• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reznor

work in progress
Because people like Snake.

And because no one really gives two ****s about Pac-Man (ok, some people do), and Lloyd is much less interesing than a dude who can use explosives and put people to "sleep" while going around in a sneaking suit.

Also, if you've played any Metal Gear game ever, you'd know that Snake bests everyone on that list on sheer charm alone.
never played a MGS game but I hear they are good

the only reason I think he shouldn't be in the next smash though is because Konomi isn't even doing anything with nintendo

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm.... Noah may be useful in coming up with some good counter arguments for the Professor Layton support thread that I'm planning to do. Then again, some of his arguments are kinda poor."Sakurai only adds third parties for having a long history with gaming?" No where did Sakurai ever say or imply that (And if he did, show me the source). The only requirements for them is that they have originated in a videogame and that they have appeared on Nintendo consoles, not when or for how long they have been running. Layton has originated in a videogame and his series have been very faithful for Nintendo consoles barring a few spin off's on the IOS and mobile/cell phone devices. Heck I'd say the series had been popular enough to even get a movie out of it. Which is quite the achievement I would say. Especially for such a young franchise.

Hey, every little helps I guess. If you guys see more Layton detractors coming up with arguments like this, let me know. So I can further work on my counter argument list.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I feel it was a valid argument back before we had that SEGA deal break out with Nintendo. But considering how things are looking between those two these days it's a bit of a tough call.

Also, Kojima hasn't really done anything much Nintendo specific these days, I mean sure, we got MSG3DS (which was a very poor port from what I hear), meanwhile Sony got Peace Walker on PSP, 2 Metal Gear collections, Metal Gear Rising, and MGSV: Phantom Pain is due for PS4... And yeah, sure those are on 360 as well, but nobody cares about M$ anymore.

Back in the day, Nintendo got SOME Kojima love in the likes of Botkai and Twin Snakes, but now it seems kinda left out. Well, I guess Castlevania Lords of Shadow counts, but I hear it's very 'bleh' as well. Plus, even though Snake is Kojima's starchild, and I doubt he'd ever vouch for Simon over him, Snake coming back is entirely on Sakurai's whim really.

Sonic on the other hand has more reasons to return, most notably SEGA's relations with Nintendo.
While I agree with most of what you said I have to adress 2 things.

The MGS3D thing. This was my first MGS game I ever played and I enjoyed it quite reasonably, though after beating it once there wasn't much else for me to do with it since when it comes to these kinds of games I don't really like going for every little thing I still found it to be really fun. And it also made me try out a MGS game on a PS2...... Good grief the controls for the PS2 game were horrible (I believe it was MGS2) compared to ther controls on the 3DS. ;-;

As for Lord of Shadows. Again this was my first Castlevania game and currently the only one I have played (trying to get other ones but that is proving tough to accomplish. And like with MGS3D it was reasonably fun and has me wanting to try other games in the series (the side scrolling platform ones anyway) but like MGS3D once I defeated it, and in this case completed it 100% but this is also a totally different genre from MGS, there was no reason for me to keep it. But it was pretty fun and is having me want to play other games in the series. :L

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Ew... third party discussion. Anyway, I'm hoping Snake and Sonic return (I can't see one there without the other). Three I would say should be the cap, but if there would be another, I would say Pac-Man. I would also LOVEEEEE if Sora was playable, but it's never gonna happen :(

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Roster time!

Main points of this roster:
-5 Mario slots
-5 Pokemon slots
-3 FE reps
-1 Konami rep
-1 Namco rep

Updates:
-Switched Paper Mario for Bowser Jr. Reason being that Paper Mario seems to lack a LOT of support.
-Expanded total character slots to 48

Notes:
-While Pac-Man is more likely, I went with Lloyd because he seems way more interesting. Also, Tales of Symphonia is getting an HD re-release (on the PS3 only :/ ) and I believe Namco just trademarked a couple of new Tales of games.
-Simon instead of Snake because Metal Gear moved on to the "HD" consoles. Castlevania games continue to come out on Nintendo portables, so he takes the spot.
-Lucario could easily stay instead of Genesect, but he's my most wanted character, so I threw him in.
-The 3 blue haired lords seem the most likely, but I'd rather see some other FE reps.

Now, please destroy my ideas.:cyclops:

Gune

Smash Lord
Ew... third party discussion. Anyway, I'm hoping Snake and Sonic return (I can't see one there without the other). Three I would say should be the cap, but if there would be another, I would say Pac-Man. I would also LOVEEEEE if Sora was playable, but it's never gonna happen :(
ew sora.

D

Deleted member

never played a MGS game but I hear they are good

the only reason I think he shouldn't be in the next smash though is because Konomi isn't even doing anything with nintendo
And that's a valid reason tbh.

However, I don't see any Namco rep getting in over Snake. He's far more popular and interesting than any possible Namco rep, including Alisa and KOS-MOS which are the only two that I'd care to see get in.

Plus, Snake getting back opens the door for him getting some new moves, some ideas fom PW would be awesome. Also it means we can see the Che Guevara inspired Big Boss show his face as an alt. costume. AND, we could even see this awesome piece as a stage:

Of course, since it's PSP, anything from Peace Walker is pretty off-limits, but there's still Snake Eater to borrow from, so...

Too bad though as the Fulton Recovery System makes more sense for an UpB for Snake.

Anyway, Metal Gear is awesome, it's easily one of my favorite gaming series of all time, despite the mature nature and tone, it still manages to find a way to be funny and campy at times which gives it a unique charm, one which is hard to find in modern games. Also, it's got a ton of references to cinema and pop-culture, as well as a bunch of very interesting philosophical themes that will make you ponder about life for weeks (stuff about Gene vs. Meme, and how our environment shapes us psychologically, an sci-fi, and conspiracy theories). Kojima is an interesting man, and he sure manages to make your head spin with a lot of things. I thoroughly recommend the series to anyone wanting a good game to play. I'd recommend starting with MGS4 which, while being the weakest entry in the series, is also the most accessible, plus it still sets the standard very high, and it only gets better from there.

As for the best in the series, over all it's a tie between MGS3 and PW imo, story-wise MGS2 is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of vidya. MGS1 is a classic and VERY good too. Twin Snakes is a decent port.

Reznor

work in progress
sora :facepalm:
whats next nartuo

Reznor

work in progress
Anime characters, a second sonic character, Steve from Minecraft, Spyro the Dragon...:p

Hey, at least this beats arguments with a kid whose name sounds like that of my favorite Queen's Blade character. :p
I've never seen queens blade :(

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Well...I wouldn't see it if you don't like an abundance of fan-service, but at least there's a fairly good story mixed in. And hey, if your armor is broken in battle, it's going to be revealing some things, I mean it's like a Soul Calibur battle taken up to the next level of armor breaking.

As for what I mean...there's a character called "Nowa", she's a half-elf girl who wields a staff.

And yes, it's pronounced the same as "Noah". Goddammit pronunciation...

Can we agree that both Sora and Naruto are meh and move on? :troll:
We're still talking about it? What is this, Youtube? :p

who would that be?
Look above.

Reznor

work in progress
You mean Nartuo and Soar. And yes, let's move on from something NOT third-party related. How about the Mario Franchise?
Waluig,King Boo and Fawful for smash4
still don't understand why some people (few in number) don't want waluigi

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Don't really care much about third party characters. If Snake gets cut, I won't be upset, because he's not really fitting anyways in my eyes.
If Sonic does, I'd care. He deserves that spot very much so, having his own series of crossover games with mario, and otherwise just because he's so popular and iconic. Shoot, I wouldn't be suprised if SEGA asks for him to be in. Looks like they've found a nice comfortable position as Nintendo's domestic dog as of late.
Megaman CERTAINLY belongs, for having a huge string of well selling games at the beggining of the home console era, exclusivley for Nintendo. I think he kindof helped kick start the way things are today. And in THAT respect, really the only other person I see as a truly worthy third party addition is Pacman. He is just....THE man. the Pacman, anyway. Talk about Megaman kickstarting, if not for Pacman's contribution who knows where we would be today? I mean sure, sort of a retro 3rd party addition, but so is Megaman. And I think Pacman and Sonic are the only 3rd party characters to have ever actually MET Mario in a game before.

So that said, if we get 4 3rd parties: Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Snake
If we get 3: Megaman, Sonic, Snake.
If we get 2: Megaman, Sonic.

I don't see anything wrong with having 4 though.

Edit: Whoops. Ok. Mario. Bowser jr. Yes. And mewtwo is confirmed to be genderless.

Reznor

work in progress
Roster time!

-5 Mario slots
-5 Pokemon slots
-3 FE reps
-1 Konami rep
-1 Namco rep

Updates:
-Switched Paper Mario for Bowser Jr. Reason being that Paper Mario seems to lack a LOT of support.

Notes:
-While Pac-Man is more likely, I went with Lloyd because he seems way more interesting. Also, Tales of Symphonia is getting an HD re-release (on the PS3 only :/ ) and I believe Namco just trademarked a couple of new Tales of games.
-Simon instead of Snake because Metal Gear moved on to the "HD" consoles. Castlevania games continue to come out on Nintendo portables, so he takes the spot.
-Lucario could easily stay instead of Genesect, but he's my most wanted character, so I threw him in.
-The 3 blue haired lords seem the most likely, but I'd rather see some other FE reps.

why is Zero suit samus her own character?

4 3rd parties is way to much
Dixie has more of a chance than King.K Rool
as much as I dislike Lucario he makes more sense than genesect

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well...I wouldn't see it if you don't like an abundance of fan-service, but at least there's a fairly good story mixed in. And hey, if your armor is broken in battle, it's going to be revealing some things, I mean it's like a Soul Calibur battle taken up to the next level of armor breaking.

As for what I mean...there's a character called "Nowa", she's a half-elf girl who wields a staff.

And yes, it's pronounced the same as "Noah". Goddammit pronunciation...

We're still talking about it? What is this, Youtube? :p

Look above.
It doesn't appear that she's wearing underwear in that picture.:p

But on a more serious note, I should have a new roster up soon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Roster time!

-5 Mario slots
-5 Pokemon slots
-3 FE reps
-1 Konami rep
-1 Namco rep

Updates:

Notes:

I like it. There really isn't much to say...

Oh, Simon instead of Snake seems unlikely to me, but I wouldn't mind.

D

Deleted member

It's nothing but boobs and fan-service, though I heard Noel Vermillion from Blazblue guested starred in it once. So I might look into just for Noel.

While I agree with most of what you said I have to adress 2 things.

The MGS3D thing. This was my first MGS game I ever played and I enjoyed it quite reasonably, though after beating it once there wasn't much else for me to do with it since when it comes to these kinds of games I don't really like going for every little thing I still found it to be really fun. And it also made me try out a MGS game on a PS2...... Good grief the controls for the PS2 game were horrible (I believe it was MGS2) compared to ther controls on the 3DS. ;-;

As for Lord of Shadows. Again this was my first Castlevania game and currently the only one I have played (trying to get other ones but that is proving tough to accomplish. And like with MGS3D it was reasonably fun and has me wanting to try other games in the series (the side scrolling platform ones anyway) but like MGS3D once I defeated it, and in this case completed it 100% but this is also a totally different genre from MGS, there was no reason for me to keep it. But it was pretty fun and is having me want to play other games in the series. :L
Sorry bro, didn't see your post.

Yeah, the controls in the first two MGS games are dated and take some getting used to. MGS3 pretty much reinvented the series (again).

Like I said, I heard the 3DS port is WAYYYY inferior to the PS2 version, and the PS3 port. I never tried it myself though, so I can't say. MGS2 is probably a bad next game to jump to, it's gonna confuse the **** out of you. It's still a great game though. Try Peace Walker if you can, it's very easy to play since it's made for on the go play meaning missions take around 20 mins a piece, plus, if you like Monster Hunter, there's a couple MonHun cameos in it (including a Hunting Mission where you hunt a monster using Snake).

I haven't played a single Lords of Shadows game, but I can tell you, the DS ones are all awesome, especially the 2nd and 3rd. Super Castlevania IV on SNES is a ton of fun, and I've been meaning to go retro and play the NES ones since I watched Game Grumps do it.

Symphony of the Night is supposed to be the best in the series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Over all, not too bad, but I feel the need to mention a few things.

• I don't see Zoroark being added, especially at Lucario's expense. He's much more popular than Zoroark is.
  • I don't see the Pokemon Trainer being removed.
  • For Fire Emblem, I could really only see a four slot scenario if it was Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom. Otherwise, a three-slot roster with Marth, Ike, and either Roy or Chrom is more likely.
  • If Snake gets removed, I don't see a different Konami character being added. In all actuality, I don't think Sonic or Snake's removals are too likely.
Other than that, I like it. 7.8/10

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's a pretty nice roster. Just have three small beefs with it:
  1. Pokemon should have as many slots as Mario and Zelda, but that's my opinion. I would add back the Pokemon Trainer (and possibly Lucario for Zoroark)
  2. I don't think having 4 FE reps is likely, or necessary. Personally, I would have Marth, Ike, and Micaiah (I loved Radiant Dawn), but, with me predicting, I say we will just see the three blue-haired swordsmen in the next installment.
  3. I'm not too sure with the 3rd Parties. If Snake and Sonic were a one-time thing, then sure, but I don't see them going anywhere.
Other than that, it's a damn good roster. 8.5/10

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It's nothing but boobs and fan-service, though I heard Noel Vermillion from Blazblue guested starred in it once. So I might look into just for Noel.
That's not entirely accurate. Sure there's some of it, but there's a pretty decent story mixed in with some pretty emotional moments in the second season. Just don't watch the english dub, because a certain character sounds exactly like a certain Pink Hedgehog...although, I've got to admit, it's absolutely hilarious to hear her voice actress say "B**ch" in Amy's voice.

As for what you're thinking of, you're thinking of the game "Queen's Gate", which also guest stars characters like Ivy from Soul Calibur, Lilly from Tekken, Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters, and a couple of Samurai Shodown characters including Mina Majikina and Cham-Cham.

Why does Pokemon have less reps than Mario and Zelda? Why are there four Fire Emblem characters? Why is Pokemon Trainer gone? Where is Sonic? Just...why?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not exactly. Just pointing out that SSB4 having a Brawl-sized roster or slightly less could always happen, much as people like to think it will have somewhere from 40 to 50+ characters.

D

Deleted member

That's not entirely accurate. Sure there's some of it, but there's a pretty decent story mixed in with some pretty emotional moments in the second season. Just don't watch the english dub, because a certain character sounds exactly like a certain Pink Hedgehog...although, I've got to admit, it's absolutely hilarious to hear her voice actress say "B**ch" in Amy's voice.

As for what you're thinking of, you're thinking of the game "Queen's Gate", which also guest stars characters like Ivy from Soul Calibur, Lilly from Tekken, Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters, and a couple of Samurai Shodown characters including Mina Majikina and Cham-Cham.

Why does Pokemon have less reps than Mario and Zelda? Why are there four Fire Emblem characters? Why is Pokemon Trainer gone? Where is Sonic? Just...why?

Oh, no Noel, no deal. I might give it a shot, but I doubt I'll stick with it if it's not immediately captivating. I normally drop most anime I watch if it's not like.... REALLY good. Unless I'm watching it with /a/, in which case, it's like I'm watching it "ironically" and for the banter with those guys. Like I did with SAO, which was also pretty terrible imo.

But yeah, I get bored of fanservicey shows rather quickly, plus I don't like getting blue-balled. To-Love Ru is the only one that I could KINDA watch, and that was only the OVAs, and just to see what the deal was all about.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ugh Queens Blade talk. I watched the first of that and was scared for life. It was just sick and disgusting (not in the good way) that I didn't watch another episode of it. e_e I think I will stick to Highschool dxd lol.

Sorry bro, didn't see your post.

Yeah, the controls in the first two MGS games are dated and take some getting used to. MGS3 pretty much reinvented the series (again).

Like I said, I heard the 3DS port is WAYYYY inferior to the PS2 version, and the PS3 port. I never tried it myself though, so I can't say. MGS2 is probably a bad next game to jump to, it's gonna confuse the **** out of you. It's still a great game though. Try Peace Walker if you can, it's very easy to play since it's made for on the go play meaning missions take around 20 mins a piece, plus, if you like Monster Hunter, there's a couple MonHun cameos in it (including a Hunting Mission where you hunt a monster using Snake).

I haven't played a single Lords of Shadows game, but I can tell you, the DS ones are all awesome, especially the 2nd and 3rd. Super Castlevania IV on SNES is a ton of fun, and I've been meaning to go retro and play the NES ones since I watched Game Grumps do it.

Symphony of the Night is supposed to be the best in the series.
Only Lords of Shadow I played is the one for the 3DS. And yea I want the ones on the DS, I just need to find them. lol

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
I forgot to add PT when making this roster, so that's my bad there. The 4 Fire Emblem characters was my FE fanboy side kicking in, so looking back, I probably did go overboard with Fire Emblem.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh, no Noel, no deal. I might give it a shot, but I doubt I'll stick with it if it's not immediately captivating. I normally drop most anime I watch if it's not like.... REALLY good. Unless I'm watching it with /a/, in which case, it's like I'm watching it "ironically" and for the banter with those guys. Like I did with SAO, which was also pretty terrible imo.

But yeah, I get bored of fanservicey shows rather quickly, plus I don't like getting blue-balled. To-Love Ru is the only one that I could KINDA watch, and that was only the OVAs, and just to see what the deal was all about.
Noel is in the game, but not the anime. And it's not a perfect anime, but it's alright. Want a really good anime? Watch Outlaw Star. ;)

Ugh Queens Blade talk. I watched the first of that and was scared for life. It was just sick and disgusting (not in the good way) that I didn't watch another episode of it. e_e I think I will stick to Highschool dxd lol.
Oh don't over-exaggerate yourself, it's not that bad. Kind of funny that you insult one while watching another that's just as, if not more, chalked with fan-service. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom