• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai talks about future balance patch plans

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
What if Diddy does get nerf, who will be the next "top tier" character? Sonic, Rosalina, ZSS, or back to Sheik? Maybe Yoshi since he supposedly high tier (yet I barely see him in tournaments minus players like Raptor)

I wish he can "fix" Mii Fighters. Oh well, time to learn our matchup and adapt.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Much rather there be more buffs then nerfs.

sc458

Smash Cadet
Nerfs to Diddy's uair/dthrow and the game will be as balanced as I'd like it.

The 'lower tier' characters can beat 'higher tier' characters given the right player behind them. It's not like in Brawl where Ganondorf couldn't even beat an egg.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
What if Diddy does get nerf, who will be the next "top tier" character? Sonic, Rosalina, ZSS, or back to Sheik? Maybe Yoshi since he supposedly high tier (yet I barely see him in tournaments minus players like Raptor)

I wish he can "fix" Mii Fighters. Oh well, time to learn our matchup and adapt.
The issue with diddy could just be his sheer simplicity. If they could just make his combos more of a DI read than it is now, it'd probably be okay. I feel like the change from vectoring was bound to cause issues like this so they should be prepared to fix them.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nothing wrong with Diddy to me outside of his Uair, Still if this were the last balance patch poor Mii swordsman lol.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This game is for real a rollercoaster of emotions.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
so from what I gathered; Diddy and Luigi weren't mentioned in the article, but they mention a character that's average, but for some reason has a high rate win streak. I don't know who that character could be.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Something I'd like to point is that, at least in the "translation", Sakurai mentions something related to Custom Moves' balance.
That probably means he EXPECTS them to be used?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Something I'd like to point is that, at least in the "translation", Sakurai mentions something related to Custom Moves' balance.
That probably means he EXPECTS them to be used?
Of course he expects them to be used. He didn't put them there as just window dressing.

There really isn't any reason not to implement them in the long run.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Nobody plans to patch their game right after they literally just balance patched their game. Of course there's no immediate plan for it. I mean, nobody's going to release/update their game and just outright essentially state that "it's probably not balanced, immediate patching is in need."

I'm sure we'll get more, I just don't expect them anytime soon. Do keep in mind this statement mentions "current plans" and not "full future plans", so I grain of salt it.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Much rather there be more buffs then nerfs.
Yoo
That would be pretty cool if after a whole ton of nerfing patches, Sakurai just releases a major overhaul patch and buffs the heck out of everyone...
Still though, it's really much easier to nerf to balance rather than buff. Even the most significant buff was probably with Shulk's +1% on every move in his moveset, and that wasn't particularly even game-changing to HOW he played.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Nobody plans to patch their game right after they literally just balance patched their game. Of course there's no immediate plan for it. I mean, nobody's going to release/update their game and just outright essentially state that "it's probably not balanced, immediate patching is in need."

I'm sure we'll get more, I just don't expect them anytime soon. Do keep in mind this statement mentions "current plans" and not "full future plans", so I grain of salt it.
If I had to guess, it would definitly be when Mewtwo comes out (At least they confirmed that he will be stand alone DLC to pay). heck, the online tournament modes and stuff might come out when Mewtwo comes out as well.

sc458

Smash Cadet

It's difficult to know his exact wording since we're going off a translation, and words never have exactly the same meaning as their translations.

Unless we have someone here who's bilingual in English and Japanese we'll have to just hope they do a good job translating.

And that Sakurai isn't just lying/trolling/teasing us.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
It's difficult to know his exact wording since we're going off a translation, and words never have exactly the same meaning as their translations.

Unless we have someone here who's bilingual in English and Japanese we'll have to just hope they do a good job translating.

And that Sakurai isn't just lying/trolling/teasing us.
It could be like that time he said there would be no Paid DLC and then NoE literally confirmed you could buy Mewtwo.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Nobody plans to patch their game right after they literally just balance patched their game. Of course there's no immediate plan for it. I mean, nobody's going to release/update their game and just outright essentially state that "it's probably not balanced, immediate patching is in need.".
Hmm, I'm not exactly sure about that. It isn't until a patch goes public can the effects be fully demonstrate so you would think developers would remain at the ready if any issue with the patch happened. This could range from glitches to big influx of power in the game.

This is just me but if I was developing a game and I remove a major mechanic (VI) I would be very nervous in how it could drastically change the game. ^-^ I guess Sakurai isn't fully aware of the monster they made Diddy Kong into.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Hmm, I'm not exactly sure about that. It isn't until a patch goes public can the effects be fully demonstrate so you would think developers would remain at the ready if any issue with the patch happened. This could range from glitches to big influx of power in the game.

This is just me but if I was developing a game and I remove a major mechanic (VI) I would be very nervous in how it could drastically change the game. ^-^ I guess Sakurai isn't fully aware of the monster they made Diddy Kong into.
I mean, of course it's important to be ready, but from the statement I drew that he's in this sort of place where he doesn't want to prematurely change anything on a knee-jerk, especially this early on. Which is good. Let things settle before you flip everything on its head I suppose.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. No idea, this guy seems to change his mind about a lot of things LOL

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
I apologize for my subtle diddy kong joke that seems to have stirred up discussion. Good to hear this could be false, as I definitely am in favor of a few minor balancing tweaks.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman

Exactly this.

Think of it from Sakurai's perspective. He just worked on this game tirelessly for years, all the way up to just before the Wii U release. Then finally he takes a few weeks off from the game. At the time of this interview he states that he's just getting back to the game, to work on Mewtwo and some other online improvements.

In this context, he's asked "will we be getting more balance patches?" Which makes more sense for him to say... "Of course we'll be getting another balance patch" or "I have no plans at the moment for another balance patch."

Of course the latter answer makes more sense. He doesn't want to make it seem as if balance patches are something that should be expected regularly, because they won't be, and he's not doing a service to the Smash community by saying "expect plenty of balance patches!"

But I know Sakurai does care about this game, and I think if we give the game a few months to breathe, and if at that point there are a couple of characters in Japan who are clearly head and shoulders above or significantly below the rest of the cast, Sakurai will see that and make adjustments.

If Sakurai was resolved to wipe his hands completely clean of the game I would have my doubts, but the fact that DLC is clearly going to be worked on over the next few months at the very least is what makes me think we will be getting at least a few more character adjustments in the future.

Last edited:

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091
Fox's borderline infinite jab needs to be patched. I watched ZeRo own Mew2King for 2 hours straight on Twitch the other day and a bunch of those matches was ZeRo explaining how broken that "combo" is.

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
so from what I gathered; Diddy and Luigi weren't mentioned in the article, but they mention a character that's average, but for some reason has a high rate win streak. I don't know who that character could be.
Link would be my best guess.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
This is kinda good for me actually, no more immediate balance patches while the game's so young. There are a few adjustments I'd still like to see to a few characters (particularly Bowser Jr, Diddy, andCharizard and Palutena), but I do hope they wll make another patch eventually. Maybe they'll do it around Mewtwo's release?

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Fox's borderline infinite jab needs to be patched. I watched ZeRo own Mew2King for 2 hours straight on Twitch the other day and a bunch of those matches was ZeRo explaining how broken that "combo" is.
At lower percents you can still react to it and get out but at higher percents it's ridiculous. Some characters just can't get out of this when the jabs lift them high enough off the ground right into Upsmash. It needs some tweaking for sure.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I am requesting this thread's title be changed to not have a quote, as this was a translation and was slightly mistranslated in tone as well. We are not being accurate or truthful by using quotes.

Last edited:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
They additionally mention that there is a character that Sakurai thinks is average at best but has an abnormally high online win rate. The character is not mentioned.
If Sakurai thinks a character is average at best, doesn't that imply he thinks some characters are better than the others? And he's quitting patching now?..

What the hell, Sakurai! What ever happened to balance?!

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
I tend to have a really hard time vs sonic, even vs players that I dominate otherwise. Maybe just me though. Diddy seems skill dependent but then again I haven't vs'd too many.

Falcon Beatdown

Smash Rookie
Damn, would have been awesome to get a speed increase and get it closer to melee's level of competitive play. Although even if there were major updates I highly doubt that Daddy Sakurai would permit that. Gotta stick with melee and project m for now.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

The idea is that right after a balance patch, things are going to take a long time to really be figured out, any any further patch within ~2 years has a decent chance of being unecessary. Glitches, of course can be fixed asap, but even if a character is perceived to suddenly be OP, they're not going to adjust it again so fast. Especially since there's definitely not going to be a new Meta Knight all of a sudden considering how balanced the characters have seemed for months now already.

You're saying they should be ready to readjust it since they removed vectoring and deal with the side effects. But what if the side effects aren't really problems but are only perceived as problems because, right now, currently we do not know how to handle it (diddy?). A month is nothing in the grand scheme of things, people could easily figure something out in that time.

The logic of readjusting it because something should be fixed can also be used to argue that it should not be readjusted right after a balance patch. You can't be sure if the problem will persist for more than a few months (and even so a few months is not definitive) and you also can't be sure that a new problem won't arise.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
sakurai thinks this character is average at best and has an abnormally high "online" win rate................

hmmmmm..............

Link.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
sakurai thinks this character is average at best and has an abnormally high "online" win rate................

hmmmmm..............

Link.
i think this guys right.

roll - jab - projectile

even experienced players can lose to that

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
So when is Sakurai gonna save Smash Wii U by balancing out diddy (and maaaaaybe sheik) ?

Please, we really don't want another Brawl where the top 16 in every tournament will be all diddy kongs and we will start banning diddy kongs. He better have a plan to balance him out.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
My main concern is that Mewtwo is going to be OP and Sakurai won't be willing to fix him after he is released in the Spring. I guess Mewtwo deserves payback from his poor performance in Melee, but we'll see how everything goes.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
My main concern is that Mewtwo is going to be OP and Sakurai won't be willing to fix him after he is released in the Spring. I guess Mewtwo deserves payback from his poor performance in Melee, but we'll see how everything goes.
He is going to be a floaty mess with a lot of useless moves.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman

I enjoy your reiteration of "take it with a grain of salt"

Top Bottom