• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I know this is the Roy thread, so I expect some bias, but who is your favorite FE character to play as in Smash?

I personally hope Roy becomes my favorite FE character in Smash 4, mainly because Marth is just so much harder to play as compared to previous installments. However, my feeling of resentment come from online matches and 3DS controls, which could be just bad experiences. Lucina just doesn't cut it for me, with Marth and Roy, you are locking yourself into a certain playstyle which feels extremely rewarding when you hit that sweetspot. With Lucina, I just don't have that rewarding feeling.

Ike, I am actually decent with him, same with Robin, however, both require extreme concentration from me and I actually have to exclusively train as either one of these two FE characters to play very well with them. I blame my poor Robin skills due to my time as Link, I try to play like Link when I should play as Robin. Ike just requires more concentration from me, and my dodge, shielding, reads, etc.

I currently think Marth is my favorite FE character in Smash, but it could just be that I love the Ken Combo, which I know is possible as Roy, well at least the satisfying Dair is possible, don't quote me on Roy Ken Combo please.

What about you guys?
My favorite fire emblem character in the whole Super Smash Bros. series is Roy. I never mained him when I had Melee twice since I played Yoshi and Dr. Mario too much, but if I had Melee again, I would main Roy. I never disliked the character.

One of the first things I did when I unlocked him was spamming his Flare Blade and his Blazer, to a lesser extent. His voice and his fiery sword really made me like him a lot more than I did Marth.

I really want to see what Roy will look like in SSB4's graphics and visuals and what moves he'll have when he does get an announcement trailer. Hopefully, he gets announced at E3 and has a luigified moveset.

I think my post hit popular posts with the massive influx of Yeah!'s overnight. Let's break the 100 club, shall we? Then we can work from there.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkHAzRomg

I like Ike! Ike was a fine replacement for Roy in Brawl. He was my main in it. I use him in Brawl, PM, and Smash 4. He's pretty cool. At first I wasn't feeling Ike in Smash 4 for some reason. He felt different than his Brawl counterpart. But I got into him again and now he's one of my secondaries. It seems his popularity since Brawl died down. I remember those days and everyone thought he was OP. Or basically like Brawl's "Little Mac". People said that he needed no skill to be used because he's too strong. But I say hell to them because I loved him in Brawl. He's a great character.
I remember those days, too. Funny thing is, I've always argued that Ike requires smart, precise spacing/reads/moveset and character knowledge to make viable, he has a high learning curve. I always thought he was viable against the entire cast sans (get it, because @san. who I still need to play) Meta Knight, his most recent Brawl matchup chart supports this as well. He doesn't seem to have any major checks now besides Sheik, who keeps getting toned down, and I never had trouble in the Sheik MU even when I eat her combos/strings like a buffet. I do think Ike tops the noob tier list :laugh:

which is:

#1: Kirby for "overpowered" copy ability and when spamming stone
#2: Pikachu when spamming Thunder
#3: Ike when charging smashes over and over
#4: Toon Link when spamming down air and/or projectiles
#5: Meta Knight because he's "banned from all smash tournaments in the world" and "overpowered" and these same players say his moves are "too weak", he's "overrated", and "he can't kill" at the same time. That's why he's spot five.
This list works for SM4SH, just cut out #5 and throw Diddy and/or ZSS somewhere in the top 5, and cut Ike out.

I almost forgot those kinds of players exist, when they used to be my primary exposure to Smash, but I'm always reminded how many there are when I play other students (high school or college) on a campus or when I checked out the Brawl tournaments one of the churches here held a while back.

I think Ike has the tools to go toe-to-toe with pretty much the entire cast well in this game. Especially with custom specials. His custom specials are unbelievably good.

But can you do this?

Aethercide is easy, and Aether jank on the ledge is also easy with the magnetic ledges. I tend to get the latter on Battlefield most, but I don't think the stage has anything to do with it even with the weird Battlefield glitches I've seen, like Falcon side b'ing through Battlefield itself. He is Mac's interdimensional doppelganger. I also have a lot of stage-specific Aethercide or Aether jank on the Animal Crossing stages.

