• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Ok, trolling aside, I really don't get why the april direct wasn't enough for people. I'd like to discuss this in a civil manner. Sakurai clearly told us he was a stage boss back then...don't hate him now or wish that he leaves.
I personally knew it was over during the April direct. But the ones who still thought he had a chance weren't harming me, so I let them speculate, even if I disagreed. They'd have to take the fall eventually, but it didn't fall to me to say they were wrong.

That's one of the number one problems I have with the Smash Bros. fanbase, even ignoring the Ridley debacle. People are far too spiteful to each other when they don't think a character will get in. Telling them they're "delusional" "grasping at straws" or that their character has "no chance" is not a good way to go about things. Even if you don't think they'll get in, there is no need to be rude. It just makes the fanbase even more divided.

Last edited:

The Seventh One

Smash Cadet
I'm glad Sakurai is a real Metroid fan...unlike the Ridley supporters...he understands that keeping the character true to where they come from in Smash is important.
You even play a Metroid game? Nothing about the Other M Ridley clone is "true to where they come from". The clone isn't subservient when hit and it never went meta when exposed to energy(the clone never even went meta in the damn game). Sakurai pulled it all out of his bum just like he did Zero Suit. Smash 5 is going to need a new director, one who is willing to do all franchises justice.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
And suddenly, the Earth shifted into alignment with the universe as the giant purple dragon was finally laid to rest...

On a different note, I have much respect for Mr. Sakurai and team. They had to make many decisions that would affect many fanbases. It is comforting knowing that these situations are being carefully and meticulously thought over.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
I kinda wish there was some other Metroid villain who could be playable to make up for the lack of Ridley. Too bad generic characters like Space Pirates or Toads never seem to make the cut.

Well if Ridley is too big, I guess the only recourse for Ridley fans is to support a different boss. Kraid for SSB5, plz.

(On a more serious note, I don't get why people are surprised at Sakurai saying that Ridley is too big when Sakurai was the person who said he was too big to begin with He's not repeating the meme, guys. He's just restating what he said before)
>LOL Sakurai says Ridley is too big for smash.
>Puts Kraid instead
I must admit that would be a very epic troll.

It's going to be September 11th all over again, except worse.

I'll leave before that happens.
Wait are you comparing a character not being in Smash to 9-11 because if you are that's just messed up.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
This was risky on his part for sure. He kept the character as they should be, and still made them awesome without being playable!

Instead of calling him a bad director for not just shrinking Ridley down and throwing him into the game, that would have sucked...

I respect this man, even after all his Ganondorf fumbles.

the8thark

Smash Lord
>LOL Sakurai says Ridley is too big for smash.
>Puts Kraid instead
I must admit that would be a very epic troll.

It's going to be September 11th all over again, except worse.

I'll leave before that happens.
Wait are you comparing a character not being in Smash to 9-11 because if you are that's just messed up.
It's more like MH17. Shot down over the wilderness.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Rest in piece Ridley.
I look forward to fighting alongside a "giant boss enemy" like yourself. And I'll always have the Smash fan games to play as you.

Man, if Smash is only going to have variations of Samus playable then Dark Samus for nextsmash lets go.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Uh, the date Ridley was de confirmed was September 11th in the initial 3DS streams from Japan, followed by a rage storm much like now. I didn't mean the post as you interpreted it, my apologies.

Amazing what coincidence does.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This was risky on his part for sure. He kept the character as they should be, and still made them awesome without being playable!
I disagree. I fail to see anything awesome about the stage bosses. They're incredibly annoying, and make certain stages borderline unplayable. Maybe I'm wrong, but people like Smash Bros. because they get to play as their favorite characters, not have them show up as an occasional cameo or stage element.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Uh, the date Ridley was de confirmed was September 11th in the initial 3DS streams from Japan, followed by a rage storm much like now. I didn't mean the post as you interpreted it, my apologies.

Amazing what coincidence does.[/quote]

LOL its OK, I just know some people like to joke about messed up stuff. I should have never doubted you Liquid.

You even play a Metroid game? Nothing about the Other M Ridley clone is "true to where they come from". The clone isn't subservient when hit and it never went meta when exposed to energy(the clone never even went meta in the damn game). Sakurai pulled it all out of his bum just like he did Zero Suit. Smash 5 is going to need a new director, one who is willing to do all franchises justice.
^This! How was this not brought up yet. The Ridley in Smash 4 is probably one of the least accurate portrayals of the character ever(though he still looks like a good stage hazard).

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I prefer him a boss to be honest. It's like asking for Master Hand to be playable, which I'm sure was everyone's dream when they were 5 but it's just not feasible.

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
After all this time. After all the resizing already present in the game. After everything Sakurai's said about how Smash "doesn't always stay true to scale," turns out the problem's been Ridley's size the whole time. I know Sakurai was the one who said Ridley might have been a little too big in the first place, but come on. Scale doesn't matter in Smash. Except for Ridley's scale, I guess.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm someone who actually really wants Ridley in the game, but I actually agree with this.

I honestly don't understand why the size argument is dismissed so easily by most supporters, shrink him down and you get one of his most iconic features away. Ridley is capable of casually grabbing people in one hand, and he does it a lot in the games he's from, he couldn't do that if he were smaller. Shrinking him down makes him look fragile and kinda pathetic, his size is one of the biggest reasons he's so intimidating. We all know Smash doesn't stick to canon sizes, as proven by Olimar, but this really isn't the same case. A lot of Ridley's abilities are directly dependant on size, a smaller version would just not do him justice and would not correctly represent him.

I want Ridley to be playable, but not if it means sacrificing what he is as a character. If we could actually get a properly Ridley some day, one that's still huge while working well within the game (which would be hard as **** but still what I want) I'll be happy. Shrunk down Ridley just looks plain bad in most cases.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeesh, this is a mess...

I will say that the size argument's kinda dumb, in my opinion. Mainly because of the inconsistency with Olimar. I mean, yeah, I hear people say "there's no one to compare Olimar's size with," but that's wrong.

But alas, maybe a Villager-esque change of heart can happen down the line. Though I'm just hoping for something like that for Chrom.

That being said, schadenfreude is infraction worthy, people. Just reiterating.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
I'm loving all these tears from these butthurt fans. Yes, Ridley would be cool. During the Smash 4 development process, was he even a possibility ever since he was basically confirmed last year? No. Get over yourself. Sakurai has some valid points and knows what he's saying. You guys have no idea how to play Smash Bros. Bunch of extra dirty casuals, all of you. Kindly leave the community if you're going to ***** and moan all day. Your hurt and suffering pleases me. I laugh at your depression.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I disagree. I fail to see anything awesome about the stage bosses. They're incredibly annoying, and make certain stages borderline unplayable. Maybe I'm wrong, but people like Smash Bros. because they get to play as their favorite characters, not have them show up as an occasional cameo or stage element.
Well I mean, I think like Sakurai concerning Ridley...so I'm glad we got him as a big stage boss...I didn't want a giant playable character...and I didn't want a shrunken down version either...

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Yeesh, this is a mess...

I will say that the size argument's kinda dumb, in my opinion. Mainly because of the inconsistency with Olimar. I mean, yeah, I hear people say "there's no one to compare Olimar's size with," but that's wrong.

But alas, maybe a Villager-esque change of heart can happen down the line. Though I'm just hoping for something like that for Chrom.

That being said, schadenfreude is infraction worthy, people. Just reiterating.
Really? You're an admin yet you talk like any useless Ridley fan. Olimars size works. There's no one to compare him to at all. End of story.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
People who don't care about ****ing Mewtwo.
Most of the Smash community seems to care and I think we can all agree that he deserves his spot back.

I'm loving all these tears from these butthurt fans. Yes, Ridley would be cool. During the Smash 4 development process, was he even a possibility ever since he was basically confirmed last year? No. Get over yourself. Sakurai has some valid points and knows what he's saying. You guys have no idea how to play Smash Bros. Bunch of extra dirty casuals, all of you. Kindly leave the community if you're going to ***** and moan all day. Your hurt and suffering pleases me. I laugh at your depression.
What do you gain by being such a jerk? If anyone should leave the Smash community its you.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Really? You're an admin yet you talk like any useless Ridley fan. Olimars size works. There's no one to compare him to at all. End of story.
Gotta agree here, Olimar argument is pointless. So is Bowser's as his size is always changing.

Stop trying to find excuses...Sakurai is right, and provides perfect logic and reasoning.

Plus at the end of the day, he can do anything he wants.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
I kinda wish there was some other Metroid villain who could be playable to make up for the lack of Ridley. Too bad generic characters like Space Pirates or Toads never seem to make the cut.

Well if Ridley is too big, I guess the only recourse for Ridley fans is to support a different boss. Kraid for SSB5, plz.

(On a more serious note, I don't get why people are surprised at Sakurai saying that Ridley is too big when Sakurai was the person who said he was too big to begin with He's not repeating the meme, guys. He's just restating what he said before)
Sakurai never once said Ridley was too big until this point. His only prior quote on Ridley was that "he would be possible, but we'd have to make him slow. would that be alright?" or something along those lines back in the brawl era. Too Big was never uttered by Sakurai until this interview.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Well I mean, I think like Sakurai concerning Ridley...so I'm glad we got him as a big stage boss...I didn't want a giant playable character...and I didn't want a shrunken down version either...
That's fair.

I'm just super picky. Would rather have nothing than something I consider unsatisfactory.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Most of the Smash community seems to care and I think we can all agree that he deserves his spot back.
And your point is?

Most of the community =/= everybody. Not everybody cares about Mewtwo and I don't see how it being released has anything to do with Ridley.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
But hey, Ridley still looks amazing as a stage boss and at least he's still in the game regardless so everyone should be happy.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
And your point is?

Most of the community =/= everybody. Not everybody cares about Mewtwo and I don't see how it being released has anything to do with Ridley.
I was just saying we should be happy about Mewtwo is all, but your right that it really doesn't have a place in this conversation.

But hey, Ridley still looks amazing as a stage boss and at least he's still in the game regardless so everyone should be happy.
Ridley fans are happy just a bit disappointed is all. Many of us have wanted this character since Melee. :ohwell:

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
What.

Anyways, it's not a size issue, dude. It's about being able to accurately represent the character. He gave legitimate reasons as to why Ridley couldn't work if they cut him down.
I think the same could be said for Chibi Robo NEVER being playable. Unlike Olimar, who is roughly the same size, Chibi Robo is based around him being tiny. If Sakurai buffed up the robo and made him Pikachu size, Chibi Robo's traits and specialty would be lost in translation.

Come on, guys. We should have been advocating for Anthony or Adam for another Metroid rep.
Yeah, I went there. But Anthony would have been cool with his giant blaster.
I maintain that the "MB" form of Mother Brain would make for a really awesome Smash character. An insane robot girl with telekinetic powers? Sign me up. Add to that its away to get Mother Brain, Metroid's OTHER iconic bad guy in the game... But everyone on thelse internet treated Other M like cancer so that's a small dream I can say goodbye to.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

The picture I posted, and you quoted, shows Olimar's entire body fitting in ROB's eye socket.

And lol I'm not an admin.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I don't care if Ridley is ever playable. However, Sakurai's reasoning is flawed. He claims Ridley would stray to much from the original design of the character if he was smaller and wingless yet Ganondorf is still throwing Falcon Punches left and right. GG Sakurai.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
After wanting and campaigning for this character for 11 years we just had the man running the series parrot back a faulty argument that's been defused time and time again as his official reason why it's never happening.

Everyone should be happy my ass.

Fully in support of someone else taking the reins for Smash 5, because it's not happening with him in control. Plenty of other people can do just as good a job as he does. I'm grateful for what Sakurai's done so far, but he's hurting the series as much as he's helping it.

Last edited:

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
After wanting and campaigning for this character for 11 years we just had the man running the series parrot back a faulty argument that's been defused time and time again as his official reason why it's never happening.

Everyone should be happy my ***.

Fully in support of someone else taking the reins for Smash 5, because it's not happening with him in control. Plenty of other people can do just as good a job as he does. I'm grateful for what he's done so far, but he's done enough.
Well he deconfirmed it in April, so I don't see why people are crying now.

This thread is like:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Rest in piece Ridley.
I look forward to fighting alongside a "giant boss enemy" like yourself. And I'll always have the Smash fan games to play as you.

Man, if Smash is only going have variations of Samus playable then Dark Samus for nextsmash lets go.
Super Smash Bros 5 line up if Sakurai has his way:

AND

AND

AND

AND

AND

AND

AND

Both the normal versions and the dark versions of each character Sakurai would have as separate clone characters of each other with just a skin change. So that's a normal and a dark full character slot taken up where one character with 2 skins would have been suffice.I think you get my point. I don't need to keep going on.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Everyone should be happy my ***.

Fully in support of someone else taking the reins for Smash 5, because it's not happening with him in control. Plenty of other people can do just as good a job as he does. I'm grateful for what he's done so far, but he's done enough.
You can say whatever you want, I never really cared about Ridley anyways.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm going to leave one last bit here.

Sakurai stated shrinking Ridley down wouldn't be Ridley anymore. Debatable, but I'm not going to focus on the size issue, instead, let's take a look at what Ridley does as a stage boss.

He flys around, doing attacks and whatnot. He'll join sides with whoever attacks him enough. The real Ridley would never do such a thing. He doesn't bat an eye when the same character he's fighting side-by-side with backstabs him for an easy point. The real Ridley would sooner kill the other first. Not to mention both Metal Face and Yellow Devil don't join anyone's side, so these facts are even more glaring.

So even though Sakurai supposedly tried to keep Ridley true to original portrayals, he ended up being a hypocrite anyway.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
obviously it's not a faulty argument. since that's literally the reason he wasn't made a character, it appears to be a 100% accurate argument

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Well he deconfirmed it in April, so I don't see why people are crying now.
The deconfirmation isn't what bothers me. As you said yourself, we've known about it for months. What bothers me is that the one faulty argument that's been an annoyance to Ridley fans since day 1 ended up being the one thing that kept him out of a playable slot. It's infuriating to know that something that's been proven wrong with visual evidence and mockups hundreds of times ended up being why there's not a Ridley subsection to these boards right now.

You can say whatever you want, I never really cared about Ridley anyways.
Then don't say "everyone should be happy" and patronize us when you know damn well there are people who won't be.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
ITT: Subtle I told you so's.

I'm freaking salty about this. People are definitely right in saying that Ridley will never be playable while Sakurai is still the director. Every time we said that "Too Big" was a terrible argument and that Sakurai would see past it, we were wrong. I was finally content with Ridley not getting in, but learning that is was the reason is just infuriating.

Also it seems like most of the Ridley supporters aren't posting here. I can see why.

So no, I will not be happy with Boss Ridley. Enjoy my tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom