• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Custom Villager. Trip Seed and Explosive Balloons.
Easiest time out in the world. :applejack:

Jopan1026

Smash Cadet
Slush, oh no I totally agree we shouldn't even attempt to switch to customs until a new season, but that gives time to think about it at least. All the setups only have to be setup once, and since usually it's the same people bringing setups it won't be so bad. Getting our stream setup is a little muddy at the beginning, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. So customs may be muddy at first, but it'll clear up, one way or another. We can theorize all day about how it might be, but until we actually do it... well, then we'll know for sure. Also about stats, I know it's not perfect but it will say "Balanced" next to the character. I know they can still increase the stats and stay balanced, but it's not impossible to check.

Geoberos, then lets have a side event then lol. You have to toggle a button to use them sure, but you also have to go into the options to change stocks, and an EXTRA options just to put a stock time limit. And another button to turn items off, which luckily at least is persistent across game sessions.

Espy, I don't know very many of the customs, so I really can't say much about it. But I don't see why we have to assume that people can't find strategies against techniques such as these. I've never seen a villager do this in tournament, so I'm just saying it isn't tested enough to mark it off as something we should never try. Stalling is possible on melee thanks to some characters ability to refresh their invincibility on the edge continuously with certain moves. Melee strives on all of it's "broken" elements. Sure some moves may seem broken at first glance, but that could be what makes it better..... or worse.... only trying will tell.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Finding strategies against the techniques doesn't invalidate the toxicity and degenerative playstyle they promote. That's what the Brawl/4WiiU community has been trying to avoid.:applejack:

Last edited:

Jopan1026

Smash Cadet
Could you elaborate? If not, I guess I'll just take your word for it. I'd still like to see custom tournaments, even if it's not in SA. Until then I'm neutral, if not still tipped on the side of customs.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I believe Xandu is taking on customs as a side event currently, Team Spooky is using them as a main tourney, and Tourney Locator is giving them a shot as well. I've also heard that HungryBox is thinking about using them for his tourneys and that he supports them in general.

Nike.

Smash Hero
2nd post updated with Los 1-4 Results and ELO Rankings.

As of now FunCrazyFish doesn't qualify for the final tourney :(

Nike.

Smash Hero
Also, news regarding Los 1-5 for this thursday. The owners want to run the tourney on the entire top half of the venue, where all of the arcade games are. In theory we have more space to work with, but we'll see how it works. Also, there is someone who works for Fox News that's going into the store this week (I assume he's doing an article or something for the store since it just opened). Apparently he likes Smash. Anyway, I may get a chance to talk to him about the weeklies.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Smashfest at my place still on tonight. 9pm until as late as 1am. Hoping to get at least 4 people. Let me know if coming.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Not sure how yall are gonna feel about this, but there's a Houston tourney in March 21. It's the same day as mizzumi con. I could be a **** and still try to host SAM3 at Mizzumi Con or pick another date. Thoughts?

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
Not sure how yall are gonna feel about this, but there's a Houston tourney in March 21. It's the same day as mizzumi con. I could be a **** and still try to host SAM3 at Mizzumi Con or pick another date. Thoughts?
Will there still be one at mizzumi con? If so then it don't matter to me. But if I have to pick one its mizzumi con.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
If you think Mizuumi Con can hold 10+ set ups, I'd say go for it. Until we have a really solid venue, our usual Cons could be our big/monthly tourneys. I haven't been to one since the early years of Brawl, but y'all probably still have enough room for a decent amount of set ups and the game room doesn't really get that packed, unless that has changed.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I'll be testing out the stream tonight at Peels. The stream layout is real basic but if you are not going please check it out tn and give feedback and how it looks and sounds.ill be making changes tn on updating the look. I'll post the link tn when we get it running around 9.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
What's this "final tourney" you speak of?
It's the League of Shadows Seasonal Tournament as mentioned in the second post. Uses our local ranking and accumulative pot for the current season for the "final" tourney. Like a championship of our sorts, then our new season starts.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Reminder to everyone that tmrw (Thursday) is LOS 1-5! The weekly will be at Otaku Cafe. Same thing as before: 6:00 signs ups, 6:30 bracket starts, venue closes at 10:00pm. $5 Venue fee and $5 entry fee. Venue fee is waived if you bring a full setup! (Tv/wiiu/disc/GameCube adapter).

The tourney this week will be on the top side of the venue, where the arcade games are. There will be more room in theory. There will also be a projector being used to show the main setup. And lastly, I spoke with a reporter for Fox News today at the store. Fox is doing a special for otaku cafe that will be airing next week and there may be a mention of the weeklies. He may try to show up tmrw.

Last week we had 11 setups and 35 entrants. Let's try to break that. Hope to see everyone there!

Jopan1026

Smash Cadet
I have a random tech question. I have trouble turning in place and jabbing/grabbing/tilting. Is there a certain technique to it or is it just gently pressing the control stick in the opposite direction and then inputting the attack? For example, opponent lands right behind you so you turn around and grab them quickly. Another example is when an opponent is right in front of fox, fox turns around and up tilts them almost instantly.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I have a random tech question. I have trouble turning in place and jabbing/grabbing/tilting. Is there a certain technique to it or is it just gently pressing the control stick in the opposite direction and then inputting the attack? For example, opponent lands right behind you so you turn around and grab them quickly. Another example is when an opponent is right in front of fox, fox turns around and up tilts them almost instantly.
not sure how much it'll help, but try tilting the stick diagonally up, more up the to the side. that should help you with standing pivots, assuming you play without using the stick to jump.

i hate zss. it changed samus from badass bounty hunter to yet another oversexualized female video game character kawaii waifu princess and it's ****ing abhorrent

(i'd still **** her tho)
---

Nike.

Smash Hero
Los 1-5 Results!
31 Entrants

1: Espy :4sonic::4littlemac:
2: K Prime :4pikachu:
3: SnorlaxPie500 :4diddy::4lucario:
4: Slush :4yoshi:
5: Valdens :4luigi:
5: Jopan :rosalina:
7: Paw :4zss:
7: Incendiary :4mario:
9: Whiteout :4dedede:
9: Castro :4iggy:
9: Lan :4falcon:
9: Mindless :4fox:
13: Kev :4bowser::4dk:
13: Speedy :4sheik:
13: Geoberos :4diddy:
13: HeroMystic :4mario:
17: Enigma
17: JNasty
17: Lamp
17: Babybwake
17: Ratherder
17: Crashman
17: CCCM
17: Vitamin
25: Mondy
25: Ordep
25: Louis
25: Jaredgcom
25: Aden
25: Iwantyoursoda
25: Azure

Had a great time everyone!

EDIT: 2nd post updated with results

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If I fought Incendiary again I would've probably picked Wario and let him wreck me. I was legitimately unable to play at my best because I was starving and didn't think about eating until it was time to leave for the tournament. I planned on getting food but I had to pick up Lan and traffic was pretty bad, and we wanted to warm up before it was time for brackets.

Once I ate pizza I played a lot better in my friendlies. So lesson learned, don't be stupid and starve yourself.

Top Bottom