• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule 6 - Norcal Regional - **NEW SIGNUP INFO** (7/23) Feat. Mango, KK, Kels, Zhu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidefx

Smash Champion
we had 92 for singles, and 27 teams

also, im not sure why you guys are giving us **** for doing top 2 in pools.

we had a VERY limited time to finish this. technically we only had 6 hours. Teams finished around 3 (started at 12:30pm) took 30 min to seed pools, and started at around 3:45ish.

If we did a large bracket with 93 people, it wouldnt have been the same as far as the fun/hype goes.

I basically left it down to sheridan to decide if we should be doing pools or not. He concluded that doing one large bracket would be the safest bet, and pools would be cutting it close due to people not doing what theyre told and slowing everything down.

so basically we opted for the **** IT LETS DO POOLS route and started seeding pools.

If we did top 3, we certainly wouldnt have finished on time. Top 2 was the only answer. Some pools had 5, most had 6. We seeded 1st and 2nd seeds in each pool, with a few 3rd seeds. Yeah the chances of getting screwed out of making bracket is a lot higher for the 3rd seeds in the pool, since if you lose one set youre basically done for. (which is what happened to me so there absolutely no biased involved)

We did what we could with the time, and we finished 10 minutes early. Id say thats pretty amazing.

HUGE thanks for everyone who brought setups. We had a total of 30 working setups and about 8 more that couldnt be used because we didnt even have space to set them up.

To everyone who recorded matches, THANK YOU! There were so many great matches to record i hope a lot of them did (i know a bunch of people didnt listen and go to their assigned tv's that had recording setups) but THANK YOU for maintaining them throughout the tournament.

And also a HUGGE THANKS to everyone who helped out with the tournament. It seriously wouldnt have finished on time if we didnt have those dedicated few to help out.

To all the out of state players who came, i hope it was fun for you guys and thanks for coming to our stacked *** regional. I think ill start hosting more regionals for people to come to.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Even though I wasn't there, I was pretty impressed that you guys did such a large tournament AND did pools in the little time that you had, so major props there.

I miss Cali tournaments SO MUCH. Even though it's been 5 years, the feeling of playing in the WC cannot be duplicated. It's a place where even the "bad" players are amazing and could compete elsewhere. You can't sleep on ANYBODY.

As far as Kels goes, I agree with KK stating it's hopefully (and likely) that Kels will learn and improve from this tourney. The scary thing is he is as good as he is by playing nothing but the MW. In other words, it's advantageous to become of pro level when you live in an area with lots of pros. Even just the quantity of players help. There are more players in Cali than there are in the entire MW (probably just in Socal or Norcal alone). Those are factors that hurt this region. Did Kels get exposed? No. He lost to S2J and Mango and that's it. Looking at the bracket, KK and Bladewise are the only players that were able to beat either S2J or Mango (not including Mango). So big deal. Kels is a hella cool guy, he's super smart, and he loves the game. He didn't claim anything, but played his best to rep his region. I don't remember any MW players saying Kels was going to win (could be wrong), or at least with any seriousness. I think Mango was the surefire favorite the whole time. I predicted 9th-7th, but HOPED for top 3. So there's nothing wrong for rooting for a friend or the best player in your region. But calling Kels out and calling him exposed, bad, ect just isn't cool. And while Kels is possibly the most consistent MW player, there's still not a lock that he is the best. Dart is also very exceptional, and placed pretty well at Genesis 2. Atma also is just insanely good, and has proven himself many times. Although he is basically part time MW part time WC, it's hard to count him.

Shoutouts to all the old school WC players that placed - Germ, Bobby, Tang, Jeff, Sheridan, and ZeldaFreak. Each of you were at my first tournament way back in 2005, so it's awesome to see you guys doing well.

Anyways FC will be fun and I'm hyped to see how Kels bounces back from this loss. I'm also hoping Mango takes it serious and proves to everybody that he is the best player in the world.

Scar

#HarveyDent
sick tourney boback, great job man. was a ton of fun - shoutouts on fb =D and shouts to everyone i forgot <3

BladeWise

Smash Lord
so many shoutouts to come. Norcal is ****ing tight. especially Darrell.

Mango used Fox against me. And he was trying hard enough to come back down 3 stocks to 1 stock in game 2. I pulled through in game 3.

Beat!

Smash Master
Good ****, Bladewise.

Get *****, Mango.

Okay well, good job winning the tourney and stuff I guess.

Can't wait for vids!

baka4moé

Smash Champion
damn good **** sung beating sfat! shame mango went into losers so early though...

good stuff to bladewise too tho

this looks great, looking forward to vids!

Scar

#HarveyDent
also rofl @ all the drama in here

this tourney was stacked and run perfectly, *****ing about top 2 out of pools is really silly. ultimately the TO's job is to create the best format possible with the given constraints, which they did. it's the player's job to do the best they can within the format, which they either did or did not. kels is really good and lost to really good people in tourney - all that means is that s2j/mango were better on that day

if MW and/or Kels want to sport/confirm his relative skill a great option is to wait for an event with more time and a more rigorous format, like FC-L (assuming that the kishes don't turn on green greens, pipes, and items :p)

and dantefox flaming hax :( that's pretty silly considering that the complaint is relevant and warranted (ssbpd clearly has some inherent flaws and does a bad job handling relatively isolated regions)

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
The tournament was ****ing stacked dude. There was like 8-10 people better than kels. ****ing ******** that he had to play s2j first round, that's insulting to someone that traveled that far to play imo, and whether the MW has been overconfident in their boy or not is completely irrelevant, he seems fairly humble himself.
he got an unlucky draw, but calling it insulting is ridiculous. you are casually implying that the bracket was rigged against him which is frankly bull****. the pools results in combination with the # of good players resulted in a couple extremely tough round 1 bracket matches. yeah kels had to play johnny-- pewpewu got lovage round 1 as a 1 seed. **** happens

edit: rigged too strong a word, but there's nothing wrong w/the way the bracket was created. seed, region, and all that jazz are factors. he got unlucky, so did other people; happens every tournament

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
also rofl @ all the drama in here
LMAO at the drama that was on this thread (specifically MW vs. everyone else). That was funny, because there was none at the tournament, and everyone was cool with Kel.
this tourney was stacked and run perfectly, *****ing about top 2 out of pools is really silly.
The difference between people who came in 2nd and 3rd in pools were huge, while there was minimal difference between who came in 3rd and 6th. So, the setup made sense.
HUGE thanks for everyone who brought setups. We had a total of 30 working setups and about 8 more that couldnt be used because we didnt even have space to set them up.
LMAO, we had setups everywhere except the bathrooms and upstairs kitchen. Good stuff NorCal, good stuff. GG's to anyone and everyone I faced/chatted to/whatever. :bee:
seriously though man is somebody gonna man up and tell us who took that big dump at the back of the venue? its stinking up the whole place
It might have been that guy my brother and I saw go in the women's room, lol!!! (that dude has balls, lol! Maybe he has Creed logic in regard to restroom usage)

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
The difference between people who came in 2nd and 3rd in pools were huge, while there was minimal difference between who came in 3rd and 6th. So, the setup made sense.
There was no one bad in my pool =[ That said, there's obviously a big difference between me and Dajuan

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Disagree, pools were kinda stacked. I'm sure some players went 2-1 with 2nd seed meaning the difference was a game. Couple good players didn't make it out, but the format used in respect to the time constraints worked very very well.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
People are mad good. In pools, almost everyone had a significant lead on me in the set.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Disagree, pools were kinda stacked. I'm sure some players went 2-1 with 2nd seed meaning the difference was a game. Couple good players didn't make it out, but the format used in respect to the time constraints worked very very well.
There were numerous very stacked pools, and obvious exceptions to what I said. However, no one who failed to make it out of pools stood a chance of placing high anyways.

That is of course unless they had a terrible performance in pools, were rusty, were just off that day, had a few match ups they weren't familiar with, or had other issues like that.

I could tell off previous experiences with players in my pools and pools I saw that it was obvious who would and wouldn't advance (unless someone was off, like I just said).

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I am very confident none of the 3rd seeds would have made it beyond the 2nd round with most falling in the first.

It was really a battle between the first and second seeds of the pools and some were really close/tough (me over Lovage and Bob$ over S2J).

I think the only seeding error was not the choice between seeding Bladewise/SilentWolf/Atma. There were so many good players that only one could get seeded into a pool.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
How the **** are ppl complaining about Kels playing s2j first round, Falcon is EASILY Kels best matchup I dont give a **** who you are if you play fox you should be drooling over playing falcons. no johns.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I'll give proper shoutouts later, but first and foremost...

If you weren't at the tournament and you're trying to give your two cents, shut the **** up. There are no arguments that need to be had about who placed where and who is better than who based on how well they did in tournament.

And to anyone who wasn't there trying to bag on the seeding of the tournament, you're basically bagging on one of the nicest, sweetest, most intelligent, and most respected people in the melee community. Sheridan obviously knew who everyone was in terms of smash stature in this tournament and seeded it to the best of his abilities (his abilities **** ****ing face). The results are the results and that's all there is to it.

Unless you guys think any of this **** ****ing matters, then feel free to talk as much **** as you want. I don't mind when people look stupid for free.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I am very confident none of the 3rd seeds would have made it beyond the 2nd round with most falling in the first.
moon was the best 3rd seed imo

How the **** are ppl complaining about Kels playing s2j first round, Falcon is EASILY Kels best matchup I dont give a **** who you are if you play fox you should be drooling over playing falcons. no johns.
i was going to say this but decided not to. the point stands - anyone who even thought that it was a remote possibility that kels would win the tourney should have thought he would have a great chance at beating johnny (though of course i would have put money on johnny ALL DAY)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
he got an unlucky draw, but calling it insulting is ridiculous. you are casually implying that the bracket was rigged against him which is frankly bull****. the pools results in combination with the # of good players resulted in a couple extremely tough round 1 bracket matches. yeah kels had to play johnny-- pewpewu got lovage round 1 as a 1 seed. **** happens

edit: rigged too strong a word, but there's nothing wrong w/the way the bracket was created. seed, region, and all that jazz are factors. he got unlucky, so did other people; happens every tournament
Ok, so where do you draw the line between "bad luck" and "something is seriously wrong here"??? would mango vs KK first round be crazy enough? or just bad luck for KK? Kels facing s2j first round is kinda ****ed up man, no matter how you look at it. I'm sure something could have been done.

edit: bob$, do you really think kels had a good shot at beating s2j. give me a break lmao. it's just weird when kels (the 9th/10th best player there) goes against the 4th/5th best player there (and best falcon in the world) first round after traveling that far. Not to mention more people were interested in seeing his placing than ever before lol

sidefx

Smash Champion
s2j was a 2nd seed. (in pools)

we based it off pool results to maintain fairness throughout the bracket.

why screw someone else over when johnny should have been playing better and get first seed?

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Ace - Here are a list of 2nd seeds that would probably beat kels over 50%

Brandon,
Zac
S2J
Bladewise
Atma,
Lovage

People who could upset Kels (2nd seeds)
ZF
Tai
Toph
Tafo

That's quite a bit of 2nd seeds. Tbh, if Kels were to advance any further, he'd have to play many players that could beat him.

Scar

#HarveyDent
TGD he has - with kels dropping a mm to stabbed (who is also pretty good), i would definitely take a $5 sidebet on tafo with some odds

and i agree with boback and tafokints

ace, i'm not sure what you're arguing. johnny was a 2 seed and therefore would have to play a 1-seed first round. are you simply suggesting that johnny should have played a different 1 seed? if so, why? just because he flew out?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ace - Here are a list of 2nd seeds that would probably beat kels over 50%

Brandon,
Zac
S2J
Bladewise
Atma,
Lovage
coincidence s2j is the best player?

People who could upset Kels (2nd seeds)
ZF
Tai
Toph
Tafo
most of those are huge maybe's lol, whatever

Ya know scar, I am sort of saying that. funny how he got dealt the ****ties hand possible that's all

*runs*

Shroomed

Smash Master
All arguments lead to the conclusion: GET BETTER.
This was fun. I'm just salty about how I played vs KK.

FEHLFHEAOIFHOIAEHFoIFHOAEIHFOAH

I love you KK. <3 And you and Alan's team name is ****ing **** lmao

EDIT: You know Ace, SFAT beats S2J more than the other way around. SO KELS SHOULD GET BETTER. But he's pretty good already and a cool guy.

EDIT2: Someone teach Zac how to fight space animals jesus. Go from beating Shiz at Apex (LUCKILY) to losing in pools and bracket to Stab/Sung
COME ON ZAC, COME ON

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah i see what you mean, but that's just luck of the draw, man. i'd take my advice and just say ggs, he lost to really good people and we'll see how he does in a national with more time and more games, like FC-L

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
For all the hype he had about getting top 5, he should be beating people of Johnny's calibur to get there...

Just saying to all you MW peeps....

sidefx

Smash Champion
list of 1st and 2nd seeds

1: Wes
1: Sung
1: Mango
1: Ray Charles (dajuan)
1: Bob$
1: SilentSpectre
1: Scar
1: Lucky
1: Kels
1: SilentWolf
1: Zhu
1: PewPewU
1: La'Drya(alan)
1: KirbyKaze
1: Fly Aminita
1: stabbedbyanipple
17: Gishnak
17: Brandon
17: ZeldaFreak
17: TAI
17: S2J
17: GERM
17: Darkatma
17: Tang
17: Darrell
17: Tafokints
17: Toph
17: Bladewise
17: Lovage
17: Sheridan
17: Phil
17: Zac

seeding was based on placing a 1st seed vs a 2nd seed. which is how youre supposed to do it.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I never said better, I said he beats him more often than not.

Trust me, there's no **** over the MW conspiracy going on.

sidefx

Smash Champion
wow sfat better than s2j? ok i'm out fo real, payce
whens the last time you even played either of them to back that dumb statement?

zac is REALLY good and id bet my money on him if he plays johnny any day.

unless you live in norcal, or california for that matter, you have zero judgement on how good these guys really are.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Why is that hard to conceive? do you know who Sfat has beaten? do you want me to list the names?
Lovage and S2j are evenish, Zac is probably in the same skill bracket as them. Bladewise was playing out of his mind yesterday he probably could have beat kels., too for ****ing sake dude. Kels got THE best character matchup he could have hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom