• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I can understand that confusion. I just feel more natural playing with Dark Pit and I just like him more as a character. Not saying Pit's bad.
In that case that's fair enough.

I like and play Pit wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than Pittoo, admittedly lol. I like his cornball personality better, and I like his better arrows and the fact that his tipper ftilt is a kill move. I use him over Pittoo entirely because personal preference, since I know Pittoo now has that awesome side+b.
Pittoo way too edgy. Seriously, everytime i play him, i always end up with a cut on myself. I don't know why. But seriously, I just love Pit's cinnamon personality sooooo much more than Pittoo. Though Pittoo is pretty cool too.

:135:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Pittoo way too edgy. Seriously, everytime i play him, i always end up with a cut on myself. I don't know why. But seriously, I just love Pit's cinnamon personality sooooo much more than Pittoo. Though Pittoo is pretty cool too.

Dark Pit's my favorite Uprising character, so I can certainly tell you he's more than just "ow the edge". I can see why you would get that impression, though.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Dark Pit's my favorite Uprising character, so I can certainly tell you he's more than just "ow the edge". I can see why you would get that impression, though.
I've played Uprising too, so i know the jerk that he is. Though i thing he was done much better than another edge character the we all know.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I've played Uprising too, so i know the jerk that he is. Though i thing he was done much better than another edge character the we all know.

Yeah. I'll admit thought that I also have a thing for evil/anti hero doppelgangers of characters (Metal Sonic's my favorite Sonic character, for one).

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I think both characters are great, I just like Pit a bit better lol. Here is a small taste of the cornball:

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Sup guys!

So what are your thoughts about Roy being considered Low Tier?

Don;t get me wrong 'im not whining he isn't high tier but i do think most of his MU's are balanced and he has potential and lack of representation. I've asked some friends and they say his recovery is a big issue and that he is easily gimpable. I play against them and they always have a hard time gimping...but then again we are not very competitive players so maybe that's an issue haha.

But then i see Cloud being considered A Tier. I like Cloud a lot and all but if most competitive players consider recovery a lot i think Cloud is pretty much in the same boat as Roy

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Sup guys!

Don;t get me wrong 'im not whining he isn't high tier but i do think most of his MU's are balanced and he has potential and lack of representation. I've asked some friends and they say his recovery is a big issue and that he is easily gimpable. I play against them and they always have a hard time gimping...but then again we are not very competitive players so maybe that's an issue haha.

But then i see Cloud being considered A Tier. I like Cloud a lot and all but if most competitive players consider recovery a lot i think Cloud is pretty much in the same boat as Roy
To put it short, I don't agree with it at all, and I think people are being way too harsh on him. He's not low tier, and he's DEFINITELY not bottom tier like some people started to claim all of sudden. He's a solid mid tier with high tier potential in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
How come I've never been here? XD Anyway, I love sharing fan art with ya EnGarde EnGarde :p fan art at it's finest
Not quite sure why you haven't been around here before. :p But, since it is your first post here, you get the "Together we Ride" video same as everyone else posting here for the first time lol.

---

Sup guys!

I'm pretty sure Shaya Shaya is lurking this social now, and I know he can answer this question far better than I can. The biggest difference between Roy and Cloud is that Cloud has limit, auto-cancels out of aerials, and great frame data and great active frames for the amount of range he has. I mean, nair hitbox comes out on frame 5, and is active for 10 frames, and you can act after frame 39. Comparing this to Roy's uair, which has less range, the hitbox also comes out on frame 5, but is only active 7 frames, and you can act only after frame 42. Cloud can get KOs earlier and easier than Roy, and can wall out opposing characters better than Roy can. Cloud is just a better character than Roy is.

I think the thing that Roy suffers from is that he's DLC that isn't immediately and noticeably better than the myriad other swordsman in the game, so many people will stick to the other swordsman they played since before Roy came out, or they'll play Cloud, since he's really good. People overhyped him during release, and now we're in the phase after, where people are underestimating him. That's kinda why I suspect he doesn't have a lot of representation, tbh. However, I know that I'm sticking with Roy myself as well as quite a few others, so we'll see how it turns out for our Boy in the long run. :D

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
He needs results.
Top of low tier like he is (with a fair portion of the cast still below him) is roughly right.

His limits in design can really hamper him in play and there's really nothing wrong about Roy in terms of damage racking or when he hits people.
The issue is when the opponent can stop you from pressuring them or (relatively) safely throw out moves which gain more reward than Roy's spaced moves do.
Stuff like his recovery isn't abysmal but it can make you lose stocks in a way that isn't always avoidable.

I think the main thing which separates Cloud from the rest of the other sword fighters is having an invincible, lagless, 10 frame start up, insanely strong kill power move in limit side-b. It forces tons of respect, and can easily be thrown out for a stock as low as 80% in situations you know it's going to work, and if it doesn't, it doesn't matter to him at all, he still has the rest of his potent kit and the ability to achieve another opportunity for it's use.
There's a lot more inherent risk in Roy trying to win than Cloud trying to win.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
He needs results.
Top of low tier like he is (with a fair portion of the cast still below him) is roughly right.

His limits in design can really hamper him in play and there's really nothing wrong about Roy in terms of damage racking or when he hits people.
The issue is when the opponent can stop you from pressuring them or (relatively) safely throw out moves which gain more reward than Roy's spaced moves do.
Stuff like his recovery isn't abysmal but it can make you lose stocks in a way that isn't always avoidable.

I think the main thing which separates Cloud from the rest of the other sword fighters is having an invincible, lagless, 10 frame start up, insanely strong kill power move in limit side-b. It forces tons of respect, and can easily be thrown out for a stock as low as 80% in situations you know it's going to work, and if it doesn't, it doesn't matter to him at all, he still has the rest of his potent kit and the ability to achieve another opportunity for it's use.
Good point. Not to mention Cloud's much easier to use and is an overall more effective character than Roy.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Still not sure how to use SB and I'm pretty lazy to find out :p Thanks T Tahu Mata I'll be around (if I dont forget)

EnGarde EnGarde pls :p
Karma pls :D

Don't worry, I'll tag you here randomly when you least expect it to "help" you remember. :p

No problem! You're welcome here anytime. The main reason I made a Smashboards account was to support Roy, and well, here I am now.
:D

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Well, expanding on Roy, I believe he falls into the "easy to pick up, but hard to master" archetype. He can be really effective at low level play with his amazing smash attacks and Flare Blade, but you really need to know his kit well in order to get anywhere with him in high level. One mistake, and that could easily cost you your stock if you're against an opponent that knows what they're doing. Roy's a bit of a glass cannon in that sense, being able to kill really early, but is also relatively easy to kill himself.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I'll tag you randomly in Discord again :p
uh oh what have I gotten myself into? :p

EDIT:

Well, expanding on Roy, I believe he falls into the "easy to pick up, but hard to master" archetype. He can be really effective at low level play with his amazing smash attacks and Flare Blade, but you really need to know his kit well in order to get anywhere with him in high level. One mistake, and that could easily cost you your stock if you're against an opponent that knows what they're doing. Roy's a bit of a glass cannon in that sense, being able to kill really early, but is also relatively easy to kill himself.
idk if I'd call Roy a glass cannon, because if you can avoid the gimp/kill move, you can live to crazy high percents, which can be annoying for your opponent lol. There are times I've eaten combos early stock, but because my opponents couldn't land a kill move, I was able to clutch out the win once I was past combo percent. Easy to pick up, hard to master sounds very much right though.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
He needs results.

Whoa, this is good read. After this, I can definitely firmly say that Roy needs some speed buffs. And not just to the end lag but start up as well. I mean seriously, why give Marth all these Speed buffs AND range buffs and all Roy gets is a couple of endlag reduce (no that that's bad) It just he feels like he should be Shiek/C.Falcon but with a sword. Seriously, am i the only one who feels that.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Whoa, this is good read. After this, I can definitely firmly say that Roy needs some speed buffs. And not just to the end lag but start up as well. I mean seriously, why give Marth all these Speed buffs AND range buffs and all Roy gets is a couple of endlag reduce (no that that's bad) It just he feels like he should be Shiek/C.Falcon but with a sword. Seriously, am i the only one who feels that.

Agreed. A lot of people call him a worse Captain Falcon, and that's honestly what he is. He has the speed and power, but not the combo ability or neutral game. He needs less endlag on his moves and at least have one of his aerials autocancel, preferably his nair. It irks me how Marth has gotten so many improvements while Roy has received little to nothing aside from his landing lag buffs (which helped).

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Speaking of autocancel, Roy and I went to the Equipment shop and I raised his "speed" just enough to make his Short Hop Bair and Fair autocancel. It felt soooooo good.

Edit: oh look, post 2000

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Agreed. A lot of people call him a worse Captain Falcon, and that's honestly what he is. He has the speed and power, but not the combo ability or neutral game. He needs less endlag on his moves and at least have one of his aerials autocancel, preferably his nair. It irks me how Marth has gotten so many improvements while Roy has received little to nothing aside from his landing lag buffs (which helped).
100% totally agree. Though to be frank, if he is a worst C.Falcon but not by much, he really shouldn't be as low as he is.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Speaking of autocancel, Roy and I went to the Equipment shop and I raised his "speed" just enough to make his Short Hop Bair and Fair autocancel. It felt soooooo good.

Edit: oh look, post 2000
Happy 2,000. May you enjoy your next 2,000 messages as well lol.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Well, Marth's frame data was essentially universally worse than Roy's prior to that patch.
And his sword disjoint was universally worse in that patch too.
Marth having a bit more 'range' on those solid horizontal tools makes the match up between the two really awkward now.

Roy was a much more functional character than Marth prior to those buffs. Marth is probably better overall now though.
Roy missing out on down tilt getting the same range buff as Marth did is a bit suss though and I dislike that oversight (they matched before, albeit Roy's sweetspot was 'bigger'). And now Marth has 0.5 more disjoint than Roy, when before this it was the other way around. I guess the developers felt Marth needed more range to make him effective while Roy needed less landing lag... the fact is all these buffs/differences between them are exactly what each character would like, but they keep splitting them between the two as if it's a bad parent dealing with two children and their only solution is a 50/50 split, cue Mexican child saying "why not both?" :<
I guess Roy has his smash attacks, dash attack, up tilt, down air and JAB (significantly more so) as more disjoint now while Marth has all of those other moves with more range... I guess half/half is some sort of design decision and is better than Roy being universally bigger than Marth.

Back Air being 1 frame off auto cancelling on a short hop is also stupidly cruel and considering the rest of his moves have been delegated to not auto cancel (they have auto cancel frames after you can act PLUS 5 frames hard landing rather than the cast's average 4, he's designed to fall into the ground with his aerials) but having back air maintain the Marth AC without any similar applicable usage.
I guess his full hop ac back air is actually godlike but short hop ac would be extra god like #_#

Roy's nair has active hitboxes on his rising shff to cover the entirety of his air time. An auto cancel would be nice, but it's most efficient usage is clearly alreadyyyyyyyyyyyy there (if he could sh ff nair ac roy would be a ridiculous wall).

In terms of end lag....
There really isn't much that isn't already good. Up Tilt's lag is kinda silly. Down Smash not getting that end lag buff is silly. I guess it was at least an okay move before rather than Marth's literally being the single worst move in the game.
Smash attacks end lag buffs on both in general would be nice in normalizing them with the cast.
Dash Attack is abnormally bad on both characters but Roy's is solid as a follow up/kill move at least though.
Both Marth and Roy's forward tilts are amazing with very low end lag for their range and kill power.

Start ups though? An ever so slightly faster forward air would be a huge buff to him, like incredibly huge... it's already his single most usable move though. Otherwise everything he has is pretty good start up as it is...

An adjusted hitbox angle or two on Roy's tippers would be likely a lot better for him.
Like honestly what end lag would you reduce? Jab is still 22 frames, which is insane. His landing lag and aerial cool downs are universally better than Marth's by notable amounts.

But if Jab tipper had an angle that wasn't basically as good as resetting to neutral, Roy wouldn't find himself becoming too predictable in getting in as much (because he requires aerials to do things). Another 1.5 units on down tilt just to match Marths like before would increase the potency of his empty SHFF significantly too.

It may too late to hope that they will come together in terms of design and balance decisions where it counts most. But Roy has a lot of great things, so asides from matching disjoints with Marth (yeah I don't get why they cannot and flip flopped who deserved it more in what could be the last patch) I'd only really want bair with a SH AC and aerial blazer with 0.5-1% more damage and then we'd be set for eternity.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well, Marth's frame data was essentially universally worse than Roy's prior to that patch.
And his sword disjoint was universally worse in that patch too.
Marth having a bit more 'range' on those solid horizontal tools makes the match up between the two really awkward now.

Roy was a much more functional character than Marth prior to those buffs. Marth is probably better overall now though.
Roy missing out on down tilt getting the same range buff as Marth did is a bit suss though and I dislike that oversight (they matched before, albeit Roy's sweetspot was 'bigger'). And now Marth has 0.5 more disjoint than Roy, when before this it was the other way around. I guess the developers felt Marth needed more range to make him effective while Roy needed less landing lag... the fact is all these buffs/differences between them are exactly what each character would like, but they keep splitting them between the two as if it's a bad parent dealing with two children and their only solution is a 50/50 split, cue Mexican child saying "why not both?" :<
I guess Roy has his smash attacks, dash attack, up tilt, down air and JAB (significantly more so) as more disjoint now while Marth has all of those other moves with more range... I guess half/half is some sort of design decision and is better than Roy being universally bigger than Marth.

Back Air being 1 frame off auto cancelling on a short hop is also stupidly cruel and considering the rest of his moves have been delegated to not auto cancel (they have auto cancel frames after you can act PLUS 5 frames hard landing rather than the cast's average 4, he's designed to fall into the ground with his aerials) but having back air maintain the Marth AC without any similar applicable usage.
I guess his full hop ac back air is actually godlike but short hop ac would be extra god like #_#

Roy's nair has active hitboxes on his rising shff to cover the entirety of his air time. An auto cancel would be nice, but it's most efficient usage is clearly alreadyyyyyyyyyyyy there (if he could sh ff nair ac roy would be a ridiculous wall).

In terms of end lag....
There really isn't much that isn't already good. Up Tilt's lag is kinda silly. Down Smash not getting that end lag buff is silly. I guess it was at least an okay move before rather than Marth's literally being the single worst move in the game.
Smash attacks end lag buffs on both in general would be nice in normalizing them with the cast.
Dash Attack is abnormally bad on both characters but Roy's is solid as a follow up/kill move at least though.
Both Marth and Roy's forward tilts are amazing with very low end lag for their range and kill power.

Start ups though? An ever so slightly faster forward air would be a huge buff to him, like incredibly huge... it's already his single most usable move though. Otherwise everything he has is pretty good start up as it is...

An adjusted hitbox angle or two on Roy's tippers would be likely a lot better for him.
Like honestly what end lag would you reduce? Jab is still 22 frames, which is insane. His landing lag and aerial cool downs are universally better than Marth's by notable amounts.

But if Jab tipper had an angle that wasn't basically as good as resetting to neutral, Roy wouldn't find himself becoming too predictable in getting in as much (because he requires aerials to do things). Another 1.5 units on down tilt just to match Marths like before would increase the potency of his empty SHFF significantly too.

It may too late to hope that they will come together in terms of design and balance decisions where it counts most. But Roy has a lot of great things, so asides from matching disjoints with Marth (yeah I don't get why they cannot and flip flopped who deserved it more in what could be the last patch) I'd only really want bair with a SH AC and aerial blazer with 0.5-1% more damage and then we'd be set for eternity.
Yeah, I guess they just want to give the two as many differences as possible while keeping them similar. But it's just not working at times and it's annoying (like you said, why the hell does Marth get an endlag buff on his Dsmash and Utilt but not Roy who is obviously suppose to be the speedier one) It's just plain weird.

That does seem really silly that you make his moves so close to auto cancel but not quiet. It just..... why?

Eh, like you said, mostly his Utilt and Dsmash do need endlag, but I wouldn't mind fi some of his moves got and endlag buff (like Uair and Dair)

Start up wise, gods yes to Fair. But not so much just start up decrease. make it start earlier and add like 2 frames of duration as well. That would be amazing. Also i reduce start up on Dair would be AMAZING!!!

I'd be happy with at least if they'd increase the recovery distance of Blazer. Oh and gave the aerial version Super Armor. But that's probably all wishful thinking.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Yeah, I guess they just want to give the two as many differences as possible while keeping them similar. But it's just not working at times and it's annoying (like you said, why the hell does Marth get an endlag buff on his Dsmash and Utilt but not Roy who is obviously suppose to be the speedier one) It's just plain weird.

That does seem really silly that you make his moves so close to auto cancel but not quiet. It just..... why?

Eh, like you said, mostly his Utilt and Dsmash do need endlag, but I wouldn't mind fi some of his moves got and endlag buff (like Uair and Dair)

Start up wise, gods yes to Fair. But not so much just start up decrease. make it start earlier and add like 2 frames of duration as well. That would be amazing. Also i reduce start up on Dair would be AMAZING!!!

I'd be happy with at least if they'd increase the recovery distance of Blazer. Oh and gave the aerial version Super Armor. But that's probably all wishful thinking.

Agreed 100%. I don't get how Marth is the one getting all the speed buffs when he's meant to be a spacing based character. Roy focuses on fighting up close, but the endlag of his moves can hurt him. Despite this, he hasn't gotten any buffs in that regard.

None of his aerials autocanceling is pretty silly, too. Just, why? Even Ike who is meant to be the heavyweight has two of them. Fair and bair would be amazing with it.

I'd like to see slightly decreased start up on fair and dair. Fair comes out a little slow for my taste (frame 10), and dair's startup only harms the move further because the sweetspot is already pretty tricky to land.

And more distance on Blazer, just please, and let it have super armor on the air too.

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Oh my! It's ZeroKarma ZeroKarma ! Heyo o/ i mean... Karma pls.
Welp just bought alot of stuff, 3 amiibo's. PSMD, some stuff for my mobile phone
Still waiting for Roy amiibo release comfirmation in EU ;-; Still no release date for fates and PSMD actually came out today. it's been out for 2 months in the US right?

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Oh my, it's Serew Serew :p hm.. How to call you here? ;~;
Serew or Thomsa if you want to :p some people won't understand though :p or.. Screw... if you really want to... xD (Anything really tbh :p)

AND SEREW YOU EnGarde EnGarde ! ;(

I have also been called Sewer, Cheesew (Ser being cheese in polish.) Stew and muuuuch more related to other stuff that isn't "Serew" :p

i feel like i get called by nick-nicknames more than... actual nicknames LOL

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Serew or Thomsa if you want to :p some people won't understand though :p or.. Screw... if you really want to... xD (Anything really tbh :p)

AND SEREW YOU EnGarde EnGarde ! ;(

I have also been called Sewer, Cheesew (Ser being cheese in polish.) Stew and muuuuch more related to other stuff that isn't "Serew" :p

i feel like i get called by nick-nicknames more than... actual nicknames LOL
Props to you for having done commentary at one point. I could never do it myself lol

Top Bottom