• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Ruleset

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't really see how that would improve things. I mean, the idea of having a big diverse tournament is what makes apex so special. I'm fine with non smash games, and older smash games, I just don't like the community's general stance against sm4sh. Really they're all pretty great games, with brawl being the least good, and Project M not getting nearly enough attention. Although I acknowledge its a nintendo sponsored tourney, so they can't have PM, it just needs more support though, cuz it's really really good.
You know what else would be neat for Apex? Indoor paintball crew battles. East coast, west coast, midwest, south, and international. That'd be awesome wouldn't it?

A slip and slide competition (who can go the farthest) would be a big hit too.

But I wouldn't suggest adding them because of logistical concerns. Majors have more slack than non-majors, but when it comes to the point where you have to literally truncate rules to fit a game in.... you're sacrificing one group's tournament experience for another's. In this case, Smash 4 gets the short end of the stick and Melee gets the crown jewels. If that's the case, just don't host smash 4.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Well I just learned that you can only use Default 1111 Miis. This is effectively a ban on Miis as the 1111 version of Miis are either bellow average (brawler) or borderline unplayable (Swordfighter). Moves that have proven themselves pivotal to their playstyle (Feint Kick, Reversal Slash, and maybe Grenade Launch) are banned despite the fact that they there from the get go and they can be made super quickly.

I also hate that Swordfighter has to be Guest A rather than Guest B even though Guest B is the official art of Swordfighter.

There's talk of the first official tier list being made after apex and will be dictated by the performance of apex, but the Miis are not going to be played (and if they are then they are gimped from the start) the tier makers are going to assume that they are weak but in reality they just so happened to have sub par moves as their 1111 sets and have a sub par and unoptimized build. This rule about Miis infuriates me to no end.

Welp I can almost see a Diddy taking first place as he is already optimized on his 1111 build.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Because even though a ton of people bought brand new Japanese 3DS's just to play the game 2 weeks early, it's unfair to assume that people who own the Wii U version also own the 3DS version. And even though anyone who lives more than half an hour away from the venue is already spending hundreds (if not thousands) just to be there, it's unfair to make people pay another $150 to get the 3DS and game.

Last edited:

FunkyPanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aaron45689
If custom moves aren't on, I would consider Apex essentially the "for glory" of tournaments. Who hosts a tournament where 66% of the moves aren't usable?
Most Custom Moves Aren't Balanced I understand what you're trying to say but it doesn't really matter... Then Again I love Customs but they take up a lot of time and its random to unlock them and you might have a set at home but you might not have the same customs at apex and if they do well....

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
You know what else would be neat for Apex? Indoor paintball crew battles. East coast, west coast, midwest, south, and international. That'd be awesome wouldn't it?

A slip and slide competition (who can go the farthest) would be a big hit too.

But I wouldn't suggest adding them because of logistical concerns. Majors have more slack than non-majors, but when it comes to the point where you have to literally truncate rules to fit a game in.... you're sacrificing one group's tournament experience for another's. In this case, Smash 4 gets the short end of the stick and Melee gets the crown jewels. If that's the case, just don't host smash 4.
In the documentary didn't everyone play a big game of tag or something. I can see that kind of thing working in that case. :happysheep:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
Because even though a ton of people bought brand new Japanese 3DS's just to play the game 2 weeks early, it's unfair to assume that people who own the Wii U version also own the 3DS version. And even though anyone who lives more than half an hour away from the venue is already spending hundreds (if not thousands) just to be there, it's unfair to make people pay another $150 to get the 3DS and game.
I can understand this for character custom moves, but not the mii fighters since every smash 4 copy has all the mii specials unlocked by default and guest miis that are mid height and weight. not only that but it literally takes 30 seconds to make a custom mii. the only problem I see is that they could change custom moves per match, but that could be easily fixed by having a card with the custom moveset that you will use for the entire tournament or add some simple code at the end of the name. "yourname-B1231" (Brawler with neutral 1, side 2, up 3, and down 1)

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
B. Stage List
Starter Stages
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Smashville
Counterpick Stages
● Castle Siege
● Delfino Plaza
● Duck Hunt
● Halberd
● Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles only)
● Lylat Cruise
● Town & City
● Omega Stages*

* Treated as Final Destination in banning phase. If Final Destination is banned,
Omega Stages are banned and vice versa.

The link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74563582/Apex/Apex2015_Rulebook.pdf

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Only benefit of 2-Stock fights is the tournament should move along a little quicker I guess......I think they messed up on changing from 3-Stock personally, 3-Stock was always the Apex way

Top Bottom