Uhhhh. I didn't find him a good Royplacement as they played nothing alike. That said he was fun but I'd rather have Roy. Dont get me wrong tho, i love Ike
Agreed, Ike and Roy play practically nothing alike.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Thought you guys might like this.

I don't even drink Coke but I just couldn't resist. It's going to be my victory drink the day Roy comes back.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ royalblue royalblue did you personalize the bottle? I'm tempted to do the same, it's an awesome idea... except maybe call it "Our boy Roy" or maybe "Marth & Roy" (lol) or something totally worth the money.

Troykv

Smash Master
I know this is the Roy thread, so I expect some bias, but who is your favorite FE character to play as in Smash?

I personally hope Roy becomes my favorite FE character in Smash 4, mainly because Marth is just so much harder to play as compared to previous installments. However, my feeling of resentment come from online matches and 3DS controls, which could be just bad experiences. Lucina just doesn't cut it for me, with Marth and Roy, you are locking yourself into a certain playstyle which feels extremely rewarding when you hit that sweetspot. With Lucina, I just don't have that rewarding feeling.

Ike, I am actually decent with him, same with Robin, however, both require extreme concentration from me and I actually have to exclusively train as either one of these two FE characters to play very well with them. I blame my poor Robin skills due to my time as Link, I try to play like Link when I should play as Robin. Ike just requires more concentration from me, and my dodge, shielding, reads, etc.

I currently think Marth is my favorite FE character in Smash, but it could just be that I love the Ken Combo, which I know is possible as Roy, well at least the satisfying Dair is possible, don't quote me on Roy Ken Combo please.

What about you guys?
I'm mainly a Roy and Marth User... but actually I like use any FE character (well... I find Lucina redundant, but still use her some times... but less than the others).

royalblue

Smash Cadet
@ royalblue royalblue did you personalize the bottle? I'm tempted to do the same, it's an awesome idea... except maybe call it "Our boy Roy" or maybe "Marth & Roy" (lol) or something totally worth the money.
Nope, I actually found it for sale at my work. And I feel extremely lucky, since apparently there are 1,000 different names being printed on the Coke bottles. It was meant to be!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Nope, I actually found it for sale at my work. And I feel extremely lucky, since apparently there are 1,000 different names being printed on the Coke bottles. It was meant to be!
Wow, that is super lucky... Hopefully it's a good sign! lol

I might still personalize one, I totally forgot about Share a Coke. Probably will never drink it though, it since I'm not fond of coke nor soft drinks lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember seeing those kind of Coca-Cola bottles at my college some time ago. I wonder if they had any Roy-labeled Coke bottles there.

Maybe Coca-Cola secretly supports Roy's return in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Actually, there's probably a lot more people who are Roy supporters that posted in this thread. I only started the supporter's list shortly after I took ownership of the thread, which was like... near the end of last year? Thing is, unlike newcomers, vets (including all cuts) didn't have OPs originally, so I'm sure over the years people have shown their support for Roy but are unrecorded. However, that's going to require looking back at all the past pages, and I'd rather get a person's permission first if I'm going to put them on the list. I just think it's common courtesy, dunno what you peeps think

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord

I don't even drink Coke but I just couldn't resist. It's going to be my victory drink the day Roy comes back.
This is the best thing I've ever seen.

Roy when his Flare Blade is nearing full charge.

I remember me and my friends used to spam fully charged Flare Blade all the time. Those were the days.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I made some more fan art, this time it's a little comic about how Roy is treated in the Smash community. As you can imagine, it isn't very nice. But not to worry, he has a friend!

Hope you guys like it!

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I made some more fan art, this time it's a little comic about how Roy is treated in the Smash community. As you can imagine, it isn't very nice. But not to worry, he has a friend!

Hope you guys like it!
Somebody posted something similar on a Pichu support thread. (that said, Daisy may knock some sense into Peach if she gets in)

Roy when his Flare Blade is nearing full charge.

... DEAR GOD! Now I'm happy I'm maining Lucina for "favorite FE" rep (although I still want Roy... badly)

... Now all I need is "Share a Coke with Daisy", and I'm set for the "Share a Coke with" drinks that uses character names that belongs to characters I support (And if I find both, they'll be my victory drinks if both gets in Smash 4 as DLCs).

Also, ADD ME TO THE SUPPORT LIST!
I have FIVE characters I want to see as DLCs the most: Princess Daisy, Viridi, Prince Fluff, :pichumelee: and :roymelee:
I'M GONNA SUPPORT ALL FIVE OF THEM!

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkHjrSRzA

Here is an awesome post from one of our Facebook members. Purple clashes hard on the Awakening outfit, but I still like it, and I wanted to boost this into popular posts.
Beautiful. It's always nice to see something positive that's Roy-related, which is actually more common than one might think on Miiverse!(thankfully...).
That quote also fits perfectly with my philosophy for Smash characters as well as what I'd wish the detractors followed through with...every character that was a veteran of Smash, including Roy, are immortalized in the series forever whether you like it or not and thus have fans too as well, they all deserve to come back :)

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
Uhhhh. I didn't find him a good Royplacement as they played nothing alike. That said he was fun but I'd rather have Roy. Dont get me wrong tho, i love Ike
Yeah I totally agree. I just mean "replaced" as in Ike essentially took Roy's place as an FE character. They play nothing alike and I would totally want Roy. Ike is fine though.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah I totally agree. I just mean "replaced" as in Ike essentially took Roy's place as an FE character. They play nothing alike and I would totally want Roy. Ike is fine though.
Well... yeah, is replaced in a certain way... Because priorities

Mewtwo still cry for be the only non-clone character cut in the franchise only for "Time things"

A Roy support post in the Fire Emblem: Awakening community, where it's much easier to boost posts into popular posts than Smash. Please Yeah! and comment to show support.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkHyaKdvA

EDIT: It seems like Miiverse is overwhelmingly positive about Roy now. 97-98% of my feedback on any given post is Yeah!'s or positive comments, while the rest is detractors commenting. I remember when Roy hate was so abundant that I was afraid to make Roy support posts. Now it's so easy to put the remaining few in their place and educate them, even the stubborn ones who don't show any signs of changing are put into too much of a losing position to truly take them seriously.

Last edited:

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Well... yeah, is replaced in a certain way... Because priorities

Mewtwo still cry for be the only non-clone character cut in the franchise only for "Time things"
Don't forget that the developers already added TWO new FE characters in Smash 4! (Lucina and Robin)
Also, if any of you want to know why I want Roy, then I'll just say the "Marth clone" set will be complete (Marth, Lucina, and Roy. Which is why I don't want a new moveset for him, and also why I want him with his Melee outfit).

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A Roy support post in the Fire Emblem: Awakening community, where it's much easier to boost posts into popular posts than Smash. Please Yeah! and comment to show support.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkHyaKdvA

EDIT: It seems like Miiverse is overwhelmingly positive about Roy now. 97-98% of my feedback on any given post is Yeah!'s or positive comments, while the rest is detractors commenting. I remember when Roy hate was so abundant that I was afraid to make Roy support posts. Now it's so easy to put the remaining few in their place and educate them, even the stubborn ones who don't show any signs of changing are put into too much of a losing position to truly take them seriously.
Hope there aren't bandwagoners now showing fake approval to Roy due the sound leak because this is quite nice development.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Don't forget that the developers already added TWO new FE characters in Smash 4! (Lucina and Robin)
Also, if any of you want to know why I want Roy, then I'll just say the "Marth clone" set will be complete (Marth, Lucina, and Roy. Which is why I don't want a new moveset for him, and also why I want him with his Melee outfit).
Dude, he needs the new moveset really badly. I mean really REALLY badly.

Were never going to hear the end of "he wasted a DLC spot" if he's not decloned. At least with Dark Pit, people knew that he didn't take anyone's place. With Roy, people will be on his case even after the DLC is done and we'll never hear the end of it from the haters.

Decloning Roy can be very similar to how Wolf acts in comparison to Fox. Just change up the majority of his A moves and make some of his specials different. In this case, Roy can still have his Melee neutral B seeing as it's not taken anymore, his counter being different from pretty much everyone in the game, his Blazer being different from Marth's Dolphin Slash, and throw in a new Side B.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Dude, he needs the new moveset really badly. I mean really REALLY badly.

Were never going to hear the end of "he wasted a DLC spot" if he's not decloned. At least with Dark Pit, people knew that he didn't take anyone's place. With Roy, people will be on his case even after the DLC is done and we'll never hear the end of it from the haters.
Actually, if he remains a clone, then he fundamentally took very little time and resources to make playable. It would be unlikely that the addition of a cloned Roy would take a spot away from another potential DLC character.

On the other hand, if he's revamped, then he most definitely took up time and resources that potentially could have gone to another DLC characters, and you'll still hear complaints that they wasted DLC on a fifth Fire Emblem character.

What I'm trying to say is that there's more than one way of looking at this, and that, frankly, you're going to see some people complaining no matter what the outcome is. :ohwell:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I think my post hit popular posts with the massive influx of Yeah!'s overnight. Let's break the 100 club, shall we? Then we can work from there.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkHAzRomg

I remember those days, too. Funny thing is, I've always argued that Ike requires smart, precise spacing/reads/moveset and character knowledge to make viable, he has a high learning curve. I always thought he was viable against the entire cast sans (get it, because @san. who I still need to play) Meta Knight, his most recent Brawl matchup chart supports this as well. He doesn't seem to have any major checks now besides Sheik, who keeps getting toned down, and I never had trouble in the Sheik MU even when I eat her combos/strings like a buffet. I do think Ike tops the noob tier list :laugh:

which is:

#1: Kirby for "overpowered" copy ability and when spamming stone
#2: Pikachu when spamming Thunder
#3: Ike when charging smashes over and over
#4: Toon Link when spamming down air and/or projectiles
#5: Meta Knight because he's "banned from all smash tournaments in the world" and "overpowered" and these same players say his moves are "too weak", he's "overrated", and "he can't kill" at the same time. That's why he's spot five.
This list works for SM4SH, just cut out #5 and throw Diddy and/or ZSS somewhere in the top 5, and cut Ike out.

I almost forgot those kinds of players exist, when they used to be my primary exposure to Smash, but I'm always reminded how many there are when I play other students (high school or college) on a campus or when I checked out the Brawl tournaments one of the churches here held a while back.

I think Ike has the tools to go toe-to-toe with pretty much the entire cast well in this game. Especially with custom specials. His custom specials are unbelievably good.

Aethercide is easy, and Aether jank on the ledge is also easy with the magnetic ledges. I tend to get the latter on Battlefield most, but I don't think the stage has anything to do with it even with the weird Battlefield glitches I've seen, like Falcon side b'ing through Battlefield itself. He is Mac's interdimensional doppelganger. I also have a lot of stage-specific Aethercide or Aether jank on the Animal Crossing stages.

Agreed, Ike and Roy play practically nothing alike.
In that video you did a nice Eruption KO and had good spacing, but some of your options could have been more optimal. For example in that last part where you dropped down the platform you could have used Bair. You should really play San so you can improve your combo/set-up game. The rest you already do pretty well. Well played.

I think the smash CEO trailer could be out at E3 if it includes Roy and/or Ryu. Or maybe the next CEO trailer will tease an E3 announcement. Either way is pretty hype!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Actually, if he remains a clone, then he fundamentally took very little time and resources to make playable. It would be unlikely that the addition of a cloned Roy would take a spot away from another potential DLC character.

On the other hand, if he's revamped, then he most definitely took up time and resources that potentially could have gone to another DLC characters, and you'll still hear complaints that they wasted DLC on a fifth Fire Emblem character.

What I'm trying to say is that there's more than one way of looking at this, and that, frankly, you're going to see some people complaining no matter what the outcome is. :ohwell:
True but the majority of complaints when it comes to Roy are in regards to him being a "3rd Marth clone".

If Sakurai were to do something to the effect of what I said before (changing up most of his A attacks and revamping some of his specials), the hate for Roy will dramatically be reduced because they know that he's a unique character that hardly plays anything like Marth/Lucina.

Sure, theirs always going to be haters for Roy because of stupid reasons like "too many FE characters" or "not muh Hector" but that's still a good 70-80% of haters that would cease their hating should Roy not be a Marth clone. The other 20-30% I couldn't care less about because they always want to find something about Roy to moan and complain about.

I just made my own contribution to Roy's Miiverse art. Please Yeah!, comment at least once on this in Miiverse, and spread this around everywhere you guys can. I'd like to see it become as successful as possible, so that Nintendo may take notice.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkH18HMgg

A declone would be the best option, since most of the people who say "third Marth" or "third Marth clone" (these people combine third Marth and clone and make it seem like there's someone between Roy and Lucina :glare:) genuinely would like Roy more if he didn't come back a clone. I've talked to people who were indifferent on or didn't want him and most of them said they would prefer him to be decloned if he returns. I do know of some people who hide behind "third Marth" just because they want to improve the chances of their own DLC picks by individually picking on others, and I catch onto it just by talking to them or watching their behavior over time. I never understood this because you're better off boosting the chances for one pick one-hundred times against a selection of dozens or hundreds instead of hating on ten other picks ten times. Luckily, I can easily call these people out if they're cornered and whine about him being a waste of a slot, because the research I've done to show he's a very worthy DLC pick more than justifies his "slot."

Personally I'm indifferent on his moveset because I'll git gud with him no matter what, and I moulded to him for his character loooooong ago. I just want whichever option will prevent this decade from being better than the last, where Roy was just "weaker Marth, there's no point in using him when Marth is objectively much better" that Lucina fans have to put up with now due to her being a direct clone, and "one of the worst Lords." I want Roy's reveal, reception, and general opinion over the next few years to be as positive as possible. That's why I push to see him decloned and to see anything (Virtual Console, remake, etc.) where he promotes a lot sooner, like Ch16, since that's his only major flaw besides the Sword of Seals belonging to an era where the best of the best in legendary weapons still had durability.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
True but the majority of complaints when it comes to Roy are in regards to him being a "3rd Marth clone".

If Sakurai were to do something to the effect of what I said before (changing up most of his A attacks and revamping some of his specials), the hate for Roy will dramatically be reduced because they know that he's a unique character that hardly plays anything like Marth/Lucina.

Sure, theirs always going to be haters for Roy because of stupid reasons like "too many FE characters" or "not muh Hector" but that's still a good 70-80% of haters that would cease their hating should Roy not be a Marth clone. The other 20-30% I couldn't care less about because they always want to find something about Roy to moan and complain about.
While that may be true, there's also the case of "a character who got decloned because he was a clone took so much time to have his new moveset that not much other characters could be made even with the time and money left" problem. Plus, it seems that Sakurai doesn't want to "alienate" Melee fans, so Roy (or Pichu, for that matter) getting decloned couldn't be a valid option for him.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think you should concern yourself too much about the potential backlash that might ensue. Every clone and even semi-clone has been there and there isn't really a way to prevent it really, however, people will get over it and move on eventually (unless.... your Dark Pit I guess....). In fact, there was actually a time when even Lucas and Wolf had a large hatebase too when they where first introduced but they are now some of the most beloved characters in the series. Even Toon Link and Falco have a large fanbase and I'm sure there are a lot of fans who really miss Roy too if some of the more casual fans I've met are anything to go by.

As a Toon Link fan, I had to put up with this BS too when he was first confirmed to return. But me and the others where happy that he came back and that's all that mattered in the end and soon after the hate died down we where able to enjoy our character in peace.

It's sad but no matter how much they will try to differentiate him from Marth, most haters will remember him as "the Melee Marth clone" and will most likely judge him based off that. It's a good thing he's been leaked early though so most people will have the time to accept and get over it. Much like what happened with Dr.Mario.

This fanbase is also a little fickle in that they just carry their hate over to the next character that gets introduced that they don't like and get over the previous one. First the Wii Fit Trainer, then it carried over to Toon Link, then it moved over to Lucina and then Dr. Mario and Dark Pit (mostly Dark Pit) and I highly doubt Roy will be the only clone/semi-clone DLC we will be getting..... We are in the early stages of DLC after all and there's still more to come, the Ballot considerations most likely hasn't even started yet. (Not that I'm wishing this upon anyone)

I guess all I'm trying to say is. Don't worry too much about it if a couple bad eggs might come in to ruin your party and just enjoy that you most likely got your boy back.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While that may be true, there's also the case of "a character who got decloned because he was a clone took so much time to have his new moveset that not much other characters could be made even with the time and money left" problem. Plus, it seems that Sakurai doesn't want to "alienate" Melee fans, so Roy (or Pichu, for that matter) getting decloned couldn't be a valid option for him.
There's a good portion of Roy fans including myself that want to see him decloned including myself. People wanting Roy back because of Melee want the character back. The moveset can be different but just having the character itself will satisfy their need. Besides, I have a pretty good feeling that those kind of fans want Roy back because of his special moves. Roy can keep most of his special moves (except for his SIde B which IMO needs to get changed to a ranged attack) seeing as it's really different than Marth/Lucina's but the vast majority of his A attacks need to be changed up in order to not be a 2nd clone.

If you don't think decloning isn't a valid option for Roy, take these things in to consideration...

- A Marth clone already exists in the game. It would be extremely unpopular with fans a like to have 2 clones of one character.

- Roy was planned for Brawl, a game that had no full-clones and only semi-clones.

- Sakurai specifically said that he didn't want Chrom in the game because he wouldn't bring anything new to the table like Robin did for FE representation in Smash. You can bring up Lucina of course but she was originally going to be an alt for Marth that was given her own slot. The same applies for Roy if he can't have a unique enough moveset that has fire based attacks.

- Other characters have been decloned even if it wasn't anything major.

1. Pit had his specials changed in Sm4sH
  2. Falco and Ganondorf were changed up despite them being the only clones for their characters. Do you think Sakurai wouldn't do the same albeit a step higher for a character that already has a clone existing in the game?
  3. Mewtwo and Lucas not being changed proves nothing. None of the 2 characters had any reason to be changed unlike Roy who needs to be different in order to not be a 2nd clone.
So yeah, theirs plenty of reasons as to why Roy needs to be changed. With a good portion of Roy fans wanting to see him decloned and a bunch of other people not wanting to see a "3rd Marth" in the game, Sakurai will have to take notice of this.

I guess all I'm saying is. Don't worry too much about it and just enjoy that you most likely got your Roy back.
It's not solely about that though. Roy fans such as myself want to see him changed because we have a character that already plays exactly like Marth and we want to see something new from Roy. Besides, theirs a lot of potential for a new moveset for Roy like incorporating his ranged fire attacks from FE6 in to his moveset and changing his A attacks to be unique which is much better than having a nearly fully-cloned Roy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's not solely about that though. Roy fans such as myself want to see him changed because we have a character that already plays exactly like Marth and we want to see something new from Roy. Besides, theirs a lot of potential for a new moveset for Roy like incorporating his ranged fire attacks from FE6 in to his moveset and changing his A attacks to be unique which is much better than having a nearly fully-cloned Roy.
Oh I was under the impression you where mainly concerned about the haters. Well if some of the other Melee clones that transitioned to Brawl are anything to go by. I'm sure he will get some substantial changes done for him. ^^

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
There's a good portion of Roy fans including myself that want to see him decloned including myself. People wanting Roy back because of Melee want the character back. The moveset can be different but just having the character itself will satisfy their need. Besides, I have a pretty good feeling that those kind of fans want Roy back because of his special moves. Roy can keep most of his special moves (except for his SIde B which IMO needs to get changed to a ranged attack) seeing as it's really different than Marth/Lucina's but the vast majority of his A attacks need to be changed up in order to not be a 2nd clone.

If you don't think decloning isn't a valid option for Roy, take these things in to consideration...

- A Marth clone already exists in the game. It would be extremely unpopular with fans a like to have 2 clones of one character.

- Roy was planned for Brawl, a game that had no full-clones and only semi-clones.

- Sakurai specifically said that he didn't want Chrom in the game because he wouldn't bring anything new to the table like Robin did for FE representation in Smash. You can bring up Lucina of course but she was originally going to be an alt for Marth that was given her own slot. The same applies for Roy if he can't have a unique enough moveset that has fire based attacks.

- Other characters have been decloned even if it wasn't anything major.

1. Pit had his specials changed in Sm4sH
  2. Falco and Ganondorf were changed up despite them being the only clones for their characters. Do you think Sakurai wouldn't do the same albeit a step higher for a character that already has a clone existing in the game?
  3. Mewtwo and Lucas not being changed proves nothing. None of the 2 characters had any reason to be changed unlike Roy who needs to be different in order to not be a 2nd clone.
So yeah, theirs plenty of reasons as to why Roy needs to be changed. With a good portion of Roy fans wanting to see him decloned and a bunch of other people not wanting to see a "3rd Marth" in the game, Sakurai will have to take notice of this.

You don't understand, I've heard that Sakurai does not want to "alienate" Melee fans ABOUT SMASH 4'S ROSTER, EVEN DLC! It has nothing to do with Brawl's changes, like, at all... But I agree, changing his standard attacks wouldn't "alienate" the Melee fans, but the specials needs to stay the same (and Marth's final smash would also be fitting). I wouldn't be satisfied with him otherwise, because he'll just feel like a different character than he was back in Melee.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You don't understand, I've heard that Sakurai does not want to "alienate" Melee fans ABOUT SMASH 4'S ROSTER, EVEN DLC! It has nothing to do with Brawl's changes, like, at all... But I agree, changing his standard attacks wouldn't "alienate" the Melee fans, but the specials needs to stay the same (and Marth's final smash would also be fitting). I wouldn't be satisfied with him otherwise, because he'll just feel like a different character than he was back in Melee.
Yeah, pretty much all of his specials from Melee are different from Marth's now that he's been changed up. If they just give him a ranged fire-based attack for his Side B, then his specials would be nothing like Marth's. A attacks defiantly need to changed though (except his Nair which can be like his PM Nair).

Oh I was under the impression you where mainly concerned about the haters. Well if some of the other Melee clones that transitioned to Brawl are anything to go by. I'm sure he will get some substantial changes done for him. ^^
I am though i'm more concerned with just having a unique character to play as lol. He'll be changed to some degree in the game, that's for sure. Even if it's something minimal like Falco/Ganondorf's changes from Melee to Brawl.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I know this is off topic, but I was playing For Glory a little while ago, and I was playing Marth with his Roy alt and with the tag "Roy4DLC". The very moment I encountered someone, he responded with the tag "ROYSUCKS".

Ugh, THIS is the type of stuff that made me think I was the only one who wanted Roy back.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I know this is off topic, but I was playing For Glory a little while ago, and I was playing Marth with his Roy alt and with the tag "Roy4DLC". The very moment I encountered someone, he responded with the tag "ROYSUCKS".

Ugh, THIS is the type of stuff that made me think I was the only one who wanted Roy back.
I've got one thing to tell you: You're not alone. (Seriously, the same thing could easily happens with Daisy or Pichu, and I don't want any of them to be treated as horrible characters on online battles. The guy you mentioned should have been banned for disrespecting your opinion!)

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

This is pretty normal, I use the "Vote4RoyFE" tag whenever I go on For Glory so I usually get anti Roy tags when I win like "Roy sucks", " NO ROY", "**** ROY" etc. It's more common if you go on Smash or Teams.

Don't be surprised if they change their tag to "Roysourboy" and go Roy koopa or Lucina either. Don't let it discourage you though, they are just children trying to be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom