• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I disagree. Only the Ice Climbers had some bad special moves. MetaKnight, Diddy, Olimar, Snake and Falco have crazy good specials.
I meant all out of all moves in general, all of those characters have at least one useless or situational move expect for maybe Snake and Olimar.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant all out of all moves in general, all of those characters have at least one useless or situational move expect for maybe Snake and Olimar.
MetaKnight and Diddy not really actually.

Morbi

Scavenger
Could you explain why you think Medusa is technically more important?
I'm curious to why.
I don't know, as I stated, I did not play the original games. I thought that she was the main antagonist though (and Palutena was merely a gimmmick). Just something someone told me when I first joined.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't know, as I stated, I did not play the original games. I thought that she was the main antagonist though (and Palutena was merely a gimmmick). Just something someone told me when I first joined.
Well she's not.
Hades is.

At least in Uprising.
Palutena has an ongoing importance to the series that cannot be compared to any other character. She has the series named after her in Japan after all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Medusa and Palutena were on relatively equal footing before Uprising imo (even though the series is sort of named after Palutena and all in Japan), but Uprising shifted things drastically in Palutena's favour, and really without Uprising neither of them would have a chance anyway.

The only way I see Medusa getting in this time around is as a semi-clone.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Well she's not.
Hades is.

At least in Uprising.
Palutena has an ongoing importance to the series that cannot be compared to any other character. She has the series named after her in Japan after all.
Medusa is the main antagonist in the first KI game. That's the game Morbid was talking about.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Medusa and Palutena were on relatively equal footing before Uprising imo (even though the series is sort of named after Palutena and all), but Uprising shifted things drastically in Palutena's favour, and really without Uprising neither of them would have a chance anyway.

To Palutena, right?
And I completely agree. I would be surprised not to see Palutena, as many here know already.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
To Palutena, right?
And I completely agree. I would be surprised not to see Palutena, as many here know already.
At this point, she's starting to become a little less likely. A lot of people want to see her, but it's starting to become less of a reality.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
At this point, she's starting to become a little less likely. A lot of people want to see her, but it's starting to become less of a reality.
I don't know why. She's as likely as she's always been, it's just people losing faith in her (for some odd reason) that makes everyone think that.

Morbi

Scavenger
Medusa and Palutena were on relatively equal footing before Uprising imo (even though the series is sort of named after Palutena and all in Japan), but Uprising shifted things drastically in Palutena's favour, and really without Uprising neither of them would have a chance anyway.

Semi-clone to which character? Do you mean Palutena... if that is the case, I certainly doubt that that would happen. I just think that perhaps Medusa's relative importance to the series prior to Uprising shouldn't necessarily be disregarded. That isn't to say that I think she is more likely, of course. It is just that I also believe Medusa has a decent chance. However, it is mostly the Rosalina thing that made me change my mind. I don't think I should read too much into a single choice, but it is hard not to.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is a little challenging to view importance to the series as an important factor for Smash when Rosalina is the first newcomer revealed. I believe this is why many are losing faith in their "popular/likely" character of choice. It doesn't really help that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer weren't really asked for.

We have yet to see the entire roster. He might just be revealing the not so favorable characters initially to incite some hype later. I don't think we should use the 4 reveals so far as evidence to what the roster will look like (even though I am guilty of this myself).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People seem to lose faith in characters in part as we get further away from their last release, but it's important to remember that as far as roster timeframe is concerned, we're pretty much perpetually stuck in 2012 when the roster was created and likely finalized (for the most part).

To Palutena, right?
Yeah, Palutena. Medusa really doesn't seem to me to be the kind of character that would get included unless she was an easy addition. Also I very much doubt Sakurai will have two new original KI characters, and if we can only get one, it's going to be Palutena.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not sure if this is a serious post. No offense. Well, that's how I interpret and remember it
I probably should have kept the extra exclamation points and added in some angry faces.
Sorry if I sounded rude.

You still have a lot to learn.
So this means that DK's crouch is him having horrid memories of him getting smacked around by Cranky's cane?? Does this mean that when the DK stage is officially revealed that, "DK's Trauma could return at any second?"??????????

Morbi

Scavenger
People seem to lose faith in characters in part as we get further away from their last release, but it's important to remember that as far as roster timeframe is concerned, we're pretty much perpetually stuck in 2012 when the roster was created and likely finalized (for the most part).

Yeah, Palutena. Medusa really doesn't seem to me to be the kind of character that would get included unless she was an easy addition. Also I very much doubt Sakurai will have two new original KI characters, and if we can only get one, it's going to be Palutena.
The only notions that truly transition include our expectations and perspectives. Obviously the roster is the same as it was before reveal and very little will change. So pretty much what you said.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
It is a little challenging to view importance to the series as an important factor for Smash when Rosalina is the first newcomer revealed. I believe this is why many are losing faith in their "popular/likely" character of choice. It doesn't really help that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer weren't really asked for.

We have yet to see the entire roster. He might just be revealing the not so favorable characters initially to incite some hype later. I don't think we should use the 4 reveals so far as evidence to what the roster will look like (even though I am guilty of this myself).

It's amazing how just one character reveal has altered the expected roster from my viewpoint. I no longer see highly requested characters like Ridley or King K. Rool as shoe-ins anymore, and expect more "out of the blue" appearances.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Ridley: It's almost as something could appear at any second... PyroSphere
Mii: A wandering warrior could appear at any second... Find Mii
Palutena: The powers that may be could appear at any second...
Waddle Dee... The right hand of hands could appear at any second....
Zoroark: The facade could break at any second...
The list goes on and on.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's amazing how just one character reveal has altered the expected roster from my viewpoint. I no longer see highly requested characters like Ridley or King K. Rool as shoe-ins anymore, and expect more "out of the blue" appearances.
I never expected those characters as "shoo-ins" as they have a lot going against them too.
I still expect them though. Why would Sakurai knock out the most requested options for out-of-the-blues? They're cool, but even Sakurai knows that characters like Mewtwo and K. Rool are necessary.
And the only characters I consider shoo-ins are Little Mac and Mii. Palutena is very likely too.
And a DK rep and a FE rep is inevitable. But that's just me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I never expected those characters as "shoo-ins" as they have a lot going against them too.
I still expect them though. Why would Sakurai knock out the most requested options for out-of-the-blues? They're cool, but even Sakurai knows that characters like Mewtwo and K. Rool are necessary.
And the only characters I consider shoo-ins are Little Mac and Mii. Palutena is very likely too.
And a DK rep and a FE rep is inevitable. But that's just me.
I honestly wouldn't say that K. Rool is necessary anymore. Dixie and Cranky are now plausible replacements, Ridley has not match in the same way K. Rool has suitable alternatives. The obvious problem is his size (which impedes on development to an extent, I am not implying that they cant scale him).

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
With Rosalina's confirmation (considering she is a full-fledged Mario character), we could reasonably expect other veteran series to receive more characters (for example, Palutena for the Kid Icarus series, or a Fire Emblem character for the Fire Emblem series), in addition to new series.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still maintain that Medusa is a better option than Palutena because of her feel as a character, her role in the Kid Icarus series, and her ability to be unique compared to the rest of the roster. Saying she would never be added unless she was easy to add and would just be a semi-clone of Palutena is just as presumptuous and not necessarily even true as saying Palutena would only be in if she was easy to add, and would just be a semi-clone of Zelda. And you can say Uprising ruins her chances, but I don't think Skyward Sword ruins Ganondorf's chances of returning over Demise.

I honestly think Medusa and Palutena are competing far more closely for a place on the roster than 80% of people seem to want to even begin to admit.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel the same way. Especially for DK.
Honestly I don't find FE important enough to get 4 reps (at least before DK and Kirby).
Keep in mind FE got 2 in Melee whereas DK only got 1. In Brawl, they were equal in numbers.

Moral of the story is- Fans care way more about rep numbers than Sakurai does.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I honestly wouldn't say that K. Rool is necessary anymore. Dixie and Cranky are now plausible replacements, Ridley has not match in the same way K. Rool has suitable alternatives. The obvious problem is his size (which impedes on development to an extent, I am not implying that they cant scale him).
I feel that K. Rool is still necessary, especially for the completion of DK.
K. Rool is the main villain of DK, no character can replace that. If anything, Dixie is less necessary because Cranky can be the sidekick-ish character instead.
I still feel that both are necessary, but I'm just saying.
I still maintain that Medusa is a better option than Palutena because of her feel as a character, her role in the Kid Icarus series, and her ability to be unique compared to the rest of the roster. Saying she would never be added unless she was easy to add and would just be a semi-clone of Palutena is just as presumptuous and not necessarily even true as saying Palutena would only be in if she was easy to add, and would just be a semi-clone of Zelda. And you can say Uprising ruins her chances, but I don't think Skyward Sword ruins Ganondorf's chances of returning over Demise.

I honestly think Medusa and Palutena are competing far more closely for a place on the roster than 80% of people seem to want to even begin to admit.
I really don't. Sakurai would likely choose the most popular choice if he had to decide, at least that's what I think. They're really similar in context.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am just not sure if Sakurai would adopt his own adaptation of Kid Icarus. He has incorporated certain elements into Pit already. However, from the perspective of Sakurai, it wouldn't really feel right to use my own canon as opposed to the original source material. Essentially, he developed a glorified Kid Icarus fanfiction. So I am not so certain that Palutena is as likely as we think, if she had an equal standing to Medusa prior to Uprising, I honestly think it is safe to speculate that they are still on an equal level in Sakurai's mind. That is just my take on it and why I am beginning to think that Medusa has a chance.

I agree with you on the stigma that Medusa already has, it is certainly presumptuous.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really don't. Sakurai would likely choose the most popular choice if he had to decide, at least that's what I think. They're really similar in context.
I believe he would pick the character farther from a niche that is covered in the roster. Since he seems to be going for unique character choices with more varying contributions. Which would be more in Medusa's favor. Popularity doesn't necessarily give a character an instant pass if enough characters do similar enough things already.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Given that there's not a single mention of Medusa in Brawl (Palutena is everywhere, with Skyworld being named STGPALUTENA in the game), I doubt Sakurai thinks very highly of her.

Though I do maintain the stance that after Palutena, Medusa is the most likely Kid Icarus character.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Isn't K. Rool popular worldwide?
He's popular, but fans in Europe actually don't like him, for some reason. Then again, Nintendo doesn't really care about Europe, anyway.

On the subject of Palutena vs. Medusa, I pick Medusa because:
  1. She's a villain.
  2. She's a she.
  3. She has a very unique moveset, what with her staff and stone glare and whatnot. One of my secret most-wants, because people shoot her down for God-knows-why. Weirdly enough, people normally don't have reasons for her uninclusion other than, "Pally is more popular". Medusa is more unique and is really cool, including her design and personality.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Brawl occured before Kid Icarus Uprising, and Palutena was Pit's final smash. I don't think that in and of itself condemns anything.

I am just saying that I think Sakurai is going for unique character choice more solidly than he usually does, which could be enough to push Medusa ahead.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel that K. Rool is still necessary, especially for the completion of DK.
K. Rool is the main villain of DK, no character can replace that. If anything, Dixie is less necessary because Cranky can be the sidekick-ish character instead.
I still feel that both are necessary, but I'm just saying.

I honestly hope that you are correct, I am just saying that he isn't a shoe-in as he has some plausible competition. It isn't fallacious to assert that Donkey Kong can receive 2 additional characters, but if Sakurai had to pick just one... I am honestly not so certain he would pick the most ideal choice. Not only that, but don't most Japanese players not want him... because he is too big?

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
The obvious problem is his size (which impedes on development to an extent, I am not implying that they cant scale him).

You've answered your own question. Yes, Sakurai can re-scale King K. Rool, as he has already done for several other characters beforehand.

Size and shape are certainly not of a critical issue, at least not for K. Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom