• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jun Fukuyama is such an awesome voice actor. <3
He is! His voice is great and sometimes I don't even notice it's Jun when I watch certain anime because he's just that talented with using different voices~

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Before I forget, if someone has the time to go over all characters Roy can Dsmash on the ledge regrab and make a list, I'd appreciate it. Might look into it later on, but once we have the data we could like dump it into the meta game thread or whatever so we have a quick resource.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Before I forget, if someone has the time to go over all characters Roy can Dsmash on the ledge regrab and make a list, I'd appreciate it. Might look into it later on, but once we have the data we could like dump it into the meta game thread or whatever so we have a quick resource.
I haven't checked based on all characters, but I did do some basic hitbox testing on Sheik...well, for flare blade and dtilt, since I never really liked dsmash. (If I'm going to cover rolls, which is like, the point of a dsmash lol, I find utilt is a safer option that covers both sides of Roy and can still kill. Maybe I should use it more, though, idk, but I digress lol.)

Anywho, back to the point, flare blade will hit Sheik hanging on the ledge, but only if you hit with specifically the middle of the blade (kinda near the hilt) hanging over the ledge. Not too far, not too close. Didn't test fully charged flare blade, but then, it gets a bigger hitbox fully charged, so I would imagine it's a lot more forgiving, but how often can you reasonably expect to hit with fully charged flare blade outside of shield breaks lol? Dtilt will also poke Sheik hanging on the ledge, but only the sourspot hit (not sweetspot). If you're going to test, might be a good idea to test different spacings, since it gets a bit persnickety between sweet and sourspots.

---

Also, if we're still dumping vods here, Pitzer did really well at the Xanadu Arcadian last night. He got 9th out of 128 people going Roy and Robin. Here's a link to the set he played on stream.

Also, Ninjalink posted this; still watching it myself as I'm sharing it here lol. I really like his use of dance trots.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Oh no... I now love the fire emblem franchise, but I just realised what great cost it came with... POKEMON'S TOO EASY NOW!!!
Well, I've always found pokemon pretty easy but, now it's simply boring. There's no risk long-term whatsoever (eg. no perma-death), and yes, even nuzlockes are pretty easy imo (nuzlockes are where you make extra rules such as perma-death to make the game harder for yourself). I know that there're a lot of different kinds of nuzlockes people have made, such as the wonder-locke, so does anyone have any kind of nuzlocke that they think would actually be very challenging for me?

Just something to note, the games I'm currently willing to reset and do a locke on are: Platinum, Soul Silver, White, White 2 and Alpha Saphire, although my preferred one would be Soul Silver. If you have any ideas then please tell me, I just really don't want to get bored of pokemon.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Oh no... I now love the fire emblem franchise, but I just realised what great cost it came with... POKEMON'S TOO EASY NOW!!!
Well, I've always found pokemon pretty easy but, now it's simply boring. There's no risk long-term whatsoever (eg. no perma-death), and yes, even nuzlockes are pretty easy imo (nuzlockes are where you make extra rules such as perma-death to make the game harder for yourself). I know that there're a lot of different kinds of nuzlockes people have made, such as the wonder-locke, so does anyone have any kind of nuzlocke that they think would actually be very challenging for me?

Just something to note, the games I'm currently willing to reset and do a locke on are: Platinum, Soul Silver, White, White 2 and Alpha Saphire, although my preferred one would be Soul Silver. If you have any ideas then please tell me, I just really don't want to get bored of pokemon.
My perspective on the series is that the in-game story was never the challenging part. The thing that makes pokemon the fun kind of challenging is either for the completionist, the collector, or the competitor. That is, completing the pokedex, collecting rare or hard to breed pokemon, or competing with other humans (I prefer battle spot over the Smogon rulesets, but most competitive formats can work). Most of these would require using a gen 6 game (XY or ORAS), since online trading/battling has been disabled for previous generations (rip). At least in my perspective, that's where the real challenge in pokemon lies, and the in-game story was the precursor you went through to get to that.

If you really want a challenge for the in-game adventure, White 2 comes with the possibility of unlocking a more challenging game mode, though it might require having both versions of the game and 2 DS/3DSes, in order to transfer the keys. idk, I haven't tried for it. You could also try a nuzlocke, solo run, under-leveled run (you set level requirements for your team for each stage of the game; i.e. all pokemon must be at least 2 levels lower than the first gym leader's weakest pokemon, etc)...you can make up all kinds of rules lol. You could do a difficult mono-type team, like a grass mono-type run. Or, you could try your hand at speedrunning. Going through the game as fast as possible.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
My perspective on the series is that the in-game story was never the challenging part. The thing that makes pokemon the fun kind of challenging is either for the completionist, the collector, or the competitor. That is, completing the pokedex, collecting rare or hard to breed pokemon, or competing with other humans (I prefer battle spot over the Smogon rulesets, but most competitive formats can work). Most of these would require using a gen 6 game (XY or ORAS), since online trading/battling has been disabled for previous generations (rip). At least in my perspective, that's where the real challenge in pokemon lies, and the in-game story was the precursor you went through to get to that.

If you really want a challenge for the in-game adventure, White 2 comes with the possibility of unlocking a more challenging game mode, though it might require having both versions of the game and 2 DS/3DSes, in order to transfer the keys. idk, I haven't tried for it. You could also try a nuzlocke, solo run, under-leveled run (you set level requirements for your team for each stage of the game; i.e. all pokemon must be at least 2 levels lower than the first gym leader's weakest pokemon, etc)...you can make up all kinds of rules lol. You could do a difficult mono-type team, like a grass mono-type run. Or, you could try your hand at speedrunning. Going through the game as fast as possible.
yeah, I agree with your view on where the challenge in pokemon is. I actually got really interested in the pokemon metagame for the longest time, then I started competitive smash... after that I never bothered with competitive pokemon like... ever again. It's definitely not my cup of tea, the huge rng factor, the fact it's turn-based so it can have a lot of waiting around, the tediousness of getting a perfect team (didn't stop hatching my shiny, 5 max IV, fully EV trained, female, hidden ability, best nature sceptile though, I had about 30 something boxes of treeckos in my pokebank by the end.).

I'll probably do a regular white 2 nuzlocke, I only played through White/White 2 once each and that was when they first came out. I remember very little of the 2 so it'll be a mostly blind run, I definitely don't remember liking the gen 5 games though, I'll give them another chance.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.

Randomizer nuzlockes for gens 1-3 for desktop unless you have a DS emulation setup that isn't as horrible as any of my attempts, I love to watch PokeAIM/Joey's. Check out his Gold one for a good example, the humor involves other pokemon players and competitive jokes, but it might still be enjoyable to anyone potentially outside of that community. You can customize the level of randomization in a randomized rom to an insane degree.

http://pokehacks.dabomstew.com/randomizer/

For 4-5? If you get a DSTWO card (40 bucks for 8GB of memory to play any and all DS games you want free, get past desktop piracy issues like on HG/SS, never have lag, emulate more than DS which I don't bother with since my firmware PSP does that) you can play translated and randomized roms with the normal DS game feel. Randomizing HG/SS and BW2 are extremely fun. Having FE12 translated on the go is also awesome.

If you want Pokemon that's just
good **** go౦ԁ **** thats ✔ some good**** rightthere right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****,
check out the first two Mystery Dungeon games if you haven't, and look forward to Super Mystery Dungeon with me.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Randomizer nuzlockes for gens 1-3 for desktop unless you have a DS emulation setup that isn't as horrible as any of my attempts, I love to watch PokeAIM/Joey's. Check out his Gold one for a good example, the humor involves other pokemon players and competitive jokes, but it might still be enjoyable to anyone potentially outside of that community. You can customize the level of randomization in a randomized rom to an insane degree.

http://pokehacks.dabomstew.com/randomizer/

For 4-5? If you get a DSTWO card (40 bucks for 8GB of memory to play any and all DS games you want free, get past desktop piracy issues like on HG/SS, never have lag, emulate more than DS which I don't bother with since my firmware PSP does that) you can play translated and randomized roms with the normal DS game feel. Randomizing HG/SS and BW2 are extremely fun. Having FE12 translated on the go is also awesome.

If you want Pokemon that's just
good **** go౦ԁ **** thats ✔ some good**** rightthere right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****,
check out the first two Mystery Dungeon games if you haven't, and look forward to Super Mystery Dungeon with me.
i actually have done multiple randomized emerald nuzlockes, but after a while it kinda loses it's charm.
Mystery dungeon however, I played a bit of my brother's EoD when I was younger and eventually got EoS and was then heavily disappointed with GtI. They better get this one right...

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
yeah, I agree with your view on where the challenge in pokemon is. I actually got really interested in the pokemon metagame for the longest time, then I started competitive smash... after that I never bothered with competitive pokemon like... ever again. It's definitely not my cup of tea, the huge rng factor, the fact it's turn-based so it can have a lot of waiting around, the tediousness of getting a perfect team (didn't stop hatching my shiny, 5 max IV, fully EV trained, female, hidden ability, best nature sceptile though, I had about 30 something boxes of treeckos in my pokebank by the end.).

I'll probably do a regular white 2 nuzlocke, I only played through White/White 2 once each and that was when they first came out. I remember very little of the 2 so it'll be a mostly blind run, I definitely don't remember liking the gen 5 games though, I'll give them another chance.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.
Yeah, I liked the pokemon selection of the second of the two because they had a larger offering of enjoyable pokemon available early, like riolu. Gen 5 pokemon were kinda lack-luster, imo. I've been burned out on Pokemon for a while, but I really enjoyed competitive pokemon for a while, though mostly the official metagames available through Battle Spot in gen 6 rather than the Smogon metagames. I'll get back into it eventually, though, lol.

EDIT: lol, got distracted half way through responding and two more posts magically appeared in the meantime lol.

Last edited:
From a Smash 4 discussion I had just now:

"Roy is godlike.

A Roy with good neutral and use of Roy's tools is ****ing terrifying, especially since they're gonna pressure you safely all day no matter who you are and either make you eat 20-30% or kill you from any punish. I'm as terrified of a Skilled Roy as I am a skilled Sheik, Pika, or ZSS, and I'm more scared of Roy than I'll ever be of Mario or Fox. He's fast enough in both the ground and air to have both excellent ground movement and to be able to descend with full hops and lasting beefy combo-friendly hitboxes in ways nobody else can due to his speed in both and third-fastest air speed, he pokes you safely with a fast disjoint and tons of priority that ****s you up if it touches you, he has a lot of kill moves/confirms that either don't over-commit or have really good frame data for punishing (ftilt, dsmash, usmash, blazer, jab to blazer in some circumstances) or both like ftilt, he has lots of dumb high damage combos (few hits but 20-30 consistently until kill % is really, really good), and he has so many tools to punish landings/ledge getups/other mistakes optimally. Not as many options as Sheik, but his options are consistently terrifying and cover more options at once.

I don't know if that's top qualifications or not, but there are so few good Roys out there, and the ones who do things right (NEO in particular, semifer, Pitzer, Reed, Apa, and then Sethlon's starting to get there) show that he does have that top potential people have been writing off because they haven't seen it yet."
Thoughts? After seeing some scary Roys and doing well on Smashladder last night, I really do believe that Roy is the truth, and people wrote him off pretty early compared to what he can do, especially since there was a DLC hype bandwagon for him that people would naturally move on from after a few weeks and never re-visit. I don't know if he's -that- good, but I think he'll always be a big threat.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

Thoughts? After seeing some scary Roys and doing well on Smashladder last night, I really do believe that Roy is the truth, and people wrote him off pretty early compared to what he can do, especially since there was a DLC hype bandwagon for him that people would naturally move on from after a few weeks and never re-visit. I don't know if he's -that- good, but I think he'll always be a big threat.
I think Roy requires dedication in order to truly be good with him, and that's part of what turned a lot of the people that were interested in him only because DLC hype away, as it should be. Bandwagoners can go find another wagon to band lol. But, I'm excited by the possibilities that are available with him, and I find him a very interesting and fun character in Smash 4.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Edit: Data I got from testing characters and which part of Dsmash they get hit by on the ledge:
Mario: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Luigi: sourspot
Peach: sourspot
Bowser: sourspot
Yoshi: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Rosalina: sourspot
Bowser Jr.: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Wario: sourspot
Donkey Kong: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Diddy Kong: sourspot tip of sword
Mr. Game & Watch: sourspot
Little Mac: sourspot
Link: sourspot
Zelda: sourspot
Sheik: sourspot
Ganondorf: sourspot tip of sword
Toon Link: sourspot
Samus: sourspot
Zero Suit Samus: sourspot
Pit: sourspot tip of the sword
Palutena: sourspot
Marth: sourspot
Ike: sourspot
Robin: sourspot
Duck Hunt: sourspot
Kirby: sourspot
King DeDeDe: sourspot
Meta Knight: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Fox: sourspot
Falco: sourspot
Pikachu: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Charizard: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Lucario: sourspot
Jigglypuff: sourspot but in sweetspot range?
Greninja: sourspot almost tip
R.O.B.: sourspot
Ness: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Captain Falcon: sourspot
Villager: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Olimar: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Wii Fit Trainer: sourspot but can hit sweetspot when she sticks out her head.
Shulk: sourspot almost on the tip
Dr. Mario: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Lucina: sourspot almost tip
Dark Pit: sourspot almost tip
Pac-Man: sourspot
Mega Man: sourspot
Sonic: sourspot almost tip
Mewtwo: sweetspot spaced a little from ledge
Lucas: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge.
Roy: sourspot
Ryu: sourspot

Last edited:
I think Roy requires dedication in order to truly be good with him, and that's part of what turned a lot of the people that were interested in him only because DLC hype away, as it should be. Bandwagoners can go find another wagon to band lol. But, I'm excited by the possibilities that are available with him, and I find him a very interesting and fun character in Smash 4.
We just need Roytwo as part of the next wave to get them back. Hopefully more will stay this time.

Which version do you think he'll get a mega evolution from for final smash? Conquest or Birthright?

Data I got from testing the first row of characters and which part of Dsmash they get hit by on the ledge:
Mario: sweetspot and sourspot
Yoshi: sweetspot and sourspot
Bowser Jr.: sweetspot and sourspot
Donkey Kong: sweetspot and sourspot
Diddy Kong: tip of sword

Edit: next row
Ganondorf: tip of sword
Pit: tip of the sword
Meta Knight: sweetspot
Thank you so much for this data. Is this just characters tested so far, or all of the cast with ones that can't be hit unlisted?

I need to check this list whenever I play a smashladder match or friends with mains I easily remember, lmao. Hopefully I can apply it for times when I don't have time to look at a bunch of notes. If I can commit to memory a list of all characters Roy can tech chase to death with fthrow and/or dthrow in Melee, maybe I can do this.

I've got tons of exciting moments and displays of Roy's strength from this weekend on Anther's. It'll take a while, since upload speed is slow for replays directly from the Wii U, which will give me lots of time to edit them. I'm hoping I'll be able to edit clips in WMM and match them to fitting music like Croph Croph suggested. This'll be the best or some of the best Roy play on YouTube or even out there in general which is why I'm so excited for it, and why I wish I could just show you guys this already ;~;.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
We just need Roytwo as part of the next wave to get them back. Hopefully more will stay this time.

Which version do you think he'll get a mega evolution from for final smash? Conquest or Birthright?

Thank you so much for this data. Is this just characters tested so far, or all of the cast with ones that can't be hit unlisted?

I need to check this list whenever I play a smashladder match or friends with mains I easily remember, lmao. Hopefully I can apply it for times when I don't have time to look at a bunch of notes. If I can commit to memory a list of all characters Roy can tech chase to death with fthrow and/or dthrow in Melee, maybe I can do this.

I've got tons of exciting moments and displays of Roy's strength from this weekend on Anther's. It'll take a while, since upload speed is slow for replays directly from the Wii U, which will give me lots of time to edit them. I'm hoping I'll be able to edit clips in WMM and match them to fitting music like Croph Croph suggested. This'll be the best or some of the best Roy play on YouTube or even out there in general which is why I'm so excited for it, and why I wish I could just show you guys this already ;~;.
They're all the characters I've tested. I'm sure everyone is hitable with some part of Dsmash. At least the tip. I'll continue tomorrow.

Between the ones listed as sourspot, some are easier to hit than others. Like you can hit Kirby and Duck Hunt from closer to the edge than Marth. I may divide the sourspot into more parts when I'm finished and re-test it, but the important part is knowing which can be hit by the sweetspot anyways. For the rest I think another option could be more viable.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Hello fellow roy mains Pitzer here. Just wanted to say hi and what not. I got 9th at Xanadu out of 128 people and I got 3rd in Pm with Roy out of 60. I truly believe that Roy is a very solid character with a lot of potential. I hope to keep improving his Metagame as much as I can. ^_^ Also I do have a Robin too! I really find Robin fun, S/he can be a very technical character in the right hands.

Hello fellow roy mains Pitzer here. Just wanted to say hi and what not. I got 9th at Xanadu out of 128 people and I got 3rd in Pm with Roy out of 60. I truly believe that Roy is a very solid character with a lot of potential. I hope to keep improving his Metagame as much as I can. ^_^ Also I do have a Robin too! I really find Robin fun, S/he can be a very technical character in the right hands.
I'm thinking of doing hightlights on my channel of up-and-coming Roys, and you've been one of the stand-out candidates for a first or second video.

I've been following your PM Roy since early or mid 2014, good ****. Glad to see you enjoy him and succeed with him in 4.

They're all the characters I've tested. I'm sure everyone is hitable with some part of Dsmash. At least the tip. I'll continue tomorrow.

Between the ones listed as sourspot, some are easier to hit than others. Like you can hit Kirby and Duck Hunt from closer to the edge than Marth. I may divide the sourspot into more parts when I'm finished and re-test it, but the important part is knowing which can be hit by the sweetspot anyways. For the rest I think another option could be more viable.
Ooooooh yes, so there's even more Roy's dsmash can be a threat to on the ledge? There's only two sweetspots on each dsmash slash despite Roy generally having three sweetspots on moves, so I'm not sure if more than two is necessary.

Sourspotted bair has way more knockback for stage spikes than it should, and I love it.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

Conquest obviously, because who wants to promote into the ability to use staves??? That'd be almost as bad as...well...modeling Smash Robin off an MU that chose speed as the dump stat. >.> Didn't they know you should dump luck?

Hey, you. ^_^ You're late to the party, lol, I already posted your streamed match a few posts ago.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Conquest obviously, because who wants to promote into the ability to use staves??? That'd be almost as bad as...well...modeling Smash Robin off an MU that chose speed as the dump stat. >.> Didn't they know you should dump luck?

Hey, you. ^_^ You're late to the party, lol, I already posted your streamed match a few posts ago.
Im usually late to the party haha!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Good job, cuz! I saw your match. Nice spacing!

Dump def and raise speed obviously. Dank build on any difficulty that's universal for all classes, it just makes Lunatic and beyond a bit more difficult starting out.

I'm forever going to be salty that Robin has such a low run speed. I'd understand running slower than Ike even though that big n***a still mobs it, but come on. I still think Robin's good enough for the what they are, I'm just disappointed compared to initial expectations, and nobody of that physique with just a coat and pants should run that slowly.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Dump def and raise speed obviously. Dank build on any difficulty that's universal for all classes, it just makes Lunatic and beyond a bit more difficult starting out.

I'm forever going to be salty that Robin has such a low run speed. I'd understand running slower than Ike even though that big n***a still mobs it, but come on. I still think Robin's good enough for the what they are, I'm just disappointed compared to initial expectations, and nobody of that physique with just a coat and pants should run that slowly.
I could never fully commit to the dodge tank lifestyle lol. Was more willing to give up a point of atk/mag than risk the RNG.

Troykv

Smash Master
Is weird look a guy with a coat (Robín) running slower than a man with armor (Ganondorf).

Is weird look a guy with a coat (Robín) running slower than a man with armor (Ganondorf).
Wario is fat and runs pretty fast.

Olimar's trying to run that 5k in a spacesuit.

Peach is in a DDRESS AND HELLS. that typo made me laugh so I'm keeping it.

Meta Knight is an iron ball item straight from Pokemon with ballerina shoes and bat wings taped on, how does he run so fast?

Bowser could be an MVP at field day in this game, so could Donkey Kong.

Even Link has reasonable dash speed.

Samus is in even more armor than Ganon.

....I'm never going to understand the decisions made for Robin. Robin running like Fox or Marth would make infinitely more sense.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I can't do netplay of either, or even run them past a few frames a second =(

If you have footage of netplay matches, what I could do is make a combo video out of it. I want to put more Melee and PM Roys in the spotlight, too.

There's an in-game upload for replays that are 3 minutes or less in Smash 4, it takes forever and you have to grab the footage off youtube though, plus no 60 fps capture. It's what I'm currently limited to.
Can't you upload your videos since a few patches ago on Youtube directly...?

Edit: What I actually came here for:
I plan to play roy, but I really have no idea what I should main as Partner along. I though about Rosalina or Pikatchu, but I can play so many characters in the meanwhile... what are your opinions on this matter?
I dont do netplay much anymore since the people i play with dont really play and when i do PM netplay with my best friend all i do is mess around with Ganon and Roy and i dont play smash 4 much so its a waste to save replays. i guess i could do some recordings of me and my friend messing around since i do play the same as when i play for serious battles. I just dont have the drive to really play much anymore. no one normally wants to play when i want to so yeah. and dont mention cancer ladder. Anthers is way too toxic for me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Edit: Data I got from testing characters and which part of Dsmash they get hit by on the ledge:
Mario: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Yoshi: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Bowser Jr.: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Donkey Kong: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Diddy Kong: sourspot tip of sword
Ganondorf: sourspot tip of sword
Pit: sourspot tip of the sword
Meta Knight: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Fox: sourspot
Falco: sourspot
Pikachu: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Charizard: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Lucario: sourspot
Jigglypuff: sourspot but in sweetspot range?
Greninja: sourspot almost tip
R.O.B.: sourspot
Ness: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Captain Falcon: sourspot
Villager: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Olimar: sweetspot even from the edge of the ledge
Wii Fit Trainer: sourspot but can hit sweetspot when she sticks out her head.
Shulk: sourspot almost on the tip
Dr. Mario: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge
Lucina: sourspot almost tip
Dark Pit: sourspot almost tip
Pac-Man: sourspot
Mega Man: sourspot
Sonic: sourspot almost tip
Mewtwo: sweetspot spaced a little from ledge
Lucas: sweetspot slightly distanced from ledge.
Roy: sourspot
Ryu: sourspot
Awesome stuff, thank you!

There's people who got off the bandwagon and wrote him off early that probably need to see pro Roy players get consistent good results with him in order to change their views. You hear questions like, "Well if X characters is so good, where is the representation? Why isn't X scoring big at regional/nationals?"

To be fair, there are characters who are regarded as very good, or at least have potential, but don't receive the same amount of love as like the top tiers or characters that naturally attract new players (thanks to the character's gameplay/hype level, Ryu's a good example). More love = faster meta game development + more results. Less love = underplayed characters + untapped potential. Yeah, I count possible niche picks as untapped potential as well. Because how do we know otherwise if we brush off characters who might be regarded as "not relevant", never experimenting and exploring different options?

I think Roy's a solid character but we do have all the time we need to develop a character's meta game. I'd hate to overrate a fighter, but also underrate someone as well. It's sometimes hard to gauge these things, but like who knows.

Meta Knight is an iron ball item straight from Pokemon with ballerina shoes and bat wings taped on, how does he run so fast?

....I'm never going to understand the decisions made for Robin. Robin running like Fox or Marth would make infinitely more sense.
My only explanation is that Robin carries so much extra weapons (swords, tomes, etc.), even more than Link, which weighs him down a ton. Either that or Robin needs to work out at the gym more and get some speed stats in. I could honestly imagine Robin looking exhausted and panting heavily after his running animation lol.

And I bet Meta Knight got his speed taken from Kirby Air Ride cuz y'know Sakurai bias. :troll:

He could keep up with motorbikes and cosmic race machines. If we ever get a new F-Zero, watch we get Meta Knight himself as a DLC racer. Super high-speed races are no problem for him!

Come back when you can put up a race.

Whaaat!? I never got to do something as crazy like that in school...

Hm, there was one time in chemistry class where I turned on a bunsen burner and a huge pillar of flame shot straight up from it (there was a gas leak or something). Almost looked like the flame reached the ceiling. No one was hurt, but there were a lot of gasps.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Some of these cases has explanation (like Meta Knight actually flying in his "running animation"), but the Peach's one is really stupid xD

Last edited:
I dont do netplay much anymore since the people i play with dont really play and when i do PM netplay with my best friend all i do is mess around with Ganon and Roy and i dont play smash 4 much so its a waste to save replays. i guess i could do some recordings of me and my friend messing around since i do play the same as when i play for serious battles. I just dont have the drive to really play much anymore. no one normally wants to play when i want to so yeah. and dont mention cancer ladder. Anthers is way too toxic for me.
I 0 to deathed a Ness when the connection was pristine. They ran offstage for the rest of their stocks, peaced immediately, and left a 2/5 connection rating. Bleh. It was a 5/5 on both ends, there was absolutely no lag for the 10 seconds we played.

I've had some other weirdos but that one gave me a good laugh for a while.

I like PM Ganon too. He looks so cool moving around. None of the smash games made Ganon feel right, he's just painful to play in anything that's not a Brawl mod.

Awesome stuff, thank you!

There's people who got off the bandwagon and wrote him off early that probably need to see pro Roy players get consistent good results with him in order to change their views. You hear questions like, "Well if X characters is so good, where is the representation? Why isn't X scoring big at regional/nationals?"

To be fair, there are characters who are regarded as very good, or at least have potential, but don't receive the same amount of love as like the top tiers or characters that naturally attract new players (thanks to the character's gameplay/hype level, Ryu's a good example). More love = faster meta game development + more results. Less love = underplayed characters + untapped potential. Yeah, I count possible niche picks as untapped potential as well. Because how do we know otherwise if we brush off characters who might be regarded as "not relevant", never experimenting and exploring different options?

I think Roy's a solid character but we do have all the time we need to develop a character's meta game. I'd hate to overrate a fighter, but also underrate someone as well. It's sometimes hard to gauge these things, but like who knows.

My only explanation is that Robin carries so much extra weapons (swords, tomes, etc.), even more than Link, which weighs him down a ton. Either that or Robin needs to work out at the gym more and get some speed stats in. I could honestly imagine Robin looking exhausted and panting heavily after his running animation lol.

And I bet Meta Knight got his speed taken from Kirby Air Ride cuz y'know Sakurai bias. :troll:

He could keep up with motorbikes and cosmic race machines. If we ever get a new F-Zero, watch we get Meta Knight himself as a DLC racer. Super high-speed races are no problem for him!

Come back when you can put up a race.

Whaaat!? I never got to do something as crazy like that in school...

Hm, there was one time in chemistry class where I turned on a bunsen burner and a huge pillar of flame shot straight up from it (there was a gas leak or something). Almost looked like the flame reached the ceiling. No one was hurt, but there were a lot of gasps.
Yeah, development and results are key for even more development. It's kind of like needing work experience to get a job when trying to get a first job. I feel like some characters are only as good/high as they are because of random development for whatever reasons, that some are so developed you really have to dig through the bottom of the barrel to give anything more with so little left. I can't think of any non-nonsensical way to word this, but I feel some characters are better than they actually are (in the meta) due to things like Diddy's rapid development a while back, and how pure development and skill utilizing it lets Diddy remain a threat despite changes over time and new threats pouring in.

Fox and Pikachu's development have brought them to scary levels. I'm excited for Roy, there's some kind of fear to him. No matter how you're launched by dthrow or fthrow, it naturally puts you at an angle where you feel scared and try to figure out what to do, especially as a fastfaller. I play so few Roys that it throws me off (yes, literally throws me off) in dittos. A lot of his strings work like that, through conditioning and punishing, which I find really neat. A master of that could really push Roy's power. Their pokes could be very difficult and frustrating to break, and they could properly punish in several scenarios in a row for huge mileage, and repeat.

He throws you at weird and scary angles, he has so many kill moves you have to respect and fear, he has so many ways to safely poke and pressure, then make you regret the options he chases you down for, and he's hard to camp or gain breathing room from due to his ground and air speed. If he doesn't want to fish for kills, he can switch between different kills/confirms safely or continue to poke to open up the wound. He'll rush you down, calmly remain in your face with his blade, and dance around until you make a mis-step, then he'll kick you to the floor and cut you up.

I really like Roy's design, and I feel like a top Roy would need to get into the mindset that they're inflicting fear on their opponent and forcing their will on them to do what the Roy wants, which is the mindset I enjoy the game most with while playing. Extreme conditioning, soft reads opening into big reads, safely poking until the opponent makes a mistake, and using Roy's incredible movement with every technique in the book while manipulating the opponent is something I feel that'll work at any level of play, and will be needed to prove him as a top character. Presence of mind and fear is needed. Maybe there's more mindsets and ways the character can be terrifying through the game. Roy needs reads to dominate, but not simply hard reads like people have historically argued for low-tiers. He gets so much off of reaction and tiny mistakes, while being pretty solid in general, which is why I believe he needs reads but not in the same ways. He can force people into flowcharts, and he can force the reads he wants. If he doesn't get them, he still holds stage control or tacks on less damage than planned, which is still good.

As much as people deny that perfect play would lack this sort of stuff, I disagree. I feel that any player can be conditioned mentally into slipping up in ways that'll make the other win, and Roy's got stuff outside that.

I can imagine a pretty swole Robin after many gym trips. Big arms like Ike, toned arms like Roy, arms practically ripping out of that coat for the Ryu sleeves look. They can toss a bookshelf at you rather than just a book, and a rack of swords rather than a sword. I don't know if swords are held on those, for rack of a better s(word). If they showed this off for a new game involving this, would it be shameless shelf-promotion? Or if they threw a crate of electrical supplies instead of a thunder tome, would there be a shameless plug? They have a lot of tools, just in case.

I can put up the race needed.

With that science experiment? Mega Man can cause crowd gasps if his down smash hits. Must be a bug if that happened on a total whiff.

Some of these cases has explanation (like Meta Knight actually flying in his "running animation"), but the Peach's one is really stupid xD
With high-level ground movement in Melee (wavedashing, pivots, and dash dancing) I can't help but feel really bad for Peach in heels and a dress. When it comes to how good she is on the ground in Melee, up tilt is her crowning achievement. She also has a crowning acheivment in the air, which is only fair.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I 0 to deathed a Ness when the connection was pristine. They ran offstage for the rest of their stocks, peaced immediately, and left a 2/5 connection rating. Bleh. It was a 5/5 on both ends, there was absolutely no lag for the 10 seconds we played.

I've had some other weirdos but that one gave me a good laugh for a while.

I like PM Ganon too. He looks so cool moving around. None of the smash games made Ganon feel right, he's just painful to play in anything that's not a Brawl mod.

Yeah, development and results are key for even more development. It's kind of like needing work experience to get a job when trying to get a first job. I feel like some characters are only as good/high as they are because of random development for whatever reasons, that some are so developed you really have to dig through the bottom of the barrel to give anything more with so little left. I can't think of any non-nonsensical way to word this, but I feel some characters are better than they actually are (in the meta) due to things like Diddy's rapid development a while back, and how pure development and skill utilizing it lets Diddy remain a threat despite changes over time and new threats pouring in.

Fox and Pikachu's development have brought them to scary levels. I'm excited for Roy, there's some kind of fear to him. No matter how you're launched by dthrow or fthrow, it naturally puts you at an angle where you feel scared and try to figure out what to do, especially as a fastfaller. I play so few Roys that it throws me off (yes, literally throws me off) in dittos. A lot of his strings work like that, through conditioning and punishing, which I find really neat. A master of that could really push Roy's power. Their pokes could be very difficult and frustrating to break, and they could properly punish in several scenarios in a row for huge mileage, and repeat.

He throws you at weird and scary angles, he has so many kill moves you have to respect and fear, he has so many ways to safely poke and pressure, then make you regret the options he chases you down for, and he's hard to camp or gain breathing room from due to his ground and air speed. If he doesn't want to fish for kills, he can switch between different kills/confirms safely or continue to poke to open up the wound. He'll rush you down, calmly remain in your face with his blade, and dance around until you make a mis-step, then he'll kick you to the floor and cut you up.

I really like Roy's design, and I feel like a top Roy would need to get into the mindset that they're inflicting fear on their opponent and forcing their will on them to do what the Roy wants, which is the mindset I enjoy the game most with while playing. Extreme conditioning, soft reads opening into big reads, safely poking until the opponent makes a mistake, and using Roy's incredible movement with every technique in the book while manipulating the opponent is something I feel that'll work at any level of play, and will be needed to prove him as a top character. Presence of mind and fear is needed. Maybe there's more mindsets and ways the character can be terrifying through the game. Roy needs reads to dominate, but not simply hard reads like people have historically argued for low-tiers. He gets so much off of reaction and tiny mistakes, while being pretty solid in general, which is why I believe he needs reads but not in the same ways. He can force people into flowcharts, and he can force the reads he wants. If he doesn't get them, he still holds stage control or tacks on less damage than planned, which is still good.

As much as people deny that perfect play would lack this sort of stuff, I disagree. I feel that any player can be conditioned mentally into slipping up in ways that'll make the other win, and Roy's got stuff outside that.

I can imagine a pretty swole Robin after many gym trips. Big arms like Ike, toned arms like Roy, arms practically ripping out of that coat for the Ryu sleeves look. They can toss a bookshelf at you rather than just a book, and a rack of swords rather than a sword. I don't know if swords are held on those, for rack of a better s(word). If they showed this off for a new game involving this, would it be shameless shelf-promotion? Or if they threw a crate of electrical supplies instead of a thunder tome, would there be a shameless plug? They have a lot of tools, just in case.

With that science experiment? Mega Man can cause crowd gasps if his down smash hits. Must be a bug if that happened on a total whiff.

With high-level ground movement in Melee (wavedashing, pivots, and dash dancing) I can't help but feel really bad for Peach in heels and a dress. When it comes to how good she is on the ground in Melee, up tilt is her crowning achievement. She also has a crowning acheivment in the air, which is only fair.
So many puns...
Anyways, I played through the roster. Roy is -the- character that suits my agressive playstyle just the best. He's fast, he punishes, and he is -so- fun to play. If Neutral B gets a biiiit better hitboxes, he'd be perfect.
But I -still- struggle with a suitable partner. Though about maybe Pikatchu, or Ness, or even Rosaluma. But I really don't know...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Yeah, Roy's mobility specs and footsie game is very solid. I feel like it's one of those things you should abuse in order to do well with him. He also packed on a few pounds, being heavier than Marth = increased survivability. This makes him a good Rage user as well. Interesting mobility specs for someone of that weight.

I never really paid much attention to the potential mindgames he could offer, but I can see where you're coming from. Roy does have the tools (which you've already mentioned) to help get into that "fear-inducing" mindset more easily. I think it's probably more effective against low-level opponents, or those who lack knowledge/MU experience. I've seen times where people are against whatever character and they overestimate how powerful a move is, get scared, and SD. But then I've seen times where people underestimate and challenge a move, like with Roy in particular, and things ended up badly. But you never know, stuff like this can and has happened in high-level play.

I can also put up a race if needed!

I'm so faest I can go over 200 fasts/h. :4sonic:

So many puns...
Anyways, I played through the roster. Roy is -the- character that suits my agressive playstyle just the best. He's fast, he punishes, and he is -so- fun to play. If Neutral B gets a biiiit better hitboxes, he'd be perfect.
But I -still- struggle with a suitable partner. Though about maybe Pikatchu, or Ness, or even Rosaluma. But I really don't know...
Are you looking for a specific character that could cover Roy's weaknesses, or someone in general that you like to play? If it's the former, I'd say experiment with the high tiers to find which ones you like the most. Pikachu seems like a fun character to learn out of the three imo. Keep in mind that sometimes finding a secondary, or even a main, might take some time (especially since we have balance patches affecting characters). Took me like more than a year to settle with Lucas as my main in Brawl. Before then I was just playing like all characters...

What abooout trying characters like :4falcon::4sonic::4metaknight::4fox::4miibrawl:??

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Yeah, Roy's mobility specs and footsie game is very solid. I feel like it's one of those things you should abuse in order to do well with him. He also packed on a few pounds, being heavier than Marth = increased survivability. This makes him a good Rage user as well. Interesting mobility specs for someone of that weight.

I never really paid much attention to the potential mindgames he could offer, but I can see where you're coming from. Roy does have the tools (which you've already mentioned) to help get into that "fear-inducing" mindset more easily. I think it's probably more effective against low-level opponents, or those who lack knowledge/MU experience. I've seen times where people are against whatever character and they overestimate how powerful a move is, get scared, and SD. But then I've seen times where people underestimate and challenge a move, like with Roy in particular, and things ended up badly. But you never know, stuff like this can and has happened in high-level play.

Are you looking for a specific character that could cover Roy's weaknesses, or someone in general that you like to play? If it's the former, I'd say experiment with the high tiers to find which ones you like the most. Pikachu seems like a fun character to learn out of the three imo. Keep in mind that sometimes finding a secondary, or even a main, might take some time (especially since we have balance patches affecting characters). Took me like more than a year to settle with Lucas as my main in Brawl. Before then I was just playing like all characters...

What abooout trying characters like :4falcon::4sonic::4metaknight::4fox::4miibrawl:??
Trying to cover his weaknesses. Pikatchu is an obvious choice for fun and playstyle that could suite me, but I don't know...
After the luigi nerv, Pika surely has a general better matchup, but I don't know if I even need roy then anymore.

And I will 100% main roy. I played through the whole roster, played each character for a while, and Roy just gives me that what Lucina and Shulk lacked. But I know I am not good enough for Roy yet, hence I'd need a character that could cover his weaknesses, a character that supports him well.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757

Super sanic though MLG sponsorship

Edit: Lets be real though if Robin ran at canon speed from awakening s/he would probably be ******** as hell xD.

Last edited:

Fastfalling is also key. A lot of the best characters have most or almost all of their killpower off the top (Sheik, Fox, Pikachu, Mario, Rosalina, ZSS, Sonic) and being a fastfaller makes it so that Roy doesn't die vertically as easy, and his fast aerial mobility (3rd fastest in the game) coupled with the mixups the incredibly drastic Blazer has in this game circumvents that. While fastfalling makes combo'ing him easier, he has nair and jab to poke him out of pressure situations, and it's not as bad as Fox or Falcon's cases. He's more like Sheik in that sense.

If an opponent tries a wonky jab setup (first or second hit of jab into something else, or Fox trying to utilt repeatedly), you can hold down to lower knockback->toss out jab and then get a free grab (low percents), fair/nair (low and mid percents, even high), or sometimes Blazer (high % kill confirm off jab).

First hit of nair combos into jab, which lets you refer to the "toss out jab" part of the above sentence. I've been doing it a crazy amount lately.

Roy's prescence of mind is more effective vs. low-level players, but I want to refine it to the point where it more consistently affects better players. I wonder how MU experience will fare, but I don't think we'll ever be at a point where more than a few people know the Roy MU. Especially the high-level Roy MU. That could be a gimmick we could abuse, I want to have two mindsets where I can scope out if they know it or not and switch accordingly.

I recognize that Chariots of Fire music anywhere... is this Super Monkey Ball's spiritual meme successor?

I'm also sad it skipped that based theme (I think something from Sonic Adventure 1? Something that might play when running from a helicopter? I can't find it)

Why that like/dislike ratio too? People suck.

Trying to cover his weaknesses. Pikatchu is an obvious choice for fun and playstyle that could suite me, but I don't know...
After the luigi nerv, Pika surely has a general better matchup, but I don't know if I even need roy then anymore.

And I will 100% main roy. I played through the whole roster, played each character for a while, and Roy just gives me that what Lucina and Shulk lacked. But I know I am not good enough for Roy yet, hence I'd need a character that could cover his weaknesses, a character that supports him well.
Roy for Luigi. Luigi is even more Roy-fodder than before.

Pikachu? I guess only for absolutely terrible matchups. Just because you pick up Pikachu doesn't mean you'll automatically play all or most matchups better as Pikachu, or that you need to switch to Pikachu. You'll still do better against most characters with Roy if you have more experience with him and if he gives you that feel nobody else does. Pikachu is just a safety net for those matchups with such an extreme difference between the two.
There's always been situations where someone in Melee will have a Sheik that does turnaround needle cancels and autocancel fairs, but they pick up Fox and never really practice him, not even doing things like waveshines, shine grab, drillshine, double SHL or even SHL at all, just to beat Ice Climbers in a scenario where their highly-developed Sheik will struggle. They could get stuck in shine or ground laser a lot, but it wouldn't matter. If they pulled out Fox anywhere else, it just wouldn't work like Sheik. Think of it like that.

Super sanic though MLG sponsorship

Edit: Lets be real though if Robin ran at canon speed from awakening s/he would probably be ******** as hell xD.
I booted up Awakening, since I didn't really think of the tactician model's speed when moving around with a sword there, and watched about 6-7 battles.

They're not as fast of a runner as I wanted to give them credit for, but they're definitely not as slow as in Smash, and they could have had some cool leaping attack(s) to help with mobility.

=(

If we did use Awakening's stats, like Robin's potential SPD stat, we have Marth/Ike/Roy in there with pretty dumb Bonus Box stats too, Marth/Roy with low DLC appearance stats, and low-stats Ike as an early DLC boss. So I've never been really sure how to compare Awakening's stats to other heroes, since everyone can be stupid powerful or early fodder, and you could take Alm, Ike, or Eliwood and have them solo someone like Ephraim or Marth's army right off the bat, or fight themselves and their own armies. You could take Mist and make her into a general with Helswath. Time travel and interdimensional travel to make besties with knights and healers thousands of years apart is weird, man.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

I'd pick Sheik as secondary, in order to better understand how that character works. It's easier to know how to take a character apart if you've had a chance to play as that character, at least imo. Since Sheik is the best in the game, and you're pretty likely to run into a lot of them, she'd be a good alternate character to know well.

Fastfalling is also key. A lot of the best characters have most or almost all of their killpower off the top (Sheik, Fox, Pikachu, Mario, Rosalina, ZSS, Sonic) and being a fastfaller makes it so that Roy doesn't die vertically as easy, and his fast aerial mobility (3rd fastest in the game) coupled with the mixups the incredibly drastic Blazer has in this game circumvents that. While fastfalling makes combo'ing him easier, he has nair and jab to poke him out of pressure situations, and it's not as bad as Fox or Falcon's cases. He's more like Sheik in that sense.

If an opponent tries a wonky jab setup (first or second hit of jab into something else, or Fox trying to utilt repeatedly), you can hold down to lower knockback->toss out jab and then get a free grab (low percents), fair/nair (low and mid percents, even high), or sometimes Blazer (high % kill confirm off jab).

First hit of nair combos into jab, which lets you refer to the "toss out jab" part of the above sentence. I've been doing it a crazy amount lately.

Roy's prescence of mind is more effective vs. low-level players, but I want to refine it to the point where it more consistently affects better players. I wonder how MU experience will fare, but I don't think we'll ever be at a point where more than a few people know the Roy MU. Especially the high-level Roy MU. That could be a gimmick we could abuse, I want to have two mindsets where I can scope out if they know it or not and switch accordingly.

I recognize that Chariots of Fire music anywhere... is this Super Monkey Ball's spiritual meme successor?

I'm also sad it skipped that based theme (I think something from Sonic Adventure 1? Something that might play when running from a helicopter? I can't find it)

Why that like/dislike ratio too? People suck.

Roy for Luigi. Luigi is even more Roy-fodder than before.

Pikachu? I guess only for absolutely terrible matchups. Just because you pick up Pikachu doesn't mean you'll automatically play all or most matchups better as Pikachu, or that you need to switch to Pikachu. You'll still do better against most characters with Roy if you have more experience with him and if he gives you that feel nobody else does. Pikachu is just a safety net for those matchups with such an extreme difference between the two.
There's always been situations where someone in Melee will have a Sheik that does turnaround needle cancels and autocancel fairs, but they pick up Fox and never really practice him, not even doing things like waveshines, shine grab, drillshine, double SHL or even SHL at all, just to beat Ice Climbers in a scenario where their highly-developed Sheik will struggle. They could get stuck in shine or ground laser a lot, but it wouldn't matter. If they pulled out Fox anywhere else, it just wouldn't work like Sheik. Think of it like that.

I booted up Awakening, since I didn't really think of the tactician model's speed when moving around with a sword there, and watched about 6-7 battles.

They're not as fast of a runner as I wanted to give them credit for, but they're definitely not as slow as in Smash, and they could have had some cool leaping attack(s) to help with mobility.

=(

If we did use Awakening's stats, like Robin's potential SPD stat, we have Marth/Ike/Roy in there with pretty dumb Bonus Box stats too, Marth/Roy with low DLC appearance stats, and low-stats Ike as an early DLC boss. So I've never been really sure how to compare Awakening's stats to other heroes, since everyone can be stupid powerful or early fodder, and you could take Alm, Ike, or Eliwood and have them solo someone like Ephraim or Marth's army right off the bat, or fight themselves and their own armies. You could take Mist and make her into a general with Helswath. Time travel and interdimensional travel to make besties with knights and healers thousands of years apart is weird, man.
uair is actually a better combo-breaking aerial than nair, since uair's hitbox comes out 1 frame sooner (frame 5 vs 6), a small difference, but is useful to know.

As for how many people will know the Roy MU...I agree that high level Roys will probably be rare, but I think Roy is one of the more common characters at mid/low level, so I think a lot of people will have at least a basic idea of Roy's kit and gameplan. He's pretty popular, not unlike Falcon. To give you a rough idea of how popular he is, the Roy skype group has 94 people (that have actually posted in the group at least once in the last month as of about a week or two ago, the time of the last inacitves purge), down from the whopping 170+ people that were in the group at the height of the hype period during the first week (man, first week was awful. Thankfully the group has settled down now that the band-wagoners are all gone). To compare, Marth group has 82 people, Pika group 64, Pit group 58, and poor Mewtwo group only has 23 dedicated souls. (Marth is another suprise popular character, btw, definitely more popular than pikachu. But again, more common on the mid/low level, and pretty much non-existant at the top level).

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'd pick Sheik as secondary, in order to better understand how that character works. It's easier to know how to take a character apart if you've had a chance to play as that character, at least imo. Since Sheik is the best in the game, and you're pretty likely to run into a lot of them, she'd be a good alternate character to know well.

uair is actually a better combo-breaking aerial than nair, since uair's hitbox comes out 1 frame sooner (frame 5 vs 6), a small difference, but is useful to know.

As for how many people will know the Roy MU...I agree that high level Roys will probably be rare, but I think Roy is one of the more common characters at mid/low level, so I think a lot of people will have at least a basic idea of Roy's kit and gameplan. He's pretty popular, not unlike Falcon. To give you a rough idea of how popular he is, the Roy skype group has 94 people (that have actually posted in the group at least once in the last month as of about a week or two ago, the time of the last inacitves purge), down from the whopping 170+ people that were in the group at the height of the hype period during the first week (man, first week was awful. Thankfully the group has settled down now that the band-wagoners are all gone). To compare, Marth group has 82 people, Pika group 64, Pit group 58, and poor Mewtwo group only has 23 dedicated souls. (Marth is another suprise popular character, btw, definitely more popular than pikachu. But again, more common on the mid/low level, and pretty much non-existant at the top level).
I was in that group but haven't been on Skype since May or something lol. I'll try to get back on there in November. I don't like the Skype mobile app. Discord seems a lot smoother and lighter.
Also, of the character Skype groups I have, Roy had the most people.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I was in that group but haven't been on Skype since May or something lol. I'll try to get back on there in November. I don't like the Skype mobile app. Discord seems a lot smoother and lighter.
Also, of the character Skype groups I have, Roy had the most people.
You might've been kicked for inactivity in that case lol. People that never posted any comments were removed from the group to reduce skype lag for those that're active. If that happened, no worries, you're still welcome back. The last message you should see in the group will have a rejoin link, and if that doesn't work, pm me or send me a skype contact request (my skype name is engardevoir), and I'll readd you pronto.

The question of whether or not we should migrate to discord just came up yesterday, and we did a poll in the group to see if people would be interested in migrating. Right now, the group seems to be split 50-50 on whether we should migrate or not. Which means, to me at least, that the group definitely isn't ready to migrate, because 50-50 means we'd leaving roughly half our members behind. :( So, we're shelving the discussion on switching to discord for a little while longer while the app matures a bit more lol.

Straw Poll Results.png

Top Bottom