• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm holding my breath every post cause it might be the last

but then 1001 is a pretty cool number too so its ok.

man this is some crazy nostalgia thread.

ROFL first of 1001

PALINDROME *****

LHG

Smash Journeyman
Hiya, me and a couple friends will show up. You'll know its us when you see this little guy with a "Thrilla From Manila" shirt walks in with like 5 guys. =P STD night before for us then!
San Marcos' debut into the scene. Page 175, I still remember. :)

I hate this game.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I was last. In case my edit was missed...

page 1000 was awesome. It had 14 unique posters. 1 user is from Irvine. 2 are SD greats that have been here since the scenes heyday. All that is left is Jun's surprise.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, qjweoifjmaster #3 Fan

HomeRunTom

Smash Apprentice
hey im goin home too, just a little later yo. when will you be gone ?

EDIT: What am i doing here?! I have a math midterm on friday, CSE12 due friday, essay draft needing completion, math HW due at 5:00PM, and a lab report with ky that I have to finish. ah well, NO FEAR trix are fer kids.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Yo radical andrew

Can I write some stuff for your website? I always wanted to write an editorial or a short on some random video game topics but needed a place. How's the traffic on the gameroni site.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
we should incorporate a rating system

A = best players
B = almost best players
C = mediocre players
D = a little less than mediocre
F = just picking up the game

i mean it would be pretty hard to accurately rate everyone right away, but we could have some smashfest tournaments with everyone rated 0 or something and then we can say every win is worth X amount of points. then at the next smashfest tournament we could enter with our ratings from the previous tournament and we could add in calculations for losses to players rated higher than you and players rated lower than you.

then at future tournaments we could have rating events which could possibly bring in more money if we charge for them. in this way, we'd have a tournament event where (in theory) people will be close in level which would make for tighter sets and/or more entertaining finals.

we could also implement the rating system into triweeklies with players from out of town that attend. we can just start them with a rating of 0 and watch them accumulate points, etc

i know calculating ratings could be annoying though, so i dont mind doing it myself. having multiple events is tough though, so we'd need multiple people stepping up and helping run stuff. i dont mind trying to run extra events, the only thing is time becomes a factor.. so it might not be smart to try in a one-day tournament

lemme know what you guys think, because i've been thinking about how tournaments are run and stuff like that and i thought a rating system could be fun and/or could provide extra motivation

Jun.

Smash Lord
I've been thinking of a ranking system for a while now the best system being the ELO rating from chess.

but there is one serious pitfall

The reason why we are a more relaxed community is bc of the fact that we don't rank ourselves. Rankings in games commonly create enemies rather than motivating people and the game and its players get established into a hierarchy.

We already more or less know who fits in where. Just no one really knows for sure which makes things somewhat exciting.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
hm.. well with our personalities i dont think theres much risk of people becoming enemies.. i mean yeah we know who the best players in SD are and none of them are douchebags so it shouldnt be too bad. plus it could be exciting this way too because upsets could be more hype/obvious ..lol i dunno maybe not then

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
well i'll try guessing..

jesse sunny pbs simon eric lanstar george jun yuta (consistent skill, no particular order since they beat each other)

miguel me joe tristan rd kevin (wouldnt be surprised if beat the above)

ky kelvin anthony andrew andrew tom (getting better)

hope nobody is offended.. lool and of course pat and richard aren't counted for obvious reasons.

Edit: Jun's right, kevin is mid tier

Edit: Switched Yuta and miguel, makes sense to me. (RD/Jun)

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
This works for me.
I have secretly been an enemy to you all from day 1.
I no longer have to be a private villain.

-Jesse, SNG Sucks, Sasehwirsdm Sucks, :mad:

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
i approve of smashfest tournies and rankings. although i am not down for them being on friday since i dont want to stay in friday nights.

we know boss was onto you already jesse. and that dude plays puff so im gonna side with him.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Yo radical andrew

Can I write some stuff for your website? I always wanted to write an editorial or a short on some random video game topics but needed a place. How's the traffic on the gameroni site.
You are most likely welcome to write for the site since your writing skills appear to be sufficient. The traffic is, however, pretty low right now to be honest. It's still a pretty new site, only five months old, so right now it's very much a work-in-progress. It still needs more content, site layout and functionality improvements, more writers, and also just more time. You might want to check out this page for more info: http://www.gameroni.com/posts/454.html

I think that page is more about signing on full-time, but occasional guest contributions are also welcome if that would be more suitable for you. Contact Jason Venter if you're interested.

Basically, it's a small time gaming blog right now. I tweeted an article about Starcraft though, and Robert Clotworthy, the guy who voices Jim Raynor, started following me. I sent him a message complimenting his work and he replied saying he would love to talk some time, so maybe I can get an interview out of it or something.

EDIT: My feelings about those rankings are that I would switch Miguel and Yuta, though this may just be my bias since I win most of the time against Miguel but lose most of the time against Yuta.

Jun.

Smash Lord
well i'll try guessing..

jesse sunny pbs simon eric lanstar george miguel jun (consistent skill, no particular order since they beat each other)

yuta me joe tristan rd (wouldnt be surprised if beat the above)

ky kelvin kevin anthony andrew andrew tom (getting better)

hope nobody is offended.. lool and of course pat and richard aren't counted for obvious reasons.
I agree with this except for kevin. I think Kevin should be in the middle tier.

edit: also agree with Andrew that recently Yuta and Miguel should be switched since god knows what Miguel is doing these days. lol

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
well i'll try guessing..

jesse sunny pbs simon eric lanstar george miguel jun (consistent skill, no particular order since they beat each other)

yuta me joe tristan rd (wouldnt be surprised if beat the above)

ky kelvin kevin anthony andrew andrew tom (getting better)

im offended you put yourself in mid. lanstar and jun i would put in mid. you can stop making love to jun now

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
I can argue jun's position from his placings in tournaments and his matchup experience against marth/captain falcon/falco/peach which is pretty much all of the top tier. cept he sucks against shiek

and i think lanstar usually does pretty well in tournaments since he travels a lot also.

as for me.. i make falcos rage <3

and i editted the thing to include kevin up there, sorry kevin haha, fellow doc brother!

Jun.

Smash Lord
im offended you put yourself in mid. lanstar and jun i would put in mid. you can stop making love to jun now
you do realize lanstar beat eric's sheik and peach the one time they played in bracket. Which in the end is what matters.

David also beats everyone in the bottom group consistently almost 90-10 I believe so why wouldn't he be in the middle?

as for me, I suck. I just perform more or less around the level of the people in the top group at tournaments.

honestly though, I care more about involvement and input into the community more than how well you can play. I think we can all agree on that. As in which players support the community more and are better representatives of our region in more aspects than just skill.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Lanstar is really good, not gonna lie. Better Marth than me, Jun and David, and pretty good with a bunch of other characters too.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
first of all, beating people here does make you higher than them. if fact beating someone consistently does not even make you better than them.

well then i guess i should be moved up with that logic because i go pretty even with david, but you dont see me arguing for myself. i actually came decently close to beating jesse at the last triweekly.

point here is that comparing two people who haved learned each other's styles is not a reasonable comparison on the whole. i personally dont see lanstar or juns styles translating well to tournament, but i guess this weekend helped at least jun in that regard.

and im pretty sure only mooninite will defend marthdudeguy6931 (david) here

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Lol Lanstar does fine in tournament. He goes to tournaments more than just about anyone else in the top list. The argument for him is that he's good at playing people he's unfamiliar with because he has more experience doing it than most of us. He puts himself out there, while we stick to what we know most of the time. He also plays with confidence and is very good in the clutch.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
who was that guy in the last arcadian tournament that played Roy and was really good? i think he's from norcal or something

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
is he from SD cuz.. we might not know otherwise haha

as for jun, his tournament results are more than enough to prove his placing
same for lanstar, i think he does better actually than jun
as for me, my tournament results are crap LOL but i was tied in my pool for 3rd seed at wgf so i consider it improvement compared to doing terrible last tournaments.

and charles.. this is all your fault! but honestly i only wrote that to inspire myself to get better. seeing myself do better against all the top players in SD as time goes by helps me the most. i remember getting 4 stocked by miguel when i first met him, and i was like wtf. now we go really close with each other.

i still hate eric.
<3 eric

Jun.

Smash Lord
Lanstar's marth is better than mine

My sheik for some reason beats his marth though. And we both have Foxes. We're that cool.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
meh, we should stop debating this. its annoying and realistically pointless. this whole thing about not playing friendlies is also annoying. play for the love of them game! if you want to play seriouslies, then do it away from me. (not that i dont want to improve or anything)

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
haha sd, you so crazy

keeping rankings out of sd would be a good thing, so none of us rage even more when we lose than we already do COUGH YUTA SAY WHAT

my one suggestions would be to ACTUALLY do some shots for stocks or some form of intoxicated smash, seriously. we play this game to have fun, lets keep it that way.

next time i'm down, i'm buying.

(and no offense to yuta, i definitely raged more than him in my earlier falco days <3)

(**** marth)

(and peach/eric)

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I am greatly amused at this latest exchange of fighting words.

I was going to keep my opinion to myself before, but for whatever reason people are doubting Lanstar's skill and I feel compelled to actually post. Josh is very good. There's no reason to place him lower than any of the other people in that group. Jun, I've never played him with Peach in a serious tournament setting. He beat my Zelda/Sheik in a close set although it was very obvious both of us were playing terribly (not johning for myself, both of us sucked, he just sucked less, I 100% deserved that loss). In friendlies, we go evenish with Peach Marth I believe, but we also haven't done that in a long time.

However, in the long run and the big picture, this bickering is really inconsequential and in the end, it can be concluded that we all just suck.

That being said, I think if anything, this short discussion has changed my mind about wanting to do rankings. I was somewhat against it before, but after witnessing this divisive exchange, I would like to see rankings to keep our scene from stagnating and as Charles said, I feel like it does provide motivation for a lot of people. I mean, look at how much discussion we just generated from David's one post! It definitely keeps things interesting imo.

:demon:

ehheHEHHEHEHEHEH:094:EHEHHEhLAJAJAJAJKEKEKEKEKEKEEEKEKKEKKKEKEK

- Eric
Yuta's #1 fan, not a fan of sunny, who else thinks Jesse needs a fan page?

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
Yea i mean we all have fun regardless when we do crap like falcon ffa on termina bay... haha (eric won... damn it LOL)
but after playing m2k and mango, i realize how much i want to get better, and everyone else to get better too. i only put that list in "levels" because i really think its not solid within those people (i.e. x beats y, y beats z, but z beats x). its fun to play friendlies, but when tournament comes, its also satisfying to see yourself do better each time.

Top Bottom