• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
its been awhile guys what is up. Finally got a decent layout for streaming smash now. Only netplay of course. also gonna start working on streaming some Terraria since i love that game so much.maybe i should make a character who looks like Roy and try and get armour based around Roy

its been awhile guys what is up. Finally got a decent layout for streaming smash now. Only netplay of course. also gonna start working on streaming some Terraria since i love that game so much.maybe i should make a character who looks like Roy and try and get armour based around Roy
My Terraria character is BlkPrisonSaiyan.

I wanted to make a black super saiyan for whatever reason after I saw a bit of the default randomized character preview and ended up with a prison outfit when trying to give him Goku robes.

His whole backstory and starting out with a bronze sword involves it being a prison shank before his escape to the wilderness and becoming a fugitive, having to start over from scratch.

I just play at a buddy's on his PS4 with co-op whenever I'm over.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
My Terraria character is BlkPrisonSaiyan.

I wanted to make a black super saiyan for whatever reason after I saw a bit of the default randomized character preview and ended up with a prison outfit when trying to give him Goku robes.

His whole backstory and starting out with a bronze sword involves it being a prison shank before his escape to the wilderness and becoming a fugitive, having to start over from scratch.

I just play at a buddy's on his PS4 with co-op whenever I'm over.
Ew console Terraria. Nah i play Pc version since 1.3 just came out. It got me back into it again and its super awesome.

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
I plan to use both Roy and Robin at an upcoming event on the 22nd. I have a few questions, any and all answers and opinions would be appreciated.
  • What stages are best for Roy?
  • What stages are best for Robin?
  • What are Roy's 5 best matchups?
  • What are Roy's 5 worst matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 best matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 worst matchups?
  • What would you do for a Klondike bar?
  • Any habits an opponent will develop facing one that I might be able to take advantage of with the other?
:4feroy::4robinm:

What do you guys think?
Hi Mason,

I will try to reply your post based on mi little experience on playing Roy in this game. First of all, I wanna you to know that I only play Roy five times I believe —actually I only play Smash 4 like... less than 30 times for sure—. As I said in my presentation, I haven't a Wii U nor a 3DS, so yeah, I play when I can. Anyway, I wanna share some thoughts about Roy, matchups and stages.

First of all I wanna talk about his playstyle. I think the best way to play Roy is a agressive-pasive way. I get good results playing close to the oponents and cover myself with the shield or just standing there, and wait for the oponent reaction. If he roll, punish that; if he jump, go after him to keep the pressure; if he attack you, shield grab... and so on. People just get nervious having a Roy in their ass, and it's a normal reaction. Roy is pretty scary. Sadly I cannot offer you info or advices against campers chars, because I didn't know that matchups, but I guess that that tactic could work, but it will be more difficult.

Another thing you should notice asap is if the openent tech the Fthrows or no. If they doesn't, I think Fthrow to Dash Attack will hit at almost every percentage, and Dash could kill easy around 130% or even less. If they tech, I think the better option to follow up a Fthrow is a SH Nair. Nair will raise the oponent in the air and you can follow it with another Nair. Pretty good option.

About his MUs, I cannot say to much. I only will say that have a decent MU against Rosalina. I play A LOT against Rosalina and it may be around 50:50, even with a little advantage for Roy I must say. She is very light, and Roy hits pretty hard. With rage, you can kill her with 40% if you Fsmashed her close to the ledge. Anyway, you must be aware of some things. She can gimp you easyly, but with a little of practice you will learn how to dodge it —try to not go too deep, Rosalina's Dair kill you at 30% if you are without jump—. Use the Upb horizontal, or trying to hit Rosalina in the process —but not from below, ofc, because her Dair will hit you before your sword hit her—. Another thing that Rosalina has are the Uair chains. She will kill you at 50% if you get hit twice in a row. Dodge them could be hard —very hard tbh—, so try to jump and go horizontal as much as you can. Reverse Sideb could be usefull in this scenario. Maybe you will be hit by a Bair or a Fair, but everything is better than two Uairs.

A MUs that was difficult for me was Toon Link. His spam is very good, and can zone you very much. Use the high Roy's speed to keep close the him, and try to not get hit too much in the process. Once you are close, you can hit in his face a few times before he runs away again. And if he stay and fights you, keep in mind that you probably will win that fight.

About the stages, I feel very confortable in Lylat and Smashville. Plataforms are goods for Roy, but I think that not too much as for other chars. Actually, against Rosalina I recomend to pick Final Destination. No plataforms = no Uair chain = one thing about not worrying. Try to avoid Battlefield, Town & City and Dreamland if you are playing against Rosalina in general, she will get a lot more of these stages than you do. Duck Hunt is a decent stage for Roy as well, but you sould avoid that if the enemy has a good gimp option —like Sheik's Fair or Downb, for example—.

I don't know what more to say. I'm probably missing something, but I still hope that my experience helps you :)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
So Roy boyz, how does it feel maining Roy? You'd have to be... up close and stabby, right? Y'know, since his... sword is stronger at it's... uh... base.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
So Roy boyz, how does it feel maining Roy? You'd have to be... up close and stabby, right? Y'know, since his... sword is stronger at it's... uh... base.

And it's always ON FIRE

Why is nobody straight up saying you need to keep the shaft inside them at all times and explode inside and all over them as many times as possible, until they can't physically take it anymore? Roy's in heat too much for his opponents.

Also what's with all these people viewing the thread? I thought the Roy boards were dead after the DLC bandwagon.

Last edited:

Nameless Nothingness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
pinkpallin
3DS FC
3995-6837-1215
Hi Roy...
*sees ON PH1R3*
Bye Roy mains.
Btw I'm a tactician from Robin Social. See 'ya.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Why is nobody straight up saying you need to keep the shaft inside them at all times and explode inside and all over them as many times as possible, until they can't physically take it anymore? Roy's in heat too much for his opponents.

Also what's with all these people viewing the thread? I thought the Roy boards were dead after the DLC bandwagon.
Roy always has spring fever. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also, the boards aren't dead! People just... um... They disappeared! Yeah, I bet someone kidnapped them. We must find the culprit!

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Also, the boards aren't dead! People just... um... They disappeared! Yeah, I bet someone kidnapped them. We must find the culprit!
What if :4feroy: and hold them host in a room with a computer that only has the Roy Social on the screen?

But does he have jungle fever? An Oprah Winfrey Mii x Roy? This ship being netorare against Josh from Drake and Josh? A romantic drama about to unfold? There are no black or even dark-skinned women in Smash, should we push for Disney's Pocahontas or Princess Jasmin for DLC? Roy Social Justice? Isn't there a black princess from one movie? I forgot, I haven't paid attention to Disney in over a decade.

You guys should watch Markyjoe's Ragefest 4 and how it's going so far. He plays Fire Emblem romhacks specifically made to frustrate him with silly commentary. It's gonna be the best one so far.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
There is one thing that confuses me, though: why is Aversa listed on charactes that are good all over?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
And it's always ON FIRE

Oh like sigurd
(seriously go play FE4)
Hi Roy...
*sees ON PH1R3*
Bye Roy mains.
Btw I'm a tactician from Robin Social. See 'ya.
hi, oh... roll the music
we will remember you trusted friend... what was his name again?
tumblr_nqb7fdjO3V1sij129o1_1280.jpg

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
The time were we had a lot of people viewing the thread is when some regulars from the Robin social came for a visit...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I'll do both. Still kinda sad lol

Prepare yourself! :4myfriends:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone I am happy to say that when I went to a con last week I was maining Roy kicking many people's butts at the con and also defeated my friend who only Mains his OP Ike tho he wants a rematch we sadly didn't have time but Im glad to see my Melee Main back ... I went to the Con to street pass my Geno 4 smash mii message but I was pretty much undefeatable at the con as roy red and gold roy looks the best anyway have a great all of you :D

We all know Zephiel Roy is the best palette swap.
Eliwood let Zephiel live, though.

There's a bunch of Eliwood haters dating back to like 2010 or so who blame Eliwood for Zephiel and are like "ELIWOOD CAUSED ALL THE EVIL WHY DIDN'T HE KILL ZEPHIEL WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE" and I laugh uncontrollably now that I think of how out of character it would have been with Eliwood just donning the angry face and shanking Zephiel then and there.

I have a vivid scene of it that plays every time. "WHY DIDN'T ELIWOOD KILL ZEPHIEL WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE?!" Encyclopedia Dramatica's Fire Emblem section is pretty amusing on it.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Eliwood let Zephiel live, though.

There's a bunch of Eliwood haters dating back to like 2010 or so who blame Eliwood for Zephiel and are like "ELIWOOD CAUSED ALL THE EVIL WHY DIDN'T HE KILL ZEPHIEL WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE" and I laugh uncontrollably now that I think of how out of character it would have been with Eliwood just donning the angry face and shanking Zephiel then and there.

I have a vivid scene of it that plays every time. "WHY DIDN'T ELIWOOD KILL ZEPHIEL WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE?!" Encyclopedia Dramatica's Fire Emblem section is pretty amusing on it.
I really like Eliwood just saying X3

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What I never understood is how come Hector dies before Eliwood? I mean yeah, Hector was against Bern's army but Eliwood was very ill in FE6. You'd think someone would sneak around and assassinate him while Roy's gone to war (plus other important figures/kingdoms got betrayed and killed, so there was probably a lot of chaos).

Eliwood obviously faked his illness and protected his castle from ninja assassins. He sent Roy off to lead the army and save Elibe to prove that he's worthy enough to inherit the throne. :upsidedown:

What I never understood is how come Hector dies before Eliwood? I mean yeah, Hector was against Bern's army but Eliwood was very ill in FE6. You'd think someone would sneak around and assassinate him while Roy's gone to war (plus other important figures/kingdoms got betrayed and killed, so there was probably a lot of chaos).

Eliwood obviously faked his illness and protected his castle from ninja assassins. He sent Roy off to lead the army and save Elibe to prove that he's worthy enough to inherit the throne. :upsidedown:
Eliwood is the only nobleman in one scene of the manga who goes onto the battlefield. While probably ill. Too slick, has too big a **** to die,

The best.

http://s221.photobucket.com/user/orange_rules/media/Eliwood.jpg.html

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Why am I the only person who likes the red palette swap? It's the friggin' enemy color in Fire Emblem! Why does everybody use the gold one?!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
He posted it already in the thread a few weeks before if I can remember.^^ He is on Smashboards I think.

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
He posted it already in the thread a few weeks before if I can remember.^^ He is on Smashboards I think.
Oh, I didn't see that. Sorry for post it again.

Anyway, Kevandre, if you're reading me: dude, your work is stunning. Keep working \o/

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ok, so to-do list:

- Stage analysis guide. Maybe stickied?
- General combo thread OP updated/spreadsheet. Maybe stickied? (pastebin completed)
- Video & Critique thread vids gathered (done for guides and combo vids)

For the combo pastebin, I just went through various threads and gathered what I found and put everything in a pastebin for now. Some of these are true combos, some are not but credit goes to whoever found them. So anyone can do whatever they want with it I guess. I was bored anyway... Oh, and I found this spreadsheet on combos if people are curious: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWUZOu2QGiuON7UMGFg0XpduGreJyNiXSgyTyWuJ5cQ/edit#gid=0

Btw, we're getting an update this Friday. If it's not too early, maybe Roy will get some buffs? :chuckle: But more importantly, RECORD ANY REPLAYS YOU WANT SAVED!! That is all.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen this before but it's adorable and everyone should be blessed by how adorable it is.

http://mewkwota.deviantart.com/art/Rawr-251780899
Too cute.

This is pretty adorable as well:

Rawr~

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
Ok, so to-do list:

- Stage analysis guide. Maybe stickied?
- General combo thread OP updated/spreadsheet. Maybe stickied? (pastebin completed)
- Video & Critique thread vids gathered (done for guides and combo vids)

For the combo pastebin, I just went through various threads and gathered what I found and put everything in a pastebin for now. Some of these are true combos, some are not but credit goes to whoever found them. So anyone can do whatever they want with it I guess. I was bored anyway... Oh, and I found this spreadsheet on combos if people are curious: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWUZOu2QGiuON7UMGFg0XpduGreJyNiXSgyTyWuJ5cQ/edit#gid=0

Btw, we're getting an update this Friday. If it's not too early, maybe Roy will get some buffs? :chuckle: But more importantly, RECORD ANY REPLAYS YOU WANT SAVED!! That is all.

Too cute.

This is pretty adorable as well:

Rawr~
Keep in mind that Fthrow > Dash attack is true only if the oponent miss the tech (;

Nice list tho, but I don't understand the red and green colors of the spreadsheet.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I just copied + pasted everything that different people posted, so we might have to look through some things.

I'm not the one who made the spreadsheet, so unfortunately I'm not sure what the different colours mean.

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I know, I'm just saying it hoping that someone understand the colors and can explain them to us xD

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'll ask in the combo thread. Plus it would be nice to see the OP updated so people could have a resource.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Top Bottom