• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai seem to be going for new Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I hope this helps chance for Isaac, Bomberman and Lloyd Irving. Also Shulk because he is pretty popular looking.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Perhaps. I'm just observing past trends. To date, with the exception of Pokemon, which is a major series for Nintendo, we haven't seen a second party series join the playable roster.
Kirby and Earthbound were both developed by Hal Laboratory which is listed as a second party developer for Nintendo. So there's two other second party series in Smash.
It's important to note that Smash Bros 64, Melee and Brawl were developed by Hal Laboratory as well. SSB4 is being developed by Namco Bandai (which is, oddly, enough also listed as a second party). (Interestingly, Level-5 studios is also listed as second party).
And to be fair, I don't think the distinction between 1st and 2nd parties is really justified. It only causes confusion. I'm confused as **** after looking this **** up, Wikipedia may not be trustworthy. But the only other result for this was Nintendo wiki which seems even less trustworthy.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Kirby and Earthbound were both developed by Hal Laboratory which is listed as a second party developer for Nintendo. So there's two other second party series in Smash.
It's important to note that Smash Bros 64, Melee and Brawl were developed by Hal Laboratory as well. SSB4 is being developed by Namco Bandai (which is, oddly, enough also listed as a second party). (Interestingly, Level-5 studios is also listed as second party).
And to be fair, I don't think the distinction between 1st and 2nd parties is really justified. It only causes confusion. I'm confused as **** after looking this **** up, Wikipedia may not be trustworthy. But the only other result for this was Nintendo wiki which seems even less trustworthy.
Ah, I could of swore Hal became first party at some point.

Regardless, Kirby is still definitely a big series for Nintendo as well. As for Mother, well, a user named Ryce on Neogaf, who I hold a lot of respect for, made an interesting point about it. Take it as you will.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94189885

Itoi, Iwata, and Miyamoto were heavily involved in the development of Mother. That alone warrants its inclusion in Smash Bros. The series didn't set the sales charts on fire, but the games are still important to Nintendo's legacy. It also doesn't hurt that the same studio was responsible for developing EarthBound and Smash Bros. The guys at HAL probably felt a special attachment to Ness.

Honestly, I could do without Lucas if I had to cut a character from the roster, but I definitely think Mother deserves representation. It's not nearly on the same level as Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, Chibi-Robo!, or some of the other excluded IPs.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ah, I could of swore Hal became first party at some point.

Regardless, Kirby is still definitely a big series for Nintendo as well. As for Mother, well, a user named Ryce on Neogaf, who I hold a lot of respect for, made an interesting point about it. Take it as you will.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94189885
I wasn't trying to say that they're small franchises. Mother is smaller clearly, but it is important, yes. I am rather just trying to say that these distinctions are sort of unimportant. The only thing that matters is 3rd parties.

I can agree on the premise of Golden Sun not getting a playable rep due to it being a relatively small and unimportant franchise, but I wouldn't write it off just because it's 2nd party. Sakurai already got the rights to the use Isaac from Camelot, after getting the rights it's really up to Sakurai to decide what to do with said character. And he's an enigma. I feel this argument would make more sense had Golden Sun gotten no representation whatsoever in Smash.

Nevertheless, Isaac has a fair chance if Sakurai is looking for a character to add to Smash with some as of yet unseen powers. Earth magic and other generic psyenergy moves like move or grab would be unique in that regard.

I need saki as a playable character.
I feel Saki has a reasonable chance. I mean, Sakurai basically said he wanted Saki playable when he announced him as an AT for Brawl. There was also a recent game in his series for the wii. There seems to be some sort of pattern of looking back a generation for including characters in Smash (Such as Olimar's and Ike's games being for the Gamecube and getting in in Wii Smash, Rosalina, Wii Fit, Little Mac getting games on the Wii and getting in in Wii U Smash). So that may push things in his favor.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to say that they're small franchises. Mother is smaller clearly, but it is important, yes. I am rather just trying to say that these distinctions are sort of unimportant. The only thing that matters is 3rd parties.

I can agree on the premise of Golden Sun not getting a playable rep due to it being a relatively small and unimportant franchise, but I wouldn't write it off just because it's 2nd party. Sakurai already got the rights to the use Isaac from Camelot, after getting the rights it's really up to Sakurai to decide what to do with said character. And he's an enigma. I feel this argument would make more sense had Golden Sun gotten no representation whatsoever in Smash.

Nevertheless, Isaac has a fair chance if Sakurai is looking for a character to add to Smash with some as of yet unseen powers. Earth magic and other generic psyenergy moves like move or grab would be unique in that regard.

I feel Saki has a reasonable chance. I mean, Sakurai basically said he wanted Saki playable when he announced him as an AT for Brawl. There was also a recent game in his series for the wii. There seems to be some sort of pattern of looking back a generation for including characters in Smash (Such as Olimar's and Ike's games being for the Gamecube and getting in in Wii Smash, Rosalina, Wii Fit, Little Mac getting games on the Wii and getting in in Wii U Smash). So that may push things in his favor.
All of the newcomers have had a new game on the wii so I also think Saki has a good chance, Im just afraid.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All of the newcomers have had a new game on the wii so I also think Saki has a good chance, Im just afraid.
You're counting Mega Man 9+ 10 for that I assume. Seriously, Smash 4 is probably the second game ever to give Mega Man classic a 3D model and the first one was some weird crossover top-down shooter named after Cammy's signature attack.

I'm gonna check the release dates real quick to confirm a suspicion.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You're counting Mega Man 9+ 10 for that I assume. Seriously, Smash 4 is probably the second game ever to give Mega Man classic a 3D model and the first one was some weird crossover top-down shooter named after Cammy's signature attack.

Yes I was referring to them.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I thought that Megaman racing game had 3-D models as well. I think it was called Megaman: Battle and Chase, or something like that. It seemed pretty cool. If I get the Megaman X Collection I got to unlock that quickly.

Anyway, time to be more on topic. I would guess that we're still going to see some characters from veteran series. We've already got Rosalina, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got some others soon. But I'd to see some more newer series too. Like Golden Sun and Custom Robo, since they can offer some cool characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Perhaps. I'm just observing past trends. To date, with the exception of Pokemon, which is a major series for Nintendo, we haven't seen a second party series join the playable roster.

To be honest, if it weren't for the Wii game, I don't think Little Mac would be in Smash 4.
I have noticed this, too. But some people seem to be in denial over this and say that it doesn't matter whether characters are first-party or second-party just because we have had exceptions like Kirby, Mother, and Pokemon characters.

But the thing is, Nintendo would be so stupid to not include Pokemon characters in Smash because Pokemon is clearly a cash cow for Nintendo and Pokemon characters would attract kids (most of us we were kids over 15 years ago or not even born yet)... and Kirby and Mother franchises were developed by HAL Laboratory... and HAL Laboratory developed the first three Smash games... so they were biased towards Kirby and Mother characters... Sakurai used to work for HAL Laboratory... and he was hesitant to add more Kirby and Mother characters in Melee after adding Kirby and Ness in Smash 64... and then he went ahead and added more Kirby and Mother characters in Brawl.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Considering Miis, a "retro" character and another 3rd party character are pretty much guaranteed newcomers, I'd say there won't be as many newcomers of franchises already represented as before.

In Melee and Brawl, most characters were from already represented franchises, but it seems most of them are now 'complete'. That is, their main characters are now playable.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Considering we already have Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, and Punch Out represented, I think we won't be seeing any more "other" characters, with the exception of Mii and the one or two retro characters we get.

Getting anymore would seem like a bit much.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
The other thing about Mac is that the series he hails from has retro cred and is actually first party... not to mention Punch Out!! is arguably more well known than any other unrepresented second party series (Starfy, Golden Sun, etc.)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I have noticed this, too. But some people seem to be in denial over this and say that it doesn't matter whether characters are first-party or second-party just because we have had exceptions like Kirby, Mother, and Pokemon characters.

But the thing is, Nintendo would be so stupid to not include Pokemon characters in Smash because Pokemon is clearly a cash cow for Nintendo and Pokemon characters would attract kids (most of us we were kids over 15 years ago or not even born yet)... and Kirby and Mother franchises were developed by HAL Laboratory... and HAL Laboratory developed the first three Smash games... so they were biased towards Kirby and Mother characters... Sakurai used to work for HAL Laboratory... and he was hesitant to add more Kirby and Mother characters in Melee after adding Kirby and Ness in Smash 64... and then he went ahead and added more Kirby and Mother characters in Brawl.
Exceptions mean the premise is flawed. As I said, and your post supports, you can argue the non-inclusion of a character due to the lack of popularity/importance of said franchise. Not based on whether it is 2nd party or first. As you said, Pokemon is so big it doesn't matter that it's second party.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
There's no denial, they added to smash characters for either being popular, historically important, retro or a bunch of other reasons, if your favorite obscure character didn't get in, being second party is the least important factor. Yes, Mac was added for the wii game, but that have nothing to do with who made it but with the fact that a new rep gave him relevance again, otherwise he would be a retro rep. It's really sad that people don't know how to argue anymore and just scream "denial" when someone shows them they are wrong

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So far only 2 character are new from old series unless you count Sheik and Zamus as new ones now.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They can add to the older franchises, but it really would just be tweaks. We see the secondary and tertiary series' of those games (which I base really on sales, popularity, and notoriety I suppose- DK, Metroid, Kirby, being secondary, tertiary being Fire Emblem (possibly getting to secondary), Pikmin, Warioware, etc) and quaternary being things such as Earthbound, FZero, each Retro)

With each game, we get a little further away from the main ones (always with a change or two, over time, to assure they stay fresh), but it trickles down.
We could see a lot of this before those series are all fully represented in proper amount and all allstars.

But with this, we do need to keep growing, adding in other famed characters, and adding to marketing.

Not just new series between each game. Others that may have been overlooked.
Not lookin at Retros, I'd start to say, in no order:

Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Wars, Mii/Find Mii, Rolling Western, Sin and Punishment, Nintendogs, Pilot Wings.

Of course, in addition to these old retros, the unrepresented currentish series, we have third parties.

That, too, can be be seen to have another division, one in which characters of well known series, very Nintendo specific only, could be represented. This is for those such as Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, and ... the scribblenaut man. Others too I'm sure.

All in all, I'd love more series to be represented. It could only help Nintendo at this point, who are seen to have few IPs they just reuse consistently. It is ultimately best for Sakurai, too, if he wants the more varied character representation (since characters borrow mechanics from the entire franchise they are from).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If the Sal leak is true and accounts for all characters then the only series with newcomers are

Mario (Rosalina+Luma)
Pokemon (Greninja)
Kid Icarus (Palutena)
Fire Emblem (Chrom)

With the possible additons of (depending on how you look at things)
Villager (Animal Crossing)
Sheik (Zelda)
Zero Suit Samus (Metroid)
Charizard replacing Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon)
Mii (Smash Bros for some weird reason)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
For new series, I was rooting for Dillon and Daigasso Band Bros. Dillon is out but Barbara is amazingly still up in the air.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If the Sal leak is true and accounts for all characters then the only series with newcomers are

Mario (Rosalina+Luma)
Pokemon (Greninja)
Kid Icarus (Palutena)
Fire Emblem (Chrom)

With the possible additons of (depending on how you look at things)
Villager (Animal Crossing)
Sheik (Zelda)
Zero Suit Samus (Metroid)
Charizard replacing Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon)
Mii (Smash Bros for some weird reason)
what could lead anyone to think that sheik, ZSS and charizard count as newcomers? because they're separate now? that idiotic

and the miis are their as mii i dont think they're there to represent anything bar themselves

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
what could lead anyone to think that sheik, ZSS and charizard count as newcomers? because they're separate now? that idiotic

and the miis are their as mii i dont think they're there to represent anything bar themselves
Well they do take up seperate roster slots now so that's gotta count for something.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Well... It appears that Sakurai focused on New Series this time around. There have been 6 new series represented so far (Animal Crossing, Mega Man, Wii Fit, Punch Out, Pac-man, and Mii) with only 2 series getting additional reps (Mario and Kid Icarus).

If the Gematsu leak is true, there are 2 more new series (Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade) with one more existing series getting a rep (Fire Emblem). In total, that's 8 new series and 3 existing series. Even if we get a few more characters, it looks like the majority of newcomers are from new series. Yay!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well... It appears that Sakurai focused on New Series this time around. There have been 6 new series represented so far (Animal Crossing, Mega Man, Wii Fit, Punch Out, Pac-man, and Mii) with only 2 series getting additional reps (Mario and Kid Icarus).

If the Gematsu leak is true, there are 2 more new series (Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade) with one more existing series getting a rep (Fire Emblem). In total, that's 8 new series and 3 existing series. Even if we get a few more characters, it looks like the majority of newcomers are from new series. Yay!
Pokemon would also be a previous series getting an additional rep (which it rather needs to do every smash game).
Well they do take up seperate roster slots now so that's gotta count for something.
In regards to counting as newcomers, I do not think it counts for something in this deparment. We have it clear on the website that they are not regarded as newcomers by Sakurai.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Earthbound and Kirby are special cases as far as second parties go, since HAL developed Smash 64. It's kind of like Pacman getting into a Namco developed Smash, but with less red tape.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that the reason people say we are running out of characters to add in Smash is because we are running out of popular/important characters from existing franchises to add in Smash. Well, that's why we start adding popular/important characters from new/retro/revived franchises and iconic third-party characters with close ties with Nintendo.

Smash 64 (1999)

Mario series: :mario64: :luigi64:
who's left? Bowser, Peach, Toad, Wario

Donkey Kong series: :dk64:
who's left? Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Donkey Kong Jr.

Zelda series: :link64:
who's left? Zelda, Ganon

Metroid series: :samus64:
who's left? Justin Bailey Samus, Ridley

Yoshi series: :yoshi64:
who's left? Baby Mario, Baby Bowser, Kamek

Kirby series: :kirby64:
who's left? Meta Knight, King Dedede, Gooey

Star Fox series: :fox64:
who's left? Falco, Peppy, Slippy, Wolf

Pokemon series: :pikachu64: :jigglypuff64:
who's left? Meowth, Mewtwo, 1st gen starters

F-Zero series: :falcon64:
who's left? Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow

Mother series: :ness64:
who's left? Ninten, Paula, Jeff, Poo

Melee (2001)

Mario series: :mariomelee: :luigimelee: :bowsermelee: :peachmelee: :drmario:
who's left? Toad, Wario

Donkey Kong series: :dkmelee:

Zelda series :linkmelee: :zeldamelee: :sheikmelee: :ganondorfmelee: :younglinkmelee:
who's left? none at this time

Metroid series: :samusmelee:
who's left: Justin Bailey Samus, Ridley

Yoshi series: :yoshimelee:

Kirby series: :kirbymelee:

Star Fox series: :foxmelee: :falcomelee:
who's left? Peppy, Slippy, Wolf

Pokemon series: :pikachumelee: :jigglypuffmelee: :mewtwomelee: :pichumelee:
who's left? Meowth, 1st gen starters, 2nd gen starters

F-Zero series: :falconmelee:

Mother series: :nessmelee:

Fire Emblem series: :marthmelee: :roymelee:
who's left? Caeda (FE1/3), Alm, Celica (FE2); Sigurd, Seliph (FE4); Leif (FE5)

Retro franchises: :icsmelee: :gawmelee:
what's left? Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Urban Champion, Joy Mech Fight, etc.

Brawl (2008)

Mario series: :mario2: :luigi2: :peach: :bowser2:
who's left? Dr. Mario, Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, many sports/party characters

Donkey Kong series: :dk2: :diddy:
who's left? Dixie Kong, King K. Rool

Zelda series: :link2: :zelda: :sheik: :ganondorf: :toonlink:
who's left? Young Link, Toon Zelda, Tetra, Vaati, Tingle

Metroid series: :samus2: :zerosuitsamus:
who's left? Ridley, Dark Samus

Yoshi series: :yoshi2:

Kirby series: :kirby2: :metaknight: :dedede:

Star Fox series: :fox: :falco: :wolf:
who's left? Krystal, Peppy, Slippy

Pokemon series: :pikachu2: :pt: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: :lucario: :jigglypuff:
who's left? Mewtwo, Pichu, Meowth, Plusle & Minun, Deoxys, Darkrai, 2nd gen starters, 3rd gen starters, 4th gen starters

F-Zero series: :falcon:

Mother series: :ness2: :lucas:
who's left? Ninten

Fire Emblem series: :marth: :ike:
who's left? Roy (FE6), Lyn, Eliwood, Hector (FE7); Eirika, Ephraim (FE8); Micaiah (FE10)
Wario series: :wario:
who's left? Captain Syrup, many WarioWare employees

Retro franchises: :pit: :popo: :rob: :gw:
what's left? Punch-Out!!, Murasame Castle, Duck Hunt, StarTropics, Mole Mania, etc.
New franchises: :olimar:
what's left? Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Starfy, etc.

Third-party companies: :snake: :sonic:
what's left? Capcom, Namco, Square Enix, etc.

Wii U / 3DS (2014)

Mario series: :4mario: :4bowser: :4luigi: :4peach: :rosalina:
who's left? Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, many sports/party characters

Donkey Kong series: :4dk: :4diddy:
who's left? Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Cranky Kong

Zelda series: :4link: :4tlink: :4zelda: :4sheik:
who's left? Ganondorf, Toon Zelda, Tetra, Tingle, Impa

Metroid series: :4samus: :4zss:

Yoshi series: :4yoshi:

Kirby series: :4kirby: :4dedede:
who's left? Meta Knight, Waddle Dee

Star Fox series: :4fox:
who's left? Falco, Wolf, Krystal

Pokemon series: :4pikachu: :4lucario: :4charizard: :4greninja:
who's left? Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Zoroark, 2nd gen starters, 3rd gen starters, 4th gen starters, 5th gen starters

F-Zero series: TBA
who's left? Captain Falcon

Mother series: TBA
who's left? Ness, Lucas

Fire Emblem series: :4marth: :4myfriends:
who's left? Roy (FE6/13), Chrom (FE13), Lucina (FE13), Robin (FE13), Anna (FE13)

Wario series: TBA
who's left? Wario, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, many WarioWare employees

Kid Icarus series: :4pit: :4palutena:
who's left? Medusa, Dark Pit, Magnus, Hades

Retro/Revived franchises: :4littlemac:
what's left? Ice Climber, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Murasame Castle, Duck Hunt, etc.

New franchises: :4villager: :4wiifit: :4olimar: :4mii:
what's left? Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pushmo, Rolling Western, Nintendogs, etc.

Third-party companies: :4megaman: :4sonic: :4pacman:
what's left? Konami, Square Enix, etc.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think that the reason people say we are running out of characters to add in Smash is because we are running out of popular/important characters from existing franchises to add in Smash. Well, that's why we start adding popular/important characters from new/retro/revived franchises and iconic third-party characters with close ties with Nintendo.

Smash 64 (1999)

Mario series: :mario64: :luigi64:
who's left? Bowser, Peach, Toad, Wario

Donkey Kong series: :dk64:

Zelda series: :link64:
who's left? Zelda, Ganon

Metroid series: :samus64:
who's left? Justin Bailey Samus, Ridley

Yoshi series: :yoshi64:

Kirby series: :kirby64:

Star Fox series: :fox64:
who's left? Falco, Peppy, Slippy, Wolf

Pokemon series: :pikachu64: :jigglypuff64:
who's left? Meowth, Mewtwo, 1st gen starters

F-Zero series: :falcon64:

Mother series: :ness64:

Melee (2001)

Mario series: :mariomelee: :luigimelee: :bowsermelee: :peachmelee: :drmario:
who's left? Toad, Wario

Donkey Kong series: :dkmelee:

Zelda series :linkmelee: :zeldamelee: :sheikmelee: :ganondorfmelee: :younglinkmelee:

Metroid series: :samusmelee:
who's left: Justin Bailey Samus, Ridley

Yoshi series: :yoshimelee:

Kirby series: :kirbymelee:

Star Fox series: :foxmelee: :falcomelee:
who's left? Peppy, Slippy, Wolf

Pokemon series: :pikachumelee: :jigglypuffmelee: :mewtwomelee: :pichumelee:
who's left? Meowth, 1st gen starters, 2nd gen starters

F-Zero series: :falconmelee:

Mother series: :nessmelee:

Fire Emblem series: :marthmelee: :roymelee:
who's left? Caeda (FE1/3), Alm, Celica (FE2); Sigurd, Seliph (FE4); Leif (FE5)

Retro franchises: :icsmelee: :gawmelee:
what's left? Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Urban Champion, Joy Mech Fight, etc.

Brawl (2008)

Mario series: :mario2: :luigi2: :peach: :bowser2:
who's left? Dr. Mario, Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, many sports/party characters

Donkey Kong series: :dk2: :diddy:
who's left? Dixie Kong, King K. Rool

Zelda series: :link2: :zelda: :sheik: :ganondorf: :toonlink:
who's left? Young Link, Toon Zelda, Tetra, Vaati, Tingle

Metroid series: :samus2: :zerosuitsamus:

Yoshi series: :yoshi2:

Kirby series: :kirby2: :metaknight: :dedede:

Star Fox series: :fox: :falco: :wolf:
who's left? Krystal, Peppy, Slippy

Pokemon series: :pikachu2: :pt: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: :lucario: :jigglypuff:
who's left? Mewtwo, Pichu, Meowth, Plusle & Minun, Deoxys, Darkrai, 2nd gen starters, 3rd gen starters, 4th gen starters

F-Zero series: :falcon:

Mother series: :ness2: :lucas:
who's left? Ninten

Fire Emblem series: :marth: :ike:
who's left? Roy (FE6), Lyn, Eliwood, Hector (FE7); Eirika, Ephraim (FE8); Micaiah (FE10)
Wario series: :wario:
who's left? Captain Syrup, many WarioWare employees

Retro franchises: :pit: :popo: :rob: :gw:
what's left? Punch-Out!!, Murasame Castle, Duck Hunt, StarTropics, Mole Mania, etc.
New franchises: :olimar:
what's left? Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Starfy, etc.

Third-party companies: :snake: :sonic:
what's left? Capcom, Namco, Square Enix, etc.

Wii U / 3DS (2014)

Mario series: :4mario: :4bowser: :4luigi: :4peach: :rosalina:
who's left? Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, many sports/party characters

Donkey Kong series: :4dk: :4diddy:
who's left? Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Cranky Kong

Zelda series: :4link: :4tlink: :4zelda: :4sheik:
who's left? Ganondorf, Toon Zelda, Tetra, Tingle, Impa

Metroid series: :4samus: :4zss:

Yoshi series: :4yoshi:

Kirby series: :4kirby: :4dedede:
who's left? Meta Knight, Waddle Dee

Star Fox series: :4fox:
who's left? Falco, Wolf, Krystal

Pokemon series: :4pikachu: :4lucario: :4charizard: :4greninja:
who's left? Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Zoroark, 2nd gen starters, 3rd gen starters, 4th gen starters, 5th gen starters

F-Zero series: TBA
who's left? Captain Falcon

Mother series: TBA
who's left? Ness, Lucas

Fire Emblem series: :4marth: :4myfriends:
who's left? Roy (FE6/13), Chrom (FE13), Lucina (FE13), Robin (FE13), Anna (FE13)

Wario series: TBA
who's left? Wario, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, many WarioWare employees

Kid Icarus series: :4pit: :4palutena:
who's left? Medusa, Dark Pit, Magnus, Hades

Retro/Revived franchises: :4littlemac:
what's left? Ice Climber, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Murasame Castle, Duck Hunt, etc.

New franchises: :4villager: :4wiifit: :4olimar: :4mii:
what's left? Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pushmo, Rolling Western, Nintendogs, etc.

Third-party companies: :4megaman: :4sonic: :4pacman:
what's left? Konami, Square Enix, etc.
Don't want to nit pick because most of these characters lists can be argued and amended, but I REALLY feel like Classic Ganon deserves a mention in the Zelda section. F-Zero has few potentials as well (For Wii U.)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't want to nit pick because most of these characters lists can be argued and amended, but I REALLY feel like Classic Ganon deserves a mention in the Zelda section. F-Zero has few potentials as well (For Wii U.)
Classic Ganon is in the Smash 64 Zelda section...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Classic Ganon is in the Smash 64 Zelda section...
But you dropped him once Gannondorf got in. They are not really the same character (different time lines), and Ganon is the villain that represent all of the classic 2D Zelda games. If we have two Links because Sakurai feels we need a young Link to represent the origin of the series, then we also need Pig Ganon.

Good list though, and I can see your points.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About Toon Link, I think it's more to represent the young links, there's more young heroes than adult heroes in the Zelda serie.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm thinking that the SSB5 newcomers will probably be chosen for the same reasons as the SSB4 newcomers. Characters would be chosen based on the uniqueness potential, financial success of their recent games (which is one way of measuring popularity), and to a smaller extent, fan demand on the Internet. I'm thinking that maybe the following characters could be newcomers in SSB5 for these reasons:

Mallo (Pushmo) - the franchise really sells very well, it already has three games out; Mallo could be made into a sumo wrestler, that's unheard of in Smash

Wandering Heroes (Find Mii) - yes, we already have the Mii Swordfighter but they could work like the Ice Climbers where they are a team of Mii Swordfighters but with shields and elemental magic; the shirt colors could affect what type of elemental magic they could have, making them more unique compared to Mii Swordfighter

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - if he isn't in already, he has to be in the next game; what he really needs is a new game that stars him in order to get Sakurai to start considering him

Captain Toad (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker) - he might get moves based on his own games, SMB2, NSMB Wii/U, and 3D World; he already is popular but his own game needs to be financially successful

Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) - one of them might be in SSB4 and the other might get in SSB5

Ridley (Metroid) - his fans will never shut up until he gets in as a playable character

Mewtwo (Pokemon) - see Ridley

New Fire Emblem Lord and New Pokemon - yeah, like Ike and Lucario in Brawl and Chrom and Greninja in SSB4

Other characters like Inkling (Splatoon), Wonder Red (Wonderful 101), and Dillon (Rolling Western) are already unique but they might get in if their franchises are financially successful; they just need to earn their keep like Olimar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mii Fighters did

Simon Belmont (Castlevania) - he's already unique, his franchise is already financially successful, but what he really needs is fan demand on the Internet to catch Sakurai's attention

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom