• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai seem to be going for new Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see No More Heroes get some love, but they might have a hard time keeping it clean while still retaining the spirit of the game.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I would rather we get playable representatives from new series than adding to the existing ones. The majority of current franchises represented have as many characters as they need really...bar a couple additions/changes.

I'm hoping Sakurai has his creative hat on and gives some of the smaller series more of a chance to shine.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I thought he was pretty clear on the fact that popularity was not the only factor in choosing the Smash Bros roster
Ooooooo this bodes well for Rhythm Heaven.

My expectations for Karate Joe to be a playable character has increased. Do no fail me Sakurai.

EDIT: Hold on, this isn't an official statement? Dammit! Expectations down already!
Is this some Rhythm Heaven love I see?

If Sakurai is going for new series, than maybe Rhythm Heaven could get a character. The DS game sold 3 million copies with a little under 2 million coming from Japan.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it's about time for a Golden Sun rep. Sometimes I don't get why Mother gets two characters, while Golden Sun hasn't even gotten one.

I mean, I really like Mother, second favorite Nintendo RPG after GS to me, but it always struck me as a WTF choice for SSB64.

Heck... Punch Out has 5 (2 arcade, 1 nes game with two different versions, 1 snes, 1 Wii) games and a spinoff, and only in SSB4 is Little Mac finally what I can call "likely", and I can't help shake the feeling that it was more because of japanese exclusive Captain Rainbow than the worldwide Punch Out wii game. :/

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I hope this trend holds true as it would bode well for Isaac and Shulk. The inlclusion of both would make everyone across the world cheer :bee:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I like the fact that the reveal trailer introduced nothing but new franchise newcomers.

There are really only a handful of possible newcomers in returning series that could happen, but in some cases, it would all but clutter the roster board. While I do think that K. Rool and Ridley are long overdue, I'd like to see the likes of Little Mac and Isaac on the board. As a matter of fact, the only character that I actively support is Chibi Robo.

All in all, as many have said before me, we can barely speculate at this point, with the minimal information we've been given.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who could represent Rhythm Heaven? Who is the main character of Rhythm Heaven? At least Animal Crossing had Villager and Wii Fit had Wii Fit Trainer.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Isn't Marshal in all three games too? He is the first character introduced. For a person who doesn't play Rhythm Heaven like me, I'm leaning towards Marshal as the face of Rhythm Heaven. Remember, Samurai did say that just because a character looks like he/she can fight doesn't mean he/she would be interesting. So, really, what makes Karate Joe more interesting than Marshal? At least with Marshal, you could make up a random moveset based on all of Rhythm Heaven as opposed to a generic karate moveset that Karate Joe would provide.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I looked up a gameplay video for Rhythm heaven but I don't see any Karate Joe or Marshal. Just loads of monkeys going "oo okie oo" over and over. :p

I've never played the games myself, are they very popular/well known amongst Nintendo fans or are they a bit niche?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I like the idea of Marshal but he's only been in Rhythm Heaven Fever.
Karate Joe gets in 2 minigames a game and occurs most often in remixes, the most out of any character in the games. Other than the Wandering Samurai, he's the only character to have been in all 3 games.
I feel like he could still incorporate the other minigames into his moveset, it just wouldn't be based around the fact like how G&W or Villager is.

I understand why someone with no experience with Rhythm Heaven might feel confused though, the games are far more popular in Japan than they are in the West. I feel the same with Fire Emblem reps since I've yet to touch any of the games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Isn't Marshal in all three games too?
No. He is only in Rhythm Heaven Fever. The most popular game (by a long shot) is Rhythm Heaven on the DS.
He is the first character introduced. For a person who doesn't play Rhythm Heaven like me, I'm leaning towards Marshal as the face of Rhythm Heaven. Remember, Samurai did say that just because a character looks like he/she can fight doesn't mean he/she would be interesting. So, really, what makes Karate Joe more interesting than Marshal? At least with Marshal, you could make up a random moveset based on all of Rhythm Heaven as opposed to a generic karate moveset that Karate Joe would provide.
Karate Joe has more abilities and has been in all three games. Marshall doesn't do anything really. Karate Joe is kind of the game's main stay.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is this some Rhythm Heaven love I see?
Love is an understatement my friend.
Isn't Marshal in all three games too? He is the first character introduced. For a person who doesn't play Rhythm Heaven like me, I'm leaning towards Marshal as the face of Rhythm Heaven. Remember, Samurai did say that just because a character looks like he/she can fight doesn't mean he/she would be interesting. So, really, what makes Karate Joe more interesting than Marshal? At least with Marshal, you could make up a random moveset based on all of Rhythm Heaven as opposed to a generic karate moveset that Karate Joe would provide.
Marshall only appeared in Fever. In Gold, there are the chorus kids who I suspect Marshall was based on. There's no one like him in Tengoku though, as far as I remember. Maybe the guy from Night Walk, or the drummer whose name's escapes me at the moment.

Also, Karate Joe looking like a fighter is pretty much a good enough reason for it. Marshall doesn't fight nor do I want him to be. Also, the thing about Karate Joe is that you HAVE to be creative with him if you want him to be a proper representative of the series. Considering the guy attacks with rhythm, you could start there.
I looked up a gameplay video for Rhythm heaven but I don't see any Karate Joe or Marshal. Just loads of monkeys going "oo okie oo" over and over. :p

I've never played the games myself, are they very popular/well known amongst Nintendo fans or are they a bit niche?
Rhythm Tengoku is extremely popular in Japan if I remember right. (Anything that sells over a million there is extremely popular to me) So there's that much. There's also the fact that Rhythm Tengoku got an arcade version, which was a big hit I believe.

It's probably more popular than Warioware there if we're going by sale. Though, it is niche in the west. Very. It does have a cult following though. It's definitely gonna get a sequel as well, but whether or not it gets localized is the question. (I trust you NoE!)

You guys need to play the games by the way. They're very good. Start with Fever, I say, because DS is very hard for someone's who's new to Rhythm games and honestly the worst of the three. (Still a very very solid game and worth checking out.) Also, a video of one of the karate joe stages

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
What I can't conceive is a good Up-B for Karate Joe.
It can be another uppercut recovery, but there's so many of those already and I don't think anyone really wants another. Besides, that would be pretty uninspired.
I'm trying to think of something he could derive from another minigame but I can't think of a good move.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He could fly off a blue bird (stretch out your neck!)?
Do the night walk roll jump except the jump is higher?
Ride the planes Forthington and Baxter did?

I think the roll jump would probably be suit the best, with the roll having a hitbox?

I suppose this is a better discussion for a Karate Joe thread. There isn't one though, right?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Love is an understatement my friend.
hat's what I like to here

Rhythm Tengoku is extremely popular in Japan if I remember right. (Anything that sells over a million there is extremely popular to me) So there's that much. There's also the fact that Rhythm Tengoku got an arcade version, which was a big hit I believe.

It's probably more popular than Warioware there if we're going by sale. Though, it is niche in the west. Very. It does have a cult following though. It's definitely gonna get a sequel as well, but whether or not it gets localized is the question. (I trust you NoE!)
To add to your point: The game sold 1.95 million in Japan and this makes it the 78th best selling game over there. It's the 15th best selling game for the DS (also in Japan). So it did well.

What I can't conceive is a good Up-B for Karate Joe.
It can be another uppercut recovery, but there's so many of those already and I don't think anyone really wants another. Besides, that would be pretty uninspired.
I'm trying to think of something he could derive from another minigame but I can't think of a good move.
Maybe his combo in Fever?

I suppose this is a better discussion for a Karate Joe thread. There isn't one though, right?
Not that I know of. Maybe we should have one ;)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'll make one soon enough, I'm working on a moveset picture and a couple of paragraphs. I like the night walk ideas by the way

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I suppose Karate Joe is an ideal choice to represent Rhythm Heaven... but I want Karate Joe to appear as a 2D drawing... I honestly think that would make him stand out more than if he appeared as a 3D model... I think it makes him more WTF-y. And well, I'd rather have him as a new 2D fighter over Paper Mario because I want Toad to be the 5th Mario rep. :awesome:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I take it I'm missing out for not having ever played any of the Rythm games?

Pardon my ignorance, but I somehow thought it was a SEGA game (Rythm Thief related?)

Just made a quick Wiki search and... confirmed, it IS a Nintendo brand. D: Have no idea how it could fall under my radar.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Karate Joe certainly sounds interesting. You guys should make a thread for him. I'm really curious to see what he can do, since I've never played Rhythm Heaven games (and I think I'd be so bad at it ._.).

New franchises really make me want Xenoblade.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I call making the thread.
It'll be made by the end of next week.

For now, let's allow this thread to go back on topic.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've always thought Rhythm Heaven would be the next Smashville, but considering that Nintendogs ended up being the Smashville of SSB4, maybe it could be Hanenbow?

Also for new franchises:
Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, Mysterious Castle, and Xenoblade look likely.
BUT, I'd really like to see Dillon's Rolling Western get some love.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
guys remember that 3 of the newcomers first revealed for brawl were representing new franchises so i think you're maybe looking into it a little to much

either that or sakurai is going to screw with us and put in an art academy character

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Olimar's return seems to support all this but, as usual, I'm probably reading into this too much.

Current:

Golden Sun - Adult Isaac or Matthew
Sin & Punishment - Isa Jo
Advance Wars - Andy
Xenoblade - Shulk
PunchOut - Little Mac

Retros:

Nazo No Murasame Jo - Takamaru
Sheriff - Sheriff

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I've always thought Rhythm Heaven would be the next Smashville, but considering that Nintendogs ended up being the Smashville of SSB4, maybe it could be Hanenbow?

Also for new franchises:
Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, Mysterious Castle, and Xenoblade look likely.
BUT, I'd really like to see Dillon's Rolling Western get some love.
I totally agree. Especially because Western setting would be great for SSB4 and a cool armadillo fits perfect.
I guess if Dillon is getting in, he won't be a locked character so most SSB4 players can notice him right from the beginning. Dillon is an eShop title character but he has so much potential.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I could see at least 1-3 characters coming from these franchises:
Punch-Out!!
Mystery of Murasame Castle
Panel De Pon
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Dillon's Rolling Western
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Custom Robo
Sin & Punishment
The Legendary Starfy

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
guys remember that 3 of the newcomers first revealed for brawl were representing new franchises so i think you're maybe looking into it a little to much

either that or sakurai is going to screw with us and put in an art academy character
Or a Wii Music character. :troll:

EDIT... I just looked up who are the characters in Art Academy... I kinda want to see Vince from Art Academy in Smash somehow... at least he wouldn't be a clone of Bowser. :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It looks like the new series rule applies to stage only franchises too. (i.e. pilotwings).

Wonder if the 3DS version will be on Wuuhuu Island.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
This style of stage totally makes me wanna see an advanced wars stage on the 3DS version.

I also feel like Wuhu Island will appear in both versions, as I feel we might see some stage overlap (Though 3DS Wuhu would be based more on Pilot wings, while Wii U's would be more based on Wii sports resort, possibly having the sword arena above the water as a stage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom