• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: “I’ve Passed My Limit” for Developing Super Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
If Smash Bros. we're to lose its casual appeal in favour of something similar to Melee or Project M, that would be the day I stop playing Smash Bros.
I hope you know that the casual fanbase will buy the game no matter what, if it says Smash Bros on it, the casual fanbase will buy it, it is the competitive audience that is keeping the game alive and that is the audience smash should appeal too. Why do you think Melee was so popular because it was a game both audiences can play and Brawl AND Smash4 (yes I know I said it) don't appeal to those audiences equally (Sure there is competitive audiences for those games but they (Brawl) don't last as long as Melee, that is why Brawl is dead because it did not appeal to competitive audiences).

Think about it that way.

My point is, if Smash ever becomes this, then Smash will die for many of us.
Read above

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
All of this makes me wish we could do something nice for Sakurai. Back in the April Direct, when I saw his expression near the end, I couldn't help but feel really bad for him.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Eh, that's nice Sakurai. Go ahead and take a little break and get some sleep.

He's tired. The Bamco people are probably just as tired, if not much moreso than him. We're human, it happens. Once they all get some downtime, they'll be fine and can keep on truckin'. The nice thing is that in their downtime, they can pat themselves on the backs and revel in the gigantic success and aftermath of their hard work by swimming in an endless sea of rightfully earned "Thank Yous" and paychecks.

They'll all feel a lot better come November 21.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I hope you know that the casual fanbase will buy the game no matter what, if it says Smash Bros on it, the casual fanbase will buy it, it is the competitive audience that is keeping the game alive and that is the audience smash should appeal too. Why do you think Melee was so popular because it was a game both audiences can play and Brawl AND Smash4 (yes I know I said it) don't appeal to those audiences equally (Sure there is competitive audiences for those games but they (Brawl) don't last as long as Melee, that is why Brawl is dead because it did not appeal to competitive audiences).

Think about it that way.

Read above
Please don't start this.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I think for the next Smash Bros. game, he should take a position like Miyamoto where he just oversees the project.

Also, it probably would have helped a lot if he didn't have to make two Smash Bros. games at once.

But I commend Sakurai. It has to take a lot of work and effort to make a Smash Bros. game. I mean, I sort of make games as a hobby, but I'm mostly just having fun with it. I don't have any final games that I can show anyone. It takes a lot of work to make even just a relatively simple game by yourself. So I greatly appreciate and admire the work that Sakurai has done making all of the Smash Bros. games. I believe, for Smash 64, it was pretty much just Sakurai and Iwata that made it, wasn't it?

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Warning Received
There was a sad video here, but simply posting videos/gifs isn't allowed.

You need to have substance in your post.

Sincerely, the Mod Squad.

Still... T.T

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
I feel for him, it must be hard working that much only to see a select few whine about what's not in the game.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Only 40 hours straight? Pfffff what a baby.

Just kidding.

I totally respect the guy. Smash has positively affected my social life. I've made lots of friends thanks to his games. I admire the hell out of Sakurai. Smash bros have more value than most games. I mean I never get tired of playing of smash. I don't give a **** about little things like clones and stuff like that. Those are just bonuses. So much of the **** he puts into his games has so much thought and he always pushes the limits of the hardware he's working on. The guy's a genius and he'll always have a special place in my heart <3

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Maybe its cause I don't follow other games as close as Smash but I think Sakurai is one the hardest workers in video games.

I'm really starting to think the Wii U version should've been released later, let the 3ds sit on its own for awhile. I guess its like games that come out on both gens of consoles, but while most would just choose when or the other people want both which lessens the weaker version.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Oh well. Nintendo will hire someone else to fill his spot. Life moves on.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Some, or any human, must have large amounts of care and dedication to his fans to even consider DLC after having to go through harsh schedule times on some character 6 second animations.
We applaud you Masahiro Sakurai.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai really does care about this series, possibly more than any other series he's worked on.

I treasure these games, and they're some of my favorite games of all time.

But Sakurai.

Stop working on them.

It is literally killing you.

I don't want Smash to lead to a miserable life or an early death.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like the idea of him being a consultant if he seriously is going to have trouble playtesting a later game. I appreciate the hard work he has done, but he needs to also trust his team more.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Sakurai should take a break. Some Fans can be so rude saying Sakurai is a bad director for not add this X character or the game don't play like melee, you guys that do this need to grow up you don't have to buy the game if you don't like it. I don't hear this from any other fan base, the fact he is giving you a game with 49 characters out the gate and not taking some them out and selling them for late as DLC is a achievement. If It was me there will be no smash 4 sad Christmas for everyone.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Sakurai really should retire. His hand is a mutulated claw at this point.

There are plenty of people who can take his place as director. Smash will live on.

Take a rest, man. You've earned it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Between this and his arm injury Sakurai absolutely needs to stop making Smash games. Our bodies aren't made for this kind of workload, and Sakurai has gone through it 3 times now (64 was a smaller project), and I know he's saying he's doing his best to keep his health intact but with as few breaks as he gets it's not enough, and let's not even begin talking about his mental health either. Sakurai is the last man I want to see go down because of stress, while I don't agree with everything he does I really enjoy him as a developer and as a person, more so than any other person in the industry, I owe my love for video games to him so I only wish the best for him.

When he passed on the reigns for Kirby he still assumed the role of advisor on Amazing Mirror, I believe he could have a similar role with the next Smash to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible for whoever that might take over for him.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I hope this makes all the whiny and ungrateful idiots feel like crap.

Thank you Sakurai for all your hard word. Smash will always be my number one series!

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071

He'll be back, I'm pretty sure. But he should definitely take a long break. After these two games, he deserves it more than anyone. We won't be needing a new Smash for a long time now.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
He can be the spokes person. Let others do the dirty work. Curious to see how drastic Smash5 will change

the8thark

Smash Lord
Sakurai should take a break. Some Fans can be so rude saying Sakurai is a bad director for not add this X character or the game don't play like melee, you guys that do this need to grow up you don't have to buy the game if you don't like it. I don't hear this from any other fan base, the fact he is giving you a game with 49 characters out the gate and not taking some them out and selling them for late as DLC is a achievement. If It was me there will be no smash 4 sad Christmas for everyone.
You do not know the large number of people who ***** at Aonuma for not putting Groose in Hyrule Warriors as a playable character.

CoryCory

Smash Rookie
Reading this made me think back to that one interview where that guy asked on how Sakurai should be doing Smash Bros to Sakurai's quip of "Have you ever made a game?". It puts things that much more in perspective and with that said I have the utmost respect for him to make the best game he can make for the masses of all walks of life. Though he's pushing his limits in an insane way, sometimes that's what it has to take to give oneself a sense of comfort or drive to push forward in a project. I know people who do this sort of stuff (Though not on the same level) to make the best possible product in any medium they make.

He's well deserved a break and not just a few days but maybe a good few months, really! Enjoy life and family now that's the product is looming. People are going to enjoy it and enjoy it for quite some time until the hype train needs to roll again and the next Smash is upon us.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread has pretty much gone downhill. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom