• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
(Oh good. As soon as I sign up, the site starts crashing again. Great.)

Sometime during the second half of next year seems like the safest bet. If we're extremely lucky, we could perhaps get it near the end of Q2, but I highly doubt it.

Also, hello. New guy stepping in after years of lurking. I just thought I would step out of the side lines an get involved with the community. I hope to have an awesome time here!
Welcome to the boards! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed to Q4 '14. After all, if Brawl did it, I can expect the same. However, I'm shocked about the development of SSE taking 70% of the game. No wonder I was disappointed with Brawl a little bit

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think at the very least Smash 4 Wii U is going to be released during Q4 2014. That game will push more Wii U's than anything else they could possibly get out at that time.

I actually think its possible they may end up delaying the 3DS version if for nothing else but to keep it from cannibalizing the Wii U version's sales.

Far, far more people own a 3DS than a Wii U, and most people will simply opt to get it for that console, instead of having to shell out $300.
I will get both, no doubt about it.

Wii U for when I play Smash with my boyfriend and play it online with my fellow SmashBoarders.

3DS for when I play Smash while I am commuting between home and school... assuming I am not still playing Animal Crossing by then...

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

Sometime during the second half of next year seems like the safest bet. If we're extremely lucky, we could perhaps get it near the end of Q2, but I highly doubt it.

Also, hello. New guy stepping in after years of lurking. I just thought I would step out of the side lines an get involved with the community. I hope to have an awesome time here!
Welcome fellow lurker, this thread isn't as odd as the social one but sometimes two certain users get into arguements.... but you'll have an awesome time nonetheless.

anyways *looks at guests* sign up ya fools! :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay, the website is crashing. Looks like it may be under DDoS attack again.

Its a shame too, because we have the Pokemon unveil coming up next week.
The site has been crashing intermittently since it came back, sometimes it's just due to load. I wouldn't get too worried yet.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well today.

So, it sounds like the site's been having a couple of issues today. I don't know what to say, considering I had no problems with it this morning, but I guess it's your location as mine's been pretty okay. Anyways, looks like the topic isn't anything too special, I'm going to go and make some fan artwork of Delphox.

Gune

Smash Lord
On the subject of how much development time and programming went into brawl's SSE there isn't a exact percentage for how much work was put into it, I beleive there was a second data layer to brawl's disc had a second disc layer for SSE's cutscenes.

Oh and welcome brad.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
@Brad-Rock Welcome!

I feel like I'm the only one that enjoyed SSE. I really liked it, but of course it had its flaws, not everything is perfect, but I still liked it. I was sad they didn't add one this game, but it's for the best I suppose.

Gune

Smash Lord
@Brad-Rock Welcome!

I feel like I'm the only one that enjoyed SSE. I really liked it, but of course it had its flaws, not everything is perfect, but I still liked it. I was sad they didn't add one this game, but it's for the best I suppose.
No you aren't I enjoyed it also favorite part to this day is when Lucario found snake in his box cracks me up...

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

Welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your stay here, we don´t bite...much.
.n_n.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
@Brad-Rock Welcome!

You're not alone. I liked it as well, the idea of platforming through levels with the integrated story was pretty cool. It felt like a beat em up, but at the same time had alot of depth to it which is what beat em ups suffer from usually.

If they had ironed out its flaws a bit, like the co op mode and bad compression of the cut scenes, it wouldve been my favorite story mode of any game. That being said, im glad they're not doing a SSE style story because it does eat up development time.

And with how lackluster the wii u is right now, they gotta push it out sooner than later.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hmm... interesting topics that haven't been spoken of in a while. And a new guy. Hi, new guy! Welcome to the club!

1. I think, at the earliest, the game would come out late September of next year. By "2014" I think they meant "It will be in 2014, but we will be working to the last second on it". But I'm fine with that.
2. I liked the SSE, or rather the concept of it. I think it could have been dealt with better, as the cutscenes and crappy Great Maze weren't all that great. And I too want to see valid proof of SSE taking 70% of development time, though I wouldn't be surprised. I think it will lift a heavy burden on the game developers' shoulders.
3. Toon Link picture today. I love it, as you can clearly see. I hope tomorrow will be a pic of Sonic smirking in that taunt, with the caption "Gotta Go Fast".

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Uhmm...seeing as Japan doesn't use the English alphabet, you kinda fail again. Luigi in Japanese is spelled with their characters, not Ruiiji. You're saying that translating it phonetically for them makes it "Ruiiji", but that's not actually how it's spelled in Japan. How stupid. Even more funny, you can even go to the Smash website and pick Asia-Japan and it has Luigi right there. Not Ruiiji. Derp.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Luigi
http://www.mariowiki.com/Waluigi
Read the first line of text in the first paragraph in both of these links.
Luigi was referred to as Luigi in Smash Brothers games because it's what he's referred universally.

Smash isn't a Mario game so actually do research on Mario games for your Mario related information please.
Also explain how Waluigi isn't lazier than Luigi or Wario. Take Mario. He has 2 direct off-shoots. Evil version, and palette swap/Player 2 version. Waluigi is an off-shoot of Luigi, someone who was already a lazy copy of Mario. IE he's lazier than the reasoning behind Luigi or Wario. I can't believe you're even trying to defend him as a character. Luigi and Wario both have gone one to establish themselves as key Mario series characters, while we have Waluigi, the uninspired 4th plumber who has yet to do anything at all.
He didn't say Waluigi was any important, he just said that Luigi and Wario are on Walugi's level of lazy too. They're no better than him when it came to conception.
Also why would you compare Waluigi to one-off characters from Super Mario RPG? I mean the dude shows up to Mario Kart and Mario Party, so obviously he's above one-offs. He's still the eternal spin-off character. Regardless Waluigi isn't important to Nintendo's marketing at all. When do you see Waluigi ever advertised more than Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Toad, Jr., Paper Mario, or even anyone? They don't even focus on him for marketing the only games he shows up in, IE Mario Kart/Party.
Why would they market Waluigi in games like MARIO Party and MARIO Kart? Of course they would market the main cast of the main MARIO games (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Toad). Waluigi still shows up in the gameplay of the advertisements, so he's still being marketed. Just not being blatantly posted on top of box arts (Which normally goes to Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi).
There are no non-spin off games in Mario? So what exactly are Mario Kart and Mario Party and the Mario sports games? Main series games? I think not. They're spin-offs of the Mario series, which, as I'm sure you know, is known for platformers both 2D and 3D.
They're still Mario games Spin-offs would refer to Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong games. Mario is known for platformers, but all sports / party / kart games are still Mario games.
Until the day he is actually used alongside Mario or Luigi or even Wario in a main series game
Which will probably never happen (Basically what Golden said).
he'll always just be some lazy evil clone of a clone of Mario who is uninteresting and boring.
that may be your opinion but Waluigi is my favorite Mario character.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAluigi
My sentiments exactly. Waluigi is a boring uninspired bum with no importance in my eyes, to put it bluntly. No offense to Waluigi lovers or anything, that's just my opinion.
Then don't speak your opinions as the facts.

Espio264

Smash Ace
So many of you are crapping on the SSE. It was a gift. Sure, a lot of the random enemies were pointless and made the levels seem long winded, but the fact that they gave us a story and beautiful cutscenes more than made up for that. And sure the plot was no Inception, or even The Waterboy, but it was still an interesting way of bringing all of our favorites characters from different worlds together into one. If the game's only importance to you is for the sake of fighting, and not the celebration of Nintendo as a phenomenon, then you can't call yourself a true fan, and your involvement in this community is only because you have nothing better to do.

I've made peace with no new story mode, but only because I understand that balancing the two games is an enormous undertaking, and I fully expect the roster to be super-sized this go round, and these things take the necessary development time away from it. But if SSE were so bad, do you even play Zelda games? Or Metroid? Or even freakin' Sonic? The stories and cutscenes make the games transcend beyond something for you to do because you're bored, lazy and need something productive between your hands, and raises them to the level of Art. Like I said before, SSE was a gift from the creators for those of us who have fallen in love with this franchise. No it wasn't perfect, but if it were would they need to continue making us new installments?

My only regret is not getting to see Mewtwo barrel through a heap of morons in glorious, cinematic CGI. Maybe Sakurai will surprise us.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Guys, riddle me this:

How does everyone feel about Chibi-Robo in Smash?
I have a huge wanting for him because I loved the game so much. But he seems unlikely. However, with his new game that just came out, and Japan getting two more games than we got, there's still a slight chance.

Although a small one :( I created the thread on the character discussion board. Haha in it is my moveset idea. I think he should be very small with a tiny hitbox (only low hits can hit him when he's idle), but with relatively weak attacks. I think that would be cool haha

Edit:

Link to thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...hread-a-little-guy-with-big-potential.324260/

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have a huge wanting for him because I loved the game so much. But he seems unlikely. However, with his new game that just came out, and Japan getting two more games than we got, there's still a slight chance.

Although a small one :( I created the thread on the character discussion board. Haha in it is my moveset idea. I think he should be very small with a tiny hitbox (only low hits can hit him when he's idle), but with relatively weak attacks. I think that would be cool haha

Edit:

Link to thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...hread-a-little-guy-with-big-potential.324260/
He looks pretty fitting in that small size, but I think he should be as tall as Mario.

D

Deleted member

Uhmm...seeing as Japan doesn't use the English alphabet, you kinda fail again. Luigi in Japanese is spelled with their characters, not Ruiiji. You're saying that translating it phonetically for them makes it "Ruiiji", but that's not actually how it's spelled in Japan. How stupid. Even more funny, you can even go to the Smash website and pick Asia-Japan and it has Luigi right there. Not Ruiiji. Derp.
Clearly you're an idiot that doesn't know what the **** Romaji is. "Derp" suits you well.

Also explain how Waluigi isn't lazier than Luigi or Wario. Take Mario. He has 2 direct off-shoots. Evil version, and palette swap/Player 2 version. Waluigi is an off-shoot of Luigi, someone who was already a lazy copy of Mario. IE he's lazier than the reasoning behind Luigi or Wario. I can't believe you're even trying to defend him as a character. Luigi and Wario both have gone one to establish themselves as key Mario series characters, while we have Waluigi, the uninspired 4th plumber who has yet to do anything at all.
They are all equally lazy. I mean, Luigi was literally just "P2 Mario"; a palette swap. Wario took a concept that already existed (a dark counterpart to Mario; Foreman Spike did it first) and made it much more apparent.

But Waluigi, a Player 2/palette swap? Forget being an idiot, you must have brain damage.
This was how Luigi started off compared to Mario.

This is how Waluigi started off compared to Wario.

Now, tell me again how Waluigi was merely a palette swap just like Luigi was. Especially when M&L are both All-Arounds while Wario is Power and Waluigi is Technique.
Wasn't created for the sole purpose of being Player 2 either, since his debut was a multi-character game; Players 1-4 could pick anyone they wanted from an array of available characters.
As for your point about "Luigi and Wario establishing themselves as key Mario characters", it's rather moot when only very few have done so.
-Mario
-Luigi (fell for a long period of time, then climbed back up)
-Peach
-Bowser
-Yoshi
-Wario (Though he broke away from Mario early on and is only tied to Mario through sports/karts/parties/etc.)

Next runner-up is Bowser Jr.

I don't defend Waluigi because he's a "key" Mario character (because he currently isn't). I defend him because of people like you that say stupid **** about him because you blindly hate him with a passion.

Also why would you compare Waluigi to one-off characters from Super Mario RPG? I mean the dude shows up to Mario Kart and Mario Party, so obviously he's above one-offs. He's still the eternal spin-off character. Regardless Waluigi isn't important to Nintendo's marketing at all. When do you see Waluigi ever advertised more than Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Toad, Jr., Paper Mario, or even anyone? They don't even focus on him for marketing the only games he shows up in, IE Mario Kart/Party.
You'd be an idiot to think anyone would be advertised more than Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Wario. Aside from that, they seem to find him important enough to market the franchise as a whole (what did you think I meant? By game?) alongside the more "key" characters.
One such example is a poster you can get from Club Nintendo.

Never do I see Paper Mario (who's literally just Mario in a different artstyle) being shown off with the cast.

There are no non-spin off games in Mario? So what exactly are Mario Kart and Mario Party and the Mario sports games? Main series games? I think not. They're spin-offs of the Mario series, which, as I'm sure you know, is known for platformers both 2D and 3D.
I will say it again; all Mario games are spin-offs.
The only "main" Mario game is the original Mario Bros., and even then, that's a spin-off of the arcade Donkey Kong.

People use the "platformer" logic to try to give labels to games they think are "main" and which ones they think are mere irrelevant spin-off.
But the logic fails when one considers that Super Mario Bros. is an side-scrolling spin-off of an endless arcade game that has little to nothing to do with later titles in the "main" franchise aside from the two playable characters.

It also falls apart due to Miyamoto's statement about how the Mario cast are merely a troupe of actors and the series has no definitive canon.

Until the day he is actually used alongside Mario or Luigi or even Wario in a main series game, he'll always just be some lazy evil clone of a clone of Mario who is uninteresting and boring.
So either
-break character and make Waluigi all goody-goody and nice and help the Mario Bros. because they're his best buddies and he loves them
or
-throw in Wario and Waluigi in one of Mario's platforming games for the sake of throwing them in despite Wario having no business being in the Mushroom Kingdom anyway other than to beat Mario in a competition

just so you don't ***** about Waluigi?

Yeah, really glad you aren't in charge of Mario games.

Smarter thing to do would be to take the Wrecking Crew games and have Waluigi take them over since he's a walking Wrecking Crew reference anyway.
Either that or make a parody Super Wario Bros. title not done by Nintendo R&D1 or whatever they call themselves now.

PM me if you want to continue. No longer going to disrupt discussion for others for this.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So many of you are crapping on the SSE. It was a gift. Sure, a lot of the random enemies were pointless and made the levels seem long winded, but the fact that they gave us a story and beautiful cutscenes more than made up for that. And sure the plot was no Inception, or even The Waterboy, but it was still an interesting way of bringing all of our favorites characters from different worlds together into one. If the game's only importance to you is for the sake of fighting, and not the celebration of Nintendo as a phenomenon, then you can't call yourself a true fan, and your involvement in this community is only because you have nothing better to do.

I've made peace with no new story mode, but only because I understand that balancing the two games is an enormous undertaking, and I fully expect the roster to be super-sized this go round, and these things take the necessary development time away from it. But if SSE were so bad, do you even play Zelda games? Or Metroid? Or even freakin' Sonic? The stories and cutscenes make the games transcend beyond something for you to do because you're bored, lazy and need something productive between your hands, and raises them to the level of Art. Like I said before, SSE was a gift from the creators for those of us who have fallen in love with this franchise. No it wasn't perfect, but if it were would they need to continue making us new installments?

My only regret is not getting to see Mewtwo barrel through a heap of morons in glorious, cinematic CGI. Maybe Sakurai will surprise us.
I did like some of the random pairings though. I mean...

Mario/Pit
Lucas/Pokemon Trainer
Diddy/Fox/Falco
Falcon/Olimar
Meta-Knight/Lucario/Snake

My god, the possibilities are endless watching that

If he isn't playable, I'm fine with Chici making AT to give the series some representation

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I enjoyed SSE and replayed through it. I like platforming games so I don't mind the platforming element.

I hope Smash 4 other single player mode besides classic is like adventure mode in Melee. That was a real treat. Imagine revisiting elements from all the series we have now.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman

Edit:

Link to thread:
Man, I love Chibi-Robo, but...

...he really should be taller. I understand what you are going for, but I don't think it would work entirely well if he was that small. About Mario's size seems about right, or even just a as tall as Olimar

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Man, I love Chibi-Robo, but...

...he really should be taller. I understand what you are going for, but I don't think it would work entirely well if he was that small. About Mario's size seems about right, or even just a as tall as Olimar
Haha yeah I got that on the OT also. So I made a version 2 for the thread a while back. I made him as tall as squirtle, the smallest character in Brawl.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Haha yeah I got that on the OT also. So I made a version 2 for the thread a while back. I made him as tall as squirtle, the smallest character in Brawl.

That's much better. It's actually the perfect size, as you got to consider the possibility of Chibi being able to hold the plug over his head, which would obviously increase his size.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Calm down. Just yourself calm down. There is no need to exhaustively overheat yourself, especially concerning these trivial matters.

When you are arguing with someone who is obviously wrong and stubbornly ignorant, of course its gonna piss you off.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Guys, riddle me this:

How does everyone feel about Chibi-Robo in Smash?

I'd be interested in using him. Though I'm not all that confident in his chances. Then again, isn't there a new Chibi-Robo game coming out soon?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
When you are arguing with someone who is obviously wrong and stubbornly ignorant, of course its gonna piss you off.
You know, I don't understand Waluigi's hate. I mean he certainly isn't who I want. But I would love to have him in. He'd bring so much personality. And that's all I really want in this game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Dat Waluigi argument.....

Oh uhhh, yeah Chibi-Robo would be a neat addtion to Smash. He's one of those characters I want in Smash despite having never played one of his games before.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's a new roster with DLC:

What do you guys think of it?
Not a bad roster, but definetely not something I'd want.

Dr. Kawashima? No. I don't like the idea of him in Smash at all.

Then theres Diddy and Dixie as a tag team, which I think is an injustice to them. They both differ enough from each other to be seperate, unless you they're a tag team in the same manner as in the old DKC games, which would be better, but I still prefer the idea of them being seperate.
Lastly theres Pac-man and Mii. I wouldn't be too surprised about Pac-man getting it in, though I still don't like the idea of him.

But I'll give you props for including Ridley, Palutena and Little Mac. And Hades as DLC? Good choice! But why should Dark Pit be anything more than a palette swap?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How many DLC characters do you think could happen?

8 sounds like a pretty good number.
I think DLC for new characters could happen, but I think they could be semi-clones so that the DLC process is faster.

At least it doesn't have Nintendog,but still is a bad roster in my opinion.
Is Kawashima the whole reason it's bad?
I can actually envision him being in Smash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom