• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm implying that Duck Hunt Dog has many moves taken by other characters and his status fits more of an Assist Trophy. He's just not impressive and imo silly
Duck Hunt Dog may be silly but Smash is silly already so he fits right in. Diskun is just plain lame. :troll:

courte

Smash Lord
I know i'd get blown up for this, but wouldn't anyone like to see a... 2D Retro heavy smash?

There are tons of great characters from nintendo's past who will be overshadowed for a while by Mario, Toad, and Professor Layton. It'd be great if they went straight up Shonen Jump Stars and went 2D. It'd probably cost less and they could fit a lot more characters in it too.

please Saturn, just cuss out my mom on the Diskun thread. I'm not here to make enemies, but being an old man, it seems like it's bound to happen sooner or later anyway.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
never said having lesser known characters is bad this whole argument starter with some one saying Waddle Dee isn't good enough for smash because he can't create hype where I have argued that what is hype for casuals is different then what is hype for us
Ridley was a bad example because he can be hype for every one
Captain Falcon was popular when he got into smash or at least I think he was gonna google this ............. yes his game sold almost as well as Kirby 64
Hype can be different for certain people, but Ridley, still would overall cause much more hype than most characters.

And Sakurai could've decided to not include Capt. Falcon in future Smash titles, yet he did. Captain Falcon would've been far less popular and and not nearly as well known if Sakurai didn't include him again.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I seriously can't believe we're judging characters based off the amount of hype they can generate. How hyped were you guys when Pit, a character practically no one has heard of before Brawl, was revealed?
I knew of Pit, but compared to Wario being revealed it generated absolutely nothing in me. Point taken. Wii Fit Trainer isn't exactly going to be the most hyped character ever is she?

Aside from rule 34 I mean.
Which Sakurai seems to be promoting.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Obviously Sakurai doesn't care as he basically stopped listening to the filthy casuals a little less than a month after he started posting pictures on Miiverse.

Why of course, Sakurai obviously does not take into consideration the... as you say, filthy... casuals in any manner whatsoever. Clearly, then, it is only the... by definition of comparison, thoroughly cleansed... competitive scene he's taken care for, because apparently Sakurai values only critical success rather than commercial.

Whatever your unfavorable opinions on the casual market (which borders on obstinate sectarianism), they are still a highly-prioritized community of consumers who greatly contribute to the commercial success of Nintendo. Will Sakurai, then, obey submissively to every casual demand? No, because demand for characters vary accordingly from one region to the next. What he will obey to, however, is where the general consumer demand is appropriately, and how he can financially profit greatly from these Nintendo products. Sakurai knows which fan-bases' demands are considerably valuable to the Super Smash Brothers series, and he would do well to take great care of both his competitive and casual fan-bases.

The only way one can describe casuals as... filthy... is the monetary value they hold to Nintendo's industrial revenue, as in making them filthy rich.

Morbi

Scavenger
I knew of Pit, but compared to Wario being revealed it generated absolutely nothing in me. Point taken. Wii Fit Trainer isn't exactly going to be the most hyped character ever is she?

I am pretty hyped for Wii Fit Trainer. I don't want to say she is the most hyped character ever... but to me she was.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I seriously can't believe we're judging characters based off the amount of hype they can generate. How hyped were you guys when Pit, a character practically no one has heard of before Brawl, was revealed?

To be honest I was incredibly hyped as I played his game on NES. In terms of character hype I believe you want a good balance of appealing to both fans and casual gamers, the thing is that the fans are going to be the ones that become vocal about it and care for the said character more. And a lot of characters will appeal to the casual audience but you also need to take into account of the fans as well, who are going to much harder to please.

Ridley is a prime example of this, the hype his inclusion will generate will be huge and his appeal is definitely prevalent to both fans and newcomers alike. Who doesn't want to play as a gigantic space dragon? (Although pirate is the correct term here)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I need to ask, I don't know if I haven't caught on yet... but are you seriously supporting Diskun?
Yes, I am because he's a completely feasible and deserving character. He really doesn't serve any issue. He can move, he can fight with stuff from Famicom games, and he's the notable mascot for the Famicom Disk System. So yeah, I am supporting Diskun.

If you have a problem with people supporting perfectly reasonable characters because they're not requested or not freaking Ridley...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By the way, according to all this casual pandering logic, apparently Mii will create a lot more hype then the likes of Ridley or K. Rool.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

The comments about Wii Fit Trainer's "side boob" (which is really just her arm, yeah Sakurai is really going to show bare breasts in Smash Bros. right?) earlier made me lose faith in things, like humanity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

To be honest, I was excited to see Wario... but his fart killed the hype I had for Wario right away... it wasn't what I wanted for Wario... I wanted the Wario from Wario Land games, not the Wario from WarioWare games.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, I am because he's a completely feasible and deserving character. He really doesn't serve any issue. He can move, he can fight with stuff from Famicom games, and he's the notable mascot for the Famicom Disk System. So yeah, I am supporting Diskun.

If you have a problem with people supporting perfectly reasonable characters because they're not requested or not freaking Ridley...
... ... ... ... really?

If Diskun gets in... I will not only leave the forums forever, I might actually pay you.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hype is simply caused by the reveal of a popular character's inclusion, but in the end hype does not truly matter at all once the game is released and people are actually able to play as the characters.

If Ridley is in the game but we won't know that until it's released, will any hype his reveal could've caused matter at that point? Mega Man has already caused some good hype, and there are plenty of other likely characters who's reveals could cause hype.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How hyped were you guys when Pit, a character practically no one has heard of before Brawl, was revealed?
Was actually the most hyped character for me in regards to the first trailer, even more then Snake. Probably because it was an overhaul of an dated concept, and of course the dual blades provided by the Palutena Bow did catch my attention.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

I don't think he has a problem with supporting characters not named Ridley, he may have a perfectly reasonable problem with undeserving like Diskun taking the spot of characters like Ridley, Shulk or K. Rool or other retros like Lip, Monty Mole and Dunk Hunt Dog.

EDIT: Meant Muddy Mole, not Monty. My bad.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Duck Hunt Dog may be silly but Smash is silly already so he fits right in. Diskun is just plain lame. :troll:
I disagree, Diskun is cute and awesome like Mr. Game & Watch. He's an adorable little mascot. Duck Hunt Dog in smash is the most laughable and unappealing thing that could happen and feels incredibly out of place and just plain silly and lame. But, I guess we can't have our own opinions, Arcadenick,. You obviously feel need to **** all over supporters of characters you are bias against. I didn't come over to you and **** all over Duck Hunt Dog, you came to me and **** on Diskun and I just returned the favor.

Morbi

Scavenger
The comments about Wii Fit Trainer's "side boob" (which is really just her arm, yeah Sakurai is really going to show bare breasts in Smash Bros. right?) earlier made me lose faith in things, like humanity.
You might want to look at that picture again. There is side-boob in the picture. Literally. Side-boob isn't full frontal nudity... it is the side... of a boob. It is really simple logic.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
By the way, according to all this casual pandering logic, apparently Mii will create a lot more hype then the likes of Ridley or K. Rool.

It seems that my definition of casual doesn't quite match everyone else's. Not all casuals are going to be pandering for ridiculous characters like Goku and Master Chief, and just because a character is recognizable to the majority of the audience doesn't mean it will appeal to them, or even the entire fanbase, through a gameplay perspective. Some have simple demands and couldn't quite care what the roster ends up being (Within reason) so long as they can play the game.

Reznor

work in progress
And so did a lot of Hardcores so Sakurai still didn't completely cater to them, I don't see your point here.
ROB was well known in the 80s and because of Starfox
KI sold 1.76m in the NES days which is good
IC sold 1.50 it was also popular
Edit: for some reason some of you post is gone in my quote :confused:
Hype can be different for certain people, but Ridley, still would overall cause much more hype than most characters.

And Sakurai could've decided to not include Capt. Falcon in future Smash titles, yet he did. Captain Falcon would've been far less popular and and not nearly as well known if Sakurai didn't include him again.
about Ridley again I have already posted several times he was an example and I admit he was a bad one
F-Zero GX came out after Melee so he was probably going on the success on F-Zero X then when Brawl came around Falcon was a big popular because of Smash

probably could create more hype every one loves to play as Hitler or Homer Simpson :awesome:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Casuals only care if the game is fun to play. Since lesser known characters like Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, the Ice Climbers, Pit, and Ike are fun to play, they don't care too much that they don't know much about them, because knowing about said characters isn't the point.
Eh, its' a different kind of hype.
This. Notice how the vast majority of Smash newcomers are ones with sizable online fanbases and ones that us as a community predict with decent accuracy?
Because stupids.

Also, because the game features prominent Nintendo characters that are stars of their respective franchises, and the casuals routinely ask for like the 15th most important character in various franchises, as well as a crap ton of (mostly random-ish) 3rd party characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
... ... ... ... really?

If Diskun gets in... I will not only leave the forums forever, I might actually pay you.
Sounds like a deal. Since you're so arrogantly sure of this, Mr. Sakurai.

I don't think he has a problem with supporting characters not named Ridley, he may have a perfectly reasonable problem with undeserving like Diskun taking the spot of characters like Ridley, Shulk or K. Rool or other retros like Lip, Monty Mole and Dunk Hunt Dog.
Again, people against a character because it indirectly takes the place of their precious requests. I say the mascot for the revolutionary famicom's Disk System is very deserving, especially more than Lip, Muddy Mole, and Shulky McRecency. Sometimes characters like that get in and you don't always get your dream roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sounds like a deal. Since you're so arrogantly sure of this.

Again, people against a character because it indirectly takes the place of their precious requests. I say the mascot for the revolutionary famicom's Disk System is very deserving, especially more than Lip, Muddy Mole, and Shulky McRecency. Sometimes characters like that get in and you don't always get your dream roster.
I promise. It is a deal.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The definition of the word "hype" according to Dictionary.com...

verb
1. to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually followed by up ): She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.
2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.
3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually followed by up ).
4. to trick; gull.

noun
5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
7. a swindle, deception, or trick.

So, Mii will intensely agitate the Smash fans, resulting in this:

:troll:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I disagree, Diskun is cute and awesome like Mr. Game & Watch. He's an adorable little mascot. Duck Hunt Dog in smash is the most laughable and unappealing thing that could happen and feels incredibly out of place and just plain silly and lame. But, I guess we can't have our own opinions, Arcadenick,. You obviously feel need to **** all over supporters of characters you are bias against. I didn't come over to you and **** all over Duck Hunt Dog, you came to me and **** on Diskun and I just returned the favor.
I think that 7UP Mascot from Cool Spot was a pretty awesome mascot, let's add the Noid from Yo! Noid while we're at it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wow, love how people misinterpreted what I said. It's a jab at the logic of "being more well known means you'll generate more hype". Since many people know about the Mii, supposedly that will create more hype then everything else according to that logic.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think that 7UP Mascot from Cool Spot was a pretty awesome mascot, let's add the Noid from Yo! Noid while we're at it.
We're comparing Nintendo Mascots to the mascots of Dominoes & 7-Up? So Mario is comparable to those 2? I mean he's a mascot after all.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Sounds like a deal. Since you're so arrogantly sure of this, Mr. Sakurai.

The Famicom Disk System was revolutionary? Wasn't revolutionary enough to get outside of Japan...

Also, are you seriously against Shulk because of him being a new Nintendo character? :lolololol

How is Diskun more deserving than any of those characters, because he was the mascot of a failed Nintendo add-on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom