfection and being one pixel away from getting hit.

He's just the kind of player who would find something like that. The people who imported Brawl aren't that way, in the Melee community at least. So I mean this point is going to show that people who are good at Smash are good at Smash. Not a point I'm trying to make, but it's there.
My point was more to show that advanced techniques are not always readily apparent - even to those whove played Melee for ages. Hense, advanced techniques could be discovered later on that we do not now know about.

Take, for instance, the new technique of "wave-hopping": http://youtube.com/watch?v=53Wix_KsK5g

This is a fine assumption to make, but it is false. Everyone has been playing every game mode, and there are lots of FFAs and teams going on due to limited supply of Brawl setups and ridiculously large demand for Brawl. I prefer items off, but people nearby are playing with items on.
Point taken. But I'm concerned that some of the ultra hardcore Melee pros are still too fixated with Melee conventions to explore the depth in alternate modes of play. Maybe I'm wrong, I think further experimentaion in modes like teams could lead to discoveries of currently unknown depth. Or not. Point being: we don't know after only a week.

I thought you said you weren't going to preach?

Well I'll let that one slide. Competitive players are competitive players, established as such by the community. If you're going to argue that the whole community is competitive by their own decree then go for it.

Anyways, I mean my buddy Chocobo came up with a C4 trick with Snake in teams. He puts it on his teammate, the teammate gives it to an enemy and then they blow him up. Again, you're working with false assumptions. Good points if your assumptions were true, but they simply aren't.
You're right. I guess that was pretty hostile. Sorry. Sometimes I just get worked up about dumb things. :dizzy:

It just rubs me the wrong way when people divide the community by saying "these people are competitive" and "these ones are not competitive." Which I don't think was your point at all. My bad.

For the first part, I don't think anyone is ever going to play Brawl for money if there is a chance that a heart drops in front of their enemy who has 100%. Items are too random and unfair. And yes, we realize how bizarre Snake is. Lots of people are playing with him, trying to figure stuff out, myself included.
Notice how I said "certain" items?

Something like a heart container requires zero skill to use. It's pure luck if it lands closer to you. Something like the Smashball, on the other hand, requires skill to obtain as players smack it around the stage.

Personally, I'm wary of any items in 1 vs 1s as they tend to distract from the gameplay rather than enhance it. But items that require skill (ie: smashballs and team healers) could potentially have place in team tourneys. Further testing is required, obviously.

Anyway, I've seem a couple videos of advanced Snake players and the techniques that are surfacing seem as complex as anything in Melee. Is it really fair to say Brawl lacks depth before we see what this characters is really capable of?

The depth I speak of MOSTLY has to do with lack of l-cancelling and hitstun on aerials. The former gets rid of too many safe approaches. Any good player realizes that you cannot approach in Brawl without being punished unless you're playing someone who isn't going to use the best strategy available.

No hitstun gimps a critical aspect of fighting games, the punishment part. This is discussed on page 6, I think, but it's important.
So making it harder to approach makes the game less competitive? I have to disagree. It could very well mean longer, more drawn out matches that reward defensive strategies over offensive, but it still requires skill. Less so in the reflexes department maybe, but more so in the strategic thinking department.

And, of couse, not everyone agrees with your analysis: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153818

Peace.

-WG

Fletch

Smash Master
Both."
Chocobo is right in that you are proving Scar's point, most people just want there to be some barrier in skill so that you can actually feel like you are getting better at the game (myself included).

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Upsets are nice when it's based on skill, (Mango at p3 anyone?) however when it's isn't based on skill and a game of luck upsets are frustrating.

Being beaten by a better player in melee doesn't make a truly competitive person feel like ****. They'll feel more driven to succeed. If you feel like **** then you probably shouldn't be in competitive gaming in general.

Your Basketball argument doesn't work, as basketball has a lot of strategy behind it. Where as brawl is a lot like the lottery.

Melee = Basketball

Brawl = Lottery.

If an average team ended up taking a top team it would be skilled based, they must have really earned their victory.

However if someone who's never even played the lottery won a million dollars, is it skill based? No.

Thats why you see Basketball as a competitive sport, but the lottery? Not so much.
Ok, Brawl =/= Lottery if you are saying this just because of tripping and camping then you are exagerating. While Brawl is still a smash game it have extremely differents phisics (dont know if it is spelled wrong) we need atleast a year, but not to find AT, but to get used to Brawl's phisics. Newbies camp because they dont know to play/are new to the game, some may do it because it seems usefull, but when people get more time with the game, they will play it better.

Brawl is not like lottery, it still takes skill.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
God I hope no one finds the snaking equivilent of Smash Bros. I'd just stop playing it like I did MK after those win at all costs shmucks ruined it.

Beat

Smash Ace
Thanks for the support. My biggest problem with bceagles is that his basis for his argument is over "fun". What he considers fun, I consider almost laughable. Sure, winning is fun, and so is close competition. But I consider improvement fun, as well. So while I never won any Melee tournaments, I enjoyed clawing my way through loser's brackets and making a name for myself as a well-rounded PA Samus. While I don't bathe in the recognition of Scar or Cactus, I can't say I didn't love Melee overall. Sure, it was frustrating seeing the same 4 characters played over and over, but that'll be Brawl soon anyway.

Once again, I digress. You didn't have fun because you sucked at Melee, bceagles, and didn't have the balls to attempt to get better. So you look at the much more shallow Brawl as a safe haven because it lacks (at least now, and probably forever) a truly competitive level, which is why this thread exists.

However, if you ever find yourself in Philly, I look forward to demolishing you in Brawl anyhow.

<3BoCo

Edit: On this whole basketball/lottery bull****...

STOP USING REAL-LIFE COMPARISONS.
Brawl is not a dinosaur. Melee isn't Adam West. Brawl is not a bakery. Melee is not a lightbulb.

They are only comparable to eachother, no other analogies truly make sense. Each time you pose another analogy you detract from the true purpose of this thread, and make me want to kick you in the face. Thank you.

Aesir

Smash Master
Ok, Brawl =/= Lottery if you are saying this just because of tripping and camping then you are exagerating. While Brawl is still a smash game it have extremely differents phisics (dont know if it is spelled wrong) we need atleast a year, but not to find AT, but to get used to Brawl's phisics. Newbies camp because they dont know to play/are new to the game, some may do it because it seems usefull, but when people get more time with the game, they will play it better.

Brawl is not like lottery, it still takes skill.
This sounds just like hopeful pleading to me, not sure if that was your intent but thats what it sounds like.

The more skilled person will not always win unless the skilled person is miles ahead of the other player.

A friend of mine play he has a better understand of the game as he actually owns it and I don't. I was a better melee player then him. (not by much but I did better against others then he did.)
Our matches are really close, usually going back and forth between winning.

This shouldn't be the case of the person is better then me which he is. theres virtually very little skill involved.

I'll conceed to the point that brawl = the lottery though.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Actually, from what I read--this entire argument as to why Brawl is less competitive than Melee is illogical and doesn't actually say anything. Its mostly been something like "Combos got nerfed, Melee's more competitive!" "It being harder to combo doesn't technically make the game less competitive, it depends how the meta game evolves." "There is less safe approach options!" "That just makes the game a little more defensive, it depends on how the meta game evolves to see if it truly makes the game less competitive" "The games slower and requires less reaction time!" "Yes and that means Brawl requires more planning and strategy." The only thing this topic has proved is that Brawl is different, something that was painfully obvious. How about we actually WAIT AND SEE HOW COMPETITIVE Brawl gets? Before we jump the gun by a year or two. Because I don't know how competitive Brawl will be, and neither does anyone else--so stop acting like this is a fact because its not.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
So where are the videos of you guys mastering brawl and all it has to offer anyway? At this point in the conversation we are approaching put up or shut up territory. If it's really as simple and formulaic as you say why don't I see you guys owning it up? Surely you don't think everyone is playing at perfection already? I mean, Forte beat Azen 3 out of 4 matches, and went undefeated for the whole tournament as far as I know, but I guess he was just REALLY lucky that way by your rational, since Brawl doesn't reflect skill. Right? Oh, and Forte uses Metaknight, who doesn't have a projectile last time I checked.

Everyone is talking in hypotheticals - this will happen...eventually, we think...probably. When you master Brawl then you can come here talking about how there isn't enough to learn, but until then it kinda starting to come off like a bunch of old melee "pros" jerking themselves off.

Beat

Smash Ace
When you master Brawl then you can come here talking about how there isn't enough to learn, but until then it kinda starting to come off like a bunch of old melee "pros" jerking themselves off.
Not having videos up doesn't mean we're not playing and winning. Also, give us a few months to be better than all the Brawl scrubs who quit when they lose at a tournament. We'll be too busy being jerked off by other people to do it ourselves.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
God I hope no one finds the snaking equivilent of Smash Bros. I'd just stop playing it like I did MK after those win at all costs shmucks ruined it.
This forum is filled with those "win at all cost schmucks."

They look for anyway possible to better themself at the game and to seperate themselfs from the "lesser" skilled players. They want the best players to come out on top and to have earned that position, not a million nobodies that could randomly beat the best players due to luck.

If you want a game where anyone can win then there is mario party.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
This forum is filled with those "win at all cost schmucks."

They look for anyway possible to better themself at the game and to seperate themselfs from the "lesser" skilled players. They want the best players to come out on top and to have earned that position, not a million nobodies that could randomly beat the best players due to luck.

If you want a game where anyone can win then there is mario party.

That's your problem, you think that without that stuff the game can't stand on it's own as fun and skillful, and you're wrong. You have no faith in the desing of the game. You think you know it better than the people who sculpted it from nothing, brought it into existence. It's the worst kind of arrogance. The better racer still wins at mario kart without snaking involved, and the better player wins at brawl without wavedashing, as all the actual evidence continues to suggest.

AngryJimmy

Smash Cadet
Both."
Well - since his point was that Melee is more competitive than Brawl by having a lower ceiling as far as technical skill goes you are kind of arguing for his point there. While you may like the fact that it's less competitive is irrelavent to the discussion at hand. Matches being closer is a result of a smaller learning curve and thus less room as far as progression is considered - meaning it's just easy to get decent in this game - because decent is at a lower skill level in Brawl than melee - Brawl seems to suffer diminishing returns as far as skill goes - the more an individual's skill increases the less effect he is going to see as far as having an advantage over other less skilled players - this is much more evident in Brawl than Melee (which seemed to have a pretty linear progression line) and even though it may make the players who lose matches feel better about themselves it implies that Brawl is indeed less competitive than Melee - which is the point of this entire thread.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
So where are the videos of you guys mastering brawl and all it has to offer anyway? At this point in the conversation we are approaching put up or shut up territory. If it's really as simple and formulaic as you say why don't I see you guys owning it up? Surely you don't think everyone is playing at perfection already? I mean, Forte beat Azen 3 out of 4 matches, and went undefeated for the whole tournament as far as I know, but I guess he was just REALLY lucky that way by your rational, since Brawl doesn't reflect skill. Right? Oh, and Forte uses Metaknight, who doesn't have a projectile last time I checked.

Everyone is talking in hypotheticals - this will happen...eventually, we think...probably. When you master Brawl then you can come here talking about how there isn't enough to learn, but until then it kinda starting to come off like a bunch of old melee "pros" jerking themselves off.
No one's claiming to have mastered Brawl.

Why don't people seem to understand that this thread has stopped being a debate about which is more competitive, and is instead trying to become a discussion on how to make Brawl a more viable tournament game?

Also, I still have yet to see a single legitimate post stating that Brawl is not competitive. The only argument has been the following:

As of right now, Brawl is less competitive than its counterpart. We know why:
1. Not enough time spent playing the game.
2. It requires a frame of thinking we have yet to discover.
3. There's currently only one truly effective tournament-level strategy (As I said, if you disagree with this, play one of the better olimar players right now.)
4. We have yet to discover game-changing ATs.

We also realize the following:
1. Brawl is still competitive.
2. Brawl is still fun.
3. Brawl is not melee.

However, a lot of the opposition right now seems to be saying the following:
1. We've discovered tons of ATs.
2. Brawl hasn't been perfected.
3. Prove you're the best before you evaluate Brawl.
4. Some people who don't camp still win sometimes.

My replies to those points:
1. None of the ATs we've discovered have changed the metagame. Their impact is pretty much nil.
2. We know. This thread's about working to evolve the game.
3. What? We can still evaluate hitstun, frames, and mathematically evaluate how it works.
4. This argument contradicts both 2 and 3.

Now can we please, as a community, agree that we realize all this, and that we should dedicate the rest of this thread to evaluating new Brawl strategies?

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
It kind of what most people say "If you suck at one thing what makes you think you going to do better in the next one?". It's the same thing here, if you already stunk at Melee meaning giving up and just throwing tantrums because you overly frustrated what makes you (the player) going to be good at Brawl as well?

It kind of shocks me about how one horde of sheep suddenly thinks "Oh this game is new we are going to better" when they already sucked in the previous one.

Kind of makes the word competition a meaningless word for this game now.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the thing is tho. what do you want to do. what CAN we do. brawl is out move on. if you want to play melee still then keep playing it. the rest will play brawl and just be mad you cant be too competitive.

Papapaint

the thing is tho. what do you want to do. what CAN we do. brawl is out move on. if you want to play melee still then keep playing it. the rest will play brawl and just be mad you cant be too competitive.
I'm just going to assume you can't read. That's the only way for me not to just lose it right now.

Seriously, Scar and I have spent this whole thread both defending ourselves, but trying to see the other side and make compromises. I'm even pro-brawl. But everyone just keeps coming in and debating the points instead of working together the way we've been trying to.

It's madness.

bceagles

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the support. My biggest problem with bceagles is that his basis for his argument is over "fun". What he considers fun, I consider almost laughable. Sure, winning is fun, and so is close competition. But I consider improvement fun, as well. So while I never won any Melee tournaments, I enjoyed clawing my way through loser's brackets and making a name for myself as a well-rounded PA Samus. While I don't bathe in the recognition of Scar or Cactus, I can't say I didn't love Melee overall. Sure, it was frustrating seeing the same 4 characters played over and over, but that'll be Brawl soon anyway.

Once again, I digress. You didn't have fun because you sucked at Melee, bceagles, and didn't have the balls to attempt to get better. So you look at the much more shallow Brawl as a safe haven because it lacks (at least now, and probably forever) a truly competitive level, which is why this thread exists.

However, if you ever find yourself in Philly, I look forward to demolishing you in Brawl anyhow.

<3BoCo

Edit: On this whole basketball/lottery bull****...

STOP USING REAL-LIFE COMPARISONS.
Brawl is not a dinosaur. Melee isn't Adam West. Brawl is not a bakery. Melee is not a lightbulb.

They are only comparable to eachother, no other analogies truly make sense. Each time you pose another analogy you detract from the true purpose of this thread, and make me want to kick you in the face. Thank you.
You're cool. Make fun of a guy you never met before by telling him that he had no fun while playing his favorite game. I bet I had more fun than you.
I didn't really read scar's full original post, so sorry if I'm proving his point. I'm just saying whats on my mind.

Papapaint

how to make Brawl a more viable tournament game?
QUOTE]

That's not going to come about through discussion. The metagame will not develop through discussion. Unless you've just discovered some difficult ATs which you wish to reveal.

EDIT: Also, I fail at quoting
Not really. Discussion is the single most important part of a metagame. If someone discovers some wonderful strategy in their basement, but doesn't share it, the blame lies in discussion. If someone thinks they have a strategy that can truly stop spammers, they can post a request for it, and someone in this thread can try it out. We can set up skype channels and play over wi-fi. We can talk about recent ATs, and how they can be used to help.

Discussion is the most important aspect of evolving a metagame.

Beat

Smash Ace
You buffoons are all missing the point of this thread. Ya keep clamorin' on about needing more time to find more ATs. Yeah, it's a new game. We understand there's a new mindset needed. Scar stated before that rather than doing dthrow>knee with Falcon, he understands you can simply airdodge after ANY move and so he waits to punish THAT instead.

Don't any of you get it? We realize that truly terrible, awful players will not win, and that the better ones will.

This is an argument over the definition of the words "competition" and "competitive"! OF COURSE THERE WILL BE COMPETITION! I will COMPETE in this game! So many vetted Melee veterans will COMPETE!

The problem is that it's not deep enough to be truly competitive. Say 40 people enter the tournament. Of course the absolute worst players there won't win, we're not sayin' they will! What we ARE sayin' is that there isn't an absolute worst or an absolute best, that who comes in dead-last and who wins will be a mess. We won't ever really be able to define the best Falco or the best Marth like we did with Melee.

No one is saying Brawl is awful! We're saying it's fun! I enjoy it! However, it's flustering to try and convey what we're learning to neanderthals like so many of you visiting this thread.

We haven't mastered it, but there is a natural skill in fighting games. Some people can just understand what to do in every situation. I've met people like them, and they're shuddering over what is going to become of the Brawl metagame.

Say "wait and see" again. I dare you, because I will wait and see. I'll wait and see the megacampers crawl out from their homes to your states, your hometowns, YOUR LIVING ROOMS, to set up a tent and camp away your 3 stocks, so that just like you did with Melee, you give up on Brawl when you realize why you're wrong.

Now, I may sound contradictory, but I assure you, I am not. They will demolish you, but they won't be able to CONSISTENTLY DEMOLISH EACH OTHER.

If you can't grasp what we're conveying, go play Subspace. It's fun.

<3BoCo

Edits:
You're cool.
Thanks for noticing.

I bet I had more fun than you.
Wanna make that a moneymatch? Why argue a point you can't ever prove? Also, I was making fun of you for quitting the tournament scene after losing to someone. It just makes you look like a little punk who cries over videogames.

I didn't really read scar's full original post, so sorry if I'm proving his point. I'm just saying whats on my mind.
Sometimes nobody cares what's on your mind. Sometimes it's better to leave it all inside when your arguments are stupid and incoherent. I'm not saying that's what you were doing or anything like that...

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Well the AT's as of right now is mostly through characters. =/ There isn't a good enough AT that say "Yes we must use that to improve our Metagame". The AT's in Brawl are more character specific than actually helping other characters.

That's the difference in Melee and Brawl as of right now. In Melee mostly every AT could be implemented in any of the characters Metagame, the thing is that each and single character had small differences in their metagame to help that character evolve.

In Brawl you don't have that yet, the characters are now starting to separate slowly as each character specific metagame is getting better than others.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
That's your problem, you think that without that stuff the game can't stand on it's own as fun and skillful, and you're wrong. You have no faith in the desing of the game. You think you know it better than the people who sculpted it from nothing, brought it into existence. It's the worst kind of arrogance. The better racer still wins at mario kart without snaking involved, and the better player wins at brawl without wavedashing, as all the actual evidence continues to suggest.
I would say that it makes less sense to put your faith in fallible human designers whose target audience is primarily younger kids who play completely casually.

Why wouldn't the evolution of the metagame over time made by players who explore a game in FAR greater depth than the designers, where positive, depth adding exploits are kept and degenerate techniques are banned, create a better game than the designers planned?

Why do you think the designers are all-knowing and are able to control every aspect of balance and depth in chaotic systems such as video games?

Why do you even think that a (nintendo) developer's priority is depth rather than easy to play, wacky mario party appeal?

By the way, many of your assertions about how "glitches broke melee" don't have much ground. For one thing, there's only one useful technique that you can even consider a glitch, and that's with a VERY generous definition of glitch. It's not even the most useful technique.

For another, the "there's only four playable characters" thing is an exaggeration; I'd say that melee is about as balanced roster-wise than brawl. Just because most people don't know what they're doing right now doesn't mean any character is viable in brawl.

I haven't played mario kart, but I know that advanced techs (which aren't even glitches >__>) added depth and fun to melee. How did that break the game?

To address your last point I'm going to use an analogy (sorry @ TheChocobo, but I feel like well-thought out analogies can be appropriate). >___>

The better player wins in chess, and the better player would still win if all the pieces were removed except for kings, pawns and rooks, but which is a deeper and more exciting game?
Also, which game would have the most room for a player to improve? The fact that there is skill involved in Brawl (which is obvious) does not mean that it is as deep as melee.

Papapaint

I'm just saying whats on my mind.
There are other forums/threads dedicated to discussion that has nothing to do with other threads. Go say what's on your mind over there, or help to further the discussion over here. I'm not saying this with malice, but the progress in this thread is being deterred by excessive posts of people just saying what's on their mind--almost all of which has been said before in the thread--rather than people posting constructively.

On an insulting note, though, you should be punched right in the ovaries for even thinking that you could say you'd had more fun than someone else playing a **** game.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll lay off.

I'm playing the game now, as we talk and it's just a lot of fun. This is just a digression but the more I play Brawl the more impressed I am with how designed everything is. For example the way they changed the timing on links bombs to improve his bomb recovery trick (event he AI does it now), the way they use different characters recoveries to balance them out in general is impressive. Most sweetspot, but those that don't don't for a reason . Anyone notice that poor little toon link doesn't hone in on those ledges like his big brother does? Dedede's multijump/megajump is helpful but easy to punish. The balance of priority, power and combo potential....it amazes me that all these things have been weighed and balanced, and that some people maintain this happens by accident.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Cry more. People need to start looking outside the Melee box and getting creative before they dismiss Brawl as anything less than Melee.

AngryJimmy

Smash Cadet
Not really. Discussion is the single most important part of a metagame. If someone discovers some wonderful strategy in their basement, but doesn't share it, the blame lies in discussion. If someone thinks they have a strategy that can truly stop spammers, they can post a request for it, and someone in this thread can try it out. We can set up skype channels and play over wi-fi. We can talk about recent ATs, and how they can be used to help.

Discussion is the most important aspect of evolving a metagame.
Well - that's what I was indicating with the word unless :)

I haven't seen anything in this thread related to new discoveries, strategies or what not - and if there were such information this would be an inappropriate thread to post in with it anyway.

When I said that discussion won't help evolve the metagame I was referring to discussion alone (e.g. sitting and talking about theory rather than playing the game and then making a post with questions about specific techniques and/or tactics - or this thread) -

By the way, if the topic of the thread has changed like you've stated then it's time for a new thread.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master

Papapaint

Arguably, this thread was made for people to explain to scar why brawl can still be competitive. That includes sharing and discussing techniques.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
I would say that it makes less sense to put your faith in fallible human designers whose target audience is primarily younger kids who play completely casually.

Why wouldn't the evolution of the metagame over time made by players who explore a game in FAR greater depth than the designers, where positive, depth adding exploits are kept and degenerate techniques are banned, create a better game than the designers planned?

Why do you think the designers are all-knowing and are able to control every aspect of balance and depth in chaotic systems such as video games?

Why do you even think that a (nintendo) developer's priority is depth rather than easy to play, wacky mario party appeal?

By the way, many of your assertions about how "glitches broke melee" don't have much ground. For one thing, there's only one useful technique that you can even consider a glitch, and that's with a VERY generous definition of glitch. It's not even the most useful technique.

For another, the "there's only four playable characters" thing is an exaggeration; I'd say that melee is about as balanced roster-wise than brawl. Just because most people don't know what they're doing right now doesn't mean any character is viable in brawl.

I haven't played mario kart, but I know that advanced techs (which aren't even glitches >__>) added depth and fun to melee. How did that break the game?

To address your last point I'm going to use an analogy (sorry @ TheChocobo, but I feel like well-thought out analogies can be appropriate). >___>

The better player wins in chess, and the better player would still win if all the pieces were removed except for kings, pawns and rooks, but which is a deeper and more exciting game?
Also, which game would have the most room for a player to improve? The fact that there is skill involved in Brawl (which is obvious) does not mean that it is as deep as melee.
I don't know where you get the idea that Brawl was supposed to be the next wii sports. They very clearly maintained it's hardcore gamer roots in it's control options, they said outright numerous times that it wasn't, this is the directors third game in the series, the team was seasoned smash players.

Lets look for evidence that it was designed keeping the "pros" in mind. L-canceling was removed, but in it's place came lagless ariels, a clear response to the competitive play style. Someone clearly thought about how much lag every attack should have, they didn't just draw numbers out of a hat, and they didn't just eliminate the tech. They just took the secret out of it. Timing an l-cancel isn't hard after a few hour of practice anyway, you're not a finger ninja because you can l-cancel so why not remove the need and add a balance to ariel attacks in the process? Should every jump move have the same after lag?

And I don't think I was exagerating at all in saying 4 characters dominated Melee. Fox and Marth have won three times tourneys as all the other characters combined. You might be able to place with someone else, but they don't win.

Papapaint

Okay. Now I know you're lying.

Every **** post I've made in the past 10 pages has been about how we should discuss new brawl strategies and work on moving on. Scar agrees.

I'm just going to give up on this **** thread. I forgot that rational discussion just doesn't work on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom