• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai seem to be going for new Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
As for new franchisee I want to see...

Little Mac
Dillon
Issac
Shulk

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It seems for most series (exceptions are Pokemon, Earthbound and Fire Emblem because they don't have static casts) the important characters follow a pattern of...

1. Hero
2. Sidekick/Rival
3. Love intrest
4. Foe

Of course Melee and Brawl added most of these character to the existing franchises so it's looking like we may see some more small time franchises making the leap.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
It seems for most series (exceptions are Pokemon, Earthbound and Fire Emblem because they don't have static casts) the important characters follow a pattern of...

1. Hero
2. Sidekick/Rival
3. Love intrest
4. Foe

Of course Melee and Brawl added most of these character to the existing franchises so it's looking like we may see some more small time franchises making the leap.
The only series that followed this perfectly was Mario. Zelda never had a sidekick, and it can be argued that Zelda isn't a love interest, at least on a Princess Peach level. But I think this temperate would work with the DK franchise.

Donkey Kong (Hero)
Diddy Kong (Sidekick)
Dixie Kong (Love interest for Diddy)
King K. Rool (Villian)

Gavi

Smash Cadet

1. Hero
2. Sidekick/Rival
3. Love intrest
4. Foe

I disagree with #3. Zelda and peach would be the closest ones and they aren't really LI they are more like sidekicks now.

D

Deleted member

There are some franchise that I would love to see get some representation. I would love to see Little Mac (Punch Out!!) and Takamaru (Nazo no Murasame Jo) get in SSB4 as they could represent an era on the NES (well, Takamaru is Famicom which is a Japanese NES... you get the point). I would also like to see some brand new franchises and seeing the Villager from Animal Crossing and the Wii Fit Trainer are getting my hopes raised up. I would like to see Issac from Golden Sun and Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles be playable.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think it's about time for a Golden Sun rep. Sometimes I don't get why Mother gets two characters, while Golden Sun hasn't even gotten one.

I mean, I really like Mother, second favorite Nintendo RPG after GS to me, but it always struck me as a WTF choice for SSB64.

Heck... Punch Out has 5 (2 arcade, 1 nes game with two different versions, 1 snes, 1 Wii) games and a spinoff, and only in SSB4 is Little Mac finally what I can call "likely", and I can't help shake the feeling that it was more because of japanese exclusive Captain Rainbow than the worldwide Punch Out wii game. :/
I totally agree!

I agree that if Earthbound can get a character, so can Golden Sun.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I totally agree!

I agree that if Earthbound can get a character, so can Golden Sun.
You have to remember why the Mother franchise was included: Sakurai was planning to replace Ness with Lucas, who starred in Mother 3 which was directed by Mr. Sakurai.

Also, if Sakurai is looking for what characters can offer to the new game, it's hard to say that Golden Sun can offer something independent and new compared to Mother... Elemental themed psychic powers and all.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
But I think this temperate would work with the DK franchise.

Donkey Kong (Hero)
Diddy Kong (Sidekick)
Dixie Kong (Love interest for Diddy)
King K. Rool (Villian)
I agree. Either way, the Donkey Kong series deserves a new rep(s). The DK series was just as successful as the Kirby and Star Fox series, yet those two series get three reps and DK only got two in brawl.

As for new series, I can only think of Golden Sun and Punch-Out. I think now that they're making a 3DS version of SSB4, that should increase Golden Sun's chance to finally getting a rep.

Yams

Smash Journeyman

1. Hero
2. Sidekick/Rival
3. Love intrest
4. Foe

Ganondorf - Link's love interest :p

just playing

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well here's how I see that pattern, characters in green are ones I think could work, ones in yellow not so.

Mario-Luigi-Peach-Bowser
Link-Other Link-Zelda-Ganondorf
Kirby-Meta Knight-Is Kirby even capable of love?-Dedede
Fox-Falco-Krystal-Wolf
Donkey-Diddy-Dixie-King K. Rool
Pit-Dark Pit/Magnus-Palutena-Medusa/Hades
Captain Falcon-Samurai Goroh-Jody Summer-Black Shadow
Samus-Err...-Not many characters here, are there?-Ridley/Dark Samus

So from this (by no means accurate) system there's Approx. 4-5 characters that can potentially come from the fixed cast series (as opposed to fluid cast series like Fire Emblem, Mother and Pokemon)

We'll definitely see some retro/new universes as most of the previous ones are reaching saturation

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The franchises we need to see in SSB4 are:

Punch-Out!!
Panel de Pon
Chibi-Robo
Murasame Castle
Dillon's Rolling Western
Rhythm Heaven
Golden Sun
Sin & Punishment
Duck Hunt
Devil World
Xenoblade Chronicles
Advance Wars
Wii Sports
Super Smash Bros. (Don't judge me)
Legendary Starfy
Paper Mario
Tales of/ Pac-Man

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think it's about time for a Golden Sun rep. Sometimes I don't get why Mother gets two characters, while Golden Sun hasn't even gotten one.

I mean, I really like Mother, second favorite Nintendo RPG after GS to me, but it always struck me as a WTF choice for SSB64.

Heck... Punch Out has 5 (2 arcade, 1 nes game with two different versions, 1 snes, 1 Wii) games and a spinoff, and only in SSB4 is Little Mac finally what I can call "likely", and I can't help shake the feeling that it was more because of japanese exclusive Captain Rainbow than the worldwide Punch Out wii game. :/

Well isn't golden sun not very popular inside of Japan? That would have a lot to do with it as well as Itoi's cultural status over there as well. Little Mac was a more western centric character so maybe captain rainbow brought him more attention- then again Captain Rainbow as a game itself kinda flopped so maybe not.

The franchises we need to see in SSB4 are:

Punch-Out!!
Panel de Pon
Chibi-Robo
Murasame Castle
Dillon's Rolling Western
Rhythm Heaven
Golden Sun
Sin & Punishment
Duck Hunt
Devil World
Xenoblade Chronicles
Advance Wars
Wii Sports
Super Smash Bros. (Don't judge me)
Legendary Starfy
Paper Mario
Tales of/ Pac-Man
I think a smash bros rep in and of itself would be amazing. I would love a character or even just a stage from all of those.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Since I last posted here we've gotten one existing series character and another new series. Let's see where the next newcomer is.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Eh, I don't think we'll see many more misc. series.
Maybe Isaac or Andy, but the rest most likely going to be ATs or less. Especially after Starfy AT happened again.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Eh, I don't think we'll see many more misc. series.
Maybe Isaac or Andy, but the rest most likely going to be ATs or less. Especially after Starfy AT happened again.
Sadly this is probably the case, but we're getting quite a few more new series than Brawl. It also depends; do you consider the Retro's as misc. series?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I see the possibility of Takamaru, Isaac, Saki, Shulk, Andy, and Pac-Man being all the rest of what we get. Literally.
Hmm, Takamaru and Pac-Man, yes, but I don't see the other ones you mentioned happening. I think Mii is more likely than them, especially after this leak (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62304489&postcount=2996).

As far as new series goes, I think we'll just see the leaked E3 six above, and perhaps Takamaru as the retro character, and that's it.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Hmm, Takamaru and Pac-Man, yes, but I don't see the other ones you mentioned happening. I think Mii is more likely than them, especially after this leak (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62304489&postcount=2996).

As far as new series goes, I think we'll just see the leaked E3 six above, and perhaps Takamaru as the retro character, and that's it.
I forgot Mii :embarrassed: - still, that rumor is still nothing but a rumor until we get Mii and Pac-Man.

That said, the popularity of Isaac is rather large at least over here - and with Mac's inclusion, it shows Sakurai does indeed care about American and European fans' requests.

Shulk's game is a cult classic, and all of the characters i mentioned would be unique - that's what Sakurai is going for.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I forgot Mii :embarrassed: - still, that rumor is still nothing but a rumor until we get Mii and Pac-Man.

That said, the popularity of Isaac is rather large at least over here - and with Mac's inclusion, it shows Sakurai does indeed care about American and European fans' requests.

Shulk's game is a cult classic, and all of the characters i mentioned would be unique - that's what Sakurai is going for.
The thing about Isaac is that I'm not sure if Sakurai really sees Golden Sun worthy as being represented through playable form.

What it seems to me is that Sakurai wants to keep the main roster dedicated to the major first party series (With some exceptions, like third party characters and Pokemon, all of which still notable in their own right), while keeping more low key second party series, such as Starfy, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment and what not represented through assist trophies. All six of those E3 characters though, while from new series, do seem like characters Sakurai is willing to add because they offer some significance to Nintendo., especially Mii, Villager, and WFT.

EDIT: I feel like Starfy having five whole games (The same amount SF has which has three characters lol) and only getting a mere AT in Brawl and 4 says something.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Here is a list of ones I would either like or I expect to be in,
  • Shulk
  • Isaac (or Matthew)
  • Mii
  • Takamaru
  • Lip
  • Saki (or Isa Jo)
  • Chibi Robo
  • Pacman
  • Andy
  • Dillon
  • Wonder Red
  • Duck Hunt Dog
  • Muddy Mole
  • Sheriff
  • Sukapon

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The thing about Sakurai is we don't what he thinks about anything.
Some of the truest words I've ever heard while on this board.

By the way, every time I see your sig, it makes me grateful that NLG did what they did to the Punch Out series. To think that Little Mac could've been in SSB4 looking the way he did in Brawl.....*shudders*

Here is a list of ones I would either like or I expect to be in,
  • Shulk
  • Isaac (or Matthew)
  • Mii
  • Takamaru
  • Lip
  • Saki (or Isa Jo)
  • Chibi Robo
  • Pacman
  • Andy
  • Dillon
  • Wonder Red
  • Duck Hunt Dog
  • Muddy Mole
  • Sheriff
  • Sukapon
I think that list basically hit it out of the ball park. If we get a new franchise Newcomer, it'll probably be on this list.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The thing about Sakurai is we don't what he thinks about anything.
Perhaps. I'm just observing past trends. To date, with the exception of Pokemon, which is a major series for Nintendo, we haven't seen a second party series join the playable roster.

To think that Little Mac could've been in SSB4 looking the way he did in Brawl.....*shudders*
To be honest, if it weren't for the Wii game, I don't think Little Mac would be in Smash 4.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I believe so, IMO the story is very hard to follow even though I have beaten both. I want Saki just like I want Isaac, I find the father to be more important than the son.
Isaac's more important, no doubt, but when it comes to S&P I wouldn't put much weight into it either way. I see them having a costume of each other. I like Isa Jo a bit more personally but maybe that's because of his personality.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only IPs I'm sure could get a character:
1. Nintendog (Dead)
2. Brain Age
3. Pac-Man
4. Professor Layton
5. Xenoblade
6. For the Frog the Bell Tolls
7. Nazo no Muramase Jou
8. Duck Hunt
9. Mii
10. Mole Mania
11. Panel De Pon
12. Hanafuda
13. Balloon Fight (Dead)
14. Mach Rider

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
i know this is never going to happen, but i always thought it would be cool if shin onigashima's donbe was a playable character. but ofcourse the series are dead and there is little to no interest in reviving a point and click( not really, more like talk and examine) series.

aaaaaand i much rather have takamaru as a retro anyway

D

Deleted member

If we were to get another new, misc. newcomer, I am highly confident that character will be Shulk. I just find him to be inevitable. I guess Miis are a runner-up, but I'm not confident in them (even with the leak!).

I believe that the next represented 3rd party is probably going to be Pac-Man. Even with the negatives stacked against him, I bet that he will prevail because he is from Namco. I can't see any other character from Namco get in before Pac-Man.

If we get another retro, I think that it's Takamaru. I can see him in this game and yet not make it at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom