• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I have a question for the Star Fox fans.

Before being included for the first time in Melee, how Falco did manage to be the second Star Fox character to be confirmed ?

I've seen here and there that he's considered as the "Luigi of the franchise".
Is it true ?
If so, what it has that distinguishes him to Slippy and Peppy in term of importance ?

I re-precise this question doesn't refer to the post-64 Star Fox games, and I've yet a little experience with this series.
As far as "roles" go, Fox was the leader, Falco was the ace pilot, Peppy was the veteran, and Slippy was the mechanic. By biography, it's known that Falco is an even better pilot than Fox is, which is why he is so cocky and takes longer to earn Fox's respect. On the other hand, Peppy provides more experience than raw skill, and Slippy isn't really that great of a pilot, being more of a technological expert.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
In any case, I randomly woke up at 3am this morning, saw the pic, and went back to sleep. In doing so, I had an SSB4 related dream.

It was Palutena's reveal trailer, but it also included other character reveals, a stage reveal, and a new game mode reveal.

After showing off Palutena, it showed off a new stage based on the ships from Subspace Emissary flying into Subspace, so like Poke Floats, but fighting on the Falcon Flyer, Samus' Starship, Halberd, etc. In showing off the stage, they introduced a new character, Pilot Samus, who fights in a miniature spaceship Nintendo Land style during the whole fight, leading everyone to give up on Ridley since Pilot Samus is our new Metroid character.

They then showed off a new game mode, Smash World, an absolutely gigantic open world adventure area, Smash styled. You just wander around a huge land that combines every Nintendo based world, patrolling and saving people from Nintendo villains, or terrorizing them with your powers.

Then, at the end, they introduced three new third party characters: Chun-Li, Liu Kang, and Ryu Hayabusa. This led to everyone believing that these would be our full roster of third parties, so everyone believed Snake was cut.

What was your reaction and if you can recall, the reactions of the general public (Here?)

?????????????

Smash Master
What was your reaction and if you can recall, the reactions of the general public (Here?)
Palutena was accepted. People liked the stage. Many people complained about "Pilot Samus," saying that Sakurai couldn't think of any better ways to represent Metroid than to keep adding more Samus variations. Smash World was mixed between positive and indifferent. People found Chun-Li and Liu Kang very confusing since Sakurai said "no fighting characters," and thought they were very odd choices anyway. With the addition of Chun-Li, many people thought perhaps SEGA would get a second character as well (since Mega Man and Chun-Li are both Capcom). Ryu Hayabusa was generally received well, but people were surprised he was picked over Snake.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Palutena was accepted. People liked the stage. Many people complained about "Pilot Samus," saying that Sakurai couldn't think of any better ways to represent Metroid than to keep adding more Samus variations. Smash World was mixed between positive and indifferent. People found Chun-Li and Liu Kang very confusing since Sakurai said "no fighting characters," and thought they were very odd choices anyway. With the addition of Chun-Li, many people thought perhaps SEGA would get a second character as well (since Mega Man and Chun-Li are both Capcom). Ryu Hayabusa was generally received well, but people were surprised he was picked over Snake.
That sounds fairly reasonable to be honest, that's what would happen if it were true. I think that unless insanely interesting Pilot Samus would cause a lot of rage.

Actually, I recall having another dream, much less random than the other one. Wanna hear that one instead?
Do both. No point mentioning something and then deciding not to talk about it.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Except to attract attention. I'm not a fan of posts like that, personally.
Eh, I just think it's a fun topic. He posts his dream, we discuss it's potential validity and how people would react etc etc. It's equivalent to just declaring we should talk about X but with some flavour text and maybe some options.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
OK, here's my "nonrandom" dream:
It starts out with Mewtwo meditating in a cave. He then hears something from outside. Meanwhile, Fox is flying in his Arwing, above Cerulean City. He nearly runs into a Fearow, but he manages to avoid. In the process, however, he accidentally fires two blasts at the cave, Cerulean Cave, which disturbs Mewtwo's meditation. He then leaps out of the cave in his X Mega form and bashes into the Arwing, sending it flying, which he gives chase. It crashes into Pokémon Tower, with Fox almost perfectly fine. M2 flies in through the hole the Arwing made, back in his regular form, and then some gameplay footage plays, with M2 against Fox inside the tower. The background music was the Pokémon Tower theme.
I can't quite remember anything past that. Though I think I recall the Halberd.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Now all you Palutena fans know how us Ridley fans have felt for so long.

Feel our pain. Let it run through you. <3

I'm joking, of course. This has even less of a hold on Pale Tuna's chances than Pyrosphere on Ridley.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Can we stop talking about this obvious dud pic? It's just meant to introduce a new stage, leave it be.
NOOOOOOO WE HAVE TO ASSIGN MEANING TO EVERY LITTLE THING BECAUSE REASONS!

Clearly Palutena is a stage hazard. Just look at that statue, she's too big to be playable. :troll:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So, do you guys think Mewtwo'll get an overhaul or just a buff?

I'm kinda hopin' just a buff. His moveset is quirky, but goddamn does it work (at least in Project M).

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

I'm kinda hopin' just a buff. His moveset is quirky, but goddamn does it work (at least in Project M).
As much as I hate to compare the official work to Project M's work, I think Mewtwo being made more similarly to the aforementioned would work perfectly for Smash Bros. 4. I always found him near impossible to use in Melee due to how slow and clunky he felt. His hitboxes were kinda ****ty as well. With Project M, I feel that he's much more versatile, especially with his tilts and aerial game. Dat tail, man. Dat taaail.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He'll maybe have a new move or two, but besides that it'll likely only be a buff.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet

Depends. If Mewtwo plays in his non-ME form, probably just a few good buffs.
If he plays in one of his ME forms, probably a huge overhaul.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
That said, I really just want to play as Mewtwo. THE Mewtwo. Not the Mega Formes. I like the Mega Formes (well, the Y one, anyway), but I 'd much rather be the actual Mewtwo.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
That said, I really just want to play as Mewtwo. THE Mewtwo. Not the Mega Formes. I like the Mega Formes (well, the Y one, anyway), but I 'd much rather be the actual Mewtwo.
Yeah I feel the same way. I don't expect them to put Mewtwo X or Y in anyway, it will most likely be Mewtwo's final smash.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
It's kinda weird to imagine Mewtwo or Lucario mega evolve without the help of a trainer, a Mega ring or a Mega Stone.
But then again, it's Smash Bros. so who cares about Pokemon cannon =p

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So...if I'm following things correctly, Cloud Mario would be OP. I mean, the dude's got that next level recovery.

But on to Mewtwo, I feel like he could get a new Special attack or two. But no major changes, as he's already a unique character. I'm interested in what kind of Final Smash he'd have though. I think I would prefer something that wasn't just Mega Mewtwo, but it seems like the most plausible choice no doubt.

It's kinda weird to imagine Mewtwo or Lucario mega evolve without the help of a trainer, a Mega ring or a Mega Stone.
But then again, it's Smash Bros. so who cares about Pokemon cannon =p
Exactly.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mewtwo's forms could be a Final Smash and a bonus Final Smash. After getting the Smash ball, the player can input a button sequence or hold a button to choose which form he wants. Mewtwo X or Mewtwo Y. Each one does something different. Perhaps X could do lethal damage to one opponent while Y can damage everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom