• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You might've been kicked for inactivity in that case lol. People that never posted any comments were removed from the group to reduce skype lag for those that're active. If that happened, no worries, you're still welcome back. The last message you should see in the group will have a rejoin link, and if that doesn't work, pm me or send me a skype contact request (my skype name is engardevoir), and I'll readd you pronto.

The question of whether or not we should migrate to discord just came up yesterday, and we did a poll in the group to see if people would be interested in migrating. Right now, the group seems to be split 50-50 on whether we should migrate or not. Which means, to me at least, that the group definitely isn't ready to migrate, because 50-50 means we'd leaving roughly half our members behind. :( So, we're shelving the discussion on switching to discord for a little while longer while the app matures a bit more lol.

Thanks. I'll try to get back on Skype some time soon. What if those that want to migrate have no problem in being active in Discord and Skype?

I'd pick Sheik as secondary, in order to better understand how that character works. It's easier to know how to take a character apart if you've had a chance to play as that character, at least imo. Since Sheik is the best in the game, and you're pretty likely to run into a lot of them, she'd be a good alternate character to know well.

uair is actually a better combo-breaking aerial than nair, since uair's hitbox comes out 1 frame sooner (frame 5 vs 6), a small difference, but is useful to know.

As for how many people will know the Roy MU...I agree that high level Roys will probably be rare, but I think Roy is one of the more common characters at mid/low level, so I think a lot of people will have at least a basic idea of Roy's kit and gameplan. He's pretty popular, not unlike Falcon. To give you a rough idea of how popular he is, the Roy skype group has 94 people (that have actually posted in the group at least once in the last month as of about a week or two ago, the time of the last inacitves purge), down from the whopping 170+ people that were in the group at the height of the hype period during the first week (man, first week was awful. Thankfully the group has settled down now that the band-wagoners are all gone). To compare, Marth group has 82 people, Pika group 64, Pit group 58, and poor Mewtwo group only has 23 dedicated souls. (Marth is another suprise popular character, btw, definitely more popular than pikachu. But again, more common on the mid/low level, and pretty much non-existant at the top level).
I figured I'd stay off most Roy-related things the first week, I saw it coming. if there's any future DLC that truly captures my interest like Roy, I'll do the same. I don't know if I want to join the skype group, it's tempting but I feel like all I'd do is be inactive or lurk while I actively use the social and prefer its environment. Are they against that kind of thing now that the initial wave evened out?

I can't believe the skype group has that many. I never see Roy on FG or Smashladder, Colorado has no Roys besides loose tertiaries or friendlies picks, Roy sets take forever to pop up online, and we don't have any Roys truly making a name for themselves in the Smash 4 community like Ike or Marth. I figured everyone gave up on him. I'm glad to know that skype has a nice, vocal group. I'll experiment with uair more.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Thanks. I'll try to get back on Skype some time soon. What if those that want to migrate have no problem in being active in Discord and Skype?
I've been keeping an eye on other skype groups that've migrated from skype to discord. I know of one success story, the Shulk group, and two failure cases, Pikachu group and Hypest Skypest (the chat group for /r/smashbro's online tournament series). Shulk group made it because the majority of active, responsible members wanted to try it, while pikachu group did not make it because while some of the active members switched, most of the conversation stayed in the skype group, where everyone was.

The troubling case is the one of Hypest Skypest, where in the process of switching, they kinda...killed both ends of the group. No one talks in the discord OR the skype group anymore, which is really sad since Hypest Skypest used to be one of the best skype groups out of all of them. If we attempt to migrate the chat too soon, when people aren't ready to switch, we could end up being another one of the failure cases, which wouldn't be good, or we could end up killing the conversation on both ends, which would be, like, the worst case scenario lol.

I figured I'd stay off most Roy-related things the first week, I saw it coming. if there's any future DLC that truly captures my interest like Roy, I'll do the same. I don't know if I want to join the skype group, it's tempting but I feel like all I'd do is be inactive or lurk while I actively use the social and prefer its environment. Are they against that kind of thing now that the initial wave evened out?

I can't believe the skype group has that many. I never see Roy on FG or Smashladder, Colorado has no Roys besides loose tertiaries or friendlies picks, Roy sets take forever to pop up online, and we don't have any Roys truly making a name for themselves in the Smash 4 community like Ike or Marth. I figured everyone gave up on him. I'm glad to know that skype has a nice, vocal group. I'll experiment with uair more.
Oh man, I LOVE seeing other Roys on FG hehehehehe. Fast-faller regrab strings like this aren't hard to avoid once you know how to react, but if someone has never played the ditto before... Anywho, I see a decent amount of Roys. Not quite as many as Marcinas, but a decent number.

The next step for us is to start growing our playerbase, which is why things like this sub-forum, and the character skype groups, exist. Roy has been out significantly less time than the other characters, so we have a lot of ground to make up, but we're a scrappy bunch lol, so we'll see how things go from here.

As for the skype group, I'm the creator admin of the Roy group because I was in the place where all the DLC character groups were created (which was ironically the now-dead hypest skypest, rip), and I knew if I didn't do it, someone else would have at that time, and it wouldn't have been done right. So, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you're welcome to join and lurk to your heart's content. Just know that if you don't post even a single comment in a month, and if we're having trouble with chat lag, sometimes we chat purge. But if that happens, you're still quite welcome to rejoin, and a rejoin link is posted to make sure you can get back in. You can also message me and I'll readd you. Chat purges are only to remove people that aren't even interested enough to click the rejoin link after being kicked, and even then only because chat lag is a thing sometimes. While not everyone in the group is a dedicated Roy main, it's the largest concentration that I know of so far. In any case, it's just another way to connect to the community. :)

If you're interested, just send me a contact request, and I'll add you. My skype name is engardevoir, please put something like "Roy Skype Group" in the contact request. That applies to everyone here, btw.

I've been keeping an eye on other skype groups that've migrated from skype to discord. I know of one success story, the Shulk group, and two failure cases, Pikachu group and Hypest Skypest (the chat group for /r/smashbro's online tournament series). Shulk group made it because the majority of active, responsible members wanted to try it, while pikachu group did not make it because while some of the active members switched, most of the conversation stayed in the skype group, where everyone was.

The troubling case is the one of Hypest Skypest, where in the process of switching, they kinda...killed both ends of the group. No one talks in the discord OR the skype group anymore, which is really sad since Hypest Skypest used to be one of the best skype groups out of all of them. If we attempt to migrate the chat too soon, when people aren't ready to switch, we could end up being another one of the failure cases, which wouldn't be good, or we could end up killing the conversation on both ends, which would be, like, the worst case scenario lol.

Oh man, I LOVE seeing other Roys on FG hehehehehe. Fast-faller regrab strings like this aren't hard to avoid once you know how to react, but if someone has never played the ditto before... Anywho, I see a decent amount of Roys. Not quite as many as Marcinas, but a decent number.

The next step for us is to start growing our playerbase, which is why things like this sub-forum, and the character skype groups, exist. Roy has been out significantly less time than the other characters, so we have a lot of ground to make up, but we're a scrappy bunch lol, so we'll see how things go from here.

As for the skype group, I'm the creator admin of the Roy group because I was in the place where all the DLC character groups were created (which was ironically the now-dead hypest skypest, rip), and I knew if I didn't do it, someone else would have at that time, and it wouldn't have been done right. So, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you're welcome to join and lurk to your heart's content. Just know that if you don't post even a single comment in a month, and if we're having trouble with chat lag, sometimes we chat purge. But if that happens, you're still quite welcome to rejoin, and a rejoin link is posted to make sure you can get back in. You can also message me and I'll readd you. Chat purges are only to remove people that aren't even interested enough to click the rejoin link after being kicked, and even then only because chat lag is a thing sometimes. While not everyone in the group is a dedicated Roy main, it's the largest concentration that I know of so far. In any case, it's just another way to connect to the community. :)

If you're interested, just send me a contact request, and I'll add you. My skype name is engardevoir, please put something like "Roy Skype Group" in the contact request. That applies to everyone here, btw.
I hate getting hit by Roy's utilt because it works when it shouldn't. It doesn't work for me when it should. It has too much endlag for me to really like it outside of an anti-air, ledge option destroyer, or kill move. I also opt for jab, DED, ftilt, or nair for combos instead of utilt because I'm stubborn. I really need to branch out, and I know the move is better than I generally give it credit for. I see other Roys go for it too much, or try to Mario with it when it won't/shouldn't work, when they haven't conditioned for it, and I start to hate the move.

Sent a skype request. Now I have yet another place to advertise my upcoming project.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I hate getting hit by Roy's utilt because it works when it shouldn't. It doesn't work for me when it should. It has too much endlag for me to really like it outside of an anti-air, ledge option destroyer, or kill move. I also opt for jab, DED, ftilt, or nair for combos instead of utilt because I'm stubborn. I really need to branch out, and I know the move is better than I generally give it credit for. I see other Roys go for it too much, or try to Mario with it when it won't/shouldn't work, when they haven't conditioned for it, and I start to hate the move.

Sent a skype request. Now I have yet another place to advertise my upcoming project.
Utilt has some punishable end lag anyways. I use it when I know it's going to hit, like a punish out of shield, like ZSS's Utilt. I don't think it's meant to be spammed.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
PLEASE make a discord group, I wanted to be in the roy skype group so bad, but it would never stop lagging! Tink has an active skype and discord group, so in my opinion, it's worth a shot. If you do this though, you should start it off with just a few people who you know will be active, then start adding more later on. Remember to disable /tts (text to speech) though, I got too tempted to abuse it when the tink group first tried out discord... ya know... /tts *********************************** (not swearing, just saying asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, etc.)

Mega-Xander

Smash Rookie
NNID
avsimone13
Roy's my boy! I'm a bit of a scrub but I love playing Roy. I think I'm gonna stick with him. Any basic things to note that make his strategies different than the other sword characters? (From my kind of experience he's like halfway between Marth and Mario...)

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Roy's my boy! I'm a bit of a scrub but I love playing Roy. I think I'm gonna stick with him. Any basic things to note that make his strategies different than the other sword characters? (From my kind of experience he's like halfway between Marth and Mario...)
Well, he can kill people at 80%, sometimes even lower. His up b has superarmor on the startup. His d-air actually spikes good. B has almost no lag. His downthrow leads into nice follow-ups. His N-air is pretty good too. And muuuch more.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
PLEASE make a discord group, I wanted to be in the roy skype group so bad, but it would never stop lagging! Tink has an active skype and discord group, so in my opinion, it's worth a shot. If you do this though, you should start it off with just a few people who you know will be active, then start adding more later on. Remember to disable /tts (text to speech) though, I got too tempted to abuse it when the tink group first tried out discord... ya know... /tts *********************************** (not swearing, just saying asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, etc.)
Thanks for the warning on /tts, that'll definitely be blocked. When a discord is made, I'll definitely make sure to let you know. Not going to happen yet, though.

And I am sitting here, just visiting the socialboard.
whoops, didn't mean to disrupt the conversation. ^_^;;; Here, have some music. ~

The others here will be able to answer you better than I can, but I would say first of all, remember that you're a sword character, so like all sword characters, being able to space effectively is key. That means knowing what part of the sword you're aiming to hit with, and using each part of his sword effectively (remember Roy has a sweetspot at the base of the sword, and sourspots in the middle and tip). Poke and harrass your opponent using the sourspot hits, which are safer, and then when you have an opening, go in and get those sweetspot punishes.

Good luck! ^_^

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Definitely stay in your opponent's face if you can, midrange at the furthest. If you've ever played Marth in this game, then you'll realize that some things will carry over to Roy, like Dtilt being used for pokes and coverage and B reversing to juke or pressure your opponent. With Roy, I feel it's really important to be able to read your opponent because you get so much from it through your Smashes, even Ftilt and Utilt. It's also important to space yourself out, as odd as that sounds when considering his sweetspot, but doing so prevents you from getting grabbed all the time, which is a pretty big weakness to be wary of when playing Roy.

Some things I can suggest would be Dthrow into jab into DED(Not a true combo, but works well on fast fallers, middleweights, and heavyweights, especially if they don't really try jumping out of it), Dthrow into jab into grab(Basically a whack version of a chaingrab, but not a bad option if your opponent doesn't expect it), Dthrow into up B(Do not try on floaties and lightweights, and this move is DI dependent), Fthrow into Nair(A true combo until a good amount of percentage and it does a lot of stage carry), Fthrow into dash attack is good if your opponent doesn't tech, Dthrow into (pivot)Fsmash or Usmash is VERY rewarding if you can get the air dodges, SHFF Nair is a great approach option, especially when properly spaced, and the IASA Fair into Nair/Fair/(B reversed)neutral B is also a great approach option. For edgeguards, I've found neutral B to be useful because of its big hitbox, which allows it be used in a manner similar to Ike's. It has almost no cool down and all you need to do is time it right with your opponent's recovery, so don't be afraid to edgeguard with this.

You probably realized that Roy's recovery isn't that great, and people will try to take advantage of that. When off stage, you should try to avoid using your second jump as long as possible and if your opponent does go off stage to gimp your or something, don't be afraid to up B early. Doing this catches A LOT of people off guard because recovering low is VERY common in this game.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
And I will 100% main roy. I played through the whole roster, played each character for a while, and Roy just gives me that what Lucina and Shulk lacked. But I know I am not good enough for Roy yet, hence I'd need a character that could cover his weaknesses, a character that supports him well.
I used to 100% main Roy in every game. Melee Roy was torture for me to handle since well Melee even though im pretty good with him. PM is 50% Roy 25% Ganon and 25% Falcon. Smash 4 i mainly play random unless i get rosalina then i suicide since i hate rosalina. Roy in smash 4 is good just not good enough. They took so much away from him to give him so little. Like cool hes not forgotten and cool hes "better" well IMO he doesnt feel very solid. His laggy moves were not really laggy on Melee Roy and i choose to compare to Melee since its official not like PM. Melee Roy may be slow (not really) but his Dtilt and Uair and Raw 20% non sweetspot Fsmash and way better Flare blade and Double edge dance. How do you all enjoy the smash4 version more? Not hating on Roy since he is mah boi but all melee did wrong was really heavy Roy and not enough hitstun on his moves. The enemy actually gets out of hitstun before you finish the animation for attacking. The list goes on for whats better and whats worse but really i am curious what makes New Roy better in your eyes. There are no wrong opinions and i wont really judge. Honestly i feel dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 is one of the few Melee Roys besides me. Croph Croph cant exactly remember but i believe you said you played melee Roy. Anyone else who has feel free to state the differences of why or why not who is better. Dont want to cause a debate just want a general picture since i know a lot i mean A LOT of people never played Melee or PM before Smash 4.
Edit- Why does everyone who gives help for Roy always say the sweetspot stuff? you should already know that as a roy player. its almost literally the only things i see when people give help. There is so many other things to list too.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I used to 100% main Roy in every game. Melee Roy was torture for me to handle since well Melee even though im pretty good with him. PM is 50% Roy 25% Ganon and 25% Falcon. Smash 4 i mainly play random unless i get rosalina then i suicide since i hate rosalina. Roy in smash 4 is good just not good enough. They took so much away from him to give him so little. Like cool hes not forgotten and cool hes "better" well IMO he doesnt feel very solid. His laggy moves were not really laggy on Melee Roy and i choose to compare to Melee since its official not like PM. Melee Roy may be slow (not really) but his Dtilt and Uair and Raw 20% non sweetspot Fsmash and way better Flare blade and Double edge dance. How do you all enjoy the smash4 version more? Not hating on Roy since he is mah boi but all melee did wrong was really heavy Roy and not enough hitstun on his moves. The enemy actually gets out of hitstun before you finish the animation for attacking. The list goes on for whats better and whats worse but really i am curious what makes New Roy better in your eyes. There are no wrong opinions and i wont really judge. Honestly i feel dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 is one of the few Melee Roys besides me. Croph Croph cant exactly remember but i believe you said you played melee Roy. Anyone else who has feel free to state the differences of why or why not who is better. Dont want to cause a debate just want a general picture since i know a lot i mean A LOT of people never played Melee or PM before Smash 4.
Edit- Why does everyone who gives help for Roy always say the sweetspot stuff? you should already know that as a roy player. its almost literally the only things i see when people give help. There is so many other things to list too.
What makes the new roy better than melee roy? Nothing.
But you can say the same about almost any character in smash 4 comparing them with their melee counterparts.

But why I chose to play roy in smash 4? Because he's fun, and he -can- deal with rosalina. He even got rated in the rosalina boards as an difficult matchup.
But that's beside the point. Why I think roy is good/worthy of being played? Look up, last few messages had this topic. Roy is currently the best swordsman in Smash4, he can be a threat to quite some character, and if you are pretty good at reading your opponent, he rewards you more than other character, since his KO potential is insane, the pressure and speed he can deliver is admirable, and he got a sword, giving him range advantage in most cases. If his Neutral b had better hitboxes, it would be even better, since it has barely any lag, and could be used as an awesome mix up tool...

But yeah, I could say more, but I guess, the others might have something to say aswell. Anyways, Roy fits my agressive playstyle, and my ability to space. That's for me.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
What makes the new roy better than melee roy? Nothing.
But you can say the same about almost any character in smash 4 comparing them with their melee counterparts.

But why I chose to play roy in smash 4? Because he's fun, and he -can- deal with rosalina. He even got rated in the rosalina boards as an difficult matchup.
But that's beside the point. Why I think roy is good/worthy of being played? Look up, last few messages had this topic. Roy is currently the best swordsman in Smash4, he can be a threat to quite some character, and if you are pretty good at reading your opponent, he rewards you more than other character, since his KO potential is insane, the pressure and speed he can deliver is admirable, and he got a sword, giving him range advantage in most cases. If his Neutral b had better hitboxes, it would be even better, since it has barely any lag, and could be used as an awesome mix up tool...

But yeah, I could say more, but I guess, the others might have something to say aswell. Anyways, Roy fits my agressive playstyle, and my ability to space. That's for me.
i dont feel his pressure is good in this game. Melee and PM Roy has a lot more agressiveness. and true he is the best swordsman in front of link and shulk imo. still not as good as his old self

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
i dont feel his pressure is good in this game. Melee and PM Roy has a lot more agressiveness. and true he is the best swordsman in front of link and shulk imo. still not as good as his old self
Well, as I said... comparing characters to their Melee counterparts is useless. melee was a game, where the majority of the cast is better than in any other game.
Comparing it with the current cast, which makes also kinda sense, since it's what you play against... I'd say yes.

Melee:
-Flare Blade actually has a hitbox and can actually hit things, it functions as a semi-smash attack in the air, and it can be used in almost any edgeguard situation.
-Dtilt combos into so many sexy things including regrab.
-Jab boxes people out really well, it's something Marth's jab doesn't do.
-Dair covers a really nice arc from a short hop or from above, I like dtilt -> meteor dair to send them back onstage too and it looks really cool.
-Ftilt and fsmash have massive range and are just amazing in general, I like that they're really good in Smash 4 but they're straight downgrades there.
-Uair is much better at juggling and covering platforms above Roy, it's still beast in 4 but not quite what it was.
-First hit of nair into anything is much more reliable and sexier here.
-Outright better fair/bair.
-DED actually kills off the third hit, has its powerful meteor, has lingering hitboxes on downward hits more than Marth, and looks much cooler.
-Blazer can OHKO on certain stages plus characters, and you can true combo into the OHKO even if the hitbox is more difficult than Rest.
-Counter has its own pose, it was the only damage-scaling counter making it stand out, it was at 1.5x while it was nerfed to 1.35x in 4, and it was a much better read tool.
-Sexy tech chases off forward and down throws, down throw to fsmash as a DI mixup at a wide range of percents, fthrow screws over Marth and floaties, uthrow is a combo/chain throw and could kill around 200, and back throw is terrifying because you're forced to land right next to Roy at pretty much any percent. Throws felt much more rounded.
-Dash dancing/pivots/a great wavedash gave Roy phenomenal ground tools.

Smash 4:
-Flare Blade has pretty much no lag, so I can safely throw it out whenever I want. Shield breaks actually happen, and they happen pretty easily, so it's a free stock no matter what %.
-Dtilt only pokes them away, at least it's safe on shield and is good for conditioning.
-Dair can finally be used as a meteor that's both reliable and doesn't send the opponent down a pitiful amount while being easy to meteor cancel like in Melee.
-Nair in general is a much better combo/spacing tool.
-Blazer is a kill move and really nice OoS option, it also combos from stuff and has kill confirms. The angling is much better here, and ledge/gravity mechanics for 4 are much friendlier for Roy.
-Fthrow and dthrow are really nice combo moves, back for positioning, up for kills at high percents (not as painfully high as Melee) or to watch how an opponent lands to gather data on them and potentially set up a kill off a landing trap.
-Much more satisfying ground and air speed, he moves around like he should and movement feels really smooth and seamless.
-Can actually do things offstage, much better recovery.
-Combos on him are more forgiving, he retains good combo ability in a game with much fewer combos, and he has an excellent toolkit to squeeze out tough strings.
-Much better palettes that represent my favorite characters, much better representation as a character, final smash, more taunts, improved Melee taunt, he looks a lot cooler in general.

If I were to fix Melee Roy, I'd give him better ground and air speed so he moves like in 4, more hitstun, more knockback on GTFO moves like jab or sourspot dair, more options versus and out of shield, match his grab range with Marth, give slightly more ability to tech chase with f and d throws, and make it harder to CC DED. That's all he needs. He'd be combo'd and gimped to hell just like before, but he'd combo and pressure people to the depths of hell. A spacie swordsman. Potential to be a top contender easily. If you learn tech chasing with Roy now, it's really scary. If you learned it with this redesigned Roy, he'd be as terrifying as Sheik or Falcon.

If I were to fix Smash 4 Roy, I'd give Flare Blade its old hitboxes back, turn dtilt into a combo tool again, give him DED (especially that third downwards hit that lingers with flame and his upward meteor on third hit), lower utilt lag, give uthrow more knockback growth, give dthrow/fthrow slightly more hitstun since it's jarring when someone can airdodge out of frame perfect nair/fair/uair, and I'd make dsmash's knockback purely vertical. A lot of changes would be purely aesthetic to declone him more. He'd stay a relevant threat and popular tournament character for all of Smash 4's lifespan with a lot of solo main potential.

He has more extreme strengths and weaknesses in Melee, plus there's always been a stigma for him there since release, while Smash 4's Roy lost strengths but also lost weaknesses, making him more well-rounded. Roy players will constantly get flak in Melee that they won't in 4. I can see why people lean more towards 4, it's less annoying for Roy mains to show that they play Roy at all. His design feels more well-equipped to handle Smash 4's cast and top tiers than in Melee. I feel he has a lot of potential in both Melee and Smash 4. I'm a huge fan of Roy's extreme strengths in Melee, and he can take a good netural or a few strong reads and do things nobody else can in those shining moments. He has less of that feeling in 4.

Both designs set me off a little as a fan of the character, but he still feels really fulfilling to play in both despite it all. I have more fun playing as him in Melee, especially with 20XX pack's stages and features. I feel it's more worthwhile to prove Melee Roy's potential now than Smash 4's. I think he's a solid upper-mid character at Yoshi/Pika/Samus/IC's power that could be a top-tier threat with dual-maining to handle Sheik/IC's and Marth for now since I feel like proper approach on Marth needs to be tested and can be done to screw up Marth consistently once Roy's in his face, and powershield+shielddrop to even out the Falco MU. Don't be dumb versus Marth's shield, even your dtilt on his shield is a free punish for him. Roy mains need to experiment with Dreamland/Pokestadium more, people have been brainwashed into thinking FoD and FD are his only decent stages. Play on BF/Yoshi's less, they hurt Roy's viability. FD's overrated for Roy but still okay. Learn tech chasing with Roy's fthrow and dthrow. Much more will open up. Try Blazer OoS vs. shine too, it's even better than Samus's. Ftilt and grab more, fsmash and DED less. Dsmash to control space and beat CC'ing, it's laggy as hell if whiffed so use it when you're ready to eat a punish. Raw dsmash is 21% first slash /23% second slash and comes out in 6 frames, it kills Sheik/Peach/Puff/Samus/Marth and more effectively at higher percents. The sweetspot is huge, and the move covers many options. CO's best player uses Marth's dsmash a lot, it's way better than it should be. Roy's is even better. Marths have been experimenting with dsmash in their tech chases, we need to as well. Look up SSBMTutorial's dsmash vs. Sheik tutorial, then apply that to Roy. That's all, off the top of my head before I have to go.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
If I were to fix Melee Roy, I'd give him better ground and air speed so he moves like in 4, more hitstun, more knockback on GTFO moves like jab or sourspot dair, more options versus and out of shield, match his grab range with Marth, give slightly more ability to tech chase with f and d throws, and make it harder to CC DED. That's all he needs. He'd be combo'd and gimped to hell just like before, but he'd combo and pressure people to the depths of hell. A spacie swordsman. Potential to be a top contender easily. If you learn tech chasing with Roy now, it's really scary. If you learned it with this redesigned Roy, he'd be as terrifying as Sheik or Falcon.
Yeah all he needs is better air speed, more hitstun and GTFO Knockback, other than that i honestly love Roy in Melee. I never wanted this to turn into a Smash 4 is **** kinda thing so if thats how i came off sorry. And if you can perfect Uthrow CG spacies as Roy in Melee you already felt like God
His design feels more well-equipped to handle Smash 4's cast and top tiers than in Melee.
Roy really was only good against Spacies but even then he got rekt if he messes up. I also dont know/want to know top tiers in smash 4 since i dont take a game where marths fair is outreached by sheiks fair (no im not lying i saw a gif proving Marths tipper Fair is literally just out spaced by Sheiks Fair) seriously. I play for fun and thats really it in smash 4. Sheik is just way too good for the rest of the game they need to buff everyone else or nerf sheik preferably buff everyone else kind of how like PM everyone is really good so no one is really left behind.
Edit- No news on DLC characters yet?

Last edited:
Yeah all he needs is better air speed, more hitstun and GTFO Knockback, other than that i honestly love Roy in Melee. I never wanted this to turn into a Smash 4 is **** kinda thing so if thats how i came off sorry. And if you can perfect Uthrow CG spacies as Roy in Melee you already felt like God

Roy really was only good against Spacies but even then he got rekt if he messes up. I also dont know/want to know top tiers in smash 4 since i dont take a game where marths fair is outreached by sheiks fair (no im not lying i saw a gif proving Marths tipper Fair is literally just out spaced by Sheiks Fair) seriously. I play for fun and thats really it in smash 4. Sheik is just way too good for the rest of the game they need to buff everyone else or nerf sheik preferably buff everyone else kind of how like PM everyone is really good so no one is really left behind.
Edit- No news on DLC characters yet?
You didn't come off that way, I understand. It was about 4's Roy specifically and not much of anything on Smash 4 as a game. I know what gif you're talking about, I saw it yesterday on Facebook.

My opinions on top tier MU's for Roy:

Fox: 50/50. Could be 60/40 on Dreamland and FoD.
Falco: 35/65. 40/60 or 45/55 with proper tools.
Sheik: 30/70 from an optimistic standpoint. Unwinnable.
Marth: 30/70, I have faith Roy has something hidden for this one, it's the MU only I have that instinct for. Unwinnable until further testing.
Falcon: 50/50, Falcon has more good stages versus Roy but you can pin him down with counterpicking. Stay away from knee gimps and cheese.
Icies: Idk but stay away from this in bracket for now. Experiment though, it probably isn't as bad as I think.
Peach: 40/60. Don't get dsmashed. Probably 50/50 on FD. It's the easiest MU to misplay as Roy.
Puff: 50/50. FD, Stadium, and Yoshi's are great for you here. Don't fall for crouch rest or other puff gimmicks. You're better at controlling space than Puff, it comes down to not messing up at that. Your sourspot is more forgiving on her than others. You have better Rest punishes than anyone through both Blazer and Flare Blade. Roy can surprisingly combo the hell out of Puff, do that. Dtilt/ftilt/fair/grab/Flare control space really well vs. Puff. Mix up recoveries harder than you would against anyone else. I like this MU because it's playing flyswatter, counting jumps, and giving beefy punishes to each other.

Roy's really good in general vs. low and mid-tiers, that's where his 60/40's or better really kick in. Being good against only spacies is a misconception, Falco is painful for Roy and he's not half bad versus Falcon/Peach/Puff. You want a secondary for others, and there's lots of candidates. Roy's also a great niche secondary for a good amount of stuff. I don't believe SSBwiki's chart or most random player opinions on Roy for his MU's, I have a lot of background experience as a top-tier main/secondary user and it's helped me truly feel out MU's a lot and theorize/test ones for Roy.

I'd say main a top tier and experiment/secondary Roy, or main Roy and dual-main to cover him and prevent unwinnables during counterpicking.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Peach: 40/60. Don't get dsmashed. Probably 50/50 on FD. It's the easiest MU to misplay as Roy.
MFW i didnt know that you shouldnt always CC and i go from 0 to 100 in one Dsmash...
I'd say main a top tier and experiment/secondary Roy, or main Roy and dual-main to cover him and prevent unwinnables during counterpicking.
In melee i main Falcon/Ganon and Roy as my for fun character. Mostly ganon nowadays. In samsh4 i want to play Roy more its just i find myself doing PM/Melee Roy things and expecting them to work. I also dont really know his combos like i know Old Roys. I know the basics like Dthrow Blazer and stuff like that

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
For me, Smash 4 Roy actually feels kinda Melee-esque due to his ground speed, fastfall speed, and having not the best recovery helps lol. His mobility make me enjoy the character even more (and when I say "mobility" I mean the whole shebang: ground speed, air speed, fastfall speed, fox-trot, etc., etc.). Which is why I'm looking for fastfallers that feel similar to Roy for a secondary. Even though I still play Lucas on the side, he's too floaty for my taste... or I'm just so used to Roy's mobility bleh. Also, RIP zap jumping

Even though I like Melee Roy, I don't think I could enjoy the game 100%. It's just the nature of the game I'm not that fond of. But like, it's fine if you're not a fan of a character in one installment versus another. It's natural if some characters go through major changes, and the game engine itself has an effect on characters too. Am I crazy for having a soft spot for Melee Bowser, even though I think that Smash 4 Bowser is his best iteration? Must be that Koopa Klaw. :p

Fastfalling is also key. A lot of the best characters have most or almost all of their killpower off the top (Sheik, Fox, Pikachu, Mario, Rosalina, ZSS, Sonic) and being a fastfaller makes it so that Roy doesn't die vertically as easy, and his fast aerial mobility (3rd fastest in the game) coupled with the mixups the incredibly drastic Blazer has in this game circumvents that. While fastfalling makes combo'ing him easier, he has nair and jab to poke him out of pressure situations, and it's not as bad as Fox or Falcon's cases. He's more like Sheik in that sense.

If an opponent tries a wonky jab setup (first or second hit of jab into something else, or Fox trying to utilt repeatedly), you can hold down to lower knockback->toss out jab and then get a free grab (low percents), fair/nair (low and mid percents, even high), or sometimes Blazer (high % kill confirm off jab).
That's something I was always curious on... So you could escape some setups (holding down), like Fox's Utilt strings, and Mario's as well, but only at 0%? But once you receive more damage you would have to DI up and away accordingly? Is it because Roy's a fastfaller he could escape such scenarios? Would you hold down for rapid jabs too? Why am I asking so many questions!?!

At times I kinda wished certain character guides went over attributes (falling speed, weight, height, etc.) and mobility specs/options the character has (basically what we just talked about). Especially explaining the pros and cons to each and how it affects gameplay, not just going over moves/tech and general gameplay. Even if they start from the basics and review what being a fastfaller means, it's always nice to have the refresher.

Growing the Roy playerbase?

I'll spread some propaganda around my school! :awesome:

I think I've sent you a Skype request in the past for the Roy group, but I totally forgot about it until now... ah ha. I'll send a message, asking to be added to the group.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
This is a very random question, and I'm sorry if it's interfering with any discussion, but I feel the need to ask anyways. I hope you guys here can help me on this, I really only feel slightly comfortable asking here.

I think I've hit a plateau concerning my understanding of the game. I get the basics of gameplay and the basics of the physics, but everything else is just so over my head and I can't seem to grasp it. As I hear more and more about the game, it makes me feel like I have more and more to learn when I just can't get it. Is there anything you people can think of to help me with this? Or am I just out of luck on this one? I really want this to not be a "you just need to wait for it to click" thing, because it's been a year of playing semi-competitively and my understanding of the game from the first day I picked up Smash3DS has not evolved in some drastic way. I'm honestly just stumped, and it makes me very... angry that I can't understand this at all. If anyone even answers this, thanks for the advice.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
This is a very random question, and I'm sorry if it's interfering with any discussion, but I feel the need to ask anyways. I hope you guys here can help me on this, I really only feel slightly comfortable asking here.

I think I've hit a plateau concerning my understanding of the game. I get the basics of gameplay and the basics of the physics, but everything else is just so over my head and I can't seem to grasp it. As I hear more and more about the game, it makes me feel like I have more and more to learn when I just can't get it. Is there anything you people can think of to help me with this? Or am I just out of luck on this one? I really want this to not be a "you just need to wait for it to click" thing, because it's been a year of playing semi-competitively and my understanding of the game from the first day I picked up Smash3DS has not evolved in some drastic way. I'm honestly just stumped, and it makes me very... angry that I can't understand this at all. If anyone even answers this, thanks for the advice.
What do you think you can improve in? Movement? Reads? Covering ledge options?

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz

Well it seems that we've been playing competitively for roughly the same amount of time, it could be pretty likely that we're around the same skill level. I have a week off school so if you wanna play some friendlies sometime then I should be free all week, that way we could try to help each other improve by observing bad habits and such. If you wanna do that then you can just pm me.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
What do you think you can improve in? Movement? Reads? Covering ledge options?
I can honestly improve on everything. I like to think I'm okay at covering ledge options, neutral, and the advantage state. I started playing Jiggs to get out of the mindset of not knowing how to be defensive and getting reads with Rest, but I just ended up playing an overly-aggressive Puff haha. A lot of the mind games seem to be above me, too. But if it helps, I'm A LOT better at analyzing my play and knowing what I should be doing rather than what I am doing.

EDIT: TIL I suck at grammar

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I can honestly improve on everything. I like to think I'm okay at covering ledge options, neutral, and the advantage state. I started playing Jiggs to get out of the mindset of not knowing how to be defensive and getting reads with Rest, but I just ended up playing an overly-aggressive Puff haha. A lot of the mind games seem to be above me, too. But if it helps, I'm A LOT better at analyzing my play and knowing what I should be doing rather than what I am doing.

If you're good at analyzing your play, you'll just need to get some practice and put your improvements in play. You should also play against good Roys if you can. Check out the Roy skype group and get some games against the good Roys. I'd play but I'm from South America so it'll have some lag.

For me, Smash 4 Roy actually feels kinda Melee-esque due to his ground speed, fastfall speed, and having not the best recovery helps lol. His mobility make me enjoy the character even more (and when I say "mobility" I mean the whole shebang: ground speed, air speed, fastfall speed, fox-trot, etc., etc.). Which is why I'm looking for fastfallers that feel similar to Roy for a secondary. Even though I still play Lucas on the side, he's too floaty for my taste... or I'm just so used to Roy's mobility bleh. Also, RIP zap jumping

Even though I like Melee Roy, I don't think I could enjoy the game 100%. It's just the nature of the game I'm not that fond of. But like, it's fine if you're not a fan of a character in one installment versus another. It's natural if some characters go through major changes, and the game engine itself has an effect on characters too. Am I crazy for having a soft spot for Melee Bowser, even though I think that Smash 4 Bowser is his best iteration? Must be that Koopa Klaw. :p

That's something I was always curious on... So you could escape some setups (holding down), like Fox's Utilt strings, and Mario's as well, but only at 0%? But once you receive more damage you would have to DI up and away accordingly? Is it because Roy's a fastfaller he could escape such scenarios? Would you hold down for rapid jabs too? Why am I asking so many questions!?!

At times I kinda wished certain character guides went over attributes (falling speed, weight, height, etc.) and mobility specs/options the character has (basically what we just talked about). Especially explaining the pros and cons to each and how it affects gameplay, not just going over moves/tech and general gameplay. Even if they start from the basics and review what being a fastfaller means, it's always nice to have the refresher.

Growing the Roy playerbase?

I'll spread some propaganda around my school! :awesome:

I think I've sent you a Skype request in the past for the Roy group, but I totally forgot about it until now... ah ha. I'll send a message, asking to be added to the group.
Yeah, when holding down while on the ground, it reduces knockback and damage. It's like a much, much weaker version of crouch canceling from Melee/PM, it's good to shield rapid jabs or get a jab setup of your own from jab setups or rapid jabs. It's a weird in-engine deal that was in Brawl too, where it knew to reduce % and knockback taken while on the ground. If you're at a percent where that stops working, you want to DI out of it.

Guides do need to emphasize overlooked strengths/weaknesses, or one that are very inherent to characters. It's always, always good to pay attention to small details, even if they're things we say we know and skip over/shortcut.

Start small and review replays. Ask for critique in your play when you play others, or upload some replays and ask for critique. Whenever you get hit in neutral, 9 times out of 10 you made a mistake or fell for something from your opponent. Find out mistakes and fix each one by one, keep revisiting basics and practicing ways to cover blind spots. Don't cut corners or skip things you feel like you know, pay attention to everything and practice the basics just as much as the more advanced techniques. Don't play on autopilot, actively think about every decision. Vary your practice, don't just play the same few people and For Glory every now and then. If you play For Glory, stick to Best of 3. Play until either of you wins two times, then find someone else.

Always take baby steps to improve and always remember and revisit basics and little things.

Ledge options, neutral, and having an advantage positonally are things even ZeRo can improve on, don't neglect them simply because you've got the basics. You still want to refine and polish those as you work on other weaknesses.

Mmm... In which Tier is Melee!Roy right now? Is B?
The current tier list is outdated and just bad, I'm thinking he'll be low (around where he is) with whatever ranking system they use for 2015 or 2016. We're long overdue for an NTSC list. I'll get him into upper mid-tier on the list after that one.

This thread.. Is on fire.
You coulda done better, you might just be burned out on wordplay. Hopefully something rekindles that.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Mmm... In which Tier is Melee!Roy right now? Is B?
Melee Roy is Not even close to B tier he is i believe bottom tier at #21 F tier. Melee Roy is a horrible character competitively and if he was better in a handful of ways he would easily be higher to mid tier minimum. And curiosity is asking here. I notice a lot of you ask for advice on what to do and how to play which isnt bad its just there is so much to teach. Have any of you even ready Sethlons Roy guide? Sure its for PM but it has amazing knowledge for how to play as a player and not a character. He covers good fundamentals and Roy is a fundamentals based character. I dont really see why you ask for help. I personally never learned from asking i learned on my own and by watching and analysis. But hey not everyone is like me. I think i need a lot of work when ive been told im one of the best PM/Melee Roys people have seen. I dont care much for MUs i play by instinct and what i think works. Sure i have base knowledge of fights like how certain MUs are hard for Roy and thats when i switch to Ganon or Falcon. If any of you need any help im always available to give my two cents about it. It may not be pro advice but as a fellow Roy main im sure i can at least bring you closer to unlocking his full potential or any other character you need help with since i can play every character in smash history (except Rosalina) to a decent degree so i know basics for all characters. Not trying to brag if i sound like it. This goes to anyone who needs help. i always enjoy talking to new people.

Melee Roy is Not even close to B tier he is i believe bottom tier at #21 F tier. Melee Roy is a horrible character competitively and if he was better in a handful of ways he would easily be higher to mid tier minimum. And curiosity is asking here. I notice a lot of you ask for advice on what to do and how to play which isnt bad its just there is so much to teach. Have any of you even ready Sethlons Roy guide? Sure its for PM but it has amazing knowledge for how to play as a player and not a character. He covers good fundamentals and Roy is a fundamentals based character. I dont really see why you ask for help. I personally never learned from asking i learned on my own and by watching and analysis. But hey not everyone is like me. I think i need a lot of work when ive been told im one of the best PM/Melee Roys people have seen. I dont care much for MUs i play by instinct and what i think works. Sure i have base knowledge of fights like how certain MUs are hard for Roy and thats when i switch to Ganon or Falcon. If any of you need any help im always available to give my two cents about it. It may not be pro advice but as a fellow Roy main im sure i can at least bring you closer to unlocking his full potential or any other character you need help with since i can play every character in smash history (except Rosalina) to a decent degree so i know basics for all characters. Not trying to brag if i sound like it. This goes to anyone who needs help. i always enjoy talking to new people.
B in the 2013 NTSC list is what I mean.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBM_tier_lists_(NTSC)

The S/A/B/F four categorization system. Would have been F previously in the 20's around the time of the 10th list.

I can travel again in 2016, and I'm looking to prove things in 2016 and 2017. I might move Roy up, I might not. I have a good training core moving up as soon as 2016 starts, too, so I'll be held back less by lack of Smash in Chaffee County.

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, long-time lurker here who finally got around to making an account.

I've been going back and forth on whether to ask this here, but here goes. There's a tournament in my area tomorrow and I wanted to go (maining Roy obviously), but I just don't think I'm even close to the level I would need to be to not completely embarrass myself. I can win a handful of FG/high-level amiibo matches but nothing consistent, and I've yet to be able to wrap my brain around how to space effectively, utilize combos, or consciously apply technique. Is it worth going for the experience anyway? I know people who are inexperienced are annoying to play against, so I don't want to be in the way of the experienced players (which is probably a best case scenario... I would prefer to not be mocked either).

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828

I've been going back and forth on whether to ask this here, but here goes. There's a tournament in my area tomorrow and I wanted to go (maining Roy obviously), but I just don't think I'm even close to the level I would need to be to not completely embarrass myself. I can win a handful of FG/high-level amiibo matches but nothing consistent, and I've yet to be able to wrap my brain around how to space effectively, utilize combos, or consciously apply technique. Is it worth going for the experience anyway? I know people who are inexperienced are annoying to play against, so I don't want to be in the way of the experienced players (which is probably a best case scenario... I would prefer to not be mocked either).
Lvl 50 Amiibos are nothing to base skill on. They take reduced damage and deal around 1.75x more damage to you. And for Smash 4 Roy tips do a lot of Dthrow combos and use tilts effectively to space. Dont worry about embarrassing yourself man. Just go and have fun and dont play to win but play to have fun. I admit when i went to my first PM tourney and literally didnt drop a single game as Roy i took the liberty of making GFs more fun by having a turbo all star matches. Like i said play to have fun and dont worry. Other roy tips are Utilt kills decently flare blade is okay in this game but dont spam it. Dthrow into Upb is good at lower %. Dtilt them at the edge is okay but not super good. Hope this helps. good luck tomorrow and report back if you can
Edit- dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 the tier list i looked at was from 2015 but it doesnt matter really.

Last edited:
Played in a wifi bracket tonight after being asked to join recently.

Went solo Roy. I went Puff/Tink in GF's after two Roy wins since I had a set to spare and I was up 2-0. Winning 3-0 would be boring without shenanigans. Puff because the guy was a former Puff main in Brawl and I wanted to mess around. I flew to the bottom blastzone and rested to lose game 3 when I could have won by sitting on stage after gimping the guy, haha. I went Tink game 4 because I believe in tink's potential. I didn't show it off like I wanted, but still won, so I'm disappointed. I have next time to pull out the character every now and then and do better.

Welcome. Get rid of that mindset fast. Don't worry about winning or humiliating yourself. You're never going to get better if you don't go, and you don't play for those people, so why give a **** about them? They're not going to be annoyed, everyone remembers their first tournament and almost everyone was the same. Things will come naturally, you'll be fine. Don't overthink or focus on the game too much, focus on socializing and having fun. Make those your top priority while doing what you can to improve and play. Play friendlies from when the venue opens (or whenever you can show up) until either the venue closes or you have to leave. Don't just leave when you're knocked out of bracket.

Lengthy, save this for last and see if you dig it:

Lvl 50 Amiibos are nothing to base skill on. They take reduced damage and deal around 1.75x more damage to you. And for Smash 4 Roy tips do a lot of Dthrow combos and use tilts effectively to space. Dont worry about embarrassing yourself man. Just go and have fun and dont play to win but play to have fun. I admit when i went to my first PM tourney and literally didnt drop a single game as Roy i took the liberty of making GFs more fun by having a turbo all star matches. Like i said play to have fun and dont worry. Other roy tips are Utilt kills decently flare blade is okay in this game but dont spam it. Dthrow into Upb is good at lower %. Dtilt them at the edge is okay but not super good. Hope this helps. good luck tomorrow and report back if you can
Edit- dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 the tier list i looked at was from 2015 but it doesnt matter really.
Link please? If it's NTSC, I'll take it. I'm hoping it's not that terrible, terrible European attempt at a list this year that seemed like a joke article. I hated so many things about that list and how poorly it was made and structured kjsaskfhasfl;sahfsakfhasl;kfhaf;kshanfl;

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
Welcome. Get rid of that mindset fast. Don't worry about winning or humiliating yourself. You're never going to get better if you don't go, and you don't play for those people, so why give a **** about them? They're not going to be annoyed, everyone remembers their first tournament and almost everyone was the same. Things will come naturally, you'll be fine. Don't overthink or focus on the game too much, focus on socializing and having fun. Make those your top priority while doing what you can to improve and play. Play friendlies from when the venue opens (or whenever you can show up) until either the venue closes or you have to leave. Don't just leave when you're knocked out of bracket.
Maybe not annoyed per se, but it seems like everyone complains about scrubs online or at tournaments. I get discouraged and self-conscious really easily, which I'm thinking is a sign that I should probably stay out of the kitchen. I can understand if there's sort of a culture of being rough on/hazing new players because everybody went through it themselves, but I wouldn't be that upset to let go of the notion of getting good at competitive Smash if that's what it involves. But I dunno, maybe offline tournaments aren't like that.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Maybe not annoyed per se, but it seems like everyone complains about scrubs online or at tournaments. I get discouraged and self-conscious really easily, which I'm thinking is a sign that I should probably stay out of the kitchen. I can understand if there's sort of a culture of being rough on/hazing new players because everybody went through it themselves, but I wouldn't be that upset to let go of the notion of getting good at competitive Smash if that's what it involves. But I dunno, maybe offline tournaments aren't like that.
Please. Hazing new players is ****ing stupid and you honestly shouldnt be a part of the smash comm if you are an asshole to new players. And as for complaining about scrubs well. If anything try and ask questions when you can to get better and if it were me you asked id sit and play friendlies to help you out and teach you some cool ****. Thats how we should treat new players. Teach them and not discourage them. Just dont be cocky and think your god if you win your first tourney because honestly that is annoying. I won my first tournament and have never one a single one after. Close every time but still and i consider myself advanced. Just dont let people push you around and if some **** says this will be free since youre new then just ignore them. If you want to just play and have fun listen to music during the match since people like to talk ****. I even talk **** when i play just because mainly im playing with friends but if i get a clean sweep i do start trash talking and its a bad habit.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Definitely save replays & review them and ask for critiques like others were saying.

Another thing is that people learn differently and at different rates. For example, although I like reading upon pages and pages of info, I'm more of a tactile/hands-on learner.

I find I learn things easier and improve better if I'm playing with someone right there (like irl or over Skype) to help answer questions, provide demonstrations, and show how to do things. Kinda like having a mentor I guess (it's also how I learned to get better at drawing all my life). Plus I find receiving instant feedback a lot more helpful. Some people are a lot stronger at learning things individually and just reading a **** ton of theory and stuff, but like I said, everyone has a different learning style and preferences. Do you know know what learning style you have? Have you tried playing against Roy players who can provide feedback & critiques, or just someone in general that can offer instant advice while you play?

Well it seems that we've been playing competitively for roughly the same amount of time, it could be pretty likely that we're around the same skill level. I have a week off school so if you wanna play some friendlies sometime then I should be free all week, that way we could try to help each other improve by observing bad habits and such. If you wanna do that then you can just pm me.
Hmm, I wonder if it will do good if we coordinate like a few study sessions together. What I mean is, if you two decide to have some matches, I could also join the room and watch (I'll just SD). That way I could give some advice and we could do rotations. I ain't the best at Smash, but it helps to have multiple people providing feedback. The more people on this, the better and I think Skype would make things easy, but posting feedback here or sticking it to PMs works just fine if you're not keen on Skype. Or you can just post replays here to critique after. Whatever works. my schedule's pretty busy though, but I always try to make time for vidya games

Smash communities should be a welcoming place to anybody, especially to new players. If a certain place isn't welcoming and people are leaving because of that, how are they going to keep the tourneys running? I've heard stories from friends about very friendly communities, and some that aren't so friendly (but to be fair, it was only a few individuals. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil your fun). And for the latter, the place eventually shutdown because of the decreased player attendance. Hm, I wonder why...

But anyway, the tourney you're interested in, do they have like a community thread here or a Facebook group? You can check how the community is and ask questions if they have some sort of group. For example, my local has a FB group, and one time this player caused some drama and threw a violent fit. He got kicked out and banned from going to the weeklies after he broke his second chance to pick himself up. This was like the only extreme incident I've heard of, at least from when I joined, but from what I gather people are usually very friendly there.

Sometimes you don't really know how things are until to go for yourself. I get nervous really easily which is why I wanted to take my sister with me to a weekly. But even then, I was still hesitant to go until my sister's friend (who I've met before) recently said he'd like to tag along if we decide to attend the tourney. So hopefully we can go next week, if I'm not bombarded with school work lol. I think bringing along someone you trust can make a big difference and might make things more comfortable for your first tourney. If not, then it's still great to attend a tourney no matter what skill level you are. You can learn so much and I'm sure people would be more than happy to play friendlies and give advice. Also, keep in mind some people complain a lot about scrubs online because the anonymity can make it easier to get away with things (plus you get all age groups meaning more immature people).

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Hmm, I wonder if it will do good if we coordinate like a few study sessions together. What I mean is, if you two decide to have some matches, I could also join the room and watch (I'll just SD). That way I could give some advice and we could do rotations. I ain't the best at Smash, but it helps to have multiple people providing feedback. The more people on this, the better and I think Skype would make things easy, but posting feedback here or sticking it to PMs works just fine if you're not keen on Skype. Or you can just post replays here to critique after. Whatever works. my schedule's pretty busy though, but I always try to make time for vidya games
I also approve of using Skype to help review and give help while playing to give on hand tips. I just wouldnt want it to turn into a huge mess of like 60+ people in one group i personally prefer smaller groups. as stated many times im almost always free everyday

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Well I'd be cool with that, just have to see what Guineapig126 Guineapig126 has to say about it. I'll pm you my skype, but be aware upfront, it's quite... memey...

Top Bottom