• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: “I’ve Passed My Limit” for Developing Super Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Sakurai: “I’ve Passed My Limit” for Developing Super Smash Bros
"I’m not young anymore so I can’t push myself like I did then, but I feel that the business due to the sheer amount of features [in the games] was much greater this time around. My routine was trying to complete my daily work every day while doing my best to maintain my health day after day. ... Towards the end, there were instances where I would work for 40 hours straight and then take 4 hours off to go home and sleep."
"I believe I should be thankful that I am given such funds to be able to use such iconic characters and content that represent Japanese games with such freedom, and have multitudes of people across the world play with them."
"I wish I had time to think about what I want to do from here, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to be the case."
Sources:
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakura...-for-developing-super-smash-bros#.VFKHiIcaW8U
http://kotaku.com/the-creator-of-smash-bros-needs-a-vacation-1652668180

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Sakurai...... I'm so sorry! Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. ˚‧º·(˚ ˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅ )‧º·˚

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
His hard work is definitely worthy of praise and admiration. His decisions may not be entirely agreeable at times, but you can't say he isn't dedicated. He has all of my respect.

Anyway, he really needs to reconsider his work habits in future projects, especially Smash. He needs to stay conscious about his health, especially considering he's getting older. He is really in need of a well-deserved break once the project is definitely finished.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think people are overestimating what he's saying here.

He never said he definitely won't return, just that he needs a break.

People do return from breaks eventually. Kind of the nature of them.

While it's definitely a possibility that he won't be in charge of the next game, it's not a definite situation.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think people are overestimating what he's saying here.

He never said he definitely won't return, just that he needs a break.

People do return from breaks eventually. Kind of the nature of them.

While it's definitely a possibility that he won't be in charge of the next game, it's not a definite situation.
This exactly.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Yep, Sakurai needs a vacation, won't be surprised if he gets a nice long vacation after Smash Wii U releases, the good part is he won't really need to be there much for the DLC.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Sakurai could just take a special assistant role for the next game. He could call himself lead developer still. Either way it'd be him handing out all the dev work to everyone else and he'd just ok everything good and reject everything bad and give his rough input on it all. No more working 40+ hours in a row. It'd be a totally different game though as it would not be Super Sakurai Bros anymore. It'd be more like a collaboration of all the developers with Sakurai's final ok on everything.

This is not a bad thing as the series eventually has only 2 options.
- It dies.
- it transitions from Sakurai to others as he can't work forever making Smash games. He has to retire some day.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Sakurai should really take a long break, as others here have said. He deserves it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sakurai could just take a special assistant role for the next game. He could call himself lead developer still. Either way it'd be him handing out all the dev work to everyone else and he'd just ok everything good and reject everything bad and give his rough input on it all. No more working 40+ hours in a row. It'd be a totally different game though as it would not be Super Sakurai Bros anymore. It'd be more like a collaboration of all the developers with Sakurai's final ok on everything.

This is not a bad thing as the series eventually has only 2 options.
- It dies.
- it transitions from Sakurai to others as he can't work forever making Smash games. He has to retire some day.
I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with you on this. After all, he said that Brawl was supposed to be the last Smash game and the higher ups from Nintendo probably forced him to work on Smash Wii U/3DS to begin with. It's the best decision for an aging mind like him and the franchise's massive fanbase.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
This is why I respect and admire this man, he probably had a LOT of weight on his back: Demanding fans, deadlines, development, debugging, testing, importing, rendering, etc. plus his health and work stress; he may look like always young, but he's a human like us, he has a life, family and stuff.
Sakurai needs a deserved vacation and at least 8 hours of sleep too, not only because its good for his health but also because he already did an amazing job.

Thanks for sharing this OP. I hope more people reads this article.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with you on this. After all, he said that Brawl was supposed to be the last Smash game and the higher ups from Nintendo probably forced him to work on Smash Wii U/3DS to begin with. It's the best decision for an aging mind like him after all.
He never said Brawl was going to be the last Smash game, he said he made it like it was the last game in a series. That doesn't mean it was literally going to be the last Smash game, especially since that is something he has no control over.

What he was referring to when he said he "made it like it was the last game" was the tone of the game. Having an epic story with the epic theme music, the grittier art style, third party guests, etc. Brawl is the most "grand" game in the series. Even Smash 4 doesn't top it in that regard, since it has no story and it's tone is more energetic, fun, and competitive.

Brawl was meant to be really immersive too, but Smash 4 loses some of it's immersion especially since there is technically in-game product placement.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It's definitely possible that Sakurai won't be working on the next Smash game. He's probably not working on Smash anymore period. Smash needs to live on, however. I wonder where the franchise will be headed from here on out. Still, I'm greatful for all of the blood, sweat and tears Sakurai put into the franchise. I wouldn't be who I am now if he hadn't created Smash. I doubt anyone on Smashboards would be the same person they are today. So I can say the same. Sakurai needs a long break and just enjoy life for a few years at least.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Brawl was meant to be really immersive too, but Smash 4 loses some of it's immersion especially since there is technically in-game product placement.
Melee had advertising it it for other games as well. Pokemon and Roy/Marth were biggest offenders there. But there are others. All SSB games will have advertising in it for other games. If it helps Nintendo get more game sales then it's a good thing.

He never said Brawl was going to be the last Smash game, he said he made it like it was the last game in a series.
In a way he was right. The original Smash trilogy was done. And 4 is hopefully the start of a new trilogy.

Last edited:

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
I knew this would happen
Why do you think Namco is helping with Smash4, to take the baton and move on with Smash. This is definitely Sakurai's last Smash game, it is obvious at this point. That is why Namco is gonna take over from there on out.
This might be a good thing though, maybe we will actually get a non-causal smash game :D

the8thark

Smash Lord
I knew this would happen
Why do you think Namco is helping with Smash4, to take the baton and move on with Smash. This is definitely Sakurai's last Smash game, it is obvious at this point. That is why Namco is gonna take over from there on out.
This might be a good thing though, maybe we will actually get a non-causal smash game :D
The day Smash games lose their low barrier to entry and easy to play but hard to master mantra is the day Smash as a series dies.
I (and so many others) play smash because we don't have to memorise a ton of move combos just to even start playing the game.

Last edited:

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
The day Smash games lose their low barrier to entry and easy to play but hard to master mantra is the day Smash as a series dies.
I (and so many others) play smash because we don't have to memorise a ton of move combos just to even start playing the game.
Did I say I wanted smash to be like that, no.
I said a non-casual smash game, ala Melee is a perfect example, hell even Project M even though that is a mod. Smash is not about memorizing combos no idea where you got that idea from one small sentence.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Melee had advertising it it for other games as well. Pokemon and Roy/Marth were biggest offenders there. But there are others. All SSB games will have advertising in it for other games. If it helps Nintendo get more game sales then it's a good thing.

In a way he was right. The original Smash trilogy was done. And 4 is hopefully the start of a new trilogy.
By "product placement" I don't just mean simply having characters from other games. I mean how the 3DS version literally has an in-game advertisement for the Wii U version, and vice versa. And how the Amiibo figures are advertised in-game, and how Masterpieces now contain links to the full games on the eShop.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
While I may not agree with all of his choices gameplay wise i do respect the hardwork and love for the series. He really should take a long break.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I said a non-casual smash game, ala Melee is a perfect example, hell even Project M even though that is a mod. Smash is not about memorizing combos no idea where you got that idea from one small sentence.
My point is, if Smash ever becomes this, then Smash will die for many of us.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I knew this would happen
Very true. That's a pretty big point you got there. I just hope Namco doesn't mess anything up if they intend to make it more competitive and that Sakurai is ok with it. I'm all for another fast paced Smash game with exiting gameplay.
My thoughts exactly. Namco better not mess up and change things up too much. I don't want Smash to become a traditional fighter. Monthly releases would be terrible as well. The most times a Smash game should be released per console generation is 2, and even that's a streatch. They also need to put effort into their work when it comes to Smash. Lots of it.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
If Smash Bros. we're to lose its casual appeal in favour of something similar to Melee or Project M, that would be the day I stop playing Smash Bros.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
If Smash Bros. we're to lose its casual appeal in favour of something similar to Melee or Project M, that would be the day I stop playing Smash Bros.
Same could be said for a lot of people when thinking "If Smash Bros. were to lose its competitive appeal..."

Doesn't stop people from playing Smash altogether though, they just stick with the competitive games.

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai was always the type to push his limits no matter how tough the odd are for him. I always admired his hardwork, determination, and commitment toward Smash, and I look forward to seeing his next project. For now, he should take a break, since he deserved it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Smash 4 is easily his best work when viewed from a reasonable, unbiased standpoint, that tries to appeal to all player spectrums. If you ask me, it appeals to all of them except the most intense and hardcore competitive players that like the ridiculous tech. He's added so much to this installment(and of course, there is still DLC) that quite frankly I don't feel it fair to DEMAND MOAR when the roster is quite fine in my eyes except for :4darkpit:

I'll definitely wait for Sakurai as long as needed.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Same could be said for a lot of people when thinking "If Smash Bros. were to lose its competitive appeal..."

Doesn't stop people from playing Smash altogether though, they just stick with the competitive games.
Hmmmm, that's very true.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Well the difference here is that if Smash lost all of it's competitive appeal, but competitive players still enjoy it as a party game, they simply get to play at a less intensive level.

But if Smash lost all of it's fun factor, people would have to step up their level of dedication just to enjoy it at all. Which is a lot tougher than winding down for a more dumbed down game.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Well the difference here is that if Smash lost all of it's competitive appeal, but competitive players still enjoy it as a party game, they simply get to play at a less intensive level.

But if Smash lost all of it's fun factor, people would have to step up their level of dedication just to enjoy it at all. Which is a lot tougher than winding down for a more dumbed down game.
Implying that casuals can't enjoy melee.... a casual can play a competitive game and turn on items and still have just as much fun, because they don't notice all these higher level mechanics, having the game be casual completely breaks it for a competitive gamer, they won't be enjoying it at a "less intensive level". Anyways, I think Smash 4 is great. Just need some balancing updates from time to time probably.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh Sakurai, you work so hard for us.

I honestly feel he pushes himself WAY too hard x_x

Oh, also, Melee can be casual. I used to play it as such. Pssh, I didn't even know what teching was, let alone wavedashing. (I DID tech off walls, but that was cuz of just playing the game)

ANYWAY, the point is, if they want to make a Melee 2.0, good for them.

If it's still a good Smash game, I'd but it. But I feel the MOST games Smash needs is one per console generation. Definitely.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Warning Received
In all seriousness, Sakurai did a great job with this series, but like all of us, he's not getting any younger. His working habits haven't exactly made things any better. Working for 40 hours straight for a consecutive time-frame will erode anyone in time.

Nothing from this is definitive, however. All I'm getting from this personally is that Sakurai needs a break. After that break, if his health issues have subsided enough, he may return. If he doesn't, then it's not the end of the world either. New blood means new ideas, and new ideas mean new experiences. I often wonder if Sakurai bringing Namco into this mix was a way to expose people to how the game works, to prepare them for the next instalment.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wow, I had NO idea that sad soundtrack existed in Pokemon. That's so cool.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Implying that casuals can't enjoy melee.... a casual can play a competitive game and turn on items and still have just as much fun, because they don't notice all these higher level mechanics, having the game be casual completely breaks it for a competitive gamer, they won't be enjoying it at a "less intensive level". Anyways, I think Smash 4 is great. Just need some balancing updates from time to time probably.
But the statements made previously were not referencing Melee, but a game that literally only cares about competitive play.

Since this thread involves hypothesising what would happen if Sakurai left. A Smash game that literally only cares about competitive play would never happen with Sakurai around.

Please remember what was being discussed before making assumptions over what I was trying to imply.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Why quote what a moderator has removed from the other post? Another post that received a warning too.
It was a fitting tune, that's why. It wasn't the main point of the post anyway, as I wasn't finished with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom