• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If Sakurai wanted furniture move sets, Villager would have them. Tom Nook is clearly just an idea, not a prediction.

NO! Despite my love for Viridi she would not fit as a playable character. She needs to be a stage background so I can listen to her wonderful dialouge while playing Smash. Same reasons Hades shouldn't be playable as his dialouge is just to good to not be used in Smash. >___>

But a serious non-fanboy answer of mine would be porbably not. Palutena is still the highest one and Viridi really doesn't have all that high chances even with the new stage. :/
Pit & Palutena are all we need, Medusa is the only other who has a chance.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
The point of DLC is to give players characters from the past Smash games, so really it's an experience you had before. So essentially, it gives you space for other characters.
3 3rd parties on the full roster is not much, right?

Also one question for everyone do you guys consider Tom Nook one of the best Nintendo characters?
I don't think we get 3 NEW third-parties, especially over the likes of Sonic and Snake.

And to the second question, no.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but it would not be the "full experience" as Sakurai intended, you getting a new character as DLC, which you might find out it is an incomplete experience. Having new characters as DLC also gives less opportunity for future newcomers in future Smash games. Having past characters is a good idea, because you have experienced them before.
I find the lack of more deserving characters an incomplete experience, and could you please explain how is having Tom Nook over Snake is a full experience. Anna over Ike? Prince Sable over Sonic? You're really just gimping the roster...that and what opossum said.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would like more opinions on this roster. (Besides Noah's)

I'll just state the changes.
- Sonic and Snake were removed and are now DLC to give opportunity for other characters. Probably risky though.
- Added K. Rool and Hades, was originally gonna add Nintendog.
Unfourtantly Anna getting in isn't all that likely due to the competition she has against more popular lords, despit her basically being the 2nd mascot of FE.
Sable just seem unlikely.
PT needs to be in the main roster.
I don't find Starfy all that likely in all honesty.
AC is very unlikely getting 2 reps.
KI getting 3 characters isn't likely to happen but if it does I doubt Hades would get in, Medusa or possibly Magnus have a better chance I think.

Other then that it is ok I suppose. :/

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I find it 50/50 in the end for Snake and 70/30 in the end for Sonic.

Sonic would make give them a huge marketing scheme of Mario VS Sonic VS Megaman which would bring in allot of money, not to mention Sega and Nintendo being BFFs atm.

Snake it depends on whether or not Kojima was satisfied with only having him in one Smash game and if Sakurai wants to keep him as a rep of a bond of friendship. However if Snake does get cut I expect him to be replaced with another Konami rep who can offer more to Nintendo's history, most likely a Castlevania character or Bomberman. :/

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok let's try to discuss something else,
Do you think it's possible Sonic and Snake will be cut in favor of other third parties?
Third parties are not really top priority in Smash.
I think if Sakurai had to only include one third party he would've picked Mega Man over Sonic and Snake, but no, I don't think those two will be cut in favour of other third-parties, I think Sakurai will try include them, Mega Man, and any other third-party together. That said, I do believe Sonic has a slightly better chance than Snake to return, but I think Sakurai will aim to have them both come back, they were pretty well received for Brawl and their popularity remains.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Snake maybe. Sonic? Nope.
I think if they remove 1 third-party that they'll remove both. Third-Parties tend to be one time things in games, and I think Sakurai would prioritze Nintendo characters over sonic in a roster that will have cuts. But, there is really no way we can know.

I think in the end, Sakurai would want to try something new, so that's why I have Megaman, Pac-Man, and Professor Layton as the third parties
He's never going to add Prof. Layton

I think if Sakurai had to only include one third party he would've picked Mega Man over Sonic and Snake, but no, I don't think those two will be cut in favour of other third-parties, I think Sakurai will try include them, Mega Man, and any other third-party together. That said, I do believe Sonic has a slightly better chance than Snake to return, but I think Sakurai will aim to have them both come back, they were pretty well received for Brawl and their popularity remains.
I doubt Sakurai wants too many third-parties. 2 should be the limit.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt Sakurai wants too many third-parties. 2 should be the limit.
I agree, but why should two be the limit? With a larger roster than Brawl (probably), increasing the amount of third-parties by one or two would still keep the ratio of Nintendo characters to non-Nintendo characters around the same.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Who said Professor Layton is impossible?
Try, everyone

1. Sakurai stated he doesn't let just any member participate from other companies.
  2. The third-party is suppose to be someone who has a long history in gaming and huge affiliation with Nintendo. Prof. Layton's only affiliation with Nintendo is them helping with the game.
  3. Why would Sakurai even consider Prof. Layton necessary? Why does he deserve a spot in the game like Metal Gear, Mega Man and Sonic The Fricking Hedgehog? Just because Nintendo helps with the game and it sells well? Nintendo helps with a lot of third-party titles that become exclusives.
  4. He adds Third-parties for being legendary, not being a good seller.
Prof. Layton is as likely as Chase McCain from Lego City: Undercover.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh so very wrong.

1. Sakurai stated he doesn't let just any member participate from other companies.
True, but Layton has plenty of merit to not just make him some random request.

2. The third-party is suppose to be someone who has a long history in gaming and huge affiliation with Nintendo. Prof. Layton's only affiliation with Nintendo is them helping with the game.
Nowhere were either of these requirements said. They need to be on a Nintendo platform. That's about it. Sure, characters who have made an impact will probably be the ones who end up making it, but Layton has made an impact, especially in Japan. His games are very popular in... several regions really, and having Nintendo exclusively publish your franchise in the two biggest markets out there is quite the huge affiliation. Plus Layton is a Nintendo exclusive character, more than can be said for the other three third-parties.

3. Why would Sakurai even consider Prof. Layton necessary? Why does he deserve a spot in the game like Metal Gear, Mega Man and Sonic The Fricking Hedgehog? Just because Nintendo helps with the game?
Popularity, demand, successful series, close relationship with Nintendo, creator said he'd like to see it (or something to that extent).

4. He adds Third-parties for being legendary, not being a good seller.
He adds third-parties for a variety of reasons, ranging from personal requests to high popularity. For pretty much the reasons of my last point, Layton has, maybe not as much going for him as Mega Man, but definitely enough to not be dismissed.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
Well, if we're only able to have 2 third-party characters, who else do you think will be in there with Mega Man?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Snake and Sonic will leave with each other holding hands.

One won't be in the game over the other. It's not good business.

Would prioritize a Square-Enix character before adding Layton. Layton doesn't have nearly as much Nintendo history as franchises like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy have, with being on Nintendo consoles since the NES.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good late afternoon everyone, how's everyone doing on this rather gloomy, cloudy day? A little update, there's only three more characters to draw and I'll be done with the requests so I can submit them. They should be done by later today, and if not today, then for sure tomorrow.

So, what's the topic of the hour?

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I really don't understand it when people say that if Snake leaves, Sonic will leave as well. Can someone explain this logic?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I dunno how Simon can get in unless Sakurai changes that one character per company rule he had back in Brawl.

Wouldn't mind that for getting Simon in, because he's a cool guy. But then we'd get even more of "add nuckles and tailz and eggman and amy and shadoe and silvah and blaze and metal sanic and-" I think you get the idea.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
If Sonic does return, they won't add any other Sonic character. They might as well make a Nintendo & Sega crossover game if they add more.

Simon probably won't get in, but I'm still remaining hopeful.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sonic is honestly the only other third party we need to get in now. Complete the duo of the two most popular third parties for Smash. Anyone else would just be icing on the cake.

EDIT: We don't LITERALLY need Sonic but it would be great for Smash's sales if he does come back.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
I still hope Sonic does return. That way we have the 3 kings of the platforming genre (Mario & Mega Man being the other two)

Reznor

work in progress
Sakurai liked Snake in Brawl and was happy with the positive response Snake and Sonic both had. Plus the salvaging from Brawl.
he might think the positive response was because hes a 3rd party and that any 3rd party would have gotten the same amount of positive comments
he probably doesn't think this though but there is a chance

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, getting Snake back would be ok, getting another new third-party might be cool (depending on who), but I'd be more than satisfied if we just got Mega Man and Sonic.

Reznor

work in progress
Yeah, getting Snake back would be ok, getting another new third-party might be cool (depending on who), but I'd be more than satisfied if we just got Mega Man and Sonic.
every ones inner child will freak out

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
This isn't about what you want. And why do you single out Pokemon Trainer???? No really, why do you think the many Pokemon newcomers should replace this specific Pokemon character? And again people want newcomers, but they also want veterans, and nobody wants your newcomers over other newcomers OR veterans.
wtw?

gentlemen its obvious who we are getting next another Retro character and its going to be

View attachment 1584
No Way Pbg hate Him

D

Deleted member

So... you'd prefer it if Snake was gone??

YOU MONSTER, HOW COULD YOU?!?

EDIT: I missed the "than," never mind, that kinda changes everything.

D

Deleted member

I really don't understand it when people say that if Snake leaves, Sonic will leave as well. Can someone explain this logic?
I feel it was a valid argument back before we had that SEGA deal break out with Nintendo. But considering how things are looking between those two these days it's a bit of a tough call.

Also, Kojima hasn't really done anything much Nintendo specific these days, I mean sure, we got MSG3DS (which was a very poor port from what I hear), meanwhile Sony got Peace Walker on PSP, 2 Metal Gear collections, Metal Gear Rising, and MGSV: Phantom Pain is due for PS4... And yeah, sure those are on 360 as well, but nobody cares about M$ anymore.

Back in the day, Nintendo got SOME Kojima love in the likes of Botkai and Twin Snakes, but now it seems kinda left out. Well, I guess Castlevania Lords of Shadow counts, but I hear it's very 'bleh' as well. Plus, even though Snake is Kojima's starchild, and I doubt he'd ever vouch for Simon over him, Snake coming back is entirely on Sakurai's whim really.

Sonic on the other hand has more reasons to return, most notably SEGA's relations with Nintendo.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I feel it was a valid argument back before we had that SEGA deal break out with Nintendo. But considering how things are looking between those two these days it's a bit of a tough call.

Also, Kojima hasn't really done anything much Nintendo specific these days, I mean sure, we got MSG3DS (which was a very poor port from what I hear), meanwhile Sony got Peace Walker on PSP, 2 Metal Gear collections, Metal Gear Rising, and MGSV: Phantom Pain is due for PS4... And yeah, sure those are on 360 as well, but nobody cares about M$ anymore.

Back in the day, Nintendo got SOME Kojima love in the likes of Botkai and Twin Snakes, but now it seems kinda left out. Well, I guess Castlevania Lords of Shadow counts, but I hear it's very 'bleh' as well. Plus, even though Snake is Kojima's starchild, and I doubt he'd ever vouch for Simon over him, Snake coming back is entirely on Sakurai's whim really.

Sonic on the other hand has more reasons to return, most notably SEGA's relations with Nintendo.
This.

D

Deleted member

why is snake before namco rep
Sakurai put snake in a smash bros game his favor is done
Because people like Snake.

And because no one really gives two ****s about Pac-Man (ok, some people do), and Lloyd is much less interesing than a dude who can use explosives and put people to "sleep" while going around in a sneaking suit.

Also, if you've played any Metal Gear game ever, you'd know that Snake bests everyone on that list on sheer charm alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom