• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Getting rid of luma is indeed the best option most of our moves kill luma which is really useful :p usually if you spam jab at luma it'll get stuck, forcing rosa to attack you to break luma free. you can punish what she goes for though!
Also as long as you avoid her kill setups and predict how she's gonna edgeguard you'll end up with alot of rage, and with her being light, you'll kill her easily! Also keep in mind she's very tall, this can help alot while covering getups and hitting her in general :p if the rosa goes for normal getup with luma using fsmash or flare blade can easily hit her with extended hitboxes. This also makes hitting blazer on her easier!

Also i think the best place to ask this is the Q&A thread, might be wrong though lol
Thanks! Eh a little insight on stuttering Luma is really all I needed so I'd figure I'd ask here. I normally went for Nair to get Luma but I'll give my grounded options some more use against it.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
For the person that asked earlier for a review of Pokken, I finally have played it enough to give some brief thoughts. As a total noob to traditional fighting games, I find this game to be really interesting, and not so overwhelming that I'm not sure what's going on, so it's a good fit for me. Add in the fact that one of my favorite pokemon, Gardevoir, is a playable character (which makes my choice of mains there easy), and the game fits for me. There are a few different map layouts based on size and shape (small, med, large, round, and oval), and the maps are beautifully detailed, as is the animations. On the breeding grounds map, for example, you can see a person on a bike riding around occasionally followed by a volcarona, which is hilarious, because it's the breeding map lol.

It isn't a game for everyone. I would imagine someone that's more experienced in fighting games might find it more shallow, idk, and people who are expecting another Tekken game might be disappointed, though I wouldn't know since I haven't played any Tekken games. But for me, the game is a good fit for me, lol, and I'm really enjoying it.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I know I told some of you guys about the tournament I went to yesterday, but I'm gonna post this for discussion and advice:

So I went to a big regional yesterday. ANTi and GimR were there; didn't talk to them though because I was afraid of embarrassing myself. I entered the tournament and got 2-0'd in both winners and losers again. I played more aggressively this time, which was good, but first round I got Witch Timed after I sour spot naired a Bayonetta and attempted to Fsmash her. Got a little carried away there. Then I got 2-0'd by a Greninja in losers; I beat him in neutral every time, but he managed to beat me anyway because I became extremely predictable once he got me off stage. With Roy, I become predictable off stage because I KNOW his recovery isn't very good, and I know that both Greninja and Bayonetta love fighting characters with mediocre recoveries; they'll do anything they can to prevent you from coming back to the stage, and I think that I respected their edge-guarding abilities a bit too much.

While I did have a whole lot of fun, I was a bit disappointed by the tournament. I feel like every tournament I go to, I get into last place and it's an awful feeling. I only managed to win in losers against a Diddy. 2-0'd him, but that was purely luck right there. It's hard to get good, because I don't have any people in my area to fight with. Tournaments is the only form of practice I can really get, and I can hardly get friendlies because the tournaments last a while. Any... tips? I finally got a LAN adapter so I can fight more people online. I don't want to try For Glory because I have the fear that someone may record my failures and put them on their combo/FG vids.

Great news though... Well great's pushing it but it's still pretty good: I've been starting to become friends with some of my state's top players. I've been asking for not only competitive advice but character advice as well. In fact, if it weren't for one of the top players helping me, I would have never understood why I lost to that Greninja. What's also good is that a lot of the top players there thought Roy was a decent character; just underdeveloped. The more and more I talk to these players, the less and less bad I feel about using Roy. I'm starting to feel more convinced that the "Roy is low tier" thing is just something that a lot of Smash redditors and YouTubers say. No thought into why he's low tier; they just say he is because one person said so.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
I know I told some of you guys about the tournament I went to yesterday, but I'm gonna post this for discussion and advice:

So I went to a big regional yesterday. ANTi and GimR were there; didn't talk to them though because I was afraid of embarrassing myself. I entered the tournament and got 2-0'd in both winners and losers again. I played more aggressively this time, which was good, but first round I got Witch Timed after I sour spot naired a Bayonetta and attempted to Fsmash her. Got a little carried away there. Then I got 2-0'd by a Greninja in losers; I beat him in neutral every time, but he managed to beat me anyway because I became extremely predictable once he got me off stage. With Roy, I become predictable off stage because I KNOW his recovery isn't very good, and I know that both Greninja and Bayonetta love fighting characters with mediocre recoveries; they'll do anything they can to prevent you from coming back to the stage, and I think that I respected their edge-guarding abilities a bit too much.

While I did have a whole lot of fun, I was a bit disappointed by the tournament. I feel like every tournament I go to, I get into last place and it's an awful feeling. I only managed to win in losers against a Diddy. 2-0'd him, but that was purely luck right there. It's hard to get good, because I don't have any people in my area to fight with. Tournaments is the only form of practice I can really get, and I can hardly get friendlies because the tournaments last a while. Any... tips? I finally got a LAN adapter so I can fight more people online. I don't want to try For Glory because I have the fear that someone may record my failures and put them on their combo/FG vids.

Great news though... Well great's pushing it but it's still pretty good: I've been starting to become friends with some of my state's top players. I've been asking for not only competitive advice but character advice as well. In fact, if it weren't for one of the top players helping me, I would have never understood why I lost to that Greninja. What's also good is that a lot of the top players there thought Roy was a decent character; just underdeveloped. The more and more I talk to these players, the less and less bad I feel about using Roy. I'm starting to feel more convinced that the "Roy is low tier" thing is just something that a lot of Smash redditors and YouTubers say. No thought into why he's low tier; they just say he is because one person said so.
Well my next video is most likely gonna be on edgeguarding and getting edgeguarded! So that might help when it's gonna be done! (there are some locals in the way so it'll take longer :p)

And it's very good that you got some positive stuff from the tournaments! don't feel bad about losing, that's how you get good eventually!

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614

I felt the same way when I started to play tourneys myself, my word of advice is continue going but make your goal focused on practicing and gaining experience. I got bodied in my first match and losers bracket too so I starting looking into my I was failing so quickly. I knew that I wanted to play an active playstyle while keeping my momentum in a fight so I focused on building my style from scratch. I ended up learning a lot of movement tech because of it and my playstyle is mostly based around pressuring with that movement via foxtrots, extended dash dancing, and B reversing . In the end i've made good progress and I can always get better but being able to see the progress ive made whether it be from wins or just by seeing the difference in how I play is how I've shaken off my losses. My tip would be to learn your movement options, It keeps me busy while I'm wanting to be aggressive and opens the chance to do so. The last tip I have would be stay focused auto pilot isn't our best way of doing things forcing people to autopilot is.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I have a question fellow Royboyz: when should one use forward throw over down throw and vice versa?

ItsFX

Smash Rookie
I have a question fellow Royboyz: when should one use forward throw over down throw and vice versa?
I like to mix the two up, but generally I don't fthrow if I'm facing towards an edge and we're pretty close to it. I like to try the fthrow>dash>bair sourspot lock or try something like fthrow>nair>nair if they're not high on % yet, so I need space for that.

I'm not that good though I'm interested to see what others have to say.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
I prefer Down Throw at low percents and as a mix up until higher percents (0/20) & until120ish)
I use Forward throw at Mid percents because I like my options after with either Nair, Double Edged Danced, Tech chase with Fsmash or jab reset with Sour Bair into Fsmash if they miss the tech.

Down has more consistent follow ups with Jab Ftilt at 0%, Uptilts to up Uair at about 20% Blazer & Up air at mid percents (Uair works until higher percents)
and sets up for juggles

Forward throw has better payoff with reads and more string potential also can set up for edge guards.

Use them depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Play me. I can help you recover. People can't edgeguard me when they should > = )
Roy has so many recovery mixups that other characters with similar recoveries just don't. His recovery's easily his worst aspect but it's definitely overlooked and underrated. I almost never get edgeguarded. I often go entire friendlies sessions and sets without people pulling off a single edgeguard on me because I make them tricky and limit options well. Roy forces people to respect his Blazer hitboxes in an odd way, and even then, they're difficult to properly trade with.

If you don't want people to recognize you in combo vids, either don't use a tag, or use a tag that you don't use at tournaments if you have custom controls. It doesn't matter otherwise since a lot of random people are gonna be in their vids anyways, nobody will recognize you later (hell nobody ever came to me about being in one of Alpharad's 101's and one of Shofu's FG videos) and they'll never put your mii in a vid unless you're on a For Glory session video or if you trash talk through tags. If you're still afraid, just go on FG with an alt account which can be created in minutes. You need to start using resources and put actual practice in to improve if you want to place.

Btw, use Anther's ladder and the Roy discord for matches, similar practice while being much more efficient than FG.
All FG really does is teach you to beat cheese/gimmicks and bad habits better, with the occasional solid player hopping in, and lots of wasted time on bad players, laggy players, or atrociously laggy horrible players with annoying playstyles that don't work anyways.

As for tournament running times, go there as soon as the venue opens and play friendlies for several hours before the tournament. Playing friendlies before the tournament is just as important, if not more important than doing it after. Take notes and save replays if possible. Have people help you review the replays and see where you can improve. The smash upload to youtube feature (you can set it to unlisted and share it with 1-2 people) or just sending replays to your friendslist is pretty universal and convenient.

Why feel bad about using Roy? You have to ask yourself why you're playing the game to begin with. If playing Roy doesn't conflict with your goals or why you play, then **** anyone who tries to make you feel bad about it and don't take it to heart. I feel you're too nervous (it's not bad to feel nervous, it's bad to let it limit you too much when you can swallow it at crucial times to get something done, I had to do it at work today to put in my 2 week notice) and afraid to stay true to yourself and what you want often, and you'd be much happier if you re-approached a few things in a new light and veered away more from going to negative thoughts so quickly.

At low percents, dthrow jab is really good and can lead to regrab or DED for 25-30+ damage.

After they're past a certain point (it's hard to explain properly, you'll want to feel it out over time) then you want to fthrow. Fthrow leads into nair, DED, and dash attack often. Nair can potentially combo into a lot and it's my main fthrow combo tool, but every Roy uses different throw combos.

Dthrow:
Around 0, I go for jab, sometimes odd but great stuff is something like jab -> dtilt -> regrab.
One gimmick I've been messing around lately is jab after dthrow, then if they try to land, I just fsmash for damage if I don't feel they'll jump out, and it'll unstale at fsmash kill % anyways. It's 32.5 damage. If you catch them jumping out, you can a different option instead and set up juggles and landing traps.
I often like jab -> DED, or jab -> regrab off dthrow.
Around 10-15, I go for utilt then punish landings or escape attempts, sometimes combo'ing utilt into itself or uair/nair.

After that, I fthrow.
Depending on distance, I go for DED (frame 6, so it's easy to link from that hitstun with), nair, or dash attack from fthrow.
If they're forced into a tech, I'm pretty good at tech chasing, that's something you should invest in with fthrow.
You need to improve how you react to situations to tech chase, and it's an acquired skill through practice and failing a lot at first.
You need to react instantly to missed tech and neutral tech, while being able to be patient enough for a tech roll, and if you don't punish missed tech, you need to be ready for neutral getup, getup attack (perfect shield and punish), or a roll left/right.

At higher percents, something I've been doing lately is usmash after fthrow.
Roy can follow them with usmash, which is great because it covers:
-Opponent doing nothing and trying to land that way, or if you outspace a combo break the same thing happens
-Airdodge (wait out, a bit of help from lasting hitboxes)
-Missed tech (foot hitbox of usmash)
-Neutral tech (lasting hitboxes)
-Jump out (catching the jump with Roy's massive vertical phallus)
-Jump out and airdodge (wait and catch them)
-Tech roll (if followed correctly)

Doesn't always work, but it's easy to react to and catch, and happens very often for me now.

Here's a tech chase minigame for everyone here, it's more for Melee players but it's good if you don't have someone to help you lab tech chasing or if you're in a spot where you can't play but can still use a browser to improve:

http://reactiontraining.herokuapp.com/

I still consider it excellent for 4, and general smash fundamentals.

My tech chasing in this and 20XX pack helped make it easier to transition to how 4's tech chasing works and how Roy's moves pop opponents at new angles.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I see. The potential follow ups after the throws aren't the problem (but the information is still appreciated), just knowing when to use one over the other. But that's clearer now. Appreciate it, boyz.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Play me. I can help you recover. People can't edgeguard me when they should > = )
Roy has so many recovery mixups that other characters with similar recoveries just don't. His recovery's easily his worst aspect but it's definitely overlooked and underrated. I almost never get edgeguarded. I often go entire friendlies sessions and sets without people pulling off a single edgeguard on me because I make them tricky and limit options well. Roy forces people to respect his Blazer hitboxes in an odd way, and even then, they're difficult to properly trade with.

If you don't want people to recognize you in combo vids, either don't use a tag, or use a tag that you don't use at tournaments if you have custom controls. It doesn't matter otherwise since a lot of random people are gonna be in their vids anyways, nobody will recognize you later (hell nobody ever came to me about being in one of Alpharad's 101's and one of Shofu's FG videos) and they'll never put your mii in a vid unless you're on a For Glory session video or if you trash talk through tags. If you're still afraid, just go on FG with an alt account which can be created in minutes. You need to start using resources and put actual practice in to improve if you want to place.

Btw, use Anther's ladder and the Roy discord for matches, similar practice while being much more efficient than FG.
All FG really does is teach you to beat cheese/gimmicks and bad habits better, with the occasional solid player hopping in, and lots of wasted time on bad players, laggy players, or atrociously laggy horrible players with annoying playstyles that don't work anyways.

As for tournament running times, go there as soon as the venue opens and play friendlies for several hours before the tournament. Playing friendlies before the tournament is just as important, if not more important than doing it after. Take notes and save replays if possible. Have people help you review the replays and see where you can improve. The smash upload to youtube feature (you can set it to unlisted and share it with 1-2 people) or just sending replays to your friendslist is pretty universal and convenient.

Why feel bad about using Roy? You have to ask yourself why you're playing the game to begin with. If playing Roy doesn't conflict with your goals or why you play, then **** anyone who tries to make you feel bad about it and don't take it to heart. I feel you're too nervous (it's not bad to feel nervous, it's bad to let it limit you too much when you can swallow it at crucial times to get something done, I had to do it at work today to put in my 2 week notice) and afraid to stay true to yourself and what you want often, and you'd be much happier if you re-approached a few things in a new light and veered away more from going to negative thoughts so quickly.

At low percents, dthrow jab is really good and can lead to regrab or DED for 25-30+ damage.

After they're past a certain point (it's hard to explain properly, you'll want to feel it out over time) then you want to fthrow. Fthrow leads into nair, DED, and dash attack often. Nair can potentially combo into a lot and it's my main fthrow combo tool, but every Roy uses different throw combos.

Dthrow:
Around 0, I go for jab, sometimes odd but great stuff is something like jab -> dtilt -> regrab.
One gimmick I've been messing around lately is jab after dthrow, then if they try to land, I just fsmash for damage if I don't feel they'll jump out, and it'll unstale at fsmash kill % anyways. It's 32.5 damage. If you catch them jumping out, you can a different option instead and set up juggles and landing traps.
Around 10-15, I go for utilt then punish landings or escape attempts, sometimes combo'ing utilt into itself or uair/nair.

After that, I fthrow.
Depending on distance, I go for DED (frame 6, so it's easy to link from that hitstun with), nair, or dash attack from fthrow.
If they're forced into a tech, I'm pretty good at tech chasing, that's something you should invest in with fthrow.
You need to improve how you react to situations to tech chase, and it's an acquired skill through practice and failing a lot at first.
You need to react instantly to missed tech and neutral tech, while being able to be patient enough for a tech roll, and if you don't punish missed tech, you need to be ready for neutral getup, getup attack (perfect shield and punish), or a roll left/right.

-Opponent doing nothing and trying to land that way, or if you outspace a combo break the same thing happens

Doesn't always work, but it's easy to react to and catch, and happens very often for me now.

Here's a tech chase minigame for everyone here, it's more for Melee players but it's good if you don't have someone to help you lab tech chasing or if you're in a spot where you can't play but can still use a browser to improve:

My tech chasing in this and 20XX pack helped make it easier to transition to how 4's tech chasing works and how Roy's moves pop opponents at new angles.

I didn't know we could falling Uair to bair at the ledge for a kill confirm. That is beautiful.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

I actually don't think Roy's recovery is THAT bad. I do usually make it to the ledge just fine. I guess I just got too nervous and jumped earlier than I should. His recovery isn't awful, but I still feel that it can be easily manipulated by certain characters, especially by Bayonetta and Greninja.

Bah. I gotta use tags though. I have certain controls I want to use. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I'm a tad insecure. Don't feel comfortable about being publicly humiliated, even if I was anonymous.

I'll do friendlies and give Anther's a shot because I feel that they're less toxic. I also think my nerves won't be as bad if I play such modes.

I wooould but I usually get there as soon as the tournaments start. I think I should go earlier because that's what they did for the tournament I went to yesterday. Only problem is that it was packed yesterday since the tournament was so big. Another problem is that I get beat pretty often, so I have to wait my turn for friendlies and it sucks. I want to play friendlies as much as possible so that I may learn my mistakes faster and adapt. Don't like waiting my turn to play friendlies at all, but it happens all too often. Heck, I'm totally not afraid to have a match with a top player, because they give me a lot of great tips after.

I feel bad because I wonder whether it's worth using him. I don't think I should worry about that though. I main him because he's fun and I like his design. I do remember telling myself that I'm not interested in beating ZeRo or any other top player, so I guess at that point, my goal is to be the best Roy or the best whatever character I feel like using. Watching that ESAM video convinced me even further with that, and I appreciate it. My one and only question at this point is this: If you're planning on being the best X main, how do you deal with bad match ups? Most of my top players use mid to low high characters. Some use top tiers, but they're ranked lower on the PR. Strangely enough, I know of a top player who uses Bowser. My scene isn't very small either. It's pretty decent.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Dthrow:

After that, I fthrow.

Uh, never new that Uair lead to Bair. Nice. Though it's hard to pull off.

Also, that reaction thing is really stupid. Seriously, how the **** am I suppose to know what Tech input to use? I mean come on.

:135:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the wonderful world of using up air to combo. This is only a start of what up air can do.

No seriously up air is great and people need to use it more!

Time for a local today, i hope i can play a sheik or something. i want to see how much the patch affected the MU :p

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
It is indeed. I just found that out the other day. I believe jab to back air is true at KO percents, too.
I love Roy's jab it's such a good linking tool in general, I wouldn't doubt it.
I think Hero/StaticManny use to do that a lot with his Roy for one of his go to kill confirms

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
My one and only question at this point is this: If you're planning on being the best X main, how do you deal with bad match ups?
This mostly falls in our hands when placed in a bad match up.
I can't remember his name for the life of me but one of the best game and watch players has the strength of playing an amazing neutral game which makes up for the characters weakness in that area. We're in a similar boat, I'd focus on a strong neutral, and approaching game as players.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
So I think Roy might be the most insane to fight amiibo when you focused on his strengths. XD
I trained him to level 50 teaching him some movement tech along the way.
gave equipment to make his stats +100 Attack - 20 Defense and + 30 Speed with the bonus effects.
Critical Hit Capability, Increased Run Speed, and No Flinch Smash Attacks.
He countered me at 57% (Luckily I taught him not to spam it)
He brought me to 257% and insta killed me. O.O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS19yKx67U4

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I love Roy's jab it's such a good linking tool in general, I wouldn't doubt it.
I think Hero/StaticManny use to do that a lot with his Roy for one of his go to kill confirms
He's actually where I got it from. When I first saw it, my initial reaction was "What? There's no way that's guaranteed," which quickly changed to "Holy ****, that's guaranteed!" It's my personal favorite confirm with Roy now.
So I think Roy might be the most insane to fight amiibo when you focused on his strengths. XD
gave equipment to make his stats +100 Attack - 20 Defense and + 30 Speed with the bonus effects.
I am pleased with my purchase Sakurai
$13 well spent.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
TheSpnBrm TheSpnBrm I don't really mind, but one note of caution: the boards here generally frown upon people double posting unless it's been a while since someone posted on the thread and you're still the bottom poster, or for a similar reason. Might want to be careful of doing that, or one of the mods might stop by to shake their finger at you lol.

Also I think an amiibo, with frame perfect reaction times, should def be taught to counter lol. They're just so...good at it lol. I haven't fed my Roy any equipment yet, still trying to decide what I want to do with him. Crits and perfect shield explosion, maybe? And maybe healing. Something suitably OP lol.

---

Also, if you got 6+ notifications today, never fear, that was just @GunBlaze and I stopping by to like your posts. :) Thanks for the likes, GunBlaze. :p

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
EnGarde EnGarde Sorry about that I'll remember to condense everything into a single post next time. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: I had the shield at first but I found I wanted him to be someone you could interact with and also be decent against other amiibo's so choose this route.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Am I the only one here who wants them to reduce Jabs endlag more? I mean, it's already fast, but I don't think it's fast enough.

Welcome to the wonderful world of using up air to combo. This is only a start of what up air can do.

No seriously up air is great and people need to use it more!

Time for a local today, i hope i can play a sheik or something. i want to see how much the patch affected the MU :p
Yeah, i'm starting to see the pros of time more now.

This is def one of my all-time favorite videos. I rewatch it occasionally and it's always my go-to for players who want to learn and improve. It's worth watching for everyone here, you can keep it on in the background while doing other things.

I actually don't think Roy's recovery is THAT bad. I do usually make it to the ledge just fine. I guess I just got too nervous and jumped earlier than I should. His recovery isn't awful, but I still feel that it can be easily manipulated by certain characters, especially by Bayonetta and Greninja.

Bah. I gotta use tags though. I have certain controls I want to use. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I'm a tad insecure. Don't feel comfortable about being publicly humiliated, even if I was anonymous.

I'll do friendlies and give Anther's a shot because I feel that they're less toxic. I also think my nerves won't be as bad if I play such modes.

I wooould but I usually get there as soon as the tournaments start. I think I should go earlier because that's what they did for the tournament I went to yesterday. Only problem is that it was packed yesterday since the tournament was so big. Another problem is that I get beat pretty often, so I have to wait my turn for friendlies and it sucks. I want to play friendlies as much as possible so that I may learn my mistakes faster and adapt. Don't like waiting my turn to play friendlies at all, but it happens all too often. Heck, I'm totally not afraid to have a match with a top player, because they give me a lot of great tips after.

I feel bad because I wonder whether it's worth using him. I don't think I should worry about that though. I main him because he's fun and I like his design. I do remember telling myself that I'm not interested in beating ZeRo or any other top player, so I guess at that point, my goal is to be the best Roy or the best whatever character I feel like using. Watching that ESAM video convinced me even further with that, and I appreciate it. My one and only question at this point is this: If you're planning on being the best X main, how do you deal with bad match ups? Most of my top players use mid to low high characters. Some use top tiers, but they're ranked lower on the PR. Strangely enough, I know of a top player who uses Bowser. My scene isn't very small either. It's pretty decent.
If you struggle with a matchup or believe it's bad, it's best to grind out the MU, study where your character cripples their character most, and find where they hurt you and your character most. You want to rewatch replays a lot because you'll see why you lose.

Let's say you can't beat Ness. What you could do is try to get into something like a Ness Discord (idk what they have), ask for friendlies on the Ness boards, look for Nesses on Anther's, ask Youtubers who play Ness to play, ask in a Smash group on Facebook for Nesses, etc.

Save all your replays. Every single one. No matter how embarassing they get.

If you only save replays where you do well or win, you won't see why you're losing, and you'll miss key areas for much, much longer.

Now, when you watch them, let's say you can't edgeguard the Nesses. You might be backing off when you can get nair, fair, or counter on their recovery. You might not dtilt the ledge when Ness is forced to rise over the ledge with his second jump. Stuff like that. Now, let's say the Ness is getting you easily offstage. PK Thunder gimmicks, landing dair spikes on you constantly to style, and gimping you with nair/fair/bair.

This forces you to learn how to both edgeguard and recover with Roy to win the matchup more, which in turn--

Strengthens your fundamentals greatly.

You grow in all matchups from doing this. You grow as a player from doing this. On top of struggling a lot less with Ness.
So many players claim they know matchups, but they don't apply themselves to truly learn them and end up losing them without knowing what to do once they run into certain playstyles or skill levels of that character.
You got this though. If you stay diligent in learning matchups and improving, then you will grow a lot.

Also, that reaction thing is really stupid. Seriously, how the **** am I suppose to know what Tech input to use? I mean come on.

It should show arrow keys, I believe up is neutral tech, down is missed tech, left is left roll, right is right roll.

no sheik players :(
Best news I've heard all year.

This mostly falls in our hands when placed in a bad match up.
I can't remember his name for the life of me but one of the best game and watch players has the strength of playing an amazing neutral game which makes up for the characters weakness in that area. We're in a similar boat, I'd focus on a strong neutral, and approaching game as players.
Neutral is king. Nothing makes me happier than seeing good neutral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS19yKx67U4
Here's mine:

Crits have insane hitstun and make so many things into finishers, reduced landing impact is making him do scary combos like dair ones, and he's confirming off Crash Run into regrab, nair, or kills. I'm proud.

Btw, your profile pic/avatar. I posted that same picture on Facebook, friends-only privacy, with a tiny handful of people added. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny handful. I'm kind of spooked.

Does this mean you're going to start streaming? Good luck! :)
Gonna do local recordings and make a playthrough of FE6 that teaches beginner players FE fundamentals while clearing up misconceptions about 6 as a game. I'm thinking Tuesday's a good time to start, I'm unsure.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
Real men don't cheat their amiibos.

Na, I lie where doing a special amiibo tournament soon and I'm taking care of the FE and Pokemon and we use zero equipment. During training (which is no human training at all) Roy managed to come in second on both 30 minute and 10 minute training rounds out doing Ike both times. Ike got the lead in KOs for a while but lost due to Roy being the only FE rep to bother with counter and learned his Up B can KO. Hilariously Marth also uses his Up B to KO.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Here's mine:

Crits have insane hitstun and make so many things into finishers, reduced landing impact is making him do scary combos like dair ones, and he's confirming off Crash Run into regrab, nair, or kills. I'm proud.

Btw, your profile pic/avatar. I posted that same picture on Facebook, friends-only privacy, with a tiny handful of people added. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny handful. I'm kind of spooked.

Gonna do local recordings and make a playthrough of FE6 that teaches beginner players FE fundamentals while clearing up misconceptions about 6 as a game. I'm thinking Tuesday's a good time to start, I'm unsure.
Weirdness, XD. Also I've been thinking about using reduced landing lag because mine for some reason wants to fair all the time instead of nair.
But I taught him to run up and just use neutral options like fsmash or tilts so the speed he gains really makes that effective for killing and pressuring.

The one thing he does that really freaking weird is that he always wants to backthrow people even though that was never used in the entire training process. I mainly use forward throw and mix up with down throw or at lower percents.

Lastly with the play through that sounds awesome I've been watching some parts of Binding Blade myself and def don't get why people say he's bland. He responds to pressure better than most of the Lords, He actually responds tactfully to some situations faster than Robin does and he's 15 during his story versus the early 20ish age I'd assume Robin is. He's clearly strong at heart, stoic, and does all he can to protect and serve the people he leads.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It should show arrow keys, I believe up is neutral tech, down is missed tech, left is left roll, right is right roll.
That part I understand. It's just it tells me to input a tech, so I do, and then it goes and tells me I'm wrong, and I'm like, wtf?

Jiom

Smash Journeyman

This is def one of my all-time favorite videos. I rewatch it occasionally and it's always my go-to for players who want to learn and improve. It's worth watching for everyone here, you can keep it on in the background while doing other things.

If you struggle with a matchup or believe it's bad, it's best to grind out the MU, study where your character cripples their character most, and find where they hurt you and your character most. You want to rewatch replays a lot because you'll see why you lose.

Let's say you can't beat Ness. What you could do is try to get into something like a Ness Discord (idk what they have), ask for friendlies on the Ness boards, look for Nesses on Anther's, ask Youtubers who play Ness to play, ask in a Smash group on Facebook for Nesses, etc.

Save all your replays. Every single one. No matter how embarassing they get.

If you only save replays where you do well or win, you won't see why you're losing, and you'll miss key areas for much, much longer.

Now, when you watch them, let's say you can't edgeguard the Nesses. You might be backing off when you can get nair, fair, or counter on their recovery. You might not dtilt the ledge when Ness is forced to rise over the ledge with his second jump. Stuff like that. Now, let's say the Ness is getting you easily offstage. PK Thunder gimmicks, landing dair spikes on you constantly to style, and gimping you with nair/fair/bair.

This forces you to learn how to both edgeguard and recover with Roy to win the matchup more, which in turn--

Strengthens your fundamentals greatly.

You grow in all matchups from doing this. You grow as a player from doing this. On top of struggling a lot less with Ness.
So many players claim they know matchups, but they don't apply themselves to truly learn them and end up losing them without knowing what to do once they run into certain playstyles or skill levels of that character.
You got this though. If you stay diligent in learning matchups and improving, then you will grow a lot.
Yea I've seen this video(as you recommended) and I have to agree, although I've been playing Roy for 2/3 weeks I still have so much to learn, fundamentals or otherwise. Yesterday I finally figured out how to reverse up b without the far horizontal angle, so now I don't accidentally SD as much when going for edgeguards that require a specific up b angle. Something as fundamental and simple as becoming familiar with his up b is going to help me successfully edgeguard easier. Granted I'm still new to Roy so fundamentals should probably be THAT much more important for me.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Am I the only one here who wants them to reduce Jabs endlag more? I mean, it's already fast, but I don't think it's fast enough.

I think it's plenty fast enough. It's good for covering space and it has speed to allow for easy follow ups. Roy's attacks in general are pretty good on ending lag. The only move that I think needs a lag reduction is back throw.

Advertising this because FE6, and there's some Roy matches in the background (granted they're 1AM online friendlies below my usual level of play, but still some stuff to learn from them)

Top Bottom