• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule 6 - Norcal Regional - **NEW SIGNUP INFO** (7/23) Feat. Mango, KK, Kels, Zhu

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
To not be purely antagonistic. ....

Unless you are clearly better than everyone else (Mango), double elimination brackets will always have a certain degree of variance to them. On a slightly better bracket, I don't see why Kels couldn't get 9th or maybe 7th with a slightly "better" bracket. So yes, WC does acknowledge that Kels is quite talented and also the homie. However, we will disagree with all the sentiments that he was a "lockin" top 5 player as MW stated.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Dunno why everyone's arguing, Johnny whooped on Kels, so kels has a long way to go. And it's not like it was a particularly hard first round match for this particular tournament. Pewpewu vs Lovage also happened.

I only wish Mango hadn't wrecked through loser's bracket and taken down a ton of potentially close matches in his wake

Scar

#HarveyDent
btw, my $0.02 - it feels unfair to me that people are coming into the thread and throwing around big words like "rigged" when kels himself doesn't seem to have had a problem with any of it. i'm sure he wished that he did better and maybe didn't get mango so soon, but anyone would say that in his position. i think it's whack to make a big discussion about it without his participation. and if you're trying to support kels, saying that he has no chance against *any* falcon main is not the right way to do it.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Or Kels could man up and beat his opponent (see: Bladewise vs. Mango)

=p

In all seriousness, loved the tournament and everyone who was ACTUALLY at the venue

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
^

Yeah lol not sure what all the fuss is about. Reading all these posts has been fun though.

Anyway my one hope for this tournament was that California would come to know how hair-pullingly frustrating it is playing Bladewise at every tournament in Washington and I'm glad that it pretty much came true. LOL ^_^

Btw I agree super hard with all of dajuan's recent posts.

Shoutouts in the shoutouts thread o_O.

Sparky

Smash Apprentice
Yo this tournament was mad fun. Best part was when I ***** neighborhood P in the corner lol. Someone tell that dumb ***** to get back to the drawing board and stop posting on vids until he learns to play.

Hope you see this ****er, let's play and you can donate to me again :-)

You suck dawg

:phone:
Darrell going in. This tournament was sick. awesome job sheridan and boback for running it so well.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ya I agree with Scar. Knowing Kels, he was probably pretty pumped about the opportunity to take out a player of S2J caliber in the first round. He just didn't deliver, and I'm sure Kels is cool with that. Boback as a TO is amazing and it's pretty offensive that there are claims of a rigged bracket. People get bracket screwed all the time. The only thing I don't agree with is not adding the word "some" when referring to the MW. Not all of us thought Kels would win or get top 5. Sure, we had hoped. But Cali is far too strong to make a top 5 claim for all but just a handful of players.

Kels is just such a great player and IMO he was lucky to get to test his skills vs Mango and S2J in tourney. He's going to learn from this tourney and return better than ever at FC.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ NintendoKing
You need a medal for that post. All this drama is from fools who didn't even show up. If you want to talk up, then show up like a real man and come in last like A REAL MAN! :rotfl:

@ -ACE-
Zac would have beaten Kel easily. Given how out of his mind he was all day, so would have Bladewise (who was underestimated). Lovage played great, too, and probably would have done that, too. Your "opinion" is based on minimal visual evidence. Also, if you claim the tournament is "rigged," you are claiming Sheridan did that; that's messed up bro.

@ TaFoKiNtS
I laughed so hard at that. What's funny is the MW peeps are getting so mad, but Kel was chill, nice, and friendly. They're giving him a bad name, and making us out as Kel "haters." Really, he seems like he has particular areas where he was very far behind most of the other bracket players. However, he isn't too far off from reaching greatness.
I am very confident none of the 3rd seeds would have made it beyond the 2nd round with most falling in the first.
I agree with this and everything else you said, especially the part I quoted.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm keenly aware of the possible issue of losing 1 set and being out in pools where only top 2 advances, but we were pretty confident of our seeding and that the risk of this happening was outweighed by the general benefits of pools. And as it turns out, every single person that was seeded 1st/2nd for pools made it out of the pool though not necessarily in the order. At a tournament like Apex there is a lot more uncertainty in seeding and so top 2 is more dangerous.

The way we seeded the bracket was as follows:
We drew out a rough 1-16 seeding and put them in the bracket at the corresponding position. We also tried to have the notable 2nd seeds (S2J, SFAT, etc) play one of the bottom of the 1-16 seeds first round. The problem is that we couldn't get the seeding we wanted there because there were a whole bunch of regional and same-pools conflicts that came up. You can't ever get a perfect bracket and so in the end you have to pick the lesser of two evils in a few cases. We put priority in having well-seeded and regionally-separated quarter- and semi-finals, which aside from Mango's loss I think went pretty well.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Ok, so where do you draw the line between "bad luck" and "something is seriously wrong here"??? would mango vs KK first round be crazy enough? or just bad luck for KK? Kels facing s2j first round is kinda ****ed up man, no matter how you look at it. I'm sure something could have been done.

edit: bob$, do you really think kels had a good shot at beating s2j. give me a break lmao. it's just weird when kels (the 9th/10th best player there) goes against the 4th/5th best player there (and best falcon in the world) first round after traveling that far. Not to mention more people were interested in seeing his placing than ever before lol
seems like you have little clue how good most of these players actually are (relative to one another)

edit: mango vs kk would have been impossible b/c they were both 1 seeds. so if that had happened it would obv be a sign of something being wrong, but that's not close to what happened here

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah i didn't see ACE's edit but i totally disagree with calling kels the 9th/10th best player there, i'm not sure how you can say that in any objective sense - we haven't even started talking about fly yet LOL

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^ Kel was definitely at least a few spots out of the top 10 based on the "eye test." Just look at the folks outside of the top 10. (no diss on Kel, he's a great and improving player)
Anyway my one hope for this tournament was that California would come to know how hair-pullingly frustrating it is playing Bladewise at every tournament in Washington and I'm glad that it pretty much came true. LOL ^_^
My God... I don't think many of us from California expected that from him. It was pleasure to watch him go crazy and do incredibly awesome things everywhere. I loved his game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
anyone else confused why johnknight keeps calling kels "kel"? LOL

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
As one of the 3rd seeds who got cut off, I still think it was the right decision to go with top 2 make it into bracket; even with everyone cooperating very well, the tourney almost went over the allotted time. Boback and Sheridan know their region best, so seeding wasn't a big issue. Tons of credit to them and tarheeljks for running an amazing event. Sick venue, lots of setups, great organization overall. My only minor complaint is that the results post/thread should include everyone, cause there are several 3rd-and-lower seeds that I'd like to give shoutouts to!

Tink

Smash Hero
LOLLLLLL.....no pros from the MW said kels would be taking 1st at this(go back and check), or top 5....only scrubs/trolls came in here and said that....dont lump all of the MW ppl together when it just some randoms posting thier opinions -_-

that being said, i DID think kels would be able to reach top 5, and beat johnny for that matter, but i guess johnny had the better day is all...mango is mango 0_0....cant beat that guy when he doesnt wanna lose.

BIG C

Smash Master
I'll give proper shoutouts later, but first and foremost...

If you weren't at the tournament and you're trying to give your two cents, shut the **** up. There are no arguments that need to be had about who placed where and who is better than who based on how well they did in tournament.

And to anyone who wasn't there trying to bag on the seeding of the tournament, you're basically bagging on one of the nicest, sweetest, most intelligent, and most respected people in the melee community. Sheridan obviously knew who everyone was in terms of smash stature in this tournament and seeded it to the best of his abilities (his abilities **** ****ing face). The results are the results and that's all there is to it.

Unless you guys think any of this **** ****ing matters, then feel free to talk as much **** as you want. I don't mind when people look stupid for free.
NintendoKing has spoken. Listen to him or you will look stupid for free.

Also Midwest is pretty notorious for trolling it up. It's what we do. The top players aren't gonna say dumb **** just like the top players from your region aren't gonna say dumb ****.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'll give proper shoutouts later, but first and foremost...

If you weren't at the tournament and you're trying to give your two cents, shut the **** up. There are no arguments that need to be had about who placed where and who is better than who based on how well they did in tournament.

And to anyone who wasn't there trying to bag on the seeding of the tournament, you're basically bagging on one of the nicest, sweetest, most intelligent, and most respected people in the melee community. Sheridan obviously knew who everyone was in terms of smash stature in this tournament and seeded it to the best of his abilities (his abilities **** ****ing face). The results are the results and that's all there is to it.

Unless you guys think any of this **** ****ing matters, then feel free to talk as much **** as you want. I don't mind when people look stupid for free.
Oh gosh :3

But nah, I had a whole bunch of seeding help from lots of different people. We always get a couple out-of-region players to look over things and give their opinion on the seeding. Boback, Zac, Julian, Zhu, Lovage, Tafokints and probably more that I'm forgetting helped with the seeding too.

And many thanks to lots of others who made it happen:
Everybody for actually showing up on time at 11am - virtually unheard of for smashers.
Everyone who brought a TV/console/recording setup, what did we end up getting like 20 stations and 5 recording?
Zoap and Julian/tarheeljks as always.
Violence, who I don't think has ever said no when I've asked for a favor.
Anyone who was a pool captain - I think that was the fastest 2 waves of 8 pools ever run in the history of mankind.
And big bad NK for being an enforcer in person and on the boards.

D

Deleted member

All arguments lead to the conclusion: GET BETTER.
This was fun. I'm just salty about how I played vs KK.

FEHLFHEAOIFHOIAEHFoIFHOAEIHFOAH

I love you KK. <3 And you and Alan's team name is ****ing **** lmao

EDIT: You know Ace, SFAT beats S2J more than the other way around. SO KELS SHOULD GET BETTER. But he's pretty good already and a cool guy.

EDIT2: Someone teach Zac how to fight space animals jesus. Go from beating Shiz at Apex (LUCKILY) to losing in pools and bracket to Stab/Sung
COME ON ZAC, COME ON
i agree with entire sentiment of topic but i am not going to lose to sfat ever again and he should stop getting ***** so i can actually play him in bracket

==

Anyways, despite my earlier extremely rude posts in other topics, I want to say that Kels is a great guy. I went into the match knowing that I could lose but I just sat down and focused on what I had to do to win. And today I just had the better strategy/ the crowd on my back. If I faced Kels at the Big House half a year ago I think he would of have the advantage. But sometimes matchups don't happen when they should

==

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what happened
i will never team up with norcal to rig the brackets. I simply got 2nd seed because bob$ knows the falcon matchup better than I know the marth matchup and he is also a strong, smart player.

I got a very tough bracket run and it's dumb to say I purposely wanted to just **** Kels lol... What if I got mango first round for getting 2nd seed?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Scar, I'm sorry I didn't find you for friendlies, one thing or another seemed to come up when I wanted to, like pools or bracket starting. Tried to play at the very end but you seemed more interested in watching Mango vs KK, haha.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Game over MW.

Kels seemed pretty chill though, just had too high of an aim this time around.
To be fair, every player "plans on winning." That's simply the mentality you need to have to win. I don't think he meant that he would win for sure.
How the **** are ppl complaining about Kels playing s2j first round, Falcon is EASILY Kels best matchup I dont give a **** who you are if you play fox you should be drooling over playing falcons. no johns.
absolutely. Also Kels manhandled Darkrain so it's not like he's bad at the matchup.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
In all seriousness, I don't really see an issue with how Rule 6 turned out. Kels did pretty well, imo.

Also

BLADEWISE is the TRUTH.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
i agree with entire sentiment of topic but i am not going to lose to sfat ever again and he should stop getting ***** so i can actually play him in bracket

==

Anyways, despite my earlier extremely rude posts in other topics, I want to say that Kels is a great guy. I went into the match knowing that I could lose but I just sat down and focused on what I had to do to win. And today I just had the better strategy/ the crowd on my back. If I faced Kels at the Big House half a year ago I think he would of have the advantage. But sometimes matchups don't happen when they should

==

i will never team up with norcal to rig the brackets. I simply got 2nd seed because bob$ knows the falcon matchup better than I know the marth matchup and he is also a strong, smart player.

I got a very tough bracket run and it's dumb to say I purposely wanted to just **** Kels lol... What if I got mango first round for getting 2nd seed?
Hey S2J, was the match between you and Bobby in pools recorded? Your match vs him from Weekend Warriors not too long ago was so fun to watch, I'd love to see the sequal.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Bob$ is the ****ing truth. Witnessed firsthand his legendary NorCal rallying cry. Plus that super tryhard Mango Marth combo... o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom