• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Hello, welcome to the Roy social forum. Under normal circumstances, I would just link a copy of Together We Ride (a greeting that someone started before I was watching this thread lol), and move on, but one word of caution. When you posted here, you opened with... (emphasis added)

...which forced us on the defensive in the discussion; forced us in a position where we had to defend our main. :-/

Roy has a lot of potential in the current meta, but he's pretty under-explored atm, and a lot of the people most dedicated to playing him are still working to build fundamentals as players as well as building the character, so progress here is slower than in other character sub-forums. He isn't an easy character, where you can learn a uair uair up+b death combo percents chart, nor does he have any one move that dominates any gameplay states (i.e. Sheik needles, Ness bthrow), or guaranteed quick kills. As Mason stated earlier, Roy relies on creativity and reading your opponent in order to maximize combo damage. Roy has to adapt to the play-styles of other characters in order to weave around the opponent's space and punish accordingly, meaning it takes time to build up sufficient character knowledge to use Roy as your main. Food for thought if you're going to pick him up seriously.

Either way, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time with us. :)

Pit <3

The one thing considering the Falcon comparisons I saw posted earlier, would say two things. I would argue that Roy's MU spread is more balanced than Falcon's, due to his disjoint. Roy might not dominate his positive match-ups as hard as Falcon dominates his, but in exchange, he doesn't have any borderline unwinnable match-ups either. Considering Falcon's worst MUs, he struggles heavily against short characters like Kirby and pikachu because he doesn't have disjoint/range to space around them (has to get into their effective ranges, allowing them to force trades), while they have a small frame that makes it very hard for Falcon to hit them, since many of his moves don't really hit low targets very well. Roy doesn't have that issue, since his worst MUs typically involve being spaced out, camped, or getting combo'd heavily (something we should be able to mitigate with practice) on disadvantage. We don't have the same level of coverage gaps that leave blind spots for our opponent's to exploit. We also don't have any unuseable moves in our kit, like Falcon Punch (as stylish as it is). That's just my perspective on it, at least.
Yeah, I didn't want to be on the defensive in a situation where the insight might not help, which is why I was glad for further elaboration to shift things differently first.

You nailed some of what I wanted to say that didn't come to mind right off the bat, and a lot of what needed to be said.

This interaction isn't related to the most recent patch but has anyone else been annoyed at Roy's Uair visual ? I've been in the lab trying to find the most consistent method of confirming into tilts and Roy's other kill options using reverse sourspot upair (because that side is easier to hit with the sourspot due to it's size) and i've found the hitbox and swing trail don't match up which is really saddening and it can whiff in the later half of the swing which limits it's uses. I'm aware of Nair 1, but both of these options are really tricky to land regardless so it isn't really a viable kill set up. Hoping we can spread word of this and see what can be done. Roy has the tools to pull results in tourney, I just wish sourspot upair was a bit more consistent to land so my tilts kill power could be better utilized in Neutral. Other than that I feel Roy is pretty much perfect in all regards,
If we get the word out on this, his sword trails might be fixed and he might get a range buff on some moves like Marth and Lucina. We just have to think of a way to get the word out, though...

How I feel about nair 1? If something somewhat safe requires a pretty light read (clipping someone with nair 1 when they're more focused on looking out for other kill options) then it's likely a viable kill setup. You have different options for what to confirm into after the nair, which is nice.

I tried jab -> jc usmash and I can't replicate it as a true combo at percents usmash actually kills. DI cripples any chance of it, rage may too. If they DI in with jab, you could mess them up with it. THOUGH nair 1 jc usmash can have uses if they try to jump after nair 1, it seems.

Speaking of the Smash subreddit (and YouTube), I don't know about any of you guys but does the Roy bashing in those communities seem a tad fishy to you?

Not going to name names, but I remember I saw one user state that they would have preferred X character over Roy, and X character was their least favorite character in Smash. Then they would go on writing lengthy posts to people convincing others why Roy is bad. They do make good analyses sometimes; the analyses are well written and are organized. However, I feel that part of the reason why they're so hostile to Roy is because they don't like him period. I feel like this applies to a good percentage of people who think Roy is low/bottom tier. They may not like him as a character and they're probably unhappy to see that he has been added back in the game. Doesn't apply to everyone who thinks Roy is low/mid tier, but I feel it applies to quite a few people.

What's also fishy is the seemingly lack of people who use Roy. It CAN'T be because he's low/bottom tier. Samus, Dedede and Shulk mains are very dedicated to their character. I'd see so many combo vids of these characters and these characters don't seem to get nearly as much flak as Roy does. They even have bigger player bases, and it seriously cannot be because they're absolutely amazing characters. I have a theory that those characters may have bigger and more dedicated fanbases because they're not controversial characters within their own series. Xenoblade fans like Shulk, so they main Shulk. Metroid fans like Samus, so they main Samus. Kirby fans like Dedede, so they main Dedede. Fire Emblem fans, however, have mixed opinions on Roy, and in my experience I feel that most FE fans either don't like or don't care for Roy. Many classic fans prefer powerful lords, and the Awakening/Fates fans probably aren't as attached to the older games. Add that with the fact that Roy wasn't in the initial roster and you have an unpopular character in the meta. Unpopular even compared to other "low tiers" like Zelda, Ganon and Jigglypuff.

I could be wrong. Maybe Samus (1.1.5 of course), Dedede and Shulk aren't really that bad? I mean, I don't main Shulk anymore, and I haven't been keeping up with the current meta of these characters. I could be wrong about them being low tier. What I'm trying to say is this: How come some of the other so-called "low tiers" have more dedicated players than Roy? And before you say "because DLC", keep in mind that even Lucas has one or two notable mains and a few 'results' (whatever that means).

One more thing I want to add: I remember during the Ryu/Roy/Lucas patch, Roy was barely being labbed despite the hype at the time. People had put more focus into labbing Ryu I believe. Don't even remember Roy placing in a tournament. In fact, aside from Static Manny, I don't think anyone even mained Roy, let alone used him as a secondary. No wonder people probably think he's bad, lol. His meta didn't even start when there was hype.

I apologize if my wording sounds a little... unrefined? I'm trying to get some sort of discussion here. I'm spotting out a few patterns here and there and such patterns make me suspicious of the whole "Roy's low tier" thing. Granted, I'm suspicious of the "Roy's high tier" belief too ("I have to see it to believe it" kinda thing), but the "low tier" belief seems to have a few more egregious flaws here and there.
Don't be afraid to name them, I'd enjoy calling out their bull**** if they've been doing it recently and having a Roy debate, for old times sake :p
I could probably rip apart their analyses easily if I wanted, and I probably have a while back if they were active during pre-DLC days.
If they're a regular on the Robin forums and who I'm thinking of, then I probably have at least once.

It really is a bit fishy to hear that many people dislike his inclusion, since his reception was overwhelmingly positive with little negativity almost everywhere in June. The like/dislike ratio on his reveal video is part of the proof. He was always a regular top 3/5 contender for DLC in different regions and parts of the internet, but the majority of the Smash community is casual; entirely separate from the competitive community. He seems to be pretty popular among casual players, at least. Almost all people I rallied support from last year and in 2014 were casual players, with very few competitive ones sprinkled in here and there, and the competitive players from back then never really got their names out and still play Roy.

I do recall you browsing more toxic and generally-biased FE forums than others, namely r/fireemblem, so that perspective makes sense. You ran into a lot of vocal minorities on the character and misinformed players. However, I will say that most Fire Emblem fans in the world are at least fond of Roy, both from personal experience and pure statistics I could dig up, and that he's easily more popular than you gave him credit for a while back. I'm aware of the novice players who treat Ephraim/Hector as the best and most well-written characters ever, but thankfully they're only a minority of the fanbase, and people here simply make them sound like a greater part of the fanbase than they are.

Gnes won singles with Roy at KSL14 on release, Smash G0d won Cville Smash on release, MrQ won Rebirth around release with Roy, and I occasionally get a GF's up when I do compete in tournaments with actual streaming. A lot of places in CO lack streams, outside of our absolute best events a few times a year.
I've been more focused on moving, weight and going from 265 to 210 or less soon (so far less than 35-40 more to go!), and other life stuff lately, so I just play friendlies and lab a few times a week for now.

I believe JoestarPride also pulled some great results on release with Roy.

Rubix and Etho won doubles with Roy and Wario on release.

Calm, Apa, AD, Judge, semifer, and India (who I believe changed her name, maybe to or from Athena) are some other Roys to look for who aren't discussed much that I found skimming old results. There's more, but those are the ones I grabbed from the corner of my eye skimming.

It's pretty much what you've described, Roy in the US isn't looked at as greatly as the more powerful Lords, a lot of FE fans here do hate him.
To be fair he doesn't show as much emotion as his smash rep in his original game but still retains his and stoic and idealist nature. Japan loves all the lords but I think the meta greatly influences the lack of Roy play, They prefer defensive and consistent play patterns which isn't how Roy does things.
(Small rant incoming) Also people really fanboy over Marth due to his days in Melee.

Overall we can get Roy in the competitive scene and do well, I believe we just need to lab it up and be vocal over our findings.
Bring Deh Ph1r3 Boyz
He actually is more respected than that, it's just a case of people running into vocal minorities and getting the impression that they're much bigger than they are. To say that most FE fans hate him is a huge, huge stretch and outright untrue.
Even if a number of fans might hate him, it's nowhere near most.

You can blame some views on his character on more dry, basic translations over the last decade. Shadowofchaos posted a better translation on him tumblr, and not many people were exposed to Roy's character through a decent translation.
One reason he's highly popular among Japanese players, is because their view of the character wasn't muddied through a poor translation.
Even though I was exposed to a poor translation, I still saw great strength and many merits in his character that made him stand out. He's very down-to-earth and honest, and his character development is fantastic as a Fire Emblem lord. He's definitely underrated and one of the more well-written characters of the series overall.

If Roy was a boring, weak character who didn't show enough emotion, then I wouldn't like him, because I always dislike boring, weak, dry characters fundamentally. But I've never had a problem with Roy's character, sooooo. :p

Roy may not be popular competitively, but that doesn't really mean much, if anything negatively for his character. We just need to keep playing, hanging out, and enjoying our time with him rather than overthinking and dwelling on negatives, it'll get us nowhere.

Btw, I can't get enough of his promoted Cipher art, there's just so much power in every part of it.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Pit <3

The one thing considering the Falcon comparisons I saw posted earlier, would say two things. I would argue that Roy's MU spread is more balanced than Falcon's, due to his disjoint. Roy might not dominate his positive match-ups as hard as Falcon dominates his, but in exchange, he doesn't have any borderline unwinnable match-ups either. Considering Falcon's worst MUs, he struggles heavily against short characters like Kirby and pikachu because he doesn't have disjoint/range to space around them (has to get into their effective ranges, allowing them to force trades), while they have a small frame that makes it very hard for Falcon to hit them, since many of his moves don't really hit low targets very well. Roy doesn't have that issue, since his worst MUs typically involve being spaced out, camped, or getting combo'd heavily (something we should be able to mitigate with practice) on disadvantage. We don't have the same level of coverage gaps that leave blind spots for our opponent's to exploit. We also don't have any unuseable moves in our kit, like Falcon Punch (as stylish as it is). That's just my perspective on it, at least.
"FLOOR ICE-CREAM GIVES YOU HEALTH!!!"

Yeah, I had these similar thoughts and what seems to be a common conclusion in this thread.

What? Falcon Punch isn't unusable, you just need to be absolutely fabulous to use it correctly.

:135:

"FLOOR ICE-CREAM GIVES YOU HEALTH!!!"

Yeah, I had these similar thoughts and what seems to be a common conclusion in this thread.

What? Falcon Punch isn't unusable, you just need to be absolutely fabulous to use it correctly.

tfw you read an airdodge into the ground after dthrow and Falcon Punch someone in friendlies

it's somewhere in Falcon matches I'll upload soon

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hey, welcome to the social thread lol. Hope you enjoy your time here.

This interaction isn't related to the most recent patch but has anyone else been annoyed at Roy's Uair visual ? I've been in the lab trying to find the most consistent method of confirming into tilts and Roy's other kill options using reverse sourspot upair (because that side is easier to hit with the sourspot due to it's size) and i've found the hitbox and swing trail don't match up which is really saddening and it can whiff in the later half of the swing which limits it's uses. I'm aware of Nair 1, but both of these options are really tricky to land regardless so it isn't really a viable kill set up. Hoping we can spread word of this and see what can be done. Roy has the tools to pull results in tourney, I just wish sourspot upair was a bit more consistent to land so my tilts kill power could be better utilized in Neutral. Other than that I feel Roy is pretty much perfect in all regards,
I use the back hit of uair like, all the time lol. I'm not good at getting the hit confirms, but I'm pretty sure that's because I need more practice. Sour uair hit confirms into up+b at higher percents (when it can kill), into tilts, as well as grab depending on their reactions (I get the grab a lot, still working on the others lol). I haven't really had much issue with it whiffing, but I use it fairly high up compared to other Roys, so that I can space it. Maybe you aren't timing it properly? We're definitely working to explore uair's combo potential, and it is pretty useful. Nair 1 as well. Just gotta learn your spacing lol.

Btw guys I had also found a kill set up off of jab into Jcanceled here's the link.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RoyMains/comments/49ktkz/kill_set_up_for_roy/

It's a true combo but the reason I don't state it's a kill confirm is because I'm not sure how DI changes it. (I only have the 3DS version atm and can't test it.)
If you could test out how it does change this I'd be grateful. Because it if it still true then looks like we'd have our first reliable kill combo out of neutral.

(If this does stay true I will take a second and say that this set up is called The Tengen Toppa) Lol
^ setup is di'able rip.

Speaking of the Smash subreddit (and YouTube), I don't know about any of you guys but does the Roy bashing in those communities seem a tad fishy to you?

Not going to name names, but I remember I saw one user state that they would have preferred X character over Roy, and X character was their least favorite character in Smash. Then they would go on writing lengthy posts to people convincing others why Roy is bad. They do make good analyses sometimes; the analyses are well written and are organized. However, I feel that part of the reason why they're so hostile to Roy is because they don't like him period. I feel like this applies to a good percentage of people who think Roy is low/bottom tier. They may not like him as a character and they're probably unhappy to see that he has been added back in the game. Doesn't apply to everyone who thinks Roy is low/mid tier, but I feel it applies to quite a few people.

What's also fishy is the seemingly lack of people who use Roy. It CAN'T be because he's low/bottom tier. Samus, Dedede and Shulk mains are very dedicated to their character. I'd see so many combo vids of these characters and these characters don't seem to get nearly as much flak as Roy does. They even have bigger player bases, and it seriously cannot be because they're absolutely amazing characters. I have a theory that those characters may have bigger and more dedicated fanbases because they're not controversial characters within their own series. Xenoblade fans like Shulk, so they main Shulk. Metroid fans like Samus, so they main Samus. Kirby fans like Dedede, so they main Dedede. Fire Emblem fans, however, have mixed opinions on Roy, and in my experience I feel that most FE fans either don't like or don't care for Roy. Many classic fans prefer powerful lords, and the Awakening/Fates fans probably aren't as attached to the older games. Add that with the fact that Roy wasn't in the initial roster and you have an unpopular character in the meta. Unpopular even compared to other "low tiers" like Zelda, Ganon and Jigglypuff.

I could be wrong. Maybe Samus (1.1.5 of course), Dedede and Shulk aren't really that bad? I mean, I don't main Shulk anymore, and I haven't been keeping up with the current meta of these characters. I could be wrong about them being low tier. What I'm trying to say is this: How come some of the other so-called "low tiers" have more dedicated players than Roy? And before you say "because DLC", keep in mind that even Lucas has one or two notable mains and a few 'results' (whatever that means).

One more thing I want to add: I remember during the Ryu/Roy/Lucas patch, Roy was barely being labbed despite the hype at the time. People had put more focus into labbing Ryu I believe. Don't even remember Roy placing in a tournament. In fact, aside from Static Manny, I don't think anyone even mained Roy, let alone used him as a secondary. No wonder people probably think he's bad, lol. His meta didn't even start when there was hype.

I apologize if my wording sounds a little... unrefined? I'm trying to get some sort of discussion here. I'm spotting out a few patterns here and there and such patterns make me suspicious of the whole "Roy's low tier" thing. Granted, I'm suspicious of the "Roy's high tier" belief too ("I have to see it to believe it" kinda thing), but the "low tier" belief seems to have a few more egregious flaws here and there.
I have a pretty different viewpoint on this, tbh. I think a lot of people overemphasize Roy's supposed unpopularity, especially in smash. I think a lot of the current group of mains haven't played Roy's original game (uhhhhhh me included) and while we're slightly biased by the widespread opinion that Roy was bad in his game, to us he's a Smash character first, and an incredibly fun one to play as. Looking at community, though, I'd say Roy's is one of the biggest of the character communities as of now. I know the discord has 350+, and it's pretty active as well. Not to mention, an active Smashboards social thread ( ;) ), and a somewhat active /r/RoyMains (I lurk lol, but don't really post there), as well as Facebook communities.

We don't really have definite top level player representation, which gives people outside of the community a skewed opinion, but that'll come with time. We've got the talent here, we're still just building foundation atm. We have had significantly less time to build than other character metas, but we'll get there lol.

Also, I feel like the "Roy has no tournament results" thing is definitely over-emphasized. I'm one of the ones that helps collect Roy tournament results data from here and the discord, and we are pulling in local and regional results. I think it's just that because Roys aren't appearing on major streams, people assume they aren't appearing anywhere.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Eh, I more annoyed by the fact that it just doesn't kill. I mean seriously, why is it most other characters get an Uair that kills and combos get Roy doesn't? It just hits (or feels like) it hits so hard and It doesn't kill until like 200% (with rage)

WHICH IS WHY I

This is no time for me to rest :4lucina:

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614

I use the back hit of uair like, all the time lol. I'm not good at getting the hit confirms, but I'm pretty sure that's because I need more practice. Sour uair hit confirms into up+b at higher percents (when it can kill), into tilts, as well as grab depending on their reactions (I get the grab a lot, still working on the others lol). I haven't really had much issue with it whiffing, but I use it fairly high up compared to other Roys, so that I can space it. Maybe you aren't timing it properly? We're definitely working to explore uair's combo potential, and it is pretty useful. Nair 1 as well. Just gotta learn your spacing lol.

^ setup is di'able rip.

I have a pretty different viewpoint on this, tbh. I think a lot of people overemphasize Roy's supposed unpopularity, especially in smash. I think a lot of the current group of mains haven't played Roy's original game (uhhhhhh me included) and while we're slightly biased by the widespread opinion that Roy was bad in his game, to us he's a Smash character first, and an incredibly fun one to play as. Looking at community, though, I'd say Roy's is one of the biggest of the character communities as of now. I know the discord has 350+, and it's pretty active as well. Not to mention, an active Smashboards social thread ( ;) ), and a somewhat active /r/RoyMains (I lurk lol, but don't really post there), as well as Facebook communities.

We don't really have definite top level player representation, which gives people outside of the community a skewed opinion, but that'll come with time. We've got the talent here, we're still just building foundation atm. We have had significantly less time to build than other character metas, but we'll get there lol.

Also, I feel like the "Roy has no tournament results" thing is definitely over-emphasized. I'm one of the ones that helps collect Roy tournament results data from here and the discord, and we are pulling in local and regional results. I think it's just that because Roys aren't appearing on major streams, people assume they aren't appearing anywhere.

Thanks for the response on the combo, Noting that.

On the whole Uair and Nair 1 thing It could very well be that lol. I've been mostly focusing on out of neutral options and in my searching I noticed Sethlon also mentioned some points about Uair and Nair 1 giving the same answer that it def does work but it's just really tricky to pull off mid match, Nair 1 doesn't have a big window so it limits it. Like you were saying it's mostly Uair that going to be the one doing these setups the best, The reverse hitbox will def be the one that I can see doing the setups due it larger hitbox. (The front one is best used in cross up situations because of how small the hitbox is there)

I do agree with what you're saying for his popularity, keep in mind all I have to go off are far as options on him is from smashreddit/ Rip.
They pretty much hate on everything. I've started watching a walkthrough of FE Binding Blade recently. (I have not played his game either) But I so far I'm finding him as a pretty awesome person.) He's idealist, deals well with pressuring situations quite well, and all around a pretty humble person. I haven't gotten far enough in to see things really getting lost in translation yet.

For the Tournament results I hear you there, Our second best player in NC last month was a Roy main believe.
On another note I think I had just added you on facebook. First name is Louis.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

On the whole Uair and Nair 1 thing It could very well be that lol. I've been mostly focusing on out of neutral options and in my searching I noticed Sethlon also mentioned some points about Uair and Nair 1 giving the same answer that it def does work but it's just really tricky to pull off mid match, Nair 1 doesn't have a big window so it limits it. Like you were saying it's mostly Uair that going to be the one doing these setups the best, The reverse hitbox will def be the one that I can see doing the setups due it larger hitbox. (The front one is best used in cross up situations because of how small the hitbox is there)

I do agree with what you're saying for his popularity, keep in mind all I have to go off are far as options on him is from smashreddit/ Rip.
They pretty much hate on everything. I've started watching a walkthrough of FE Binding Blade recently. (I have not played his game either) But I so far I'm finding him as a pretty awesome person.) He's idealist, deals well with pressuring situations quite well, and all around a pretty humble person. I haven't gotten far enough in to see things really getting lost in translation yet.

For the Tournament results I hear you there, Our second best player in NC last month was a Roy main believe.
Here is an informative video on uair combos, to help you practice. Uair is super useful, and getting the followups is definitely possible because Serew Serew does them on me lol.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Eh, I more annoyed by the fact that it just doesn't kill. I mean seriously, why is it most other characters get an Uair that kills and combos get Roy doesn't? It just hits (or feels like) it hits so hard and It doesn't kill until like 200% (with rage)

This is no time for me to rest :4lucina:

Sour spot Uair Combo's into tilts and Blazer for kills, but it's kinda tricky to land (at least for me it is) But yeah I hear what you're saying though. It's kinda weird. You would think it would at least kill at similar percents to Marth or Lucinas. I'd think closer to Lucinas.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Here is an informative video on uair combos, to help you practice. Uair is super useful, and getting the followups is definitely possible because Serew Serew does them on me lol.

Thanks I remembered seeing this somewhere but I don't think I had saved it. Oh I don't doubt it's possible to hit them with it XD.
I just really want to optimize this option. Theorycrafting and labing is where I get my hype.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
Speaking of set ups, one thing I've been working into my game is footstools. I've noticed with his overall air movement Roy can footstool very well. It's actually one of my mix ups on downthrow if they try to airdodge. If I can read a offstage airdodge I'll punish it with a footstool if I can. I have not idea why, but I can footstool like a champ with Roy but almost nobody else.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sour spot Uair Combo's into tilts and Blazer for kills, but it's kinda tricky to land (at least for me it is) But yeah I hear what you're saying though. It's kinda weird. You would think it would at least kill at similar percents to Marth or Lucinas. I'd think closer to Lucinas.
Yeah I know it's a pretty good combo move, but still it's a little annoying at times.

This helps a lot!!!

Thanks.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Wow, thanks for the awesome responses dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 EnGarde EnGarde . I'm glad this character has such dedicated players, and I feel like I have a much more solid image of how he works now. I personally play the game to try and uncover the potential of characters that I think are slept on, and that I enjoy playing as, which is why I'm a Lucas main. I'm looking into Roy though because I've only heard the reddit hate circlejerk about him (disclaimer: I don't agree with it at all), and I want to believe in his potential. He's one of my favorite characters in all of Smash and Fire Emblem (he was my ballot vote as well).

Either way, I plan to stick around. This forum seems awesome.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Wow, thanks for the awesome responses dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 EnGarde EnGarde . I'm glad this character has such dedicated players, and I feel like I have a much more solid image of how he works now. I personally play the game to try and uncover the potential of characters that I think are slept on, and that I enjoy playing as, which is why I'm a Lucas main. I'm looking into Roy though because I've only heard the reddit hate circlejerk about him (disclaimer: I don't agree with it at all), and I want to believe in his potential. He's one of my favorite characters in all of Smash and Fire Emblem (he was my ballot vote as well).

Welcome aboard! I've been with the Roys for a while now and i can tell it's super fun :D

So has anyone gotten their amiibo's yet? :p Gonna get mine tomorrow! (unless something gets in the way, then monday ;-; )
There's been a bit of a tourney-less period here for me :( There's a kinda big one tomorrow but it's a bit too far away :p Will be going to Avalon U-III on 2nd of april tho

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Idk. I like amiibos, but usually don't go out of my way to get them. I'll stop by the ol' gamestop on the way home though and see if they've got any. I don't live in a very populated area, so my chances of finding one may be decent.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
tfw you read an airdodge into the ground after dthrow and Falcon Punch someone in friendlies

it's somewhere in Falcon matches I'll upload soon
tfw you get falcon punched in friendly doubles the day after posting this. :p

We also don't have any unuseable moves in our kit, like Falcon Punch (as stylish as it is).
There's a Reddit Circlejerk?
Hey, was wondering when you'd poke around here :p Like all newcomers to the social thread, here's some music to listen to while you hang out lol.

Did a quick search to see if I could find a non-extended version of this, and youtube rick roll'd me lol.

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 3.01.16 PM.png

My personal experience with reddit is mainly browsing the front page of /r/smashbros for montages/funny gfys, and /r/svexchange for SV hatching legit (non-hacked) shiny pokemon (was a great community when I was active there). I lurk /r/RoyMains sometimes too lol. I'm in the /r/fireemblem discord, where I mostly just lurk, so I haven't personally witnessed toxicity.

As for amiibos...

I pre-ordered Roy a while ago, though that won't get in until the end of next week. </3 So, while I was getting Pokken Tournament, I noticed the Roy amiibos sitting behind the counter, and kinda...made an impulse purchase lol. So I guess, now I'll have one open that I can use, and one in box that I can keep as a collectible. Or something like that. (I am such a fangirl smh LOL) I'm really happy with the quality of the amiibo. It's really well done, and I got one with a good face. The paint is well done, and they even added small gold detailing on Roy's headband so that it looks right lol. There is also the pretty cool symbol on the back of Roy's cape (something you wouldn't notice unless you take it out of the box, which is pretty cool.

roy amiibo and pokken.JPG

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
I pre-ordered Roy a while ago, though that won't get in until the end of next week. </3 So, while I was getting Pokken Tournament, I noticed the Roy amiibos sitting behind the counter, and kinda...made an impulse purchase lol. So I guess, now I'll have one open that I can use, and one in box that I can keep as a collectible. Or something like that. (I am such a fangirl smh LOL) I'm really happy with the quality of the amiibo. It's really well done, and I got one with a good face. The paint is well done, and they even added small gold detailing on Roy's headband so that it looks right lol. There is also the pretty cool symbol on the back of Roy's cape (something you wouldn't notice unless you take it out of the box, which is pretty cool.

I'm going to be picking mine up tomorrow and wow I knew Roy's amiibo was good quality when I preordered it but the detail looks so solid. At least one of my mains has a great looking amiibo. Ike's makes me flat out cry, Robin has a great one too but he's mainly a secondary.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
As for amiibos...

Nice. I'll be getting mine today hopefully :)

Oh you got Pokken Tournament? Awesome. Could you possible give us a review of your opinion on it? I am considering getting it.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
I pre-ordered and bought an extra Roy amiibo to open. I know the whole scalper problem is over but I did so just encase. Now reprint some more Robin and Lucina Nintendo. Also maybe do more justice for the Marth amiibo.

Anyway with Sheik no longer top spot, we need to worry less about her and more about the Rosa and Bayonetta MU. As well as the Diddy Kong MU because I feel most Sheik players relying on Sheik alone will move to Diddy Kong. With Sheiks fair reduction and no longer 50/50 kills it may be not as bad as a MU.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I an unrelated topic, I need my some help guys.

I'm tiring to decide if I should get the Zelda new 3ds XL or the Fates one but I can't decide.

Heres the thing

I want to choose the Zelda on cause Zelda my fav series off all time but I kind of like the looks of the Fates one more. It's just a bit more simple and I like it. Argh, I don't know, helps please?

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1

I'm tiring to decide if I should get the Zelda new 3ds XL or the Fates one but I can't decide.

Heres the thing

I want to choose the Zelda on cause Zelda my fav series off all time but I kind of like the looks of the Fates one more. It's just a bit more simple and I like it. Argh, I don't know, helps please?

Are you talking about the Gold Zelda one? If so, get that one, it's sick.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
I have the Fates one and its a pretty good looking one, the black side gets pretty smudgy but that really doesn't matter much.

Also sorry, Gonna start labbing Lucario.....in Pokken, dudes a beast in this game and I even found a flashy but unoptimal combo. Roy might have to go in the backburner for now.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I have the Fates one and its a pretty good looking one, the black side gets pretty smudgy but that really doesn't matter much.

Also sorry, Gonna start labbing Lucario.....in Pokken, dudes a beast in this game and I even found a flashy but unoptimal combo. Roy might have to go in the backburner for now.
I picked it up too, but I think I'll be going Gardevoir lol. I know nothing about Tekken fighting game style.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I was in luck! They had an extra Roy amiibo among the reserved ones behind the counter. Also got a Lucas one as well like I've been meaning to.
^A7937F320F4BA52F1F82105249FE99C22E6700C6076692A095^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

I now have those two, and the Ike that my brother got me for Christmas.

Here's a very important video for us all as players and people. JoeKing used to be really hit-or-miss and made a lot of shoddy content, but I saw potential in him, so he improved a lot in recent months and I'm glad to see him do well lately.

Also, absolutely beautiful stuff I was listening to while typing all this up.

^ setup is di'able rip.

FE bs:

Roy's actually pretty good in SoS. Tier lists always rank him as a high-tier unit (70-80% of the time) or mid-tier unit for Normal, Normal Ranked, Hard, and Hard Ranked. You can see it in any given FE6 tier list you look up. He doesn't slack much as a combat unit, but a lot of his utility comes from early-game, non-combat use, and lategame SoS cheese w/ Hammerne to repair his SoS weapon. His quick A support with Lilina largely boosts her viability and can make her worth using over Lugh. Roy would be a better unit if he didn't promote near the end of his game, but he has a lot of utility and potential. Not one of the best lords, but not one of the worst. Most of the hate for him didn't spawn until Brawl support days, and I found that barrier browsing pretty archaic threads a year or two ago. Pretty much anyone who isn't a dedicated FE6 player tends to rank or discuss him as a unit incorrectly, and they often target growths (when 325 is broken for FE6 and they're used to games more saturated with growths) rather than his poor promotion time.

The only Fire Emblems I specialize in and have tons of internal knowledge on are Thracia 776 (my weakest of the three knowledge-wise, I love the game enough to catch up this summer), Binding Blade, and FE7 (one with lyn, eliwoody and hector)

Since you're enjoying Conquest and roflstomping it, I believe you'd greatly enjoy Roy's game and do well in it. I can give you the [REDACTED WORD RELATED TO A GAME COPY] and point you to [REDACTED ACTION OF ACCESSING THE GAME'S CONTENT AND GOING STEP-BY-STEP THROUGH THE INPUTS OF THE GAME IN EXTREME JOY THROUGH A PC] if you've never done it before.

If you enjoy his character so far, his support conversations, and his banter with the game's final boss and true final boss are where he shines most.

Humble and down-to-earth are qualities that make him stand out most, and the easiest qualities to describe him with.

Speaking of set ups, one thing I've been working into my game is footstools. I've noticed with his overall air movement Roy can footstool very well. It's actually one of my mix ups on downthrow if they try to airdodge. If I can read a offstage airdodge I'll punish it with a footstool if I can. I have not idea why, but I can footstool like a champ with Roy but almost nobody else.
Hmmm, I'll try this. I practice footstool combos, but I've never been able to smooth out getting footstools in actual matches.

No problem. I'm glad I know you have good, potent intentions now, and I believe in you to be able to truly push his meta. I can direct you to a lot of resources and content that will help both your Roy and your foundation as a player if you send a direct message.

There's a Reddit Circlejerk?
Yeah, it was at its strongest when I was supporting Roy for DLC. Thankfully literally all other social media got so many free/easy emails and votes lololol.

Welcome aboard! I've been with the Roys for a while now and i can tell it's super fun :D

So has anyone gotten their amiibo's yet? :p Gonna get mine tomorrow! (unless something gets in the way, then monday ;-; )
There's been a bit of a tourney-less period here for me :( There's a kinda big one tomorrow but it's a bit too far away :p Will be going to Avalon U-III on 2nd of april tho
His amiibo looks really nice, I'm waiting on mine to get here since the nearest gamestop is hours away.
I had a 25 dollar gamestop card as an xmas gift, and there was nothing I wanted with leftover money, so I put about 10 dollars into shipping alone months ago.

I'm probably naming mine MarkyJoe or MarkyJoe1990 if it fits with the Zephiel palette, since it's reminiscent of the Corruption of Roy hack he played, and it's the palette he uses.
(Markyjoe's basically a youtuber who plays and reviews a lot of Fire Emblem hacks, really funny guy I've followed for the longest time and probably my favorite person ever)

Good luck for Avalon!!

Heres the thing

get fates for the mighty morphin male corrin

play garchomp too

Last edited:
So I had a thought:

Roy's amiibo doesn't come out in Japan until April 28th, and Japanese developers are handling the DLC of Fates.

So the reason I got my hopes up for him having more amiibo compatibility, is because I didn't think of international release dates.

I have faith we'll see more content around that time.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Is there a list of Roy's guaranteed combos throughout the percents? A lot of times when I get a grab (especially at mid percents), I'm not sure what follow up to go for, since Roy has so many but not all of them are true. Speaking of which, is Jab > Up B actually a kill confirm, or is it escapable with DI?

Is there a list of Roy's guaranteed combos throughout the percents? A lot of times when I get a grab (especially at mid percents), I'm not sure what follow up to go for, since Roy has so many but not all of them are true. Speaking of which, is Jab > Up B actually a kill confirm, or is it escapable with DI?
You have to react differently to a lot of different stuff, so I can't just say "always fthrow nair at 29%" or anything like that. You have to be very reactive to where an opponent's sent after a move to capitalize on their hitstun or otherwise prone states if you want the best true combos available, and it's something acquired and learned with practice.
React better, hesitate less, use aerial momentum well to combo.
You have a lot of situations where you can go for a safe read and then punish hard, or you could miss the read and still be in a position to punish hard.
I'd honestly rather cover your jab -> blazer question in a different post, for now there's more important things to touch base on.
If you message me, I can give you general combo ranges to start with, what to do to still get the punish in many scenarios where you're just a bit short of a true combo, and how to mix up combo throws for lots of damage or free stocks.

BUT

Only think of it as a starting point.
Think of it as a way to branch out from and learn, don't get complacent with it.
If you focus on nothing but true combos and stuff that's easy to guarantee off one or two steps, your Roy's going to be weak in general punishes, and you won't take the character far. You'll likely be just another player who writes the character off without even trying, and it's a missed growth opportunity as a person and a player.
It's a really bad idea to just give anyone a % chart and nothing else with this character, many people don't utilize this character because they don't want to invest outside of their comfort zones and would rather take an easier route.

As a Roy? Be creative, be ready for multiple branching situations all the time, and be ready to fail at first without becoming negative or pessimistic. Much more guaranteed stuff will open up to you in time.
Focus on setups and traps a lot, because they're still guaranteed and do more for you if you're willing to reach that next level. We all need to make sure we approach the character correctly.
If anything in this post is truly important, it's this video:

In a lot of situations, you want to react well to different possibilities.
Such as: if your opponent is forced into a tech situation, what to do if they burn their second jump while you're on them, how to guarantee a punish off of them trying to jump out of stuff, how to punish them furthest once they have no jump after that hit, punishing airdodges properly, and punishing landings.
Everything takes time to come together beautifully. Roy will bridge your fundamentals together and make you a much better player if you accept what it takes to bring out his tools. You will need months of specific investment, where you constantly review your own replays, take notes of where you do well and where you can improve, strengthen weaker fundamentals, learn many player/character matchups with Roy, and regularly play with strong players. I would advise hopping into the Roy Discord to play Thomsa (Serew) and/or EnGarde at least once or twice a week, if you're interested I can somehow find a link.

You have very strong tools to punish techs and landings, but you need to learn how to tech chase on reaction, you need to learn how to properly punish landings, and you need to be able to branch your punishes and wrestle with your weaknesses over time until things come together.

Roy's neutral and punish game are too potent for him to be anywhere near bad, especially with both his ground speed and air speed. His tools are great, just difficult to utilize. I still have a lot of immediate room to work on as a player and within Roy himself, and I can still vouch for him being a great tournament character where I never truly feel disadvantaged and can pin every one of my tournament losses on fundamental weaknesses or lack of adaptation rather than not having the tools I need for a matchup.

That's my personal anecdote though, it's ultimately up to you and you only to form an opinion on Roy after real investment.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
You have to react differently to a lot of different stuff, so I can't just say "always fthrow nair at 29%" or anything like that. You have to be very reactive to where an opponent's sent after a move to capitalize on their hitstun or otherwise prone states if you want the best true combos available, and it's something acquired and learned with practice.
React better, hesitate less, use aerial momentum well to combo.
You have a lot of situations where you can go for a safe read and then punish hard, or you could miss the read and still be in a position to punish hard.
I'd honestly rather cover your jab -> blazer question in a different post, for now there's more important things to touch base on.
If you message me, I can give you general combo ranges to start with, what to do to still get the punish in many scenarios where you're just a bit short of a true combo, and how to mix up combo throws for lots of damage or free stocks.

BUT

Only think of it as a starting point.
Think of it as a way to branch out from and learn, don't get complacent with it.
If you focus on nothing but true combos and stuff that's easy to guarantee off one or two steps, your Roy's going to be weak in general punishes, and you won't take the character far. You'll likely be just another player who writes the character off without even trying, and it's a missed growth opportunity as a person and a player.
It's a really bad idea to just give anyone a % chart and nothing else with this character, many people don't utilize this character because they don't want to invest outside of their comfort zones and would rather take an easier route.

As a Roy? Be creative, be ready for multiple branching situations all the time, and be ready to fail at first without becoming negative or pessimistic. Much more guaranteed stuff will open up to you in time.
Focus on setups and traps a lot, because they're still guaranteed and do more for you if you're willing to reach that next level. We all need to make sure we approach the character correctly.
If anything in this post is truly important, it's this video:

In a lot of situations, you want to react well to different possibilities.
Such as: if your opponent is forced into a tech situation, what to do if they burn their second jump while you're on them, how to guarantee a punish off of them trying to jump out of stuff, how to punish them furthest once they have no jump after that hit, punishing airdodges properly, and punishing landings.
Everything takes time to come together beautifully. Roy will bridge your fundamentals together and make you a much better player if you accept what it takes to bring out his tools. You will need months of specific investment, where you constantly review your own replays, take notes of where you do well and where you can improve, strengthen weaker fundamentals, learn many player/character matchups with Roy, and regularly play with strong players. I would advise hopping into the Roy Discord to play Thomsa (Serew) and/or EnGarde at least once or twice a week, if you're interested I can somehow find a link.

You have very strong tools to punish techs and landings, but you need to learn how to tech chase on reaction, you need to learn how to properly punish landings, and you need to be able to branch your punishes and wrestle with your weaknesses over time until things come together.

Roy's neutral and punish game are too potent for him to be anywhere near bad, especially with both his ground speed and air speed. His tools are great, just difficult to utilize. I still have a lot of immediate room to work on as a player and within Roy himself, and I can still vouch for him being a great tournament character where I never truly feel disadvantaged and can pin every one of my tournament losses on fundamental weaknesses or lack of adaptation rather than not having the tools I need for a matchup.

That's my personal anecdote though, it's ultimately up to you and you only to form an opinion on Roy after real investment.
I just got through playing like 4 hours of friendlies with a Sheik, and I definitely can see what you mean by needing to be creative with combos. Sometimes I got Dthrow > Fair/Nair/Uair, sometimes the Fthrow > Nair, and even some 1st hit Nair and falling Uair combos. Keeping the opponent on their toes seems to be key to get in the good stuff. After these friendlies, I also definitely don't think Roy is bad at all anymore. I realize now I only thought that because I never really looked beyond the surface of the character. I also got 3 shield breaks, so that was fun.

And yeah, I'd be super interested in joining the Roy Discord if you can dig up the link.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I just got through playing like 4 hours of friendlies with a Sheik, and I definitely can see what you mean by needing to be creative with combos. Sometimes I got Dthrow > Fair/Nair/Uair, sometimes the Fthrow > Nair, and even some 1st hit Nair and falling Uair combos. Keeping the opponent on their toes seems to be key to get in the good stuff. After these friendlies, I also definitely don't think Roy is bad at all anymore. I realize now I only thought that because I never really looked beyond the surface of the character. I also got 3 shield breaks, so that was fun.

And yeah, I'd be super interested in joining the Roy Discord if you can dig up the link.
Here is the link https://discord.gg/0am7ORpgdo39CG1l

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Nice. I'll be getting mine today hopefully :)

Oh you got Pokken Tournament? Awesome. Could you possible give us a review of your opinion on it? I am considering getting it.

I missed this yesterday, but I'm still getting my feet under me in this game, so to speak, so I'll give a more in depth review in a little while. Right now I can say the graphics look good, the mechanics are easy enough that I'm not entirely overwhelmed, but there is definitely some challenge in playing it, especially for a "traditional" fighting game newbie like me (this is pretty much the only fighting game I've ever seriously played lol). I'm enjoying it, that's for sure lol.

Anyway with Sheik no longer top spot, we need to worry less about her and more about the Rosa and Bayonetta MU. As well as the Diddy Kong MU because I feel most Sheik players relying on Sheik alone will move to Diddy Kong. With Sheiks fair reduction and no longer 50/50 kills it may be not as bad as a MU.
Fun fact: if the Rosa has luma around, and tries to do a normal ledge-getup, luma makes the hitboxes for flare blade stay out longer, which pretty much guarantee that you'll hit Rosa as well. If the flare blade has partial charge, that's one way to end stocks lol. I don't have a lot of experience in the MU, but I feel like it's one of the easier ones, but I've only played mid-level Rosas, not high level ones.

Diddy Kong, on the other hand. Hmm. That one is tougher. >.o Diddy's excellent neutral with banana, and the mixup options given by having a command grab are hard.

Bayo...is an odd matchup. I've played it a few times, and one of my losses at Glitch was to a Bayo, but I'm still not quite sure what to make of it on the whole (lost due to weaker fundamentals as a player rather than making claims on the character MU objectively). I kinda suspect once we get used to her hitboxes, the fact that many of her options are really slow on the ground, and the fact that she has a lot of commitment, will change the MU quite a bit once we get used to it. Just an observation, though.

As for Sheik, I agree: without the ability to easily end our stocks, and now that we can force trades easier, I think the MU is drastically different than before.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I
Diddy Kong, on the other hand. Hmm. That one is tougher. >.o Diddy's excellent neutral with banana, and the mixup options given by having a command grab are hard.
I can imagine that we lose hard to Diddy because Nair is non-existent in that MU

We can't approach because he'll toss a banana under us, will hop over us with Fair/Falling Nair, or if we play super campy he can deal with that with his Command Grabs, projectiles and strong af grab game. :S

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Yeah diddy imo is one of our most difficult matchups, I was gonna play with a diddy player but i haven't yet, really should get to that :p

Got pokken and Roy amiibo today, woo!

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Does anyone have any insight on the RosaLuma MU? That tends to be my worst up with Roy, What moves of ours are best/safest to deal with Luma without getting aggro from Rosa? As my playstyle wants me to take Luma out hit and run style before I contest Rosa because her walling is better then ours making that option less optimal.

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any insight on the RosaLuma MU? That tends to be my worst up with Roy, What moves of ours are best/safest to deal with Luma without getting aggro from Rosa? As my playstyle wants me to take Luma out hit and run style before I contest Rosa because her walling is better then ours making that option less optimal.
Getting rid of luma is indeed the best option most of our moves kill luma which is really useful :p usually if you spam jab at luma it'll get stuck, forcing rosa to attack you to break luma free. you can punish what she goes for though!
Also as long as you avoid her kill setups and predict how she's gonna edgeguard you'll end up with alot of rage, and with her being light, you'll kill her easily! Also keep in mind she's very tall, this can help alot while covering getups and hitting her in general :p if the rosa goes for normal getup with luma using fsmash or flare blade can easily hit her with extended hitboxes. This also makes hitting blazer on her easier!

Also i think the best place to ask this is the Q&A thread, might be wrong though lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom