• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
At first I was like "meh" to the thought of Rosalina x Roy. But I thought about for a bit... and now I don't mind it. I associate Rosalina with the galaxy and stars and stuff and Roy's title is "The Young Lion", in which Leo is a constellation. Also, my favourite verses in Ulalume (one of my fave poems by Edgar Allan Poe) are:

And now, as the night was senescent
And star-dials pointed to morn—
As the star-dials hinted of morn—​
At the end of our path a liquescent
And nebulous lustre was born,​
Out of which a miraculous crescent
Arose with a duplicate horn—​
Astarte's bediamonded crescent
Distinct with its duplicate horn.​

And I said—"She is warmer than Dian:
She rolls through an ether of sighs—
She revels in a region of sighs:​
She has seen that the tears are not dry on
These cheeks, where the worm never dies,​
And has come past the stars of the Lion
To point us the path to the skies—
To the Lethean peace of the skies—​
Come up, in despite of the Lion,
To shine on us with her bright eyes—​
Come up through the lair of the Lion,
With love in her luminous eyes."​

It's all very cosmic.

Also, coincidentally, I made this pic yesterday at like 3 AM

Hmm

I should stop making these random connections

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
At first I was like "meh" to the thought of Rosalina x Roy. But I thought about for a bit... and now I don't mind it. I associate Rosalina with the galaxy and stars and stuff and Roy's title is "The Young Lion", in which Leo is a constellation. Also, my favourite verses in Ulalume (one of my fave poems by Edgar Allan Poe) are:

And now, as the night was senescent
And star-dials pointed to morn—
As the star-dials hinted of morn—​
At the end of our path a liquescent
And nebulous lustre was born,​
Out of which a miraculous crescent
Arose with a duplicate horn—​
Astarte's bediamonded crescent
Distinct with its duplicate horn.​

And I said—"She is warmer than Dian:
She rolls through an ether of sighs—
She revels in a region of sighs:​
She has seen that the tears are not dry on
These cheeks, where the worm never dies,​
And has come past the stars of the Lion
To point us the path to the skies—
To the Lethean peace of the skies—​
Come up, in despite of the Lion,
To shine on us with her bright eyes—​
Come up through the lair of the Lion,
With love in her luminous eyes."​

It's all very cosmic.

Also, coincidentally, I made this pic yesterday at like 3 AM

Hmm

I should stop making these random connections
I'll give you the rights XD

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If you want me to write a fanfic, there's a flat fee of $20. In addition, I charge $5 per word.

On second thought, it's better I don't write anything since all my stories somehow go unfinished at some point. RIP me.

AHHHHH!~

He even has the Shield of Seals

Also, prototype Shiida and some other figures:

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
ok beat chapter 22 of Thracia
I'm never playing that chapter again unless someone's life depends on it.
it's hell
the glory of chp 22.png

D

Deleted member

it's hell
I almost feel like crying just by looking at that map.
How long did it take you to finally finish it? o.o

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I almost feel like crying just by looking at that map.
How long did it take you to finally finish it? o.o
I think it was 2 hours of execution and 1.5 hours of planing/prep

5 map restarts with in 5 turns. (I needed a thief staff to hit and forgot a piece of equipment or two)
3 map restart by death caused from ballistae
2 map restarts by death caused from reinforcements
12 restarts caused by rinehart von ***hole
I was surprised I didn't die on the bridges more, it was kind of the iffy part in my strategy. I also used a save point after the starting ballistae as the part was really binary as soon as I got my strategy down for it.

By the time I was done I think I had it completed between 30-40 turns, which is pretty good timing.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
it's hell
wut, I guess now I know what a "Kaizo Fire Emblem" would look like, I won't even need fan hacks :urg:

I plan to use both Roy and Robin at an upcoming event on the 22nd. I have a few questions, any and all answers and opinions would be appreciated.
  • What stages are best for Roy?
  • What stages are best for Robin?
  • What are Roy's 5 best matchups?
  • What are Roy's 5 worst matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 best matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 worst matchups?
  • What would you do for a Klondike bar?
  • Any habits an opponent will develop facing one that I might be able to take advantage of with the other?
:4feroy::4robinm:

What do you guys think?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
We ought to create a thread dealing with the best stages for Roy, and those that he might struggle on. I know for myself,
transformation stages give me trouble. Stages with small blast zones can help get early kills (cheap Fsmash kills from stages with small horizontal zones or walk-offs for example), but always keep in mind who your opponent is as well. Then we have platforms, which some of Roy's grounded moves can go through. Like, off the top of my head, on Battlefield his Utilt, all upward swings of DED can go through the bottom platforms. On T&C, when there's the 3 platforms, from the ground Roy cannot double jump to the middle platform when it's at max height (Marth can as a comparison). Idk, it's just these small things that I always take into account. I'm not very good at dealing with platform stages yet since I always get platformed camped, but it just comes with practice.

I'm just mostly theorycrafting here, so feel free to disagree. As for Robin, this is a really great stage guide: http://smashboards.com/threads/survey-the-battlefield-robin-stage-tactics.384602/

Oh yeah, when Delfino does its ceiling shenanigans, Roy can OHKO reverse Blazer Jiggs from the top platform (can work when they're both at 0%).

Last edited:
As a rough draft, I think:

FD: Bad
BF/Miiverse/Dreamland: Good
Delfino: Good on half the transformations, bad on others. Manageable.
Castle Siege: Bad. First transformation is good or okay, others are bad. Statue one seems horrible no matter what for Roy, the lava cave could be even or a slight disadvantage if it's not really bad.
Skyloft: Mostly good, I think some transformations are even. I don't have anything bad to say about it for Roy.
Halberd: People try to counterpick this one on me, but I think it's one of Roy's best stages or his best. There's so much going for Roy on this stage that it's crazy, I'd call it his best.
Lylat: Ok or good
Smashville, T&C: Depends on MU. Seems mostly good or even. T&C seems better for Roy.
Duck Hunt: Bad. Horizontal blastzones can be used to your advantage for less chance of being gimped and easy horizontal kills, but everything else seems just bad.
Wuhuhuhu: Okay or good
Onett: 105/-5 MU's in your favor no matter what.

I don't think I have it in me to make a guide near as good as the Robin one, but it could come with experience, and it doesn't hut to try.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I don't have much experience to create a stage guide myself, but if I did I'd definitely add pictures and tidbits about the stages (like what moves Roy has that can go through bottom platforms, blastzone sizes, gimmicks, etc., etc.), and thoughts from other players. Collaboration? We should test some stages out in the future. :grin:

Is FD really that bad? With Roy's speed he can pressure opponents who are slower than him well, but I guess some other characters excel on FD more like Sheik (especially Omega stages with walls cuz wall cling/wall jump option) and Sonic, or projectile heavy ones might be harder to deal with.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I think there is a combo thread... or at least various threads talking about Roy's combos, follow-ups, and what he could do. Check out the thread that Moydow posted, or guides like this one, or this one.

I remember coming across a spreadsheet about combos and at what % works with certain characters and whatnot... I should see if I could dig it up.

Edit: My bad, it was a pastebin about Roy's Bair lock % (dunno why I thought it was about combo %s). Eh, I guess it's still useful to know if the data is accurate: http://pastebin.com/LeYY8njx Iirc, the lock works until the opponent is over 25%.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Holy......dancing kremling on a bycicle while siging the Sailor Moon song on underwear....

The fact that Tharcia 776 is ChronoBound's favorite Fire Emblem game (I think...) makes me wonder if he's a Mega Ultra Skilled Player that has beated the Game over 20 times. Would you beat Fire Emblem 776 just for a Klondike bar?

I just popped here to say hi again.
Remember, always use the PHIR3!!!:roymelee::roypm::4feroy:

Blue_Edge

Smash Rookie
No, that one true combo thread won't do it. All the contributions are scattered all over the place on individual posts rather than added over time to the OP. I suggest we do something like that and sticky it. It would be so helpful, I hope someone takes the time to do it.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Holy......dancing kremling on a bycicle while siging the Sailor Moon song on underwear....

The fact that Tharcia 776 is ChronoBound's favorite Fire Emblem game (I think...) makes me wonder if he's a Mega Ultra Skilled Player that has beated the Game over 20 times. Would you beat Fire Emblem 776 just for a Klondike bar?

there are a lot of redeeming factors for the difficulty though, it has the best escape chapters (no really as painful as they are, they have some amazing variety and depth), capture system is not only unique it also blends in with the gameplay rather well, utility units are often times incredibly unique to the series and it introduced the survive chapters (chapter 14 is rather infamous) not the kill a bunch of dudes for x turns. Also if you enjoy playing as the kid who's been through some **** leif go through a lot. The story and characters are fantastic, like the game is awesome, but really elite mode needs to be an option from the start and not as some password

also hi, here's a fae fa
1369693.jpg

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
There should also be a combo spreadsheet with %s as well I'd make one if I knew what the heck I'm doing. I could go back and gather everything and dump it all on pastebin, then maybe someone could use the data to make a spreadsheet? Hm, actually, I'll see what I can do...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH COMBO

"This one's for EVO, watch out Mango!!"

*yolo Knees off stage*

Lol.

Also seeing the F-Zero gameplay makes me wish there's one for Wii U or something. :c I need to see my sexy Beastman and Hyper Speeder again.

Last edited:

it's his fav tied with FE6 but I've been the same way since around summer of 2013. I've beaten it once (maybe twice, can't recall) with a file in the middle of a run now. I should pick that file up for a bit before I start my new job Wed. So glad I'm leaving my old one for good, things have been getting too rough in quite a few areas for far too long now.

"This one's for EVO, watch out Mango!!"

*yolo Knees off stage*
"OWH NAWHO... well I guess that's it for now :p"

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hello Roy's. I am Unknown Hero. I am here from the Robin Thread. Just thought I would pop by to see what things are like.

Anyway, how are you all on this wonderful day? :)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ohh hey, a visitor! :O

Sup?

Also, I feel like creating a to-do list of stuff that should be completed:

- Stage analysis guide. Maybe stickied?
- General combo thread OP updated/spreadsheet. Maybe stickied?
- Video & Critique thread should start to archive vids once there's a lot of vids (like when it gets to page 2? Or even now since there's a good amount in case you don't want things to get piled up later on). There's also some vids posted in the tourney representation thread which can probably be added as well, as well as guides and combo vids.
(feel free to suggest anything important that's missing)

These don't necessarily have to be completed right now, especially for like the stage guide since Roy's still fairly new and a lot may not have much experience with him. Just something to keep in mind for the future. Again, I'll see what I can do about the combo spreadsheet/pastebin but probably tomorrow since it's 2:20 am here and for some reason my wifi is so laggy during the night.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
  • What stages are best for Robin?
  • What are Roy's 5 worst matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 worst matchups?
  • Any habits an opponent will develop facing one that I might be able to take advantage of with the other?
:4feroy::4robinm:

What do you guys think?
is it time to be a jerk while answering questions?

• ones with out :4sheik:
  • :4sheik::4luigi:(:rosalina: custom bull****) all I can think of
  • the standard group of characters with quick options and are good all over
    • :4sheik:
    • :4mario:
    • :4falcon:
    • :4pikachu:
    • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • listen to country music
  • air dodges after throw :4feroy:, dash grab on reaction to elfire :4robinm:
  • I tried to think, but then I remembered awakening and got disappointed
Hello Roy's. I am Unknown Hero. I am here from the Robin Thread. Just thought I would pop by to see what things are like.

Anyway, how are you all on this wonderful day? :)
hi
I feel like I know you, Whatever, roll the music
I AM WHAT I AM.
so what are you

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I AM THAT IS

MY SWORD SHALL WIELD FOR ME

I made it even better!

Last edited:
is it time to be a jerk while answering questions?

• ones with out :4sheik:
  • :4sheik::4luigi:(:rosalina: custom bull****) all I can think of
  • the standard group of characters with quick options and are good all over
    • :4sheik:
    • :4mario:
    • :4falcon:
    • :4pikachu:
    • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • listen to country music
  • air dodges after throw :4feroy:, dash grab on reaction to elfire :4robinm:
  • I tried to think, but then I remembered awakening and got disappointed
hi
I feel like I know you, Whatever, roll the music

so what are you
Here is some quality country:

I can use Roy to beat Awakening ***s and Robin to beat GBA ***s. There is one thing that confuses me, though: why is Aversa listed on charactes that are good all over? At least Robin only has four viables to worry about. Btw I'm

Top Bottom