• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well really no one can take your last comment to an extreme. Sakurai himself said he won't just add 3rd parties willy nilly. They have to be worthy so to speak. He recognizes the fact that this is a Nintendo fighter, which is why the 3rd parties have so much going against them. They have to be big, iconic. Or besties with Sakurai in Snake's case. That's why there won't be more than 3-4 3rd parties period.
... And that's what I'm talking about. Im not saying we'll have more than four, but perhaps if we do have four, neither character will be named Solid Snake or Pac-Man. You know, maybe those crazy Geno people will finally get their wish. I'd like to believe there are some surprises left.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I do know how licensing works, hun.
You know what, I don´t even know why should I keep responding you :joyful:.
If by now you are still saying that, good for you, by the way I don´t even main Snake, I don´t even care his inclusion but the arguments that you make against him because of the Licensing and that would be the nail in the coffin for him is so off the hand that I don´t even care responding. You have your arguments and I have mine lets see how the future will work for Snake. Good Luck Hun!
.n_n.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
As much as I hate to admit it, Snake is also the de facto face of Konami. So he's a very reasonable add. Very iconic character, even if his connection to Nintendo is so strong.

Mega Man was the face of Capcom before they went crazy and Sonic is Sega, quite literally now.

Third party characters should be the face of their companies. Because that means they are icons.
Snake is a big character, I'm not denying that. But his biggest reason was Sakurai and Kojima's relationship. Anyway that isn't the point I wanna get at. Down below is.
... And that's what I'm talking about. Im not saying we'll have more than four, but perhaps if we do have four, neither character will be named Solid Snake or Pac-Man. You know, maybe those crazy Geno people will finally get their wish. I'd like to believe there are some surprises left.
Geno isn't going to be added. Some random, not big 3rd party character will not be added either. Sakurai "doesn't just let any non-Nintendo character in" as he says. They need to be big deals. Sonic and Mega Man are big deals. That's why they're in. If there is a 3rd or even 4th 3rd party, it'll be Snake and/or some big Namco character (hopefully not Pac-Man, but I suppose he stand a good chance).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
...Anyways.

Since the topic of third party characters is being cycled through, I guess now would be a good time to see if anyone remembers a discussion where Sakurai mentioned how Solid Snake's presence contributed to Brawl having a more realistic tone. Still have yet to find it, but I'm sure it exists.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
...Anyways.

Since the topic of third party characters is being cycled through, I guess now would be a good time to see if anyone remembers a discussion where Sakurai mentioned how Solid Snake's presence contributed to Brawl having a more realistic tone. Still have yet to find it, but I'm sure it exists.
Seriously, just gonna glaze over that huh?

And yeah I'd like to see that. Are you really suggesting 1 character significantly influenced the whole art style of the game?

Reznor

work in progress
I think i'll box my starter for 6th gen I hate all the final forms
last good starters were gen 3 (and only 1 of them was good the others were ok)

...Anyways.

why would we want smash to have a "realistic tone"

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Much appreciated, I can't really explain it but there's something about trying to make movesets enjoyable. But for a character like Toad, I agree it is rather difficult to make him stand out to the rest of the cast as a lot of the material he has to work with is shared between the Mario crew in other games and with more and more characters being playable it gets harder to make an entirely unique moveset (But the Counter wasn't serious at all).

I'd be perfectly fine with just Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach, in fact this is what I'm expecting but it would pique my interest nonetheless to see an additional character for the Mario series whether it be Toad, Bowser Jr., etc.
Well it isn't your fault I don't like it. Toad just simple doesn't have many unique qualities. This IMO sucks, because I love him as a character. He doesn't stand out or do anything that just DEMANDS your attention like a Yoshi, a Marth, a Wario, or a Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

False statements? I love how you think I didn't know where the name thing comes from. Nice assumption, you know what they say about that...It was lazy. It was neat for Wario and almost logical because it inverses the "M" of Mario into a "W" and has the "Wa" part in Wario's name naturally. They forced the whole warui thing onto Luigi's name. And they spell Luigi differently but keep Mario in Japan? Nice try. Talk about false statements. They pronounce it "Ruiji" not spell it that way.
Time for a Japanese lesson.
ルイージ

You know what that says?
ル Ru
イー Double I
ジ Ji

Ruiiji.
So YES, they spell it different. You want to know why? For starters, THERE IS NO L IN THE JAPANESE LANGUAGE. And while they do have a "gi" kana, it is pronounced as it is in "Yu-Gi-Oh" while "ji" is used for the sound you'd get from saying the letter G.

And really, Wario's name is lazier when you actually use the thing in your head called a "brain". While it comes from "Warui Mario" the sheer fact that Wario is Mario with an inversed M is rather uninspired in itself.
With Waluigi, his name's a pun.
You literally can spell both Warui and Luigi's name.
Let's try it.

-Waruiiji

-Waruiiji

-Waruiiji

Then factor in where Luigi's name comes from. You think he was named that way simply because "Mario's Italian, his brother needs an Italian name!"? Nope. He was named that way because Miyamoto discovered how the Japanese word "ruiji" meant "similar". Being just a palette swap of Mario at the time, he was ruiji to Mario. Thus he became Luigi.
So, the full pun is that Waluigi's name is literally along the lines of "Evil Copy". And an anagram of the word "ijiwaru", which means "someone who is bad".

Yeah, more creative than Upside Down M Mario because "Warui" and "Mario" couldn't make a decent blend otherwise.
(Not talking down on Wario, he's one of my favorite characters. Just that his name is rather lazy.)

Waluigi looks awkward on paper, and was a very lazily created character with no inspiration behind it.
And Luigi and Wario weren't?
One was designed to be a frigging palette swap and the other was just "big fat evil Mario".

Waluigi was a cheap addition into Mario Tennis and that's all. He's a pointless character with no importance to the Mario franchise, unless you wanna say his appearances in Mario Party/Kart make him important somehow.
In the large scope of things, yeah, they do.
Important to the plot of the overall series? Not really.
But his continued presence in games and serving as a marketing figure for the franchise makes him far from having no importance at all. He may be below even Toad, but not below the likes of Geno and Wart.

He hasn't even gotten the good graces to appear in Warioware, and he is so often associated with Wario.
Nintendo R&D1 absolutely hates using characters they didn't create. In fact, that's what lead to Wario's conception; he was meant to be a one-time evil clone that personified their hatred of having to make a game for a character they didn't make.
Waluigi was made by Camelot, not by Nintendo R&D1. Do the math.

The fact that his 1st appearance in a Mario game was Mario Tennis also alludes to the fact that he was most likely created for that very reason. If his primary point of creation, as you say, was to be Luigi's rival, why wasn't he made earlier?
Did Luigi ever do anything important aside from being the Player 2, something he was snubbed from for years prior to Waluigi's creation, that absolutely needed Waluigi's existence beforehand? Not really. (And no, I'm not saying Waluigi had to be created at that point either, but the "why wasn't he created sooner" point is moot.)

And why has he continued to be snubbed in every non-spinoff Mario game to date?
There is no non-spinoff Mario game.
But aside from that, since the logic is referring to why he hasn't appeared in Mario platformers, it's very simple; why the **** WOULD he even appear? Not even Wario shows up there save for two occasions, one being his debut.
Waluigi wouldn't be tagging along with Mario; he's a rotten individual that would help no one but himself.
Waluigi and Bowser wouldn't work together; they don't get along. At all.
Waluigi isn't that much of a threat to take the role of "Villain of the Week" and give Bowser a vacation. I mean, his greatest plan to take over the Mushroom Kingdom? Steal the Music Keys so he usurps the throne with his superior dancing skills.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To be honest, at this point in the Super Smash Bros life cycle there hasn't appeared to be as much character discussion as with Brawl during the same time. Period. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're approaching a forty character roster now. Many of the characters people wanted then are playable now, and not many others have risen to the heights of previous characters.
First off, nothing will compare to Sonic hype, or ever will. That seriously was just a giant news story everywhere. It was on the front page of every major gaming site, plus sites like CNN, MSN, and Yahoo. I mean seriously, I saw a story of it and a ticker of it on CNN (on TV) for Christ's sake.

Second off, there aren't any characters that are as wanted as say Wario, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Olimar, etc. And if there are, it is probably Mewtwo.

K. Rool and Ridley are probably the next most demanded, and they are kinda sorta in the Ike/Meta Knight/Charizard tier.
Well, you are in the roster prediction thread right now, not the moveset prediction/how characters will play thread.
You won't find moveset, skillset, or playstyle talk too commonly in any thread. Apparently people forget that you play these games.

Also, seeing as how playable characters are meant to be played, not looked at, moveset, skillset, and playstyle theories and examples could be used as "proof" that a roster or character choice is "right."
guys the closer we get until the release date of Smash 4 the worse speculation will get
Eh, actually it depends. The dumb people they get dumber, the smart people they get smarter, the clueless people get more clueless, and the people who got are onto something inch closer and closer to finally understanding where the game is going.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
[collapse="Here's the main chart of what's been leaked as of 10/3/2013"]

[/collapse]
Is there a way to link this up with Smash Bros.? Say, potential PokeBalls?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
On a semi-related note regarding pre-Brawl:

To the pre-Brawl spectators - when R.O.B. was unexpectedly revealed, what exactly was the distinctive atmosphere like? From what I heard, it was abrasively intolerable, yet I would rather hear from those who bore witness to these events.
Well after Ness and Lucario were confirmed, we all figured that either the 45 or 39 character rosters were true. Both of them had R.O.B., so it wasn't really a surprise.
Ultimately, it wasn't that people didn't like R.O.B. per se, but that R.O.B. was chosen over other people's favorite/most anticipated character.
This, especially since he was already confirmed to be a common SSE enemy, which for a while initially threw us off.

Reznor

work in progress
[collapse="Here's the main chart of what's been leaked as of 10/3/2013"]

[/collapse]
Is there a way to link this up with Smash Bros.? Say, potential PokeBalls?
yay all the good pokemon are on Y :chuckle:

I really wanna see what Xerneas and Yvetal will do if they are pokeballs instead of stage hazards

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I loathe the day someone (especially a newbie) comes in here and tries to justify a 2nd Sonic rep.
Gameplay, movesets, skillsets, and playstyles, aka the most important things in terms of how characters play.

No one could deny that Tails and Knuckles could easily be unique playable characters in Smash.

BTW, I still think there is a minute backdoor chance Sakurai could have Tails or Dr. Eggman/Robotnik being playable. I have similar feels with Cranky Kong.
with Sonic being in 2 smash games now I bet we will hear way more people asking for 2 sonic reps
I would love to play as Tails and Knuckles. I know part of that is my 2 decade long love of Sonic games, but I truly feel if they were ever playable, they would be truly outstanding characters who would definitely stick out.

Reznor

work in progress
Gameplay, movesets, skillsets, and playstyles, aka the most important things in terms of how characters play.

No one could deny that Tails and Knuckles could easily be unique playable characters in Smash.

I would love to play as Tails and Knuckles. I know part of that is my 2 decade long love of Sonic games, but I truly feel if they were ever playable, they would be truly outstanding characters who would definitely stick out.
like you said I don't think anyone thinks Tails and Knuckles can't have good move sets the problem we would have is its 2 reps for a non nintendo game

the only 2nd sonic character I would be ok with is Eggman

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
yay all the good pokemon are on Y :chuckle:

I really wanna see what Xerneas and Yvetal will do if they are pokeballs instead of stage hazards
They'd likely use their signature moves... Forgot what they are, but Serebii.net has them listed.

Does a trio of all-humanoid starters make anyone think we're going to get a higher traffic of people supporting a Kalos Trainer? I wouldn't push for such a thing myself, but I feel like it's inevitable that we're now going to have people arguing for playable versions of the starters now more than ever. A few people, anyway.

Reznor

work in progress
They'd likely use their signature moves... Forgot what they are, but Serebii.net has them listed.

Does a trio of all-humanoid starters make anyone think we're going to get a higher traffic of people supporting a Kalos Trainer? I wouldn't push for such a thing myself, but I feel like it's inevitable that we're now going to have people arguing for playable versions of the starters now more than ever. A few people, anyway.
as some one who hates the Kalos starters i'm not looking forward to this also am I the only one who thinks a bunch of humanoid pokemon would be boring

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Time for a Japanese lesson.
ルイージ

You know what that says?
ル Ru
イー Double I
ジ Ji

Ruiiji.
So YES, they spell it different. You want to know why? For starters, THERE IS NO L IN THE JAPANESE LANGUAGE. And while they do have a "gi" kana, it is pronounced as it is in "Yu-Gi-Oh" while "ji" is used for the sound you'd get from saying the letter G.

And really, Wario's name is lazier when you actually use the thing in your head called a "brain". While it comes from "Warui Mario" the sheer fact that Wario is Mario with an inversed M is rather uninspired in itself.
With Waluigi, his name's a pun.
You literally can spell both Warui and Luigi's name.
Let's try it.

-Waruiiji

-Waruiiji

-Waruiiji

Then factor in where Luigi's name comes from. You think he was named that way simply because "Mario's Italian, his brother needs an Italian name!"? Nope. He was named that way because Miyamoto discovered how the Japanese word "ruiji" meant "similar". Being just a palette swap of Mario at the time, he was ruiji to Mario. Thus he became Luigi.
So, the full pun is that Waluigi's name is literally along the lines of "Evil Copy". And an anagram of the word "ijiwaru", which means "someone who is bad".

Yeah, more creative than Upside Down M Mario because "Warui" and "Mario" couldn't make a decent blend otherwise.
(Not talking down on Wario, he's one of my favorite characters. Just that his name is rather lazy.)

And Luigi and Wario weren't?
One was designed to be a frigging palette swap and the other was just "big fat evil Mario".

In the large scope of things, yeah, they do.
Important to the plot of the overall series? Not really.
But his continued presence in games and serving as a marketing figure for the franchise makes him far from having no importance at all. He may be below even Toad, but not below the likes of Geno and Wart.

Nintendo R&D1 absolutely hates using characters they didn't create. In fact, that's what lead to Wario's conception; he was meant to be a one-time evil clone that personified their hatred of having to make a game for a character they didn't make.
Waluigi was made by Camelot, not by Nintendo R&D1. Do the math.

Did Luigi ever do anything important aside from being the Player 2, something he was snubbed from for years prior to Waluigi's creation, that absolutely needed Waluigi's existence beforehand? Not really. (And no, I'm not saying Waluigi had to be created at that point either, but the "why wasn't he created sooner" point is moot.)

There is no non-spinoff Mario game.
But aside from that, since the logic is referring to why he hasn't appeared in Mario platformers, it's very simple; why the **** WOULD he even appear? Not even Wario shows up there save for two occasions, one being his debut.
Waluigi wouldn't be tagging along with Mario; he's a rotten individual that would help no one but himself.
Waluigi and Bowser wouldn't work together; they don't get along. At all.
Waluigi isn't that much of a threat to take the role of "Villain of the Week" and give Bowser a vacation. I mean, his greatest plan to take over the Mushroom Kingdom? Steal the Music Keys so he usurps the throne with his superior dancing skills.
Uhmm...seeing as Japan doesn't use the English alphabet, you kinda fail again. Luigi in Japanese is spelled with their characters, not Ruiiji. You're saying that translating it phonetically for them makes it "Ruiiji", but that's not actually how it's spelled in Japan. How stupid. Even more funny, you can even go to the Smash website and pick Asia-Japan and it has Luigi right there. Not Ruiiji. Derp.

Also explain how Waluigi isn't lazier than Luigi or Wario. Take Mario. He has 2 direct off-shoots. Evil version, and palette swap/Player 2 version. Waluigi is an off-shoot of Luigi, someone who was already a lazy copy of Mario. IE he's lazier than the reasoning behind Luigi or Wario. I can't believe you're even trying to defend him as a character. Luigi and Wario both have gone one to establish themselves as key Mario series characters, while we have Waluigi, the uninspired 4th plumber who has yet to do anything at all.

Also why would you compare Waluigi to one-off characters from Super Mario RPG? I mean the dude shows up to Mario Kart and Mario Party, so obviously he's above one-offs. He's still the eternal spin-off character. Regardless Waluigi isn't important to Nintendo's marketing at all. When do you see Waluigi ever advertised more than Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Toad, Jr., Paper Mario, or even anyone? They don't even focus on him for marketing the only games he shows up in, IE Mario Kart/Party.

There are no non-spin off games in Mario? So what exactly are Mario Kart and Mario Party and the Mario sports games? Main series games? I think not. They're spin-offs of the Mario series, which, as I'm sure you know, is known for platformers both 2D and 3D.

Until the day he is actually used alongside Mario or Luigi or even Wario in a main series game, he'll always just be some lazy evil clone of a clone of Mario who is uninteresting and boring.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
like you said I don't think anyone thinks Tails and Knuckles can't have good move sets the problem we would have is its 2 reps for a non nintendo game

the only 2nd sonic character I would be ok with is Eggman
Eh possibly that is the problem. We don't know where Sakurai stands on that, although if he really wanted Tails or Eggman, he could definitely add them easily.
My speculation thread was the biggest one during pre-Brawl. As a matter of fact, the Brawl roster in its entirety was first posted there.
Yeah, but that was purely a speculation thread. I don't like those kinds of threads often, unless I can use gameplay to change people's minds.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd like to see Swirlix and Malamar as new Poke Ball Pokemon in Smash 4.

and for some reason Malamar reminds me of Ghirahim from Skyward Sword.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously though Geno pre Brawl? Nightmare, especially for someone like me who was like, "What is this Mario RPG you speak of?"
Well every smash game has it's random trendy character (after the original).

Melee speculation had Poo ("you can't deny the undeniable coolness of Poo!"). Brawl speculation had Geno ("I serve... a higher authority.).

So far, Smash Wii U and 3DS have had a few, including everything Fire Emblem that isn't Chrom, Roy, Ike, or Marth, Groose, and probably a few other stupid ideas people forgot. However, there hasn't been one "mainstay" character quite like Poo or Geno thus far.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

Melee speculation had Poo ("you can't deny the undeniable coolness of Poo!"). Brawl speculation had Geno ("I serve... a higher authority.).

So far, Smash Wii U and 3DS have had a few, including everything Fire Emblem that isn't Chrom, Roy, Ike, or Marth, Groose, and probably a few other stupid ideas people forgot. However, there hasn't been one "mainstay" character quite like Poo or Geno thus far.
Ridley's a pretty big one too.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Don't forget Impa.

Reznor

work in progress
Eh possibly that is the problem. We don't know where Sakurai stands on that, although if he really wanted Tails or Eggman, he could definitely add them easily.
I think Nintendo has some say in who gets in (I think not 100% sure)

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I'd be a tad upset if a 2nd Sonic character made it in. I don't think it's necessary to have 3rd parties from the same game in, kinda a bit overkill to me. The Sonic fans should just be satisfied with Sonic because the fact that he's a 3rd party big enough to make it into a massive game about 1st and 2nd parties fighting each other is pretty neat.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Oblivion Wing and Geomancy.

Thinking about it, yeah they probably would try to use that to push for it, however, they're also getting mixed reception so that works against them. Personally, I like all three (especially Froakie's line) but I don't really want the Kalos trainer in the game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

I'm well aware of the popularity of Geno prior to Brawl's release, but this is the first time I've heard about Poo being a popular choice for Melee.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Ridley isn't trendy though.

His popularity has never died down... He seems to be a mainstay.

Eh. Just one guy. Not what I'd call trendy.
I think Johnknight was referring to characters who were very trendy random choices, such as Poo and Geno, being the "mainstays" of randos. Impa has been a character that is quite random, but I've seen a decent amount of people put her on rosters, usually replacing Sheik.

Shroob

Sup?
This is my conservative roster. Nothing exciting, just a fairly low key, safe, in my personal opinion, roster. This isn't my dream roster by any stretch, just what I feel like is a good guess towards the game's final characters.

A couple things went into making this:

1# I honestly believe with Toon Link shown so early, cuts will be at an all time low.

2# To my knowledge, Kojima dislikes the WiiU greatly and doesn't want his games on it. I myself want Snake to return but this is just a safe assumption.

3# I believe in the rumor that surfaced around E3.

Now, if this were my dream roster, it'd be much bigger. I myself find it really, REALLY strange that Nintendo showed all the Mario characters this early before the big, new game comes out, so I suspect SOMETHING will happen then, but until I get proven wrong, this is just my minimalistic roster prediction.

Attachments

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This is my conservative roster. Nothing exciting, just a fairly low key, safe, in my personal opinion, roster. This isn't my dream roster by any stretch, just what I feel like is a good guess towards the game's final characters.

1# I honestly believe with Toon Link shown so early, cuts will be at an all time low.

2# To my knowledge, Kojima dislikes the WiiU greatly and doesn't want his games on it. I myself want Snake to return but this is just a safe assumption.

Now, if this were my dream roster, it'd be much bigger. I myself find it really, REALLY strange that Nintendo showed all the Mario characters this early before the big, new game comes out, so I suspect SOMETHING will happen then, but until I get proven wrong, this is just my minimalistic roster prediction.
Yuck. I personally hope this doesn't happen. Why no K. Rool or Ridley?

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Not too bad at all. Definitely safe and conservative. I really don't think you should count Snake out, but it's understandable. I hate Miis. But oh well. Jigglypuff made your list so that makes it superb for me haha. That roster I feel is a great foundation, but I'd be disappointed with it. It needs some more spice or excitement. Maybe even another unexpected but unique character along with some Ridley or K. Rool action.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Conservative yet no Ridley or K. Rool or any Donkey Kong newcomer=??? :laugh:
I'm well aware of the popularity of Geno prior to Brawl's release, but this is the first time I've heard about Poo being a popular choice for Melee.
Yep. Actually, Poo was a pretty popular (joke) choice along with the Duck Hunt Dog before Brawl was revealed on May 10th, 2005 (my 16th birthday, lol! On that day I got my Wario and Snake, and the day after, I saw my Golden State Warriors win a playoff game live, including one of the best dunks of all-time!).

But yeah, it was kinda a joke that turned into a big deal.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

No Ridley, K.Rool or Palutena?

Interesting. Do you think those three won't be in for whatever reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom