• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How many DLC characters do you think could happen?

8 sounds like a pretty good number.
My guess is 4 at most. Sakurai tends to want to make the initial game as complete as possible, and I only see him doing DLC at Nintendo's insistence, as they seem to be pretty big on DLC nowadays.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Is Kawashima the whole reason it's bad?
I can actually envision him being in Smash though.
The problems are Dr.Kawashima,Nintendouji,and 5 Fire Emblem characters (Anna),Dark Pit and Hades are weird choices too.
Why Takamaru AND Prince Sable?
And I don't think that Diddy + Dixie is a good idea.
And obviously,no Bandana Dee... :awesome:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The problems are Dr.Kawashima,Nintendouji,and 5 Fire Emblem characters (Anna),Dark Pit and Hades are weird choices too.
Why Takamaru AND Prince Sable?
And I don't think that Diddy + Dixie is a good idea.
And obviously,no Bandana Dee... :awesome:
Didn't you see the DLC sign?
I chose Takamaru and P. Sable because I thought they were 2 very unique retro characters, Takamaru being a fast samurai and Prince Sable being a prince that can offer a balance, jumping, and power by transforming.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it has to be only 4 DLC characters, for it's gotta be Ike, Lucario, Snake, and Roy!
I like how you just assume those three will be cut. :rolleyes:

If Sakurai's not going all out for the Adventure mode, and there aren't any Sonic-type situations, there's a very possible chance of all characters making it back, if that's his intention.

Morbi

Scavenger

If Sakurai's not going all out for the Adventure mode, and there aren't any Sonic-type situations, there's a very possible chance of all characters making it back, if that's his intention.
I have to admit. I also think Snake and Lucas are the most likely to be cut. I don't really anticipate any cuts though. Not anymore.

@BluePikmin11

This is where my current roster and DLC choices are at (the roster is more set for this year at least, the DLC is the one I am mainly going to work on before the end of the year)

Morbi

Scavenger
@BluePikmin11

This is where my current roster and DLC choices are at (the roster is more set for this year at least, the DLC is the one I am mainly going to work on before the end of the wear)

That DLC selection is simply horrible. Ridley is the only one anyone would buy. Maybe switch it up a little? I don't even know who Fiora/Simon/Andy are. Haha.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Time constraints may play a factor as well, especially if the two games are planned to be released by December 2014.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Here's a new roster with DLC:

What do you guys think of it?
Okay well,
+ Ridley, Mac Baby, Palutena, and Mewtwo: Right off the bat you got the popular ones, which is great.
+ Full leak: This is something that I've been wrapping my head around for awhile now, and I suppose all three of them would fit pretty well. So I like that.
Prince Sablé: I'm indifferent to him, but I'm a supporter for a Gameboy retro character (just a different one).
Takamaru: Again, I'm indifferent to this character too. I see the positive aspects and all, but it's not somebody I'd personally want to see.
Cutting Snake: It's understandable, there many problems that could arise with Snake. But I'm very much against cuts and I do think that Snake could still end up in the game if Sakurai really wanted him back.
- Having both Takamaru and Prince Sablé: Both characters are good for their own reasons, but they're both Japanese only retro characters. Please, be considerate of that.
- Dr. Kawashima: We had to get to this point someday, right? Kawashima is nobody anyone wants to play as. He isn't playable material. Assist Trophy probably, he'd be pretty cool if he was one.
- Cutting Lucario: I know you have a thing against more than five character per franchise, but come on. Pokémon could have 6 characters, and it still wouldn't be enough to fairly represent the franchise. Mario already had 5 reps before in Mele and was going to in Brawl with Pokémon. There's no reason to deny Pokémon another character if it could suffice that amount.
- Cutting Ike for Chrom AND Anna: Now I'm going to be honest. I really really really like Anna and I really really really don't like Chrom that much. But instead of just adding Chrom or just adding Anna, you added them both and got rid of Ike. Now I'd first like to ask what made you cut ike for two fe characters and then I'd like to ask you why just didn't keep Ike in the first place. I mean if you kept Ike in there, I wouldn't have any complaints. But you cut him for two additional characters, which makes no sense.
- Nintendouiji: Now I've multiple times that if you want a Hanafuda based fighter, Nintendouji is the best bet. But I feel as if he's far too obscure to be realistically considered. He's from a Japanese-only Club Nintendo exclusive game. There just isn't an audience for him.

So on your DLC List...
+ Adding previously cut characters: It would make perfect sense if previously cut characters were made into DLC. So that much is good with your roster.
- Too much representation for certain franchises: 2 Kid Icarus characters? 2 Pokémon characters? 3 Fire Emblem characters? Come on now. Where's the Mario character? Where's the Zelda character? You didn't even add any new franchises through DLC. That's some pretty biased stuff you're putting up there.
- Snake: Third-Party DLC characters? I find that pretty unlikely. Third-Party characters are pretty high profile, so I can't see any not making it in the actual game.

Overall, I can't say I'm a fan of your roster. I appreciate that you want to make it different and all, but it's too different for anybody's tastes (I'd think).
Also think about how the roster will look on a screen. The roster would look really tiny on a 3DS screen, so put that into consideration when you're making the next version of it.

That DLC selection is simply horrible. Ridley is the only one anyone would buy. Maybe switch it up a little? I don't even know who Fiora/Simon/Andy are. Haha.
Well the DLC is under a lot of work

Andy is from Advance Wars, Fiora is from Xenoblade, and Simon is from Castlevania.

The four I am the most certain about keeping in there are Andy, Dillon, Ridley, and Simon. Mona is a big maybe at least.

The other 3? Those are going to be the main changes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@BluePikmin11

This is where my current roster and DLC choices are at (the roster is more set for this year at least, the DLC is the one I am mainly going to work on before the end of the year)

Ignoring all the other problems with your roster, after passing on one of the most requested characters for two games now, you think Sakurai, even though he likely thinks Ridley is fundamentally not feasible (which would have to be his mentality if he still isn't included this time), will then change his mind once it comes to DLC?

Oh DSN.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I will say it again; all Mario games are spin-offs.
The only "main" Mario game is the original Mario Bros., and even then, that's a spin-off of the arcade Donkey Kong.

People use the "platformer" logic to try to give labels to games they think are "main" and which ones they think are mere irrelevant spin-off.
But the logic fails when one considers that Super Mario Bros. is an side-scrolling spin-off of an endless arcade game that has little to nothing to do with later titles in the "main" franchise aside from the two playable characters.
I disagree with this. The Super Mario series is it's own series that spun off Donkey Kong, but also can have spin-offs as well. The Super Mario main series is a platforming series with the name Super Mario in it, including Wario Land and Yoshi's Island. It started with Super Mario Bros. All platforming games with Super Mario in the title "exactly" are parts of this main series. The spin-offs are the games of different genres such as the Paper Mario and Mario vs Donkey Kong series, as wells as Mario Kart and Mario sports. Just because Super Mario as a series started off as a spin off doesn't mean itself can't have spin-offs.

It's very clear what the Super Mario main series is: Super Mario (Series) | Super Mario (Series)

A comparison would be a comics series like X-Men. X-Men has a spin-off comics called Wolverine. Wolverine itself has had spin-offs such as Daken: Dark Wolverine. In TV, Melrose Place is a spin-off of Beverly Hills, 90210. Melrose Place has had a sequel also called Melrose Place and a spin off called Models Inc.

Morbi

Scavenger
Then you might end up being disappointed there. After all, we don't want to go the same road that Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 crossed.
I know what you mean. I am not really expecting late Q1... I just think that it is when Nintendo should be shooting for. I don't know how they are going to compete once the Ps4/Xbox One launch. They need a console seller soon. Q4 might be more likely though.

Ignoring all the other problems with your roster, after passing on one of the most requested characters for two games now, you think Sakurai, even though he likely thinks Ridley is fundamentally not feasible (which would have to be his mentality if he still isn't included this time), will then change his mind once it comes to DLC?

Oh DSN.
A possibility, if even low.

My main process with the DLC choices was to choose characters from franchises that did not get repped/a newcomer on my main roster. Which is why I stayed away from Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, etc.

The only one that sticks out from that method would be Fiora, and she was a last minute addition.

Andy, Dillon, and Simon are the most likely to stay. Ridley is possible, but if not, it would probably be another Metroid character replacing him. Mona is debatable. The other three will pretty much be the ones replaced.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Overall, I can't say I'm a fan of your roster. I appreciate that you want to make it different and all, but it's too different for anybody's tastes (I'd think).
Also think about how the roster will look on a screen. The roster would look really tiny on a 3DS screen, so put that into consideration when you're making the next version of it.
What about scrolling through the roster on the 3DS screen.

Morbi

Scavenger
Newcomers/Returning Veterans that I think are imminent:
Mewtwo
Roy
Palutena
Little Mac
Dixie Kong

Newcomers I think are very likely:
Ridley

Newcomers I want that are possibilities:
Toad
Tingle
Bandana Dee
Black Shadow

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
What about scrolling through the roster on the 3DS screen.
It would be more visibly pleasing if you could see all of the characters on the screen without the need to scroll it.
also I forgot to mention the lack of a new mario / spinoff mario character.
One of those is practically a necessity...
Newcomers/Returning Veterans that I think are imminent:
Roy
If I may, what exactly makes Roy imminent?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A possibility, if even low.

My main process with the DLC choices was to choose characters from franchises that did not get repped/a newcomer on my main roster. Which is why I stayed away from Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, etc.

The only one that sticks out from that method would be Fiora, and she was a last minute addition.

Andy, Dillon, and Simon are the most likely to stay. Ridley is possible, but if not, it would probably be another Metroid character replacing him. Mona is debatable. The other three will pretty much be the ones replaced.
But why would Sakurai's opinion of Ridley change from the time when the initial roster was made to when DLC characters were decided? He's probably had the same opinion of Ridley this whole time, one in which he likely thinks Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character, and considering that he already almost definitely aware of Ridley's popularity, what would cause Ridley to suddenly become DLC?

But why would Sakurai's opinion of Ridley change from the time when the initial roster was made to when DLC characters were decided? He's probably had the same opinion of Ridley this whole time, one in which he likely thinks Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character, and considering that he already almost definitely aware of Ridley's popularity, what would cause Ridley to suddenly become DLC?
You have a point, and I am sure I could easily find a replacement.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It would be more visibly pleasing if you could see all of the characters on the screen without the need to scroll it.
also I forgot to mention the lack of a new mario / spinoff mario character.
One of those is practically a necessity...
You could use the touch screen to scroll through the roster, its fast and I could easily adapt to it.
Not really necessary to me though for a 5th Mario character, Toad is not that much of an appealing character but he does warrant the 5th Mario spot more than any other Mario character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not only would he have more time to develop Ridley after the game launches, but money would change his mind. Charge 5 dollars for Ridley baby! Nint$ndo!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You could use the touch screen to scroll through the roster, its fast and I could easily adapt to it.
You could, but seeing the whole thing is still more visibly pleasing.
Not really necessary to me though for a 5th Mario character, Toad is not that much of an appealing character but he does warrant the 5th Mario spot than any other Mario character.
I didn't mean mario character alone. I meant Mario in general.
Smash 64 had Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Luigi.
Melee added Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario.
Brawl added Wario and Diddy Kong.

The Mario cast has progressively grown in each game, at least one new character from those 4 individualized franchises (or a new one entirely) is imminent.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I didn't mean mario character alone. I meant Mario in general.
Smash 64 had Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Luigi.
Melee added Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario.
Brawl added Wario and Diddy Kong.

The Mario cast has progressively grown in each game, at least one new character from those 4 individualized franchises (or a new one entirely) is imminent.
So you didn't see Dixie Kong on my roster?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So you didn't see Dixie Kong on my roster?
She's not a separate character. She's a tack-on to Diddy Kong who is fine on his own.
That's not adding a new character.

Also, you probably missed it because we're editing our posts as the other is quoting it but.
You could, but seeing the whole thing is still more visibly pleasing.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I see the screen like this, but the roster is at the center close up on the top 3DS screen.

You could scroll through the globe in an endless circular direction to find your characters. It also could give a nice 3d effect.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ridley takes extra development time to finish. Instead of delaying the game, adds Ridley as DLC. That would suck, but Ridley would be in the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ridley takes extra development time to finish. Instead of delaying the game, adds Ridley as DLC. That would suck, but Ridley would be in the game.
That's quite the hypothetical situation, one that doesn't seem very likely or plausible. First, if this were the case he'd probably be one of the last characters worked on... which seems unlikely for a multitude of reasons. Another, Ridley wouldn't necessarily be a complex character, just a large one. It's not like he'd take as much development time as a transforming character, or even ICs and Olimar.

But yeah... I guess it's technically possible. And it'd be better than getting no Ridley at all.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
She's not a separate character. She's a tack-on to Diddy Kong who is fine on his own.

So much implications. Why don't you ask him what he meant by a Diddy/Dixie duo? Are Zelda/Shiek, Samus/ZSS, and Popo/Nana all the same? Besides, she's literally always been paired with someone in all the main series games she's appeared in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom