• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
2 Mario characters?
Toad and Paper Mario.
The most deserving and my personal preference.

As for a duo there isn't really one I would love to see.
Banjo and Kazooie I suppose, although they wouldn't be a duo in the vein of Ice Climbers, they would be so much different.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Another Duo charater, let's see..

Plusle+Minum (two pichus)
Jesse+James (team rocket)
Din+Nayru (oracles)
Twinrova separated (don't recall their names)
Baby Bros. (no thanks, though)
Urban Champions

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd obviously pick Toad and I guess Bowser Jr. as they're arguably the next most important Mario characters. I wouldn't be adverse to Waluigi instead of Bowser Jr. though.

Another Duo type character? Banjo-Kazooie is the only important one with Nintendo ties I can think of off the top of my head. Shame it's impossible.
You could make arguments for Baby Bros. or Plusle and Minun I guess. Are there many other famous duos that don't have at least one half of them already included in the Smash roster(like Diddy and Dixie or Sonic and Tails)?

I would say that Kat and Ana might work as a decent duo. Same goes for the two duos you mentioned. Or maybe even Chrom and Lucina. :troll:

Din+Nayru (oracles)
Urban Champions

Not too sure on Team Rocket, those two are almost anime exclusive. It'd be like adding Ash instead of Red. I agree on the Baby Mario bros. It could happen, but I don't particularly want it to.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Din+Nayru (oracles)
Urban Champions
You know I always thought a tag-team could work.
Just an example of how it could work, with Chrom and Lucina:
Pressing A will have Chrom attack, and pressing B will make Lucina attack.
Pressing A and B at the same time will unleash the special moves.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You know I always thought a tag-team could work.
Just an example of how it could work, with Chrom and Lucina:
Pressing A will have Chrom attack, and pressing B will make Lucina attack.
Pressing A and B at the same time will unleash the special moves.

Not too bad of an idea. Though I did want every character to have their own A+B move. Seems like something that could give certain characters cool new attacks in their moveset.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
And now, random replies with your host, SchAlternate.
I seem to be incredible when predicting stages and Assist Trophies.
Let's see how you fare on the character department. :p
DON'T YOU F*CKING DARE TO PREDICT LIP AS AN ASSIST TROPHY
I was one of the only people refuting that fallacious argument that Spirit Tracks Link arbitrarily de-confirmed Toon Link. Believe it or not, most people at the time didn't realize Toon Link was predominately based on the Wind Waker design despite the Wind Waker taunt and the Wind Waker stage.
You seem to love the word "fallacious", don't you?
I think I'll have a new prediction: I will see half of Smashboards collapse rejoice with ultimate ecstasy when Mii and Pac-Man are confirmed. :troll:
Fix'd. :troll:
If someone is going to give Goku a mustache, they need to finish the job and give him a top hat. And a fancy suit, it only fitting you know.
You know it, darling! :cool:

And that was all for today! See you next Thursday!

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
So, out of curiosity, who do you guys think will be the next character who will suffer Skull Kid's terrible fate?
probably a Kirby or Mario character, my vote is maglor
DON'T YOU F*CKING DARE TO PREDICT LIP AS AN ASSIST TROPHY
I'm pretty sure no one wants that (though I haven't heard anyone say they didn't want lip in, so I could be wrong)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not too bad of an idea. Though I did want every character to have their own A+B move. Seems like something that could give certain characters cool new attacks in their moveset.
It would bring new playstyle to the game, mastering a tag-team for the ultimate combos. :cool:
The special moves for Chrom+Lucina though are at full power if both are together.
Without the other, the power of the Chrom or Lucina alone is halved.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The Mii or Palutena if I had to guess.
That's funny, considering that those are the two characters I had in mind if Sakurai decided to reveal a newcomer this month.

But seriously, they are two of the closest characters to shoo-ins. At least IMO. I would be extremely surprised not to see them playable.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, out of curiosity, who do you guys think will be the next character who will suffer Skull Kid's terrible fate?

Rosalina could end up as an assist. Maybe one of the Hunters from Metroid Prime 3, namely Rundas. Because Rundas is the best hunter of them all. I want to see Megaman's assist already! Even more so if it's HD Protoman or HD Bass. Maybe Tom Nook? I wasn't too sure if he was in the AC stage or not.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Not too sure on Team Rocket, those two are almost anime exclusive. It'd be like adding Ash instead of Red. I agree on the Baby Mario bros. It could happen, but I don't particularly want it to.
This leads me into a topic I find interesting. The fact that Smash really does represent the Pokemon anime, as well as the games.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Rosalina could end up as an assist. Maybe one of the Hunters from Metroid Prime 3, namely Rundas. Because Rundas is the best hunter of them all. I want to see Megaman's assist already! Even more so if it's HD Protoman or HD Bass. Maybe Tom Nook? I wasn't too sure if he was in the AC stage or not.
tom nook is not part of the AC stage, which is evidence to show that he is either a playable character, or more likely a assist trophy, or he could end up not being used which would be weird seeing of his importance in the games

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm starting to worry for Palutena.

I mean, I will never take her off my roster, but I'm starting to get doubtful. I'm scared.
It's probably because of people's opinions, don't let them scare ya.

tom nook is not part of the AC stage, which is evidence to show that he is either a playable character, or more likely a assist trophy, or he could end up not being used which would be weird seeing of his importance in the games
Or he's part of VIllager's final smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This leads me into a topic I find interesting. The fact that Smash really does represent the Pokemon anime, as well as the games.
The anime is in general the thing that determines which Pokémon is hot, and as a biproduct of that the games are also affected, which means that Smash is also affected. So yeah, the anime does affect Smash too, but not to the extent where anime characters will replace video game characters, as we can see with Red getting in over Ash, and the Poké Ball Meowth obviously not being Team Rocket's Meowth. So yeah, the anime kind of determines who can get in Smash Bros, but it's not going to be the anime adaptations who get in, but rather the video game adaptations (unless you're Japanese Mewtwo).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The anime is in general the thing that determines which Pokémon is hot, and as a biproduct of that the games are also affected, which means that Smash is also affected. So yeah, the anime does affect Smash too, but not to the extent where anime characters will replace video game characters, as we can see with Red getting in over Ash, and the Poké Ball Meowth obviously not being Team Rocket's Meowth. So yeah, the anime kind of determines who can get in Smash Bros, but it's not going to be the anime adaptations who get in, but rather the video game adaptations (unless you're Japanese Mewtwo).
If Ash gets in Smash, people will be requesting for Goku and Naruto. :troll:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'm starting to worry for Palutena.

I mean, I will never take her off my roster, but I'm starting to get doubtful. I'm scared.
Well, gods need devotion from humans to maintain their power. Your lack of faith only hurts her chances.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Maybe Ridley. (sad face)
He had his name hidden in the Assist Trophy files for Brawl.

The Misty trophy in Melee has her in her anime outfit.

She didn't actually originate in the Pokemon anime though, so I guess it's okay?

By that logic, maybe we could in fact have a talking Team Rocket Meowth?
Mewtwo in Melee seems based off Mewtwo from the first movie, and Lucario seems based off Sir Aaron's.

On the other hand, Meowth and Team Rocket came from the games, but the idea of Team Rocket's Meowth came from the anime, so I'm not sure...

-----

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Let's see how you fare on the character department. :p
With the reveal of Mega Man I'm on par with the majority of speculators. But, he was kind of a shoo-in.

DON'T YOU ****ING DARE PREDICT LIP AS AN ASSIST TROPHY!
Too late :troll:

Guyz! You know how offering hearts to Palutena doesn't do anything...what if secretly the amount of hearts you offer goes to Sakurai through Wi-fi so he knows whether or not to add her based on how much we love her!!! OFFER HER ALL THE HEARTS YOU HAVE SO WE CAN GET HER IN SMASH 4!!!
:gova:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I don't understand the idea that tomorrow Reggie will announce the New Zelda for WiiU when in a preview interview from Aonuma has tell that he will announce it in the E3 for 2014. So it will be between these games DK: TF, Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, Smash Bros or X (from all of them I think Bayonetta 2, FE X SMT, Smash Bros or X has the highest priority for the type of event, so the options narrow now to four games and I think the best one that could get hype for the people and media would be Smash Bros (in most websites the game that has many posts and is frequently asked about is Smash).

Talking about another type of Duo characters I would love to see playable are Donbe and Hikari (representing the Satellaview and the Text type of games <3).

.n_n.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Guyz! You know how offering hearts to Palutena doesn't do anything...what if secretly the amount of hearts you offer goes to Sakurai through Wi-fi so he knows whether or not to add her based on how much we love her!!! OFFER HER ALL THE HEARTS YOU HAVE SO WE CAN GET HER IN SMASH 4!!!
:gova:
Ok I'll start donating to Viridi. :troll:

Bajef8

Smash Ace
See you gotta think about it more. There are a lot more anime references in Smash.

- The most obvious is the fact that every Pokemon character, playable and Pokeball, have their anime cries. Hell, even Pokemon Trainer (who isn't called Red in Smash keep in mind) has Ash's voice.
- You can even say the fact that Sakurai chose to name the character the generic "Pokemon Trainer" was a nod to just Pokemon itself, not the games, instead of naming him Red. (I still think he did it because he didn't want to confuse the anime-watchers and young players who would be like, who is Red? Why no Ash? The character is obviously Red in my opinion and should be named such in the next game).
- Next, Jigglypuff herself continuing to be a character up til Brawl (and hopefully in Smash 4/5), when she was clearly a running gag from the anime. Even her Up-B is a reference to her anime appearance.
- Goldeen's running gag as a Pokeball Pokemon and flopping around like it did in a very early anime episode when Misty needed something good
- Misty's trophy (as already pointed out).
- And even as you pointed out, Pokemon characters are selected based on anime/movie popularity (arguably even Pikachu initially).

I just find it interesting that Smash's Poke-representation has always had lots of anime flavoring to it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Probably some minor side character like Prince Fluff or Anthony Higgs that people only bring up so it doesn't look as though they're ignoring Kirby or Metroid entirely as series in evaluating viable contenders.

Watch, with my luck, Ridley will be shown off as a half-assed stage hazard Monday instead.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Watch, with my luck, Ridley will be shown off as a half-assed stage hazard Monday instead.
Actually it will be Wii Fit Trainer discovering the lost city of Atlantis by mixing milk and cola. The poorly made papier-mache Ridley stage hazard being beaten like a pinata by Villager and Pit will be revealed next Thusday.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe Ridley. (sad face)
He had his name hidden in the Assist Trophy files for Brawl.

The Misty trophy in Melee has her in her anime outfit.

She didn't actually originate in the Pokemon anime though, so I guess it's okay?

By that logic, maybe we could in fact have a talking Team Rocket Meowth?
Mewtwo in Melee seems based off Mewtwo from the first movie, and Lucario seems based off Sir Aaron's.

On the other hand, Meowth and Team Rocket came from the games, but the idea of Team Rocket's Meowth came from the anime, so I'm not sure...

-----

Pretty sure almost every Pokemon character is one way or another inspired by the anime rather than the games.

Pikachu: He's the absolute icon, but mostly the anime pushed his popularity.
Jigglypuff: Her role in the anime. (And to some minor extent, the manga). Otherwise she's just a nobody. (Love her though)
Mewtwo: Movie popularity mostly.
Lucario: Movie advertising.
Pichu: Not sure on this one but there was a movie about Pichu as well.

Then there's the fact that they use the anime voices, instead of the chiptune sounds from the games. (And to my knowledge, even to this day, in Pokemon X/Y, they still have chiptune grunts rather than saying their names out loud).

So I think it's pretty much a guarantee that Pokemon is based on their anime counterparts to a larger extent.
Would love to conclude the idea I have on Pokemon Trainer, but I can't, I guess he represents the games more than the anime.

EDIT:
The only thing that seems not to have come through from the anime, is all the expressions of the Pokemon. When getting hurt, when being angry, when being sad, etc. Pika's face is always the same in smash. He closes his eyes at least. But I recall when Jiggs got teary eyed in SSB64 when she got hurt. I loved that. :D in a sad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom