• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu from Street Fighter has NO CHANCE of making it into SSBB, but I have a move list!

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
so people saying since he's already in a fighting ame he shouldn't be in brawl

sonic was in a fighter
and hes in......with different moves

tha cant be a reason...plus we have 2 more 3rd partiers....whos a better choice for the last two

Ryu or Megaman......

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the move set, but the final smash....

I think I did a Ryu 4 brawl thread, but it died quickly. I think I called it the Shin Metsu (metsu being eviol ryu's sign for destruction). it started as Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku ( a very strong hurricane kick which lasts longer) which followed into a Shin Shoryuken then finishing with a Denjin Hadouken kind of mixed with a Shakunetsu Hadouken (a super strong Hadouken mixed with a Strong, firey Hadouken)
the hadouken could be made into a Shinkuu, if allowed to charge. so, tapping B would make a small firebal with one hit of say, 5% damage. charging it fully makes a Shinkuu Hadouken and the hit repeats itself five times, resulting in 25%

but other wise, good moveset

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
I would like for Ryu to be in Brawl, but Mega Man has more chances of being there. The original that is.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
speculation for that message is that Megaman will make the cut. I'm not particularly suprised

in more on topic news, I was looking at the street fighter 4 trailer. presumably the game will be released for the three major platforms and arcade. it shows Ryu and Ken in nice 3D, even though the game is confirmed to be 2D

here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZP3WYiOncI

KidSmash

Smash Journeyman
hehe, yesterday i went to gamespot.com, and in the daily news section said: "Street Fighter IV ready to BRAWL"
**** i got scared ><, but it was just announcing SF4 lol

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
There are two thing's stopping Ryu... He might not fit into Brawl (Snake doesn't quite fit either, but Ryu doesn't have anyone to "beg" for him to be in), though you could simply state that they could make him fit in.

However, the main reason Ryu might not fit in is because... well, his attacks are very... linear... Unless they tweaked them a bit, I see him getting jumped by characters who can easily jump/duck around his attacks.

EWJDirtDevourer

Smash Cadet
Ryu does have somewhat of a chance. However, MegaMan, Bomberman and a few others have BETTER shots. But hey, he's got a better shot than any CLAY Fighters (Face it, dudes. Love ya guys, but...You haven't appeared in years...)

courte

Smash Lord
i'd love it... then again i'd love a super crossover with 100 max chars from game dev. only but the fighting game to fighting game transition is usually bleh a bit of disappointment regarding the lack of familiar techniques but then again i'd love to see him implemented

then again nintendo hasnt been as nice to their own fighting game series

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
I support Ryu infinitely more than Mega Man, honestly. Just because Ryu is someone who I grew up with and is relevant to me, and I think he would be great in Smash, especially since his moveset wouldn't require a lot of thought on the dev's part.

I know his chances are low, but it'd be cool if both he and Mega Man got in somehow, since that's the only way we'll see both of them. I'm predicting him as an Assist Trophy though. Certainly a sticker.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Smash Bros. is a simplistic fighting game for little kids, I doubt Capcom would let Ryu be simplified like this, as it ruins the character and pays little tribute to the game he's from. I mean, come on, Hadoken mapped to a simple push of the B button?! Hell no!!

Add to that the fact that in his game he's always doing throw techs and EX-moves and he'd be almost impossible to replicate properly in Smash.

Megaman is more likely anyways. I mean, come on. If Capcom contributes anyone at all to this game, who would be better suited for Smash Bros. than freaking MEGAMAN?

courte

Smash Lord
Smash Bros. is a simplistic fighting game for little kids, I doubt Capcom would let Ryu be simplified like this, as it ruins the character and pays little tribute to the game he's from. I mean, come on, Hadoken mapped to a simple push of the B button?! Hell no!!

Add to that the fact that in his game he's always doing throw techs and EX-moves and he'd be almost impossible to replicate properly in Smash.

Megaman is more likely anyways. I mean, come on. If Capcom contributes anyone at all to this game, who would be better suited for Smash Bros. than freaking MEGAMAN?
you might be looking for the megaman thread and capcom certainly has no problems dumbing down their characters moves list and techniques as well as even gameplay-- they've done it themselves before a couple of times, unless we all forgot

courte

Smash Lord
no not really, i mean u explained it well, but he wouldnt seem right to be in a kids fighting game.
kids. fighting. game.

zatch bell, naruto, one piece = kids fighting games they exist to tie into a series brought overseas for the sole purpose of making money

Super Smash Brothers = History

speculation for that message is that Megaman will make the cut. I'm not particularly suprised

in more on topic news, I was looking at the street fighter 4 trailer. presumably the game will be released for the three major platforms and arcade. it shows Ryu and Ken in nice 3D, even though the game is confirmed to be 2D

here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZP3WYiOncI
while i wouldn't say confirmed 2d--because they havem't-- you're probably right and that does have a huge impact on the game there isn't much debate on that for it was to be 3d it would have been titled street fighter ex 4 lol :chuckle:

courte

Smash Lord
unrelated but i just want officially clear up my last post--it was not a mistake as this is recent news

according to Gamespot SF4 will be "2D perspective with 3D flourishes"

according to this new pic @ 1UP.com: http://media.1up.com/media?id=3448787&type=lg[IMG]
JUST LIKE THE TRAILER!!

you've got some impressive sources

Cless

Smash Champion
If any Street Fighter character is in Brawl, I'm gonna cry. In fact, if any character that was originally created for a fighting game is in Brawl, I will just be extremely disappointed.

Cless

Smash Champion
Because it's stupid. They won't fight the same as they do in their respective games, and it'll just be disappointing. One of the last things I want to see is Mario fighting Ryu. Why would you waste a third party slot on a badly adapted Street Fighter character, when you could use Megaman or something?

courte

Smash Lord
i hate to say it but the same rules youre using for ryu apply to megaman

Cless

Smash Champion
How? Megaman would fit much better in this game. He wasn't originally designed to be in a fighting game even though he has been in some. You would still feel like you are using Megaman if he was in Brawl. With Ryu, it would feel awkward.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
Because it's stupid. They won't fight the same as they do in their respective games, and it'll just be disappointing. One of the last things I want to see is Mario fighting Ryu. Why would you waste a third party slot on a badly adapted Street Fighter character, when you could use Megaman or something.

yeah i agree....so no for ryu sorry

courte

Smash Lord
no way to know unless he gets in
personally street fighter has always been one of mu favorites--the series in general and playing with close friends because it's plain fun, but for me playing against much more experienced players is racking, as the information is exclusive and it's all generally a routine event. but to take a classic franchise character and offer him freedom at the expense of some moves seems like a fair and interesting trade not too mention a bit of relief for ryu... :chuckle: for example his three f-tilts could easily be each of his three standard kicks
his three punches could be remade into a standard combo

even among the street fighter community you will find people who wish that each character simply did not have such attack as it serves no purpose other than acting as a catalysts for a super, a catalyst which can be easily replaced which another more effective, damaging, opportunistic option

Cless

Smash Champion
Three f-tilts? What?

I love Street Fighter too. None of my friends do though so it's kind of annoying.

Take Ken for instance. In 3rd Strike, you could do say air-mk, crouching-mk, mp Shoryuken, Shippu Jinrai Kyaku; or Ryu, you could do unblockable setups with the Denjin Hadouken. You can't do this kind of stuff in Brawl. That's why they would be poorly adapted.

courte

Smash Lord
i say f-tilts because you can tilt forward in three directions with most characters straight out forward, forward high and forward low--the same rule applies for a few of the smashes

ah but there is more than one game to take reference from

i'm sure fans of some of the games rpg characters feel a bit of a sting when they see altered moveset [[not talking about fe and the s-rpg]] and yes ill admit that PERHAPS somethings would be taken out of account, BUT if it were truly worked on with a devoted enthuesiasmit could be done

just putting it out there, if you were working on this project and they managed to get the licsence; sakurai comes to you and you alone with the task of making a moveset with only the characters abilities in mind, while compromising as little as possible, and if anything at all only the minute details, could/would you be able to do it?? i can proudly say that i would try my best, because to me it's not whether or not a character deserves a slot OVER another, it's can we fit another one in.

Cless

Smash Champion
Oh, the directional tilts. I didn't understand what you meant at first.

I mean I'm sure I would be able to make something up, but it would leave a bad taste in my mouth because I would know that I just destroyed a character to make him fit in the game. I'm guessing you meant Ness and the pokemon with the rpg character thing, but Ness didn't have any attack spells besides PSI Rockin, and the pokemon are very open to interpretation. Ryu already has a set of moves and attacks that are clearly defined.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how popular Ryu is or say that Megaman deserves a spot more than he based on popularity alone because Ryu is a mascot of Capcom just as much as Megaman, but Megaman can be adapted to Brawl so much more easily than Ryu. I mean, if this were video game icons in Super Smash Bros Brawl, then sure why not, but it was Nintendo icons until Snake was announced and even then, there can be only so many third party characters.

courte

Smash Lord
Ryu just doesnt belong but megaman would have a better chance because of all the games he has done for nintendo.
"just doesn't belong" is in no way an acceptable reason for smash brothers smash brothers.
you could try to argue that he's simply too violent but this isnt a game made for kids and quite a number of the cast have taken the life of another

do not get me confused with an insane fanboy who is obssessed with this idea even though im afraid that's how im portraying myself:chuckle:i'm as well aware if ryu's chances as the rest of street fighter fans and smashers everywhere are, but then again, at one point and time, have the same argument all not been said of others who have beat the consensus

how many of you would have thought of snake "belonging" if he hadn't been announced right from the beginning

Oh, the directional tilts. I didn't understand what you meant at first.

I mean I'm sure I would be able to make something up, but it would leave a bad taste in my mouth because I would know that I just destroyed a character to make him fit in the game. I'm guessing you meant Ness and the pokemon with the rpg character thing, but Ness didn't have any attack spells besides PSI Rockin, and the pokemon are very open to interpretation. Ryu already has a set of moves and attacks that are clearly defined.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how popular Ryu is or say that Megaman deserves a spot more than he based on popularity alone because Ryu is a mascot of Capcom just as much as Megaman, but Megaman can be adapted to Brawl so much more easily than Ryu. I mean, if this were video game icons in Super Smash Bros Brawl, then sure why not, but it was Nintendo icons until Snake was announced and even then, there can be only so many third party characters.
it would be barely damaging his moves as only a few would be cut out what really changes is the way the game is played and that as well can be implement by means unique to the character [[take dk's grabwalk for example]]

if there was a fourth, and third parties had more slots open... could you see him happening--

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
"just doesn't belong" is in no way an acceptable reason for smash brothers smash brothers.
you could try to argue that he's simply too violent but this isnt a game made for kids and quite a number of the cast have taken the life of another

do not get me confused with an insane fanboy who is obssessed with this idea even though im afraid that's how im portraying myself:chuckle:i'm as well aware if ryu's chances as the rest of street fighter fans and smashers everywhere are, but then again, at one point and time, have the same argument all not been said of others who have beat the consensus

how many of you would have thought of snake "belonging" if he hadn't been announced right from the beginning
I said this because he is to much like a human and i think the same of snake. Mortal kombat characters are a little violent(Not enough really) and if they were to cross they would have very little "fair" competition. Smash would be weakened by the constraints of human endurance, really i view smash at a higher level of combat due to the fact that they dont really die and are impervious to human conditions(Burns, wounds,dislocations). If you dont understand me just ask me?

courte

Smash Lord
Ryu Moves Set

Transformation based mostly on SF3

A: Jab
A, A: Jab, Punch
A, A, A: Jab, Punch, Falling Fist (F+MP)
Dash Attack: Smask Kick - Ryu will short hop and bring his foot from background to foreground (F+MK - MVC)

F-Tilt: Mid Kick - Ryu will stick his forward foot straight out
F-Tilt+Up: Roundhouse Kick - Ryu Will perform a spinning hard kick
F-Tilt+Down: Low Kick - Ryu will perform a kick to the shin with his back foot
D-Tilt: Poke Kick - Ryu Will Stick his foot straight out and pull it back, kicking with his sole
U-Tilt: Axe Kick (borrowed from ken/akuma, earlier games) Ryu will Bring his foot up to his head holding it with one hand then quickly being it crashing down in a wide lateral arc

F-Smash: Short Range Hadou Fist (Assume the position, then plants both hands into foe's chest)
D-Smash: Sweep Kick (Crouching HK)
U-Smash: Standing Uppercut

Grab Attack: Knee
F-Throw: Ryu will step forward punching the opponent in the somach twice, then toss over his left shoulder, throwing foe up and away
B-Throw: Ryu will lean back pulling foe, and kick them away behind him.
U-Throw: Ryu will use the falling fist (F+MP)then perform a short shoryuken, leaving the ground for mere inches
D-Throw: Ryu will slam the opponent on the ground twice, once behind then back in front of him

N-Air: The Kick--A sex kick (Foward jumping MK))
F-Air: Flip Combo - Flips and hits twice, once with his elbow, on the second flip with his knee (Air LP, then Air LK)
B-Air: Spinn - An about face attack, Ryu quickly turns around and attacks twice. First kicks, hard, (nuetral jump + HK), then punches (Jumping straight up + HP)
U-Air: Double Fist - Looking straight up Ryu Punches Twice (Forward jump + MP)
D-Air: Dive Kick - If opponent is in air, this is a spike, hold down to cut through and kick twice. On the ground this is a knockdown attack and ryu will flip off a slight distance (Link's D-Air)

B: Hadouken - Can be charged for more speed. no elemental attribute over charge for shinkuu hadoken--multi hit
Smash B: Parry Combo: A special counter with small opportunity and no forgiveness. After catching the opponent string together a combo using the B button and the control stick to get up too 5 hits
A Punch B Kicks Y Jump/Feint attack and X Cuts off combo with a Joudan-Sokutou Geri(Really hard forward step kick) works like dancing blade combo except strings together much faster
Down B: Tatsumaki Senpuu-Kyaku - Works like the old Mario Tornado as in pressing B will Keep you in the air longer. 3 spinning kicks moving laterally, tap b to get a fourth on ground, 5 if started in the air. first kick has high knockback others following are moderate. Hold Down To hover straight up.
Up B: Shoryuken - Land early if hit, land late if miss, can be used in air for recovery.
Low percent chance for Shin Shoryuken.

Final Smash: Denjin Hadouken X 2

No Startup Lag High Speed Electric Based Multi-Hit Hadou-Ken
If Hit Character is temporarily paralyzed and stunned(shield broken) recurring shock damage

questions? comments? concerns?

courte

Smash Lord
I said this because he is to much like a human and i think the same of snake. Mortal kombat characters are a little violent(Not enough really) and if they were to cross they would have very little "fair" competition. Smash would be weakened by the constraints of human endurance, really i view smash at a higher level of combat due to the fact that they dont really die and are impervious to human conditions(Burns, wounds,dislocations). If you dont understand me just ask me?
you have seen the street fighter games and movies. while not impervious, i certainly wouldn't rank their endurance as the human. Maybe it's not good enough for your standards, i don't know, but if someone can topple an entire building or skyscraper with a single hadouken, and take a broken bone as lightly as one Master Chief, they're definetly ready for this battle -- i see the SF characters as human as the human strand of smash brothers competitors. Captain Falcon, Samus, Link, and the FE Lords..

most everyone understand the reason for lifebats in street fighter is that it is a tournament, and like other martial arts tournaments hits=points; the bar is simply another way of illustrating this

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING THIS IS POSSIBLE. The street fighters trained hard to acquire those skills and using dragonball z would be a very easy way to explain it because the z fighters learned all of those skills and none were given them from birth, they were a normal human at one time or another. Samus is a type of superhuman, the fe lords i know nothing about and they are probably similar to goldensun's adepts, capt.falcon is a superhero like being also he is a bounty hunter,Link is a tricky one since most are blessed with power by some deity and he is a superhero like being (Hero of time).

courte

Smash Lord
in the wake of the marvel vs capcom series any argument of them being "too human" is actually put too rest by itself -- this is a realm of fiction where almost anything can happen if chunli can fight alongside or defeat wolverine or jump 30 feet into the air over and over again, i doubt the smash enviroment would be such a tremendous over whelming burden

and if we remember correctly, every character in smash is in their by way of a trpohy, so it's not like it's the actual ryu, simply a representation of him, fighting on a whole other level

courte

Smash Lord
far from what?? one of the strongest fighting games franchises in history, which helped to sell quite a number of consoles back in the day?? not to mention what appearing in brawl would do for nintendo and capcoms relations, which as of late has been what i consider abysmal at best

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
no not really, i mean u explained it well, but he wouldnt seem right to be in a kids fighting game.
What's Ryu that Snake isn't?

If all Ryu's more kiddy than even ZSS.

Ryu was my childhood hero. :D But I'm still skeptical about wanting him over Megaman... :p

Top Bottom