• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu Moveset Analysis

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So, this guy keeps saying that Ryu will get additional bonuses for initiating moves like in the original street fighter. Can somebody tell us non Street Fighter players what the button commands for the original Street Fighter were, so that we could know how to actually use Ryu?
:GCD::GCDR::GCR: + :GCB: = EX Hadouken
:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: + :GCB: = Red Fireball

:GCR::GCD::GCDR: + :GCB: = EX Shoryuken
:GCD::GCDL::GCL: + :GCB: = EX Tatsumaki

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I don't think so. Shinku Hadouken and Shin Shoryuken were his ultra moves from SSF4 to USF4. Excluding Gen, every character in those games only had two ultras.
That's a good point. I was mainly thinking of his Shinku Tatsumaki in MVC and how it had a black hole effect that could work. I didn't think about his Ultras.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Looks like even the VOD was taken down. Does anyone have the video downloaded?

UnsuspectingVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blockyraccoon
3DS FC
0430-8629-1274
INCOMPLETE
Source: Stream
Bear with me as I try to get these moves right. Also, if you could help me figure some out that would be amazing!

(EDIT 1: |6:13| I'm going to take a break, it's more exhausting than you think. :p )

MOVEMENT:

Walk:

Double Jump:

Back Roll:

------------------------------------------------------------

JABS/SMASHES/TILTS:

Jab: (From what I see, it's like Villager's that it's just one jab continuously.)

Forward Smash:

Up Smash:

Down Smash:

Forward Tilt:

Dash Attack: (Look really close to the right and you'll see it)

-----------------------------------------------------

Aerials:

Nair/Fair?:

Dair/Nair?:

Bair: (Definitely)

-----------------------------------------------------

SPECIALS:

Up-B/Recovery:

Neutral B (Most likely):

Side B (Most Likely):

Down B:

------------------------------------------------------------

Throws:

Down Throw:

Back Throw:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ledge Getups:

Attacking Getup:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Found some footage on YouTube. Nothing great, though...

Edit: Jesus Christ allot of his move have some seriously low frame counts it seems.

Last edited:
Assuming you can just roll the analogue stick, the Hadouken variations and EX Tatsumaki shouldn't be hard at all. EX Shoryuken on the other might require some practice.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ryu is practically a street fighter character in smash.

lol @ collarbone breaker being good at shield breaking to compensate for smash's lack of high/low mixups. Crazy.

Khao

Smash Lord
So I keep hearing about the Street Fighter inputs doing EX moves, and I know from the tips that it's basically a fact.

But has anyone actually seen them? Cause they haven't been on any of the videos I've watched.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I keep hearing about the Street Fighter inputs doing EX moves, and I know from the tips that it's basically a fact.

But has anyone actually seen them? Cause they haven't been on any of the videos I've watched.
Well, if Nintendo hadn't tooken down those in my previous post you could have seen them. Alas, it was bound to happen eventually.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
From the streams, it looks like his recovery is even worse than Little Mac's, God forbid.
his recovery is better than macs but worse than mario's from what i saw. side B doesn't put you into helpless, so ex Tatsumaki (which confirmed will send you farther) to Up B seems to be his go to depending on the situation. He's going to be good recovering horizontally but bad vertically (kinda like DK now that I think about it).

Edit: OH! And from what I read Hadouken propels Ryu forward a bit too. I dunno if it's certain variations but cool nontheless

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
So do EX moves have any downsides whatsoever? From what I've read so far, they just seem better to the regular specials in any way to the point that doing the regular specials means you're doing it wrong. And I just can't believe that, it seems very un-Sakurai.

One thing that also has me stupidly confused is that... I've seen Ryu doing more different moves than it makes sense.

I've seen two different jabs. Two different Ttilts. Two different Dtilts.

How the heck does this guy work?

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So do EX moves have any downsides whatsoever? From what I've read so far, they just seem better to the regular specials in any way to the point that doing the regular specials means you're doing it wrong. And I just can't believe that, it seems very un-Sakurai.

One thing that also has me stupidly confused is that... I've seen Ryu doing more different moves than it makes sense.

I've seen two different jabs. Two different Ttilts. Two different Dtilts.

How the heck does this guy work?
On the point of the two Dtilts, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of pressing it once for the first d tilt and pressing it again once it connects for the second d tilt as well.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Inputting the motions means they'll be slower to start up. (Could potentially mess up your spacing in the context of Smash, who knows)

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
so ryu`s nair and down smash both only hit in one direction? not covering both sides? that sucks now im never gonna be able to punish rolls with him

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
The tips make it seem like you get a different attack if you tap or hold A. Actually I only know of d-tilt working this way

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Last edited:

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
For people wondering about the variations on moves, in Street Fighter characters have Near and Far versions of attacks. For instance, the jab; when character are near, Ryu will throw a quick elbow, and when they are far he will throw a straight arm punch. There are also attacks that change based on whether you tap or hold the button. Either or both of these concepts could have been included.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
For people wondering about the variations on moves, in Street Fighter characters have Near and Far versions of attacks. For instance, the jab; when character are near, Ryu will throw a quick elbow, and when they are far he will throw a straight arm punch. There are also attacks that change based on whether you tap or hold the button. Either or both of these concepts could have been included.
wow, did not even consider this. ryu's moveset is amazing

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Does Ryu's Down Smash only hit in front of him? I could have sworn he done a spinning sweep kick in SF before.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I've actually seen him throw both the quick elbows and the quick punches to the air, without hitting anything.

But yeah, from the sound of it, it's all part of a tap vs hold system, kinda like the GameBoy Color version of Street Fighter 2 I guess.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
No customs? Not a problem for Ryu.

That invincible, lagless Shoryuken variation sounds like a dream. I guess the weak point is that he goes so high up that whiffing gives the opponent ample time to retaliate?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
To be fair, it looks like if you jump and do the qcb Tatsu input, you do the roflcopter from Super Street Fighter IV

(can't find a video of it in a not modded game but it's basically this)

Either way I saw something that looked the exact same on one of the gameplay videos where he rose up diagonally like this doing the Tatsu.

EDIT: Here's what I mean in Smash Terms. If the embed timestamp doesn't work, just watch at 12:44, happens about there

Reposting this here since it's a bit more pertinent here on the note of recovery. Plus his Hadoken (probably EX) glides him in the air a bit as well, so I imagine his recovery is a lot better than it looks

Also on the note of different moves, I think it only affects his tilts. I'll use SF images to highlight the move

Tap Forward Tilt
Standing Far MK.

Hold Forward Tilt
Standing Far HK

Tap Up Tilt
Standing Close LP

Hold Up Tilt
Forward MP

Tap Down Tilt
Crouching LK

Hold Down Tilt
Crouching MK

Also his Jab Combo Chain appears to be St. Far LP-St. Far MP-St. Far HP

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
No customs? Not a problem for Ryu.
Because of EX Moves, Ryu is probably going to be the only DLC character with "customs". And the only character on the roster that can have all of his "custom variations" at once, for that matter.

...plus more attacks overall because he can hold the A button to change some of his ground attacks.

Sucks for the other DLC characters, but oh well!

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or does Ryu seem to use the same jump physics as in Street Fighter (Well, aside from obvious inclusion of double jumps)? I don't ever recall seeing him change his direction midjump to any substantial degree, and he only seemed to be able to jump either straight up, at around a 80 degree angle, and at a 45 degree angle.

That's going to seriously effect how he plays if it's true.

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Posted this in the social

Shinku Hadouken has a vacuum effect
Only one Hadouken on screen at a time
Normal Hadouken does 5%
Strong Hadouken does 6%
Shankunetsu Hadouken hits five times and does 8%
Tatsu appears to do different damage % depending on when the move hits. Seems stronger near the end. Beginning can hit opponents who miss a tech.
Weak Tatsu does 10%
Strong Tatsu does 12%
Beginning of Weak Tatsu does 8%
Level 3/Fully Charged Focus Attack does 17%
Jab Combo does 10%
Ledge Attack does 7%
Down Throw does 9%
Back Throw does 12%
Up Throw does 8%
F-Smash (Joudan Kick) does 16% uncharged, 22% charged
U-Smash (Crouch Fierce/Mexican DP) does 17% uncharged, 23% charged
D-Smash (Crouch Roundhouse) does 22% charged
Strong F-Tilt (Far Stand Roundhouse) does 10%
Weak F-Tilt (Far Standing Forward) does 6%
Strong D-Tilt (Crouching Forward) does 7%
Normal Shoryuken does 15%
Strong Shoryuken does 18%, no landing lag

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Fairly Sure Nair is Jumping Diagonal MK, not that Jumping Punch (pretty sure that's Fair)

Neo Zero

I figured it was nair because in Street Fighter that is the move that comes out when you neutral jump + press jab
The move you mean is Neutral Jump MP. I'm fairly sure the aerial is Diagonal Jump HP tho (they're very similar so hard to tell)

Considering the hitbox that either would have though, while the Jumping MK is more like a Sex Kick, I'm fairly sure Punch=Fair, Kick=Nair.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
The move you mean is Neutral Jump MP. I'm fairly sure the aerial is Diagonal Jump HP tho (they're very similar so hard to tell)

Considering the hitbox that either would have though, while the Jumping MK is more like a Sex Kick, I'm fairly sure Punch=Fair, Kick=Nair.
We'll see I suppose. I'll take that out of my list until there's proof.

Neo Zero

Is it just me, or does Ryu seem to use the same jump physics as in Street Fighter (Well, aside from obvious inclusion of double jumps)? I don't ever recall seeing him change his direction midjump to any substantial degree, and he only seemed to be able to jump either straight up, at around a 80 degree angle, and at a 45 degree angle.

That's going to seriously effect how he plays if it's true.
If this is right than perhaps we're both right @ PokemonyeWest PokemonyeWest since than the angle of the jump would affect the attack (and given how the tilts operate that's not a huge stretch). I imagine the 5 aerials are static though

Nair- D j.MK
Fair- D j.HP
Bair- N j.HK
Uair- D j.MP
Dair- Akuma/Evil Ryu D j.MK+Down (I could only ever spot this move once, and it never seemed to actually dive though. The animation looked just like this though)

Dash Attack also seems borrowed from E.Ryu as well, being his Forward MK.

Neo Zero

Ryu will definitely be one of the more technical characters in the game.
Funny when you consider how he's one of the least technical in his source material.

Also his ground moves are really confusing me now. I swear he has to many even with Held/Tapped inputs. I wish one of the people who recorded gameplay did it in a structured manner rather than running around and doing Hadoken and Tatsu every 10 seconds.

Top Bottom